PDA

View Full Version : Without a seed, does it matter if UND wins this week?

70MilesFromCanada
November 11th, 2016, 04:53 PM
I am assuming that UND will not get a seed. Because they play their last game tomorrow and then have a bye, are they really playing for anything (other than a possible Big Sky co-championship) in the FCS playoffs?

A loss would put them at 8-3 and probably get them an at-large berth.
A win leaves them at 9-2 and would probably not get them a seed (assuming EWU continues to win).
Many posters feel that a match-up with either SDSU or Montana will be a road game because they will outbid UND.

Who are we rooting for? Is USD the only chance for a home playoff game?

FargoBison
November 11th, 2016, 05:35 PM
It matters I guess, if you want to be firmly in and plus there is a shot you could draw San Diego or WIU. Both would be guaranteed home games.

That said I think if UND wins, they'll be seeded.

Laker
November 11th, 2016, 05:52 PM
It always matters if you win. You want to be ranked as high as possible. Even if you have to go on the road, you would rather play someone closer to your ranking.

It sure beats not making the playoffs.

POD Knows
November 11th, 2016, 06:10 PM
No way UND gets a seed

cidgrad89
November 11th, 2016, 06:16 PM
It wouldn't suprise me if Chatt loses this Sat and UCA next Sat. So yeah, UND has a lot to play for.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2016, 06:17 PM
No way UND gets a seed

Wofford beats Chatty....SHSU beats UCA...JMU beats Nova...UND getting a seed would be pretty much a lock, not sure why SDSU would jump them.

BucBisonAtLarge
November 11th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Damn. You're a little pessimistic. UND is in the committee top 10 and is playing a decent NAU team that is 4-2 in-conference. Win and it sounds completely plausible to me, especially as everyone else has another week to screw up. You will be undefeated in-conference. That counts for something at selection time. Anywhere outside the 701 area code these would be good times.

centennial
November 11th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Let's just hope UND losses by 4 touchdowns, and then we can have more angry workout threads.

POD Knows
November 11th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Wofford beats Chatty....SHSU beats UCA...JMU beats Nova...UND getting a seed would be pretty much a lock, not sure why SDSU would jump them.

Chatty would have to lose, the BSC doesn't deserve two seeds, if SDSU wins out, they deserve a seed.

nevadagriz
November 11th, 2016, 06:27 PM
If you lose are you looking for a reason to say "it don't matter"
Winning always matters.
Your team does not want to have a two week break after a loss to sit and stew on.

70MilesFromCanada
November 11th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Damn. You're a little pessimistic. UND is in the committee top 10 and is playing a decent NAU team that is 4-2 in-conference. Win and it sounds completely plausible to me, especially as everyone else has another week to screw up. You will be undefeated in-conference. That counts for something at selection time. Anywhere outside the 701 area code these would be good times.

Okay, I'll be more optimistic.
UND gets a seed.
UND gets two weeks to rest because of their bye.
UND wins at home.
Will they get funneled to the FDome for the quarterfinals, or does the regionalization/travel crap not apply?

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Okay, I'll be more optimistic.
UND gets a seed.
UND gets two weeks to rest because of their bye.
UND wins at home.
Will they get funneled to the FDome for the quarterfinals, or does the regionalization/travel crap not apply?

They will totally go through the Fargodome.

Professor Chaos
November 11th, 2016, 06:56 PM
What would this guy say?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/b5-iJUuPWis/maxresdefault.jpg

Bisonwinagn
November 11th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I am assuming that UND will not get a seed. Because they play their last game tomorrow and then have a bye, are they really playing for anything (other than a possible Big Sky co-championship) in the FCS playoffs?

A loss would put them at 8-3 and probably get them an at-large berth.
A win leaves them at 9-2 and would probably not get them a seed (assuming EWU continues to win).
Many posters feel that a match-up with either SDSU or Montana will be a road game because they will outbid UND.

Who are we rooting for? Is USD the only chance for a home playoff game?

Win and Hopefully get a seed. Guarantees home game. Will only play NDSU if the seeds match up. Plus don't forget the conf championship is the goal for most teams. The NC is great, but typically not the first goal for anyone. Never look down on a conf title.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 11th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Win tomorrow and a good chance of a #7 or #8 seed depending on what other teams do.

CappinHard
November 11th, 2016, 11:56 PM

You're not sure? SOS and beating NDSU in Fargo just doesn't do it for you, eh?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2016, 05:04 AM

Does a 8-3 Jacks team have a better resume than a 9-2 UND team that is 8-0 in conference and co-champs of the BSC?

Wisent
November 12th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Does a 8-3 Jacks team have a better resume than a 9-2 UND team that is 8-0 in conference and co-champs of the BSC?

With wins over NDSU, Youngstown, Western Illinois, and a solid performance against a likely bowl-bound Big XII team, SDSU indeed does have a better resume than UND. UND has played only one ranked team all year and that was a marginal Cal Poly team. That's the problem with a weak schedule like UND's, even a good record will get no respect.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2016, 07:31 AM
With wins over NDSU, Youngstown, Western Illinois, and a solid performance against a likely bowl-bound Big XII team, SDSU indeed does have a better resume than UND. UND has played only one ranked team all year and that was a marginal Cal Poly team. That's the problem with a weak schedule like UND's, even a good record will get no respect.

That is a good argument....that is why I asked the question.

