penguinpower
November 3rd, 2016, 03:38 PM
I think SHSU is ranked too high

No_Skill
November 3rd, 2016, 03:38 PM
I now see the strong emphasis on SOS.

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 03:40 PM
Every DII AD's phone is now ringing off the hook. Schedule crap, and try and move to a weak conference.

JSUSoutherner
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I DONT KNOW WHY AND I DON'T CARE.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/d18a95dad2d867fc8c5836c4dcdd280f.gif

Schism55
Totally. WTF?

Daytripper
Every DII AD's phone is now ringing off the hook. Schedule crap, and try and move to a weak conference.

We are the trailblazers...:D

FearTheBeak
November 3rd, 2016, 03:41 PM
Wow, honestly did not see that one coming.

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2016, 03:41 PM
NDSU has wins over 2 teams on the list.
The Citadel has a win over 1 team on the list.

None of the others have wins over anyone on the list. Yet, somehow, NDSU is 4 and The Citadel is 6.

Interesting...

Mayville Bison
November 3rd, 2016, 03:42 PM
Did they just throw it up with no commentary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacksfan29
1. Jacksonville St
2. Sam Houston St
3. Eastern Washington
4. North Dakota St
5. James Madison
6. The Citadel
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. Charleston Southern
10. Central Arkansas

Obviously SOS is not a factor in the rankings.

dudeitsaid
The Committee's primary source of info are AGS threads dominated by MilleniumKat.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

UNIFanSince1983
Completely opposite of the CFP first rankings where they basically rewarded tough schedules instead of winning.

Professor Chaos
Oh well... at least these aren't the final rankings. This week will be interesting as both EWU and NDSU have big games. If they win we'll see if the committee slot votes too.

Daytripper
This actually surprises me. I figured EWU or NDSU our be 1-2 or 2-1. I'm not complaining, of course.

dewey
2 quick takeaways.
1. Don't lose to an FCS team.
2. Strength of schedule does not matter.

Dewey

Thumper 76
I'm sorry but wtf is UCA doing on there

Htownbearkat
November 3rd, 2016, 03:43 PM

they did say it was a 16 team tourney xeyebrowx

No_Skill
November 3rd, 2016, 03:43 PM
A lot can happen between now and the final rankings, but something tells me that the committee does not want to see a sixpeat as much as I do.

Herder
November 3rd, 2016, 03:44 PM

Ummm . . . no emphasis on SOS.

Top 4 SOS: Sagarin for all DI

Jacksonville St. 166
Sam Houston 232
EWU 125
NDSU 98

That's like ranking Louisville ahead of Alabama and Clemson. Sam Houston's conf is really bad. Sunbelt vs SEC bad.

Htownbearkat
A lot can happen between now and the final rankings, but something tells me that the committee does not want to see a sixpeat as much as I do.

I think they may want to see a re-match in Frisco.

Sammy94
SOS lol, winning matters don't hate.

Professor Chaos
The Committee's primary source of info are AGS threads dominated by MilleniumKat.

Or the horrible STATS and Coach's polls. Never thought they (the selection committee) paid attention to those... guess I was wrong.

JSUSoutherner
BISON IN JACKSONVILLE LETS GO!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 03:45 PM
So why is The Citadel at #6 then?

dudeitsaid
November 3rd, 2016, 03:45 PM
they did say it was a 16 team tourney xeyebrowx
That must be a recent change....lol, sheesh!

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2016, 03:46 PM

Especially when The Citadel has a win over the #8 team.

JSUSoutherner
Because JMU dropped 84 on UNH probably.

PantherRob82
Complete garbage on a number of levels

Hambone
Was hoping to see UND slip into the top 10, but didn't figure they would. Really can't complain with the teams in there - although as pointed out numerous times the order with which they're in there is odd.

RedFlash

Yep, sprinkled with a few highlights. Pretty disappointing.

No_Skill
November 3rd, 2016, 03:47 PM
Ummm . . . no emphasis on SOS.

Top 4 SOS: Sagarin for all DI

Jacksonville St. 166
Sam Houston 232
EWU 125
NDSU 98

That's like ranking Louisville ahead of Alabama and Clemson. Sam Houston's conf is really bad. Sunbelt vs SEC bad.

You caught my sarcasm, right?

JSUSoutherner
Playoffs start tomorrow right? xnodx

BisonTru
Completely opposite of the CFP first rankings where they basically rewarded tough schedules instead of winning.

Yep, I've been watching ESPN guys talk about the FBS for now over an hour and half talk about tough schedules and the committee is not going to reward a Washington team that hasn't played anyone. FCS, nobody cares.

San Diego pay attention. If you wouldn't have scheduled Cal Poly, you folks would be ranked fourth.

BamKat
Ummm . . . Sam Houston's conf is really bad. .

So bad that the SLC has 2 teams in top 10.

Sammy94
November 3rd, 2016, 03:48 PM
Or the horrible STATS and Coach's polls. Never thought they (the selection committee) paid attention to those... guess I was wrong.

I won't mention that I wasn't.

UNHWildcat18
November 3rd, 2016, 03:49 PM

They don't want to see another road to frisco through fargo. Everyone but a bison fan is pretty over it. Just like people are sick of hearing about how awesome bama is.

Bison Fan in NW MN
Laughable that NDSU is #4 but 3 more weeks left.

Time to schedule 3 cupcakes to pad the win total.

DirtyDukes
Because JMU dropped 84 on UNH probably.

We definitely didn't drop 84 on UNH - F'N Hawks would have had a seizure if that was the case.

JMU WE SO GOOD

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 03:51 PM
We definitely didn't drop 84 on UNH - F'N Hawks would have had a seizure if that was the case.

JMU WE SO GOOD
Rhode Island. One of those tiny New England states. Close enough. xdrunkyx

dudeitsaid
November 3rd, 2016, 03:52 PM
You caught my sarcasm, right?
Weren't you quoting the committee. :p

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 03:56 PM
#Butt****ingNichols

Nice job committee.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 3rd, 2016, 03:56 PM
SHSU's SOS is 232/254...lol

If this happens to be the final rankings, it will be fun to go to JSU and curb stomp them twice in one year.

dudeitsaid
November 3rd, 2016, 03:57 PM
Yep, I've been watching ESPN guys talk about the FBS for now over an hour

Probably a good relative indicator of the amount of time spent considering the order of the top 10 committee rankings compares to the rigor behind the first CFP rankings...FCS will always be an afterthought to the national football market.

JSUSoutherner

If this happens to be the final rankings, it will be fun to go to JSU and curb stomp them twice in one year.
Nah. xthumbsupx

Schism55

Holy **** batman

penguinpower
November 3rd, 2016, 03:58 PM
Not objective in any manner. Unqualified politicians running it

mamberso
November 3rd, 2016, 04:00 PM
EWU has a win over a Top 25 FBS team, and only has lost in OT to the five-time defending champions...yet is #3? I'm speechless. I can't defend that at all.

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 04:03 PM
Semi-Finals predictions:

EWU vs. SHSU: Complete shootout. At least 100 combined points.

NDSU vs JSU: Whoever kicks a field goal first wins.

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 04:03 PM
EWU has a win over a Top 25 FBS team, and only has lost in OT to the five-time defending champions...yet is #3? I'm speechless. I can't defend that at all.

I agree. The biggest mistake is EWU not #1.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2016, 04:04 PM
How is there only one Missouri Valley team in this Top Ten?

mamberso

Or, it will be a hell of a lot easier for me to get tickets to Frisco this year.

Professor Chaos
Pretty clearly the message is EWU would've been better off losing to WSU and beating NDSU. Likewise NDSU would've been better off losing to Iowa and beating SDSU. Makes you xrotatehx

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2016, 04:05 PM
1. JSU- Should still be here in 3 weeks. they will go 3-0 in the next 3 games
2. SHS - Tough three weeks. Could they go 1-2 in the next three weeks? doubtful....but 2-1 is a real possibility.
3. EWU - Get past CP this week and it is a cruise to keep the 3 spot or even a 2 if SHS slips.
4. NDSU - They should will all 3, but have some work to do starting with YSU. They hold this spot.
5. JMU- Two tough ones left, but they get it done. Richmond can give them fits, but they get past this week.
6. Citadel- Come on Samford!!!! Assuming they beat Sam, the FBS exhibition should hurt....they keep theirs too.
7. Rich - they will be 2-1 in the next 3, so no seed this year.
8. UTC- Take care of Wofford, stay healthy at Bama, finish 1-1 and probably the #6 seed.
9. CSU - Dont get tripped up by a miracle from the God Squad...and you will slide into a seed.
10. CArk - beat SHS and gain a seed, just keep winning.

So here are my year end seeds
1-JSU
2-EWU
3-JMU
4-NDSU
5-CIT
6-UTC
7-CArk
8-SHS

Sorry Chucky, the shuffle was unkind.

CID1990

Let's wait until after this Saturday before wondering why El Cid is ranked #6.

BTW if we manage to win Sat, I'm pullin for the Spidahs!

UNIFanSince1983

Well NDSU has one close loss to a Top 25 SDSU team. Has wins over Iowa, #3 EWU, and #9 CSU. Yet they are 4th. Behind a team they beat. It is an odd poll to say the least.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 3rd, 2016, 04:06 PM
Holy **** batman

Yep!

