PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 11

carney2
November 6th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Week 11

Another one bid year in the Patriot League. And we have scholarships exactly why … ?!!

LAFAYETTE @ COLGATE
FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS
BUCKNELL @ GEORGETOWN

Game of the Week: Fordham @ Holy Cross – If the Cross has one of their upswing bipolar episodes, this could be competitive. If not, it’s just one more episode of “Goodbye Mr. Gilmore.”

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Week 11

Another one bid year in the Patriot League. And we have scholarships exactly why … ?!!

LAFAYETTE @ COLGATE
FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS
BUCKNELL @ GEORGETOWN

Game of the Week: Fordham @ Holy Cross – If the Cross has one of their upswing bipolar episodes, this could be competitive. If not, it’s just one more episode of “Goodbye Mr. Gilmore.”
May I suggest "Un-Happy Gilmore"?xcoolx

Colgate
Fordham
Bucky

van
November 6th, 2016, 04:18 PM
picks much easier this week

LAFAYETTE @ COLGATE, tough to win in Hamilton in November even if you are good, Pards are not good

FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS, Rams with too much fire power and just enough D

BUCKNELL @ GEORGETOWN, Hoyas might not score

Sader87
November 6th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Like to point out that the Fordham @ Holy Cross is being played at Yankee Stadium. HC is technically the "home team" as the game was originally scheduled for Worcester.

bonarae
November 6th, 2016, 05:54 PM
Colgate
Fordham
Bucknell

van
November 6th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Like to point out that the Fordham @ Holy Cross is being played at Yankee Stadium. HC is technically the "home team" as the game was originally scheduled for Worcester.

and you coulda been in the big east

Go...gate
November 6th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Colgate needs to win the last two games to salvage a .500 season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Colgate needs to win the last two games to salvage a .500 season.

Since they play Lafayette and Georgetown that shouldn't be too tall of a task. A .500 record should not be possible, even for the Ivies.

Any word on an 11th game for next year? Colgate can't allow this to happen two years in a row....

Go...gate
November 6th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Since they play Lafayette and Georgetown that shouldn't be too tall of a task. A .500 record should not be possible, even for the Ivies.

Any word on an 11th game for next year? Colgate can't allow this to happen two years in a row....

It may happen again, and it is no big deal.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2016, 08:33 PM
It may happen again, and it is no big deal.

I'm sorry but that might the most absurd thing I've heard and I respect you man. You can't play a 10 game schedule two years in a row. That would be an embarrassment for Colgate and the Patriot League to have a member who believes it's ok to play a 10 schedule. My goodness....

Go...gate
November 6th, 2016, 09:58 PM
I'm sorry but that might the most absurd thing I've heard and I respect you man. You can't play a 10 game schedule two years in a row. That would be an embarrassment for Colgate and the Patriot League to have a member who believes it's ok to play a 10 schedule. My goodness....

It's not absurd. Let's examine the facts.

We play a full league schedule (and, as we both know, the conference badly needs an eighth football participant) and we have always preferred to play OOC games against the FBS, Ivy or CAA or the occasional inter-sectional FCS teams.

The Ivies don't want to play us as much anymore (Dartmouth will not be playing us any more after 2017, and Princeton abruptly ended a hundred-year series with us so they could play Davidson and Georgetown), and the CAA and other conferences only have so many OOC games available.

We did play a lot of NEC teams for a while (mostly because Dave Roach, Mr. Elizabeth City State himself, thought that was acceptable) but our BOT wants to cut back on those match-ups.

We have not played any games against the Pioneer and it is unlikely we will. Roach wanted to play Marist but that was left on the table after he left.

I understand we may pick up some games with Monmouth now that they are in the Big South, and we have a series scheduled against Furman.

Over time, I am sure the schedule will return to eleven games, but it will hew more to our traditional scheduling (though with far fewer Ivy match-ups) and there will be more road games.

As of now, 2017 is a ten-game slate.

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2016, 10:12 PM
It's not absurd. Let's examine the facts.

We play a full league schedule and we have always preferred to play OOC games against the FBS, Ivy or CAA or the occasional inter-sectional FCS teams.

The Ivies don't want to play us as much anymore (Princeton abruptly ended a hundred-year series with us so they could play Davidson and Georgetown), and the CAA and other conferences only have so many OOC games available.

We did play a lot of NEC teams for a while (mostly because Dave Roach, Mr. Elizabeth City State himself, thought that was acceptable) but our BOT seems to want to cut back on those match-ups.

