View Full Version : Southland: Implications of Proposed TAMU CC-TAMUK Merger.

Catatonic
November 3rd, 2016, 04:39 AM
TAMUK (formerly Texas A&I) and TAMUCC have tentatively agreed to merge, pending approval of the TAMU system regents and the state legislature. TAMUK plays football at the D2 level in the Lone Star Conference and apparently wants to continue to field a team after the merger. A 12th football member for the SLC?

DFW HOYA
November 3rd, 2016, 05:30 AM
I know the ATM brand is important, but the name University of South Texas is open.

BEAR
November 3rd, 2016, 06:39 AM
12 teams? Gotta go to two divisions. Or ditch a couple of these basement dwellers to make their own conference.

TheRevSFA
November 3rd, 2016, 06:52 AM
God I hope not.

Granted TAMUK isn't a slouch in D2; it's just oversaturation

Sammy94
November 3rd, 2016, 08:03 AM
Isn't Tarleton trying to get in also??

TheRevSFA
November 3rd, 2016, 08:05 AM

They are. It makes me wonder if it's time for some of the bigger schools to split off and form their own. Let's keep a conference with UCA, NWSULA, Sam, SFA, Lamar and McNeese

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2016, 08:10 AM
Just form a mega conference like the Big Sky. That way your OOC games could be against in conference foes. Then you wouldn't even have to play anyone outside the Southland again. It appears the conference wants that anyway with going to 9 league games. Or you guys could have 12 then play 11 conference games and everyone plays everyone.

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2016, 08:10 AM
The West half of the slc and South half of the big sky should get together

Sammy94
November 3rd, 2016, 08:13 AM
They are. It makes me wonder if it's time for some of the bigger schools to split off and form their own. Let's keep a conference with UCA, NWSULA, Sam, SFA, Lamar and McNeese

I will be shocked if Sam is still in the SLC in 5 years, I'm not a fan of jumping up but with all the facilities upgrades going on and the rumors I am hearing I see Sam moving soon.

Sammy94
November 3rd, 2016, 08:16 AM

That is a good idea. The Skyland Conference.

Catatonic
November 3rd, 2016, 08:19 AM

Yes. However, Tarleton is not currently a member and their application would require approval by member schools. TAMUCC is already in the Southland. I'm not sure they would need to be readmitted after a merger or their existing membership would still hold. Also, I'm not sure about conference rules regarding an existing member deciding to add football or another sport.

BEAR
November 3rd, 2016, 08:19 AM
My vote for the new SLC:

Sam..if it stays.
UCA... quality program.
McNeese... gold standard.
Lamar...got the money.
Missouri State... good rival for UCA.
SFA... good program.
NWST- need a basement dweller in every conference.
ACU- up and coming. Great program.

That's 8 with some variety. Plus the SLC SOS and RPI would go up dramatically.

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 08:47 AM
My vote for the new SLC:

Sam..if it stays.
UCA... quality program.
Lamar...got the money.
SFA... good program.

I like this - 7 conference games every year....4 OOC games..more flexibility with scheduling. I would support Sam staying in this situation.

Of course, when the Power 5 conferences make their clean break to 4 superconferences, all bets are off. Who knows how it will shake out?

EDIT: I would see if JSU was interested in leaving the OVC to join this group......

TheRevSFA
November 3rd, 2016, 08:56 AM
I will be shocked if Sam is still in the SLC in 5 years, I'm not a fan of jumping up but with all the facilities upgrades going on and the rumors I am hearing I see Sam moving soon.

Sam has to have a place to go and right now, the expansion that was counted on to shake up the smaller conferences hasn't happened yet.

BEAR
November 3rd, 2016, 09:13 AM
I like this - 7 conference games every year....4 OOC games..more flexibility with scheduling. I would support Sam staying in this situation.

Of course, when the Power 5 conferences make their clean break to 4 superconferences, all bets are off. Who knows how it will shake out?

