PDA

View Full Version : Can a 6-5 UNI or ISUr get into the dance?

Preferred Walk-On
November 12th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Full disclosure: I am of the opinion that the MVFC is one of the (if not the) toughest conferences, and as such, I am a bit biased when it comes to selection of MVFC teams for the playoffs.

As it sits, ISUr is at 6-5, had a strong finish to their season (win vs SDSU, @ WIU, and a solid win against an MiSU team they should have beat) and an FBS win against a solid B1G team.

UNI is 5-5, with a chance to be 6-5 if they beat SDSU (which some on this forum have as a potentially seeded team). They are also finishing their season on an uptick (dominant wins against teams they should beat, MiSU 61-7 and ISUb 39-6, and a win @ WIU) and have an FBS win (albeit against a poor Big 12 team).

WIU in the playoffs last year set a precedent. Although YSU and WIU will probably have better overall records (8-3 and 7-4, respectively, assuming both win next week) than UNI or ISUr, it is possible that UNI will have a better conference record than WIU.

The point is, UNI and ISUr will be at best 5th and 6th in the MVFC with respect to overall records, and at best, 3rd and 5th with respect to conference records. Yet, I feel that they are as good, or perhaps better than YSU and WIU. I believe the MVFC is at least a 3-4 playoff team conference (again, my bias is probably showing).

The question: NDSU and SDSU are in. Which of the other MVFC teams (if any) should be in, and with respect to UNI and ISUr, should both, either, or neither get into the playoffs?

PantherRob82
November 12th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Yes

leatherneck177
November 12th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Ok, so I think committee takes one of the 6-5 teams, most likely 6-5 UNI IF they beat SDSU. 7-4 Western gets in this year, pool of potential at large candidates is THIN. I think two of th three make it....UNI, WIU or ISUr depending on what plays out. To answer your question, yes.

Thin in pool helps all three teams.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2016, 09:25 PM
IN:

NDSU
SDSU
YSU

Maybe:

Ill State
UNI
WIU

Of the last 3, I think Ill State might have a slight edge with the NW win. Although UNI would have a better conference record of 5-3 if they beat SDSU to finish the year. WIU has to win this coming week for sure....6-5 probably will not do it this year for them. Ill State is done for the year at 6-5. It will be really interesting to see how it ends up.

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Since the bubble is weak, a 6-5 will end up getting in. So short answer, yes.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2016, 09:26 PM
I think a 6-5 UNI or a 6-5 ISUr would be in strong consideration. I think ISUr's win over Northwestern in particular would be hard to overlook in that committee room.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 12th, 2016, 09:28 PM
I think a 6-5 UNI or a 6-5 ISUr would be in strong consideration. I think ISUr's win over Northwestern in particular would be hard to overlook in that committee room.

I agree. ISUr win over Northwestern is very impressive. The Wildcats record is by no means impressive but they're legitimately good.....

Bisonator
November 12th, 2016, 09:29 PM
I hope not. 3's plenty. No more MVFC teams. It's bad enough having to play 8 a year. **** them! Bring on some MEAC's or more PL teams.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2016, 09:36 PM
I hope not. 3's plenty. No more MVFC teams. It's bad enough having to play 8 a year. **** them! Bring on some MEAC's or more PL teams.

I think the MEAC winner is committed to the bowl game against the SWAC winner. But maybe another team can make it....maybe.

Preferred Walk-On
November 12th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Yes

Sorry, I was a bit vague and did not title the thread well. I was really wondering if both UNI and ISUr should get in at the expense of WIU (and possibly YSU, although I believe YSU should be in at this point)?

PantherRob82
November 12th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Sorry, I was a bit vague and did not title the thread well. I was really wondering if both UNI and ISUr should get in at the expense of WIU (and possibly YSU, although I believe YSU should be in at this point)?

I knew what you meant. Welcome to the board. :p

- - - Updated - - -

I think WIU is trending in the wrong direction right now.

