PDA

View Full Version : Southern Pigskin Preview of Samford at Citadel

Southern Pigskin
November 2nd, 2016, 04:07 PM
Huge match-up of the Bulldogs in the SOCON this week.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/style-points-in-the-socon/

grizband
November 2nd, 2016, 04:26 PM
Nice article. Good too read about FCS games, especially those with such implications, in other parts of the country!

Can I make one formatting request? Grey text on a white background is difficult to read; try using a darker color of text.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SU DOG
November 2nd, 2016, 05:12 PM
Nice article, but did I miss the prediction?

BEAR
November 3rd, 2016, 06:51 AM
That is a game I will be watching if its online!

SU DOG
November 3rd, 2016, 09:15 AM
That is a game I will be watching if its online!

ESPN3

BEAR
November 3rd, 2016, 09:17 AM
ESPN3

Sweet!
Samford has done so well. Arkansas State has done so well since we played them. This only helps our situation. xlolx

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2016, 12:07 PM
Sweet!
Samford has done so well. Arkansas State has done so well since we played them. This only helps our situation. xlolx

Your situation is solid....go beat SH and you will pull a seed.

catamount man
November 3rd, 2016, 08:56 PM
Will have on a separate computer screen as WCU-VMI is also on ESPN 3. Citadel 23-17.

GO CATS!!!

ElCid
November 3rd, 2016, 11:12 PM
Will have on a separate computer screen as WCU-VMI is also on ESPN 3. Citadel 23-17.

GO CATS!!!

My hero. Thanks for the show of confidence. Going to be a hard fought game. Not sure we can stop Samford's passing attack, but the key will be whether they can stop our running game.

Big_Fan
November 4th, 2016, 12:49 AM
This should be a fun game... I might tune it in if bandwidth allows. I have 100Mb up and down, but the international connection can be shaky at times... and with everything going on this weekend, who knows?

catamount man
November 4th, 2016, 06:56 AM
My hero. Thanks for the show of confidence. Going to be a hard fought game. Not sure we can stop Samford's passing attack, but the key will be whether they can stop our running game.

Awesome performance by the Dogs this season. Who knows bro? Maybe the national title? GO CATS!

Sandlapper Spike
November 4th, 2016, 08:36 AM
You have to give Samford credit for its offensive performance in Starkville. SU scored more points in that game than in its previous 18 games against Mississippi State, combined.

Daytripper
November 4th, 2016, 08:55 AM
As a Sam Houston fan and Southland supporter, I must pull for the Samford upset.

ASU33
November 4th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Chris Hatcher has done a helluva job over there in Homewood!

SU DOG
November 4th, 2016, 02:00 PM
As a Sam Houston fan and Southland supporter, I must pull for the Samford upset.

Well, we will probably need all the pulling help we can get. For those outside the southern region who haven't seen The Citadel play, I can tell you that they are some MORE physical team. Even when you see them, it's hard to imagine how they are doing their thing. A play that looks to be stopped, will be 3-4 yds down the field. Two more of those and they have moved the sticks, and that's provided they don't break a long one. Their offense also gives you devastating cut blocks, and their defense bone-jarring tackles. After the game your trainers will still be working on your battered squad.

I'm NOT conceding anything here, as I'm on record as picking my Bama Dogs - just a gem of knowledge for those outside the SoCon who might not understand how this team operates.

FUBeAR
November 4th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Even when you see them, it's hard to imagine how they are doing their thing. A play that looks to be stopped, will be 3-4 yds down the field. Two more of those and they have moved the sticks

Man o Man is that the truth. Despite what my Bellhop friends seem to think, I have watched A LOT of football in the past 40+ years (played and Coached a good bit too)...and I feel like my eyes are playing tricks on me when I watch that El Cid Offense. 1st of all, it looks like they have 2 (or more) men in motion on almost every play. They don't now, although they did fairly frequently 2 years ago. Now, they just have precision-timing on their snap count and great 'ball get-off' by their O-Line and their Backs. Then, as SU Dog said, you'll see a play that looks like it's gone for No Gain or maybe 1 or 2 yards at the most...and they'll un-pile, spot the ball (usually correctly), and they've gained 4 or 5 yards. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I bet no one can find a video of 1 single play in the past 3 years where Renew has not fallen forward on contact (usually for an extra yard or 3). It adds up...and not being able to get off the field takes a heckuva toll on the opposing Defense. As much as I hate it, the Bellhops really do run a great Offensive system. It's certainly not pretty to the typical Football watcher of today, but no one can deny that it has been PAINFULLY successful for them. While I'm feeling charitable, I will admit that when they do pitch it on the edge and/or run one of their whirly-bird counter-plays, I do find those plays to be 'pretty'...though, to be honest and, maybe a bit uncharitable, those types of plays are where they, on occasion, have hurt themselves by putting the ball on the ground...and losing it...usually, only against CSU though....the rest of the time it seems to bounce back into their darn hands.