We have not played any games against the Pioneer and it is unlikely we will. Roach wanted to play Marist but that was left on the table after he left.

I understand we may pick up some games with Monmouth now that they are in the Big South, and we have a series scheduled against Furman.

Over time, I am sure the schedule will return to eleven games, but it will hew more to our traditional scheduling (though with far fewer Ivy match-ups) and there will be more road games.

I don't agree with this. Playing less than 11 games is not good for the national reputation of the program. A 10 game schedule basically removes all hope of an at-large bid, and we didn't add scholarships just to have a better shot at winning a league title. That's every bit as insular as the Ivies.

Winning PL titles is great, but that isn't/shouldn't be our only path to the postseason. If we want to become a more consistently strong program, regularly choosing to forgo games is not a good decision. We may wind up with 10 games next year, but that should not be a regular occurrence.

I also cannot understand why playing NEC schools is somehow inappropriate, especially enough for the BOT to get involved. Either the coaches/AD get to make the schedule or they don't. Why throw out potential opponents like that? And why is Monmouth okay now that they are in the Big South, but not when they were NEC?

ngineer
November 6th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Colgate in normal seasons would skate by Lafayette, however, with the mild weather, surfing past the Leotards more apropos..42-20

Bucky's D is very good plus they have some offensive weapons. Hoyas have a D, but "O", my goodness. Bison 28-6.

Rams will romp in da' Bronx. 41-21.

Lehigh lounging and cuddling with the PL trophy.

Go...gate
November 6th, 2016, 10:45 PM
I don't agree with this. Playing less than 11 games is not good for the national reputation of the program. A 10 game schedule basically removes all hope of an at-large bid, and we didn't add scholarships just to have a better shot at winning a league title. That's every bit as insular as the Ivies.

Winning PL titles is great, but that isn't/shouldn't be our only path to the postseason. If we want to become a more consistently strong program, regularly choosing to forgo games is not a good decision. We may wind up with 10 games next year, but that should not be a regular occurrence.

I also cannot understand why playing NEC schools is somehow inappropriate, especially enough for the BOT to get involved. Either the coaches/AD get to make the schedule or they don't. Why throw out potential opponents like that? And why is Monmouth okay now that they are in the Big South, but not when they were NEC?

They are a full-scholarship program in the Big South - only 40 in the NEC.

And, Vicki Chun is working on some new series as well.

I don't think we're going to have ten-game seasons as a regular thing.

Gater
November 6th, 2016, 11:18 PM
10 games for Colgate is a mistake. I understand why it has happened, but it makes getting into the playoffs much more difficult. Colgate's four non-league games next year are Buffalo, Richmond, Furman, and Cornell. Furman is down right now, but historically very good. Cornell is typically a win. Richmond and Buffalo would both be excellent wins. A very good Colgate team could end up 7-3 (with loses to Richmond, Buffalo and a PL team) and easily be left out of the playoffs. An eight win team (with a win over an NEC team like Bryant) has a much better resume. Even a 7-4 Colgate has a shot if the PL is very strong. 6-4 has no shot. Plus, two bye weeks is just a bummer. They have an opening the first week of the season and five home games right now. Assuming they can't get an 11th game with an FCS opponent, I'd still rather see them take on a second FBS team than play 10 games.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2016, 11:20 PM
Does Delaware have a home opener yet for 2017? Colgate at Delaware seems like the perfect solution to the 10 game schedule problem. Gate doesn't need a sixth home game and the Hens play their FBS opponent September 9th.

Gater
November 6th, 2016, 11:36 PM
Tried to find a future schedule for Delaware but couldn't. Boy, that would be a great opener.

Go...gate
November 7th, 2016, 01:12 AM
Does Delaware have a home opener yet for 2017? Colgate at Delaware seems like the perfect solution to the 10 game schedule problem. Gate doesn't need a sixth home game and the Hens play their FBS opponent September 9th.

I don't believe they do. That would be a natural.

What about Delaware at Colgate?

Go...gate
November 7th, 2016, 01:13 AM
10 games for Colgate is a mistake. I understand why it has happened, but it makes getting into the playoffs much more difficult. Colgate's four non-league games next year are Buffalo, Richmond, Furman, and Cornell. Furman is down right now, but historically very good. Cornell is typically a win. Richmond and Buffalo would both be excellent wins. A very good Colgate team could end up 7-3 (with loses to Richmond, Buffalo and a PL team) and easily be left out of the playoffs. An eight win team (with a win over an NEC team like Bryant) has a much better resume. Even a 7-4 Colgate has a shot if the PL is very strong. 6-4 has no shot. Plus, two bye weeks is just a bummer. They have an opening the first week of the season and five home games right now. Assuming they can't get an 11th game with an FCS opponent, I'd still rather see them take on a second FBS team than play 10 games.

