PDA

View Full Version : Big South Pick'em and Power Rankings - Week 11

BigSouthFan
November 7th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Small slate for the Big South. Only 2 football games, both inner-conference. One, much bigger than the other..

Schedule

Charleston Southern @ Liberty - Liberty still somewhat of an unknown. Only played one really good football team and got trounced. GWU took Liberty to OT, and squeezed it out against CSU. I see CSU's loss as much needed. As long as they are somewhat healthy, I see CSU getting their act together and pulling this one off. Jamey Chadwell has had their number lately. BUCS by 7.

Presbyterian @ Kennesaw - This is a mix of a homer pick, and a mix of knowing emotions, especially those of "decent" football teams. KSU is 7-2, coming off of blowout of Clark Atlanta, albeit a very weak schedule, and they have themselves positioned for a possible tie of the Big South if they can beat CSU on the road NEXT week (granted, a CSU win at Liberty is needed for this scenario). I think they overlook PC and PC pulls the stunner out at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. BLUE HOSE by 3.

Power Rankings + Playoff Picture

1. Liberty (6-3) - We find out a lot about the Flames this weekend. Are they back to being a contender? The JSU games says no. This is the first good football team they would have faced (outside of Gardner-Webb which pushed them to OT) since JSU. I picked them to lose in a close one, I still think CSU may be the better and better coached football team, but you cannot snub a team that's undefeated in conference play from the top spot. They'll settle it on the field Saturday. Liberty wins and they are in the playoffs as the sole champion of the Big South.

2. Charleston Southern (5-3) - Even after the head to head loss to GWU, I still have them at 2nd, with a conversation for 1st based off resume. Let's be honest, GWU is not a bad loss. GWU could of easily beat Coastal, Liberty, and The Citadel this year. Personally, I think they needed this loss more than they needed a first round BYE, and I think Coach Chadwell uses his master motivational skills and they pull this one out in Lynchburg. After all, they have no choice but to win these last two. They need two wins and they are in the playoffs, winning the tiebreaker with Liberty for the AQ.

3. Gardner Webb (4-5) - Tough putting a 4-5 team over 7-2 Kennesaw, but the resume says it all. Big win at CSU, no chance for playoffs or Big South title. Hope they can find a way to squeak some more close ones out next year, they could really shake up the conference.

4. Kennesaw State (7-2) - Great record, terrible resume. Should handle PC this weekend, but there is a chance for a slip up which I picked. Small chance for share of Big South title, smaller chance for playoffs. Involves a CSU win at Liberty then a win @ CSU next weekend. Tall task ahead to share the title in it's second year of existence.

5. Monmouth (4-6) - Better than PC, but out of all contention.

6. Presbyterian (2-7) - Out in all facets. Tough season.

kdinva
November 7th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Liberty 33; Chuck South 30
Kenny St. 31; Presby 27

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Can Kennesaw State actually make it to the playoffs? I don't think so. Best they could hope for is a three-way tie with CSU, Liberty, and KSU. They could be co-champs, which is also a great achievement, but I don't know the tiebreaker rules.

In that three-way scenario, whew, I have no idea who would win the autobid. Liberty and Chuck South have some great resumes schedule-wise.

FlamingHot
November 7th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Can Kennesaw State actually make it to the playoffs? I don't think so. Best they could hope for is a three-way tie with CSU, Liberty, and KSU. They could be co-champs, which is also a great achievement, but I don't know the tiebreaker rules.

In that three-way scenario, whew, I have no idea who would win the autobid. Liberty and Chuck South have some great resumes schedule-wise.

There are only three scenarios for the autobid.
1. Liberty beats Charleston Southern. Liberty is the sole conference champion and would be the AQ.
2. Charleston Southern beats Liberty and Kennesaw St. CSU and Liberty are co-conference champions. CSU wins the autobid.
3. Charleston Southern beats Liberty. Kennesaw St. beats CSU. Liberty and KSU tie as the conference champions. Liberty owns the head-to-head and wins the autobd

knucklehead
November 7th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Liberty 28 CSU 24
KSU 31 PC 17

Libertine
November 7th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Can Kennesaw State actually make it to the playoffs?

Not through the autobid but technically KSU could have the longest of long shots at an at-large. Gardner-Webb beating CSU actually hurt Kennesaw's chances more than CSU's since it eliminated the possibility of a three-way tie.

Kennesaw is currently 7-2 but three of those wins are against D2 schools. If they beat Presby this week (they should) and CSU the week after (they could), that would get them to the six-D1-win mark and 9-2 overall. However, at that point, you're talking about KSU's best win being against a (best case) 6-win CSU team that would have lost two of their last three to unranked teams and finished third in the Big South. Also, one of Kennesaw's two losses was at home to ETSU to start the season.

Bucs2016
November 7th, 2016, 04:59 PM
I agree about saying the CSU loss was "needed". No one ever wants a loss. But CSU hasn't had their ego checked with a loss to a team they were supposed to beat in 3 years. The 21 days without a game due to the hurricane followed by 2 teams that, no disrespect, but didn't have the players to beat CSU (PC and Bucknell) didn't wake up CSU. GWU did.