PantherRob82
November 12th, 2016, 10:09 PM
WIU has lost 4 of 7 and their 3 wins during that period are by a combined 5 points.

Twentysix
November 12th, 2016, 10:46 PM
I agree. ISUr win over Northwestern is very impressive. The Wildcats record is by no means impressive but they're legitimately good.....

5-5 Northwestern > 2-8 Iowa State.

Bisonwinagn
November 12th, 2016, 11:04 PM
5-5 Northwestern > 2-8 Iowa State.

committee doesn't give a **** about wins obviously. The question is who did these teams lose to?

JSUSoutherner
November 12th, 2016, 11:16 PM
committee doesn't give a **** about wins obviously. The question is who did these teams lose to?
L-S-U! L-S-U! L-S-U! Best loss in the FCS! :D

RabidRabbit
November 13th, 2016, 06:15 AM
L-S-U! L-S-U! L-S-U! Best loss in the FCS! :D
Until Chatty loses to Alabama next week.

slostang
November 13th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Does a 6-5 MVFC team get in over a 7-4 Cal Poly team that beat SDSU?

verk62
November 13th, 2016, 10:23 AM

They shouldn't but probably will, similar to what happened to UND last year. Every team from the MVFC is considered better because of how the conference is viewed and the fact NDSU keeps winning national titles.

slostang
November 13th, 2016, 10:29 AM
They shouldn't but probably will, similar to what happened to UND last year. Every team from the MVFC is considered better because of how the conference is viewed and the fact NDSU keeps winning national titles.
Cal Poly beat SDSU on the road and SDSU is sitting at the top of the MVFC with NDSU. If the MVFC is as good as most think that win and a 7-3 record against the FCS should get Cal Poly in. Their 4th loss was to FBS Nevada in OT.

JSUSoutherner
November 13th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Until Chatty loses to Alabama next week.
Best single loss then. UTC also has Wofford in the L column which cancels out the value of the Bama loss.

It's science!

verk62
November 13th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Cal Poly beat SDSU on the road and SDSU is sitting at the top of the MVFC with NDSU. If the MVFC is as good as most think that win and a 7-3 record against the FCS should get Cal Poly in. Their 4th loss was to FBS Nevada in OT.

I am in agreement with you but I think we are likely in the minority... at least on this board.

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2016, 11:25 AM
I think the biggest issues for Poly will be where they fall in the Big Sky standings and how they have played as late. The committee favors hot teams. At 6-5 I imagine they are for sure out, at 7-4 What the committee will do is anyone's guess.

JALMOND
November 13th, 2016, 12:10 PM

Cal Poly and Montana should both be in over UNI. Cal Poly has a win over SDSU and Montana beat UNI as well. And if they let Montana in, they should look at Northern Colorado as well before any 6-5 MVC teams.

cpacmel
November 13th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Cal Poly and Montana should both be in over UNI. Cal Poly has a win over SDSU and Montana beat UNI as well. And if they let Montana in, they should look at Northern Colorado as well before any 6-5 MVC teams.

Northern Colorado at 6-4 assuming they beat Cal Poly, has absolutely NO RIGHT to get in over 6-5 Illinois State or 6-5 UNI. That's insane.

verk62
November 13th, 2016, 12:26 PM

Northern Colorado is not a playoff team, and I don't think Montana is either but they do have the name brand thing going for them.

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2016, 01:33 PM
If UNI is 6-5 they would also have a win over SDSU. They also would have an FBS win and Western Illinois.

All Poly has right now is SDSU and Montana.

Not saying who should be in, just saying they would both share a win over SDSU.

kalm
November 13th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Then there's Weber. They should finish 7-4 and are a blown lead OT loss to USD from being a virtual lock. They finish 7-4 with the head to head over Poly but Poly has two better wins against SDSU and Montana.

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Then there's Weber. They should finish 7-4 and are a blown lead OT loss to USD from being a virtual lock. They finish 7-4 with the head to head over Poly but Poly has two better wins against SDSU and Montana.

