PDA

View Full Version : Campbell U. Announcement

Model Citizen
November 10th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Stay tuned for probable exit from the Pioneer. Details Monday...

http://gocamels.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/20161110qkof0m

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Hmmm...headed to the Big South?

Model Citizen
November 10th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Yes, of course.

TheKingpin28
November 10th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Stay tuned for probable exit from the Pioneer. Details Monday...

http://gocamels.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/20161110qkof0m

They creating a web app?

dudeitsaid
November 10th, 2016, 10:40 PM
They creating a web app?

Their moving up to the NFL.

CappinHard
November 10th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Are they still going to be making soup? I'm a big fan of their classics... Tomato, chicken noodle, the good stuff.

Laker
November 10th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Are they still going to be making soup? I'm a big fan of their classics... Tomato, chicken noodle, the good stuff.

Bean and bacon rules. Tomato bisque too.

CappinHard
November 10th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Bean and bacon rules. Tomato bisque too.

I forgot to mention vegetable beef. I could eat that stuff without even warming it up.

TheKingpin28
November 10th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Their moving up to the NFL.

Man, I had my money on SHSU and that Air-Raid offense. I mean they pretty much already won the NC.

Model Citizen
November 10th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Campbell president actually promised this over a year ago, but did not specify the date of the move. So we'll get the complete answer next week.

Just as important for the PFL is who is not making a big football announcement.

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Scholarship Fightin' Camels on the gridiron? It's a can't miss!

Schism55
November 10th, 2016, 11:17 PM
LOL gun to my head I couldn't swear whether or not this is an actual real college :D

Go...gate
November 11th, 2016, 12:05 AM

Cream of Mushroom...

bonarae
November 11th, 2016, 01:28 AM
Kidding aside, could they become a Presbyterian or a Lamar in the making? xconfusedx xeyebrowx

walliver
November 11th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Maybe they should change the name of the football conference to the Big Evangelical Football League. Kennesaw State would be the token heathens.:D

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Are they announcing that if they wanted to move to scholarship that they could join the Big South? xlolx

Daytripper
November 11th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Man, I had my money on SHSU and that Air-Raid offense. I mean they pretty much already won the NC.

We are waiting for an invite to the AFC west. You know, for the strength of schedule.

SU DOG
November 11th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Campbell will NOT be a joke. Look at the recent additions to their athletic facilities(especially the football stadium), their attendance numbers in football, and who their Athletic Director is. Bob Roller was a dynamo at Samford before family issues forced him to get nearer to home. Campbell, with scholarships, will quickly be a force to contend with in the Big South. This is a move that just makes sense. I bet that the conference is elated to add another team for football, especially since Campbell is already in with everything else, and is in the geographical footprint. If that is the announcement(duh) CONGRATS Campbell.

ASU33
November 11th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Congrats Campbell!xbowx

PurpleStreamers
November 11th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Campbell will NOT be a joke. Look at the recent additions to their athletic facilities(especially the football stadium), their attendance numbers in football, and who their Athletic Director is. Bob Roller was a dynamo at Samford before family issues forced him to get nearer to home. Campbell, with scholarships, will quickly be a force to contend with in the Big South. This is a move that just makes sense. I bet that the conference is elated to add another team for football, especially since Campbell is already in with everything else, and is in the geographical footprint. If that is the announcement(duh) CONGRATS Campbell.

Completely agree. Buies Creek has rapidly gone from backwater to Raleigh suburb and Campbell will continue riding that wave. Also good news for schools like Elon/WCU/JMU/WM to have another solid OOC opponent locally in an area they all recruit heavily.

CappinHard
November 11th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Cream of Mushroom...

Err mah gerrd. Talk soupy to me.

NDB
November 11th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Does this open up a spot for NDSU? Have to think they'd be interested given that strength of schedule doesn't count for JACK SH#T.

Laker
November 11th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Campbell is joining the Big 12. At least that is the story today. By Monday, the Big 12 will have changed their mind- again.

TheKingpin28
November 11th, 2016, 01:54 PM
We are waiting for an invite to the AFC west. You know, for the strength of schedule.

I was going to say AFC South. Switch Indy to the AFC North (where they belong) and drop Cleveland to something else.

