PDA

View Full Version : surprise team for 05

nlwwln
July 12th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Richmond spiders- 19 starters returning, had a very good recruiting class
new coach is the perfect fit for the program.
Coastal Carolina- has a chance to turn some heads with very competitve schedule, if they stay healthy could be representing the big south in the 05 playoffs

89Hen
July 12th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Richmond would be a surprise. Those are 19 starters that only beat VMI, Towson and UMass. They had a lot of close losses, but it was a LOT of close losses. UMass, @ Lafayette, @ Maine, @ Vandy, Villanova, @ Delaware, Hofstra, @JMU, @ Towson, W&M... 5-6 may be a bit of a surprise IMO.

WMTribe90
July 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM
UNH,

I think they will have a hard time duplicating last year's success. Their losses, though few, were key. I don't think they'll catch anybody off guard this year either. I see them losing too may close games in the meat grinder that is the A-10 and missing the playoffs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 12th, 2005, 03:32 PM
UNH,

I think they will have a hard time duplicating last year's success. Their losses, though few, were key. I don't think they'll catch anybody off guard this year either. I see them losing too may close games in the meat grinder that is the A-10 and missing the playoffs.

Yeah but don't they miss many of the heavy hitters in the A-1o this year? If so i think a repeat of last year is possible.

ISUMatt
July 12th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Illinois State...we cant be as bad as the end of last yr!!!

Purple Knight
July 12th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I'm watching Chattanooga and S C State. They have some talent, but putting it together is suspect.

Kill'em
July 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I'd go with S.C. State.

nlwwln
July 12th, 2005, 04:31 PM
yea new hampshire kind of came out of nowhere last year i dont think teams really knew what to expect of them and when they finally go their wits about themselves it was to late, i dont think it will be the same story this year i think they will be back in the middle of the pack in the A10, although they did beat rutgers and you really cant argue with that even though rutgers sucks. I expect to the A10 to return to its normal form with delaware jmu and w&m amongst the top but who knows, anyone one of those teams could be primed for a breakout season if you ask me because you just never know all of those teams are pretty competitve except for rhode island and towson but im sticking with my team to watch in richmond

nlwwln
July 12th, 2005, 04:32 PM
sc state is a good pick as well, some great runningbacks in that program, lets just see if they can put it all together

kats89
July 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I think McNeese St out of the Southland is going to sneak up on some people. Yes they had a down year last year and were very young, but they gave us all we could handle in Huntsville last year only to lose a close one in a high scoring affair.

DTSpider
July 12th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I'm a little concerned to see so many people picking the spiders as the surprise team of the year. While I think that the program is heading in the right direction under Clawson it's still only his second year. Thoughts around Richmond is that next year (i.e. 2006) is when it could come together. I'm a little hesitent knowing that they'll be a lot of real young players this year. Of the 19 returning starts a few will lose their starting spots to freshman most likely.

McNeese75
July 12th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I think McNeese St out of the Southland is going to sneak up on some people. Yes they had a down year last year and were very young, but they gave us all we could handle in Huntsville last year only to lose a close one in a high scoring affair.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

McNeeserocket
July 12th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks Kats89!

I was at that McNeese/Sam Houston game last year. I really enjoyed that game from several stand points. First I enjoyed watching your team. I like good offense and your quarterback and receivers were really top notch. Secondly, it gave me hope that McNeese actually had some talent, though youth and lack of confidence kept the team from achieving more than they did. I didn't mind losing that game all that much, because I know our guys played well. It actually would not have been right if we had won that game and kept you guys out of the playoffs or from winning the conference title.

It is nice to hear someone in our conference give us some complements. Seems like most conference foes enjoyed our down year just a little too much last year. I don't think our fans ever wish such hardtimes on other schools. I was also at the Florida International game where McNeese came from behind to win and the Nicholls game where our guys put a complete game together.

I sure hope you are right and McNeese can continue to put together more complete games.

Coastal89
July 12th, 2005, 05:37 PM
VMI. I think everybody will be surprised if they win a game this year. :D

kats89
July 12th, 2005, 05:40 PM

xlolx xlolx :lmao: :nono:

Let's be nice now!!!

ChickenMan
July 12th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Hofstra ... returns plenty of offense and they averaged over 36 points per game last season. If the Flyin Dutchmen find some defense... they could have a big year.

OL FU
July 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM

VMI plays Davidson @ home. If they don't win that one, you boys better get out of the Big South and quick.