Everything everywhere is a mess.xlolx

WrenFGun
November 13th, 2016, 02:13 PM
I think ISU-R has a really solid chance of getting in at 6-5 unless UTM stuns JSU.

The big problem for UNI is Montana. If Montana gets to 7-4, they are probably out unless Weber State loses (I can't see how you take them over CP or No. AZ as they lost to both teams), and if Montana's out, how do you let UNI in? I think ISU-R is the team with the shot, but I doubt the committee wants to deal with a 6-5 UNI team that would have wins over WIU and SDSU. Is it possible WIU is out if UNI wins regardless?

It wouldn't STUN me if all 3 got in, or if UNI/ISU got in over WIU. Crazy.

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I think ISU-R has a really solid chance of getting in at 6-5 unless UTM stuns JSU.

The big problem for UNI is Montana. If Montana gets to 7-4, they are probably out unless Weber State loses (I can't see how you take them over CP or No. AZ as they lost to both teams), and if Montana's out, how do you let UNI in? I think ISU-R is the team with the shot, but I doubt the committee wants to deal with a 6-5 UNI team that would have wins over WIU and SDSU. Is it possible WIU is out if UNI wins regardless?

It wouldn't STUN me if all 3 got in, or if UNI/ISU got in over WIU. Crazy.

Curious why Illinois State is solid compared to the others.

Redbird007
November 13th, 2016, 03:07 PM
PantherRob, just noticed your new helmet and quote. Thanks for the laugh. I will be watching that game too and all of this will make the playoffs even more enjoyable.

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2016, 03:09 PM
PantherRob, just noticed your new helmet and quote. Thanks for the laugh. I will be watching that game too and all of this will make the playoffs even more enjoyable.

I aim to serve. :D

WrenFGun
November 13th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Curious why Illinois State is solid compared to the others.

Illinois State doesn't have the problem of losing to Montana on their resume -- somehow it might actually be HELPFUL for them to have lost to a lower quality team (EIU) who isn't in the running. Totally, entirely illogical, but the fact that the committee doesn't HAVE to take UNI over Montana despite the OOC loss out of conference is probably appealing.

Illinois State is 4-1 in their last five with an FBS win over a good team and wins over SDSU, WIU and Northwestern. They do have concerning losses to EIU, Indiana State and South Dakota, of course. I think if UNI beats SDSU, it's pretty hard for me to say they don't have a better resume, and a better conference record, so I think the committee will just have to deal with the Montana Conundrum.

The interesting question is ... is WIU out even with a win if UNI wins? They'd have lost to BOTH UNI and ISU-R, finished behind UNI and would've been smoked by a SDSU team that would've lost to both UNI and ISU-R.

I really have no idea what the committee is going to do. That's why all 3 could get in, or none could. It's an impossible spot and whatever justification they lose will be a tough one. I think the one with the least amount of issues is ISU-R from a committee perspective.

Twentysix
November 13th, 2016, 04:56 PM
I think ISUr is the first up for playoff consideration in the event that a 6-5 MVFC team is taken.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 13th, 2016, 05:08 PM
I think ISUr is the first up for playoff consideration in the event that a 6-5 MVFC team is taken.

UNI would have a 5-3 conference record compared to Ill State's 4-4. Who knows what criteria the committee will use....xscanx

kalm
November 13th, 2016, 05:14 PM
UNI would have a 5-3 conference record compared to Ill State's 4-4. Who knows what criteria the committee will use....xscanx

Conference record like conference affiliation shouldn't be a factor. Compare resumes.

steelers#58
November 13th, 2016, 05:17 PM

How so? UNI will finish higher in the conference standings: 5-3 vs. 4-4. That alone is usually a criteria tiebreaker outside of head-to-head. I think UNI should run up the score on SDSU (if possible) to make the win look convincing, matching what ISUr did against them. Looking at common conference losses to YSU and NDSU, UNI lost by a smaller margin and were in a position to win it, if not for the coaching :). Not to mention overall SOS and whatever ratings metric you're looking at, if UNI wins they should get the bid over ISUr.