I agree. And those games are out there.

aceinthehole
November 7th, 2016, 05:52 AM

I agree.

TheValleyRaider
November 7th, 2016, 06:24 AM

The scholarship thing doesn't make any sense. It's not like it would hurt us in playoff selection. Plus, we didn't exactly have a great record when we did play NEC opponents

I'm sure Chun and Hunt are working on other games, hopefully for 2017. I definitely trust them to try and do the right thing xthumbsupx

RichH2
November 7th, 2016, 06:56 AM

We really have to stop looking down on the NEC. The rationale of fewer schollies is misleading. NEC has 40 schollies but also allows need aid up to the NCAA cap of 63. The top teams in the NEC are no longer cupcakes.

jimbo65
November 7th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Colgate

Fordham, will be there at Yankee Stadium

Bucknell

Go...gate
November 7th, 2016, 08:38 AM
We really have to stop looking down on the NEC. The rationale of fewer schollies is misleading. NEC has 40 schollies but also allows need aid up to the NCAA cap of 63. The top teams in the NEC are no longer cupcakes.

I certainly don't feel that way about the NEC. It seems to be an institutional decision by our BOT.

Colgate is 0-1 against the NEC in playoff competition and we have struggled against many NEC teams in regular season play. .

Lehigh'98
November 7th, 2016, 08:45 AM
NEC is almost identical to the PL in that the top teams can be very competitive and the bottom teams usually are not.

MR. CHICKEN
November 7th, 2016, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=Gater;2408407]Tried to find a future schedule for Delaware but couldn't. Boy, that would be a great opener.[/QUOTE

...USIN' DUH ADVANCE SEARCH FEATURE...ON AGS..."2017 FOOTBALL SCHEDULES":

9/2/17.......DELAWARE STATE
9/9/17.......@ VIRGINIA TECH
9/16/17.....CORNELL

...SORRAH 'GATERS....WE COOD USE DUH W.....'CEPT....WE BE BOOKED.......:p.....AWK!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2016, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=Gater;2408407]Tried to find a future schedule for Delaware but couldn't. Boy, that would be a great opener.[/QUOTE

...USIN' DUH ADVANCE SEARCH FEATURE...ON AGS..."2017 FOOTBALL SCHEDULES":

9/2/17.......DELAWARE STATE
9/9/17.......@ VIRGINIA TECH
9/16/17.....CORNELL

...SORRAH 'GATERS....WE COOD USE DUH W.....'CEPT....WE BE BOOKED.......:p.....AWK!

Thanks for clarifying. BRAWK!

The PL has a unique problem in that the Ivy League doesn't start their season until Week 3 at best of the PL season. That means for weeks 1 and 2, they need to find either FBS teams, CAA teams, NEC, or Pioneer as OOC games. Assuming Colgate doesn't want back-to-back FBS games, that narrows things to Pioneer, NEC or CAA. Much of the CAA is either committed to games already (Delaware) or have an FBS game (JMU).

UNH is another possibility. They have a 9/9 game scheduled vs. Georgia Southern, so possibly could host (or travel to) Colgate.

Go...gate
November 7th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Let's face it. The 80,000 lb. gorilla in the room is the need for the PL to get another football member.

Maybe, at the end of the day, the answer is to look to an NEC school (Wagner?) or Monmouth (they are not exactly a great fit as the northern outpost in the Big South) to come aboard for football. Seven conference games greatly facilitates overall scheduling.

crusader11
November 7th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Let's face it. The 80,000 lb. gorilla in the room is the need for the PL to get another football member.

Maybe, at the end of the day, the answer is to look to an NEC school (Wagner?) or Monmouth (they are not exactly a great fit as the northern outpost in the Big South) to come aboard for football. Seven conference games greatly facilitates overall scheduling.

We aren't getting W&M and Villanova, which are the two names that consistently arise when we talk of PL expansion.

The only schools that I think may work: Monmouth and Rhode Island.

I don't mind having a seven school conference as it allows for more interesting schedules in the OOC. The slates for HC over the next five years are outstanding.