OL FU
July 12th, 2005, 07:15 PM
App State - It could be the best year or the worst year. Ok many people may say that is not a surprise. But they were 6-5 last year. Two I-A opponents. They could easily be 7-4 and perhaps 8-3.

charliej
July 12th, 2005, 07:59 PM
UNH,

Hofstra ... returns plenty of offense and they averaged over 36 points per game last season. If the Flyin Dutchmen find some defense... they could have a big year.

I agree on both points.

rcny46
July 12th, 2005, 07:59 PM
UNH,as much as I hate to say it,will be 7-4 at best,but I won't be surprised if they end up 6-5 or even 5-6.Their lossess on the defensive side of the ball will kill them.The situation at DE is serious.

TxSt02
July 12th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Texas State We will go at least 8-3 this year over our 5-6 of last year. We will also finish at least 2nd in the SLC.

Sam_Kats
July 12th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I would hope you could go 8-3 with the best team you've had since the 80's...if not, your coaching staff will be the ones surprised!

bluedog
July 12th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Prairie View Panthers.....Will win eight games this year and ranked in the polls

rokamortis
July 12th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Texas State We will go at least 8-3 this year over our 5-6 of last year. We will also finish at least 2nd in the SLC.

They don't teach being humble in San Marcos?

colgate13
July 12th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Cornell and Hofstra. Cornell could catch some breaks and make a run at the Ivy title. Hofstra was a whole lotta 'O' last year. Find a 'D' and look out!

txstatebobcat
July 12th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Prairie View Panthers.....Will win eight games this year and ranked in the polls

I certainly agree with you that Prairie View will do better this year. Their coach has them going in the right direction, but PVA&M is the rebuilding job from hell. They are at least 2-3 years away from being 8-3. Wouldn't be surprised to see them win 3-4 games this year though.

As far as surprise teams.

Texas State. Yes I'm biased, but facts are that we had one of the toughest schedules in the country last year. I mean we had to go to road games to Cal Poly, Northwestern St, Sam Houston St, Appalachian St, Baylor, and McNeese St. There are probably less than a dozen teams that would have come out with winning record against that gauntlet.

This years schedule is much, much easier and with 19 returning starters an 8-3 or 9-2 record with a playoff bid is very realistic.

TheValleyRaider
July 12th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Given that Hofstra opens as the AGS Poll's #25, I'd be hard-pressed to call them a surprise. I also wouldn't be too surprised at success from Texas St., but that's more from all the noise I've heard here on the board than anything else, I guess they'd count as a surprise.

With that in mind, I agree with 13 about Cornell surprising some people (as long as it's not us ;) ) and if Bucknell finds a QB for their offense, they could be better than expected.

OSRacer
July 12th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I think Murray State will be much improved with new QB Ken Topps...The OVC has taken some lumps in the playoffs the past several years but I think if any team has the talent to make a run in the playoffs it is MSU...

Mr. C
July 12th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Some teams that I think will make impact this year include:
A-10: Hofstra (could win the A-10 title and should make the playoffs). Also, don't overlook Villanova. Andy and the boys might sneak up, on folks this season.
SoCon: Chattanooga (I look for them to finish in the top four).
Big South: Charleston Southern (they play a weak schedule and have been gradually getting better; could have a shiny Coastal Carolina type-record this year).
Southland: Texas State (I think they will battle for the league title with NW State and SHSU). Also look out for Southeastern Louisiana.
MEAC: South Carolina State (could be the Hampton of 2005).
Ivy: Brown (could challenge Harvard for the title and could crack the top-25).
Gateway: Something makes thnk that Indiana State might make some strides with their new coach, though it will be hard breaking into the top-three. Just a gut reaction here.

On some of the other picks by posters: One good year and Coastal Carolina can talk trash with VMI? Better watch out, CCU, you might not survive your tough schedule this year and could be vulnerable against the other Big South schools.

I'm not ready to think that McNeese State is in rebound mode. I look for another rough year for Tommy Tate and the folks in Lake Charles.

Why is everyone still doubting New Hampshire. They have the schedule to be in the thick of the North Division race and have one of the top-two pass-catch duos in I-AA. They will score a lot of points again and could win eight or nine games with just average defensive play. The Wildcats also have a very favorable schedule.

I too think that Richmond will make a move. Dave Clawson is a great coach and 19 starters back in the A-10 is not something to overlook in a conference where experience counts for so much.

