PDA

View Full Version : If SHSU Goes Undefeated, No Less Than a No. 2 Seed

Pages : [1] 2

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2016, 11:41 AM
I've been lurking on Twitter and on this board.

There certainly have been a lot of guys coming off as jerks from both sides of the coin, but let's lay out the facts.

Yes, the Southland Conference is probably as bad as it's been in the last decade.

Yes, playing nine league games when the league is this bad hurts the strength of schedule for most of the league schools. And quite frankly, I'm really agitated with the Southland's scheduling too. If I criticized a 'nine-game mandate' when the SWAC was doing it, I can certainly be critical when the Southland is doing it!

Yes, it would have been better if SHSU was able to play that New Mexico game instead of having to buy a game against Oklahoma Panhandle State of the Div II ranks. Though let's all applaud SHSU for upcoming games vs Richmond (at SHSU), home-and-home with North Dakota.

And yes, we really do not know what SHSU would do against the perceived 'heavyweights' of FCS so everyone here has the argument that the Bearkats are 'overrated' until proven otherwise.

However...

At the end of it all...

And clearly based off the first release of the committee's rankings...

If Sam Houston State is 11-0, there is no way the committee will slot them lower than a No. 2 seed.

You can make all sorts of arguments you want, but do you honestly think the committee will do something different? Do you think the committee would make Sam Houston State leave Bowers Stadium?

superman7515
November 7th, 2016, 11:43 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VioletSkinnyHarvestmouse-size_restricted.gif

Thundar
November 7th, 2016, 11:44 AM

There certainly have been a lot of guys coming off as jerks from both sides of the coin, but let's lay out the facts.

Yes, the Southland Conference is probably as bad as it's been in the last decade.

Yes, playing nine league games when the league is this bad hurts the strength of schedule for most of the league schools. And quite frankly, I'm really agitated with the Southland's scheduling too. If I criticized a 'nine-game mandate' when the SWAC was doing it, I can certainly be critical when the Southland is doing it!

Yes, it would have been better if SHSU was able to play that New Mexico game instead of having to buy a game against Oklahoma Panhandle State of the Div II ranks. Though let's all applaud SHSU for upcoming games vs Richmond (at SHSU), home-and-home with North Dakota.

And yes, we really do not know what SHSU would do against the perceived 'heavyweights' of FCS so everyone here has the argument that the Bearkats are 'overrated' until proven otherwise.

However...

At the end of it all...

If Sam Houston State is 11-0, there is no way the committee will slot them lower than a No. 2 seed.

You can make all sorts of arguments you want, but do you honestly think the committee will do something different? Do you think the committee would make Sam Houston State leave Bowers Stadium?

yes they sure could be 3 or 4....record isnt the only thing they will look at, but this committee has already shown their incompetence

dewey
November 7th, 2016, 11:45 AM

However...

At the end of it all...

After listening to the interview with the committee chair on Friday I am not sure they even know what the heck they are doing? Whatever criteria they are using they are not consistent on all teams (not just NDSU).

My question would be is why is SHSU different than McNeese State last year?

Dewey

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Undefeated regular season teams since 2009
2015 McNeese #4
2013 North Dakota St #1
2011 Sam Houston St #1
2009 Montana #1

I was actually about to add to my post when you asked -

SHSU has been higher ranked throughout the year and that should help some. McNeese was No. 9 until two weeks remained (when they beat SHSU and jumped to No. 3). SHSU will also own a top 10 victory in the final week of the season - if they are undefeated and all things remain the same - as I presume Central Arkansas will be top 10. I know McNeese owned a top 10 win (SHSU), but that last game of the year momentum is H-U-G-E as the committee will be watching for seed considerations. One of bigger end of year games, no doubt.

I also think that NCAA committees historically have rewarded 'history' so in the case of SHSU, you got a program that has been 'here' the last few years with runs to the semifinals and finals over the last five or so years. This includes road wins in the playoffs and holding their own as a seeded team. McNeese on the other hand is one of the biggest, historic playoff disasters year-to-year. This should not be a determining factor, but the truth is in the pudding.

citdog
November 7th, 2016, 11:54 AM
The Patsy League is rated higher than the Southland. Enough said.

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 11:55 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VioletSkinnyHarvestmouse-size_restricted.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/145hX7QVWqyili/giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2016, 11:57 AM
blah blah blah blah
It is getting so irritating to hear the "my team has to be top 2 if they win out" argument when all you talk about is your team in a vacuum. Put the argument out there about why SHSU is better than all but one of EWU, NDSU, JSU, JMU, and The Citadel this year.

Until then it's not even worth discussing with you. Because if you think the committee isn't going to have those same discussions very soon (which by their own chair's admission they didn't have before voting on their first ranking) you're dreaming.

Daytripper
November 7th, 2016, 11:57 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/gevBX97z8nZ5K/giphy.gif

Bearkat 41
November 7th, 2016, 11:59 AM
After listening to the interview with the committee chair on Friday I am not sure they even know what the heck they are doing? Whatever criteria they are using they are not consistent on all teams (not just NDSU).

Dewey

probably nothing if looking just at the records and results. But McNeese state didn't start the season as a top 5 team to start last year. That's probably the only difference. But for the decision makers it apparently hold some kind of weight. Right, wrong or indifferent.

IBleedYellow
November 7th, 2016, 12:00 PM
http://www.lipolondon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Simpsons-walk-in-walk-out-whistling.gif

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2016, 12:04 PM
probably nothing if looking just at the records and results. But McNeese state didn't start the season as a top 5 team to start last year. That's probably the only difference. But for the decision makers it apparently hold some kind of weight. Right, wrong or indifferent.

Agreed. That beginning of year to end of year hold at/or near the top means a world of difference.

nevadagriz
November 7th, 2016, 12:08 PM
I say let Shsu be the 1 or 2 seed. If they are as weak as some say then they probably wont make it to the semi's anyways. Also if your team is as good as you think there is no problem going down to SHSU and beating them in the Semis. They played and beat everyone on their schedule that is all they can do!

Daytripper
November 7th, 2016, 12:08 PM
I say let Shsu be the 1 or 2 seed. If they are as weak as some say then they probably wont make it to the semi's anyways. Also if your team is as good as you think there is no problem going down to SHSU and beating them in the Semis. They played and beat everyone on their schedule that is all they can do!

Thank you.

KPSUL
November 7th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Any discussion about where SHSU should be ranked after going undefeated has to assume that the other top 4 or 5 teams all win out. Given those assumptions, SHSU belongs no higher than 3rd, and maybe 4th or 5th; and I expect that's what we'd see on the AGS poll. There is just too wide a disparity between the SOS of NDSU or EWU and SHSU to consider SHSU ranked or seeded over them. After seeing how the remaining games go, I might also take a hard look before ranking them ahead of JMU or The Citadel. The fact is we just don't have evidence to know how good SHSU. They could be a playoff finalist, or lose their first playoff game, who could tell from their 2016 schedule and results?

kalm
November 7th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Agreed. That beginning of year to end of year hold at/or near the top means a world of difference.

So you should have EWU no higher than 7th.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 7th, 2016, 12:42 PM

So what? That doesn't mean that others aren't doing more right now and should probably be given the nod for those circumstances. Also, who has been saying SHSU isn't good? I haven't seen it unless it is someone trolling for effect. What you do see is people saying their competition has been lacking. That is far different than what you said there.

CappinHard
November 7th, 2016, 12:42 PM

I think you guys are hanging your hat on this part of the equation way too much. At some point the committee is going to sit down and compare the top teams, and SHSU's resume just won't look as good. It's as simple as that.

caribbeanhen
November 7th, 2016, 12:44 PM

you might be at the root of a lot of the angst coming out of the great mid-west with this

citdog
November 7th, 2016, 12:47 PM
So what? That doesn't mean that others aren't doing more right now and should probably be given the nod for those circumstances. Also, who has been saying SHSU isn't good? I haven't seen it unless it is someone trolling for effect. What you do see is people saying their competition has been lacking. That is far different than what you said there.

SHSU is a good football team. It's too bad that the FBS opponent pulled out. McNeese is the best team the Bearkats have played so far and are down this year and UCA just might make the whole convo irrelevant.

Nickels
November 7th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I think you guys are hanging your hat on this part of the equation way too much. At some point the committee is going to sit down and compare the top teams, and SHSU's resume just won't look as good. It's as simple as that.
xlolx I love how AGSers think they know more than the committee. Like they have no idea what's going on until they "sit down". Hilarious.

dudeitsaid
November 7th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Undefeated regular season teams since 2009
2015 McNeese #4
2013 North Dakota St #1
2011 Sam Houston St #1
2009 Montana #1

I was actually about to add to my post when you asked -

SHSU has been higher ranked throughout the year and that should help some. McNeese was No. 9 until two weeks remained (when they beat SHSU and jumped to No. 3). SHSU will also own a top 10 victory in the final week of the season - if they are undefeated and all things remain the same - as I presume Central Arkansas will be top 10. I know McNeese owned a top 10 win (SHSU), but that last game of the year momentum is H-U-G-E as the committee will be watching for seed considerations. One of bigger end of year games, no doubt.

I also think that NCAA committees historically have rewarded 'history' so in the case of SHSU, you got a program that has been 'here' the last few years with runs to the semifinals and finals over the last five or so years. This includes road wins in the playoffs and holding their own as a seeded team. McNeese on the other hand is one of the biggest, historic playoff disasters year-to-year. This should not be a determining factor, but the truth is in the pudding.

IMO, I think this is a reasonable prediction of how the committee will view things. And, with a win over UCA, I personally will have less of a gripe, though I will still think NDSU and EWU winning out will deserve it more. But then, there is a quality win to hang your hat on.

There are two parts to the SHSU situation that's being discussed on a couple of threads.. What will the committee do? And is it fair to the rest of the field? I think you've hit what the committee will do spot on. Whether it will be fair is the reason for so much debate.

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2016, 01:06 PM
xlolx I love how AGSers think they know more than the committee. Like they have no idea what's going on until they "sit down". Hilarious.
I love how you think the committee's initial ranking will mean anything when they start tearing apart each team in order to sort them out.

I also love how the only argument Sam fans can make for their team being in the top 2 is "cuz the committee said we were".

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 01:08 PM

Dewey

McNeese haven't won a playoff game since when? Recent history has a thing to do with rankings like it or not. SHSU returned most of last year's team that reached the semis, the reason they were ranked so high in the preseason polls.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2016, 01:16 PM
The Patsy League is rated higher than the Southland. Enough said.

Lehigh the No. 2 seed - from your lips to God's Ears

dewey
November 7th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Recent history has a thing to do with rankings like it or not. SHSU returned most of last year's team that reached the semis, the reason they were ranked so high in the preseason polls.

Should NDSU automatically be the #1 seed then since NDSU has more playoff success?

Dewey

Mayville Bison
November 7th, 2016, 01:24 PM

I agree. While I may not agree with them, it's not like they pulled names out of a hat.

It's gonna be fun the next few weeks seeing the fans of some team completely freak out. Either "how are they still #1/2?" or "how can they jump us when we didn't lose?" Honestly, can't lose either way getting this free entertainment!

BisonTru
November 7th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Do we have do this every week, and really is this the week the Sammy fans want make their case? After giving McNeese their second highest scoring game of the season. xrolleyesx

Any way folks want to slice it, Sammy hasn't played anyone. Luckily tho, they get an opportunity against a solid Central Arkansas to make their case. Until then I don't see anyone's opinion changing no matter where you think they fit on the national stage.

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 01:27 PM
I love how you think the committee's initial ranking will mean anything when they start tearing apart each team in order to sort them out.

I also love how the only argument Sam fans can make for their team being in the top 2 is "cuz the committee said we were".

I love how you think its going to change very much. So this week, the committee will put more emphasis on SOS? Did they say let's put some BS list out there the first time and see what the public thinks then let's go with what they say.

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 01:31 PM
I love how you think its going to change very much. So this week, the committee will put more emphasis on SOS? Did they say let's put some BS list out there the first time and see what the public thinks then let's go with what they say.

While I agree with you, they did say essentially these aren't our real rankings we haven't gone in depth on the teams yet, it's more of our baseline.