Go...gate
November 7th, 2016, 11:14 AM
We aren't getting W&M and Villanova, which are the two names that consistently arise when we talk of PL expansion.

I don't mind having a seven school conference as it allows for more interesting schedules in the OOC. The slates for HC over the next five years are outstanding.

The Ivies will still play you guys, which gives a traditional flavor to your OOC schedule. Our games with the Ivy are drying up.

ColgateTD
November 7th, 2016, 12:06 PM
What happened to Richmond as a member?

Colgate - by 21 (playing for pride)
Fordham - by 19
Bucknell - by 14

35-14

Gater
November 7th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the info, Mr. Chicken. Always nice to have a voice of clarity around here.

Colgate's schedules (with a home-and home with Bryant) were a good mix of reach and winnable. Bryant isn't an opponent that gets the blood boiling but it's a solid program and certainly has a lot more to offer than Bye Week.

Agreed that Colgate is lucky to have Hunt and Chun. Feel like the entire athletics program and the school (especially with the new president) are headed in a good direction.

aceinthehole
November 7th, 2016, 12:25 PM

I don't see Wagner going PL for football, while keeping everything else in the NEC.

Patriot League fans know what is the best fit for their league, but I still think the most likely options are Monmouth (would accept an invite without hesitation), Marist (not sure they have the budget for it), possibly Duquesne (they love the NEC, but the PL footprint and members would certainly have some appeal to them), or VMI (not sure of the interest).

DFW HOYA
November 7th, 2016, 12:25 PM
PL expansion stands firm on Rev. John Brooks' statement: "We're setting an example for others to follow. So far, no one has followed."

It's a good thing Georgetown and Fordham show no ambition to appeal to a better conference, or PL football would really be on the edge. The league needs full-time football members and bringing in Boston U and Loyola doesn't change that equation.

RichH2
November 7th, 2016, 12:28 PM

Fordham - by 19
Bucknell - by 14

35-14

When CAA was in turmoil UR applied to join PL. Alumni went nuts on a perceived downward move. UR backed off. PL is now in a better but not yet attractive position for a new member.

RichH2
November 7th, 2016, 12:29 PM
PL expansion stands firm on Rev. John Brooks' statement: "We're setting an example for others to follow. So far, no one has followed."

It's a good thing Georgetown and Fordham show no ambition to appeal to a better conference, or PL football would really be on the edge. The league needs full-time football members and bringing in Boston U and Loyola doesn't change that equation.

True :) but remains a possibility altho remote.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Ever think that the Ivy League has a vested interest in keeping the Patriot League at seven games?

If the Patriot League goes to eight games, unless they're all committed to having conference games in Week Two, the OOC games most likely to go away are Ivy League games. Most schools are quite happy to not need to deal with getting extra OOC games, but for PL schools there's a tight window for Ivy/PL games, which a significant number of people still enjoy. Adding more members doesn't really help much in that area.

To me, it seems like Colgate's BOT (maybe president) in trying to reduce the number of NEC games haven't really thought this all of the way through. Unless they become members of the two FBS games a year club, they don't have a lot of choice for OOC games.

RichH2
November 7th, 2016, 02:21 PM
A 7 game PL sched works guite well IMO. Ivies have backed off on 3 per year already. 1 or 2 Ivies and a CAA game each year adequate. Leaves room for occasional FBS and my preference some games with SoCon or Big South.

Gangtackle11
November 7th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Colgate 24 Lafayette 14
Holy Cross 38 Fordham 35
Georgetown 13 Bucknell 10

Last Week: 2-1 Season: 34-15

PAllen
November 7th, 2016, 02:54 PM

Fordham - by 19
Bucknell - by 14

35-14

They said no.

crusader11
November 7th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Holy Cross 38 Fordham 35

Thanks, Gang. We have a fighting chance with Wade at QB. I'm confident we'll be competitive in this one, but Fordham is 7-10 points better.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 7th, 2016, 04:03 PM
UNH is another possibility. They have a 9/9 game scheduled vs. Georgia Southern, so possibly could host (or travel to) Colgate.

Sorry, from what I've heard UNH has filled their OOC slate for 2017:

9/9 @ Georgia Southern
9/16 @ Holy Cross
9/30 Bryant

Fordham
November 7th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Gang. We have a fighting chance with Wade at QB. I'm confident we'll be competitive in this one, but Fordham is 7-10 points better.
What's Wade's deal? Mobile or drop back? Really don't know anything about him but always had huge respect for Pujols

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2016, 04:32 PM

9/9 @ Georgia Southern
9/16 @ Holy Cross
9/30 Bryant

That's interesting because that means they will have an opening weekend bye on 9/2.