EDIT: I would see if JSU was interested in leaving the OVC to join this group......

Yeah. Maybe add one more team and then you got 8 conference games, two FCS, and one FBS game a year.

dgtw
November 3rd, 2016, 11:29 AM
Yes. However, Tarleton is not currently a member and their application would require approval by member schools. TAMUCC is already in the Southland. I'm not sure they would need to be readmitted after a merger or their existing membership would still hold. Also, I'm not sure about conference rules regarding an existing member deciding to add football or another sport.

As for a conference member adding a new sport, I don't see the issue. If they added golf they would play in the SLC golf tournament. (Just an example, I do not know if they or the league sponsor golf).

When South Alabama added football, they jumped right into the Sun Belt.

The merger does add a wrinkle. Is this a new school (from a legal standpoint)? But I can't see them kicking someone out over a technicality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2016, 11:41 AM
The biggest issue is that they are merging sports for two separate Divisions. So what level are the sports going to be at? Division 1 or Division 2? This is a sticking point I think more than conference affiliation. Since Kingsville wants to keep football there is a couple of options. Move all sports D2 with the football, move football up to D1, or move football up to non-scholly D1. I think we need more info before we know if they can just add their football into the SLC.

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2016, 11:56 AM
Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, Texas A&M Corpus Christi, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, Weber State, Northern Colorado. They'll call it the big ovc West. xlolx

JaxSinfonian
November 3rd, 2016, 12:17 PM

Likely not, I imagine. When JSU left the SFL the goal was to get the football program under the same conference umbrella as the rest of the school's sports, in a conference that made some geographic sense. Travel costs were a real concern when the football team was flying to every away game save Nicholls and the other sports were in the far-flung A-Sun. The version of the football conference proposed in that post only looks worse than the old SFL for JSU; moving all sports into that conference would only compound the problem.

The OVC is not a perfect fit for Jax State, but it's about as good as it gets as long as the Gamecocks are playing FCS ball. It would be a heck of a lot more comfortable if the conference would 1) make sustained, substantial improvement in the quality of its football programs and 2) admit North Alabama (which would help a little bit with 1).

ccd494
November 3rd, 2016, 12:35 PM
There is precedent right in Texas, right, with UT Pan American and something else becoming UT-RGV? They stayed D-I.

Laker
November 3rd, 2016, 12:40 PM
There is precedent right in Texas, right, with UT Pan American and something else becoming UT-RGV? They stayed D-I.

They merged with UT-Brownsville Ocelots (formerly Scorpions) who had been NAIA.

They need to add football...........

clenz
November 3rd, 2016, 12:45 PM
My vote for the new SLC:

Sam..if it stays.
UCA... quality program.
Lamar...got the money.
SFA... good program.

How you going to draw MSU from the MVC?

Schism55
November 3rd, 2016, 12:53 PM
RIP Texas A&I Javelinas. Home of the most electric D2 player my eyes have ever seen in person, Johnny Bailey

TheRevSFA
November 3rd, 2016, 01:06 PM
How you going to draw MSU from the MVC?

I'm betting MSU would probably have less travel expenses to Arkansas, Louisiana and Eastern Texas vs North Dakota and Ohio.

Cost savings that could be used to help build their football strength?

I honestly don't have a clue.

TheRevSFA
November 3rd, 2016, 01:07 PM

Yeah but they are a basketball school only (at the moment).

The issue here is A&M-Corpus is basketball only in the SLC, whilst TAMUK is a football school. That is going to be an issue in terms of amount of teams in conference.

dgtw
November 3rd, 2016, 01:09 PM
Likely not, I imagine. When JSU left the SFL the goal was to get the football program under the same conference umbrella as the rest of the school's sports, in a conference that made some geographic sense. Travel costs were a real concern when the football team was flying to every away game save Nicholls and the other sports were in the far-flung A-Sun. The version of the football conference proposed in that post only looks worse than the old SFL for JSU; moving all sports into that conference would only compound the problem.