Htownbearkat
November 7th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Should NDSU automatically be the #1 seed then since NDSU has more playoff success?

Dewey
probably

UNIFanSince1983
November 7th, 2016, 01:46 PM

So this is an issue really. Yeah they shouldn't have a problem, but why should they have to travel when they have proven through the season they are better? Why should NDSU or EWU have to go to Texas just because SHSU is undefeated?

And yes they have played and beat everyone on their schedule and that is all they can do. That doesn't mean they deserve a Top 2 seed. The Citadel has played and beaten everyone on their schedule too. However, right now no one is talking about them being #1 or #2 seed. They have wins over Chattanooga and Samford. Who are both ranked and very good.

Would you argue that Western Michigan should be ranked in the Top 2 of the FBS simply because they have won every game? It isn't WMU's fault their conference sucks. They just beat the teams in front of them and that is all they can do. Yet only the biggest of all homers would argue that.

AmsterBison
November 7th, 2016, 01:52 PM
For reference:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?187937-Your-team-s-best-wins/

McNeese72
November 7th, 2016, 01:54 PM
From what I have seen of the two teams, UCA might make this discussion irrelevant the last weekend of the regular season.

;)

Doc

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 01:54 PM
For reference:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?187937-Your-team-s-best-wins/

So McNeese was a best win for UCA, but just another cupcake for Sam xeyebrowx

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 01:55 PM
From what I have seen of the two teams, UCA might make this discussion irrelevant the last weekend of the regular season.

;)

Doc

If they have a passing game and can play from behind as well as McNeese did, they just might.

JMUNJ08
November 7th, 2016, 01:57 PM
So this is an issue really. Yeah they shouldn't have a problem, but why should they have to travel when they have proven through the season they are better? Why should NDSU or EWU have to go to Texas just because SHSU is undefeated?

And yes they have played and beat everyone on their schedule and that is all they can do. That doesn't mean they deserve a Top 2 seed. The Citadel has played and beaten everyone on their schedule too. However, right now no one is talking about them being #1 or #2 seed. They have wins over Chattanooga and Samford. Who are both ranked and very good.

Would you argue that Western Michigan should be ranked in the Top 2 of the FBS simply because they have won every game? It isn't WMU's fault their conference sucks. They just beat the teams in front of them and that is all they can do. Yet only the biggest of all homers would argue that.

I also have Troy in the top 10 with just 1 Loss for my FBS poll....

I don't think people deny SHSU is good, but without ANY comparisons or A SINGLE decent team played to date (Nicholls?), they cannot be higher than 5... Its science...

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 02:00 PM
I also have Troy in the top 10 with just 1 Loss for my FBS poll....

I don't think people deny SHSU is good, but without ANY comparisons or A SINGLE decent team played to date (Nicholls?), they cannot be higher than 5... Its science...

Committee must think history is a better subject.

Bisonator
November 7th, 2016, 02:01 PM
If they have a passing game and can play from behind as well as McNeese did, they just might.
Or they could play good defense. McNeese used that 3 rush BS NDSU tried with EWU. Gotta hit Briscoe early and often.

JMUNJ08
November 7th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Committee must think history is a better subject.

They must not be from the state of Texas then who likes to write their own version of history....

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2016, 02:05 PM
It may not change. However, if it doesn't I'd expect we'll have a little more to go on from the committee chair on why each team is where they're at. In other words, we'll get to understand how much or how little they value things like SOS, FCS losses, and margin of victory. The cop out response he gave last week about how they hadn't discussed the actual rankings at all collectively as a group so he couldn't explain why teams were where they were at just made me shake my head.

AmsterBison
November 7th, 2016, 02:07 PM
So McNeese was a best win for UCA, but just another cupcake for Sam xeyebrowx

No, I just haven't updated that yet for this Saturday's games. I'll definitely be taking South Dakota off the "good wins" list. Should I call a 5-5 McNeese State win a good one? I'm kind of leaning towards yes, but if they lose their next game, then no.

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 02:09 PM
The only thing new in this thread is that TT posted again...

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 02:11 PM
No, I just haven't updated that yet for this Saturday's games. I'll definitely be taking South Dakota off the "good wins" list. Should I call a 5-5 McNeese State win a good one? I'm kind of leaning towards yes, but if they lose their next game, then no.

Keep McNeese off, do I think they are starting to jell with the new coaching staff and are playing better then they were earlier in the season? Yes, but I don't want to ruin the all cupcakes until the semis reputation my team has.

7yearkat
November 7th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Dewey

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't NDSU ranked #1 until they lost? If they won all their games wouldn't they still be #1? Are you suggesting that the pollsters were wrong earlier this year? Clearly the pollsters wouldn't do something silly like base that on previous success.

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't NDSU ranked #1 until they lost? If they won all their games wouldn't they still be #1? Are you suggesting that the pollsters were wrong earlier this year? Clearly the pollsters wouldn't do something silly like base that on previous success.

Have you seen who they have played? Like 8 top 25 teams and Iowa. That's 8 teams better than anybody on SHSUs schedule until UCA......and I'm a guy who want NDSU to NOT be in Fargo in the playoffs. Jesus...

McNeese72
November 7th, 2016, 02:44 PM

They can pass pretty well when they need to. UCA is probably the most physical team we have played this season. They wear you down both defensively and offensively (with that running game with the 6 headed monster at running back).
If McNeese, with our anemic rushing game, can put up the rushing numbers we put up against Sam Houston, I know UCA will probably be able to run against Sam. And the UCA QB is not too shabby. Check out his QB rating.

UCA is probably the closest we have to a MVC power game type team in the Southland. I am not saying that UCA is going to win but they will have a better chance than most people are giving them credit for having. The game will be very interesting game.

All I am is saying is that the Sam fans better be more worried about winning that game first before they worry about what seeding they get in the playoffs.

Doc

McNeese72
November 7th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Or they could play good defense. McNeese used that 3 rush BS NDSU tried with EWU. Gotta hit Briscoe early and often.

They play good defense, both run and pass. They are the only team to hold Tabary to under 200 passing this season.

Doc

Bison56
November 7th, 2016, 02:56 PM

http://shirtshovel.com/products/movies/thebiglebowski/element-434.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj08OmFxJfQAhWMLSYKHUlZCYgQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fshirtshovel.com%2Fmovies-thebiglebowski-element.shtml&psig=AFQjCNE_F5Z9BaUMt8CVS1q51LBtTGYpeQ&ust=1478638537524419)

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 02:57 PM
They can pass pretty well when they need to. UCA is probably the most physical team we have played this season. They wear you down both defensively and offensively (with that running game with the 6 headed monster at running back).
If McNeese, with our anemic rushing game, can put up the rushing numbers we put up against Sam Houston, I know UCA will probably be able to run against Sam. And the UCA QB is not too shabby. Check out his QB rating.

UCA is probably the closest we have to a MVC power game type team in the Southland. I am not saying that UCA is going to win but they will have a better chance than most people are giving them credit for having. The game will be very interesting game.

All I am is saying is that the Sam fans better be more worried about winning that game first before they worry about what seeding they get in the playoffs.

Doc

We better not be looking past any game including this week vs. the demons. Last game in Turpin didn't end well.

McNeese72
November 7th, 2016, 02:59 PM
We better not be looking past any game including this week vs. the demons. Last game in Turpin didn't end well.

You should be able to handle the Demons easily. They have pretty much mailed it in already.

Doc

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Oh really? That's all? Now I REALLY hope we play them. :D

But you're 100% spot on. That's how we demolished them last year. Take away the run and don't give them time to throw the deep ball and they are instantly up **** creek in a barbed wire canoe with a rusty teaspoon for a paddle.

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Oh really? That's all? Now I REALLY hope we play them. :D

But you're 100% spot on. That's how we demolished them last year. Take away the run and don't give them time to throw the deep ball and they are instantly up **** creek in a barbed wire canoe with a rusty teaspoon for a paddle.

Our team will love that, even better if its in Frisco.

clawman
November 7th, 2016, 03:25 PM
While I may not agree with them, it's not like they pulled names out of a hat.

Of course I didn't think that, I was thinking spin the bottle!

KPSUL
November 7th, 2016, 03:27 PM

I have to admit, this is a great strategy, start a thread with an unsupportable statement, and then change the subject xbowx !

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 03:29 PM
I have to admit, this is a great strategy, start a thread with an unsupportable statement, and then change the subject xbowx !

Well I didn't start the thread.

Sam_Kats
November 7th, 2016, 03:44 PM
OH NO.........IF THE FANS ARE LOOKING PAST A GAME, WE'RE SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
November 7th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Our team will love that, even better if its in Frisco.

After last years playoff game SHSU can talk 0 crap to Jacksonville State.... I mean really? I thought they were going to press rape charges after what took place on that field.

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 04:36 PM
After last years playoff game SHSU can talk 0 crap to Jacksonville State.... I mean really? I thought they were going to press rape charges after what took place on that field.

It will be our revenge game as last year's was theirs.

Bison56
November 7th, 2016, 04:37 PM
It will be our revenge game as last year's was theirs.

You guys taking turns?

Sammy94
November 7th, 2016, 04:41 PM
You guys taking turns?

I have a feeling they will be on the other side of the bracket with the bison so it may not happen this year but maybe so.

superman7515
November 7th, 2016, 05:50 PM

A half-dozen posts and you're on here debating the playoffs and impugning our poll?

http://i.imgur.com/rSIjcXv.gif

Glad to see The Decemberists are showing up early this year.

TheRevSFA
November 7th, 2016, 05:58 PM
How about Sam goes undefeated and we see how the rest of the teams pan about before we start talking seeding

Sam could completely pull a keeler and lose to NW State Saturday. I doubt it happens, but just looking at previous years (Lamar, CSU-Pueblo)

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 06:01 PM
How about Sam goes undefeated and we see how the rest of the teams pan about before we start talking seeding

Sam could completely pull a keeler and lose to NW State Saturday. I doubt it happens, but just looking at previous years (Lamar, CSU-Pueblo)

Holy **** would it get quiet fast around here if that happened.

caribbeanhen
November 7th, 2016, 06:28 PM

Keeler's answer to that problem was about 5 more talented transfers, KC is smart enough to know what wins games..... and he's always been good at getting it

7yearkat
November 7th, 2016, 06:40 PM
A half-dozen posts and you're on here debating the playoffs and impugning our poll?

http://i.imgur.com/rSIjcXv.gif

Glad to see The Decemberists are showing up early this year.

Listen, I'm not sure how many times you have to post on AGS in order to be in the "cool kids club", but here we go.

I love my Bearkats and think they're a better team than we have had in previous years. We have traded blows with JSU and gotten our asses handed to us by NDSU more times than I'd like to admit. I went all the way to Fargo, a place that isn't exactly easy to get to, to witness one of those beat downs (had a great time at the tailgate with some of the Bison faithful). Traveled to JSU both years as well. So to call me a "Novemberist" or even a "Decemberist" doesn't fit my definition.

Truth is, the majority of the folks on here don't think that football exist outside of the MVFC. There simply isn't enough SHSU talk to make it worth my time. Polls have changed that, so here I am.

Here's my point, we, like SOME of the teams you boys love, have a history of performing in the post season. Pollsters thought highly of us coming into this season and we've given them no reason to feel otherwise. However, to suggest that we should be the Western Michigan of the FCS is comical.

Just win baby!

caribbeanhen
November 7th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Listen, I'm not sure how many times you have to post on AGS in order to be in the "cool kids club", but here we go.

I love my Bearkats and think they're a better team than we have had in previous years. We have traded blows with JSU and gotten our asses handed to us by NDSU more times than I'd like to admit. I went all the way to Fargo, a place that isn't exactly easy to get to, to witness one of those beat downs (had a great time at the tailgate with some of the Bison faithful). Traveled to JSU both years as well. So to call me a "Novemberist" or even a "Decemberist" doesn't fit my definition.

Truth is, the majority of the folks on here don't think that football exist outside of the MVFC. There simply isn't enough SHSU talk to make it worth my time. Polls have changed that, so here I am.

Here's my point, we, like SOME of the teams you boys love, have a history of performing in the post season. Pollsters thought highly of us coming into this season and we've given them no reason to feel otherwise. However, to suggest that we should be the Western Michigan of the FCS is comical.

