View Full Version : Lehigh Punches First Ticket To The Playoffs!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2016, 02:30 PM
It wasn't easy but Lehigh's defense came up huge in the second half in a 20-13 win over Bucknell! The last win is often the hardest and that was easily the case today!

It's Lehigh's first playoff appearance since 2011. They also made the playoffs in 1979, 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010...

They still need beat Lafayette to claim the outright league title....

RichH2
November 5th, 2016, 02:40 PM
D won this game for us. Whem was the last time we could say that :)
We got 1st half we expected. Much tighter 2nd tho than I expect. ed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2016, 02:44 PM
D won this game for us. Whem was the last time we could say that :)
We got 1st half we expected. Much tighter 2nd tho than I expect. ed.

Very similar to the 14-7 Holy Cross game in 2011. They won and that's all that matters. I don't think any Lehigh fan thought this would be a walk in the park. The Lehigh offense couldn't finish them off like I thought. #40 for Bucknell was Ndumakong Suh vs Texas years ago....

Hopefully Lehigh puts in a healthy bid to host! Enjoy the bye beat up Lafayette and gear up for the playoffs. They can advance imo...

RichH2
November 5th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Bye comes at a good time. OL got dominated badly. Bison DL superb today. Nick barely had time to breath much less make good reads.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Bye comes at a good time. OL got dominated badly. Bison DL superb today. Nick barely had time to breath much less make good reads.

OL stepped up in the second half. Lehigh was able to run and give Shaf more time.

Mountain Hawks outplayed Bucknell in the second half. They just couldn't get the final nail in the coffin. There's always one game you have to survive. This was it....

Bucknell was in play for the title too. They had a lot on the line as well...

Lehigh'98
November 5th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Abdullah, the DL for Bucknell is a monster. 6'4 290 and strong as hell. Still has a season left.

Pard4Life
November 5th, 2016, 05:16 PM
I've never seen a fan base talk about how great it is all the time... except maybe Chatty

LUHawker
November 5th, 2016, 05:17 PM
With Villanova dominating a surging Maine team, Lehigh's close loss to the Wildcats probably helps a little at this point in terms of a hosting opportunity.

I could see a rematch with VU if both get to the second round.

Engineer86
November 5th, 2016, 05:17 PM
I've never seen a fan base talk about how great it is all the time... except maybe Chatty
We just call it like it is, see you in two weeks

Ivytalk
November 5th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Congrats to Lehigh! I know my old buddy ngineer is pleased.xthumbsupx

RichH2
November 5th, 2016, 06:08 PM

Convenient memory . Last 2 years all we talked about was how bad we were 2 yrs ago and how bad our D was last year. Not gonna apologize for enjoying how good we are this year. See you in 2bweeks.

Schism55
November 5th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Nicely done Lehigh! hi-5

Terry2889
November 5th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Convenient memory . Last 2 years all we talked about was how bad we were 2 yrs ago and how bad our D was last year. Not gonna apologize for enjoying how good we are this year. See you in 2bweeks.

I distinctly remember people from your fanbase calling for Andy Coen's head a few years ago...

Doc QB
November 5th, 2016, 07:11 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23809&stc=1

Nice job, men, now go get the Pards!

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2016, 07:12 PM
I distinctly remember people from your fanbase calling for Andy Coen's head a few years ago...

he probably has a better qb and 2 good receivers now....

TheValleyRaider
November 5th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Congrats Hawks

Good luck in the playoffs xthumbsupx

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Congratulations! Great job guys!

Go...gate
November 5th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Congratulations to the Engineers! xthumbsupxxbeerchugxxcoachxxhurrayx

Well done and richly deserved.

Rest up and get healthy for the NCAA Tournament!

ngineer
November 5th, 2016, 08:28 PM

I do feel sorry for you guys.

ngineer
November 5th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Just got back a short while ago as a lot of our team from the early 1970's, gathered to remember a fallen teammate who died suddenly not long ago on the west coast. The sense of brotherhood in that room was palpable. It was gratifying to hear an alum from the 1990's who was assisting our dinner, remark that our group is the tightest group he as seen in his years at the University and that the current team is showing signs of developing the same close bonds that carry you through the tough times. Lehigh faced one of those tough times today. They were "off their sauce" in the first half to put it mildly. Some of that had to do with a Bucknell defense that played with fire in their eyes, as a win put them in a driver's seat for the title in future weeks. The offense played without focus. Disturbingly reminicent of the Monmouth first half. However, this time the our D was different who shut down the Bison in the second half and the O came to life as well. The mark of a good team is when it hits a rough patch and still finds a way to win. That happened today. The D had the O's back and the bonds of trust were strengthened. A good week to rest and heal up for what, hopefully, will a few more weeks of football!!