The OVC is not a perfect fit for Jax State, but it's about as good as it gets as long as the Gamecocks are playing FCS ball. It would be a heck of a lot more comfortable if the conference would 1) make sustained, substantial improvement in the quality of its football programs and 2) admit North Alabama (which would help a little bit with 1).

Or swap us with UNC-Greensboro in the SoCon. The OVC loves non-football schools.

PAllen
November 3rd, 2016, 01:13 PM
The biggest issue is that they are merging sports for two separate Divisions. So what level are the sports going to be at? Division 1 or Division 2? This is a sticking point I think more than conference affiliation. Since Kingsville wants to keep football there is a couple of options. Move all sports D2 with the football, move football up to D1, or move football up to non-scholly D1. I think we need more info before we know if they can just add their football into the SLC.

I think if they want to stay D-I, they just say that the D-I school absorbed the D-II school. Same with conference membership.

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 01:13 PM

Can you imagine what the kids would look like?? Sheesh! muuuuahhahaha

clenz
November 3rd, 2016, 01:17 PM
I'm betting MSU would probably have less travel expenses to Arkansas, Louisiana and Eastern Texas vs North Dakota and Ohio.

Cost savings that could be used to help build their football strength?

I honestly don't have a clue.
Once you're on a plane you're on a plane.

How does that affect MSU basketball program? Is it an all sports conference?

TheRevSFA
November 3rd, 2016, 02:03 PM
Once you're on a plane you're on a plane.

How does that affect MSU basketball program? Is it an all sports conference?

What bear had projected is all sports...except 'rasslin. Don't think the SLC sponsors that 'rasslin stuff..

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 02:09 PM
RIP Texas A&I Javelinas. Home of the most electric D2 player my eyes have ever seen in person, Johnny Bailey

Amen, brother. Dude had skills.

McCowboys
November 3rd, 2016, 02:10 PM
What bear had projected is all sports...except 'rasslin. Don't think the SLC sponsors that 'rasslin stuff..

The SLC also does not sponsor men's soccer.

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2016, 02:11 PM
Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, Texas A&M Corpus Christi, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, Weber State, Northern Colorado. They'll call it the big ovc West. xlolx

I thought you were my friend...

Catatonic
November 3rd, 2016, 02:12 PM

We good in Bowlin though!

superman7515
November 3rd, 2016, 02:14 PM

And possibly the fastest NFL player in history, Darrell Green. When he was drafted by the Redskins, he had the fastest 100 meter time in the US, had beaten Carl Lewis in a race, and had an opportunity to compete in the 1984 Olympics but wasn't allowed because, at the time, professional athletes weren't allowed to participate.

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 02:15 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/pg8rskNlXdzr2/giphy.gif

TheRevSFA
November 3rd, 2016, 02:34 PM

Your defending national champion SFA Ladyjacks.

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 02:45 PM
Your defending national champion SFA Ladyjacks.

That title will be returning to Huntsville this year.......

https://media.giphy.com/media/3orieN4WwQB6hDS3dK/giphy.gif

BEAR
November 3rd, 2016, 02:52 PM
The SLC also does not sponsor men's soccer.

UCA is in the Missouri Valley for that.xlolx

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2016, 02:54 PM
That title will be returning to Huntsville this year.......

https://media.giphy.com/media/3orieN4WwQB6hDS3dK/giphy.gif
Me: OMFG I'm reading bowling smack, who does that?

SLC Fans:
http://www.vitamin-ha.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Archer-Memes19.jpg

BEAR
November 3rd, 2016, 02:55 PM
Me: OMFG I'm reading bowling smack, who does that?

SLC Fans:

Bowling...what is this...bowling..you speak of? xeyebrowx

clenz
November 3rd, 2016, 02:59 PM
UCA is in the Missouri Valley for that.xlolx
So what I'm gathering is MSU would have to leave sports behind - likely not sitting well with existing MVC members - to get into a worse basketball league so that they could play Central Arkansas and Sam Houston State rather than Northern Iowa, Wichita State, Illinois State....