Just win baby!

actually, I thought this was a Sam Houston board. Sammy has always been well represented here, or is it there 7 posters just talk a lot..

beerkat
November 7th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Holy **** would it get quiet fast around here if that happened.

It wouldn't be that quiet. You and the other MVFC windbags would make a lot of racket racing to see who could suck each other's dicks first in celebration of the loss.

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2016, 07:10 PM
It wouldn't be that quiet. You and the other MVFC windbags would make a lot of racket racing to see who could suck each other's dicks first in celebration of the loss.

Are you #13 for the novembrists? I ask since over all the bitching and complaining, the SHSU fans are acting like their 2011 and 2012 selves all over again, and we all remember how that went.

beerkat
November 7th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Are you #13 for the novembrists? I ask since over all the bitching and complaining, the SHSU fans are acting like their 2011 and 2012 selves all over again, and we all remember how that went.

Jul 2005 vs. Dec 2014. You be the judge.

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Jul 2005 vs. Dec 2014. You be the judge.

132 VS 1746 I will let you be the judge. Anyone can disappear and then reappear when their team is doing good. I however have stayed through the losses and those that know me on this board, know I am far from it.

beerkat
November 7th, 2016, 07:46 PM
https://pajamasmed.hs.llnwd.net/e12/instapundit/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/churchlady.png

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 07:50 PM
https://pajamasmed.hs.llnwd.net/e12/instapundit/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/churchlady.png

Rob what's the official scoreboard look like?

milleniumkat
November 7th, 2016, 08:00 PM
yes they sure could be 3 or 4....record isnt the only thing they will look at, but this committee has already shown their incompetence

What would show them as competent?

"You Can't run with #81!"

milleniumkat
November 7th, 2016, 08:02 PM

Dewey

Because McNeese wasn't setting records and dominating on this level.

milleniumkat
November 7th, 2016, 08:04 PM

This damn guy right here gets it!!! Go Griz!!

milleniumkat
November 7th, 2016, 08:05 PM
you might be at the root of a lot of the angst coming out of the great mid-west with this

Bison Want two things: 1. Hard regular season games, 2. Easy Playoff games.

milleniumkat
November 7th, 2016, 08:11 PM
The bottom line is this:

SHSU has played a lot of games away from Bowers this season and have won playoff games on the road.

If the committee makes us have to travel later in the playoffs, we will respect their decision as we are men. We will go where they say, and play who we play.

If we win out, we will finally get a week off to rest, heal up and prepare for the teams we may face.

It is what it is, this is football, you don't get everything you want like a bunch of spoiled brats.

You get up, put your pants and boots on, drink your coffee, do a line of blow, and do your damn job.

eat em up Kats!!

beerkat
November 7th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Rob what's the official scoreboard look like?

Just wait a month, you will be able to join up with the rest of the Bizon cuckholds from the MVFC.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Hey MK, you know you can quote multiple things in one post, right? It's helps keep the clutter down. Thanks. xthumbsupx

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Just wait a month, you will be able to join up with the rest of the Bizon cuckholds from the MVFC.

My my you are a sensitive one aren't you.

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2016, 08:17 PM

I gave my reason as to why I am not a Novembrist and I know Thumper can back me on that since we have discussions at least 1x a week about FCS football and MVFC football. So what is yours to prove that you are not just another pussykat Novembrist?

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I gave my reason as to why I am not a Novembrist and I know Thumper can back me on that since we have discussions at least 1x a week about FCS football and MVFC football. So what is yours to prove that you are not just another pussykat Novembrist?

Kingpin is 100% a Novermberist.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2016, 08:24 PM

Who is Kingpin?

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Who is Kingpin?

Who is?

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Who is?

Yes.

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Yes.

Absolutely.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Absolutely.

Are you sure?

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Are you sure?

Do I have any lifelines left?

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2016, 08:48 PM

I knew I could always count on you

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 08:51 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Wj4lK.gif

xlolx

Bearkat90
November 7th, 2016, 09:02 PM
I guess I am Novembrist or whatever because I had not really heard of this board until lately
The great thing is it all gets settled on the field in FCS

milleniumkat
November 7th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Hey MK, you know you can quote multiple things in one post, right? It's helps keep the clutter down. Thanks. xthumbsupx

Do i strike you as a guy that cares about that?

No_Skill
November 7th, 2016, 09:04 PM

I had a good chuckle as I walked out of the stadium in Frisco and passed all those torn up "Undefeated" signs.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Do I have any lifelines left?

You still have 'Ask the Audience' left.

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2016, 09:16 PM
I had a good chuckle as I walked out of the stadium in Frisco and passed all those torn up "Undefeated" signs.

That alone was worth the trip. My buddy and I walked across the parking lot to the Subway and the entire time we kept laughing our asses off over some of those signs. Or hearing "SAM HOUSTON...SUCKS". I always knew that Southern Speed would help them out.

http://i.imgur.com/Wj4lK.gif

xlolx

Funny thing is I could see you re-enacting this perfectly at Rooters where the "divider" is for the bar.

superman7515
November 7th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Listen, I'm not sure how many times you have to post on AGS in order to be in the "cool kids club"...

http://i.imgur.com/sXr8UMT.gif

BisonFan02
November 7th, 2016, 09:37 PM

That was your first mistake...... xlolx

BisonFan02
November 7th, 2016, 09:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sXr8UMT.gif

I'd say about tree fiddy. xlolx

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2016, 09:40 PM
That was your first mistake...... xlolx

After all Thumper and I have been through, I thought we were making progress.

At least I can trust you to bail me out on a Par 5, and pretty much every hole after that, and have POD Knows McNeese it hard.

Bearkat90
November 7th, 2016, 09:51 PM

As if NDSU did not have signs there in support of their team

No_Skill
November 7th, 2016, 09:55 PM
As if NDSU did not have signs there in support of their team

Absolutely no issue with the signs. The chuckle was for tearing them up.

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 10:17 PM
You still have 'Ask the Audience' left.
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/That-Sounds-Good-Ill-Have-That-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

Funny thing is I could see you re-enacting this perfectly at Rooters where the "divider" is for the bar.

There is a 75% chance I have already done that.

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2016, 10:19 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/That-Sounds-Good-Ill-Have-That-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

There is a 75% chance I have already done that.

And the other 25% would be?

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 10:22 PM
And the other 25% would be?

That I didn't do that yet?

BisonFan02
November 7th, 2016, 10:23 PM
That I didn't do that yet?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/I-dont-believe-you.gif

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 10:25 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/I-dont-believe-you.gif

Well, yeah I prolly did, but there's a small chance I haven't done that move. Yet. Really small.

BisonFan02
November 7th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Well, yeah I prolly did, but there's a small chance I haven't done that move. Yet. Really small.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/2966133/no-marbles-o.gif

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2016, 10:52 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BisonFan02 again.

- - - Updated - - -

So less than 25% then?

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2016, 11:12 PM

Survey says....

https://media0.giphy.com/media/QKgbu8FcVVBbW/giphy.gif

superman7515
November 7th, 2016, 11:19 PM

Survey says....

https://media0.giphy.com/media/QKgbu8FcVVBbW/giphy.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/thats-a-penis.gif

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2016, 11:23 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/thats-a-penis.gif

http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/old-spice-guy-head-nod.gif

BisonFan02
November 8th, 2016, 12:17 AM
http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/old-spice-guy-head-nod.gif

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Chocolate_9449cf_135764.gif

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 06:30 AM

However...

At the end of it all...

So beating the AGS bullies at their own game makes a guy a jerk?

Read three a couple pages of this thread alone and explain the garbage these Hate Trolls spew out on nearly every SHSU open thread. They literally go out of their way. So ask me if I honestly care how you view me.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Placing labels again eh? Sorry we ruined your Mid West Suck Fest.

Sam_Kats
November 8th, 2016, 06:42 AM
This sucks

katstrapper
November 8th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Any discussion about where SHSU should be ranked after going undefeated has to assume that the other top 4 or 5 teams all win out. Given those assumptions, SHSU belongs no higher than 3rd, and maybe 4th or 5th; and I expect that's what we'd see on the AGS poll. There is just too wide a disparity between the SOS of NDSU or EWU and SHSU to consider SHSU ranked or seeded over them. After seeing how the remaining games go, I might also take a hard look before ranking them ahead of JMU or The Citadel. The fact is we just don't have evidence to know how good SHSU. They could be a playoff finalist, or lose their first playoff game, who could tell from their 2016 schedule and results?

Last I checked, the AGS poll doesn't mean squat. The only reason it is out there is for many on this forum to sit around and argue about who should be ranked where. Other than that, its a worthless poll.

Just about everyone's argument on here about why SHSU should not be ranked or seeded in top 2 is just because of the SOS. If there is any program around that has an argument over who should be ranked where it would be NDSU. They have earned that right the last 5 years and until someone beats them in the National Championship, they are the current Champions. Everyone else can make their case for their team.

That being said, here is my take... The players don't make the schedule. They go play the teams that are put before them. And this year, they have taken care of business to this point .

* Is the Southland weak this year? Yes it is. The conference scheduling sucks with 9 games, the last two teams (UIW, HBU) brought into the conference suck and should not have been allowed. There were much better options. The commissioner and the conference as a whole have done a terrible job putting this together. However, Jax St schedule ranks lower than SHSU and the OVC is not much better.

* SHSU lost an FBS game this year so they had to scramble. Additionally, the Tx Southern game was actually supposed to be a bye week, but they picked up the game to be able to add another D1 game to the schedule.

* When SHSU went undefeated in 2011, these same discussions were being had on this forum. "SHSU played a weak schedule" , " New Mexico wasn't even a good FBS win" "They don't deserve to be #1 seed". So since SHSU always has a weak schedule in the Southland, lets look at what they have done in the playoffs since this run began in 2011... (Keep in mind SHSU plays a weak schedule)

2011 Playoffs.... Kats beat #22 Stony Brook, #7 Montana St , #5 Montana (Lost to NDSU in NC)

2012 Playoffs .... Kats beat #12 Cal Poly , #2 Montana St (on the road), #4 E. Washington (on the road), (Lost to NDSU in NC.)

2013 Playoffs .... Kats beat #22 S. Utah first round, Lost to SE La in second round.

2014 Playoffs (KC Keeler arrived) .. Kats beat SE La first round, #4 McNeese St (on the road), #3 Jax St (on the road), #5 Villanova (on the road) , Lost to #1 NDSU in semi-finals

2015 Playoffs .. Kats beat #16 S. Utah first round, #4 McNeese (on the road), Colgate, lost to #2 Jax St (semifinals)

Since 2011, SHSU is 56-19 vs FCS , 13-5 in the playoffs only behind NDSU, with 5 straight playoff appearances, 4 appearances in the semi-finals and 2 appearances in NC. Kats have taken care of business except for falling short in the semi-finals and National Championship games.

What makes them different than McNeese last year?

* Kats began season unanimous #2 in the polls. McNeese didn't.
* They have been ranked in top 5 all season. McNeese wasn't.

I don't understand all the hate on the site..... xsmhx Its funny, all the "slot voting" talk didn't start until SHSU moved into #1.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Just about everyone's argument on here about why SHSU should not be ranked or seeded in top 2 is just because of the SOS. If there is any program around that has an argument over who should be ranked where it would be NDSU. They have earned that right the last 5 years and until someone beats them in the National Championship, they are the current Champions. Everyone else can make their case for their team.

That being said, here is my take... The players don't make the schedule. They go play the teams that are put before them. And this year, they have taken care of business to this point .

Would you argue that Western Michigan should be ranked in the Top 4 of the FBS playoff rankings? Their players didn't make the schedule and they have taken care of business to this point right?

Sam_Kats
November 8th, 2016, 08:33 AM
I think the problem with that argument is that Western Michigan hasn't played for a national title at that level EVER, much less TWO of them in the last 5 years. They appear to be a one-hitter quitter & Sam has proven it belongs in the national title race each year, unless a lull happens. There is an OBVIOUS drop off @ the FBS level from the powers of Bama, LSU, Stanford, Texas A&M, Clemson vs the Boise States, Western Michigan's & University of Houstons. I'm sure there is the same drop off @ FCS level but you damn sure can't lump Sam Houston in the 2nd tier. You can TRY but you're not using actual facts or logic if you do.