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Alabison moving along to the Big 12 and the Rhinestone Cowboy moves into the MVFC...Yes

hebmskebm
November 11th, 2016, 02:21 PM
This local sports anchor seemingly confirms it:

https://twitter.com/jgravleyWRAL/status/797135334375096320

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2016, 02:42 PM
This local sports anchor seemingly confirms it:

https://twitter.com/jgravleyWRAL/status/797135334375096320

Another school missing out on the Patriot League... xlolx

Sandlapper Spike
November 11th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I wonder if Campbell will also be adding a couple more women's teams to "balance" out the scholarships (Title IX considerations).

melloware13
November 11th, 2016, 03:11 PM
When will they start Big South play? I imagine that if they have one scholarship they're out of the PFL, but if they ramp up to full scholarship it'll take a few years to be on par with the Big South.

van
November 11th, 2016, 03:56 PM
they should catch Presby and Monmouth pretty quick

kdinva
November 11th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I wonder if Campbell will also be adding a couple more women's teams to "balance" out the scholarships (Title IX considerations).

...or expand their stadium? Site says it seats 5,000.........looks like about 6,000, IMO.

http://gocamels.com/facilities/Barker-LaneStadiumPhotos/index#PhotoSwipe1478903095427

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Better to be full than large.

kdinva
November 11th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Better to be full than large.

agree....but if demand dictates it......they'll be hosting, every other season, Liberty, Chuck South......instead of Valpo, Stetson, et al...

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2016, 04:55 PM
agree....but if demand dictates it......they'll be hosting, every other season, Liberty, Chuck South......instead of Valpo, Stetson, et al...

Do either of those teams travel well?

BucBisonAtLarge
November 11th, 2016, 04:56 PM
There are a few measures for Title IX. Participation opportunities (varsity sport slots) must resemble the school's gender composition. They already have football, so they should not have to add women's teams. They should have them in place. The existing teams they will now get to distribute scholarships equal to the ones being added for men. Bucknell's women's programs have really benefitted from the scholarships added to offset the football scholarships.

kdinva
November 11th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Do either of those teams travel well?

Liberty will/should....under 4 hours drive, as is Chuck South.

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Liberty will/should....under 4 hours drive, as is Chuck South.

Illinois State and Western Illinois are both under 4 hours from UNI and bring hardly anyone. NDSU is like 7 hours and brings thousands.

I get Liberty, but does Chuck South even draw at home?

ElCid
November 11th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Illinois State and Western Illinois are both under 4 hours from UNI and bring hardly anyone. NDSU is like 7 hours and brings thousands.

It is strange how certain teams travel well. The best travel fans in the SOCON use to be App St. Ga So never traveled very well to Charleston, which was surprising. Now, I am not sure who is best but I bet it is The Citadel, especially this year. Never seen a big number of Samford fans in Charleston which is understandable. Not many Wofford or WCU or Mercer fans though. VMI was ok, but that might be due to the military folks stationed near by. Furman is ok. UTC was ok. But when I went to WCU this year, there were huge numbers of Bulldog fan up in Cullowhee. Lots went to the Wofford and N Greenville games as well, but they are both fairly close by.

Maybe we need a traveling fans thread. With NDSU's success, it is pretty easy to see why they travel well.

walliver
November 11th, 2016, 10:09 PM
It is strange how certain teams travel well. The best travel fans in the SOCON use to be App St. Ga So never traveled very well to Charleston, which was surprising. ...

Interestingly, Georgia Southern always travelled much better to Sparkle City than App State, even though Appy is much closer. Possibly this was due to many GSU fans living in the Atlanta area. Furman used to travel well, back when they had a decent team, but crowds have been down lately. Other than the Citadel, few SoCon teams travel well, and I don't know how well the Citadel travels outside of South Carolina.

My guess is that Campbell's stadium will be more than adequate. It's already larger than CSU's.

Go...gate
November 11th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Congratulations to Campbell and the Big South!

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2016, 10:36 PM

Hell, we can barely get "thousands" to show up for a home game. I swear that 3/4 of the students don't even know we have a football team.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Great for the Big South. Also, impacts on the PFL are limited, who go from an unwieldy 11 team conference to a 10 team one.

There's your Missouri Valley impact - more OOC opportunities from Butler and Valpo to help strength of schedule! xlolx

The other interesting aspect is whether 1-2 more PFL teams (Jacksonville? Stetson?) take this same path to the Big South, while the PFL could add some more non-scholarship teams (Detroit? Florida-Gulf Coast?) to replace them. It seems like a good relationship for now.