Thumper 76
November 12th, 2016, 07:33 AM

It depends which set of rankings we are going off of from the committee really. First week rankings, then no they do not. Second set obviously not at the moment, but the second ranking seems to be trending towards favoring the results of SDSU having big wins with a tougher schedule. Best case is enough teams lose in the top 8 for both to jump in, that would create a regionalization nightmare for the committee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70MilesFromCanada
November 12th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Ditto.

FargoBison
November 12th, 2016, 07:40 AM

With this committee...I'm not sure of anything.

Wisent
November 12th, 2016, 07:47 AM
That is a good argument....that is why I asked the question.

I'd also add that having watched both teams a couple times this year. SDSU is, in my opinion, simply a better team.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 07:52 AM

If SDSU wins out and UND beats NAU and SDSU doesn't get the seed before UND, that would be utter bull****.

Wisent
November 12th, 2016, 08:04 AM
If SDSU wins out and UND beats NAU and SDSU doesn't get the seed before UND, that would be utter bull****.

Well, UND whined enough about not making the playoffs last year, maybe the committee feel sorry for them this year.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Of course that marginal Cal Poly team beat SDSU in Brookings. I'd have SDSU slotted above UND right now but the selection committee once again has a boner for good losses it seems. I don't think losing to ISUr and Cal Poly is getting SDSU any good loss points (whatever those are) with the committee. Of course UND also lost to Stony Brook but that was in week 1. In the end I think the common opponent outcomes with Cal Poly will give the committee the excuse it needs to slot UND higher than SDSU.

EDIT: SDSU does have a big opportunity this week against USD though. If they win emphatically that might open some eyes on the committee since UND needed a big 4th quarter comeback and OT to beat USD.

Wisent
November 12th, 2016, 08:07 AM

Well, UND whined enough about not making the playoffs last year, maybe the committee will feel sorry for them this year.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Of course that marginal Cal Poly team beat SDSU in Brookings. I'd have SDSU slotted above UND right now but the selection committee once again has a boner for good losses it seems. I don't think losing to ISUr and Cal Poly is getting SDSU any good loss points (whatever those are) with the committee. Of course UND also lost to Stony Brook but that was in week 1. In the end I think the common opponent outcomes with Cal Poly will give the committee the excuse it needs to slot UND higher than SDSU.

EDIT: SDSU does have a big opportunity this week against USD though. If they win emphatically that might open some eyes on the committee since UND needed a big 4th quarter comeback and OT to beat USD.

If ISUr wins out and is 4-4 in the MVFC and 6-5 overall how is that a bad loss for SDSU. I personally think ISUr would kick UND's ass. But I would agree that it really depends on how SDSU finishes, solid wins by them should put them over the top of UND

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Well, UND whined enough about not making the playoffs last year, maybe the committee will feel sorry for them this year.

I would love to see a SDSU/UND game. SDSU would win and I don't think it would be close.

taper
November 12th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Winning always matters. A 2-3+ score loss to NAU today could leave UND on the outside looking in. Wouldn't be the first time an 8 or even 9 win team stayed home.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Winning always matters. A 2-3+ score loss to NAU today could leave UND on the outside looking in. Wouldn't be the first time an 8 or even 9 win team stayed home.

Wow, I don't know if I would go that far, I think they still get a playoff spot.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2016, 08:24 AM
I would love to see a SDSU/UND game. SDSU would win and I don't think it would be close.

UND's defense is pretty darn good. Maybe their pass coverage is their weak link but if a match up was in GF, it wouldn't surprise me if they beat the Jacks.

taper
November 12th, 2016, 08:27 AM
It would take a big loss maybe some other help to leave them out, but it's definitely possible. Just win and it won't matter.

Thumper 76
November 12th, 2016, 08:36 AM
UND's defense is pretty darn good. Maybe their pass coverage is their weak link but if a match up was in GF, it wouldn't surprise me if they beat the Jacks.

Do you think their defense is better than a NDSU or YSU defense? So far the only thing that's kept us under 24 points has been NDSU having to pull 3 stops inside the five and two TDs taken off the board by refs in the ISUr game. I'm not saying that we would be incapable of losing to UND, but they will need their offense to play well. I haven't seen anybody really shut down the SDSU offense, just contain it.

Thumper 76
November 12th, 2016, 08:38 AM
If ISUr wins out and is 4-4 in the MVFC and 6-5 overall how is that a bad loss for SDSU. I personally think ISUr would kick UND's ass. But I would agree that it really depends on how SDSU finishes, solid wins by them should put them over the top of UND

It's a bad loss IMHO. That and SDSU is in a real catch 22 for their last two games. Both teams are very capable of beating the Jacks and will likely be tough games, but if State beats both of them then they don't look like good wins either because they will have losing records.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2016, 08:38 AM
I don't think it's a bad loss either unless ISUr inexplicably loses to MSU today. But I don't think the committee views is at a "good loss" either. Hell, they don't even view NDSU losing to SDSU as a "good loss" based on what their committee chair said. JSU, EWU, and JMU obviously have that "good loss" thing going for them.

FargoBison
November 12th, 2016, 08:39 AM
I can't see a three loss UND team not getting in, considering right now Illinois State is looking like a real possibility at 6-5. The bubble this year is garbage.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2016, 08:42 AM
I can't see a three loss UND team not getting in, considering right now Illinois State is looking like a real possibility at 6-5. The bubble this year is garbage.
Yeah, UND is locked in regardless what happens today.

