PDA

View Full Version : Wildest Game of the Year - Eastern Washington at Cal Poly

coover
November 4th, 2016, 03:16 AM
Eastern Washington, perhaps the team with the best offense in the FCS, will play Cal Poly, a team whose offense is quite different than the EWU offense, but just as potent. Neither team, however, has shown that their defenses can stop much ... Massey has the EWU defense ranked number 31 in the FCS. He ranks Cal Poly at 57, but not much of a difference behind EWU.

I'm guessing a 63 - 57 win for Poly over the Eagles. It makes no difference whether one team is better than the other if both have great offenses and no defense. It's a mismatch. In this case, EWU throws an occasion interception. Poly rarely throws, but when they do, it's quite accurate. And that may be the difference, Poly will make an occasional stop of the EWU offense, while EWU may not be able to stop Poly in sold out Spanos Stadium.

So what do you think of this game? And what do you think the over/under will be?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 4th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Eastern gives up a lot of yards, but the defense makes stops and forces FGs in the redzone. Lately, the secondary has been picking the ball off a couple times a game. We've also been stronger against the run this year than in years past, but are still susceptible to the big play here and there.

While Poly's offense is good, EWU's is on another level. While the TO will give us problems per usual, this team has the grit and firepower to get the job done. I expect this to be a close game for a half, maybe three quarters, then Eagles step on the gas to finish the game out, which has been our MO this season.

EWU 51 - 34 CP

coover
November 4th, 2016, 04:24 AM
Eastern gives up a lot of yards, but the defense makes stops and forces FGs in the redzone. Lately, the secondary has been picking the ball off a couple times a game. We've also been stronger against the run this year than in years past, but are still susceptible to the big play here and there.

While Poly's offense is good, EWU's is on another level. While the TO will give us problems per usual, this team has the grit and firepower to get the job done. I expect this to be a close game for a half, maybe three quarters, then Eagles step on the gas to finish the game out, which has been our MO this season.

EWU 51 - 34 CPI'm not going to argue much of anything you have to say, Screaming, but thinking that you will intercept a pass or two is probably not the case. Poly throws about 12 times a game and they throw very accurately. I doubt very much if any of those will be picked off. And few teams in the FBS or FCS has the ability to run as Poly. Nobody yet this season has had the ability to stop the Poly's modified TO (some are calling it the Quadruple Option) when Poly needed points. They've had a couple of games where the offense played very conservatively because they knew the game was won. The Coaching Staff does not find it necessary to run up the score on their opponents. But when necessary, they will run at you from every angle, with perhaps the best 5 or 6 running back team in the nation.

It makes no difference whether EWU's offense is better, even much better than Poly's. If EWU cannot stop Poly, and Poly cannot stop EWU, which is how I expect the game to go, the team with the fewer turnovers will win. Additionally, Poly, like EWU, is a 2nd half team. Poly's advantage in the 2nd half is that they run the opposing teams defense into the ground. By the start of the 3rd quarter, the opponent has virtually no defense, but the team also makes good adjustments to what they have seen on the field in the 1st half. I've only seen a couple of EWU's games this year (including last week's game against Montana) and I realize that your Coaching Staff also adjusts very well, so it is hard to say who, here, has the advantage.

Basically, I'm saying that neither team will be able to stop the other much, but the chances that your team will turn the ball over (because of chances to intercept ) are greater than the chances that Poly will turn the ball over ... thus advantage Cal Poly.

kalm
November 4th, 2016, 07:01 AM
I'm not going to argue much of anything you have to say, Screaming, but thinking that you will intercept a pass or two is probably not the case. Poly throws about 12 times a game and they throw very accurately. I doubt very much if any of those will be picked off. And few teams in the FBS or FCS has the ability to run as Poly. Nobody yet this season has had the ability to stop the Poly's modified TO (some are calling it the Quadruple Option) when Poly needed points. They've had a couple of games where the offense played very conservatively because they knew the game was won. The Coaching Staff does not find it necessary to run up the score on their opponents. But when necessary, they will run at you from every angle, with perhaps the best 5 or 6 running back team in the nation.

It makes no difference whether EWU's offense is better, even much better than Poly's. If EWU cannot stop Poly, and Poly cannot stop EWU, which is how I expect the game to go, the team with the fewer turnovers will win. Additionally, Poly, like EWU, is a 2nd half team. Poly's advantage in the 2nd half is that they run the opposing teams defense into the ground. By the start of the 3rd quarter, the opponent has virtually no defense, but the team also makes good adjustments to what they have seen on the field in the 1st half. I've only seen a couple of EWU's games this year (including last week's game against Montana) and I realize that your Coaching Staff also adjusts very well, so it is hard to say who, here, has the advantage.

Basically, I'm saying that neither team will be able to stop the other much, but the chances that your team will turn the ball over (because of chances to intercept ) are greater than the chances that Poly will turn the ball over ... thus advantage Cal Poly.