AgentOrange
July 12th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Looking at your schedule, I can see something close to 6 wins overall. Anything more than that, and you're dreaming. The closest thing resembling a surprise is that you even emerge after the TAMU game. With all of your chatter, you know that they're waiting for you, ready to serve you a nice helping of CROW.

Golden Eagle
July 12th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I think Murray State will be much improved with new QB Ken Topps...The OVC has taken some lumps in the playoffs the past several years but I think if any team has the talent to make a run in the playoffs it is MSU...

A distinct possibility. I was thinking of the Racers when I saw this topic title.

rcny46
July 12th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Mr.C,you mention UNH's favorable schedule.I know they don't play JMU or Delaware,but still have to contend w/W&M,UMass,Hofstra,and Maine,and given the condition of the defense,I think they could possibly lose all four.They've had offenses in the past that have averaged 35-40 ppg,and still finished with a losing record;I think the same thing will happen in `05.

TxSt02
July 12th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Looking at your schedule, I can see something close to 6 wins overall. Anything more than that, and you're dreaming. The closest thing resembling a surprise is that you even emerge after the TAMU game. With all of your chatter, you know that they're waiting for you, ready to serve you a nice helping of CROW.

If you make it to San Marcos in November and we dont have at least 7 wins by then I will pay for your bar tab the night of the game. I hear it is now going to be a Thursday night game...

TexasTerror
July 13th, 2005, 06:50 AM

AgentOrange, your really beginning to irritate me with some of your comments on these boards. As much as I hate the Bobcats, in a rivalry sort of way, there's no chance they get six wins overall. They're going to be atleast a seven-win team and have no reason not to win eight games considering how their schedule shook out with tough teams coming to San Marcos.

The Cats will beat Nicholls, Delta State and Panhandle State. An awful SLC foe who continues to fall back due to probation and two sub Div-I schools. No problems there. I think the Cats will win against either Southern Utah or South Dakota State, if not BOTH games. If they were to lose one, I'd say it'd be South Dakota St. Tough team and that's the week after they play A&M, so we don't know how beat up they'll be. So, four wins.

I think the Lions from Southeastern will be in for it. They lost their star QB and are playing the Cats after they battled an I-A Tulane. Tulane isn't too special, but it's still going to be tough for the Lions. If the Cats lost to SDSU the week before, this is a guaranteed win for the Cats. Five wins.

Remaining schedule is A&M, a loss. Then, you have SFA on the road. I think SFA is going to be awful this year, so that's a win. Six.

Northwestern State, Sam Houston State and McNeese at home. I'd have to think that the Cats could go 2-1 in those games. I'm not quite sure where the wins will fall. NW St, SHSU and the Cats will be the top three teams in the league. McNeese is going to be the spoiler, but with all those games at home, especially with how the Cats had their way with McNeese in Lake Charles last year, I feel they'll go 2-1. That's eight wins, without much a problem.

buckp
July 13th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Northwestern State, Sam Houston State and McNeese at home. I'd have to think that the Cats could go 2-1 in those games. I'm not quite sure where the wins will fall. NW St, SHSU and the Cats will be the top three teams in the league. McNeese is going to be the spoiler.......

Bingo! McNeese really could mess up the SLC leaders this year especially since NW St and SHSU are coming to 'The Hole' this fall.....:nod:

bluedog
July 13th, 2005, 07:36 AM
I certainly agree with you that Prairie View will do better this year. Their coach has them going in the right direction, but PVA&M is the rebuilding job from hell. They are at least 2-3 years away from being 8-3. Wouldn't be surprised to see them win 3-4 games this year though.

They did that last year so that wouldn't be improvement.

Spider
July 13th, 2005, 07:40 AM
but im sticking with my team to watch in richmond
thanks NL, we should be better this year. Clawson is a winner and kids will have a better understanding of his system. Great recruiting class, but i think most will be RS. I don't know if 'better' will result in more 'wins' but we will be competitive.

89Hen
July 13th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Hofstra ... averaged over 36 points per game... find some defense... they could have a big year.
That's a broken record.

Husky Alum
July 13th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I'd like to think that if Northeastern gets anything out of its linebackers and defense, they'd surprise me. They will likely not compete for a playoff bid this year, but the bulk of the offense returns, and if Orio is as good as advertised,at QB he won't have to do much with a veteran line in front of him.

NU's schedule is simply suicidal. Over .500 would be a big surprise for me.

I think that Hofstra could be this year's UNH.

txstatebobcat
July 13th, 2005, 09:15 AM
They did that last year so that wouldn't be improvement.

