PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Week 11 Predictions

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Well, coming down to the wire. In classic SDSU fashion I stumbled on a game I shouldn't have and Dewey has closed to within one. There is a massive log jam for fifth place. Second to last week, make it count, don't suck! xlolx

1) Thumper 76: 49
2) Dewey: 48
3) BisonFanInNWMN: 46
4) Gil Dolbie: 45
T5) The Yo Show: 44
T5) ST_Lawson: 44
T5) Paladin1aa: 44
T5) BisonTru: 44
T5) REALBird: 44
10) TwentySix: 43
T11) MR CHICKEN: 42
T11) Professor Chaos: 42
T11) Trumpster: 42
14) Mayville Bison: 41
T15) POD Knows: 40
T15) Yotes21: 40
17) m_miller: 39
18) X-Factor: 36
19) bonarae: 35
20) TheKingpin28: 34
T21) Bison56: 33
T21) EIU1999: 33
23) ysubigred: 24

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 11:22 AM
11am Southern Illinois at Youngstown State- ESPN3

12pm Missouri State at Illinois State- MVC/ESPN3

1pm Northern Iowa at Western Illinois-ESPN3

2pm South Dakota at South Dakota State-MidcoSN/ESPN3

2:30pm Indiana State at North Dakota State-NBC ND/ESPN3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
November 7th, 2016, 11:27 AM
YSU
ISUr
UNI
SDSU
NDSU

dewey
November 7th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Second to last week, make it count, don't suck! xlolx

Are you doing this for the playoffs too?

Well, coming down to the wire. In classic SDSU fashion I stumbled on a game I shouldn't have and Dewey has closed to within one.

I bet it comes down to USD-SDSU or UNI-SDSU game?

Dewey

Gil Dobie
November 7th, 2016, 11:47 AM

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Are you doing this for the playoffs too?

I bet it comes down to USD-SDSU or UNI-SDSU game?

Dewey

1) It depends if this ends in a tie. If the regular season isn't a tie I think I'll just restart a playoff edition so everyone gets to start over new.

2) Very likely xlolx

Bison56
November 7th, 2016, 11:55 AM
YSU
ISUr
UNI
SDSU
NDSU

ysubigred
November 7th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Southern Illinois at Youngstown State- 9-2 no OT's :D

Missouri State at Illinois State- 87-13

Northern Iowa at Western Illinois- 31-27 2 OT's

South Dakota at South Dakota State- 67-28

Indiana State at North Dakota State- 43-3

Trumpster
November 7th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Southern Illinois
Illinois State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
North Dakota State

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 01:03 PM
YSU

They better punch those TDs in that they missed against NDSU. SIU is still dangerous, especially against an offensively challenged team like YSU. If they get up a couple scores YSU is screwed IMHO.

ISUr

No way they drop this one, right?

UNI

I really want WIU to win this one, but it's classic UNI playoff desperation mode time.

SDSU

USeD is dangerous, but the games between the two haven't been all that close in Brookings and USeD hasn't been egos on the road. If SDSU comes out slow again it's a dogfight. If they come out swinging this ones over fast.

NDSU

Indy St is bad. Which is why this would make sense that somehow NDSU drops this game.

Mayville Bison
November 7th, 2016, 01:27 PM

underdawg
November 7th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Just to remind everyone picking SIU replace starter Josh Straughan (303 yards per game passing) with Soph back-up Sam Straub (6' 4", 235) who responded by garnering 407 total yards (339 passing/ 68 yards rushing)----guess Coach Hill is looking to 2017 already--but it really messed up USD's defensive game plan --Will Straub respond against a saltier YSU D? Stay tuned.

Well at least we now have one of the best Back-up QB's in FCS

ST_Lawson
November 7th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Just to remind everyone picking SIU replace starter Josh Straughan (303 yards per game passing) with Soph back-up Sam Straub (6' 4", 235) who responded by garnering 407 total yards (339 passing/ 68 yards rushing)----guess Coach Hill is looking to 2017 already--but it really messed up USD's defensive game plan --Will Straub respond against a saltier YSU D? Stay tuned.

Gonna have to challenge you on the "Best Backup QB in the FCS" front.