Now, there's a part of me that thinks the committee wants to avoid any MVFC drama and take only 2 or 3 teams this year.

steelers#58
November 13th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Conference record like conference affiliation shouldn't be a factor. Compare resumes.

How do you compare resumes without common opponents? If you use the various ratings systems, the MVFC should have 5 or 6 teams in the playoffs just based on SOS and power rankings. And then do look at tosee if the teams are playing better now than when they were earlier in the year? I would argue that if UNI had Dunne playing earlier in the season, we would have beat Montana, YSU, and possibly EWU and NDSU. And for the record, I am being a homer on this, but not wearing the purple colored glasses. I think UNI has gotten it together so far. The game against SDSU will be a proving point.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 13th, 2016, 05:31 PM

Conference record is part of the resume when comparing Ill State and UNI.

Redbird007
November 13th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Generally speaking and assuming that the rest of the FCS falls favorable for the MVFC teams, WIU loses to SIU and both ISUr and UNI will be in if UNI defeats SDSU. ISUr needs either WIU or UNI to lose to solidify their position. Otherwise if WIU/UNI win I do understand UNI's argument of invitation due first before ISUr receives one, or at least they are both deserving. UNI beating SDSU is not an upset in my opinion nor is SIU defeating WIU. Analyze WIU's 2016 record and results. The good news for WIU is that they control their destiny meaning win your in and lose donezo.

leatherneck177
November 13th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Generally speaking and assuming that the rest of the FCS falls favorable for the MVFC teams, WIU loses to SIU and both ISUr and UNI will be in if UNI defeats SDSU. ISUr needs either WIU or UNI to lose to solidify their position. Otherwise if WIU/UNI win I do understand UNI's argument of invitation due first before ISUr receives one, or at least they are both deserving. UNI beating SDSU is not an upset in my opinion nor is SIU defeating WIU. Analyze WIU's 2016 record and results. The good news for WIU is that they control their destiny meaning win your in and lose donezo.

Nailed it.

WrenFGun
November 13th, 2016, 06:33 PM
I think it's possible WIU is third in the pecking order behind UNI and ISU-R if they both finish 6-5, though all three seem to have playoff worthy resumes to me!

kalm
November 13th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Conference record is part of the resume when comparing Ill State and UNI.

Why compare conference records when you can compare the entire schedule? Especially when you have unbalanced conference schedules? My point is their conference record pales in comparison to quality wins, bad losses, etc.

For example: Weber State will most likely finish 6-2 in conference, 7-4 overall. They got blown out by USU, lost at home to USD, and beat Sac 14-7 OOC. Weber lost to UND and NAU in conference and didn't play Montana or EWU

Cal Poly will finish 5-3, 7-4 overall. They took Nevada to OT, beat SDSU on the road, and beat a playoff team in San Diego. They lost by one score on the road to Weber State. They lost to UND, beat Montana at home, and lost to EWU. They didn't play NAU but played a tougher conference schedule.

Who has the better resume?

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Why compare conference records when you can compare the entire schedule? Especially when you have unbalanced conference schedules? My point is their conference record pales in comparison to quality wins, bad losses, etc.

For example: Weber State will most likely finish 6-2 in conference, 7-4 overall. They got blown out by USU, lost at home to USD, and beat Sac 14-7 OOC. Weber lost to UND and NAU in conference and didn't play Montana or EWU

Cal Poly will finish 5-3, 7-4 overall. They took Nevada to OT, beat SDSU on the road, and beat a playoff team in San Diego. They lost by one score on the road to Weber State. They lost to UND, beat Montana at home, and lost to EWU. They didn't play NAU but played a tougher conference schedule.

San Diego is a playoff team, but let's not act like that indicates that they are a good win. xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 13th, 2016, 06:55 PM

It is part of the whole resume. You don't discount it like you did.