3 weeks left so things can change but it is surprising.

OK Panhandle State must be a juggernaut comparable to a win at Iowa....lol

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2016, 04:06 PM
How is there only one Missouri Valley team in this Top Ten?

The Valley is down this year. The OOC struggles proved it.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2016, 04:08 PM
Before seeing this group of Top Ten, I'd have told you Lehigh's best chance at cracking this would be to win out and have North Dakota State lose twice. I don't feel that way anymore. I think that Lehigh would need Richmond or JMU to lose twice to have a chance, and that's assuming another MVFC team doesn't leap in there.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 04:09 PM
Hey did you guys enjoy the fun inter-conference match ups this year? I hope you taped them cause that **** is done for. Zero reason for a school to schedule any tough OOC games.

TheKingpin28
November 3rd, 2016, 04:09 PM
Time to schedule D2, NEC, and Pioneer teams only

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 04:11 PM
Hey did you guys enjoy the fun inter-conference match ups this year? I hope you taped them cause that **** is done for. Zero reason for a school to schedule any tough OOC games.
I guess we're boned next year since we have GT, UTC, and Liberty.

Bison Fan in NW MN

This here for Valley teams.

Bucs2016
NDSU has wins over 2 teams on the list.
The Citadel has a win over 1 team on the list.

None of the others have wins over anyone on the list. Yet, somehow, NDSU is 4 and The Citadel is 6.

Interesting...

I think Jax and CSU are both getting a lot of credit for beating Coastal. The committee seems to think CCU is a good win for both. But CCU is in FBS transition so they are almost forgotten.

Interesting ranking though.

Bison Fan in NW MN

All lot of NSIC teams in the area....lol

Sammy94
November 3rd, 2016, 04:12 PM
Pretty clearly the message is EWU would've been better off losing to WSU and beating NDSU. Likewise NDSU would've been better off losing to Iowa and beating SDSU. Makes you xrotatehx

I've always thought FBS and D2 wins or losses have no bearing with the committee.

smilo
November 3rd, 2016, 04:12 PM
This is how the FCS works?? Kind of stunned by the confusion. The care for WIU's SoS last year was the exception.

Sammy94
November 3rd, 2016, 04:13 PM

SEC has been doing it for years.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2016, 04:13 PM
To think.. if we beat Monmouth we'd be a Top 5 team

Bucs2016
November 3rd, 2016, 04:14 PM
This here for Valley teams.

I disagree a bit. CSU is 9th. Our lone quality win is Coastal. BUT I truly think they're giving us credit for taking the 1 time road trip to NDSU and taking the Champs to overtime. Had CSU instead opened with....say....Campbell and won...I don't think we'd be top 10 right now. I think CSU is being rewarded for scheduling that game instead of our usual OOC slate of some D2's, a FBS and maybe The Citadel.

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 04:14 PM
I've always thought FBS and D2 wins or losses have no bearing with the committee.
That was definitely not the case in 2010 when NDSU got in at 7-4 (4-4). Their only good win that year was B12 cellar dweller Kansas and had to be what convinced the committee to put them in.

I think it's beyond retarded to discount wins to FBS teams.

Hammerhead
November 3rd, 2016, 04:15 PM
I would put EWU at #1 and NDSU at #2.

Sammy94
November 3rd, 2016, 04:15 PM
I guess we're boned next year since we have GT, UTC, and Liberty.

Just win them, that is all that matters

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 04:17 PM
Just win them, that is all that matters
That's the plan.

Also, I just realized UTC is 8. I sure hope that holds. UTC in the quarterfinals and NDSU in the Semis. I'm giddy.

Bison56
November 3rd, 2016, 04:17 PM
I guess beating top 25 teams almost every week means nothing, but a close loss to one is devastating.xrotatehx

TheKingpin28
November 3rd, 2016, 04:18 PM
All lot of NSIC teams in the area....lol

IIRC Only 1 counts but I'd love to see both my uncle's alma matter, MSUM lose to the Bison in the dome.

geaux_sioux
November 3rd, 2016, 04:19 PM

You really want Jason Seahorn to pretend he knows anything about any of them? They only know which FBS teams they beat and that NDSU won 5 straight.

Bison Fan in NW MN
I would put EWU at #1 and NDSU at #2.

With a NDSU head/head win?

No way IMO

Bucs2016
1. JSU- Should still be here in 3 weeks. they will go 3-0 in the next 3 games
2. SHS - Tough three weeks. Could they go 1-2 in the next three weeks? doubtful....but 2-1 is a real possibility.
3. EWU - Get past CP this week and it is a cruise to keep the 3 spot or even a 2 if SHS slips.
4. NDSU - They should will all 3, but have some work to do starting with YSU. They hold this spot.
5. JMU- Two tough ones left, but they get it done. Richmond can give them fits, but they get past this week.
6. Citadel- Come on Samford!!!! Assuming they beat Sam, the FBS exhibition should hurt....they keep theirs too.
7. Rich - they will be 2-1 in the next 3, so no seed this year.
8. UTC- Take care of Wofford, stay healthy at Bama, finish 1-1 and probably the #6 seed.
9. CSU - Dont get tripped up by a miracle from the God Squad...and you will slide into a seed.
10. CArk - beat SHS and gain a seed, just keep winning.

So here are my year end seeds
1-JSU
2-EWU
3-JMU
4-NDSU
5-CIT
6-UTC
7-CArk
8-SHS

Sorry Chucky, the shuffle was unkind.

I'm actually hoping we (CSU) end up on the road at Chattanooga. Not because I think it'd be a win...but we haven't played you guys since Terrell Owens was there and I'd love to make a fun weekend trip out of it. I love East Tennessee. I'd probably head to Gatlinburg Thursday and Friday then weekend in Chattanooga. Would be a fun trip.

As a CSU fan....we might be the ONLY team in FCS who'd prefer to play a road game because it'd be more fun haha! I love my Alma mater and team i played for more than anything....but unless it's The Citadel....I'd rather play on the road. Our home games are so mediocre. As a player we loved going to Liberty, SC State, ETSU in their dome days. More fun than "The Dump".

mamberso
November 3rd, 2016, 04:20 PM
1. Jacksonville St
2. Sam Houston St
3. Eastern Washington
4. North Dakota St
5. James Madison
6. The Citadel
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. Charleston Southern
10. Central Arkansas

#1-#5 is definitely controversial. EWU and NDSU should be 1-2 in my opinion. You can make a strong argument for who is #1 between them. I would throw JSU in at #3 and SHSU at #4. But JMU could bump any of these teams down if they win out.

#6-#10 is interesting. The Citadel could bump a 1-5 team down with a win over Samford. And if they run the table, you gotta make a case for #1 for them. If Richmond beats JMU, do they sneak into the top 5? UTC looks like they are set somewhere between 6-10, unless Wofford gets them. Charleston Southern is probably stuck between 6-10. Central Arkansas clearly makes a case to move up with a win over SHSU. But what about Samford?

Bison Fan in NW MN
I guess beating top 25 teams almost every week means nothing, but a close loss to one is devastating.xrotatehx

NDSU has played 7 ranked teams so far.....

Professor Chaos
Only 1 counts but I'd love to see both my uncle's alma matter, MSUM lose to the Bison in the dome.
Actually, none of them count. The FCS Playoff handbook explicitly states having less than 6 D1 wins may (a.k.a. will) put you in danger of missing the playoffs and teams playing an all D1 schedule may be given greater consideration than those who don't. However, when they busted out the SRS they did account for D2 teams in that... but the SRS is a bigger mess than this ranking.

And I'm fairly sure NSIC teams don't play D1 games. It's a mega-conference so even their "OOC" games are just games against teams in the other division of the NSIC.

Trumpster
November 3rd, 2016, 04:21 PM
That was definitely not the case in 2010 when NDSU got in at 7-4 (4-4). Their only good win that year was B12 cellar dweller Kansas and had to be what convinced the committee to put them in.

I think it's beyond retarded to discount wins to FBS teams.

How much of the committee turns over every year? How many on the committee were there back in 2010?

Bucs2016
November 3rd, 2016, 04:24 PM
#1-#5 is definitely controversial. EWU and NDSU should be 1-2 in my opinion. You can make a strong argument for who is #1 between them. I would throw JSU in at #3 and SHSU at #4. But JMU could bump any of these teams down if they win out.

#6-#10 is interesting. The Citadel could bump a 1-5 team down with a win over Samford. And if they run the table, you gotta make a case for #1 for them. If Richmond beats JMU, do they sneak into the top 5? UTC looks like they are set somewhere between 6-10, unless Wofford gets them. Charleston Southern is probably stuck between 6-10. Central Arkansas clearly makes a case to move up with a win over SHSU. But what about Samford?

I'm required to despise the Citadel. But being honest they probably have the most well rounded schedule and are unbeaten. Not to mention their run stretches back to last year with a win over an SEC team, a playoff win over Coastal...and only losses were to CSU and a heart breaker @ Chattanooga

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 04:25 PM
How much of the committee turns over every year? How many on the committee were there back in 2010?
I'm fairly sure they serve "terms". 2 years I'm thinking??? I believe this is a completely new selection committee from last year.