Trenton Norvell, starter for the last 3 years, #2 in the WIU record books for career yardage, completions, and TDs, and the only WIU QB in history to average over 200 passing yards per game throughout his entire career (216.4 ypg over 33 games, specifically). He also has the #5 best season for passing yards in WIU history and the #3 best season for TDs. His career yardage number puts him at 17th best in MVFC history, and if he'd played again this year and continued on his per game average, he'd have finished with 9,675 yards, behind only ISU's Matt Brown and NDSU's Brock Jenson for career yardage in the MVFC.

But...Sophomore Sean McGuire was a better fit for our new offense that Coach Fisher installed, and he beat out Norvell for the starting position. To Norvell's credit, he stuck around for his senior year to contribute however he was able to.

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2016, 03:01 PM

Trenton Norvell, starter for the last 3 years, #2 in the WIU record books for career yardage, completions, and TDs, and the only WIU QB in history to average over 200 passing yards per game throughout his entire career (216.4 ypg over 33 games, specifically). He also has the #5 best season for passing yards in WIU history and the #3 best season for TDs. His career yardage number puts him at 17th best in MVFC history, and if he'd played again this year and continued on his per game average, he'd have finished with 9,675 yards, behind only ISU's Matt Brown and NDSU's Brock Jenson for career yardage in the MVFC.

But...Sophomore Sean McGuire was a better fit for our new offense that Coach Fisher installed, and he beat out Norvell for the starting position. To Norvell's credit, he stuck around for his senior year to contribute however he was able to.

Don't forget Zach Lujan at SDSU. It's plausible that the SIU kid is the 3rd best backup in the conference.

ST_Lawson
November 7th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Don't forget Zach Lujan at SDSU. It's plausible that the SIU kid is the 3rd best backup in the conference.

Yup, very possible.

REALBird
November 7th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Southern Illinois - yeah I know I said I wouldn't pick them, but it's November. YSU is having trouble scoring, and I think SIU can win in a shootout.
Illinois State - it's just Missouri State and the Birds are rolling.
Western Illinois - The Necks are smarting from last week. UNI fighting for their playoff lives. WIU plays desperate and get the W.
South Dakota State - USD is coming back down to earth. Plus SDSU still holding out hope for a seed.
North Dakota State - Indiana State fans are wearing Larry Bird jerseys, football season is over.

ST_Lawson
November 7th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Not quite sold on WIU...

Ditto

underdawg
November 7th, 2016, 04:43 PM

Ha-ha! This board is something---You'll notice I said "one of the best" not the best as you said--he was projected to break the SIU school record--I feel sorry for him--he was invited already to play in an FCS all-star game and has had looks from NFL even when he was at D-2 Stillman

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2016, 04:47 PM

But the Salukis haven't won a road game yet. I'll be surprised if they pull this one out.

Dawgs
November 7th, 2016, 05:31 PM
test

ST_Lawson
November 7th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Ha-ha! This board is something---You'll notice I said "one of the best" not the best as you said--he was projected to break the SIU school record--I feel sorry for him--he was invited already to play in an FCS all-star game and has had looks from NFL even when he was at D-2 Stillman

You are right, my mistake. Missed the "one of..." part.

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Southern Illinois at Youngstown St - I think this one will be a pretty interesting game. Pelini alluded to "big changes on offense" in his postgame presser. Is that good or bad for YSU? Regardless, I think their defense carries them to the win.

Missouri St at Illinois St - It would be just like the 2016 Redbirds to lose this game. I couldn't bring myself to picking the upset though.

Northern Iowa at Western Illinois - This one is a toss up. I think UNI is playing better than WIU is of late. If Dunne plays that's big because WIU has an exploitable secondary.

South Dakota at South Dakota St - I think the Yotes hang tough all day in a high scoring game but the Jacks will have too many offensive weapons to hold down during crunch time.

Indiana St at North Dakota St - The Trees have lost their leaves early this year. Bison in a blowout.

POD Knows
November 7th, 2016, 07:03 PM

Yotes21
November 7th, 2016, 07:27 PM
YSU
ISU-r
WIU
SDSU
NDSU

Twentysix
November 7th, 2016, 07:46 PM

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Youngstown State
Illinois State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
North Dakota State

bonarae
November 7th, 2016, 10:07 PM

Paladin1aa
November 8th, 2016, 10:32 AM
YSU -- an upset won't surprise me
Ill. St. -- Birds should win
UNI -- the Necks are a disappointment
SDS -- in state rivalry. Bunnies roll
NDS -- Bison stomp the Trees.