Well 4 games is certainly an improvement. I only see them winning games against Texas Southern, Lincoln, and Paul Quinn with an outside shot at Mississippi Valley St. since they are playing in PV. Which games do you think the panthers will lose?

Edited to add that I forgot about JSU. They may actually win that game especially since its in PV as well. With that I predict that the panthers may win between 3-5 games this fall.

kats89
July 13th, 2005, 09:31 AM
AgentOrange, your really beginning to irritate me with some of your comments on these boards. As much as I hate the Bobcats, in a rivalry sort of way, there's no chance they get six wins overall. They're going to be atleast a seven-win team and have no reason not to win eight games considering how their schedule shook out with tough teams coming to San Marcos.

The Cats will beat Nicholls, Delta State and Panhandle State. An awful SLC foe who continues to fall back due to probation and two sub Div-I schools. No problems there. I think the Cats will win against either Southern Utah or South Dakota State, if not BOTH games. If they were to lose one, I'd say it'd be South Dakota St. Tough team and that's the week after they play A&M, so we don't know how beat up they'll be. So, four wins.

I think the Lions from Southeastern will be in for it. They lost their star QB and are playing the Cats after they battled an I-A Tulane. Tulane isn't too special, but it's still going to be tough for the Lions. If the Cats lost to SDSU the week before, this is a guaranteed win for the Cats. Five wins.

Remaining schedule is A&M, a loss. Then, you have SFA on the road. I think SFA is going to be awful this year, so that's a win. Six.

Northwestern State, Sam Houston State and McNeese at home. I'd have to think that the Cats could go 2-1 in those games. I'm not quite sure where the wins will fall. NW St, SHSU and the Cats will be the top three teams in the league. McNeese is going to be the spoiler, but with all those games at home, especially with how the Cats had their way with McNeese in Lake Charles last year, I feel they'll go 2-1. That's eight wins, without much a problem.

TT, I do agree that they will be improved. Yes they return 19 starters, but if they are talented as they all claim, they should have been better than 5-6 last year. I think there is a chance they could be 6-5 just as there is a chance they could be 8-3. IMO, I only see them winning one game on the road, so there is 3 losses, and they will lose at least one game at home, there is 4 losses. South Dakota St & Southern Utah will be no pushovers. S. Utah came from behind against SFA last year and almost won early in the year. McNeese will be a spoiler this year and I think SHSU and TSU could be playing for a conference title in November. I don't think 6-5 is out of the possiblity for them, just like I don't think 6-5 is out of the possibility for us. But, given their schedule, there is no reason for them not to be 8-3 or better since they are returning 19. You know as well as I do that the TSU fans set themselves up for disappointment every year. Maybe this year will be different who knows, but I doubt it.

txst02, I will take you up on that bet. And if you have 7 wins and are in the hunt for a conference title, I will return the favor. I am planning on being there in November.

Fordham
July 13th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Eastern Kentucky :)

Richmond

*I agree with Go...gate that teams in the top 25 shouldn't be considered suprises (unless as some have noted it's b/c they'll be suprisingly bad this year). My opinion is this should be a team in either the middle of the pack or worse, from a pre-season picks standpoint.

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 13th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Sorry, I don't know enough about the other conferences to make an accurate prediction so, I'll stick with the Southland.

I'll go with Northwestern St. to go beyond winning the Southland and actually winning a/some playoff game(s).

Haha...bold prediction huh? K, another team is SELA. I know they lost their QB, head coach...etc. But, MOST of the Southland hasn't seen this team yet (I think Sam, TxSt, and McNeese are the only ones who have) So, they could shock 'em with their air raid AND their new RB transfer from Auburn.

McNeese could be in the hunt.

Ok...so the Southland is a toss up. Anyone could be a surprise team (good or bad). That is all.

The Gadfly
July 13th, 2005, 11:23 AM
On some of the other picks by posters: One good year and Coastal Carolina can talk trash with VMI? Better watch out, CCU, you might not survive your tough schedule this year and could be vulnerable against the other Big South schools.

With 30+ returning for Coastal I would doubt us too. As for the tough schedule and "surviving", we got hurt pretty bad last year, but our squad is different from other teams b/c we have back ups hungry enough to fill the spots and succeed in filling the gaps. We should be deep enough to get through the "hard" teams. Thanks for worrying though Mr.C ;) .

As for the suprise team, I would have to say that Charleston Southern wil turn it around and suprise some people... starting with the Citadel :cool: .