Bison56
November 3rd, 2016, 04:25 PM
BISON IN JACKSONVILLE LETS GO!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't start rubbing on it yet, still a few weeks to go.

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 04:28 PM

What are we going to lose to SEMO? All we have to do is beat some basement teams.

I think if we win out the committee won't bump us down. However the Bison could move up fairly easily with a good win over YSU and if EWU or SHSU drop a game. But you are right. It's not over yet and we will see what happens.

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 04:28 PM
Everybody on another thread mocked me when I implied that the committee would take Frisco attendance into consideration when seeding.....well, whatcha think now?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 3rd, 2016, 04:33 PM
Everybody on another thread mocked me when I implied that the committee would take Frisco attendance into consideration when seeding.....well, whatcha think now?

Nonsense...NDSU brought more fans than SHSU both times...especially the 2nd game. Potential attendance has no bearing...

Trumpster

That the committee doesn't know what they are talking about.

Nickels
ROFL. Told ya.

clenz
November 3rd, 2016, 04:35 PM
Our new AD needs to be lighting Drake's, SEMO's, Butler's, Valpo's and Upper Iowa's phone lines up right the **** now.

Create a rotating H/H with those four. **** everyone else. Just rape non-scholly and OVC teams. That's all that matters.

Pay D2 Upper Iowa 50k or some **** to be the opening week sacrifice every year and then add in Drake with a permanent H/H. Never leave the state of Iowa until conference play (we are contracted with Iowa State 7 times over the next 10 seasons and Iowa for one of them). Get Kansas, Kansas State or someone like that for the other two.

Never leave a 6 hour radius of Cedar Falls.

**** it.

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 04:37 PM
Nonsense...NDSU brought more fans than SHSU both times...especially the 2nd game. Potential attendance has no bearing...

I know. They want full attendance and for any team other than NDSU to sell their full allotment. They know the Bison will sell it out, but they are hedging their bets with JSU and SHSU. They are the only ones of the top tier that are likely to bring a significant fanbase. EWU coming to Huntsville? They had to put EWU in the top 4 but they got the worst draw because they are not going to travel well. UCA will bring the fans too because of proximity. But it sets up as 3 of the 4 best draws to the game in the top four, with the least likely to bring fans have the worst draw.

ngineer
November 3rd, 2016, 04:39 PM
I think SHSU is ranked too high

Fully agree. I question CAU as well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 3rd, 2016, 04:40 PM
I know. They want full attendance and for any team other than NDSU to sell their full allotment. They know the Bison will sell it out, but they are hedging their bets with JSU and SHSU. They are the only ones of the top tier that are likely to bring a significant fanbase. EWU coming to Huntsville? They had to put EWU in the top 4 but they got the worst draw because they are not going to travel well. UCA will bring the fans too because of proximity. But it sets up as 3 of the 4 best draws to the game in the top four, with the least likely to bring fans have the worst draw.

SHSU would draw well but any other team besides NDSU will not IMO, including JSU

JSU had maybe 3K last year....would USA even bring that?

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 04:40 PM

Because you won the semifinal the night before SHSU played and bought up all the tickets.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 3rd, 2016, 04:41 PM
SHSU would draw well but any other team besides NDSU will not IMO, including JSU

Dang phone....UCA not usa

MacThor
November 3rd, 2016, 04:43 PM

Or Richmond better off losing to UVa and beating Stony Brook.

Sammy94
November 3rd, 2016, 04:43 PM

Close wins maybe also in The Citadel's case

Trumpster
November 3rd, 2016, 04:45 PM
Our new AD needs to be lighting Drake's, SEMO's, Butler's, Valpo's and Upper Iowa's phone lines up right the **** now.

Create a rotating H/H with those four. **** everyone else. Just rape non-scholly and OVC teams. That's all that matters.

Pay D2 Upper Iowa 50k or some **** to be the opening week sacrifice every year and then add in Drake with a permanent H/H. Never leave the state of Iowa until conference play (we are contracted with Iowa State 7 times over the next 10 seasons and Iowa for one of them). Get Kansas, Kansas State or someone like that for the other two.

Never leave a 6 hour radius of Cedar Falls.

**** it.

http://media.riffsy.com/images/fff7aaac4b6bbb78630df177f418a40c/raw

Sammy94
November 3rd, 2016, 04:46 PM

And both will need to win playoff games first.......

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 04:46 PM
What are we going to lose to SEMO? All we have to do is beat some basement teams.

I think if we win out the committee won't bump us down. However the Bison could move up fairly easily with a good win over YSU and if EWU or SHSU drop a game. But you are right. It's not over yet and we will see what happens.
Alright, might as well get the argument started. Why wouldn't they bump JSU down if both they and NDSU win out?

JSU's best win would be CCU and their second best win would either be Liberty or EIU. I'd contend that NDSU already has 3 wins (Iowa, EWU, and CSU) that are better than CCU and would have 2 additional wins (WIU and YSU) that are better than JSU's second best win. NDSU would also have an extra D1 win with a much stronger SOS. JSU's argument, and only argument that I can see, would be they have 0 FCS losses to NDSU's 1. To me (admittedly being a homer) that's a lot of weight on the NDSU side of that pendulum.

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 04:47 PM

Maybe if we had been able to get tickets. I think we could get a solid 10,000 in Frisco.

bostonspider
November 3rd, 2016, 04:51 PM
I would think that if UR beats JMU this weekend, they would pop up to the #5 spot, but who knows.

BadlandsGrizFan
November 3rd, 2016, 04:52 PM
Was hoping to see UND slip into the top 10, but didn't figure they would. Really can't complain with the teams in there - although as pointed out numerous times the order with which they're in there is odd.

Well basing it off of how they ranekd these teams...and SOS obviously doesnt mean ****...Im actually UND isnt on this list....they have as good as resume as 5-6 of those teams on there.

Drblankstare
November 3rd, 2016, 04:52 PM
Baffling

BadlandsGrizFan
November 3rd, 2016, 04:53 PM
Maybe if we had been able to get tickets. I think we could get a solid 10,000 in Frisco.

You dont think either of the Montanas or South Dakota State would draw well??? UNI???

Or were you just refering to the current top 10?

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 04:54 PM
Alright, might as well get the argument started. Why wouldn't they bump JSU down?

JSU's best win would be CCU and their second best win would either be Liberty or EIU. I'd contend that NDSU already has 3 wins (Iowa, EWU, and CSU) that are better than CCU and 2 additional wins (WIU and YSU) that are better than JSU's second win. NDSU would also have an extra D1 win. JSU's argument would be they have 0 FCS losses. To me (admittedly being a homer) that's a lot of weight on the NDSU side of that pendulum.
Honestly I don't disagree. I was certain EWU and NDSU would be above us.

However, the bulk of both our schedules are done. Our good wins were taken into account in this ranking and barring losses our resumes won't change much.

The resume for NDSU and JSU will look pretty much the same as they do now. SEMO, Murray, and UTM won't add anything and if we win handidly I don't see us being penalized for it.

In my opinion YSU isn't enough to catapault NDSU into the 1 seed considering Iowa and EWU haven't already put them there.

7yearkat
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/b60ba86ab79e0c3bd429826da2650e17.jpg

No_Skill
Two words. Margin of Victory.

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 04:55 PM
You dont think either of the Montanas or South Dakota State would draw well??? UNI???

I was just referring to us and the comment of us only having 3,000 or so. I'm sure others would draw well.

Sammy94
November 3rd, 2016, 04:56 PM
The meltdown continues...........

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 04:58 PM

I think UCA would bring a pretty good crowd. They are fairly close to Frisco. Was the JSU turnout more a product of NDSU fans buying up the majority of tickets before the semis were complete?

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 04:59 PM
Honestly I don't disagree. I was certain EWU and NDSU would be above us.

However, the bulk of both our schedules are done. Our good wins were taken into account in this ranking and barring losses our resumes won't change much.

The resume for NDSU and JSU will look pretty much the same as they do now. SEMO, Murray, and UTM won't add anything and if we win handidly I don't see us being penalized for it.

In my opinion YSU isn't enough to catapault NDSU into the 1 seed considering Iowa and EWU haven't already put them there.
That's the thing right there, I'd guess (or maybe hope is more appropriate) that this committee is small enough and connected enough that they're not going to slot vote a la the STATS and Coach's polls. This was their first crack at it. Voting in the AGS poll I know that the first few ballots of the year are a mess. We'll find out with next week's rankings (and EWU, NDSU, JMU, The Citadel, and Richmond all have games against high quality opponents) but I wouldn't be shocked to see some significant shuffling.

Then again, I was fairly certain EWU and NDSU would be 1/2 in some order in their rankings today and I was wrong about that so what do I know?

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 05:02 PM
Alright, might as well get the argument started. Why wouldn't they bump JSU down if both they and NDSU win out?

JSU's best win would be CCU and their second best win would either be Liberty or EIU. I'd contend that NDSU already has 3 wins (Iowa, EWU, and CSU) that are better than CCU and would have 2 additional wins (WIU and YSU) that are better than JSU's second best win. NDSU would also have an extra D1 win with a much stronger SOS. JSU's argument, and only argument that I can see, would be they have 0 FCS losses to NDSU's 1. To me (admittedly being a homer) that's a lot of weight on the NDSU side of that pendulum.