Anywho, cross UNH off the list. The list of non-PFL, non-NEC opponents for 9/2 is growing exceedingly small.

crusader11
November 7th, 2016, 04:36 PM
What's Wade's deal? Mobile or drop back? Really don't know anything about him but always had huge respect for Pujols

He can tuck and run if need be, but is more of a traditional pocket passer -- throws a good ball, particularly the deep one. Won't go out there and win a game, but rarely makes mistakes.

If he played the entire game against Bucknell, we win. And, if he was healthy against Colgate, we would have had a decent chance, as well.

TheValleyRaider
November 7th, 2016, 05:27 PM
2-1 last week, 35-14 on the season. Quick picks coming up with some not-too-difficult to predict matchups

Lafayette at Colgate Colgate Raiders have faced their toughest opponents so far this season, with only 2 games to go facing some bottom-dwellers at home. The Leopards come first after snapping their losing streak against Georgetown. They've got 2 big games left, this one and Lehigh, which means they've really only got 1 big game left. I don't see the 'Gate finishing with only 1 home win on the season.

Fordham at Holy Cross Fordham Interesting venue for this one, bringing it to Yankee Stadium. The L-L's 150th got a nice crowd a couple of years ago, but the circumstances here are slightly different. Rams rebounded nicely from last year's tough loss in Hamilton for some revenge. The Crusaders, well, are coming to the end. Plenty of speculation here all season about Gilmore's coaching tenure, but we'll know more for sure in a week's time.

Bucknell at Georgetown Bucknell This one is going to be all about defense. The Bison, though, have moved the ball some over the season, though we'll see if they bounce back after a tough loss in Bethlehem. I'd feel slightly more confident if they didn't have to go on the road, but then again I'm not sure where the Hoyas' points come from in this one. Take the under.

ngineer
November 7th, 2016, 07:53 PM

I always thought that Duquesne would be a possibility. A bit of a hike, but as decent repuation though not familiar with "technical" academic footprint, which is what the PL Presidents focus on.

UNHWildcat18
November 7th, 2016, 08:14 PM

9/9 @ Georgia Southern
9/16 @ Holy Cross
9/30 Bryant

Really wish the HC and Bryant games were switched, I do like us scheduling Bryant out of the NEC teams though.

RichH2
November 7th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Gate
Bucknell
Fordham

DFW HOYA
November 8th, 2016, 07:53 AM
I always thought that Duquesne would be a possibility. A bit of a hike, but as decent repuation though not familiar with "technical" academic footprit, which is what the PL Presidents focus on.

Football budget: $2.8 million

US News Ranking: #124 in National Universities

SAT Range: 1120-1300

Stadium: May be worse than Georgetown. Permanent seats on only one side (see photo)

https://stonergaming.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/img_1363.jpg

LeopardBall10
November 8th, 2016, 08:13 AM

Stadium: May be worse than Georgetown. Permanent seats on only one side (see photo)

This is the one I really like. The academics are going to be deemed a step down, but are going to be in line with the Loyola addition (SAT 1130-1290). You add the Pittsburgh market in the PL which is already heavily recruited, the school fits in the general PL footprint (still a bus ride for everyone, 8.5 for HC, 6.5 for Fordham, and under 5 for I think everyone else), and you would add men's and women's basketball programs that would compete for a league title right away. The A.J. Palumbo center is one of the best venues for basketball I have been in.

I think the biggest issue would be getting them to leave the A10. Sure you cut their travel, and you get all of their sports in the same conference. But IDK if they see the PL as that big of a step up. Maybe we could pull them as a football only member out of the NEC? $$$?

RichH2
November 8th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Doubt Dukes would lcome as all sports member but I would like to see them in football.

Sader87
November 8th, 2016, 05:35 PM
And the Pennsylvania League becomes even more Pennsylvanian..... xdrunkyx

RichH2
November 8th, 2016, 06:48 PM
And the Pennsylvania League becomes even more Pennsylvanian..... xdrunkyx

Gee I dunno sounds good to me :):)
Seriously only other current option id Monmouth which is OK also for sports.