TxSt02
July 13th, 2005, 11:39 AM

A surprise post from TT... thanks for the breakdown. We have a very similar schedule as to what you guys had last year... Still looking towards November...

TexasTerror
July 13th, 2005, 11:52 AM
A surprise post from TT... thanks for the breakdown. We have a very similar schedule as to what you guys had last year... Still looking towards November...

Hey, if someone attacks an SLC school, even if it's someone from Sam and they lack common sense or presents a reasonable argument, they'll get an earful from me...

Ivytalk
July 13th, 2005, 12:32 PM
In the Ivies, I would have to say Cornell. The Big Red lost several close ones last year, and they're bringing a lot of folks back.

LBPop
July 13th, 2005, 01:32 PM
In the Ivies, I would have to say Cornell. The Big Red lost several close ones last year, and they're bringing a lot of folks back.

I would agree, but the interesting thing to watch will be how well their staff assimilates 40 new recruits. It appears they are upgrading their talent level, so if they can uncover a few excellent freshmen to contribute, they will really surprise some folks. Planning on getting a first hand look when the Hoyas travel north in mid October.

McNeese75
July 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Hey, if someone attacks an SLC school, even if it's someone from Sam and they lack common sense or presents a reasonable argument, they'll get an earful from me...

:nod: :bow:

eaglefan452
July 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
SoCon: Chattanooga (I look for them to finish in the top four).

While I truly hope that Chattanooga does better (the more conference members that do well the better, right A-10 guys? ;) ), I really don't see them as much more than middle of the pack in the SoCon. I don't think that they are at that level where they can take the "next step". I know that they have been having a couple of good recruiting seasons lately, finishing 5th is most likely the best case scenario for them.

bigred
July 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM
If, and it is a big if, the Keydets can stay healthy...you just may be surprised with the results out of Lexington this year.

rokamortis
July 13th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I agree - the keydets had a pretty decent team, just a bunch of bad luck. They could really put a hurting on some folks if they are underestimated.

SoCon48
July 13th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Coastal's tough schedule? 3 games.

golionsgo
July 13th, 2005, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror]
QUOTE]

I'm in no way predicting that we'll beat the Bobcats but to say this is a "guaranteed win for the Cats," is ridiculous. We played without our starting center and two defensive starters in San Marcos last year and if our fullback doesn't drop the football while about to cross the goalline in OT, we win that game. Furthermore, we were emotionally flat and played one of the sloppiest games on offense we played all year.

No question it will be a tough game, just as all of our conference games will be, but we should be significantly improved on the defensive side of the ball which should definitely help offset any dropoff in offensive production we might suffer with the loss of Hankins.

GeauxLions94
July 13th, 2005, 06:19 PM

:hurray: :beerchug: :bow: xprost2x :nod:

charliej
July 13th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Mr.C,you mention UNH's favorable schedule.I know they don't play JMU or Delaware,but still have to contend w/W&M,UMass,Hofstra,and Maine,and given the condition of the defense,I think they could possibly lose all four.They've had offenses in the past that have averaged 35-40 ppg,and still finished with a losing record;I think the same thing will happen in `05.

Last year Nova scored a season high 40 points on the other cats...still lost the game by 11. IF UNH can score like they did last year they will be fine.I'm just not so sure they will be able to put up the points they did a year ago.Loss of Harvey could have a big impact on the ground game.

blackfordpu
July 13th, 2005, 07:46 PM
txst02, I will take you up on that bet. And if you have 7 wins and are in the hunt for a conference title, I will return the favor. I am planning on being there in November.

Can I get in on that too? :confused: :confused: I'll be there in November expecting a game like the one in Huntsville last season. :)

TxSt02
July 13th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Can I get in on that too? :confused: :confused: I'll be there in November expecting a game like the one in Huntsville last season. :)

Possibly only thing is that I can only drink as much as one not two people... and this deal could force me to have to buy drinks for two people and the possible return only get me enough to drink for one...

Leading up to September I can think of something that we can all get in on... Maybe even a Bobcatfans.com vs bearkatsportsforum.com

ngineer
July 13th, 2005, 09:35 PM
If, and it is a big if, the Keydets can stay healthy...you just may be surprised with the results out of Lexington this year.