NDSU, Sam, EWU, Montana, UNI, JMU, Jax St & I'm sure some others I'm leaving out ALL belong in the title race each & every year. Those are the "powers" and will continue until a combination of those teams aren't the usual LAST STANDING towards the end of the playoffs.

Listen, I agree that Sam shouldn't be where they are @ #1.....hated that we lost our FBS game & that we replaced it with a POS team, knowing how loaded this team was going to be & how down the Southland appeared to be with SFA, NWSt out of the picture & adding HBU & UIW. IMO it's just another knock on our incompetent AD who can't seem to capitalize on ANY momentum with our national success the last 6-7 years. But to see the folks on here voting the Kats #7-10 is quite laughable.

Fortunately for all the players, nothing we say or do on here matters...beauty of it all being settled on the field. Good day, sirs.

NDB
November 8th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I've thought about it and the original poster is right, SHSU should be 1 or 2. They've beaten who they've played.

Of course this would require Alabama or Clemson to lose too...

katstrapper
November 8th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Would you argue that Western Michigan should be ranked in the Top 4 of the FBS playoff rankings? Their players didn't make the schedule and they have taken care of business to this point right?

Western Michigan didn't start the season in the Top 10 nor did they start the season ranked.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Western Michigan didn't start the season in the Top 10 nor did they start the season ranked.

Nebraska didn't start the season ranked. They didn't start the season in the Top 10 yet they made it as high as as 6th when they were still undefeated. I think everyone could see that they hadn't played anyone yet and weren't deserving of that ranking right?

Why is it so wrong for people to point out that SHSU (while being a good football team) does not deserve to be ranked as high as they are since they haven't played anyone? And this late in the season last year should have no bearing on this season. Even in the computer ratings last year has no bearing on this year this late in the season.

JSUSoutherner
November 8th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Nebraska didn't start the season ranked. They didn't start the season in the Top 10 yet they made it as high as as 6th when they were still undefeated. I think everyone could see that they hadn't played anyone yet and weren't deserving of that ranking right?

Why is it so wrong for people to point out that SHSU (while being a good football team) does not deserve to be ranked as high as they are since they haven't played anyone? And this late in the season last year should have no bearing on this season. Even in the computer ratings last year has no bearing on this year this late in the season.
Oh are we comparing Sam Houston State to Nebraska?? Ohhh!

Nebraska played no one, went up in the rankings, then got waffle stomped by the first real team they played.

Nebraska 2016 = SHSU 2016

katstrapper
November 8th, 2016, 10:34 AM

Big difference between Big 10 and the MAC. And whats the history of W Michigan football vs Nebraska football?

There is nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious, but to say SHSU shouldnt be ranked so high just because of the schedule is crazy. Obviously pollsters look at more than just schedule. I have said it numerous times that these so called POWERHOUSES of FCS need to book some series with SHSU and settle it on field. Why hasn't/ doesn't UNI get in a home and home with SHSU?

FargoBison
November 8th, 2016, 10:42 AM
SHSU started ranked highly but I am not sure how that changes what other teams have done....We are still comparing resumes here and not just going by preseason expectations. The time for that to mean anything has long since past. Teams should be judged on what they have done at this point, it is hard to evaluate just where SHSU stands against elite competition.

If you told me NDSU was going to go 10-1 I would be thrilled, I'm guessing EWU fans would feel similarly. Both certainly exceeded my expectations if they reach that mark.

TheRevSFA
November 8th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Last I checked, the AGS poll doesn't mean squat. The only reason it is out there is for many on this forum to sit around and argue about who should be ranked where. Other than that, its a worthless poll.

* Is the Southland weak this year? Yes it is. The conference scheduling sucks with 9 games, the last two teams (UIW, HBU) brought into the conference suck and should not have been allowed. There were much better options. The commissioner and the conference as a whole have done a terrible job putting this together. However, Jax St schedule ranks lower than SHSU and the OVC is not much better.

* SHSU lost an FBS game this year so they had to scramble. Additionally, the Tx Southern game was actually supposed to be a bye week, but they picked up the game to be able to add another D1 game to the schedule.

* When SHSU went undefeated in 2011, these same discussions were being had on this forum. "SHSU played a weak schedule" , " New Mexico wasn't even a good FBS win" "They don't deserve to be #1 seed". So since SHSU always has a weak schedule in the Southland, lets look at what they have done in the playoffs since this run began in 2011... (Keep in mind SHSU plays a weak schedule)

2011 Playoffs.... Kats beat #22 Stony Brook, #7 Montana St , #5 Montana (Lost to NDSU in NC)

2012 Playoffs .... Kats beat #12 Cal Poly , #2 Montana St (on the road), #4 E. Washington (on the road), (Lost to NDSU in NC.)

2013 Playoffs .... Kats beat #22 S. Utah first round, Lost to SE La in second round.

2014 Playoffs (KC Keeler arrived) .. Kats beat SE La first round, #4 McNeese St (on the road), #3 Jax St (on the road), #5 Villanova (on the road) , Lost to #1 NDSU in semi-finals

2015 Playoffs .. Kats beat #16 S. Utah first round, #4 McNeese (on the road), Colgate, lost to #2 Jax St (semifinals)

Since 2011, SHSU is 56-19 vs FCS , 13-5 in the playoffs only behind NDSU, with 5 straight playoff appearances, 4 appearances in the semi-finals and 2 appearances in NC. Kats have taken care of business except for falling short in the semi-finals and National Championship games.

What makes them different than McNeese last year?

* Kats began season unanimous #2 in the polls. McNeese didn't.
* They have been ranked in top 5 all season. McNeese wasn't.

I don't understand all the hate on the site..... xsmhx Its funny, all the "slot voting" talk didn't start until SHSU moved into #1.

So, if we buy into history, Sam will go into the playoffs and get stomped by a team that the AGS site has ranked higher than them?

Mayville Bison
November 8th, 2016, 10:57 AM

So you don't like AGS poll because it's the only poll that doesn't slot vote?

My votes for Sammy this year starting with preseason have been 2,4,9,8,13,5,5,8,7,5,6. The more and more I've seen of Sammy obviously shows I don't see them at #2. I also obviously don't see them at #13 either. There are very few teams I've had this year that only moved up when a team ahead of them won and only moved down when they lost.

Is Sammy a good team? Absolutely! Are they the best in the country? I don't know because you haven't been tested. I'm not expecting a 56-0 every week when you are expected to win, but how do I know what you will do against a real team when you have been outscored in the second half by conference mates? You can say backup defense all you want, but if you have your starting QB in the fourth multiple times, I really doubt your entire starting defense has taken their pads off already.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Big difference between Big 10 and the MAC. And whats the history of W Michigan football vs Nebraska football?

There is nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious, but to say SHSU shouldnt be ranked so high just because of the schedule is crazy. Obviously pollsters look at more than just schedule. I have said it numerous times that these so called POWERHOUSES of FCS need to book some series with SHSU and settle it on field. Why hasn't/ doesn't UNI get in a home and home with SHSU?

My guess is SHSU doesn't answer our calls. We've played many other SLC schools. McNeese numerous times. SFA many times. NWSt., Nicholls. For some reason it has never been SHSU. And don't act like we are scared. Just look at some of our OOC games recently and upcoming.

grizband
November 8th, 2016, 11:45 AM
That shouldn't matter...nor should past years results.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sammy94
November 8th, 2016, 11:54 AM
That shouldn't matter...nor should past years results.

Shouldn't but it does. Neither candidate should be president either but that is going to happen.

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2016, 12:32 PM
This really shouldn't be much of a debate, IMO. You're really just looking at victory quality. I don't have a vote, but from a RESUME perspective (which is how I vote), I'd have the following teams ahead of Sam Houston State.

Eastern Washington (quality wins over Washington State, UNI, Northern Arizona, Montana and Cal Poly)
James Madison (undefeated in FCS play, wins over Richmond, Maine and New Hampshire)
North Dakota State (Numerous big wins, including YSU, UNI, EWU, IOWA, Chuck South, illinois State)
Jacksonville State (undefeated in FCS play, wins over Coastal AND Liberty non-conference, plus decentish win over EIU)
The Citadel (undefeated, with wins over Samford, Wofford and Chattanooga)
UCA (FBS win, smoked McNeese, only loss to a good Samford team)

So at best I could see them as 7th in the country by resume and that ignores Richmond (who has a quality, impressive win over Virginia and who shut Villanova out 23-0), South Dakota State, Villanova and Chattanooga who could all make arguments that they have better resumes and wins. Quite frankly, what's the difference between North Carolina A&T's resume and Sam Houston State's? Oh, that's right, NC A&T also has an FBS win better than anything SHSU has. I could MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE see them being ranked as high as sixth if they beat UCA in the final week. Not sure how that resume is anything better than what's listed above. If they lose? They're probably high teens in terms of rank.

centennial
November 8th, 2016, 12:51 PM
This really shouldn't be much of a debate, IMO. You're really just looking at victory quality. I don't have a vote, but from a RESUME perspective (which is how I vote), I'd have the following teams ahead of Sam Houston State.

Eastern Washington (quality wins over Washington State, UNI, Northern Arizona, Montana and Cal Poly)
James Madison (undefeated in FCS play, wins over Richmond, Maine and New Hampshire)
North Dakota State (Numerous big wins, including YSU, UNI, EWU, IOWA, Chuck South, illinois State)
Jacksonville State (undefeated in FCS play, wins over Coastal AND Liberty non-conference, plus decentish win over EIU)
The Citadel (undefeated, with wins over Samford, Wofford and Chattanooga)
UCA (FBS win, smoked McNeese, only loss to a good Samford team)

So at best I could see them as 7th in the country by resume and that ignores Richmond (who has a quality, impressive win over Virginia and who shut Villanova out 23-0), South Dakota State, Villanova and Chattanooga who could all make arguments that they have better resumes and wins. Quite frankly, what's the difference between North Carolina A&T's resume and Sam Houston State's? Oh, that's right, NC A&T also has an FBS win better than anything SHSU has. I could MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE see them being ranked as high as sixth if they beat UCA in the final week. Not sure how that resume is anything better than what's listed above. If they lose? They're probably high teens in terms of rank.

Get out of here with using any logic. SHSU is the best team in the FCS. They should also be rated in the AP top 25.

TheKingpin28
November 8th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Get out of here with using any logic. SHSU is the best team in the FCS. They should also be rated in the AP top 25.

#WeWantBama

Bisonator
November 8th, 2016, 01:07 PM
What makes no sense to me is why do they have SHSU #1 and The Citadel #5/6? If they are simply going by record then shouldn't they be 1/2? And if they aren't going simply by record WTF are they going by? Is there some rhyme or reason to the madness?xrotatehx

beerkat
November 8th, 2016, 01:26 PM
What makes no sense to me is why do they have SHSU #1 and The Citadel #5/6? If they are simply going by record then shouldn't they be 1/2? And if they aren't going simply by record WTF are they going by? Is there some rhyme or reason to the madness?xrotatehx

This may be a radical concept to some of you and the committee, but try watching the games on occasion. Looking at only Massey or Sagarin or whatever without actually watching the games is simple minded and flawed.

TheKingpin28
November 8th, 2016, 01:30 PM
This may be a radical concept to some of you and the committee, but try watching the games on occasion. Looking at only Massey or Sagarin or whatever without actually watching the games is simple minded and flawed.

I have and did you see how McNeese did against you and UCA did against them? If maybe you played competition that was equal to you and you were winning by that much, no one would doubt you, but until you play someone that is comparable (UCA) their is no reason to believe you are that strong.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2016, 01:50 PM

So I am supposed to look at a team that is giving up 27.3 points per game and think they have what it takes to win it all? Especially looking at recency and knowing that teams that have great defenses are more likely to advance in the playoffs than teams with great offenses? Best offense in FCS? No doubt, but you may need that D to step it up if you want to be contenders.

BisonTru
November 8th, 2016, 01:50 PM

Here's another radical concept. Try watching games outside of SHSU. We all get that you guys have a good team, and no one is hating on you guys. However, there are other really impressive teams outside of Texas.

grizband
November 8th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Watching the games, without considering the opponent is also simple minded and flawed.