70MilesFromCanada
November 12th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Yeah, UND is locked in regardless what happens today.

That's my take. But I don't see UND getting a seed or home game unless someone above them (1-9) loses today or next week.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Do you think their defense is better than a NDSU or YSU defense? So far the only thing that's kept us under 24 points has been NDSU having to pull 3 stops inside the five and two TDs taken off the board by refs in the ISUr game. I'm not saying that we would be incapable of losing to UND, but they will need their offense to play well. I haven't seen anybody really shut down the SDSU offense, just contain it.

Good question. UND is ranked #26 in total defense and #20 in scoring defense. Are they as good as NDSU/YSU, probably not but they are a good defense.

SDSU has a tough rivalry game today then they go to CF and that game will be tough in CF. A loss and I bet the Jacks go to GF in the 1st round.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 08:54 AM
It's a bad loss IMHO. That and SDSU is in a real catch 22 for their last two games. Both teams are very capable of beating the Jacks and will likely be tough games, but if State beats both of them then they don't look like good wins either because they will have losing records.

USD dropped 44 on UND and it can be argued that USD is the second toughest team that UND played all year, SDSU wins out they should be seeded ahead of UND but who knows, I have a real issue with the BSC getting two seeds and the MVFC only getting one. Might be the homer in me but it is what it is

Serpentor
November 12th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Let's just hope UND losses by 4 touchdowns, and then we can have more angry workout threads.

How remarkably mean-spirited and petty of you.... you have Serpentor's full support! HAHAHAHAHA!

taper
November 12th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Good question. UND is ranked #26 in total defense and #20 in scoring defense. Are they as good as NDSU/YSU, probably not but they are a good defense.

SDSU has a tough rivalry game today then they go to CF and that game will be tough in CF. A loss and I bet the Jacks go to GF in the 1st round.

I gotta believe SDSU will put in a huge bid to guarantee a home game in their new stadium. UND can't match that without spending money they don't have.

PantherRob82
November 12th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Looks like UND was down with losing by 4 TDs.

70MilesFromCanada
November 12th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Looks like UND was down with losing by 4 TDs.
Sorry, but we came back and won.
Now do we get a seed?

centennial
November 12th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Sorry, but we came back and won.
Now do we get a seed?

Maybe a 8 seed. I would doubt it though.

Twentysix
November 12th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Chatty

FargoBison
November 12th, 2016, 04:44 PM
It's UND or SDSU right now.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Twentysix
November 12th, 2016, 04:45 PM
It's UND or SDSU right now.

Und wins out they will get a seed.

FargoBison
November 12th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Und wins out they will get a seed.
Well they've already won out...bye next week. I agree they'll likely be seeded.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Well they've already won out...bye next week. I agree they'll likely be seeded.

If they are seeded they are worst seed since this tournament started.

70MilesFromCanada
November 12th, 2016, 05:17 PM

Tournament doesn't start for 2 weeks. xnodx

Bison56
November 12th, 2016, 05:18 PM
May want to bring the same refs from today to the playoffs.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Tournament doesn't start for 2 weeks. xnodx

What. You guys out of cupcake games. Your only
decent win was Cal poly. Oh wait they lost to Weber. Never mind

UNDColorado
November 12th, 2016, 05:55 PM
What. You guys out of cupcake games. Your only
decent win was Cal poly. Oh wait they lost to Weber. Never mind

Vaunted Montana lost to Northern Colorado so what is your point? It is pretty clear you hate anything UND and your team won today so be happy and move on.

semobison
November 12th, 2016, 06:01 PM

Yup! If I was NAU I'd be pissed!

70MilesFromCanada
November 12th, 2016, 06:28 PM
So if UND gets a top 8 seed, do they have 3 weeks off?

F'N Hawks
November 12th, 2016, 06:31 PM

Thank you for your honesty.

- - - Updated - - -

UND won because of the refs.

F'N Hawks
November 12th, 2016, 06:32 PM
USD dropped 44 on UND and it can be argued that USD is the second toughest team that UND played all year, SDSU wins out they should be seeded ahead of UND but who knows, I have a real issue with the BSC getting two seeds and the MVFC only getting one. Might be the homer in me but it is what it is

You might be the biggest rube on this board. Zero intellect. Congrats.

70MilesFromCanada
November 12th, 2016, 06:38 PM

WOBW (Waste Of BandWidth)

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Vaunted Montana lost to Northern Colorado so what is your point? It is pretty clear you hate anything UND and your team won today so be happy and move on.

Two seeded teams out of the BSC is a joke, sorry, it just is.

OverratedGriz
November 12th, 2016, 07:07 PM
You don't know jack jack.

Bison56
November 12th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Another Novemberist makes an appearance.

OverratedGriz
November 12th, 2016, 07:09 PM
MVFC is amazingly overrated this year.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 07:11 PM
You might be the biggest rube on this board. Zero intellect. Congrats.

Was your issue with me thinking that SDSU should be rated ahead of UND if SDSU wins out, or the two seeds out of the BSC reference or the USD reference. Which specific item earned me the vaunted "biggest rube" award, the USD reference might have been a stretch but not the other two. Where is the BSC rated? I will wait for your answer.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't know jack jack.