Redbird007
November 12th, 2016, 03:25 AM

Willingness to go somewhere also depends on where one is coming from. Put UNI 4 hours south of ISU / WIU and both teams would travel much better to Uni. At least that is my poor ass excuse and I am sticking with it.

dgtw
November 12th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Are they going to add scholarships or just announcing they have a new app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model Citizen
November 12th, 2016, 12:20 PM
The other interesting aspect is whether 1-2 more PFL teams (Jacksonville? Stetson?) take this same path to the Big South, while the PFL could add some more non-scholarship teams (Detroit? Florida-Gulf Coast?) to replace them. It seems like a good relationship for now.

Seems like all those possibilities have been considered and rejected at this point.

Morehead State may be the next to leave the PFL, although their athletic director is quite fond of his low football budget.

dgtw
November 12th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Seems like all those possibilities have been considered and rejected at this point.

Morehead State may be the next to leave the PFL, although their athletic director is quite fond of his low football budget.

Do you have some insight about Morehead or just speculating? That would give the OVC ten teams.

Model Citizen
November 12th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Speculation. The AD admitted on a radio show that they have been discussing a return to the OVC. But they have made no decision to act at this point.

Model Citizen
November 13th, 2016, 01:44 PM
(response to a question that was deleted)

I would ask whether the Patriot has any interest in Marist. Never seen any indication of that.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2016, 03:43 PM
There's no growth curve in the Pioneer. If you're a school with a football conference, you want to play there. If it's not a football conference, there's less incentive to add a program into a league with such disparately aligned schools (San Diego, Stetson, Marist).

The southern flank of the Pioneer will continue to erode, and the NEC may eventually be the home for Marist that the PL is not. At that point, the Pioneer is back to a 6-7 team setup.

Bucs2016
November 13th, 2016, 03:44 PM

Well said. Some FCS fans make the mistake of underestimating these newer programs in the South. The South is absolutely bursting with D1 football talent in the high schools. These newer programs can get really good really quick.

Campbell would be a good addition to Big South football. And that conference is doing WELL. Look no further than how the last few years it has been beating up on the mighty SoCon with surprising regularity.

Sandlapper Spike
November 13th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Well said. Some FCS fans make the mistake of underestimating these newer programs in the South. The South is absolutely bursting with D1 football talent in the high schools. These newer programs can get really good really quick.

Campbell would be a good addition to Big South football. And that conference is doing WELL. Look no further than how the last few years it has been beating up on the mighty SoCon with surprising regularity.

1-4 this season against the SoCon.

CID1990
November 13th, 2016, 03:50 PM

LAWL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aceinthehole
November 13th, 2016, 04:30 PM

I would ask whether the Patriot has any interest in Marist. Never seen any indication of that.

Not sure why my post was deleted, but I was posing the question if Marist was considering adding scholarships and seek membership in the NEC or PL

MontanaVandal
November 13th, 2016, 05:41 PM
For all we know the Sun Belt gave them an invite because the SBC cant get its **** together.

Campbell is joining the Big 12. At least that is the story today. By Monday, the Big 12 will have changed their mind- again.

Model Citizen
November 13th, 2016, 06:51 PM
There's no growth curve in the Pioneer. If you're a school with a football conference, you want to play there. ]

And eventually, Morehead will leave. The other schools are fine in the PFL, because they don't want to offer scholarships. No other conference options for them.

BisoNick
November 13th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Congrats Campbell!xbowx

Campbell's (chicken noodle) Possibilities!

Bucs2016
November 13th, 2016, 10:15 PM

"Last few years"....

Go...gate
November 13th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Not sure why my post was deleted, but I was posing the question if Marist was considering adding scholarships and seek membership in the NEC or PL

I didn't see your earlier post, but I certainly believe it would warrant serious consideration by the PL.

Bogus Megapardus and I have often suggested Marist as an additional all-sports member, They would be a much better fit than Loyola.

Go...gate
November 13th, 2016, 10:19 PM

I believe the PL should have some interest in Marist, especially if they were to consider some form of equivalencies or scholarships.

Bluefish845
November 14th, 2016, 06:21 AM
Marist to the PL in 2020, already in the works.

Model Citizen
November 14th, 2016, 08:40 AM

Where R U hearing this?

CSUBucsFan
November 14th, 2016, 09:20 AM

Citadel passed on playing Charleston Southern this year and next year.

Sandlapper Spike
November 14th, 2016, 10:45 AM
No, Charleston Southern passed on playing The Citadel this year and next year, but agreed to play again in 2018.

CSU18
November 14th, 2016, 10:48 AM
No, Charleston Southern passed on playing The Citadel this year and next year, but agreed to play again in 2018.