We have two wins vs. Top 10 teams (by the committee) and an FBS win. Eastern Washington has a top 25 FBS win plus a top 25 victory. JSU has Coastal and Sammy doesn't have ****. How much more weight you want to put on the one side of the pendulum? The damn pendulum is broken.

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 05:02 PM
That's the thing right there, I'd guess (or maybe hope is more appropriate) that this committee is small enough and connected enough that they're not going to slot vote a la the STATS and Coach's polls. This was their first crack at it. Voting the AGS poll I know that the first few ballots of the year are a mess. We'll find out next week (and EWU, NDSU, JMU, The Citadel, and Richmond all have games against high quality opponents) but I wouldn't be shocked to see some significant shuffling.

Then again, I was fairly certain EWU and NDSU would be 1/2 in some order in their rankings today and I was wrong about that so what do I know?

Not to brag, but I also predicted that the committee would likely use the STATS and Coaches' poll AT LEAST AS A POINT OF REFERENCE to begin deliberations. It seems that is what happened.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. If that was the case NDSU would have been a top 3 team. If you were doing it for attendance then NDSU is the main one to try to give a road to Frisco since they already have bought most of the tickets.

Well basing it off of how they ranekd these teams...and SOS obviously doesnt mean ****...Im actually UND isnt on this list....they have as good as resume as 5-6 of those teams on there.
Yeah, you can tell they are punishing teams with a "bad" loss much more severely than they are rewarding "good" wins. I can see zero reason for Chatty or UCA to be over UND.

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 05:05 PM
Not to brag, but I also predicted that the committee would likely use the STATS and Coaches' poll AT LEAST AS A POINT OF REFERENCE to begin deliberations. It seems that is what happened.
You could very well be right but, again, this their first crack at the rankings for this year. I don't recall if it was on the Wedge or elsewhere but I remember the playoff selection committee chair saying last year that the committee had weekly teleconferences over the last few weeks to discuss the field and the seeds and had their own ongoing poll. It could very well be that this has always been their MO to align with the national polls at this point in the process and this is just the first time we've seen it in action but the evidence is against them aligning this directly with the national polls by the time the field is set if you go back and look at previous years.

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 05:07 PM
That's the thing right there, I'd guess (or maybe hope is more appropriate) that this committee is small enough and connected enough that they're not going to slot vote a la the STATS and Coach's polls. This was their first crack at it. Voting in the AGS poll I know that the first few ballots of the year are a mess. We'll find out with next week's rankings (and EWU, NDSU, JMU, The Citadel, and Richmond all have games against high quality opponents) but I wouldn't be shocked to see some significant shuffling.

They can slot vote as much as they want as far as I'm concerned. :D

But yeah, like you said the scale is way in NDSU's favors as far as body of work is concerned and if NDSU seas going to hop JSU they would have done it by now. I would love to hear the committee's reasoning.

However I'm not going to complain about the seeding. Not at all. xnodx

Was the JSU turnout more a product of NDSU fans buying up the majority of tickets before the semis were complete?
Yeah, pretty much.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 05:09 PM
You could very well be right but, again, this their first crack at the rankings for this year. I don't recall if it was on the Wedge or elsewhere but I remember the playoff selection committee chair saying last year that the committee had weekly teleconferences over the last few weeks to discuss the field and the seeds and had their own ongoing poll. It could very well be that this has always been their MO to align with the national polls at this point in the process and this is just the first time we've seen it in action but the evidence is against them aligning this directly with the national polls by the time the field is set if you go back and look at previous years.
Didn't they also just say that they would put some heavy weight into SOS in an interview just this week? I think its fair to assume that they lie their ****ing asses off in these interviews to sound good.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 3rd, 2016, 05:10 PM

Montana would probably bring a decent crowd but not those other teams IMO.

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2016, 05:11 PM
But what about Samford?

Good darn question. Samford's only loss to an FCS Team is to #8 and in their only other loss, they pushed an FBS P5 SEC Team to the wire.

Oh, and they BEAT #10 head-to-head!

Clearly, the Committee has DECIDED that they could not possibly rank 3 SoCon Teams in the Top 10, regardless of Wins/Losses/SoS/OOC Record, etc. It's an OUTRAGE!

They need to retract this immediately and reissue it with Samford in there at #9 or #10...

OR...

the Boys on the Battery are gonna load up their cannons and lead that SOUTHERN Conference Secession from the FCS that we've been planning!

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 05:13 PM

But yeah, like you said the scale is way in NDSU's favors as far as body of work is concerned and if NDSU seas going to hop JSU they would have done it by now. I would love to hear the committee's reasoning.
Well, the committee chair is going to be on two Fargo sports radio shows over the next 48 hours and I'm sure that topic will come up so we'll see what he says.

Didn't they also just say that they would put some heavy weight into SOS in an interview just this week? I think its fair to assume that they lie their ****ing asses off in these interviews to sound good.
Also true. He said that to Kolpack and Izzo earlier this week and he'll be on their show again Saturday morning. I hope they grill him about it because it sure doesn't seem his committee's actions are backing up his words.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 05:15 PM
Well, the committee chair is going to be on two Fargo sports radio shows over the next 48 hours and I'm sure that topic will come up so we'll see what he says.
Do you have the time for those?

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 05:19 PM
Do you have the time for those?
He'll be on The Insiders on AM 1660 tomorrow at noon according to Jeremy Jorgenson. Kolpack & Izzo goes from 9-11AM Saturday morning on AM 970. Haven't heard when he'll be on yet just that he will be on.

Gil Dobie
November 3rd, 2016, 05:24 PM
The game is already sold out, so the committee doesn't care about attendance this year.

Catatonic
November 3rd, 2016, 05:27 PM
1. Jacksonville St
2. Sam Houston St
3. Eastern Washington
4. North Dakota St
5. James Madison
6. The Citadel
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. Charleston Southern
10. Central Arkansas

My AGS top 10 poll this week.

1: Sam Houston State Bearkats
2: North Dakota State Bison
3: Eastern Washington Eagles
4: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
5: The Citadel Bulldogs
6: Richmond Spiders
7: James Madison Dukes
8: Chattanooga Mocs
9: Charleston Southern Buccaneers
10: Central Arkansas Bears

Big_Fan
November 3rd, 2016, 05:29 PM
I have been telling you that but you don't listen . A loss hurts you more than a win helps you.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 05:33 PM
Does everybody realize with the strength of the Southland this year that having two of the teams in the top 10 is like if the FBS had two Sunbelt teams in the top ten? Is there a single person who would agree with that? Like one person who could say with a straight face that would be ok?

Panther88
November 3rd, 2016, 05:33 PM
We are the trailblazers...:D

lol funny lol :D

CockyGeek
November 3rd, 2016, 05:45 PM
Barring some catastrophic 6-5 season, NDSU should get the #1 seed hypothetically.

We tried really hard to get a good OOC schedule. We had to settle for UNA because we lost a conference game and Furman cancelled their game this year.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

X-Factor
November 3rd, 2016, 05:50 PM

However I'm not going to complain about the seeding. Not at all. xnodx

Yeah, pretty much.

I'll lean on the conspiracy theory that the committee is doing everything they can to avoid another semi in Fargo. Of course, the obvious problem with that conspiracy is they did the same thing to EWU. So alas, I can't make any sense of it! I would prefer they use a published computer ranking system to slot the top teams, thereby removing the obvious selection bias.

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 05:50 PM

😃😈

"I'll not be pawed at. I have not yet begun to defile myself"

TheValleyRaider
November 3rd, 2016, 05:55 PM

Aren't members of the selection committee representatives from the schools and conferences? The kind of people who vote (or are connected to those who vote) in the Coaches Poll?

At that point, it wouldn't be that they're referencing the poll, but that the poll already reflects some of their thinking xtwocentsx

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 05:55 PM

how many road games has NDSU lost the last 5 years? Why would one more in the playoffs make that much of a difference to a 5X champ?

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 05:59 PM
So bad that the SLC has 2 teams in top 10.

lololol

"I may already be inside you"

Bisonator
November 3rd, 2016, 06:01 PM
What a ****ing joke. I'm hoping our AD is on the phone with EWU's AD to get next years game cancelled. Hell it would help both teams to dump that game and schedule D2's! If this ends up the seeding they just **** on the entire subdivision and any chance at improving OOC competition. Not sure how these brain dead idiots get on these committee's but they all need to be held to the fire. Yet another reason to look at an FBS move.

CappinHard
November 3rd, 2016, 06:01 PM
how many road games has NDSU lost the last 5 years? Why would one more in the playoffs make that much of a difference to a 5X champ?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/79/79cc3e6b891567444ebc7822548e277d16eb0c94870887d3c5 915223c859d9f7.jpg

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 06:06 PM

Me thinks eventually there will be no choice.

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 06:09 PM
Ok Ok. OLD MK will give you his Top 4 just for ****s and grins.

1. EWU
2. NDSU
3. SHSU
4. JSU

JSU has not impressed anyone this year. They are good, but had really their first easy win.

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 06:13 PM
ROFL. Told ya.

💀💀💀

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 06:16 PM
Because you won the semifinal the night before SHSU played and bought up all the tickets.

Great Point!

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 06:16 PM
Ok Ok. OLD MK will give you his Top 4 just for ****s and grins.