Who are you talking to, do you know how to do a reply so it doesn't seem like you are talking to yourself?

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 07:13 PM
WOBW

Worst of Both Worlds?? Don't get it but us rubes don't do acronyms very well.

UNDColorado
November 12th, 2016, 07:17 PM

Only in the eyes of a pissed off Bison fan, sorry, it just is.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Only in the eyes of a pissed off Bison fan, sorry, it just is.

We will see.

Southern Bison
November 12th, 2016, 07:25 PM
I am the biggest rube on this board. Zero intellect.

FIFY

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Southern Bison
November 12th, 2016, 07:25 PM
MVFC is amazingly overrated this year.
You want to put money on that comment?

F'N Hawks
November 12th, 2016, 07:30 PM
FIFY

Yeeaaahhhh. Meh.

F'N Hawks
November 12th, 2016, 07:31 PM
There is some heavy duty MVFC curb stompin, butt hurt going on in this thread. Never seen a fan base so worked up about another team winning a game.

Southern Bison
November 12th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Yeeaaahhhh. Meh.
If y'all somehow end up going through Fargo, do you have the balls to pull the Nickel out of the Atheltic Dept employee's garage and play for it??

Or are you too much of a pussy?

nodak651
November 12th, 2016, 07:41 PM
If y'all somehow end up going through Fargo, do you have the balls to pull the Nickel out of the Atheltic Dept employee's garage and play for it??

Apparently there isn't a rivalry any more so why would we play for a rivalry trophy?

F'N Hawks
November 12th, 2016, 07:44 PM

Whoa!!! Tough guy alert. Tough guy alert. Curb stompin.

Southern Bison
November 12th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Whoa!!! Tough guy alert. Tough guy alert. Curb stompin.
Did I trigger y'all? Go ahead and riot in that ****hole called Grand Forks.

Apparently there isn't a rivalry any more so why would we play for a rivalry trophy?

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Personally, I'm glad UND came back and I hope they get seeded. I'd much rather see SDSU fed into a seeded UND than a seeded NDSU.

cidgrad89
November 12th, 2016, 08:01 PM
It wouldn't suprise me if Chatt loses this Sat and UCA next Sat. So yeah, UND has a lot to play for.

Told ya. Wofford is good.

BisonTru
November 12th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Personally, I'm glad UND came back and I hope they get seeded. I'd much rather see SDSU fed into a seeded UND than a seeded NDSU.

This ^^^

IMO, Richmond remains the last spot unless someone else loses next weekend. North Dakota, South Dakota St, Samford, and the loser of SHSU/UCA are the teams to be considered in that event.

All of this is assuming Chatty is now out of seed discussion. Again, JMFO.

Preferred Walk-On
November 12th, 2016, 08:31 PM

Fairly new to the forum, so please be gentle. ;) I actually don't agree with the above comment. I understand how strength of conference matters. However, what I am lacking is a definitive idea of why (and which) other conferences might be more deserving of multiple seeded teams.

Therefore, rather than say which conferences should not get two seeds, I would suggest that a discussion on which conferences deserve two, one, or no seeds might be more productive. Discuss.

BisonTru
November 12th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Fairly new to the forum, so please be gentle. ;) I actually don't agree with the above comment. I understand how strength of conference matters. However, what I am lacking is a definitive idea of why (and which) other conferences might be more deserving of multiple seeded teams.

Therefore, rather than say which conferences should not get two seeds, I would suggest that a discussion on which conferences deserve two, one, or no seeds might be more productive. Discuss.

Teams deserve or not deserve seeds. Conferences are just a group of teams and somewhat similar schedules, and don't deserve any number of seeds.

BTW, NDSU gets a Novemberist. Congrats us, glad to have ya. Rob please add this to the count.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Fairly new to the forum, so please be gentle. I actually don't agree with the above comment. I understand how strength of conference matters. However, what I am lacking is a definitive idea of why (and which) other conferences might be more deserving of multiple seeded teams.

Fair Question

CAA- JMU and Richmond
MVFC- NDSU and SDSU
SoCon_The Citadel
OVC - JSU
Southland - SHSU
BSC - EWU

Here are the eight seeds, no particular order.

UND is close

UNDColorado
November 12th, 2016, 08:45 PM
FIFY

Lakes Bison was able to procreate, i'll be damned!

70MilesFromCanada
November 12th, 2016, 08:49 PM
My original question starting this thread was whether UND had any chance of getting a home game if they were not seeded? (Many seemed to think Montana or SDSU would outbid them). And, if a home game was not possible, whether it mattered if they won today since 8-3 seemed good enough to get into the playoffs.

Now that they have won, would they be guaranteed a home game if they are a top 8 seed?

Preferred Walk-On
November 12th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Teams deserve or not deserve seeds. Conferences are just a group of teams and somewhat similar schedules, and don't deserve any number of seeds.

BTW, NDSU gets a Novemberist. Congrats us, glad to have ya. Rob please add this to the count.

Fair Question

CAA- JMU and Richmond
MVFC- NDSU and SDSU
SoCon_The Citadel
OVC - JSU
Southland - SHSU
BSC - EWU

Here are the eight seeds, no particular order.

UND is close

BisonTru: I agree completely, which is why I posted the thought. Also, glad to be aboard.