Well, given how MSU typically challenges themselves OOC, I guess i could see it.

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 06:56 PM
I believe all NCAA sports have to be on the same level, therefore, they would have to be d1

Laker
November 3rd, 2016, 06:59 PM
I believe all NCAA sports have to be on the same level, therefore, they would have to be d1

Yes. The only way you can have sports at different levels is to be grandfathered in- or not have the sport offered at that level. For example- MSU-Mankato is D1 in hockey but D2 in everything else. There is no national tournament for D2 hockey anymore.

Nickels
November 3rd, 2016, 08:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Apc34v2.gif

Big_Fan
November 4th, 2016, 12:44 AM

This.

Hood
November 4th, 2016, 09:36 AM
The disrespect in this thread for the Nicholls State bass fishing team... xnonono2x

BEAR
November 4th, 2016, 09:39 AM
The disrespect in this thread for the Nicholls State bass fishing team... xnonono2x

Don't feel bad. UCA wanted to start an equestrian team but couldn't find anyone else to add it. Plus the cost....xconfusedx

Catatonic
November 4th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Don't feel bad. UCA wanted to start an equestrian team but couldn't find anyone else to add it. Plus the cost....xconfusedx

An equestrian team would have been perfect for ACU. We are smack dab in the midst of ranching territory. Instead, we are going to add....drum roll...beach volleyball. No beaches within hundreds of miles, but that's what we are adding.

BEAR
November 4th, 2016, 12:10 PM
An equestrian team would have been perfect for ACU. We are smack dab in the midst of ranching territory. Instead, we are going to add....drum roll...beach volleyball. No beaches within hundreds of miles, but that's what we are adding.

UCA just added Beach Volleyball...but of course our volleyball team has been phenomenal...but again...NO BEACHES in Arkansas. xlolx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuHv4qVVUAAhQAx.jpg:large

Daytripper
November 4th, 2016, 12:14 PM
UCA just added Beach Volleyball...but of course our volleyball team has been phenomenal...but again...NO BEACHES in Arkansas. xlolx

Please provide access to all future UCA volleyball game videos, highlights, clips, photos, and left-behind/discarded/trimmed pubic hair.

BEAR
November 4th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Please provide acces to all future UCA volleyball game videos, highlights, clips, photos, and left-behind/discarded pubic hair.

You likey....xlolx

ASU33
November 4th, 2016, 12:39 PM

DAYUMM!xpopcornx #11 MY GOODNESS!

TheKingpin28
November 4th, 2016, 04:03 PM

So I feel like #3 and #4 need some extra help on proper form and technique so I am more than willing to take one for the team and work on a private session with both of them. But the real question here is, where are the knee pads? :D

dgtw
November 4th, 2016, 05:42 PM

Quoting because, well you know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
November 4th, 2016, 07:54 PM
I thought you were my friend...
That looks like more playoff bids for NAU. :D

Daytripper
November 4th, 2016, 11:46 PM
So I feel like #3 and #4 need some extra help on proper form and technique so I am more than willing to take one for the team and work on a private session with both of them. But the real question here is, where are the knee pads? :D

#4 just has some serious mischief in her eyes.....xbowx

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 12:05 AM
#4 just has some serious mischief in her eyes.....xbowx

Those are my kind of eyes. Blue eyes and dirty blonde hair, and under 5ft 10in,

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/fc/fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d 9742eb6bc89110.jpg

Catatonic
November 5th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Good thing some of y'all don't play soccer for Harvard. Comments like these would get you team suspended and to forfeit the rest of the season. Boys aren't supposed to notice the girlys, just the athlete.

Katfan
November 5th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Really, I would love to have had a scholarship to fish.