ColgateTD
November 5th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Props to the Enginhawks....you guys were just too good for the rest of us this season...

If you come up against Sam HS, give 'em hell in the playoffs! ;)

ngineer
November 5th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Props to the Enginhawks....you guys were just too good for the rest of us this season...

First thing first. That would be at least into the third week. We first need to whup up on the Leotards. We'll have a big bulls eye because of coming in as the league champ and Laughy needs a scalp to weather the winter and keep the Frankosaurus around. They will come out with all sorts of shat in the first half. Will be important for us to score early and often to send their alums off to early drinking. Can't let them hang around the way the Bison did today. Word is that if we finish 9-2, we have a bid in for first rounder at Goodman which could be either NEC champ or one of the runner-ups of the CAA (UR, Maine, VU of JMU). It's been a nice run this year. I hope we can finish strong. Thanks.

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:48 PM

I would love to see a Lehigh vs. Sammy matchup!

Lehigh'98
November 5th, 2016, 08:56 PM
I would love to see a Lehigh vs. Sammy matchup!

Has Sam played a tough schedule this year?

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Has Sam played a tough schedule this year?

Southland is a fairly tough conference even though the records do not indicate. I know Sammy's defense isn't that strong, so if they play against a team with a strong defense it could spell trouble for Sammy. Just my observation

ngineer
November 5th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Southland is a fairly tough conference even though the records do not indicate. I know Sammy's defense isn't that strong, so if they play against a team with a strong defense it could spell trouble for Sammy. Just my observation

Sammy's SOS is suspect. They play FBS tough, but also seem to struggle against weaker schools. They throw a great amount of the time, sort of like Texas Tech's "air raid" of a few years ago. It could be a track meet if we met. But that won't happen unless we get by at least the first two weeks of the playoffs.

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Sammy's SOS is suspect. They play FBS tough, but also seem to struggle against weaker schools. They throw a great amount of the time, sort of like Texas Tech's "air raid" of a few years ago. It could be a track meet if we met. But that won't happen unless we get by at least the first two weeks of the playoffs.

this is true. Better to focus on getting through the 1st playoff game, and then let the chips fall where they may. Either way, I really hope to see a Lehigh vs. SHSU matchup cuz it would be exciting to watch!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2016, 11:38 PM
this is true. Better to focus on getting through the 1st playoff game, and then let the chips fall where they may. Either way, I really hope to see a Lehigh vs. SHSU matchup cuz it would be exciting to watch!

Colgate got smoked against SHSU last year. Keeler has had the PL's number in the playoffs dating back to Lafayette in 2004.

Hopefully Lehigh gets one home game. If they win perhaps they get Villanova/Richmond/YSU/JMU or another "regional" game to possibly advance. Lehigh won't be happy with just being there. They're traditionally the PL's toughest out....

MTfan4life
November 5th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Colgate got smoked against SHSU last year. Keeler has had the PL's number in the playoffs dating back to Lafayette in 2004.

Hopefully Lehigh gets one home game. If they win they perhaps they get Villanova/Richmond/YSU/JMU or another "regional" game to possibly advance. Lehigh won't be happy with just being there. They're traditionally the PL's toughest out....

I wouldn't be surprised with a first round game against Richmond or New Hampshire. I think St. Francis might be out of the Lehigh picture with a likely matchup against YSU.

superman7515
November 5th, 2016, 11:54 PM
...an alum from the 1990's who was assisting our dinner...

http://i.imgur.com/ZEDQr.gif

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2016, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised with a first round game against Richmond or New Hampshire. I think St. Francis might be out of the Lehigh picture with a likely matchup against YSU.

Lehigh would have a solid chance to host UNH this year. I think Richmond gets Liberty if the Flames make it.

Loretto, PA is closer to YSU but the 'Guins are no sure thing. SIU will be a headache....

Twentysix
November 5th, 2016, 11:56 PM
Congrats Lehigh.