1. EWU
2. NDSU
3. SHSU
4. JSU

JSU has not impressed anyone this year. They are good, but had really their first easy win.

You're such a try hard. :D

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 06:17 PM

That doesn't explain JSU at #1

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 06:21 PM
Does everybody realize with the strength of the Southland this year that having two of the teams in the top 10 is like if the FBS had two Sunbelt teams in the top ten? Is there a single person who would agree with that? Like one person who could say with a straight face that would be ok?

Does the sunbelt representative routinely knock off every other conference champ other than the SEC? I thought not. You are a wonderful arse hole, but you are turrible at analogies.

clenz
November 3rd, 2016, 06:31 PM
Does the sunbelt representative routinely knock off every other conference champ other than the SEC? I thought not. You are a wonderful arse hole, but you are turrible at analogies.

Like when #6 mcneese state traveled to UNI and got beat 41-6 by a UNI team that finished 5-6?

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 06:33 PM

OK how about this. Hypothetical situation. Lets say Boise didn't lose last weekend. Lets say they went undefeated. Would you agree with them being in the playoff over a one loss Ohio St or a Clemson?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 3rd, 2016, 06:35 PM

Not many. But why go on the road when the team deserves to play at home?

If NDSU wins out at 10-1, they deserve a #1 or #2 seed. No team would have a resume like the Bison's except maybe EWU....NDSU won the head/head.

This ranking is a joke but there are 3 more games left.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 06:35 PM
Let me add I saw your personal rankings, and I believe that SHSU and JSU should get a seed, but I am using them to show the committees thought process and how they decided the top ten and how wrong it is IMHO. Why is JSU over the Citadel? Seriously. El Cid has a better win than JSU and have played a tougher schedule. I don't understand it.

clenz
November 3rd, 2016, 06:40 PM
OK how about this. Hypothetical situation. Lets say Boise didn't lose last weekend. Lets say they went undefeated. Would you agree with them being in the playoff over a one loss Ohio St or a Clemson?

Still applicable.

1 loss Boise or OSUb with losses to Penn State and Michigan.

Or 1 loss Boise or 1 loss Michigan who only lost too OSU.

melloware13
November 3rd, 2016, 06:41 PM
Laughable that NDSU is #4 but 3 more weeks left.

Time to schedule 3 cupcakes to pad the win total.

You did schedule a series with Delaware.

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 06:42 PM

What no one on here's wants to do is rank the performance vs the SOS. Yes SHSU SOS is weak but their dominance against that weak schedule is what the committee apparently looks at. Oh well you will enjoy visiting Huntsville for the playoffs better work out in some humidity before then.

clenz
November 3rd, 2016, 06:45 PM
What no one on here's wants to do is rank the performance vs the SOS. Yes SHSU SOS is weak but their dominance against that weak schedule is what the committee apparently looks at. Oh well you will enjoy visiting Huntsville for the playoffs better work out in some humidity before then.

NDSU beat EWU, Charleston Southern and FBS Iowa.

SHSU beat a 2 win D2 team

Sure. Let's talk about it

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2016, 06:46 PM
I think it would have been better if the committee kept this to themselves.

NDB
November 3rd, 2016, 06:46 PM

Yes.Greatprogram.RanupthescoreonIncarnateWord.

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 06:48 PM
Like when #6 mcneese state traveled to UNI and got beat 41-6 by a UNI team that finished 5-6?
No more like when a 16th ranked SHSU wen to a 5th ranked Montana State and well you know kicked their arse before doing to EWU and well you know kicking their arse.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but impressively

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2016, 06:48 PM
These rankings are a complete disgrace. FBS does it better, I wish the NCAA had nothing to do with the FCS as well. Just completely cluessless, if you are going to rank a team for being unbeaten, The Citadel should be #1.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 3rd, 2016, 06:49 PM

Humidity is no problem for me, I spend 1/2 the year in Kountze, TX not far from Huntsville.

We'll see how good SHSU is when/if they play a good defense like NDSUs.

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 06:49 PM

Why uni is irrelevant

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 06:51 PM
Humidity is no problem for me, I spend 1/2 the year in Kountze, TX not far from Huntsville.

Ok is that the one you will roll out next week?

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 06:52 PM
Yes.Greatprogram.RanupthescoreonIncarnateWord.
Not really

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 06:54 PM
No more like when a 16th ranked SHSU wen to a 5th ranked Montana State and well you know kicked their arse before doing to EWU and well you know kicking their arse.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but impressively
Please enlighten me on what is impressive about beating a team that offers half as many scholarships as you do by a bunch?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 3rd, 2016, 06:56 PM

OK Panhandle State and TX Southern must be better wins than NDSU's......

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2016, 06:59 PM

that
is
three!!!

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 07:05 PM
Please enlighten me on what is impressive about beating a team that offers half as many scholarships as you do by a bunch?
Well it's better than losing to one, which we have done in the past. Other than that I got nothing but some good wine. I just think it's funny how all the experts on here completely missed the committee and earlier when I said that this was shaping up just like 2011 everyone acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. Everyone on here including you would have seeded the 2011 team 8th when the field was down to 8 teams. Some people never learn. Oh well there's a lot of football left to play hope you enjoy as much as I will.

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 07:06 PM
OK Panhandle State and TX Southern must be better wins than NDSU's......
MK tried to tell you

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 07:08 PM
Here's what I don't get with the margin-of-victory argument. Sagarin's computer rating, as I understand it, is based completely on scoring margin so, for instance, if Sagarin's model favors Team X to beat Team Y by 50 and Team X only wins by 30 that win actually hurts Team X in his model going forward.

Having said that, the margin of victory knock on NDSU is they haven't been winning as convincingly as some think they should be yet Sagarin's model rates them 21 spots (or 5.34 points) higher than EWU, 30 spots (or 7.86 points) higher than JSU, and 48 spots (or 11.31 points) higher than SHSU. I just don't see how the margin of victory argument can hold water in this case for schedules that are so vastly different in strength. If there were one or more common opponents then I agree MOV can be a valid consideration for those games against common opponents but that's not the case here (except for both EWU and NDSU playing UNI).

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 07:19 PM

Another bad example, everyone knows McSheet sucks at playoffs.

No_Skill
November 3rd, 2016, 07:20 PM
that
is
three!!!

Inside joke.

Red & Black
November 3rd, 2016, 07:20 PM

Yep, pretty sad. The committee should be encouraging those type of matchups. Good for FCS football, and seemingly, makes playoff selection more cut and dry. My top 4 would be.

1) NDSU (I cannot justify putting EWU ahead of a team that beat them). Also, P5 win and plays in a tough conference.
2) EWU (P5 win over a team that's now in the AP Top 25)
3) JSU
4) SHSU

clenz
November 3rd, 2016, 07:22 PM
Another bad example, everyone knows McSheet sucks at playoffs.

That wasn't playoffs. That was a regular season game.

Mcneese went 10-2 that year and only 1 conference loss.

That UNI team finished 7-5 (I had the record wrong) and 3-5 in MVFC play.

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 07:22 PM
that
is
three!!!

hahahahahhah.

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 07:23 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/dba6254e1bf9c55d96fc7553cbc795f4.jpg

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2016, 07:23 PM

That is what happens when you have football people making decisions instead of clueless ADs.

dgtw
November 3rd, 2016, 07:24 PM
Semi-Finals predictions:

EWU vs. SHSU: Complete shootout. At least 100 combined points.

NDSU vs JSU: Whoever kicks a field goal first wins.

So you think we lose?

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 07:25 PM
I think everyone is missing the true tragedy that has resulted from this ranking.

The sheer number of puppies that have been kicked mercilessly all across the the state of North Dakota. It's a damn shame.

clenz
November 3rd, 2016, 07:26 PM
Like, do people understand that SDSU could legitimately argue "of we'd have only played one more Pioneer league team we'd be top 10 right now" and be right?

Do people understand how damn stupid that is? A pioneer league win would push them over the top.

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 07:27 PM
Well it's better than losing to one, which we have done in the past. Other than that I got nothing but some good wine. I just think it's funny how all the experts on here completely missed the committee and earlier when I said that this was shaping up just like 2011 everyone acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. Everyone on here including you would have seeded the 2011 team 8th when the field was down to 8 teams. Some people never learn. Oh well there's a lot of football left to play hope you enjoy as much as I will.

Your strength of schedule was 27th in '11. This year it's 85th. That's the difference.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2016, 07:32 PM
To think.. if we beat Monmouth we'd be a Top 5 team

Where was this committee in 2012? Lehigh might have been a seed even at 10-1 with a marginal at best SOS. Had Lehigh not puked on themselves during the first half of the Monmouth game I think they would be in the Top 10 right now based on the current ranking.

SOS should matter but it's not the end all be all imo due how difficult it is to schedule in FCS (differing # of conference games, $$ issues, FBS games, D2 games etc) and the fact you can't guarantee who will be good and who won't be.

No_Skill
November 3rd, 2016, 07:34 PM
I wonder if NDSU would be ranked higher had we missed the winning field goal at Iowa and successfully defended the go ahead TD vs SDSU.

JaxSinfonian
November 3rd, 2016, 07:36 PM
My top 4 would be.