Southern Bison
November 5th, 2016, 08:38 AM

There are plenty of beaches in North Carolina...please send #3 & #11 eastbound on I-40!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

grizband
November 5th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Yes. The only way you can have sports at different levels is to be grandfathered in- or not have the sport offered at that level. For example- MSU-Mankato is D1 in hockey but D2 in everything else. There is no national tournament for D2 hockey anymore.
Ah, the Dayton rule.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nickels
November 5th, 2016, 11:35 AM
You guys have been married or single for way too long if those sixes get you that excited.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 11:47 AM
You guys have been married or single for way too long if those sixes get you that excited.

Ha at calling #3 and #4 a 6

#3 and #4 are more like 7s and possibly 7.5s. The thing is #4 looks bat **** crazy and for that reason alone, it makes her that much hotter.

Now the rest of them I would not disagree and they could even be lower but #3 and #4 look like a nice tag team

Nickels
November 5th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Ha at calling #3 and #4 a 6

#3 and #4 are more like 7s and possibly 7.5s. The thing is #4 looks bat **** crazy and for that reason alone, it makes her that much hotter.

Now the rest of them I would not disagree and they could even be lower but #3 and #4 look like a nice tag team
7.5?!? You fockers in ND are thirsty! 3 & 4 wouldn't even get a glance in my office building.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 12:27 PM
7.5?!? You fockers in ND are thirsty! 3 & 4 wouldn't even get a glance in my office building.

Thirsty? Really? If that would not get a glance in your office, then your office must have 0 taste in women.

Nickels
November 5th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Thirsty? Really? If that would not get a glance in your office, then your office must have 0 taste in women.

Quite the opposite. They wouldn't get a 2nd look because there are actual 7-9s to look at.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 5th, 2016, 03:47 PM
The girl in the middle is gorgeous. But I am stuck in Yankeeland.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Who knew this thread was going to go BigDGarcia on us?

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Who knew this thread was going to go BigDGarcia on us?

Well a school with the letters C U and A were involved so there was high probability. Also, its sand volleyball, the best combination for womens sports.

Hog Fan
November 11th, 2016, 09:00 AM
TAMUK/A&I Alum here.

Well, this news has taken the whole region and alumni bases by surprise and at first to most of us on the TAMUK side, it looked like it might be a major loss to TAMUK. However it looks like it could be a major win for the region if the A&M BOR plays it's cards right and pacifies the Corpus folks. But as related to football and other sports, this is what is being tossed around.

* School would be renamed Texas A&M- South Texas

* The Mascot and other related things like fight songs would be the Javelinas, Jalisco, etc ( I know ACU and Sammy recall it :D)

* A new $60 million stadium would be built in Kingsville.

* A now semi vacant baseball stadium sits at the Regional Fairgrounds in Robstown would be bought and used by the new school. It sits around 5000 people.

* I have to think basketball, tennis, soccer and maybe volleyball might be retained in Corpus since they have better facilities. Kingsville would have to build new ones due to age. I think some new sports will be added to the offerings to like swimming.

All of this is fluid and could change and some politicos are not happy in Corpus, but some movers and shakers in the business community are and they might get on board and the politicos to follow.

We have a program on the rebound and excellent coach in place in Wikerson that I could see moving up to FCS if our upward trend continues as is in D2. This move would almost insure he'd stay for the longer term and with his enthusiasm and with new facilities in his portfolio and $$$, he would get us competitive real quick in the Southland if that is the conference option we ultimately look at. Plus I'd love to renew old rivalries and start new ones with the likes of McNeese for one.

TheRevSFA
November 11th, 2016, 09:02 AM
TAMUK/A&I Alum here.

Well, this news has taken the whole region and alumni bases by surprise and at first to most of us on the TAMUK side, it looked like it might be a major loss to TAMUK. However it looks like it could be a major win for the region if the A&M BOR plays it's cards right and pacifies the Corpus folks. But as related to football and other sports, this is what is being tossed around.