Didn't need to hear that. We have VMI after Delaware and just before Harvard. I was sort of hoping Sept. 24 might be a 'breather' :(

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 13th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Didn't need to hear that. We have VMI after Delaware and just before Harvard. I was sort of hoping Sept. 24 might be a 'breather' :(

I'm not too worried about VMI if Lehigh brings there B or better game. They have a week off after Delaware to re-group which will certaintly help. I'm sure they'll be ready to get after things after 2 weeks of beating on eachother and if Lehigh loses at the Tub they should be extra cranky. Plus for all things Lembo's been criticized for he does a good job of rallying the troops after a tough loss, JMU after Lafayette last year, Bucknell in '03 after Colgate.

igo4uni
July 13th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Gateway: Something makes thnk that Indiana State might make some strides with their new coach, though it will be hard breaking into the top-three. Just a gut reaction here.

Wow, that is a bold statement. No Way does Indiana State make any impact in the Gateway race. Sorry to disagree with you, but the Trees suck.

peace

igo4uni

lucchesicourt
July 14th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Is UNH's "D" suppose to be all that bad next year? If so, I think we can expect a high scring UC Davis/UNH game. Both teams have a good offense, and I expect this years UCD team to be just as good as last years (and maybe an improved running game too). The defense , welllllll, who knows.

kats89
July 14th, 2005, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror]
QUOTE]

I'm in no way predicting that we'll beat the Bobcats but to say this is a "guaranteed win for the Cats," is ridiculous. We played without our starting center and two defensive starters in San Marcos last year and if our fullback doesn't drop the football while about to cross the goalline in OT, we win that game. Furthermore, we were emotionally flat and played one of the sloppiest games on offense we played all year.

No question it will be a tough game, just as all of our conference games will be, but we should be significantly improved on the defensive side of the ball which should definitely help offset any dropoff in offensive production we might suffer with the loss of Hankins.

golionsgo, don't let the tx st. bobkitties get under your skin. they are talking like that they have the NC wrapped up. Of course, they have talked that noise for the last 10 years only to fall on their face.

rcny46
July 14th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I think the UNH defense will be pretty bad,but that's just my opinion.They lost five starters and I don't see anyone stepping into those positions to the extent that their D becomes a top notch unit.Opponents will be able to score on them.Time will tell I guess.

FL connection
July 14th, 2005, 05:27 PM
If EIU gets out of the gate with a couple of W's.......watch out OVC. connection out!

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 14th, 2005, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=golionsgo]

golionsgo, don't let the tx st. bobkitties get under your skin. they are talking like that they have the NC wrapped up. Of course, they have talked that noise for the last 10 years only to fall on their face.

LoL...kats89, it wasn't a Bobcat who posted that a Texas State win vs. SELA was assurred--it was a Bearkat (TexasTerror).

Personally, I expect it to be a good game and, as I stated in a previous post, it could go either way.

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 14th, 2005, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=golionsgo]

LoL...kats89, it wasn't a Bobcat who posted that a Texas State win vs. SELA was assurred--it was a Bearkat (TexasTerror).

Personally, I expect it to be a good game and, as I stated in a previous post, it could go either way. I don't think any Bobcat fan will say that a win vs. SELA is guaranteed. We learned that lesson (though in wins) during our last two meetings. I hope SELA does well and I will be pulling for them every week except the week they play us.

Mr. C
July 14th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I think the UNH defense will be pretty bad,but that's just my opinion.They lost five starters and I don't see anyone stepping into those positions to the extent that their D becomes a top notch unit.Opponents will be able to score on them.Time will tell I guess.
The A-10 preseason guide lists New Hampshire with eight returning starters on defense and seven on offense. The Wildcats have ALL three linebackers back, three DBs and two linemen returning on defense.

blackfordpu
July 14th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Possibly only thing is that I can only drink as much as one not two people... and this deal could force me to have to buy drinks for two people and the possible return only get me enough to drink for one...

Leading up to September I can think of something that we can all get in on... Maybe even a Bobcatfans.com vs bearkatsportsforum.com

Way to over analyze that one txst02. You go ahead and get a friend to get in on it and then it will be even. :p

rcny46
July 14th, 2005, 11:00 PM
The A-10 preseason guide is wrong,Mr C.They lost one linebacker,Amir Saadah,two DB's in Giovanni Benson and Aaron Thomas,along with two linemen,both of whom played on the ends.