1) NDSU (I cannot justify putting EWU ahead of a team that beat them). Also, P5 win and plays in a tough conference.
2) EWU (P5 win over a team that's now in the AP Top 25)
3) JSU
4) SHSU

Replace the Kats with the Citadel here, and I'd endorse it. The Bulldogs have the same record against tougher competition. If Sam Houston survives the remainder of the season unscathed I might be able to get behind this, though.

BEAR
November 3rd, 2016, 07:39 PM
Bears keep winning and ranking or not it wil take care of itself. Calm down people. xthumbsupx

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2016, 07:41 PM
Why is The Citadel ranked where they are? It is one thing that I can't grasp with these rankings. They are undefeated against a much tougher schedule then SHSU.

If you are going to rank the teams this moronically, at least follow through with your stupidity and put NDSU 5th and move The Citadel up to #1.

F'N Hawks
November 3rd, 2016, 07:45 PM
I wonder if NDSU would be ranked higher had we missed the winning field goal at Iowa and successfully defended the go ahead TD vs SDSU.

Funny you say that. Pretty sure we came to the conclusion that if UND had lost to Wyoming and beat Idaho State they would have made the playoffs last year. You may be right.

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 07:46 PM
Bears keep winning and ranking or not it wil take care of itself. Calm down people. xthumbsupx

UCAs defense looks very tough. I've got the Bears higher than Sam in my poll. I think they win the Southland. What's crazy is even if the Bearkat lose to the only decent team on their schedule this committee will still have them in the seeds.

Bisonator
November 3rd, 2016, 07:59 PM
JSU's opponents are a combined 32-31
SHSU's opponents are a combined 21-45
EWU's opponents are a combined 34-33
NDSU's opponents are a combined 39-25

SOS is meaningless to the committee. I think the MVFC needs to immediately invite the College of Faith. :D

7yearkat
November 3rd, 2016, 08:03 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/6164b47a9a8e6328ad305ae9e48eef87.jpg

7yearkat
November 3rd, 2016, 08:08 PM
These rankings are a complete disgrace. FBS does it better, I wish the NCAA had nothing to do with the FCS as well. Just completely cluessless, if you are going to rank a team for being unbeaten, The Citadel should be #1.

We should just let Bisonville vote on the bracket and all fall in line. Clearly they're smarter than everyone else.

BEAR
November 3rd, 2016, 08:09 PM
UCAs defense looks very tough. I've got the Bears higher than Sam in my poll. I think they win the Southland. What's crazy is even if the Bearkat lose to the only decent team on their schedule this committee will still have them in the seeds.

I will admit even with UCA losing 30 players last year they are doing great for where they should be. The defense is legit. I've said it before and posters here have said that UCA just has to keep winning and it will work itself out. Can UCA beat Sam? I want to say yes but our offense is taking too much time to get started. Do that to Sammy and its over early. Our only loss came to a team we statistically beat that actually ended up being a really good team. We win road games by 35 points. We've got an FBS win. Our defense is one of the best in the nation. But i'm glad we lost to Samford early. It woke up the team. I don't know why we are ranked at #10 but the knowledge base on this site has us at #11.

I'm just going to go enjoy the next game at SFA. As for the travel if the crowd, if its a championship game in Frisco We'll have 3k there. Pig fans jump on the bandwagon of winning teams. Its pathetic.

Nickels
November 3rd, 2016, 08:10 PM

UCA D>NDSU D

We'll know soon.

- - - Updated - - -

This.

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 08:14 PM
That wasn't playoffs. That was a regular season game.

Mcneese went 10-2 that year and only 1 conference loss.

That UNI team finished 7-5 (I had the record wrong) and 3-5 in MVFC play.

Ok. confused the most recent playoff game that sfa had there.

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2016, 08:15 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/6164b47a9a8e6328ad305ae9e48eef87.jpg

SHSU 8
USD 1
CSU 1

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 08:15 PM
We should just let Bisonville vote on the bracket and all fall in line. Clearly they're smarter than everyone else.

I'm sure you haven't noticed but there's been SHSU and JSU fans in this thread already say that EWU and NDSU should be the top two seeds.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 08:17 PM

Hey Rob where we at on that count?

FargoBison

Oh look, a new class of Novembrists are arriving to talk smack. You act like I would be complaining if NDSU was anything but #1. I only have an issue with one team and that is the team that plays nobody and talks ****.

Pestoso
Why do i get the feeling that even if Sam's SOS was equal to that of NDSU, and were still undefeated, most on here would still think Sam was ranked too high?

The hate is strong around here.

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2016, 08:18 PM

It's been a busy few days, but I think I've got a correct count.

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2016, 08:19 PM
Why do i get the feeling that even if Sam's SOS was equal to that of NDSU, and were still undefeated, most on here would still think Sam was ranked too high?

JFC

SHSU 9
USD 1
CSU 1

Also, what a terrible start to being a member of the board. Such an asinine statement.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 08:21 PM

Hey, how bout you go and start over instead of acting like a baby back bitch xlolx

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 08:22 PM

Don't forget 7 year kitten xlolx coming in strong with the crying Jordan xlolx

Pestoso
November 3rd, 2016, 08:23 PM
Censorship... about as American as apple pie on this site.

Pestoso
November 3rd, 2016, 08:25 PM
Hey, how bout you go and start over instead of acting like a baby back bitch xlolx

Just making an observation. Thanks for the warm welcome

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 08:25 PM
Just making an observation. Thanks for the warm welcome
So let's hear your argument then for SHSU at #2. Tell us why they deserve the "love" from the committee.

Pestoso
November 3rd, 2016, 08:26 PM
JFC

SHSU 9
USD 1
CSU 1

Also, what a terrible start to being a member of the board. Such an asinine statement.

warm greetings to you too, sir

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 08:26 PM
Why is The Citadel ranked where they are? It is one thing that I can't grasp with these rankings. They are undefeated against a much tougher schedule then SHSU.

If you are going to rank the teams this moronically, at least follow through with your stupidity and put NDSU 5th and move The Citadel up to #1.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/bb4d05d980912ded4da62f541dc29210.png

muuuuahhahahah. "much tougher"". riiiiiiggt. North Greenville D2 38-14? Really? 5 point win over a 2 win Furman?? Really?

The Briscoe inferno would drop 75 on those teams if he played a full 4 qtrs. 55-65 if he played 2.

X-Factor
November 3rd, 2016, 08:27 PM
So...watching this Lamar/Nichols game. I don't doubt that SHSU is way above this, but wow this is some terrible football.

7yearkat
November 3rd, 2016, 08:27 PM
Don't forget 7 year kitten xlolx coming in strong with the crying Jordan xlolx

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/ddb8db1036dce7ce083e2036346aa3a5.jpg

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2016, 08:28 PM
warm greetings to you too, sir

I warmly greet those who deserve it. Not whiners or those slangin their dick around.

Why can't you all be as cool as my dude, Serpentor?

Pestoso
November 3rd, 2016, 08:29 PM
So let's hear your argument then for SHSU at #2. Tell us why the deserve they "love" from the committee.

No argument for or against. Just making an observation based on what i have read.

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2016, 08:30 PM
No argument for or against. Just making an observation based on what i have read.

You can't read then. Plenty of people giving EWU and The Citadel props. No reason SHSU wouldn't be the same if they played somebody.

Pestoso
November 3rd, 2016, 08:30 PM
I warmly greet those who deserve it. Not whiners or those slangin their dick around.

Why can't you all be as cool as my dude, Serpentor?

I'm not whining or complaining or "slanging" anything around... just making a comment based on posts I have read.

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2016, 08:32 PM
1. Jacksonville St
2. Sam Houston St
3. Eastern Washington
4. North Dakota St
5. James Madison
6. The Citadel
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. Charleston Southern
10. Central Arkansas

xthumbsupx

Good to see the committee has been watching actual performance instead of acting like a bunch of inbred, circle jerk robots.

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2016, 08:34 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/bb4d05d980912ded4da62f541dc29210.png

muuuuahhahahah. "much tougher"". riiiiiiggt. North Greenville D2 38-14? Really? 5 point win over a 2 win Furman?? Really?

The Briscoe inferno would drop 75 on those teams if he played a full 4 qtrs. 55-65 if he played 2.

Well something called Incarnate Word didn't roll up a 50 spot on their defense last time I checked.

I watched Furman play Michigan State tough, they are capable of sneaking up on a team.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 08:34 PM
Censorship... about as American as apple pie on this site.

Censorship? Nah we just expect somebody to have a backbone and be able to back up their bull**** accusations. Not many people here have any reason to "hate" SHSU but they do have pretty solid reason to loudly question their ranking. They have the #2 spot right now so it will be much discussed. Add to it all the SHSU guys who came over here in a coordinated effort to troll the board what do you expect. Put up or shut up.

Nickels
November 3rd, 2016, 08:36 PM
xthumbsupx

Good to see the committee has been watching actual performance instead of acting like a bunch of inbred, circle jerk robots.

Exactly. The eye test goes a long way but most here haven't watched a single game out of the MVFC or BSC yet they anoint themselves FCS experts.

Nickels
November 3rd, 2016, 08:37 PM
Well something called Incarnate Word didn't roll up a 50 spot on their defense last time I checked.

I watched Furman play Michigan State tough, they are capable of sneaking up on a team.