Montana beat Sacramento State and Mississippi Valley State, both by 60 point margins. The MVSU hand was probably as dominant as one team can be over their opponent. Both of these games proved nothing, as both teams are ranked in the bottom of the country.

beerkat
November 8th, 2016, 01:53 PM
I have and did you see how McNeese did against you and UCA did against them? If maybe you played competition that was equal to you and you were winning by that much, no one would doubt you, but until you play someone that is comparable (UCA) their is no reason to believe you are that strong.

Did you see how SFA, Lamar, and Abilene Christian did against us and how UCA did against them? We can play this game all day but it doesn’t matter to you what SHSU does, you will find a way crap all over it and spin it.

SHSU beats UCA by 40 means that UCA was overrated. SHSU beats UCA by 20 means that SHSU still hasn’t played anybody “tough”. SHSU beats UCA by 1 means that SHSU was massively overrated. SHSU loses by any score to UCA means that SHSU was a fraud and everybody knew it the whole time.

Take it a few steps further. SHSU wins a playoff game, it was just a cupcake opponent. They win 2 playoff games, 2 cupcakes. Win 3 playoff games, 3 cupcakes. Win the championship, 3 cupcakes in playoffs + soft regular season got them a bogus seed that was too high + the Bison were too beat up after the oh so tough MVFC schedule that is the second toughest conference in the country only behind the SEC.

Keep moving those goalposts.

McNeese75
November 8th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Comparing the McNeese games against these two is apples and oranges. This game will hinge on the UCA DL. If they can get to Briscoe things will get dicey for the Kats. If they can't then it will be a track meet for the Bears to try and keep up.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

beerkat
November 8th, 2016, 01:59 PM
So I am supposed to look at a team that is giving up 27.3 points per game and think they have what it takes to win it all? Especially looking at recency and knowing that teams that have great defenses are more likely to advance in the playoffs than teams with great offenses? Best offense in FCS? No doubt, but you may need that D to step it up if you want to be contenders.

If all you are looking at is the average points against per game then I can’t really help you. Yes, recent history shows that teams with great defenses are more likely to advance in the playoffs, but we have been told over and over again that recent history of SHSU in the playoffs doesn’t matter because we have played a soft schedule so far this year.

beerkat
November 8th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Here's another radical concept. Try watching games outside of SHSU. We all get that you guys have a good team, and no one is hating on you guys. However, there are other really impressive teams outside of Texas.

Absolutely there are. Top 4 teams are JSU, EWU, NDSU, and SHSU and the order in which you rank them is interchangeable to me. I haven’t seen the Citadel play one single down this year, so they could be in that discussion as well but for me to say definitively one way or the other would be intellectually dishonest.

Bisonator
November 8th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Why would people want to watch you beat up on the weak sisters of the poor? I watched your game against McNeese and both defenses looked like ****. Didn't make your offense look overly impressive IMO.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2016, 02:08 PM
You'll also find that human eyes see what they want to see. In someone thinks SHSU has a bad defense, chance are when they watch a game is they'll "see" all the mistakes the SHSU defense makes and ignore the good plays. If someone thinks SHSU is clearly one of the top 2 teams in the country when they watch their games they'll "see" all the great plays they're making on both sides of the ball and glaze over the mistakes.

The eye test is just as flawed as, if not moreso than, relying on box scores and rankings.

Bisonator
November 8th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Still doesn't answer my question about The Citadel though. They have the same shiny record as SHSU with a better resume. Why are they not #1 or 2?

beerkat
November 8th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Watching the games, without considering the opponent is also simple minded and flawed.

Montana beat Sacramento State and Mississippi Valley State, both by 60 point margins. The MVSU hand was probably as dominant as one team can be over their opponent. Both of these games proved nothing, as both teams are ranked in the bottom of the country.

Considering the opponent and matchup is part of watching the games.

beerkat
November 8th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Why would people want to watch you beat up on the weak sisters of the poor? I watched your game against McNeese and both defenses looked like ****. Didn't make your offense look overly impressive IMO.

To be an informed poll voter? Or in the case of the committee members to be informed of their decision they make regarding playoff seeding? Or you know, some people just like to watch football. Whatever works for you. Some people like to watch tennis. I don't.

grizband
November 8th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Considering the opponent and matchup is part of watching the games.
True...and considering most of the opponents that SHSU has played this year, it's difficult to get a read on how dominant their offense really is. However, I won't deny they are probably a top five team shoo fat this season.

beerkat
November 8th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Still doesn't answer my question about The Citadel though. They have the same shiny record as SHSU with a better resume. Why are they not #1 or 2?

Fair or not, they haven’t done enough to overcome their preseason ranking in the minds of the voters.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2016, 02:33 PM
The funny part is if SHSU runs through the playoffs and wins it all I can almost guarantee everyone here will give them the credit they deserve.

SHSU fans just think we pick on them all the time. I can see where they would think that. I am sure if my team were in the same position with a weak schedule and undefeated I would be defending them too. It is just a shame none of them see our position where maybe just maybe we don't quite know how good SHSU is this year yet. Impressive offense. Sketchy defense. No quality wins yet. It is up in the air.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2016, 02:40 PM
If all you are looking at is the average points against per game then I can’t really help you. Yes, recent history shows that teams with great defenses are more likely to advance in the playoffs, but we have been told over and over again that recent history of SHSU in the playoffs doesn’t matter because we have played a soft schedule so far this year.

93rd in Total Defense
55th in Scoring Defense
51st in Turnover Margin
51st in Rushing Defense
112th in Passing Defense

So yes arguably looking at average points given up makes your defense look better...

Thumper 76
November 8th, 2016, 03:00 PM

SHSU fans just think we pick on them all the time. I can see where they would think that. I am sure if my team were in the same position with a weak schedule and undefeated I would be defending them too. It is just a shame none of them see our position where maybe just maybe we don't quite know how good SHSU is this year yet. Impressive offense. Sketchy defense. No quality wins yet. It is up in the air.

Half the reason SHSU fans think that they are so hated on is they jumped on here and made it a daily fight, and the other half is just the nature of where they are going to be seeded. There's always going to be a lot of discussion about the top seeds when there are a bunch of teams that can make an argument for it, and SHSU happens to have the most debatable results. So there's going to be a ton of discussion, and a lot of it against them from the teams in the "power" conferences.

The funniest thing is all the SHSU fans picked up on the anti MVFC sentiment from the other conferences and have translated it into that meaning only MVFC fans are talking about their schedule. Never mind that the only team even in the discussion about a top seed is NDSU and most people are talking more about teams other than NDSU in relation to SHSU. Yeah there's a lot of MVFC fans talking about it but I don't see a huge push for MVFC teams to be ranked higher than they are. If anything most MVFC fans are harsher on those teams, especially if you peek into a MVFC thread.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2016, 03:09 PM
If anything most MVFC fans are harsher on those teams, especially if you peek into a MVFC thread.
Yep. It is kind of comical to see how critical some NDSU fans are of the team yet if they're not ranked in the top 2 in the FCS it's a travesty. It's the "I can talk **** about my kid, but don't you dare talk **** about my kid" dynamic.

Sammy94
November 8th, 2016, 03:14 PM
The funny part is if SHSU runs through the playoffs and wins it all I can almost guarantee everyone here will give them the credit they deserve.

Sounds like a EWU team everyone is really high on. I know they beat an FBS team and lost to NDSU that makes them much better I'm sure.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a EWU team everyone is really high on. I know they beat an FBS team and lost to NDSU that makes them much better I'm sure.

Well I mean a win over Washington State is so much better than any win SHSU can possibly get. However, you are correct. If you look back I am not one tooting the horn of EWU as a championship contender. Again I would look to teams with defenses. JSU, NDSU, and even The Citadel or Chattanooga. But again most people are comparing resumes. So yes while SHSU may have done the same thing with EWU's schedule we will never know for sure. They do seem very similar, but one team has proven they can beat high quality opponents. The other hasn't. Right or wrong people do care about that.

Bisonator
November 8th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Well I don't know how much better but yes at this point it's what we have to go by and that FBS win and NDSU loss is better then anything on SHSU's schedule to date.;)

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Does it make them better than SHSU? Maybe... maybe not. Does it make them more deserving of a high seed than SHSU? Absolutely.

Sammy94
November 8th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Well I mean a win over Washington State is so much better than any win SHSU can possibly get. However, you are correct. If you look back I am not one tooting the horn of EWU as a championship contender. Again I would look to teams with defenses. JSU, NDSU, and even The Citadel or Chattanooga. But again most people are comparing resumes. So yes while SHSU may have done the same thing with EWU's schedule we will never know for sure. They do seem very similar, but one team has proven they can beat high quality opponents. The other hasn't. Right or wrong people do care about that.

The people on here do, the folks at STATS or the committee must not be worried about it.

dudeitsaid
November 8th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Oh are we comparing Sam Houston State to Nebraska?? Ohhh!

Nebraska played no one, went up in the rankings, then got waffle stomped by the first real team they played.

Nebraska 2016 = SHSU 2016

I personally don't think SHSU is going to get waffle stomped, or outmatched by the majority of top teams in the playoff field, once it's announced. I think they are clearly a good team, and playing a weak schedule may ultimately actually benefit them. They may enter the playoffs fresher and healthier than several other teams. And they have a coaching staff that knows how to take a team deep into the postseason.

Additionally, I agree with many of Katstrapper's points about history playing a part, so the Western Michigan comparison lose something in that comparison. It isn't "all about this season," IMO, in the sense that the longevity of the coaching staff, culture, players, and past success does play a part. Don't believe me, look at how often a first time playoff team implodes under the pressure. Having been there means something.

And seriously, if NDSU and SHSU were switched, and the Bison were the ones undefeated in the Southland, how many here honestly would be questioning their ranking as one or two?

I am certain SHSU is a great team. They will likely win some playoff games this year.

For me, the bigger issue isn't the things I've mentioned. The issue is that, when determining who gets to play on their home field (a tremendous benefit to the team and fanbase), it should be based on what that team has done on the field during this regular season. Is it unfair to the Bearkats that NMSU pulled out? Sure! But should that give you guys a pass considering that other teams have actually played the tough games. What they did on the field this season should be what sets the seeding. Not historical performance.

Yes, it will all be settled in the playoffs. But I think it is completely reasonable for fans of teams that have played the gauntlet and performed to be frustrated at the thought of traveling to play an away game after doing more on the field to deserve to stay home. I have to imagine the Bearkat fans would feel the same way.

dudeitsaid
November 8th, 2016, 03:58 PM

It's funny to me to hear this brought up. Do you really think everything becomes clear by actually watching the game? Heck, watching UM play MVSU made the Griz look like they were the best team in the country. Who you play has a big impact on how effective you look on the field.

BTW, yes, I've seen SHSU play this season, as well as most of the top 10, and certainly didn't think they were heads and shoulders above other teams I've seen. But then again, I don't have Clucker's eye test ability, so maybe that's my problem.

clawman
November 8th, 2016, 05:35 PM
SHSU can not do anything about their conference schedule but when they scheduled Panhandle State and Texas Southern as non conference foes they knew they were not going to be top 10 teams.
Now they whine.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 05:57 PM

Funny how you leave out that said team scores TWICE as much as they give up? Just curious how many teams can say that?

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Let me put it this way to to Rob.

Scoring Offense
SHSU - 54.3
EWU - 44.8
JSU - 31.2
NDSU - 26.7

Scoring Defense
NDSU - 16.7
JSU - 17.4
SHSU- 27.3
EWU - 30.2

Differential:
SHSU - 27points
EWU - 14.6
NDSU - 10(That's right...10)
JSU - 15.8

So when you consider that football is a game decided by outscoring your opponent, and SHSU is nearly doubling rhe opponents scoring capabilities...it kind of puts things in perspective.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2016, 06:30 PM

Scoring Offense
SHSU - 54.3
EWU - 44.8
JSU - 31.2
NDSU - 26.7

Scoring Defense
NDSU - 16.7
JSU - 17.4
SHSU- 27.3
EWU - 30.2

Differential:
SHSU - 27points
EWU - 14.6
JSU - 15.8

So when you consider that football is a game decided by outscoring your opponent, and SHSU is nearly doubling rhe opponents scoring capabilities...it kind of puts things in perspective.