I'm pretty sure Nevada and UND were both able to stop your offense when you needed points. xlolx

Poly is plus two in TO margin and we are plus 7. You shouldn't throw many picks because you simply don't throw very much. The Mustangs have lost 5 fumbles and Eastern has recovered 5 fumbles so current stats would indicate that turnovers are at best a push to a slight win in Eastern's favor.

You're right about the 2nd half. You have two of the better teams in FCS with Eastern outscoring opponents 211-84 and Poly 171-116. Eastern's defense has been especially strong later in the game holding WSU scoreless for over 30 minutes, MSU scoreless for 42 minutes, forcing 6 straight 3 and outs against UNI, and holding Montana's top 5 offense to 16 points.

This Eagle defense is improving. I like our speed to the ball at safety and linebacker and Samson Ebukam is one of the better DE's in the Big Sky. Zack Bruce, Miquiah Zamora, and Ebukam are all seniors who know your system. The key is obviously discipline, to hit the QB and dive hard and on every run play, and to have success on 1st and 2nd down. But the safeties also need discipline to not get sucked in and get beat over the top which is what you guys have been so good at this year.

We seem to mostly have close games with you guys...think last year or the epic triple overtime game in 2011 in SLO. Graves has been amazingly efficient this season and perhaps he's enough of a difference maker for the Mustangs to pull off the win.

Libertine
November 4th, 2016, 09:21 AM
5dimes' over/under on this game is 85 1/2 with EWU being a 4.5 point favorite. It seems that the bookmakers agree this will be a wild one.

nevadagriz
November 4th, 2016, 09:40 AM
To be the wildest game of the year, it would be a 10-7 final. That would be a wild score with these teams. I agree however 85+ points is a no brainer.
Two of the top 3 teams in the bsc (yes und fans you are the other) I'm not missing this one!

geaux_sioux
November 4th, 2016, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure who to cheer for in this one. If EWU wins that increase our chances for a seed but takes away any shot at the auto bid and outright title. If Poly wins that's opens up the out right title for us if we win out but removes any chance for a seed. Our buy week is the last week of the year so I'm not even sure a seed and an extra week off would even be a good thing.

F'N Hawks
November 4th, 2016, 10:29 AM
EWU gave up 503 yards rushing to Poly last year. That tells me they have no clue, whatsoever, how to defend the triple option. That Poly offense was a shell of this year's offense.

But, the Poly defense couldn't stop Sac State, which is embarrassing. I think it will come down to the last possession, somewhere in the 50's, low 60's.

UNDBIZ
November 4th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I'll be rooting for Cal Poly, but my prediction is 49-42 EWU.

tomq04
November 4th, 2016, 02:53 PM
I had penciled this game as a loss up until last weekend. Ewu has been starting slow and Cal poly is a bad team to play behind against.

I'm now a believer that this defense is hugely improved and the good weather is a massive plus for our offense. I think it will be close in the 3rd, but in the end ewu gets enough red zone stops to be ahead by 2 scores in the end.

49-40 (4 TD+4 FG)

ElCid
November 4th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I think it is awesome that there are two games the same week with similar game plans. EWU at Cal Poly and Samford at The Citadel. The running teams are at home! You got to love FCS football. I don't think it matters to me about who to cheer for on the west coast (I like both schools) other than if EWU loses then it may help our seeding, possibly. I don't think EWU will lose again though, even if they do lose this game, so maybe it will not help at all. Our game will be over by your start so I will be watching it for sure. Good luck to all.

coover
November 4th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Just thought I might mention a couple of things that EWU fans have brought up (correctly). In the Nevada game, the first game of the season, Poly started out badly with a fumble and some inept play offensively, apparently the result of nerves at the beginning of the first game of the season against a FBS team ... the result was an early 14 - 0 deficit. Poly came back and was able to tie the game at the end, losing in overtime. In the Sacramento State game, Poly's defense had several players out because of injury. Most defensive players that game were 2nd or 3rd string and at least 1, maybe more, had been redshirting and had to be used for the game. Most of those that were injured will be back for the EWU game. They probably will not be able to completely stop you, but they will not be as bad as some of you think, and they will stop some of your drives, just as I suspect you will stop some of ours.

I think you probably have the better overall team. I also think that with the proper game plan and adjustments as the game goes on, some luck and catching an interception or two, we can beat you. This game is not won by the Eagles just because they show up. The Mustangs are capable of beating EWU. It may take a mistake or two from your guys for this to happen. But you are not blowing out the Mustangs.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 4th, 2016, 05:32 PM
I'm not going to argue much of anything you have to say, Screaming, but thinking that you will intercept a pass or two is probably not the case. Poly throws about 12 times a game and they throw very accurately. I doubt very much if any of those will be picked off. And few teams in the FBS or FCS has the ability to run as Poly. Nobody yet this season has had the ability to stop the Poly's modified TO (some are calling it the Quadruple Option) when Poly needed points. They've had a couple of games where the offense played very conservatively because they knew the game was won. The Coaching Staff does not find it necessary to run up the score on their opponents. But when necessary, they will run at you from every angle, with perhaps the best 5 or 6 running back team in the nation.