Tell us more box score extraordinaire.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 08:37 PM
Exactly. The eye test goes a long way but most here haven't watched a single game out of the MVFC or BSC yet they anoint themselves FCS experts.

Oh know that for a fact do ya bitch boy?

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 08:38 PM
The majority of people I've seen throw their own rankings out there have put SHSU around the #4/#5 range. How that is considered "hate" is beyond me. What I hate is the fact that it looks like the playoff selection committee didn't take this first ranking seriously. I'd hate to see that continue throughout the rest of their rankings. If that's hating on JSU and SHSU because I think they're the main beneficiaries of it so be it I guess.

This is an FCS Discussion board and I'm interested in hearing discussion that debate the credibility, or lack thereof, of these rankings. I don't blame JSU or SHSU fans one bit for just shrugging their shoulders and saying "The rankings are what they are right now, I won't apologize for it and I'm sure not going to complain about it". Just understand that these rankings will be critiqued in much greater detail than a regular poll would be because, unlike the polls, these actually mean something. If your team is at or near the top of them expect that they're going to have the merits of their season gone over with a fine toothed comb.

Pestoso
November 3rd, 2016, 08:38 PM
Censorship? Nah we just expect somebody to have a backbone and be able to back up their bull**** accusations. Not many people here have any reason to "hate" SHSU but they do have pretty solid reason to loudly question their ranking. They have the #2 spot right now so it will be much discussed. Add to it all the SHSU guys who came over here in a coordinated effort to troll the board what do you expect. Put up or shut up.

Whoa hoss... accusations? I just asked a simple question. That apparently caused some unhinging.

Nickels
November 3rd, 2016, 08:39 PM
Oh know that for a fact do ya bitch boy?
Well that's certainly the only thing I've seen out of you naive clowns.

Tell me more Mr. FCS.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 08:40 PM
Well that's certainly the only thing I've seen out of you naive clowns.

Tell me more Mr. FCS.

You're adorable.

Drblankstare
November 3rd, 2016, 08:45 PM
Looking forward to Izzo's talk with the committee chair this weekend. Hopefully we will get some perspective on how they came to their decisions.

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2016, 08:46 PM
Looking forward to Izzo's talk with the committee chair this weekend. Hopefully we will get some perspective on how they came to their decisions.

The chair will also be on 1660 tomorrow with Cullhane and Jorgenson. I will definitely be tuning into that interview.

Drblankstare
November 3rd, 2016, 08:51 PM
The chair will also be on 1660 tomorrow with Cullhane and Jorgenson. I will definitely be tuning into that interview.

I didn't see that. I will have to check that out also

BisonTru

https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/794281977515937792

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/794323871373533184

clawman

different division, different committee but ask the Wash huskies if winning matters.

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2016, 08:53 PM

xeyebrowx

Well, if those two Sunbelt teams were playing extremely well, and the voters thought they could beat the team that were not playing well, then yeah, I'd hope the voters would be voting for the quality of the team instead of simply voting from a conference list.

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2016, 09:02 PM
Like, do people understand that SDSU could legitimately argue "of we'd have only played one more Pioneer league team we'd be top 10 right now" and be right?

Do people understand how damn stupid that is? A pioneer league win would push them over the top.

You know, maybe, just MAYBE, the committee actually watched some football games and saw that SDSU doesn't have shVt for a defense.

But, nah....let's blame it on the schedule. xlolxxlolx

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2016, 09:03 PM
xeyebrowx

Well, if those two Sunbelt teams were playing extremely well, and the voters thought they could beat the team that were not playing well, then yeah, I'd hope the voters would be voting for the quality of the team instead of simply voting from a conference list.

Which team is not playing well?

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2016, 09:05 PM

How many Citadel games have you watched? How many SHSU games have you watched?

Please list the strengths and weaknesses of each team based on those observations.

Elcid1995
November 3rd, 2016, 09:07 PM
I disagree a bit. CSU is 9th. Our lone quality win is Coastal. BUT I truly think they're giving us credit for taking the 1 time road trip to NDSU and taking the Champs to overtime. Had CSU instead opened with....say....Campbell and won...I don't think we'd be top 10 right now. I think CSU is being rewarded for scheduling that game instead of our usual OOC slate of some D2's, a FBS and maybe The Citadel.

Good point

Nickels
November 3rd, 2016, 09:10 PM

Please list the strengths and weaknesses of each team based on those observations.
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/files/2013/10/FieldCricket.png

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2016, 09:14 PM

I watched SHSU play Nichols, they played well against a mediocre team. But it wasn't really a game that told me much about how good they were because Nichols isn't that great. I can't really make a proper evaluation of SHSU, they've provided me with nothing. The last time they played a relevant opponent they lost by 52 points.

JSU hasn't exactly played an amazing schedule but I watched their game with LSU, they hung tough with an SEC team.

I watched The Citadel play Wofford, tough game against a rival and potential playoff team on the road. The Citadel found a way to win, good teams find a way to win and that is what happened against Wofford. I like to see how teams deal with a little adversity.

clawman
November 3rd, 2016, 09:15 PM
Barring some catastrophic 6-5 season, NDSU should get the #1 seed hypothetically.

We tried really hard to get a good OOC schedule. We had to settle for UNA because we lost a conference game and Furman cancelled their game this year.

Oh well, now I understand. You are definitely entitled to a # 1 seed for that!

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2016, 09:16 PM
The majority of people I've seen throw their own rankings out there have put SHSU around the #4/#5 range. How that is considered "hate" is beyond me.

Wait...SHSU's schedule sucks, they don't play anyone, the tough MVFC teams would beat them, they have no D, they haven't beaten any good teams in the playoffs recently, and they have no right to the sacred #1 or #2 positions regardless of their record...BUT...it is OK that people rank them #4 in the whole effing FCS country? xeyebrowx

Do you realize how stupid that sounds? xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Cripes, I have more respect for people that rank them 15-20 than people refusing to say they haven't proven anything but it is OK to give them some respect at #4 or #5.

Most of you people sound like children. xnodx

CockyGeek
November 3rd, 2016, 09:16 PM
Oh well, now I understand. You are definitely entitled to a # 1 seed for that!
It's almost like you cherry picked part of my post to make a point!

Big_Fan
November 3rd, 2016, 09:18 PM
I was almost right with my picks for top 5, thought I didn't specify order and I sure didn't expect us to be a #1 seed. I didn't expect JMU in the top 5, though outside of 1-4 I realize it isn't as important.

As with others, it is what it is. I think EWU and NDSU have outstanding resumes and strong arguments to be top seeds... but the issue is what I have said. A loss hurts you more than a win helps you. It is that way in the FBS, and it is that way in the FCS. Both of them have FCS losses, and JSU/SHSU haven't suffered one since the finals and semis last year.

There is the issue of SOS.

To some degree that indicates slot voting... but the powers that be know SHSU had the whole team back...and they were very good last year (other than when JSU stomped them).

For JSU's part, we did what we could to beef up our schedule. Coastal and Liberty may not be NDSU and EWU, but they are solid OOC opponents. Liberty won 3 straight BSC titles from 2012-2014, and took down Montana last season. They are known for being tough at home, and we beat them in their house. Coastal is transitioning to FBS and has increased scholarships... we may have won a close game on the scoreboard, but if you watched it, it felt like we were the much MUCH stronger team. Coastal has looked pretty good this season otherwise. Take a look at the stats if you have any questions (they were much more competitive with Chuck South). Our third OOC was a D2 team... yeah. Furman cancelled for a FBS payday. Sure, they have been down, but they are usually pretty solid and were worth scheduling. Instead, we got a D2 team that is currently undefeated (outside of losing to us) and ranked #3... so it was about as good of a D2 win as you can have.

Obviously we played LSU and gave them a pretty good game (outside of 3 minutes in the second quarter).

I am not saying that our schedule matches up with NDSU's. I am saying that we had as good of a schedule as we could have, given that we play in the OVC. I wish we could have made the home/home with NDSU, but NDSU only wanted to host. We wouldn't play them without a return trip...so enter Chuck South.

At the end of the day, as others have said, it is what it is. I hope we hold on to #1 and have home field until Frisco. I also want to see NDSU in Jacksonville... though I think UCA will knock SHSU off, and NDSU will climb into the top 3. That will put us back together in Frisco if we both hold serve.

Of course with the issues we have, we could win every game by 50, or lose to SEMO.

At times this season we have played like hot garbage. When we click, we can beat anyone. Some of our struggles have been self-inflicted (penalties, poor FG kicking, red zone implosion). I think the biggest weakness we have this season is with Eli at QB. I love him and he is incredibly dangerous with the ball, but since his shoulder was surgically repaired he seems to be much less accurate on the short to mid-range passes. Last season anything under 20 yards was money. This season I close my eyes when he throws it. If Eli doesn't get his mojo back, and we can't run with consistency, someone will beat us before we get to Frisco. Our defense is all-world, and I think we will fare well against feast or famine teams like SHSU or EWU... but UCA, NDSU, and other grind it out teams (even Chatty and Citadel) I am concerned. We need explosive pass plays, and I am not sure we have that ability this season.

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2016, 09:20 PM
Which team is not playing well?

The Bison.