Mark it down! November 8th, 2016 at 6:12PM CT. This may be the first time in weeks a Sam fan has actually come up with an objective measure to back up their team. I thought the only arguments possible were "cuz the committee/STATS voters/Coaches said we were" and "cuz we've been really good over the last 5 years so we get 'preseason points'".

Of course having said that you know the counterpoint to your argument and it's really beating a dead horse to bring it up again so I'm not even going to bother at this point.

But seriously, I am a fan of your post in general.

TheKingpin28
November 8th, 2016, 06:40 PM

Scoring Offense
SHSU - 54.3
EWU - 44.8
JSU - 31.2
NDSU - 26.7

Scoring Defense
NDSU - 16.7
JSU - 17.4
SHSU- 27.3
EWU - 30.2

Differential:
SHSU - 27points
EWU - 14.6
JSU - 15.8

55 North Dakota State AA = 73.45
76 Northern Iowa AA = 66.00
90 South Dakota State AA = 63.45
98 Youngstown State AA = 61.69
120 Illinois State AA = 56.54
126 Western Illinois AA = 55.70
145 South Dakota AA = 51.92
147 Southern Illinois AA = 50.61
159 Indiana State AA = 46.75
173 Missouri State AA = 45.54

104 Central Arkansas AA = 60.79
106 Sam Houston State AA = 59.22
176 McNeese State AA = 45.17
188 SE Louisiana AA = 41.66
189 Nicholls State AA = 41.64
197 Lamar AA = 39.49
200 Stephen F. Austin AA = 37.79
217 Abilene Christian AA = 31.55
218 Northwestern State AA = 31.53
231 Incarnate Word AA = 26.23
234 Houston Baptist AA = 24.44

So based off of this, NDSU's worst team would be the 3rd best in the SLC and Missery State is historically bad as well as ISUb. Point being, had you played a Valley schedule and not just your wet tissue paper schedule in the SLC, you would most likely be anywhere from 4-4 to 6-2 which is not bad, but do not go around thumping your chest when a team UNI murdered 61-7 (Missery State) would be 3rd in the SLC.

To think there are 4 teams that are "supposedly" better than you so take it for what it is worthy but when your schedule is as strong as RG3's knees, it is going to eventually bend and break.

Source: http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Arguably 1 of the 2 best statistically analysis for all of D1 football and respected by ALL major outlets who follow national D1 football.

BisonTru
November 8th, 2016, 06:41 PM

Scoring Offense
SHSU - 54.3
EWU - 44.8
JSU - 31.2
NDSU - 26.7

Scoring Defense
NDSU - 16.7
JSU - 17.4
SHSU- 27.3
EWU - 30.2

Differential:
SHSU - 27points
EWU - 14.6
JSU - 15.8

Well, hell, where is San Diego? 35.9 ppg, giving up 11.6. Netting that out they are clearly the number 2 team in the country. Thank god these Sammy folks have came and shown us the errs of our ways.

dudeitsaid
November 8th, 2016, 06:48 PM

Scoring Offense
SHSU - 54.3
EWU - 44.8
JSU - 31.2
NDSU - 26.7

Scoring Defense
NDSU - 16.7
JSU - 17.4
SHSU- 27.3
EWU - 30.2

Differential:
SHSU - 27points
EWU - 14.6
JSU - 15.8

That would be very impressive if all of the teams listed played the same teams. Once again, not saying SHSU isn't outstanding. But I truly believe that several of the top teams would've produced the same results. Certainly, it's hard to think SHSU would've been anywhere near that point differential against Iowa or Wazzu.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 06:55 PM
That would be very impressive if all of the teams listed played the same teams. Once again, not saying SHSU isn't outstanding. But I truly believe that several of the top teams would've produced the same results. Certainly, it's hard to think SHSU would've been anywhere near that point differential against Iowa or Wazzu.

We don't play them so its not worth discussing things that don't happen.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Well, hell, where is San Diego? 35.9 ppg, giving up 11.6. Netting that out they are clearly the number 2 team in the country. Thank god these Sammy folks have came and shown us the errs of our ways.

^^^See what i mean? I stated my case, sarcasm within 2 posts. This is what these furs want to do, so don't ask me to back off.

dudeitsaid
November 8th, 2016, 06:58 PM
We don't play them so its not worth discussing things that don't happen.

I hear you, but it's almost impossible to try to discuss without using somewhat of the transitive property. MOV is definitely not the be all and end all because we don't play the same teams. But I stand by my believe that you would not have beaten either team by 27 points.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Mark it down! November 8th, 2016 at 6:12PM CT. This may be the first time in weeks a Sam fan has actually come up with an objective measure to back up their team. I thought the only arguments possible were "cuz the committee/STATS voters/Coaches said we were" and "cuz we've been really good over the last 5 years so we get 'preseason points'".

Of course having said that you know the counterpoint to your argument and it's really beating a dead horse to bring it up again so I'm not even going to bother at this point.

But seriously, I am a fan of your post in general.

Appreciate it. And i don't disagree with those points of SOS. It's just that it gets old when that's really all some people have to say. It's circular.
Example:
1. Rankings are garbage.
2. SOS Matters
3. Use Rankings when discussing SOS as a supporting document
4. Rinse and repeat.

So basically, if every attempt at discussion is always going to lead right back to that page after page, what's the point of this website?

But i got no problems with you either Butters...(I totally know your real identity bro!"

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 07:01 PM
I hear you, but it's almost impossible to try to discuss without using somewhat of the transitive property. MOV is definitely not the be all and end all because we don't play the same teams. But I stand by my believe that you would not have beaten either team by 27 points.

Well no ****....said respectfully of course. You didn't beat them by your 30 point average either.

NDSU didn't beat Iowa by its 10 point average either.

So a couple of games in a schedule of 10-11 doesn't make an entire season imho. but i'm just one guy.

Thumper 76
November 8th, 2016, 07:04 PM

That, the type of offense the team runs, coach, etc all play into that as well. An air raid team is going to put up obnoxious point spreads a lot of times, especially against weaker competition. I don't mean weaker in SOS cause I'm tired of talking about that. What I mean is teams weaker than them. An offense like an NDSU is not going to have as gaudy of a point spread just as a product of the offense they run. A run oriented team isn't going to put up the same points as an air raid system, if everything is equal. That means every point they have scored on them is going to mean exponentially more in that equation than for an air raid team. Also any close game they have is going to have a much more adverse affect. Plus you figure in how those teams are going to respond once they get a lead in the second half (stop me when it gets boring). An air raid team is still built to score, and they don't have the same effect when they get up. A grind it out team can really throttle down a lot more to run out the clock than the air raid can. So a ten point lead to them is a much bigger lead than for an air raid team. Just is what it is. That and if you have ever read an NDSU thread going into the second half with a lead they are notorious for going into conservative mode, and it's very rare for them to run up the score on a team. Look at the UND game last year, it shows you the coaching staffs mentality. However, they have been in a ton of close games and it has had nothing to do with their offensive scheme.

Excuse me, I just made an argument sticking up for NDSU, I have to go vomit quick.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 07:05 PM
And like ive said, stats and SOS matter only so much. Ive seen statistically dominant teams get their arses handed to them in a one game situation my entire life...usually the team i pull for. lolollll. But it's funny cuz it's true.

I'm not saying we can't be beaten or that we would beat an FBS team by the same margin...that's not the point.

The point is, don't ask me to bend over to take it because people don't like that i support my team. That's not a realistic expectation for any FAN ...which is short for "Fanatic". That's all.

The main point of my post is to address the issue of "a team giving up 27 points COULD win it all"

Well, despite that 27, we are the only team still DOUBLING its opponents. Which is exactly what people would expect any of the other teams in the top 5 to do with that schedule. So....well...we have held up our end thus far. So to say we should be left out of the discussion is just dumb.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 07:10 PM
That, the type of offense the team runs, coach, etc all play into that as well. An air raid team is going to put up obnoxious point spreads a lot of times, especially against weaker competition. I don't mean weaker in SOS cause I'm tired of talking about that. What I mean is teams weaker than them. An offense like an NDSU is not going to have as gaudy of a point spread just as a product of the offense they run. A run oriented team isn't going to put up the same points as an air raid system, if everything is equal. That means every point they have scored on them is going to mean exponentially more in that equation than for an air raid team. Also any close game they have is going to have a much more adverse affect. Plus you figure in how those teams are going to respond once they get a lead in the second half (stop me when it gets boring). An air raid team is still built to score, and they don't have the same effect when they get up. A grind it out team can really throttle down a lot more to run out the clock than the air raid can. So a ten point lead to them is a much bigger lead than for an air raid team. Just is what it is. That and if you have ever read an NDSU thread going into the second half with a lead they are notorious for going into conservative mode, and it's very rare for them to run up the score on a team. Look at the UND game last year, it shows you the coaching staffs mentality. However, they have been in a ton of close games and it has had nothing to do with their offensive scheme.

Excuse me, I just made an argument sticking up for NDSU, I have to go vomit quick.

I get that. And With our RB stable and OL, we could very easily play ground and pound and would score less, Keep the D rested and off the field as much. Which would swing the scoring average of the d

as it is, this is our style. There are many types and ways to play winning football. This is how we roll. Can't change it until Keeler leaves.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 07:12 PM
"W"'a are all that counts. We will find out in two weeks how for real shsu is. And then no matter what, we will be in the playoffs regardless. And will get to put our team against those arwounf the nation.

I think UCA is a good team and may we'll be better than us. They may very well win. But that doesn't mean we suck because we lost to a good team. We can and will compete with the nation.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 07:22 PM
And Thumper,

Your post also adds to my previous points about our offense.

You said that NDSU plays ground and pound which leads to lower scoring games. I agree.

Shsu plays air raid and everyone knows that style of offense tends to lead to defenses being on the field more and hence leads to higher scores by the opponents. So if you are going to take the stance you did, you have to accept BOTH sides of that dynamic. So saying our defense sucks simply by looking ONLY at points allowed is an overly simplistic view of the overall team dynamic.

Redbird007
November 8th, 2016, 07:45 PM
"W"'a are all that counts. We will find out in two weeks how for real shsu is. And then no matter what, we will be in the playoffs regardless. And will get to put our team against those arwounf the nation.

I think UCA is a good team and may we'll be better than us. They may very well win. But that doesn't mean we suck because we lost to a good team. We can and will compete with the nation.

I ask this question generically>> Has a team that loses to the only good team it plays during an entire season proven that they deserve to be in the playoffs? Certainly yes if they win the conference autobid. The autobid is there to give a weak conference the benefit of the doubt by automatically taking the conference winner. However if that team does not win the conference, and ends up the 2nd place team, has that team proven they deserve to be the in the playoffs?

This could be the scenario for SHSU if they lose to UCA.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I ask this question generically>> Has a team that loses to the only good team it plays during an entire season proven that they deserve to be in the playoffs? Certainly yes if they win the conference autobid. The autobid is there to give a weak conference the benefit of the doubt by automatically taking the conference winner. However if that team does not win the conference, and ends up the 2nd place team, has that team proven they deserve to be the in the playoffs?

Yes...it happened last year. Shsu lost to Lamar and McNeese and still made the playoffs and still made the Semis.

The SLC sucked last year and the year before guys...y'all keep acting like it's a new story ...it ain't.

SLC will have two teams in the playoffs just like every year. If JSu didn't play Coastal, the OVC schedule is just as ****ty as the SLC. How many teams other than JSU from OVC will be in? Btw, they beat COastal by 1 bro. ...congrats.

Thumper 76
November 8th, 2016, 07:59 PM
And Thumper,

Your post also adds to my previous points about our offense.

You said that NDSU plays ground and pound which leads to lower scoring games. I agree.

Shsu plays air raid and everyone knows that style of offense tends to lead to defenses being on the field more and hence leads to higher scores by the opponents. So if you are going to take the stance you did, you have to accept BOTH sides of that dynamic. So saying our defense sucks simply by looking ONLY at points allowed is an overly simplistic view of the overall team dynamic.