POD Knows: I am OK with the teams you listed (for now); however, that still does not address why the BSC does not deserve two seeds, whereas the CAA does. I think this is a bit tenuous at best, and I see no reason why there could not be two BSC teams when the dust settles. Agree to disagree, respectfully, of course.

Preferred Walk-On
November 12th, 2016, 08:52 PM
My original question starting this thread was whether UND had any chance of getting a home game if they were not seeded? And,if not, whether it mattered if they won today since 8-3 seemed good enough to get into the playoffs.

Now that they have won, would they be guaranteed a home game if they are a top 8 seed?

If they are top 8, yes. Seeded teams play home games (unless playing a team with a higher seed).

Southern Bison
November 12th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Lakes Bison was able to procreate, i'll be damned!
Dream on...I make LakesBison look like a Hillary supporter.

70MilesFromCanada
November 12th, 2016, 08:55 PM
If they are top 8, yes. Seeded teams play home games (unless playing a team with a higher seed).

So a top 8 seed for UND means 3 weeks rest, a home game and not playing right after Thanksgiving.

geaux_sioux
November 12th, 2016, 08:56 PM

It's never been on the line for a playoff game pussy. Shoulda won in 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew9V0kvETsw

Preferred Walk-On
November 12th, 2016, 08:57 PM
So a top 8 seed for UND means 3 weeks rest, a home game and not playing right after Thanksgiving.

Yes, but not sure if three weeks off is good or bad for UND.

70MilesFromCanada
November 12th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Yes, but not sure if three weeks off is good or bad for UND.
QB has been hurting. Not sure 3 weeks helps but maybe?

PantherRob82
November 12th, 2016, 09:00 PM

Nope. Post was too reasonable. Overruled.

F'N Hawks
November 12th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Has anyone thought of telling Ursus to shut down registration on Oct 31st? Kind of a Halloween funsy deadline.

geaux_sioux
November 12th, 2016, 09:11 PM
QB has been hurting. Not sure 3 weeks helps but maybe?
3 weeks off would be great for our guys to heal up. There's always a chance of that screwing up the momentum I guess and gaining a little bit of rust. Either way, our guys need this week off bad, our team is falling apart.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2016, 09:29 PM
BisonTru: I agree completely, which is why I posted the thought. Also, glad to be aboard.

POD Knows: I am OK with the teams you listed (for now); however, that still does not address why the BSC does not deserve two seeds, whereas the CAA does. I think this is a bit tenuous at best, and I see no reason why there could not be two BSC teams when the dust settles. Agree to disagree, respectfully, of course.

It does make a difference how strong the conference is, you could very well have two BSC teams with seeds, my assumption is based on the teams winning out. If all of the teams I listed win out, I don't think UND gets a seed. If the conference strength doesn't matter then they should give a seed to somebody that is undefeated in the NEC, PL or the PFL. I believe that the BSC is the 4th ranked conference in the FCS but I haven't checked this and could be wrong. If SDSU gets beat by UNI then I think UND gets a seed,

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2016, 09:34 PM
It does make a difference how strong the conference is, you could very well have two BSC teams with seeds, my assumption is based on the teams winning out. If all of the teams I listed win out, I don't think UND gets a seed. If the conference strength doesn't matter then they should give a seed to somebody that is undefeated in the NEC, PL or the PFL. I believe that the BSC is the 4th ranked conference in the FCS but I haven't checked this and could be wrong. If SDSU gets beat by UNI then I think UND gets a seed,

I think this will happen.

Preferred Walk-On
November 12th, 2016, 09:37 PM

I can get on board with that. Unfortunately for SDSU, I just am not so sure they will get a seed, even though I think they should (assuming they beat UNI). Either way, if SDSU plays to their potential in the playoffs, they will be a very tough out.

Bisonator
November 12th, 2016, 09:43 PM
UND will be seeded. 9-2 team from the BSC. BSC co-champs. Won 9 straight. They are a lock. The extra off season weight lifting paid off!xbowx

Thumper 76
November 12th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Has anyone thought of telling Ursus to shut down registration on Oct 31st? Kind of a Halloween funsy deadline.

I don't tell ursus **** xlolx

Haven't had a thought for a long time too though......

BisonFan02
November 12th, 2016, 09:57 PM
UND will be seeded. 9-2 team from the BSC. BSC co-champs. Won 9 straight. They are a lock. The extra off season weight lifting paid off!xbowx

#bookit

BisonTru
November 12th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Nope. Post was too reasonable. Overruled.

Damnit. I hate dictatorships. BTW, SB meet me down on the poli board.

PantherRob82
November 12th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Damnit. I hate dictatorships. BTW, SB meet me down on the poli board.

I don't make the rules....actually I do. Novemberist is equal parts sign up date and obnoxiousness.

OverratedGriz
November 13th, 2016, 01:54 AM
UND leads the nation in interceptions.
UND leads the nation in the best conference in FCS.
UND leads the nation in longest FCS winning streak.

Schism55
November 13th, 2016, 03:08 AM
LOL. Thanks I needed a good laugh

Twentysix
November 13th, 2016, 03:32 AM
If the season ended today I'd give UND the 6 seed. Will the committee though. Who knows.

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2016, 05:53 AM
If the season ended today I'd give UND the 6 seed. Will the committee though. Who knows.

No.

Unless UND gets healed up in next two weeks they are going to struggle vs a good defense. Maybe the 8 seed, at best.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 13th, 2016, 06:07 AM
No.