Spider from the North
November 9th, 2016, 01:12 PM
LAFAYETTE @ COLGATE
FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS
BUCKNELL @ GEORGETOWN

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2016, 02:58 PM

I totally agree with this and I'm not a fan of FBS games for the most part. If Colgate is a good team they should enter the Buffalo game with a legit belief they're going to win. The Bulls are nothing more than a Top 10/15 FCS team most years. This is the type of FBS game PL schools should be scheduling imo. Given that, get creative to fill the 11th game. The players deserve to be able to compete at least 11 times in a year.

ngineer
November 9th, 2016, 04:26 PM

https://stonergaming.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/img_1363.jpg

Interesting "press box" . Pretty fancy considering the modest stadium

Fordham
November 10th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Interesting "press box" . Pretty fancy considering the modest stadium

ha. Looks so goofy. Is that a luxury box or boxes that are part of that? Seems like they could fit half of the crowd in there if so. If not, it's an absurdly large press box. If those are luxury boxes, watching a game from there with the commoners down below reminded of that old Andy Kaufman talk show skit:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23827&stc=1

LeopardBall10
November 10th, 2016, 08:48 AM
ha. Looks so goofy. Is that a luxury box or boxes that are part of that? Seems like they could fit half of the crowd in there if so. If not, it's an absurdly large press box.

I think those are luxury boxes, but I'm not sure. They have wanted to expand the seating, but the have similar issues to Fordham in that the are directly downtown Pittsburgh and there is no room. They can't increase seating too much on the home side because the stadium backs up agaqins a cliff that overlooks the Bld. of the Allies. The Away side actually butts right up against the Academic Walk going through campus. The Rooney's (who own the Steelers and are Duquesne alumns) offered to build a bigger stadium off campus a little out of the city, across the river but everyone agreed that having the field directly in the center of campus with a connected football only building was better for everyone.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23828&stc=1

2ram
November 11th, 2016, 01:29 PM
I think those are luxury boxes, but I'm not sure. They have wanted to expand the seating, but the have similar issues to Fordham in that the are directly downtown Pittsburgh and there is no room. They can't increase seating too much on the home side because the stadium backs up agaqins a cliff that overlooks the Bld. of the Allies. The Away side actually butts right up against the Academic Walk going through campus. The Rooney's (who own the Steelers and are Duquesne alumns) offered to build a bigger stadium off campus a little out of the city, across the river but everyone agreed that having the field directly in the center of campus with a connected football only building was better for everyone.

actually, fordham has the room. what we don't have is the will of the BOT or the powers that be.

oh, and the money, we don't have that either...

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2016, 02:41 PM
actually, fordham has the room. what we don't have is the will of the BOT or the powers that be.

oh, and the money, we don't have that either...

Build the Bronx version of the Fargodome. A new home for basketball, football, a new concert venue. What could get in the way? xlolx

PAllen
November 11th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Gate
Bucknell
Fordham

+1 - Teams 2-4 in the PL take care of business this weekend.

BTW, who pays $80/ticket for the RAM/Crusader game?

MR. CHICKEN
November 11th, 2016, 03:28 PM
COLGATE
FORDHAM
BUCKNELL

Leopard Loyalist
November 11th, 2016, 04:10 PM
LAFAYETTE @ COLGATE
FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS
BUCKNELL @ GEORGETOWN

Go...gate
November 11th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Colgate 35, Lafayette 7

Fordham 31, Holy Cross 16

Bucknell 13, Georgetown 10

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2016, 10:39 PM
2-1 last week, 37-12 on the year....

Colgate 27 Lafayette 13 - It's going to be a cold, windy day in Hamilton tomorrow. The Raiders defense should be able to control the Leopard offense for the most part. Melville's passing has not been good though. Lafayette needs to force 'Gate to throw to have a chance...

Fordham 38 Holy Cross 27 - Wade can get the Crusaders talented WRs the ball which gives them a chance. But, I have to go with Fordham to win. I can't see the Rams losing at Yankee Stadium. This is a huge game for them...

Bucknell 16 Georgetown 3 - Defense should reign supreme. More FGs than first downs?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2016, 01:34 AM
I have to go Colgate, Fordham, Bucknell, all by multiple scores. Sentimentally I'd like to see Holy Cross make a game of it, but having seen both teams I have a hard time seeing it.

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Lafayette 0
Colgate 10
End 1st

So far going pretty much to script for the 'Gate. Leopards have punted twice, Colgate drove down once for a TD, second time kicked a FG. Leopards just got the kickoff, facing 3rd and long to start the next quarter.