When comparing UNI and Ill State....AS PART of looking at their resumes, is that UNI has a better conference record. Now what the committee looks at is anyone's guess with how they have come up with their rankings so far.

Thumper 76
November 13th, 2016, 07:01 PM

Love it. One bad game and now SDSU is the underdog against UNI and there's talk of even trying to run the score up on them. Never mind that they beat NDSU in Fargo and dumptrucked YSU and especially WIU. Obviously an underdog who it's possible to run the score up on xlolx

Besides WIU what's the good team UNI has won against? Don't get me wrong I'm worried about this game as a Jackrabbit fan, but good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Love it. One bad game and now SDSU is the underdog against UNI and there's talk of even trying to run the score up on them. Never mind that they beat NDSU in Fargo and dumptrucked YSU and especially WIU. Obviously an underdog who it's possible to run the score up on xlolx

Besides WIU what's the good team UNI has won against? Don't get me wrong I'm worried about this game as a Jackrabbit fan, but good grief.

I don't get it either. Only chance of talking about UNI as good is IF they win Saturday.

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2016, 07:14 PM

Generally you're right but in the case of UNI and ISUr they don't play each other this year so their 8 conference games are all common opponents. So I do think UNI will get some points from the committee for having a better record against those common opponents. I also think that ISUr gets points for having a better FBS win. UNI, however, has "better losses".

At 6-5 this 2016 UNI team would be remarkably similar to 2015 WIU (all the way down to upsetting SDSU in week 12 to get their 6th win) so I do think UNI would slide in ahead of ISUr because of the Redbirds bad losses to ISUb and EIU.

kalm
November 13th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Generally you're right but in the case of UNI and ISUr they don't play each other this year so their 8 conference games are all common opponents. So I do think UNI will get some points from the committee for having a better record against those common opponents. I also think that ISUr gets points for having a better FBS win. UNI, however, has "better losses".

At 6-5 this 2016 UNI team would be remarkably similar to 2015 WIU (all the way down to upsetting SDSU in week 12 to get their 6th win) so I do think UNI would slide in ahead of ISUr because of the Redbirds bad losses to ISUb and EIU.

Agreed. I just had an issue with using conference record as a metric...as if that matters. It's goimg to come down to the finer details of the schedule as a whole rather than "5-3" vs. "4-4".

Redbird007
November 13th, 2016, 07:39 PM

I didn't state that the Jacks were an underdog rather I think this UNI vs SDSU same is a true toss up given that UNI is trending/playing well right now and must win. This is a tough game to call but I do not see it as an upset as I feel UNI is a good team. PLease prove me wrong so get your Jackrabbits ready to play Thumper as this game is huge not only for SDSU and their seed but also for ISUr's playoff possibility.

Redbird007
November 13th, 2016, 07:41 PM

YEP, unfortunately.

ST_Lawson
November 13th, 2016, 07:45 PM

I agree, UNI is playing well, but they're going to have their hands full with SDSU. I think that part of the reason that people are talking like they're assuming that they'll win is just because if they lose, then this whole conversation is essentially null and void. They don't win and there's pretty much no way UNI is in the discussion.

BisonFan02
November 13th, 2016, 07:50 PM

Take it as an omen. You guys tend to play a **** ton better as a dog than a front runner. xthumbsupx

Thumper 76
November 13th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Take it as an omen. You guys tend to play a **** ton better as a dog than a front runner. xthumbsupx

Troof

Bisonwinagn
November 13th, 2016, 07:56 PM

It's more about UNI being a much better team since they changed QB. They're not the same team they were early in the year and it's November. When is the last time UNI lost in November? Also SDSU is coming off a rivalry game and playing on the road which is the same game they lost last year.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 13th, 2016, 08:25 PM
CP is not getting in

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RabidRabbit
November 13th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Note that the teams that are considered for 6-5 records from the MVFC would all have an FBS win, 2 of the 3 FBS wins were vs P5 teams, and their resumes would also include wins vs others in the play-off field. In that last regard, Cal Poly at 7-4 should be considered, likely ahead of 6-5 MVFC teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Conference record isn't always as highly regarded as it might initially seem. In 2012, Towson went 7-4 with two losses to FBS schools, the 10-1 conference champ (ODU) and 7-4 JMU. They destroyed UNH on the road 64-35. and ended with an identical conference record with UNH and had a head-to-head win over them. UNH went to the playoffs. Towson stayed home.