Unless UND gets healed up in next two weeks they are going to struggle vs a good defense. Maybe the 8 seed, at best.

They might be higher than a #8 depending on next week.

Preferred Walk-On
November 13th, 2016, 06:22 AM

"Now don't be sad. 'Cause two out of three ain't bad." - Meatloaf

Twentysix
November 13th, 2016, 06:28 AM
No.

Their resume is what decides their seed, not whether they will play well vs a good defense; and going undefeated in an FCS power conference will count for more than you think. UND will get the 6 7 or 8 seed imo.

NDSU EWU JMU CIT JSU will take the top 5 seeds imo. SHSU or UCA (winner next week is seeded, loser isn't) maybe could take the 5 seed. In that instance I'd drop JSU or CIT out of the top 5, but I don't think the committee will do that. SDSU and UND are the other two seeds imo, and I think they will seed UND above SDSU.

UNDColorado
November 13th, 2016, 07:51 AM

Come on now, that isn't accurate. If you said "one" of the best conferences I could let is slide.

Lehigh'98
November 13th, 2016, 08:10 AM
"Now don't be sad. 'Cause two out of three ain't bad." - Meatloaf

Actually, maybe not. They are only tied with longest fcs win streak I believe. Lehigh is at 9 as well

RabidRabbit
November 13th, 2016, 08:31 AM
I concur that SHSU/UCA winner gets a seed. Likewise, NDSU, EWU, Cit, JSU, JMU get seeds as either co-champs or outright champs. NDSU, EWU should be 1/2 with their quality p-5 FBS wins. Which appears to leave 3 teams, UND, SDSU, Richmond, battling for two seeds (this assumes SDSU beats UNI, not a given).

UND, undefeated co-champ in Big Sky. Loss to Kent St (because went for win, and didn't make two pt PAT), then Stony Brook loss.
SDSU, co-champ MVFC, auto-bid winner (because beat NDSU). Losses to TCU (tied for 3rd B12), Cal Poly and IL St)
Richmond - P5 winner over Virginia (worst record in ACC), not a co-champ in CAA, losses to JMU & Stony Brook

To me, reward the co-champs with seeds, especially for top 4 conferences, based on SOS.

It will be interesting to see what committee does next Sun. Jacks only prayer of a seed is to win out tho.

RabidRabbit
November 13th, 2016, 08:57 AM
If by luck, USD stuns NDSU for a 2nd year in a row, and SDSU wins at UNI, then a sole MVFC champ gets a seed.

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I concur that SHSU/UCA winner gets a seed. Likewise, NDSU, EWU, Cit, JSU, JMU get seeds as either co-champs or outright champs. NDSU, EWU should be 1/2 with their quality p-5 FBS wins. Which appears to leave 3 teams, UND, SDSU, Richmond, battling for two seeds (this assumes SDSU beats UNI, not a given).

UND, undefeated co-champ in Big Sky. Loss to Kent St (because went for win, and didn't make two pt PAT), then Stony Brook loss.
SDSU, co-champ MVFC, auto-bid winner (because beat NDSU). Losses to TCU (tied for 3rd B12), Cal Poly and IL St)
Richmond - P5 winner over Virginia (worst record in ACC), not a co-champ in CAA, losses to JMU & Stony Brook

To me, reward the co-champs with seeds, especially for top 4 conferences, based on SOS.

It will be interesting to see what committee does next Sun. Jacks only prayer of a seed is to win out tho.

UND lost to Bowling Green. :p

mango433
November 13th, 2016, 09:12 AM

If SDSU wins next week, no mat what NDSU does, the Jacks are champions as they own the tiebreaker over NDSU

1. In there is a two-team tie following the round-robin results and the two tied teams played each other, the winner of the game will be declared champion.

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2016, 09:17 AM
If SDSU wins next week, no mat what NDSU does, the Jacks are champions as they own the tiebreaker over NDSU

They'd be co-champs but SDSU would get the autobid. Same thing happened in 2011 when NDSU and UNI were co-champs at 7-1 even though NDSU beat UNI head-to-head.

MacThor
November 13th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Hampton was a 2 seed.

mango433
November 13th, 2016, 09:18 AM
They'd be co-champs but SDSU would get the autobid. Same thing happened in 2011 when NDSU and UNI were co-champs at 7-1 even though NDSU beat UNI head-to-head.

Yep, you're right. Read it wrong.

kalm
November 13th, 2016, 09:25 AM

Teams are seeded based on their resume. Coming from a good conference helps that resume by extension but is not one of the metrics used. An undefeated NEC, PL, or PFL, would not get a seed because of their resume.

kalm
November 13th, 2016, 09:26 AM

So limit your membership and growth because some feelings might get hurt?

verk62
November 13th, 2016, 09:34 AM

That sucks for me because I have had an account for a while but use it so rarely I forgot the password, thus I created a new account. Not that I have a lot to say other than this board is mostly full of MVFC homers.

POD Knows
November 13th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Hampton was a 2 seed.

Yep, I was talking out my ass, which happens once in a while. Hampton, really, I didn't know that.

MacThor
November 13th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Right - and the committee has traditionally seeded based on quantity of losses, not quality of losses if you are from a power conference. This year, if current top 10 teams take care of business next week (a big "if") then the committee is going to have plenty of 2-or-fewer loss teams to choose from for seeds, including UND. This hurts SDSU.