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Lafayette 7
Colgate 24
Halftime

Leopards got a score right before the half, and have moved the ball a little better in the 2nd quarter. Still, Colgate's offense has looked good, and as long as they keep driving down the field they should be alright.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 12th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Fordham is rocking the pinstripe uniforms at Yankee Stadium. For their sake, hopefully it works out better for them than it did for Lehigh...

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Lafayette 17
Colgate 31
End 3rd

Not a great start to the quarter, as the Leopards picked up a safety and a TD to pull within one score. The defense has picked up since then, while the offense was able to move down the field and get another score. Raiders have the ball to start the 4th.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 12th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Fordham 14 Holy Cross 0 7:25 1Q

Rams are completely dominating. They might hit 60+ today....

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Lafayette 17
Colgate 38
Final

Defense stepped up again in the 4th quarter, got a few sacks to help slow down some drives, and the Raiders pick up the victory. Not much else to add on this one, as it was a solid victory. Good showing from the defense, balanced effort on offense, plenty of points, no turnovers (either way).

Looking to get to .500 as the season ends next week against Georgetown.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2016, 03:35 PM
This is making Lehigh's trip to Yankee Stadium look like a mild disappointment.

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2016, 03:41 PM
At the half:

Bucknell 7
Georgetown 0

About what you expect--Hoyas have about 70 yards of offense.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 12th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Fordham 54 Holy Cross 14 4:27 left in the game....

Holy Cross with an absolutely pitiful performance. The Rams haven't been lighting it up recently yet look like the '90 Giants in this one....

The Rams killed themselves with their schedule FBS/D2 combo and the Monmouth loss. They deserve a shot in the playoffs otherwise imo. I think they would certainly perform better than last year....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Fordham 54 Holy Cross 14 4:27 left in the game....

Holy Cross with an absolutely pitiful performance. The Rams haven't been lighting it up recently yet look like the '90 Giants in this one....

The Rams killed themselves with their schedule FBS/D2 combo and the Monmouth loss. They deserve a shot in the playoffs otherwise imo. I think they would certainly performance better than last year....

They have a shot. Not a great one, but a shot, assuming they beat G'Town.

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Final:

Fordham 54
Holy Cross 14

A long off-season in Worcester. Not as long as in Washington, but close.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 12th, 2016, 05:04 PM

I think they have a slightly less than 50/50 shot which is pretty good imo. The chaos in the CAA should help their cause.

Lehigh's chances to host went up greatly today imo. Their chances to snag seed also got a little better today. Nicholls beating UCA would be a bonus. So far, good day for the league. Lehigh has to take care of business next week!!

How much respect would Lehigh get for being the outright league champ? How much equity did Colgate build last year? And how much credit will Lehigh get for their wins over Princeton and Penn?....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2016, 05:29 PM
How much respect would Lehigh get for being the outright league champ? How much equity did Colgate build last year? And how much credit will Lehigh get for their wins over Princeton and Penn?....

All terrific questions I'd like to have answers to. Of particular note, Princeton has quietly sneaked into the Top 25 FCS teams in Sagarin's ratings this week (138, and to put this in perspective, Charleston Southern was at 136). I'm not sure where that leaves Lehigh, whether it adds "schedule strength" or not, but it seems likely that if some sort of computer rankings are used, the wins over Princeton and Penn would seem to be help Lehigh at least a little. The Monmouth loss, though, continues to hurt.

bison137
November 12th, 2016, 05:37 PM
This is the one I really like. The academics are going to be deemed a step down, but are going to be in line with the Loyola addition (SAT 1130-1290). You add the Pittsburgh market in the PL which is already heavily recruited, the school fits in the general PL footprint (still a bus ride for everyone, 8.5 for HC, 6.5 for Fordham, and under 5 for I think everyone else), and you would add men's and women's basketball programs that would compete for a league title right away. The A.J. Palumbo center is one of the best venues for basketball I have been in.

I think the biggest issue would be getting them to leave the A10. Sure you cut their travel, and you get all of their sports in the same conference. But IDK if they see the PL as that big of a step up. Maybe we could pull them as a football only member out of the NEC? $$$?

The Duquesne academics actually are MUCH worse than Loyola. The accurate Duquesne SAT range is 1040-1210. The issue with all of the candidates listed on this thread is that each would require a massive downgrade to the AI or they couldn't recruit at all.

i think the chance of them becoming an all-sports member is exactly zero. But a chance for football only if the league wants another member badly enough to seriously compromise the academic standards.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2016, 05:39 PM
That last Bucknell TD was nice to get, as it made me right about something this week.