LeeshaJo
November 14th, 2016, 01:14 AM

This. .... 1000 times this

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2016, 07:48 AM
If UNI loses this is all moot.

Here is my take, though, in the unlikely even UNI wins this weekend. So both would be 6-5. You would consider the NW win better than Iowa State for sure. OOC FCS ISUr has a win over Valpo and a loss to EIU. UNI OOC FCS has losses to Montana and EWU. So those are better losses than EIU, but it is one more FCS OOC loss. Then you compare conference games. They would have lost to the same 3 in NDSU, YSU, and USD. However, ISUr would have the bad loss against ISUb. Then the committee looks to see how a team is playing at the end of the year, and that is really similar as well. ISUr has wins over SDSU, WIU, and MSU. While UNI would have wins over ISUb, WIU, and SDSU. Almost identical.

All in all I think UNI has a slight edge over ISUr. The resumes are very very close, but UNI with the SOS advantage and less bad losses gets the edge. This is my opinion on the matter. Again really probably won't matter after Saturday though.

jacksfan29
November 14th, 2016, 11:08 AM
How so? UNI will finish higher in the conference standings: 5-3 vs. 4-4. That alone is usually a criteria tiebreaker outside of head-to-head. I think UNI should run up the score on SDSU (if possible) to make the win look convincing, matching what ISUr did against them. Looking at common conference losses to YSU and NDSU, UNI lost by a smaller margin and were in a position to win it, if not for the coaching :). Not to mention overall SOS and whatever ratings metric you're looking at, if UNI wins they should get the bid over ISUr.

Now, there's a part of me that thinks the committee wants to avoid any MVFC drama and take only 2 or 3 teams this year.

Your going to get the refs to incorrectly call back 2 SDSU touchdowns? ISUr are the frontrunners for the MVFC getting a 6 win team in and had they not had SEVEN bad calls against them when playing USD they would likely be a 7 win team. ISUr has gotten better as the season has gone on. They are a better team than UNI right now.

Oh, and I think SDSU should run the score up on UNI. A nice 56-7 drubbing of UNI and UND having a bye week would be our only shot at the 8th seed.

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Conference record isn't always as highly regarded as it might initially seem. In 2012, Towson went 7-4 with two losses to FBS schools, the 10-1 conference champ (ODU) and 7-4 JMU. They destroyed UNH on the road 64-35. and ended with an identical conference record with UNH and had a head-to-head win over them. UNH went to the playoffs. Towson stayed home.

That's true, but UNH also had an additional DI win, so you're not comparing apples to apples here.

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2016, 11:36 AM
If UNI loses this is all moot.

Here is my take, though, in the unlikely even UNI wins this weekend. So both would be 6-5. You would consider the NW win better than Iowa State for sure. OOC FCS ISUr has a win over Valpo and a loss to EIU. UNI OOC FCS has losses to Montana and EWU. So those are better losses than EIU, but it is one more FCS OOC loss. Then you compare conference games. They would have lost to the same 3 in NDSU, YSU, and USD. However, ISUr would have the bad loss against ISUb. Then the committee looks to see how a team is playing at the end of the year, and that is really similar as well. ISUr has wins over SDSU, WIU, and MSU. While UNI would have wins over ISUb, WIU, and SDSU. Almost identical.

All in all I think UNI has a slight edge over ISUr. The resumes are very very close, but UNI with the SOS advantage and less bad losses gets the edge. This is my opinion on the matter. Again really probably won't matter after Saturday though.