X-Factor
November 8th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Youngstown State
Illinois State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
North Dakota State

REALBird
November 9th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Ditto

ST_Lawson at some point you have to figure out what kind of team you are and what you want to be. I think WIU squeaked through with enough close wins that eventually they would lose one. The Illinois State game was a trap game in every sense of the word. WIU's cardiac kids victory the week before. Playing your rival at home. Your rival with it's playoff lives hanging in the balance.

I think UNI is used to fighting for their playoff lives this time of year, and I'm picking WIU to right the ship. UNI's win last week looked good, but it was also against a team that was trending downward. I think this week tells you what WIU is really made of and helps right the ship. They'll send UNI fishing, and show they're capable of bouncing back after a tough loss.

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2016, 09:35 AM
ST_Lawson at some point you have to figure out what kind of team you are and what you want to be. I think WIU squeaked through with enough close wins that eventually they would lose one. The Illinois State game was a trap game in every sense of the word. WIU's cardiac kids victory the week before. Playing your rival at home. Your rival with it's playoff lives hanging in the balance.

I think UNI is used to fighting for their playoff lives this time of year, and I'm picking WIU to right the ship. UNI's win last week looked good, but it was also against a team that was trending downward. I think this week tells you what WIU is really made of and helps right the ship. They'll send UNI fishing, and show they're capable of bouncing back after a tough loss.

Yea, my confidence in my team has seriously dwindled. I knew that they couldn't keep putting themselves in the position to have to make a drive or a stop right at the end to win it. It was going to come back and bite them, and it did.

I do think that if there's one thing this team is good at, it's at bouncing back and fighting until the end of the game. I don't have a ton of confidence though. I think I've just kinda become numb to it (is this what UNI fans felt like for the first 2/3 of the season?). Nothing I can do will affect the outcome of the game, so I'll just sit and watch us win 1 or 2 to make the playoffs, or lose the last two and be out of it, having squandered a very promising first part of the season.

dewey
November 9th, 2016, 11:45 AM

Here are my predictions.
Youngstown State
Illinois State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
North Dakota State

Dewey

leatherneck177
November 9th, 2016, 01:10 PM
The Leathernecks are not a top 2 team in the conference, they are certainly a Top 4 team in my opinion. Top 4 in the MVFC translates well in the playoffs. Don't get so down on this team, three losses, NDSU, SDSU and ISUr. That is essentially one trip up. Yeah a few near misses, but they are W's. That is all that matters. Win this weekend against UNI and get back on track and ride some momentum into the playoffs. No reason to get down on a 7-4 or 8-3 season at all. Either way that should be good enough for the playoffs, which is the ultimate goal on an annual basis. The season is long, injuries happen (as we know on the D side of the ball) and teams ebb and flow....this team will answer the bell and make the playoffs.

Yea, my confidence in my team has seriously dwindled. I knew that they couldn't keep putting themselves in the position to have to make a drive or a stop right at the end to win it. It was going to come back and bite them, and it did.

I do think that if there's one thing this team is good at, it's at bouncing back and fighting until the end of the game. I don't have a ton of confidence though. I think I've just kinda become numb to it (is this what UNI fans felt like for the first 2/3 of the season?). Nothing I can do will affect the outcome of the game, so I'll just sit and watch us win 1 or 2 to make the playoffs, or lose the last two and be out of it, having squandered a very promising first part of the season.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 9th, 2016, 02:56 PM
YSU
Ill State
WIU
SDSU
NDSU

MR. CHICKEN
November 11th, 2016, 03:40 PM
YOUNGSTOWN STATE
ILLINOIS STATE
WESTERN ILLINOIS
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
NORTH DAKOTA STATE

The Yo Show
November 12th, 2016, 08:03 AM

ST_Lawson
November 12th, 2016, 08:36 AM
After some thought, I would like to change one of my picks if possible. I'd like to go with WIU over UNI instead of the other way around. My other picks remain the same.

YSU
ISUr
WIU
SDSU
NDSU

70MilesFromCanada
November 12th, 2016, 09:06 AM
I just want some upsets. Any upsets. Otherwise this board will die. xsmiley_wix

dewey
November 15th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Thumper where are you? Get this baby updated for week 12xthumbsupx

Dewey

BisonTru
November 15th, 2016, 02:01 PM

Dewey

I think he's waiting on my week 11 picks. Here they are. :)

TheKingpin28
November 15th, 2016, 03:36 PM

Dewey

I know he has important work obligations this week, but I'll send him a reminder.