* The Mascot and other related things like fight songs would be the Javelinas, Jalisco, etc ( I know ACU and Sammy recall it :D)

* A now semi vacant baseball stadium sits at the Regional Fairgrounds in Robstown would be bought and used by the new school. It sits around 5000 people.

* I have to think basketball, tennis, soccer and maybe volleyball might be retained in Corpus since they have better facilities. Kingsville would have to build new ones due to age. I think some new sports will be added to the offerings to like swimming.

All of this is fluid and could change and some politicos are not happy in Corpus, but some movers and shakers in the business community are and they might get on board and the politicos to follow.

We have a program on the rebound and excellent coach in place in Wikerson that I could see moving up to FCS if our upward trend continues as is in D2. This move would almost insure he'd stay for the longer term and with his enthusiasm and with new facilities in his portfolio and $$$, he would get us competitive real quick in the Southland if that is the conference option we ultimately look at. Plus I'd love to renew old rivalries and start new ones with the likes of McNeese for one.

I think all of this is great for TAMUK and Corpus..I truly do..but the Southland is inundated with schools now. We literally do not have room for another football school unless we get rid of some.

Hog Fan
November 11th, 2016, 09:05 AM

We would go D1 in all sports. I wonder if merging allows for the bypass of the mandatory waiting period for playoffs for D2 programs who move up? I hope so because see others who have moved up, it really sucks for them.

Hog Fan
November 11th, 2016, 09:08 AM
I think all of this is great for TAMUK and Corpus..I truly do..but the Southland is inundated with schools now. We literally do not have room for another football school unless we get rid of some.

How would divisions look capped off with a conference championship?

TheRevSFA
November 11th, 2016, 09:08 AM
How would divisions look capped off with a conference championship?

Conferences who do conference championships do not play in the playoffs...

Hog Fan
November 11th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Conferences who do conference championships do not play in the playoffs...

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would love for this new school if you want to call it that to be in the Southland thanks to regional accessibility and bringing back some old rivals. Right now in the LSC, our closest road trip is to San Angelo and furthest would be to far western part of New Mexico. In the SLC, we'd have some games right up the road in SA and Houston just two to three hours away. Then another few within four to six and so on. Plus we could take the money game if you will and play the likes of UTSA or Texas State.

TheRevSFA
November 11th, 2016, 09:19 AM
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would love for this new school if you want to call it that to be in the Southland thanks to regional accessibility and bringing back some old rivals. Right now in the LSC, our closest road trip is to San Angelo and furthest would be to far western part of New Mexico. In the SLC, we'd have some games right up the road in SA and Houston just two to three hours away. Then another few within four to six and so on. Plus we could take the money game if you will and play the likes of UTSA or Texas State.

I do too. We can get rid of HBU...I'm good with that...

Daytripper
November 11th, 2016, 09:23 AM
I do too. We can get rid of HBU...I'm good with that...

Get rid of NWST. At least HBU is improving.

Hog Fan
November 11th, 2016, 09:24 AM
And plus looking at those gals from UCA, I can almost be certain we could rival anyone with ours thanks to our proximity to the beach with a new combined school. Plus we could have beach volleyball conference tourney on a real beach instead of some sandpits.:D

TheRevSFA
November 11th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Get rid of NWST. At least HBU is improving.

Eh Chief Caddo and all....

- - - Updated - - -

Also Hog, welcome to the board.

Laker
November 11th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Anyone have a timeline on this? Is it actually going to go through or is it just proposed?

dbackjon
November 11th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Wouldn't the new school automatically be DI in the Southland? UTRGV stayed DI in the WAC when they did similar.

Schism55
November 11th, 2016, 01:01 PM
TAMUK/A&I Alum here.

Thank you very much for the knowledge.
If this goes thru, hope it is beneficial for all involved.
Glad Javelinas will be sticking around, love that nickname/mascot xthumbsupx