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 09:22 PM
Here's what I don't get with the margin-of-victory argument. Sagarin's computer rating, as I understand it, is based completely on scoring margin so, for instance, if Sagarin's model favors Team X to beat Team Y by 50 and Team X only wins by 30 that win actually hurts Team X in his model going forward.

Having said that, the margin of victory knock on NDSU is they haven't been winning as convincingly as some think they should be yet Sagarin's model rates them 21 spots (or 5.34 points) higher than EWU, 30 spots (or 7.86 points) higher than JSU, and 48 spots (or 11.31 points) higher than SHSU. I just don't see how the margin of victory argument can hold water in this case for schedules that are so vastly different in strength. If there were one or more common opponents then I agree MOV can be a valid consideration for those games against common opponents but that's not the case here (except for both EWU and NDSU playing UNI).
Professor,what you don't consider is that when you play a strong SOS the outcome is more closely reflective of a teams ability(I.e. They've played as well as they can to achieve that result). Compared to a result for SHSU which has not played their 1st or 2nd team on defense beyond the middle of the 3rd qtr. folks want to look at MASSEY or rankings for SHSU defense for example and say we don't have a defense. Which is statistically accurate if you want to consider the 3rd and 4th string results of the 2nd half. However, if you extrapolate based on 3 quarters, the results are in the top 10 and if you extrapolate basesed on 1st half, they are top 5while, I'll admit that is subjective ,I will also admit it's better than looking blindly att the results and saying our d is the 60th best in FCS. Even so our o is ranked 2 and has only scored 2 or 3 times in the 4th qtr. any computer ranking adjusted for this has SHSU ranked 1st or 2nd based on their formula. Now if you want to just look at the numbers as published because they fit your view of the world,enjoy.

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2016, 09:23 PM
The Bison.

7-1 doesn't seem to be that poor to me.

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 09:24 PM
I watched SHSU play Nichols, they played well against a mediocre team. But it wasn't really a game that told me much about how good they were because Nichols isn't that great. I can't really make a proper evaluation of SHSU, they've provided me with nothing. The last time they played a relevant opponent they lost by 52 points.

JSU hasn't exactly played an amazing schedule but I watched their game with LSU, they hung tough with an SEC team.

I watched The Citadel play Wofford, tough game against a rival and potential playoff team on the road. The Citadel found a way to win, good teams find a way to win and that is what happened against Wofford. I like to see how teams deal with a little adversity.

No sir, with all due respect we have not played JSU, last years team did and yes they did beat the **** out of us

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 09:25 PM
7-1 doesn't seem to be that poor to me.

It's 7-1 in the talentless and soft MVFC. Weak sauce. Just ask cluckers.

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 09:26 PM
Wait...SHSU's schedule sucks, they don't play anyone, the tough MVFC teams would beat them, they have no D, they haven't beaten any good teams in the playoffs recently, and they have no right to the sacred #1 or #2 positions regardless of their record...BUT...it is OK that people rank them #4 in the whole effing FCS country? xeyebrowx

Do you realize how stupid that sounds? xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Cripes, I have more respect for people that rank them 15-20 than people refusing to say they haven't proven anything but it is OK to give them some respect at #4 or #5.

Most of you people sound like children. xnodx
Well, you're an expert at sounding stupid so enlighten me on how stupid that sounds.

I think SHSU is a very good team and I think most objective posters on this site do to. Should I post that in a larger font though so you get it?

They may be, in fact, the best team in country but they haven't had a chance to prove it because they haven't played a team capable of testing them. However, they've crushed everyone they've played which is exactly what a national title contender should do. When it comes to rankings though, I'll take the teams that have proven they can beat top competition.

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 09:26 PM
SHSU played NDSU two years ago. SHSU had several wide open WRs behind the NDSU defense and Johnson barely missed them. Never was impressed with Johnson's accuracy...too inconsistent. I referenced that game, because sometimes looking at scores or stats doesn't always indicate how close a game could have been.

For reference here's Clucky's eye ball test. You folks that watched that game can make your own judgement.

Nickels
November 3rd, 2016, 09:29 PM

Real in depth analysis there. Nice job.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 09:29 PM
For reference here's Clucky's eye ball test. You folks that watched that game can make your own judgement.

His eyeball test is so good half the time he doesn't know who played or where they played at.

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2016, 09:31 PM
No sir, with all due respect we have not played JSU, last years team did and yes they did beat the **** out of us

I realize that but your team has given me nothing to wash that performance out of my memory. I have SHSU ranked highly but I can't put them over EWU, NDSU, JSU and The Citadel for now.

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 09:31 PM
Professor,what you don't consider is that when you play a strong SOS the outcome is more closely reflective of a teams ability(I.e. They've played as well as they can to achieve that result). Compared to a result for SHSU which has not played their 1st or 2nd team on defense beyond the middle of the 3rd qtr. folks want to look at MASSEY or rankings for SHSU defense for example and say we don't have a defense. Which is statistically accurate if you want to consider the 3rd and 4th string results of the 2nd half. However, if you extrapolate based on 3 quarters, the results are in the top 10 and if you extrapolate basesed on 1st half, they are top 5while, I'll admit that is subjective ,I will also admit it's better than looking blindly att the results and saying our d is the 60th best in FCS. Even so our o is ranked 2 and has only scored 2 or 3 times in the 4th qtr. any computer ranking adjusted for this has SHSU ranked 1st or 2nd based on their formula. Now if you want to just look at the numbers as published because they fit your view of the world,enjoy.
I haven't made the claim that SHSU doesn't have a defense. They may, they may not. Their defense hasn't had to prove it so far this year. Like I said, SHSU may be the best team in the nation this year or they may be ready to be picked off by the first team that can give them a 4 quarter game. They haven't been able to prove it either way with the garbage competition they've played to this point. When it comes to playoff seeding, there needs to be some proof in the pudding if you're gonna be a top 2 seed.

SU DOG
November 3rd, 2016, 09:32 PM
I was almost right with my picks for top 5, thought I didn't specify order and I sure didn't expect us to be a #1 seed. I didn't expect JMU in the top 5, though outside of 1-4 I realize it isn't as important.

As with others, it is what it is. I think EWU and NDSU have outstanding resumes and strong arguments to be top seeds... but the issue is what I have said. A loss hurts you more than a win helps you. It is that way in the FBS, and it is that way in the FCS. Both of them have FCS losses, and JSU/SHSU haven't suffered one since the finals and semis last year.

There is the issue of SOS.

To some degree that indicates slot voting... but the powers that be know SHSU had the whole team back...and they were very good last year (other than when JSU stomped them).

For JSU's part, we did what we could to beef up our schedule. Coastal and Liberty may not be NDSU and EWU, but they are solid OOC opponents. Liberty won 3 straight BSC titles from 2012-2014, and took down Montana last season. They are known for being tough at home, and we beat them in their house. Coastal is transitioning to FBS and has increased scholarships... we may have won a close game on the scoreboard, but if you watched it, it felt like we were the much MUCH stronger team. Coastal has looked pretty good this season otherwise. Take a look at the stats if you have any questions (they were much more competitive with Chuck South). Our third OOC was a D2 team... yeah. Furman cancelled for a FBS payday. Sure, they have been down, but they are usually pretty solid and were worth scheduling. Instead, we got a D2 team that is currently undefeated (outside of losing to us) and ranked #3... so it was about as good of a D2 win as you can have.

Obviously we played LSU and gave them a pretty good game (outside of 3 minutes in the second quarter).

I am not saying that our schedule matches up with NDSU's. I am saying that we had as good of a schedule as we could have, given that we play in the OVC. I wish we could have made the home/home with NDSU, but NDSU only wanted to host. We wouldn't play them without a return trip...so enter Chuck South.

At the end of the day, as others have said, it is what it is. I hope we hold on to #1 and have home field until Frisco. I also want to see NDSU in Jacksonville... though I think UCA will knock SHSU off, and NDSU will climb into the top 3. That will put us back together in Frisco if we both hold serve.

Of course with the issues we have, we could win every game by 50, or lose to SEMO.

At times this season we have played like hot garbage. When we click, we can beat anyone. Some of our struggles have been self-inflicted (penalties, poor FG kicking, red zone implosion). I think the biggest weakness we have this season is with Eli at QB. I love him and he is incredibly dangerous with the ball, but since his shoulder was surgically repaired he seems to be much less accurate on the short to mid-range passes. Last season anything under 20 yards was money. This season I close my eyes when he throws it. If Eli doesn't get his mojo back, and we can't run with consistency, someone will beat us before we get to Frisco. Our defense is all-world, and I think we will fare well against feast or famine teams like SHSU or EWU... but UCA, NDSU, and other grind it out teams (even Chatty and Citadel) I am concerned. We need explosive pass plays, and I am not sure we have that ability this season.

It is refreshing to me to hear a fan give such an honest critique of his team. Congrats on your #1 ranking. I personally have EWU as the #1, but JSU has to be near that top spot. I'll wait until after Saturday to toot my Samford horn, if we win, or tuck my tail if we lose. It's not like we have a long history of deep playoff runs. LOL. A little too early, IMO, to see such despair by so many on here over a ranking that might change drastically, within the next 2 days, even though it admittedly has to be considered very strange.

Elcid1995
November 3rd, 2016, 09:34 PM
OMG ITS A BIG GAME SATURDAY IN CHARLESTON