Mr. C
July 15th, 2005, 01:35 AM
The A-10 preseason guide is wrong,Mr C.They lost one linebacker,Amir Saadah,two DB's in Giovanni Benson and Aaron Thomas,along with two linemen,both of whom played on the ends.
I'll go with the A-10 guide. They list Corey Graham, Etienne Boulay and Baron Flenory as the starters back in the secondary, along with sophomore Jeff Pammer, who started as a true freshman. The linebackers are E.J. DeWitt (100 tackles), Alan Tallman (53 tackles) and Mark Rutberg. I know that they lost George Peterson on the line. They list Derek Stank at tackle and Brian Barbato, another senior, at end. I can't tell you off the top of my head if DE Keith Sawyer and DT Dan Wagner had starts last year, but it is frequent for teams to list as returning starters any players who start in a majority of games, or are starting at the end of the season. That may be where your numbers differ from the A-10. I know they had some injuries last year that caused some juggling. Anyway, with players like Graham, Boulay, DeWitt, Stank and Barbato, they have the makings of a decent unit. I wouldn't count them out. Teams like Delaware (four returning starters), Maine (five), JMU, Towson and Villanova (six each) have as many holes, or more to plug than New Hampshire.

rcny46
July 15th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Boulay was a spot starter when someone in the secondary was out,but Giovanni Benson was the main guy there,and he decided to leave school.Rutberg was in the same situation,playing behind one of their better linebackers in recent years,Amir Saadah who graduated.Rutberg will now be a regular.Thomas is gone,as are Petersen and Jared Perkoski, the other starter at DE.Wagner and Stank are the two back on the defensive line.To my way of "thinking,"they lost five starters.It's a stretch in MHO to say someone is a returning starter if they filled in on occasion.BTW,Keith Sawyer actually played very little last year, Barbato(only about 230#) more frequently,and both are being looked at for the defensive end slots.I guess it's time to put this argument to rest as there are more important things to be talking about on this board with the `05 season just around the corner.Nice talking to you ,Mr.C.

GannonFan
July 15th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I'm just not all that sold on Richmond - yeah they played a few games close last year, but they had huge portions of those games when things weren't close - they were down 38-0 to W&M before making it respectable, they were done 20-0 to UD before making that close, and Hofstra broke open a close game by outscoring Richmond 31-0 in the 2nd half - was Richmond keeping these games close or were other teams letting up a bit on a bad team? I think Richmond is certainly capable of beating Towson and maybe another conference win, but I can't see them seriously challenging to be .500, let alone any better, this year - the South remains pretty tough with 4 quality teams in front of them (UD, JMU, W&M, nova) - wins aren't easy to come by there.

skinny_uncle
July 15th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Illinois State...we cant be as bad as the end of last yr!!!
You ain't that bad. You just play in a tough conference. ISU would be a contender if they were in the OVC.
:D

The Gadfly
July 18th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Coastal's tough schedule? 3 games.

"L B" is talking smack on the discussion side of the forum? How typical. And yes JMU, SC State, and Elon should be our toughest, but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes :cool:

I agree but the problem like last year for the Keydets is depth. I really hope you guys turn it around this year and give us another scare. And PLEASE beat El Cid this year!!!

PAmedic
August 15th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Gotta think our guys at Liberty are capable of vast improvment. That alone qualifies them as a potential "Surprise" for some teams, though they may not win a ton more games. A pretty talented, though admittedly thin, O-line oughta give our really talented young RBs a chance to show what they are made of. Can't wait to find out!

ChiefGSU275
August 15th, 2005, 11:49 PM
App state should be very good, possibly win the SoCon. They have a great senior qb, and a coach who is looking to prove he still "has it". They typically play GSU very tough at home, but will have a tough time getting through Furman. If Richie Williams can have another career day, look for the mountaineers to represent the SoCon in the playoffs, if not, there could be a three way tie in the SoCon (GSU, FU, ASU).

eagleskins
August 16th, 2005, 12:43 AM
App state should be very good, possibly win the SoCon. They have a great senior qb, and a coach who is looking to prove he still "has it". They typically play GSU very tough at home, but will have a tough time getting through Furman. If Richie Williams can have another career day, look for the mountaineers to represent the SoCon in the playoffs, if not, there could be a three way tie in the SoCon (GSU, FU, ASU).

Tell me you are joking? They have one of the worst defenses in the country, and lost their best offensive player ever. They finish 3rd at best, and I would not be suprised if they finish 5th.

SpiritCymbal
August 16th, 2005, 01:20 AM
The SoCon will have no surprise teams this year. It'll be the typical coming from the SoCon......you know, the same teams that it has always been since Marshall left after '96.

Cincy App
August 16th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Tell me you are joking? They have one of the worst defenses in the country, and lost their best offensive player ever. They finish 3rd at best, and I would not be suprised if they finish 5th.