All that said, Sammy runs a highly successful offense system also...and I don't know how to stop Sammy's (maybe some DC's do; but I don't) - it's almost as if they have to beat themselves or you have to outscore them. I (and most DC's) do know HOW to stop El Cid's O, but it's more a matter of CAN a Defense do it. So far, this season only Furman, Wofford, and Mercer (with the exception of 1 70 yard run on the 2nd play of the game) have been able to slow their GRINDING Running game down.

Looking forward to see how this game is going to play out. I'm expecting a high-scoring affair, but still cogitating on which team I'm picking and what that final score will be...

ElCid
November 4th, 2016, 04:53 PM
You have to give Samford credit for its offensive performance in Starkville. SU scored more points in that game than in its previous 18 games against Mississippi State, combined.

It is always a little iffy trying to analyze an FCS/FBS game because of the perception that the FBS team may have of their opponent and preparation could suffer. If they underestimate them, they can get bushwhacked. Sometimes the FCS team is just better that day. Not saying what exactly happened here, but you never know for sure. In any event, it was good performance regardless and Samford did something else in that game that deserves mentioning. They scored more points on Miss St than S Ala, USC, LSU, UMass, Auburn, BYU, or Kentucky did. That would be every opponent Miss St faced so far. Nice.

CID1990
November 4th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Man o Man is that the truth. Despite what my Bellhop friends seem to think, I have watched A LOT of football in the past 40+ years (played and Coached a good bit too)...and I feel like my eyes are playing tricks on me when I watch that El Cid Offense. 1st of all, it looks like they have 2 (or more) men in motion on almost every play. They don't now, although they did fairly frequently 2 years ago. Now, they just have precision-timing on their snap count and great 'ball get-off' by their O-Line and their Backs. Then, as SU Dog said, you'll see a play that looks like it's gone for No Gain or maybe 1 or 2 yards at the most...and they'll un-pile, spot the ball (usually correctly), and they've gained 4 or 5 yards. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I bet no one can find a video of 1 single play in the past 3 years where Renew has not fallen forward on contact (usually for an extra yard or 3). It adds up...and not being able to get off the field takes a heckuva toll on the opposing Defense. As much as I hate it, the Bellhops really do run a great Offensive system. It's certainly not pretty to the typical Football watcher of today, but no one can deny that it has been PAINFULLY successful for them. While I'm feeling charitable, I will admit that when they do pitch it on the edge and/or run one of their whirly-bird counter-plays, I do find those plays to be 'pretty'...though, to be honest and, maybe a bit uncharitable, those types of plays are where they, on occasion, have hurt themselves by putting the ball on the ground...and losing it...usually, only against CSU though....the rest of the time it seems to bounce back into their darn hands.

All that said, Sammy runs a highly successful offense system also...and I don't know how to stop Sammy's (maybe some DC's do; but I don't) - it's almost as if they have to beat themselves or you have to outscore them. I (and most DC's) do know HOW to stop El Cid's O, but it's more a matter of CAN a Defense do it. So far, this season only Furman, Wofford, and Mercer (with the exception of 1 70 yard run on the 2nd play of the game) have been able to slow their GRINDING Running game down.

Looking forward to see how this game is going to play out. I'm expecting a high-scoring affair, but still cogitating on which team I'm picking and what that final score will be...

If you spilled as much spunk as you do ink you'd be the King of Mothervuking Swaziland

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kdinva
November 5th, 2016, 09:02 AM
....in the past 3 years where Renew has not fallen forward on contact (usually for an extra yard or 3). It adds up......

Renew is Citadel's best FB since Travis Jervey...

Milktruck74
November 5th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Hodges's looks good today. Hitting his marks.

- - - Updated - - -

And that run....wheels are good too.