They didn't have 8 2-or-fewer loss teams (from top conferences) last year, and that's the reason why a 3-loss Richmond got a seed.

Bison56
November 13th, 2016, 09:39 AM

LoL, you serious?

POD Knows
November 13th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Teams are seeded based on their resume. Coming from a good conference helps that resume by extension but is not one of the metrics used. An undefeated NEC, PL, or PFL, would not get a seed because of their resume.

Conference strength is what determines your resume , but is it used as a seeding tool, probably not but that wasn't my point, if your conference is down and your conference record is good, your resume may not be that good, which is pretty much what you said. Isn't the BSC rating down this year, which would diminish a BSC team's resume, particularly a team that hasn't played the top team in the conference and that can be said for EWU as well, although I think EWU is a far better football team and has had a LOT tougher SOS than UND. I just think with the various rankings and SOS that UND deserves a seed, provided every key team wins out, but that could be said for several teams that might get seeds.

verk62
November 13th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Conference strength is what determines your resume , but is it used as a seeding tool, probably not but that wasn't my point, if your conference is down and your conference record is good, your resume may not be that good, which is pretty much what you said. Isn't the BSC rating down this year, which would diminish a BSC team's resume, particularly a team that hasn't played the top team in the conference and that can be said for EWU as well, although I think EWU is a far better football team and has had a LOT tougher SOS than UND. I just think with the various rankings and SOS that UND deserves a seed, provided every key team wins out, but that could be said for several teams that might get seeds.

How exactly is the Big Sky down this year?

taper
November 13th, 2016, 10:49 AM

Well, UND won the conference. :)

Kidding aside, Sagarin has UND at 21 in FCS. Solidly in the playoffs, but they truly have an incredibly weak schedule. Good chance only 2 teams they beat will have a winning D1 record, and if Poly makes it 3 losses in a row next week they might not have even played a single playoff team.

POD Knows
November 13th, 2016, 10:53 AM

The last time I saw the FCS conference rankings, they were 3rd or 4th behind the MVFC, CAA, SoCon (I think) and then the BSC. The fact that UND is undefeated in the conference is enough proof for me. :D

verk62
November 13th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Well, UND won the conference. :)

Kidding aside, Sagarin has UND at 21 in FCS. Solidly in the playoffs, but they truly have an incredibly weak schedule. Good chance only 2 teams they beat will have a winning D1 record, and if Poly makes it 3 losses in a row next week they might not have even played a single playoff team.

I see the point but Montana has been slapped around in the Big Sky a little bit this year and they did beat UNI who people are talking about getting into the playoff with only 6 wins. It would be interesting to see how UND would be ranked if they didn't drop the 2 point conversion to beat a pretty bad Bowling Green team and a didn't get a punt blocked against Stoney Brook. The two losses to start the year were cases of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. That being said, since that time UND did pull a couple games out that could just has easily have been a loss.

kalm
November 13th, 2016, 12:21 PM
The last time I saw the FCS conference rankings, they were 3rd or 4th behind the MVFC, CAA, SoCon (I think) and then the BSC. The fact that UND is undefeated in the conference is enough proof for me. :D

The BSC is currently third and within a point of the SoCon. It's the MVFC and then pretty much a push between the CAA, SoCon, and CAA. IOW's the Big Sky isn't down. It's typically in the 2-4 range.

El Cid and I discussed the high ranking of the SoCon in another thread and think the gist of it was benefiting from the FBS games they played because they don't have very many quality FCS wins OOC.

I also think anytime the Griz aren't in the top 2, the conference takes a perceptual hit. Right now it has two top 10's and then a bunch of ?'s with teams capable of beating the SDSU's and UNI's of the world but who also beat each other up.

dudeitsaid
November 13th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Congrats to UND to even have this kind of discussion taking place. You're come-back win against a surging NAU team was impressive. I wish I could've watched the end of the game, and seen the pick 6. Way to find a way to win!

LeeshaJo
November 14th, 2016, 01:38 AM
I want SDSU, NDSU, and UND to be seeded. Why? I want to see wtf the committee would do for opponents. And, would be pretty cool to have three seeds from the Dakotas. First reason is why it won't happen btw.

UNDColorado
November 14th, 2016, 08:37 AM
It would be fun to see this scenario play out.

F'N Hawks
November 14th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Congrats to UND to even have this kind of discussion taking place. You're come-back win against a surging NAU team was impressive. I wish I could've watched the end of the game, and seen the pick 6. Way to find a way to win!

Thanks. NAU is a good football team right now. Their defense was much better up front than I thought they would be. Kemp gets rid of the ball any time pressure is coming, which is good sometimes, bad others. But they never give up sacks.

UND needs weeks off to heal up. This whole 11 straight weeks of games is B.S. Our AD needs to get this figured out.

MacThor
November 14th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I want SDSU, NDSU, and UND to be seeded. Why? I want to see wtf the committee would do for opponents. And, would be pretty cool to have three seeds from the Dakotas. First reason is why it won't happen btw.

It won't happen because there will be too many other teams deserving seeds.
Two of them getting seeds still gives the committee headaches - which is just fine for those of us who can't stand regionalization.

Twentysix
November 14th, 2016, 11:46 AM
It won't happen because there will be too many other teams deserving seeds.

We shall see.

