PDA

View Full Version : Duquesne Football - What Next?

Go...gate
July 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Since Duquesne's fine 2002 team (and growing program) has been discussed on another thread, and the MAAC Football League appears to be in its death throes, where do AGS posters think it will end up when the MAAC is gone - or when the Dukes decide to leave it?

blukeys
July 12th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Would they fit in the Patriot?

yomama
July 12th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Too expensive, and the Patriot League doesn't want them.

There is no urgency for them to make a change. More likely than joining Patriot football would be a MAAC merger with the Pioneer schools. That would require some loose scheduling requirements, but it could be done. The PFL will have to make some structural changes. This could be the time to do something with Duquesne.

colgate13
July 12th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Too expensive, and the Patriot League doesn't want them.

I think the PL would only be interested in full members at this point unless it was just the right associate option like Richmond or Nova.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 12th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Duquesne fits in great geographically with Dayton, Butler, Valparaiso... actually if you peel off St. Francis and Robert Morris from the NEC, that's a pretty nice 6-team mid-major conference right there.

As always, you have to say, "What is the commitment to the Pioneer commisioner to make something like this happen?"

Duquesne is often floated as possibly joining the Patriot League. I think they'd be a good fit as long as they fix up their field, commit to scholly equivalencies, etc. Geographically, they are kind of a marginal fit.

If/when the MAAC implodes, the Dukes will have 2 options: increase commitment to football and join the Patroit, or keep the status quo and join the Pioneer (or another new mid-major confernece). I think the Patriot would take them if they're knocking on the door.

89Hen
July 12th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I don't know enough about Duquesne's other sports to say where they should go, but for football, if they really did want to improve their football a little, they should stick with Albany who is a MM that is definitely making strides to improve their program. Pick off some of the MMs that want to improve.

nlwwln
July 12th, 2005, 02:43 PM
id like to see duquesne join the patriot, i dont think they are quite there yet as far asademics but i dont think it would be much of an issue for them to take that extra step. As far as im concerned i think they can compete well with the lower tier patriot league schools now and if they were to join i think they would definatly be competing for conference titles in no time. Duquesne has always had a good reputation for football and joining a major conference would only stir up more excitement and being in such a recruiting hotbed western PA i dont think they would have any problem bringing in the talent. They would definatly need to upgrade their facilities. as far as richmond joining i dont think there is a chance they are not interested in the style of football the patriot league plays, richmond is looking to make a name for itself on national level richmond seems to be a program on the rise plus they have obligations to other state schools william and mary and JMU richmond will follow those two schools because of the success they have experienced. Villanova i doubt would be interested either but i think they have more of a shot in getting them than richmond although i wouldnt be surprised if nova ends up goin D1a soon.

Bub
July 12th, 2005, 02:43 PM
The Dukes could be a very good pick up for the Pioneer since Austin Peay State is leaving to go back into the OVC. A non-scholly championship could be held then between the Pioneer and NEC champs. Assuming of course the I-AA playoff fields aren't expanded to include Pioneer, MAAC & NEC champs.

Ivytalk
July 12th, 2005, 02:44 PM
IMHO, Duquesne is a good geographic fit with the PL, but academically it would be an immediate "weak sister" compared to the other schools in the conference.

yomama
July 12th, 2005, 02:51 PM
As always, you have to say, "What is the commitment to the Pioneer commisioner to make something like this happen?"

Her commitment is to the Gateway. Fortunately, it doesn't depend on her. The coaches will work out whatever is necessary by January.

yomama
July 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM
The Dukes could be a very good pick up for the Pioneer since Austin Peay State is leaving to go back into the OVC.

The question is whether Duquesne would be motivated to make the switch. If it cut into scheduling games with Patriot & Ivy League teams, I don't think they would be interested. I think the Pioneer has had the door open for Duquesne for a few years.

A non-scholly championship could be held then between the Pioneer and NEC champs. Assuming of course the I-AA playoff fields aren't expanded to include Pioneer, MAAC & NEC champs.

The proposed championship you've described has been rejected by the NCAA more than once. Most recently, it was shot down within the last 3 years. Almost every year, non-scholarship programs either add scholarships or are dropped. Putting the NEC together with two non-scholarship leagues and creating a new playoff for the benefit of fewer than 25 programs is a non-starter. Stony Brook even came out publicly opposed to the idea.

For years, Ensor of the MAAC has been trying to merge his league with the Pioneer. Instead, the Pioneer went with north/south leagues disguised as divisions and a bowl game disguised as a league championship.

With the Pioneer south going down to 3 members...creating the real possibility of team qualifying for the championship with one win + tiebreaker...there could be an opportunity for the MAAC, either with a merger or a bowl game vs. the Pioneer.

Pen Guin
July 12th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Boy a move up to scholarshup would be great for YSU ... Duquesne and Robert Morris are very close to us. The closest scholarshipped program to us is probably Villanova.

Bub
July 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM
The question is whether Duquesne would be motivated to make the switch. If it cut into scheduling games with Patriot & Ivy League teams, I don't think they would be interested. I think the Pioneer has had the door open for Duquesne for a few years

The proposed championship you've described has been rejected by the NCAA more than once. Most recently, it was shot down within the last 3 years. Almost every year, non-scholarship programs either add scholarships or are dropped. Putting the NEC together with two non-scholarship leagues and creating a new playoff for the benefit of fewer than 25 programs is a non-starter. Stony Brook even came out publicly opposed to the idea.

For years, Ensor of the MAAC has been trying to merge his league with the Pioneer. Instead, the Pioneer went with north/south leagues disguised as divisions and a bowl game disguised as a league championship.

With the Pioneer south going down to 3 members...creating the real possibility of team qualifying for the championship with one win + tiebreaker...there could be an opportunity for the MAAC, either with a merger or a bowl game vs. the Pioneer.

Is the Pioneer interested in the rest of the MAAC outside of Duquesne?

89Hen
July 12th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Boy a move up to scholarshup would be great for YSU ... Duquesne and Robert Morris are very close to us. The closest scholarshipped program to us is probably Villanova.
Holy cow! Is that true?!

yomama
July 12th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Up to this point, no.

Now that they'll probably have to dump the north/south set up, I guess anything is possible.

Programs like St. Peter's and Iona will have to empty their piggy banks to make regular trips to Iowa. San Diego would also be a problem.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 12th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Holy cow! Is that true?!

It could, the other schools that might be closer are JMU and EKU.

HensRock
July 12th, 2005, 06:55 PM

I think "as-the-crow-flies" JMU, Towson, and Morgan State are all closer, but not by much. JMU is closest.

Bub
July 13th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Sounds like the real question, assuming dissolution of the MAAC, is what does Duquesne want to do?