Engineer86
November 6th, 2016, 05:34 AM
A few years ago, someone reposted a thread on the Lehigh site from after the Nova game.xdrunkyx

2ram
November 6th, 2016, 06:31 AM
congrats lehigh! gl in playoffs, hope you put in a colgate like run this year.

Fordham
November 6th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Congrats !! Do th PL proud in the playoffs

PAllen
November 6th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Great to be headed back to the playoffs, but I'll go on record as still not being a believer. We've beaten the tar out of some pretty crap teams. We've played close to the only teams we played that had defenses. And of course, there's the Monmouth game. Beat Lafayette and it's a successful season. We'll see how good we are in the playoffs. If we play like we did yesterday, we'll be out of the playoffs before the leftover turkey is cold. All that said, I'm glad we had our let down game this week and were able to overcome it. Hopefully we light up Lafayette and carry that momentum into the first few weeks of the playoffs. With the right matchups, and the right mentality, this could be a quarter or semi-final team. With the wrong matchup, or the wrong mentality, and this could be a one and done playoff trip.

RichH2
November 6th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Great to be headed back to the playoffs, but I'll go on record as still not being a believer. We've beaten the tar out of some pretty crap teams. We've played close to the only teams we played that had defenses. And of course, there's the Monmouth game. Beat Lafayette and it's a successful season. We'll see how good we are in the playoffs. If we play like we did yesterday, we'll be out of the playoffs before the leftover turkey is cold. All that said, I'm glad we had our let down game this week and were able to overcome it. Hopefully we light up Lafayette and carry that momentum into the first few weeks of the playoffs. With the right matchups, and the right mentality, this could be a quarter or semi-final team. With the wrong matchup, or the wrong mentality, and this could be a one and done playoff trip.

Not quite as sanguine about team. Ir chalk prevails over next 2 we could get a 1st round home game. Likely vs NEC champ or a CAA runner up.

ngineer
November 6th, 2016, 09:02 AM

Very true, but can be probably said about most playoff games. Regardless of the preceding 3 months, it is a brand new season and mental preparedness will go a long way. There was definitely a lack of focus by the Offense in the first half today. More dropped balls than in the preceding 7 games, combined. With this accomplishment, team can focus, now, on just going out and having fun.

van
November 6th, 2016, 09:05 AM

seems like a lot of folks aren't giving Buffs enough credit for yesterday, granted it was not our best effort, but gotta give some credit to opposition in this one

CHIP72
November 6th, 2016, 09:06 AM
The Bucknell game was really Lehigh's first mediocre game since September - they've been rolling for 1 1/2 months straight. I wouldn't get too upset about the Mountain Hawks' unimpressive win; the important thing is they got the W.

ngineer
November 6th, 2016, 09:10 AM
seems like a lot of folks aren't giving Buffs enough credit for yesterday, granted it was not our best effort, but gotta give some credit to opposition in this one

Not so. I gave them their due in my earlier post. Their defense was ranked #1 in the PL this year and with good reason. Bucky gave Chuck South a tough game on the road the prior week, but couldn't keep pace in the fourth quarter. Same thing in a way yesterday. After a "Monmouth-like" first half we dominated the second, only this time the Defense stood tall when needed and made some huge plays. This was a very good win. Bucknell had a great incentive to be pumped. They came in with only one league loss, and if they knocked us off, they controlled their destiny to a championship. They have two very good backs, both who will be back next year, so I expect them to be a contender if they have a decent replacement for Nitti, who I think is a senior.

Engineer86
November 6th, 2016, 09:11 AM

Based on Bucknell's overall season, how much credit do you want to give them. Until the PL starts beatingsome playoff bound OOC teams, it is pretty tough for me to give to much credit for a game like that. I was again impressed that LU again gave up very little in the second half(i.e., nothing), and fought through a relatively poor performance to win, but that performance will results in one and done, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

The Bucknell game was really Lehigh's first mediocre game since September - they've been rolling for 1 1/2 months straight. I wouldn't get too upset about the Mountain Hawks' unimpressive win; the important thing is they got the W.