I didn't say I think we will get a couple picks, my point was that over the last 2-3 games, our defense has been getting the ball away from the opponent. We've also forced a couple fumbles, including an impressive strip by Ebukam against MSU I think it was.

Like I said on the EWU forum, turnovers will be huge in this game for CP; if EWU keeps it +0 or better, I think we win by 14 points or more. If EWU goes -1 or worse, it will be close to the end or a CP victory.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 4th, 2016, 05:37 PM
This game is not won by the Eagles just because they show up. The Mustangs are capable of beating EWU. It may take a mistake or two from your guys for this to happen. But you are not blowing out the Mustangs.

I don't think there are any Eagle fans, let alone players that think we will win by showing up, or that CP isn't a good team. I can however see it being a blowout if EWU is up a couple scores in the 4th and CP is forced to put the ball in the air more than they would like to.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Mitch Fettig with an early pick. God the CP camera, audio, camera crew, and announcers are terrible.

http://eversport.tv/big-sky/football/2016/11/6/eastern-washington-at-cal-poly

mmiller_34
November 5th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Mitch Fettig with an early pick. God the CP camera, audio, camera crew, and announcers are terrible.

http://eversport.tv/big-sky/football/2016/11/6/eastern-washington-at-cal-poly

I tried to watch for a bit. Couldn't do it.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 08:25 PM
TD EWU, Shaq Hill. 7-0 Eags sometime in the 1st, because there's no scoreboard/display on this ****ty feed.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to watch for a bit. Couldn't do it.

Don't blame you. It's pure dog****.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 08:38 PM
TD run by CP QB Dano Graves, 7-7 with 1:24 left in the 1st.

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Funny thing is their fans were complaining about UNDs "homer" announcers on the HD television broadcast.

Look at the crap they put out.

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Im tuned in, E Wash looks like they will put up 70 or so....

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 08:43 PM
TD EWU, pass caught one handed against the helmet by Kendrick Bourne. 14-7 Eagles.

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I wish they all could be....

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Good job, Announcer Who Can't Read or Announce Good.

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:52 PM
good job EWU.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 08:56 PM
There's Cooper Kupp, doing Cooper Kupp things.

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Good job, Announcer Who Can't Read or Announce Good.

You see the irony in this sentence right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Kendrick Bourne again, 21-7 Eagles. 10:59 minutes left in the 2ndQ.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 08:59 PM
You see the irony in this sentence right?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly you've haven't seen Zoolander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRPfY4mE4ME

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Dano Graves with another QB keeper, EWU 21-14 CP, 6:58 left in 2Q.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Pick thrown by EWU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Is this game on somewhere??

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2016, 09:34 PM
Is this game on somewhere??

http://www.eversport.tv/big-sky/football/2016/11/6/eastern-washington-at-cal-poly

here dummy

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 09:59 PM
http://www.eversport.tv/big-sky/football/2016/11/6/eastern-washington-at-cal-poly

here dummy

xlolx
And if you don't want your ears to bleed from the *****ty audio, you can listen to a couple professional announcers here:

http://player.listenlive.co/28841

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Kupp with his 2nd TD.... pass. Yes, two TD passes by Kupp to Shaq Hill. xlolx

35-14 Eags, 4:01 to play in the 3rd.

EWU has now outscore opponents 235-84 in the 2nd half this season.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 10:27 PM
CP just answered

35-21

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 10:47 PM
CP FB Prothororororoe drops a likely TD in the flat. Makes up for Kupp dropping a sure TD before half that led to a missed FG. CP going for it on 4th. Time out.

Dano Graves dropped as he starts to scramble. Turnover on downs.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 10:55 PM
TD Cooper Kupp, 45 yard TD catch!

- - - Updated - - -

42-21 Eags, 4:21 left in the game.

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2016, 10:56 PM
In case anyone is wondering Cooper Kupp's QB rating this game is 589.6.

That's a decent effort. xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Final 42-21 Eagles.

Twentysix
November 5th, 2016, 11:25 PM
In case anyone is wondering Cooper Kupp's QB rating this game is 589.6.

That's a decent effort. xlolx

Does, that set the all time highest QBR at the end of a game?

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2016, 12:08 AM
Does, that set the all time highest QBR at the end of a game?
I'm guessing not since there probably has been someone to throw a single pass for a 20+ yard TD in the game (which would be better than Kupp's game on average since he averaged 19 yards per attempt with a 100% TD rate). I wouldn't doubt if that's the highest ever for someone with more than 1 pass attempt in a game though. No idea how to check that.