Again, I think UNI probably should be ahead of ISU-r in the pecking order if they beat SDSU on Saturday -- but again, how do you deal with the Montana problem? If Montana gets in, it's not an issue for UNI to also get in, but what if Montana loses to Montana State or doesn't get in at 7-4? Can you really take a 6-5 UNI then who would have a H2H loss and 1 less DI win? Again, in my projections, Montana is OUT short of a CP or Weber loss, so isn't it easier for the committee to just take ISU-r? Can't tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing that their season is over.

TheRevSFA
November 14th, 2016, 11:37 AM
No

Who am I kidding? One of them will get in.

Daytripper
November 14th, 2016, 11:43 AM
IF Chatty loses to Alabama next week.

FIFY

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Again, I think UNI probably should be ahead of ISU-r in the pecking order if they beat SDSU on Saturday -- but again, how do you deal with the Montana problem? If Montana gets in, it's not an issue for UNI to also get in, but what if Montana loses to Montana State or doesn't get in at 7-4? Can you really take a 6-5 UNI then who would have a H2H loss and 1 less DI win? Again, in my projections, Montana is OUT short of a CP or Weber loss, so isn't it easier for the committee to just take ISU-r? Can't tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing that their season is over.

I think you can. You would look at how both teams have played of late. I think it is hard to look at how UNI has played recently (especially if we beat SDSU) and how Montana has played recently and think that UNI isn't currently the better team despite losing to them early in the year. Especially if you go back to when UNI made the QB change. We would be 4-1 since switching the QB with the only loss being to NDSU in which we had a decent chance to win (of course had we won this would again be a moot point). The committee should be looking at all these things. I guess who knows if they will though.

JSUFightingCocks
November 14th, 2016, 12:34 PM
I believe that any team that beat NDSU, or gave them a run for thee money deserves the #1 seed! We have a so of course we have NDSU at 1, followed by SDSU, and then a 4 way tie for third (EWU, CSU, UNI, and... IOWA). xnodx

steelers#58
November 14th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Your going to get the refs to incorrectly call back 2 SDSU touchdowns? ISUr are the frontrunners for the MVFC getting a 6 win team in and had they not had SEVEN bad calls against them when playing USD they would likely be a 7 win team. ISUr has gotten better as the season has gone on. They are a better team than UNI right now. Oh, and I think SDSU should run the score up on UNI. A nice 56-7 drubbing of UNI and UND having a bye week would be our only shot at the 8th seed. I think UNI will have their hands full this Saturday against SDSU and I'm not taking the game for granted. I mention running up the score because it seems no one knows what the criteria is that the committee will be looking at. Last week when UNI had a sizable lead against WIU, Farley went conservative on offense and defense, that allowed the score to be closer than the game actually was. So if the same situation presents itself for UNI this week, I'd like to see UNI keep playing aggressively on both sides of the ball. And I would expect and understand if SDSU had a large lead to. As you said, it could be what you need to be seeded going into the playoffs. We can agree to disagree when it comes to ISUr's worthiness over UNI's for the playoffs. Just like ISUr had some bad breaks otherwise they would be a 7-win team, the same happened with UNI. If it weren't for some questionable coaching decisions, UNI should have beaten YSU. The thing is, UNI has been in all of the games that they lost this season. Poor coaching decisions, execution, and turnovers have kept the wins down. Just as you've said that ISUr has gotten better as the season went on, so has UNI. I think both teams deserve a shot in the playoffs, and both are teams that no one wants to meet. Unfortunately both can't get in there.

cpacmel
November 14th, 2016, 02:16 PM
As you said, it could be what you need to be seeded going into the playoffs.

Not just seeding, but South Dakota State has a chance to win a conference championship. Something I am pretty sure they haven't done since they were in the Great West conference in 2007. Before that it was 1963 (North Central Conference). So this is obviously big for them.