Historically, ASU has been a strong defensive team first and then prayed for offensive support. Yes, ASU was awful on defense last year but this is a new year. Several key players return who didn't play last year (Lynch, Dingle, Hunter, Banks) so we shall see. Case in point, GSU was weak on defense in 2003 but played very well last year.

We have a very tough OOC schedule so it will still be difficult for ASU to return to the playoffs. But that's what preseason is for - everyone has a shot right now.

By the way, ASU's best offensive player ever probably was John Settle. Ritchie Williams is not too shabby either.

DetroitFlyer
August 16th, 2005, 07:36 AM
We have a fairly easy schedule this year. We play Division II Tiffin and Division III Wittenberg. In the PFL San Diego and Drake will be our biggest challenges. We play San Diego in Dayton and with Todd Mortenson having graduated and Evan Harney out with an injury we should get the win. Drake will be tough but they may get beat up early playing two Gateway Conference teams. If we can get by Drake, an undefeated season to celebrate our 100th year of football is a real possibility!

tsutiger
August 16th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Tennessee State Tigers. 4-7 Last season. :mad: 10-1 This season :nod:

SochorField
August 16th, 2005, 12:27 PM
For those of you actually paying attention to West Coast IAA.....look for the Aggies to jump to a 3-0 start with victories over New Hamphire and Portland State at home, and Stanford on the road......and cracking the top-15 by week 4.

Thumper250
August 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I'll say G-W, because they were picked third in the BSC preseason. Watched practice the other day and was very, very impressed by the offense. Much faster on both sides than last year, or any year that I've seen em. We'll see.

I do hear that a major surprise addition is on the way. That would help I guess.

SunCoastBlueHen
August 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Hey, everyone! Just wanted to first say that I have enjoyed reading this board for a while and decided to register in time for the upcoming season.

As for the surprise team of '05 - I hate to say it, but 'Nova should be tough this year. They always have talent and were hindered by a few key injuries last year.

Kill'em
August 17th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the board :beerchug:

LBPop
August 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM
As for the surprise team of '05 - I hate to say it, but 'Nova should be tough this year. They always have talent and were hindered by a few key injuries last year.

Oh my goodness!! An objective Delaware fan...even when discussing Villanova! How many does that total on this board? ;) :p :D

89Hen
August 18th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Oh my goodness!! An objective Delaware fan...even when discussing Villanova! How many does that total on this board?
Give him time, he's new. We'll win him over to the dark side soon enough. Suncoast, I am your father. :p

SunCoastBlueHen
August 18th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I'm two years removed from Newark. Maybe the Florida sun has gotten to me.

GannonFan
August 18th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Oh my goodness!! An objective Delaware fan...even when discussing Villanova! How many does that total on this board? ;) :p :D

Oh come on, we're very objective when it comes to nova - nova deserves to be despised - sometimes the truth just hurts.

Black and Gold Express
August 18th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Historically, ASU has been a strong defensive team first and then prayed for offensive support. Yes, ASU was awful on defense last year but this is a new year. Several key players return who didn't play last year (Lynch, Dingle, Hunter, Banks) so we shall see. Case in point, GSU was weak on defense in 2003 but played very well last year.

We have a very tough OOC schedule so it will still be difficult for ASU to return to the playoffs. But that's what preseason is for - everyone has a shot right now.

Good analogy there for the GSU faithful. They have reason to question our defense, considering the ass-whipping they gave us last year.

I keep flip-flopping on which one of FU/GSU we would more likely win. We have had Furman's number lately, but getting GSU in Boone is huge too. And there's no doubt in my mind Furman is the better team of the two. Unfortunately, until I see a few games this year, I'm gonna have to vote the most likely scenario is we go 0-2 against them. But if we win at EKU, and have a good showing against KU, I would think that we'll take at least one of those two.

If ASU is to go to the playoffs, we'll need 8-3. We're going to be at least 2-2 on OOC play, and 1-3 isn't a stretch (win against CCU, loss against EKU). But even if we go 2-2 in OOC, we need to beat one of Furman or GSU. 7-4 with losses to the four best teams we face will not get us in the playoffs.

SoCon48
August 18th, 2005, 03:56 PM

By the way, ASU's best offensive player ever probably was John Settle. Ritchie Williams is not too shabby either.

The GUS guy said maybe fifth. I just hope we take care of GUS in Boone.
I'd have to agree about Settle.