TBH I think if SHSU plays NDSU the Bison are in serious trouble. They don't match up well with SHSU just like they didn't match up well with SDSU and EWU. The real interesting games would be with a JMU, EWU, or SDSU. We would find out in a fat hurry whether or not that SHSU defense was for real. Those teams don't have great defenses, but they have shown to be good enough.

milleniumkat
November 8th, 2016, 08:03 PM
TBH I think if SHSU plays NDSU the Bison are in serious trouble. They don't match up well with SHSU just like they didn't match up well with SDSU and EWU. The real interesting games would be with a JMU, EWU, or SDSU. We would find out in a fat hurry whether or not that SHSU defense was for real. Those teams don't have great defenses, but they have shown to be good enough.

Not saying shsu defense is "For Real". Just don't think they are as bad man for man as the stats indicate. I think a lot of the stats and scores are skewed by style of offense that you have already plead in the case of NDSU, makes a difference. We agree so let's accept that small win amongst us? lolol. It's all good man. i only Cheer against Bison when they play of or UNI. I want my kats to be the one to take down Goliath. You guys will win out and ZERO teams will want to play you.

Thumper 76
November 8th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Not saying shsu defense is "For Real". Just don't think they are as bad man for man as the stats indicate. I think a lot of the stats and scores are skewed by style of offense that you have already plead in the case of NDSU, makes a difference. We agree so let's accept that small win amongst us? lolol. It's all good man. i only Cheer against Bison when they play of or UNI. I want my kats to be the one to take down Goliath. You guys will win out and ZERO teams will want to play you.

**** I cheer against them damn near every game. I'm a Jacks fan (we've been over this sir) and I would love to see a SDSU SHSU matchup.

dudeitsaid
November 8th, 2016, 08:50 PM

In that case, I think SHSU would be in the playoffs, and deservedly so.

beerkat
November 8th, 2016, 09:38 PM
55 North Dakota State AA = 73.45
76 Northern Iowa AA = 66.00
90 South Dakota State AA = 63.45
98 Youngstown State AA = 61.69
120 Illinois State AA = 56.54
126 Western Illinois AA = 55.70
145 South Dakota AA = 51.92
147 Southern Illinois AA = 50.61
159 Indiana State AA = 46.75
173 Missouri State AA = 45.54

104 Central Arkansas AA = 60.79
106 Sam Houston State AA = 59.22
176 McNeese State AA = 45.17
188 SE Louisiana AA = 41.66
189 Nicholls State AA = 41.64
197 Lamar AA = 39.49
200 Stephen F. Austin AA = 37.79
217 Abilene Christian AA = 31.55
218 Northwestern State AA = 31.53
231 Incarnate Word AA = 26.23
234 Houston Baptist AA = 24.44

So based off of this, NDSU's worst team would be the 3rd best in the SLC and Missery State is historically bad as well as ISUb. Point being, had you played a Valley schedule and not just your wet tissue paper schedule in the SLC, you would most likely be anywhere from 4-4 to 6-2 which is not bad, but do not go around thumping your chest when a team UNI murdered 61-7 (Missery State) would be 3rd in the SLC.

To think there are 4 teams that are "supposedly" better than you so take it for what it is worthy but when your schedule is as strong as RG3's knees, it is going to eventually bend and break.

Source: http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Arguably 1 of the 2 best statistically analysis for all of D1 football and respected by ALL major outlets who follow national D1 football.

Also based off of Sagarin, Iowa would beat NDSU and Washington St. would beat EWU, yet somehow NDSU and EWU magically won when they played on the field. How can that be?

Sammy94
November 9th, 2016, 12:17 AM
SHSU can not do anything about their conference schedule but when they scheduled Panhandle State and Texas Southern as non conference foes they knew they were not going to be top 10 teams.
Now they whine.

They whine meaning everyone else? According to the committee its not about who we scheduled. The whiners are those that need proof by playing other "good" teams.

milleniumkat
November 9th, 2016, 06:30 AM
**** I cheer against them damn near every game. I'm a Jacks fan (we've been over this sir) and I would love to see a SDSU SHSU matchup.

It's your damn yellow helmet Avatar!! It's killing me bro! lol

milleniumkat
November 9th, 2016, 06:32 AM
I am officially instituting a "Cease Fire" from the artist formerly known as MK. No arguing today from me. Today i'm a happy man.

Thumper 76
November 9th, 2016, 08:59 AM
It's your damn yellow helmet Avatar!! It's killing me bro! lol

Yeah, you can blame a fella named IBleedYellow for that and another guy named TransAmBison for the picture. Didn't think that bet would take 6 years to bite me in the ass lol

TransAmBison
November 9th, 2016, 09:17 AM
This thread is funny. I watched SHSU's game on Saturday. I am thoroughly convinced SHSU will win some in the playoffs but if they make it to the semis they will get curb stomped. Doesn't matter if it is JSU, NDSU, or EWU. Curb stomped. They are not physical. They will have some 3 and outs and the route will be on. If it is NDSU, the offense will slowly eat up yardage and the clock. The Bison defense will rest while the SHSU defense will tire and give up. Against JSU they will just get outcoached. Against EWU they will just match up and play the same game but against a superior team. SHSU has a good team...but they are not a championship team.

Sammy94
November 9th, 2016, 09:20 AM
This thread is funny. I watched SHSU's game on Saturday. I am thoroughly convinced SHSU will win some in the playoffs but if they make it to the semis they will get curb stomped. Doesn't matter if it is JSU, NDSU, or EWU. Curb stomped. They are not physical. They will have some 3 and outs and the route will be on. If it is NDSU, the offense will slowly eat up yardage and the clock. The Bison defense will rest while the SHSU defense will tire and give up. Against JSU they will just get outcoached. Against EWU they will just match up and play the same game but against a superior team. SHSU has a good team...but they are not a championship team.

Thanks for adding comedy.

TransAmBison
November 9th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Thanks for adding comedy.I like SHSU and their fans...I wish them well (except against the Bison of course), but I just don't think they are good enough. Their 2011 team was the real deal...not one of their teams has come close to that since. When they develop a defense things will change, but until then they will be an also-ran.

Daytripper
November 9th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I like SHSU and their fans...I wish them well (except against the Bison of course), but I just don't think they are good enough. Their 2011 team was the real deal...not one of their teams has come close to that since. When they develop a defense things will change, but until then they will be an also-ran.

Good to hear from you TransAm, it seems like it has been a while. I agree with you about the defense. But the offense is so much better than previous years that they may be able to pick up the slack...at least that is what I am hoping for..xnodx

TransAmBison
November 9th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Good to hear from you TransAm, it seems like it has been a while. I agree with you about the defense. But the offense is so much better than previous years that they may be able to pick up the slack...at least that is what I am hoping for..xnodxThat's why they play the game...

Sammy94
November 9th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I like SHSU and their fans...I wish them well (except against the Bison of course), but I just don't think they are good enough. Their 2011 team was the real deal...not one of their teams has come close to that since. When they develop a defense things will change, but until then they will be an also-ran.

But EWU is superior because they have a defense?

TransAmBison
November 9th, 2016, 11:27 AM
But EWU is superior because they have a defense?They do not have a great defense by any means, but I do think they have improved. They just played Cal Poly and weathered the storm. They give up points, but nobody can stop their offense...and they have played better competition than SHSU. When the Bison played them we could not get pressure on their qb...just couldn't do it. That has never been a problem for us with Sam Houston.

deez_na
November 9th, 2016, 11:31 AM
with their schedule, they don't deserve a top 3 seed.

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2016, 11:38 AM
The fundamental problem as a number of folks have said is really NOT whether Sam Houston State is the best, most talented team in the FCS. They might be. They might not be. The fact that they haven't lost and the fact that they are grossly outscoring their opponents (combined with talent that we know has performed in the playoffs) make them a formidable foe for literally ANYONE in the playoffs, EWU and NDSU included. I don't think anyone disputes that. I don't think anyone thinks they're an "overrated" team from a talent perspective.

To me, rankings and seeding is determine by resume, not how good your team is. Even if I think Chattanooga is a more talented and superior team than The Citadel, I am not, by any imagination, ranking Chattanooga ahead of the Citadel or seeding them ahead of the Citadel because The Citadel's resume is better. It's the same reason why no one is seriously considering teams from the MEAC -- sure, their points scored/points allowed stats are great but they're the MEAC and those teams aren't very good. I think if you're arguing that SHSU is one of the one or two best, most talented teams in the country -- you can make that argument. If you're arguing that their resume (and thus, seeding) is in the top 2 of the country, I'm just not sure what you're seeing.

Sammy94
November 9th, 2016, 11:52 AM
They do not have a great defense by any means, but I do think they have improved. They just played Cal Poly and weathered the storm. They give up points, but nobody can stop their offense...and they have played better competition than SHSU. When the Bison played them we could not get pressure on their qb...just couldn't do it. That has never been a problem for us with Sam Houston.

Sounds like another team I know. We haven't played the Bison in 2 years. So judging EWU this season to a 2014 Sam team is a bit far fetched especially since this 2016 Sam team is one of the top 10 teams in sacks allowed. I know we are playing high school teams every week.

TransAmBison
November 9th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Sounds like another team I know. We haven't played the Bison in 2 years. So judging EWU this season to a 2014 Sam team is a bit far fetched especially since this 2016 Sam team is one of the top 10 teams in sacks allowed. I know we are playing high school teams every week.Pass happy teams can give us trouble..EWU and SDSU gave us fits. The key was we could not get to their qb no matter how hard we tried. After watching your game on Saturday I do not see that being a problem. I think we can get to them. And no, we didn't play you last year because of the out-coaching done by JSU.

It will be a fun playoffs...there are a lot of decent teams out there and not too many really standing out. My guess right now is it is EWU's championship to lose...

thebootfitter
November 9th, 2016, 12:07 PM
None of the polls mean squat when it comes to the committee and their seeding decisions. Even the committee's first stab at it means squat if you listen to what the committee chair said after the fact. It should be enlightening when the next one comes out. Based on the chair's comments, I'll be surprised if it stays the same. But if it does... they'll likely have to offer good justification for it, because it flies in the face of the committee's earlier promises that "strength of schedule matters."

FargoBison
November 9th, 2016, 12:53 PM
EWU's defense seems improved, especially lately. They still aren't exactly amazing but they don't need to be NDSU or JSU defensively.

I watched the SHSU game last Saturday, their defense was probably the worst I've a contender I've seen thus far. Tacking was bad, I think they would struggle a lot with a physical offense.

thebootfitter
November 9th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Committee Chair with some interesting comments today....

"In my mind, it's simply a poll we did this week," Hutchinson said last Friday. "It isn't how we would seed it today or a week from now or two weeks from now. It's not lost on me that the final poll will be the seeding. Lots can happen in the last weeks. All of the measurables change. It takes time for that to normalize. Until there is a full slate, it's tough to pinpoint that. It's sure fun for everyone to spend time talking about it, but it doesn't matter until it's over.

Hutchinson said the rankings aren't a lock even if teams win out their remaining games.
"The season's not over," Hutchinson said. "We have three more weeks to improve those kinds of things. Our conversations don't dwell on that. We will continue to have in-depth conversations as the weeks unfold. Knowing that it's public now, we'll be spending more time this week to move in the direction we need to move. It's important for us to be able to justify every team we have slotted."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/4154837-fcs-playoff-committee-chair-defends-rankings
Quoted from a different thread, but very telling here too. Echoes my comments two posts above that indicate the final seedings very well may change from the first weak attempt.

Thumper 76
November 9th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Pass happy teams can give us trouble..EWU and SDSU gave us fits. The key was we could not get to their qb no matter how hard we tried. After watching your game on Saturday I do not see that being a problem. I think we can get to them. And no, we didn't play you last year because of the out-coaching done by JSU.

It will be a fun playoffs...there are a lot of decent teams out there and not too many really standing out. My guess right now is it is EWU's championship to lose...

I would add to this. NDSU struggles with pass happy teams who have really mobile qbs, which Brisco really isn't.

F'N Hawks
November 9th, 2016, 02:28 PM
I would add to this. NDSU struggles with pass happy teams who have really mobile qbs, which Brisco really isn't.