The champions of the BSC and MVFC are very deserving of seeds.

Lehigh'98
November 14th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Going to come down to SDSU's game against UNI. If they win, you can't deny them a seed being co-champs of MVFC. Lose, ND gets it.

ND and Richmond are very close in terms of who should get the final seed.

MacThor
November 14th, 2016, 12:58 PM
We shall see.

The champions of the BSC and MVFC are very deserving of seeds.

The BSC champion did not receive a seed last year. 2nd place Portland State did. Better overall record.
The committee took the same tack in 2014. All of the two-loss-or-fewer power conference teams got seeds, and then Chattanooga got the 8 seed as the "top" 3-loss team.
In 2013, all of the seeds had 2 or fewer losses, even though other teams may have had better "resumes."

I'm not arguing the merits of it; I'm just stating the facts of the very human committee's historical track record. Just as it did in BCS rankings, quantity of losses carries quite a bit of weight.
They will seed all the power 2-loss-or-fewer teams first; then a 3-loss team.
SDSU will need a few things to break their way to get a seed. The committee is telling you this by not having them in their top 10.

Twentysix
November 14th, 2016, 01:01 PM
SDSU holds a road win over the possibly #1 seed in the tournament though. That isn't insignificant.

also the regionalization bitching came from NDSU and resulted in a rulebook amendment. There may be further placation by seeding all three and thus only regionalizing 2.

If only 2 are seeded, all three will likely be stuck together.

I get that you don't like it because it probably means Richmond isn't seeded.

MacThor
November 14th, 2016, 01:34 PM
SDSU holds a road win over the possibly #1 seed in the tournament though. That isn't insignificant.

also the regionalization bitching came from NDSU and resulted in a rulebook amendment. There may be further placation by seeding all three and thus only regionalizing 2.

If only 2 are seeded, all three will likely be stuck together.

I get that you don't like it because it probably means Richmond isn't seeded.

You can't stick 2 seeds together in one pod - I guess they can regionalize them in 1 quarter, but that's still speculating on who will advance.

SDSU may well be one of the top 8 teams in the country. It has nothing to do with what I like. I'm simply observing what the committee has consistently done. ​Every. Single. Year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2016, 08:31 PM
I still think NDSU and UND will be matched up in the quarterfinal round....if both teams make it there.

#1 - #8
or
#2 - #7

NDSU
EWU
JMU
JSU
SHSU
The Citadel
UND

SDSU will have to jump Richmond and Central Arkansas to get a seed. Might do it but don't know.

PantherRob82
November 14th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Do you guys think NDSU, SDSU, UND and UNI could all get a seed?

FargoBison
November 14th, 2016, 08:38 PM
SDSU has some issues, committee won't like their two FCS losses. Who you lose to seems to consume the committee, to the point where it is more important than who you beat.

70MilesFromCanada
November 14th, 2016, 08:40 PM

I'm going with the 100's of others who said UNI has no shot!
Of course, there are 100's of others who are just as delusional. xbawlingx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2016, 08:49 PM

I don't think UNI will but they are in the playoffs if they win IMO.

I think UNI is going to beat SDSU. Who would go where? They wouldn't match up Valley teams in the 1st round. Would UNI and Ill State play because they didn't play in the regular season? Pretty interesting stuff!!

Twentysix
November 16th, 2016, 01:13 AM
You can't stick 2 seeds together in one pod - I guess they can regionalize them in 1 quarter, but that's still speculating on who will advance.

SDSU may well be one of the top 8 teams in the country. It has nothing to do with what I like. I'm simply observing what the committee has consistently done. ​Every. Single. Year.

They can and really easily will put the unseeded team SDSU/UND vs #1 NDSU or #8 SDSU/UND.

The dakota schools will have eliminated each other by the final buzzer of the quarters and the playoffs get two bus trips out of it. $$$$$

BisonTru
November 16th, 2016, 09:02 PM

........yes xsalutex

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2016, 09:06 PM
........yes xsalutex

If UNI had only lost to NDSU and SDSU I could easily see all 4 seeded. That would have made for an interesting bracket.

Winterborn
November 17th, 2016, 07:32 AM
If UNI had only lost to NDSU and SDSU I could easily see all 4 seeded. That would have made for an interesting bracket.

And the way the committee thinks, we would of all wound up on the same side. Hypothetically speaking, if they did seed all 4, they should place one team in each bracket and then see what happens. :D

WeAreThePride
November 17th, 2016, 01:03 PM

Yes. If UNI wins by 87 points and puts up 700 yards of offense. Also, every other team in the top 16 would have to lose by 45.

Bison56
November 17th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Yes. If UNI wins by 87 points and puts up 700 yards of offense. Also, every other team in the top 16 would have to lose by 45.

What if they only win by 86?

F'N Hawks
November 17th, 2016, 02:30 PM

Then, they are at the mercy of the committee.

Mayville Bison
November 17th, 2016, 02:38 PM

Should've spent more time in the weight room then

F'N Hawks
November 17th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Should've spent more time in the weight room then

Quite obvious who did and who didn't, aye?

Thumper 76
November 17th, 2016, 02:47 PM

xlolx

BisonFan02
November 17th, 2016, 05:37 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-46854-karate-kid-no-mercy-gif-gfycat-Oog2.gif

WeAreThePride
November 17th, 2016, 05:47 PM

Then they will not even make the playoffs.