False statement - CSU wanted a home/home. Citadel refused.

Sandlapper Spike
November 14th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Not false in the least. Charleston Southern could have played, but passed because it was still angling for a home and home it was never going to get. Then someone in its department of athletics came to his senses.

citdog
November 14th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Citadel passed on playing Charleston Southern this year and next year.

false. Just not playing in that dump you call a football stadium. Should be called "AL PARISH FIELD"

CID1990
November 14th, 2016, 11:28 AM
False statement - CSU wanted a home/home. Citadel refused.

CSU said it was home/home or they weren't playing. The Citadel didn't refuse anything. We simply said we weren't playing in Ladson where less than 3000 people can actually see the game without bringing a cherry picker.

You can deny that all you want, but notice that suddenly we are playing in 2018 and beyond - in JHS. If the school somehow didn't want to play CSU, then we wouldn't play CSU.

You guys really need to quit drinking your own kool aid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FlamingHot
November 14th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Campbell is joining the Big South starting in 2018.

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Just confirmed at the press conference: 63 scholarships and the Big South in 2018.

Laker
November 14th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Campbell is joining the Big South starting in 2018.

http://www.campbell.edu/news/item/fighting-camels-football-to-join-big-south-in-2018

Twentysix
November 14th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Cool, good for the big south. They need a few more teams imo.

Go...gate
November 14th, 2016, 01:40 PM

Have not heard this anywhere. Last time Marist was in the discussion, they advised that they were not interested.

Bluefish845
November 14th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Where R U hearing this?

a friend heard it from someone in athletic dept. I trust the friend.

Libertine
November 14th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Just confirmed at the press conference: 63 scholarships and the Big South in 2018.

http://www.campbell.edu/news/item/fighting-camels-football-to-join-big-south-in-2018

The Fighting Camels will also move toward the full NCAA Football Championship Subdivision scholarship allotment (63) after a decade in the non-athletic scholarship PFL.

I think "toward" is the operative word here. CU had been trying to do the "leadership scholarship" model that San Diego and Jacksonville used so successfully but never managed more than a handful of those by which I mean less than ten. There's also the fact that, by NCAA rule (Bylaw 15.5.6), an FCS program can't add more than 30 "counters" (ie., scholarship players) in a given year.

My point is that CU won't be at 63 scholarships in 2018 and the soonest they could get to the full 63 would be 2020. It's too bad that they don't do winter intensives because they might have gotten a few guys in under the wire for 2016-2017 and maybe had the full 63 in 2019. I suppose they still could get some scholarship transfers at the mid-year.

While they are playing a Pioneer schedule next year, I would assume that they will be doing so with at least some scholarship players and, therefore, would be ineligible for the PFL title.

dbackjon
November 15th, 2016, 12:14 PM
I think "toward" is the operative word here. CU had been trying to do the "leadership scholarship" model that San Diego and Jacksonville used so successfully but never managed more than a handful of those by which I mean less than ten. There's also the fact that, by NCAA rule (Bylaw 15.5.6), an FCS program can't add more than 30 "counters" (ie., scholarship players) in a given year.

My point is that CU won't be at 63 scholarships in 2018 and the soonest they could get to the full 63 would be 2020. It's too bad that they don't do winter intensives because they might have gotten a few guys in under the wire for 2016-2017 and maybe had the full 63 in 2019. I suppose they still could get some scholarship transfers at the mid-year.

While they are playing a Pioneer schedule next year, I would assume that they will be doing so with at least some scholarship players and, therefore, would be ineligible for the PFL title.

Or they could offer schollies to a bunch of freshman and then redshirt them next year.

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2016, 12:41 PM
The PFL takes a dim view of any scholarships. Just as likely, Campbell goes independent in 2017.

Next out? Morehead, Stetson, Jacksonville...

Catamount87
November 15th, 2016, 01:43 PM
At lunch today one of the local tv stations had "Camels move up to FCS" as the title in a graphic. A couple of us at lunch got a pretty good laugh about how clearly the station sports staff knew less about college football than local casual college sports fans.

clenz
November 15th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Campbell got games scheduled for next year?

Please call UNI AD David Harris at your earliest convenience. We'll help fund a few scholarships.

bonarae
November 15th, 2016, 06:03 PM
The PFL takes a dim view of any scholarships. Just as likely, Campbell goes independent in 2017.

Next out? Morehead, Stetson, Jacksonville...

Within 5 years? Probably none.