So.....essentially......UND is F'd. Great.

milleniumkat
November 9th, 2016, 03:23 PM
They do not have a great defense by any means, but I do think they have improved. They just played Cal Poly and weathered the storm. They give up points, but nobody can stop their offense...and they have played better competition than SHSU. When the Bison played them we could not get pressure on their qb...just couldn't do it. That has never been a problem for us with Sam Houston.

Who has given up fewer sacks, SHSU, EWU, NDSU or JSU?

TransAmBison
November 9th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Who has given up fewer sacks, SHSU, EWU, NDSU or JSU?

"You Can't run with #81!"I don't know. I do know EWU, NDSU, and JSU have faced teams teams capable of sacking their opponent. Has SHSU? :)

milleniumkat
November 9th, 2016, 03:33 PM
I don't know. I do know EWU, NDSU, and JSU have faced teams teams capable of sacking their opponent. Has SHSU? :)

Yep. Faced some good DLines. One of fewest Sacks in country.

TheRevSFA
November 9th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Yep. Faced some good DLines. One of fewest Sacks in country.

Really? Sam didn't face a top 50 team statistically until they faced Texas Southern.....

milleniumkat
November 9th, 2016, 03:53 PM
don't care about stats. McNeese, SFA, ACU and Nicholls have good Dlines i don't care what their records are. I know good football players when i see them.

Bearkat 41
November 9th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Shsu defense had a terrible game last Saturday against McNeese. I have said I won't make any more excuses for their performances so I won't waste that time. I feel just fine that they are good enough to play with any of the top teams in the playoff field though given what our offense can do. But since it's all based on playing and naia schedule it won't mean a thing. We are likely to give up 50-60 points to a top 25 team. Thank goodness we get to prep ourselves against UCA next week.

Sammy94
November 9th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Really? Sam didn't face a top 50 team statistically until they faced Texas Southern.....

Really? I didn't see any difference. Maybe I will when we face UCA, I'm ready for a game not to be over in the 2nd quarter.

Katfan
November 9th, 2016, 04:39 PM
don't care about stats. McNeese, SFA, ACU and Nicholls have good Dlines i don't care what their records are. I know good football players when i see them.

I don't care what anyone says that felon from McNeese was a load and the last chance guys from Nichols aren't bad either, but UCA will be a test. Interesting point to me anyway, our o-line has traditionally been one of the smallest in the playoffs. This year at 318 avg, I don't think so.

thebootfitter
November 9th, 2016, 05:06 PM
I don't care what anyone says that felon from McNeese was a load and the last chance guys from Nichols aren't bad either, but UCA will be a test. Interesting point to me anyway, our o-line has traditionally been one of the smallest in the playoffs. This year at 318 avg, I don't think so.
That's some big boys. Watanabe kind of ups the average, but still... That would rank among the top 5-10 in all of college football based on just weight. It would still be nice to see them against some better competition though.

milleniumkat
November 9th, 2016, 05:09 PM
That's some big boys. Watanabe kind of ups the average, but still... That would rank among the top 5-10 in all of college football based on just weight. It would still be nice to see them against some better competition though.

11/19 and beyond you will get your wish good man

Samalum'10
November 9th, 2016, 05:20 PM
11/19 and beyond you will get your wish good man

Unless we catch another big sky school...

Katfan
November 9th, 2016, 05:39 PM
I agree, I'm just saying I know in talking to fritz when he was here, he said we had to get bigger in the trenches to compete with the better teams.

kalm
November 9th, 2016, 08:41 PM

That's a great example. Take away EWU's challenging OOC and our ppg drops to 25 including less than 20 over the past 3 games. Two of those were against #5 and #6 offenses in FCS.

IOW's the parts you neglected are the level of competition and the fact we're are getting stronger on D.

I don't blame you.

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 07:32 AM
That's a great example. Take away EWU's challenging OOC and our ppg drops to 25 including less than 20 over the past 3 games. Two of those were against #5 and #6 offenses in FCS.

IOW's the parts you neglected are the level of competition and the fact we're are getting stronger on D.

I don't blame you.

Or playing weaker offenses. SHSU 2-1 vs EWU in five years. Nothing to see here. Kyle Padron lost his job because of us. McGruber will too.

UNIFanSince1983
November 10th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Or playing weaker offenses. SHSU 2-1 vs EWU in five years. Nothing to see here. Kyle Padron lost his job because of us. McGruber will too.

We were 6-0 vs EWU up until this year. Want to know how much those 6 wins meant to our game this year? 0

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 08:23 AM
We were 6-0 vs EWU up until this year. Want to know how much those 6 wins meant to our game this year? 0

I wasn't talking to you, UNI never wins games that matter. Sorry i forgot only you AGS Illuminati are allowed to refer to games from the past and still claim credibility.

UNIFanSince1983
November 10th, 2016, 08:39 AM
I wasn't talking to you, UNI never wins games that matter. Sorry i forgot only you AGS Illuminati are allowed to refer to games from the past and still claim credibility.

Well apparently SHSU doesn't win games that matter either. How many championships does SHSU have? Let me guess the same number at UNI right?

Sammy94
November 10th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Well apparently SHSU doesn't win games that matter either. How many championships does SHSU have? Let me guess the same number at UNI right?

If the Championship game is the game that matters, there are a bunch of teams that can't win the game that matters.

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 08:50 AM

As soon as you make a semi this decade i'll be impressed. My second team has not lived up to its end of the bargain.

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 08:50 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161110/1eaf0a83604b5a498e8877610bb0ad57.jpg

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 08:55 AM
If the Championship game is the game that matters, there are a bunch of teams that can't win the game that matters.

Exactly. lolol

TransAmBison
November 10th, 2016, 09:27 AM
If you're not first, you're last. :D

kalm
November 10th, 2016, 09:40 AM

Which has nothing to do with this year's seeding. Keep stretchin'...

nevadagriz
November 10th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Really? I didn't see any difference. Maybe I will when we face UCA, I'm ready for a game not to be over in the 2nd quarter.

Do you see this as a potential problem in the playoffs when Sammy finds itself in a close game late or is behind early?
You have no clue how your team will respond, I prefer my team has some scare along the way.

UNIFanSince1983
November 10th, 2016, 11:39 AM

I mean in the end isn't the goal to win the championship? Then in reality that is the only game that REALLY matters.

Sammy94
November 10th, 2016, 11:42 AM
[/COLOR]

Do you see this as a potential problem in the playoffs when Sammy finds itself in a close game late or is behind early?
You have no clue how your team will respond, I prefer my team has some scare along the way.

I do, that is why I was glad McNeese made it a game in the 2nd half this last week. I am hoping that UCA scores first when we play them because we have yet to be behind.

Sammy94
November 10th, 2016, 11:44 AM
I mean in the end isn't the goal to win the championship? Then in reality that is the only game that REALLY matters.

I wasn't questioning your opinion but like I said there are a lot of teams that haven't won a game that matters.

thebootfitter
November 10th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I dunno... I'd say any game that gets you into the championship game also matters. Some just matter more.

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 12:11 PM
If you're not first, you're last. :D

hahahahahahah Yesssssss!

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Which has nothing to do with this year's seeding. Keep stretchin'...

Agreed. I'm not stretching. Just laughing. Cuz i enjoy in pointing out the circular hypocrisy that's goes on around this joint.

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 12:14 PM

If your a glass half empty guy then sure. But there are other games that matter for different reasons. Conference title games, big rivalries, clinch playoffs etc. You have to win those before you even get close to the championship

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 12:15 PM
I dunno... I'd say any game that gets you into the championship game also matters. Some just matter more.

EXACTLY! "Some matter more"

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 12:16 PM
What also matters is getting to a big game and either getting beat by the better team or choking it away. People remember heart as much as wins.

YoUDeeMan
November 10th, 2016, 01:21 PM

You mean the same kind of defense NDSU played against EWU and SDSU? xlolxxlolxxlolx

THAT kind of defense? xeyebrowx

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2016, 01:34 PM
You mean the same kind of defense NDSU played against EWU and SDSU? xlolxxlolxxlolx

The thing that murdered the Bison defense against those two teams was the mobility of the qb. I doubt Briscoe has the mobility to rush for over 100 yards on them to keep their d line in a much tougher assignment of staying in lanes to try to contain the qb instead of just being unleashed to rush the qb. The Bison D does fairly well against offenses that don't have the rushing threat of a qb like those two teams. I don't think SHSU is a good matchup for them with how beat up NDSU is on defense and weak at corner, but the SHSU offense isn't as bad for them as a SDSU or EWU.

YoUDeeMan
November 10th, 2016, 01:38 PM
So you don't like AGS poll because it's the only poll that doesn't slot vote?

My votes for Sammy this year starting with preseason have been 2,4,9,8,13,5,5,8,7,5,6. The more and more I've seen of Sammy obviously shows I don't see them at #2. I also obviously don't see them at #13 either. There are very few teams I've had this year that only moved up when a team ahead of them won and only moved down when they lost.

Is Sammy a good team? Absolutely! Are they the best in the country? I don't know because you haven't been tested. I'm not expecting a 56-0 every week when you are expected to win, but how do I know what you will do against a real team when you have been outscored in the second half by conference mates? You can say backup defense all you want, but if you have your starting QB in the fourth multiple times, I really doubt your entire starting defense has taken their pads off already.

Ahhh...this reality shows its face.

You don't know because you haven't watched the games.

You are one of the s0-called, self-proclaimed experts that rank a team, and argue about their ranking as though you have a clue, without having seen them play much.

Schedule, schedule, schedule...blah, blah, blah. Yet you don't watch their games. xlolx

Pathetic, but typical.

grizband
November 10th, 2016, 01:48 PM

You are one of the s0-called, self-proclaimed experts that rank a team, and argue about their ranking as though you have a clue, without having seen them play much.

Schedule, schedule, schedule...blah, blah, blah. Yet you don't watch their games. xlolx

Pathetic, but typical.
Honestly, do you think people voting in the Stats and Coaches polls have watched multiple games for each team?

FargoBison
November 10th, 2016, 01:55 PM
The thing that murdered the Bison defense against those two teams was the mobility of the qb. I doubt Briscoe has the mobility to rush for over 100 yards on them to keep their d line in a much tougher assignment of staying in lanes to try to contain the qb instead of just being unleashed to rush the qb. The Bison D does fairly well against offenses that don't have the rushing threat of a qb like those two teams. I don't think SHSU is a good matchup for them with how beat up NDSU is on defense and weak at corner, but the SHSU offense isn't as bad for them as a SDSU or EWU.

Offensively the thought of playing SHSU is very exciting. I doubt they would slow NDSU's running game at all, at least based on what I've seen. Their tackling last week against McNeese was terrible.

Defensively it would be tougher but the lack of a mobile QB will make it easier.

Mayville Bison
November 10th, 2016, 02:08 PM

Pathetic, but typical.

I've actually watched 4 SHSU games this year, thank you very much. I, like many SHSU fans, stopped watching at halftime as watching college players run track meets against middle schoolers is only entertaining for so long.

thebootfitter
November 10th, 2016, 03:03 PM

I dunno... NDSU held SDSU out of the endzone how many times? At least 2 or 3 pretty amazing goal line stands that I recall. In the end, it wasn't enough, but I don't think it would be fair to classify that as a sub-par defensive effort.

thebootfitter
November 10th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Welp!?!? Oh no! SHSU is still undefeated, but FELL TO #5???? Who saw that coming???

(Seriously... after the first rankings, who DID see that coming? I guess the committee followed through on their commitment to consider strength of schedule.)

UNIFanSince1983
November 10th, 2016, 03:51 PM
But on the bright side for SHSU their last game is also their toughest game. If they take care of bidness against UCA then they will make it back up a little probably to around 3.

Sammy94
November 10th, 2016, 04:51 PM
We could see another big shake up again next week, stay tuned.

Sammy94
November 10th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Will return to this thread, If indeed SHSU Goes Undefeated.......

Katfan
November 10th, 2016, 05:11 PM

Wasn't most of your qbs rushing yardage off designed runs vs scrambling? I didn't recall much pressure when he was in the pocket. If they use the same rushing scheme I don't see them getting enough pressure to slow down our O much, buts that's just my opinion. I think the bigger issue for us will be finding a 2nd half D against the Bison. Actually our games with them over the years have been very competitive for a half but they have typically worn us down in the second half.