+1

RichH2
November 6th, 2016, 09:31 AM
A bit premature to be predicting playoffs particularly after this game. Bucknell a very tough team for all opponents. A very tough D with an excellent Dline. LU came out a bit overhyped and it showed. Rifgted the ship for 2nd half and controlled the game. Bucknell has had the same problem for the last few years. They move the ball on long drives and dont score.
Regardless of records Pards will be a battle for a little while. They are the focus now. After bye werk Lehigh needs to get back to game speed and dominate . Then we can speculate on 1st round matchups.

PAllen
November 6th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Bucknell had some very impressive fine play. They dominated the trenches for much of the game. If BU has a kicker who can nail chip shots, or they avoid a few costly personal fouls, they win that game.

- - - Updated - - -

D line not fine

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Lehigh is not without flaws. This team will not be seriously challenging for Frisco this year imo unless they catch some ridiculous break. I do feel they can win a game or two depending on the draw. A team with a big physical OL and the ability to hit some big plays down field will end the parade. JMU (Abdullah), The Citadel, NDSU, SHSU, Cal Poly and Chatty would be big trouble. Some combination of UNH, Richmond, 'Nova, YSU, St. Francis, Liberty and Maine would make for a fun first two rounds imo. A home game would really help imo!

I know Lehigh doesn't take many transfers but if they could land a legit big DT for next year it would really raise their ceiling. They must get better at stopping the run in order to challenge for Frisco and the title....

RichH2
November 6th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Lehigh is not without flaws. This team will not be seriously challenging for Frisco this year imo unless they catch some ridiculous break. I do feel they can win a game or two depending on the draw. A team with a big physical OL and the ability to hit some big plays down field will end the parade. JMU (Abdullah), The Citadel, NDSU, SHSU, Cal Poly and Chatty would be big trouble. Some combination of UNH, Richmond, 'Nova, YSU, St. Francis, Liberty and Maine would make for a fun first two rounds imo. A home game would really help imo!

I know Lehigh doesn't take many transfers but if they could land a legit big DT for next year it would really raise their ceiling. They must get better at stopping the run in order to challenge for Frisco and the title....

Pretty much agree. They do have DL big enuf and athletic enuf. Missing a a dominant NG. Mitchell is OK but struggles vs physical OL. Also need depth I think. Hard to tell with the way DL is rotated. LU much better vs run now than early season with Lambert healthy.
Not sure we can challenge next year. We lose all the LBs and 3 OL.

van
November 6th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Pretty much agree. They do have DL big enuf and athletic enuf. Missing a a dominant NG. Mitchell is OK but struggles vs physical OL. Also need depth I think. Hard to tell with the way DL is rotated. LU much better vs run now than early season with Lambert healthy.
Not sure we can challenge next year. We lose all the LBs and 3 OL.

hope Short is back and only 2 OL to replace, LBs and Rover more of a concern

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2016, 05:05 PM
hope Short is back and only 2 OL to replace, LBs and Rover more of a concern

You almost always have to replace people. It's not a problem when you have depth. Lehigh has built that. Lehigh will be losing a 3 year starter at QB and it won't have any effect on the offense imo.

Lehigh should be fine at OL. That's Coen's background and he's teams usually excel in that area.

The front 7 on D in general would be my only real concern. Caslow is playing great and is definitely a big time leader on the field. His intangibles will be tough to replace. Otherwise, this team should, barring bad injuries, be able to uphold expectations next year. I think they'll have a higher ceiling than the 2011 team.

RichH2
November 6th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Short eligible for 5th yr. No idea whether he will apply. Gut felling is he wont.

van
November 6th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Short eligible for 5th yr. No idea whether he will apply. Gut felling is he wont.

heard somewhere (can't remember where) that he would apply, would be great to have him again next year

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Lehigh is not without flaws. This team will not be seriously challenging for Frisco this year imo unless they catch some ridiculous break.

Neither is any team in the FCS Top 25 without flaws, and like all the games in the FCS Playoffs, much will depend on matchups. I can think of a few Top 10 teams I'd love for Lehigh to face.

Go...gate
November 6th, 2016, 10:05 PM
I think Lehigh can give SHS a run for their money.

ngineer
November 6th, 2016, 10:07 PM
While our LBs re seniors, a number of underclassmen have gotten good game experience this year thanks to some of the blowouts. A number in the secondary will return. We actually have some underclassmen in the LB corps that have better size than some of the starters, which has been a concern in years past. Not to worry about that now. Focus on the Leotards,now.