LUHawker
November 12th, 2016, 06:54 PM
The Monmouth loss, though, continues to hurt.

True, but it was game 1 and the committee decidedly weights latter season vs. early season performance. I noted after Lehigh defeated Fordham that it has a non-zero chance of a first round bye - for which I was roundly ridiculed. It's not a high probability, but it isn't zero.

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2016, 08:03 PM

Fordham beating Georgetown would be a neat trick, given the Hoyas will be in Hamilton ;)

Go...gate
November 12th, 2016, 08:19 PM
The answer to the PL's needs is a colonial college which celebrated its 250th birthday this week by dropping a squeaker by 49 to Michigan State.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am talking about Dear Old Rutgers.

Sader87
November 12th, 2016, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't rule out Holy Cross dropping football in the near future.

Extreme reaction to today's game? Maybe.....but the future of D1 football at Holy Cross hasn't been this tenuous since the early 1970's.

ngineer
November 12th, 2016, 09:25 PM
The answer to the PL's needs is a colonial college which celebrated its 250th birthday this week by dropping a squeaker by 49 to Michigan State.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am talking about Dear Old Rutgers.

I said from day one that Rutgers move to the Big 14 was stupid. Massive ego problem. Of course they won't go down to FCS, but I could see them in American or similar conference.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 12th, 2016, 09:30 PM
I said from day one that Rutgers move to the Big 14 was stupid. Massive ego problem. Of course they won't go down to FCS, but I could see them in American or similar conference.

No!! We're doing just fine as currently constructed. We don't need anymore dead weight! Tulane is a perfectly fine cellar dweller in football and hoops....

My goodness does Rutgers suck...xlolx

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Georgetown drew just 1,371 for Bucknell, smallest crowd at a PL game in Washington in 12 years and probably one of the smallest PL attendance figures ever. Losing seven in a row does not bring in the crowds and an eighth straight loss seems very likely.

The problem, of course, is apparent: this is not getting better in 2017, either.

BNiche
November 13th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Lehigh/Lafayette fans, please chime in on this from two years ago, but as a Fordham fan and watching football at Yankee Stadium for only the second time (was at the first Pinstripe Bowl), it was a pretty awesome experience.

Didn't have any issues with sight lines, concessions, and bathroom lines, and of course, the result was beyond what I expected. The PA announcer was a bit irritating though... asking Crusader fans to "make some noise" on a third down while being down by 40? He kept going between being disinterested and overly enthusiastic.

Also, the slight ribbing between both colleges on donations was a little humorous. For context, between the second and third quarters, both Holy Cross and Fordham presented donation checks, displaying how much alumni have donated to each school.

Holy Cross came out first in the second quarter, showing they have raised a record 1.6 million dollars for athletics. Not to be outdone, in the following quarter, Fordham came out, showing that alumni have donated over 45 million dollars to the school for 2016. I laughed only because of how lopsided the dollar amounts were, which, reflecting on the score at the time, kinda makes sense.

crusader11
November 13th, 2016, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't rule out Holy Cross dropping football in the near future.

Extreme reaction to today's game? Maybe.....but the future of D1 football at Holy Cross hasn't been this tenuous since the early 1970's.

We just built perhaps the most impressive indoor football facility in all of New England. Football isn't being dropped.

Ramblin' Man
November 13th, 2016, 12:55 PM

We already did that, back on October 22. Next week we face Bucknell in Lewisburg. :p

hawkineer
November 13th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Lehigh/Lafayette fans, please chime in on this from two years ago, but as a Fordham fan and watching football at Yankee Stadium for only the second time (was at the first Pinstripe Bowl), it was a pretty awesome experience.
Probably shouldn't ask Lehigh fans. We have wiped any recollection of that game from our collective memory shortly after kickoff. Otherwise, some of us would still be in therapy. xbawlingxPrior to kickoff, it was awesome especially since this was my one and only trip to Yankee Stadium. Enjoyed monument park and the museum.

RichH2
November 13th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Probably shouldn't ask Lehigh fans. We have wiped any recollection of that game from our collective memory shortly after kickoff. Otherwise, some of us would still be in therapy. xbawlingxPrior to kickoff, it was awesome especially since this was my one and only trip to Yankee Stadium. Enjoyed monument park and the museum.

Sums it up pretty well for Lehigh fans. Discounting game, it was a very impressive weekend in NYC.