Win or lose vs GWU....CSU faced a winner goes lose stays scenario vs Liberty because the Big South won't get an at large.

The loss may have been a blessing in disguise because it sure as hell woke CSU up from their daze they were in from all the high rankings and long stretch without any real threat of a loss.

I say....CSU 31 Liberty 30 in a thriller.

BigSouthFan
November 7th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Not through the autobid but technically KSU could have the longest of long shots at an at-large. Gardner-Webb beating CSU actually hurt Kennesaw's chances more than CSU's since it eliminated the possibility of a three-way tie.

Kennesaw is currently 7-2 but three of those wins are against D2 schools. If they beat Presby this week (they should) and CSU the week after (they could), that would get them to the six-D1-win mark and 9-2 overall. However, at that point, you're talking about KSU's best win being against a (best case) 6-win CSU team that would have lost two of their last three to unranked teams and finished third in the Big South. Also, one of Kennesaw's two losses was at home to ETSU to start the season.

I think if Kennesaw were to beat ETSU at the beginning of the season, then finish the season out with PC and CSU wins, it's really hard to leave out a 10-1 KSU team. Crazy, yet I don't see them beating CSU especially if they are coming off a win at Liberty.

Corn_3024
November 7th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Small slate for the Big South. Only 2 football games, both inner-conference. One, much bigger than the other..

Schedule

Charleston Southern @ Liberty - Liberty still somewhat of an unknown. Only played one really good football team and got trounced. GWU took Liberty to OT, and squeezed it out against CSU. I see CSU's loss as much needed. As long as they are somewhat healthy, I see CSU getting their act together and pulling this one off. Jamey Chadwell has had their number lately. BUCS by 7.

Presbyterian @ Kennesaw - This is a mix of a homer pick, and a mix of knowing emotions, especially those of "decent" football teams. KSU is 7-2, coming off of blowout of Clark Atlanta, albeit a very weak schedule, and they have themselves positioned for a possible tie of the Big South if they can beat CSU on the road NEXT week (granted, a CSU win at Liberty is needed for this scenario). I think they overlook PC and PC pulls the stunner out at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. BLUE HOSE by 3.

Power Rankings + Playoff Picture

1. Liberty (6-3) - We find out a lot about the Flames this weekend. Are they back to being a contender? The JSU games says no. This is the first good football team they would have faced (outside of Gardner-Webb which pushed them to OT) since JSU. I picked them to lose in a close one, I still think CSU may be the better and better coached football team, but you cannot snub a team that's undefeated in conference play from the top spot. They'll settle it on the field Saturday. Liberty wins and they are in the playoffs as the sole champion of the Big South.

2. Charleston Southern (5-3) - Even after the head to head loss to GWU, I still have them at 2nd, with a conversation for 1st based off resume. Let's be honest, GWU is not a bad loss. GWU could of easily beat Coastal, Liberty, and The Citadel this year. Personally, I think they needed this loss more than they needed a first round BYE, and I think Coach Chadwell uses his master motivational skills and they pull this one out in Lynchburg. After all, they have no choice but to win these last two. They need two wins and they are in the playoffs, winning the tiebreaker with Liberty for the AQ.

3. Gardner Webb (4-5) - Tough putting a 4-5 team over 7-2 Kennesaw, but the resume says it all. Big win at CSU, no chance for playoffs or Big South title. Hope they can find a way to squeak some more close ones out next year, they could really shake up the conference.

4. Kennesaw State (7-2) - Great record, terrible resume. Should handle PC this weekend, but there is a chance for a slip up which I picked. Small chance for share of Big South title, smaller chance for playoffs. Involves a CSU win at Liberty then a win @ CSU next weekend. Tall task ahead to share the title in it's second year of existence.

5. Monmouth (4-6) - Better than PC, but out of all contention.

6. Presbyterian (2-7) - Out in all facets. Tough season.

PC could beat Kennesaw Saturday. No arguments about that.. however I'm curious how Gardner Webb is ahead of Kennesaw in your power rankings? Kennesaw no doubt has an inflated record, but they beat them head to head..on the road.

bonarae
November 7th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Charleston Southern
Presbyterian

BigSouthFan
November 7th, 2016, 07:56 PM
PC could beat Kennesaw Saturday. No arguments about that.. however I'm curious how Gardner Webb is ahead of Kennesaw in your power rankings? Kennesaw no doubt has an inflated record, but they beat them head to head..on the road.

Same reason CSU is ahead of GWU with the head to head. Body of work. They beat CSU. Lost to Citadel in a close one late. Liberty in OT. Coastal was close. Even was down 3 to FBS Ohio. They have a better win and better losses than anything KSU has.

FlamingHot
November 8th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Liberty
Kennesaw St.

MR. CHICKEN
November 11th, 2016, 03:43 PM
LIBERTY
KENNESAW STATE