PDA

View Full Version : Lafayeete Hires Consultant to Study Athletics

carney2
November 2nd, 2016, 11:55 AM
http://www.goleopards.com/genrel/110116aad.html

A bunch of academorons throwing money down the toilet. Pay me, or Franks Tanks, or Pard 4 Life, or ... with a leftover Halloween candy bar and we could tell them all they need to know. In the end the problem is them - the people who will sign the checks to the consultants. So, what are the chances that they will get the real story?!! Better yet, what are the chances they will "listen?"

Franks Tanks
November 2nd, 2016, 11:58 AM

A bunch of academorons throwing money down the toilet. Pay me, or Franks Tanks, or Pard 4 Life, or ... with a leftover Halloween candy bar and we could tell them all they need to know. In the end the problem is them - the people who will sign the checks to the consultants. So, what are the chances that they will get the real story?!! Better yet, what are the chances they will "listen?"
True, but one solid theory is that the consultants are needed to support what is already known, and hopefully help faculty buy in. Just the fact that she publically stated that we will be working toward being more competitive is s good sign.

superman7515
November 2nd, 2016, 12:16 PM
Hope this isn't another one of those "shut down football to play better basketball" consultations.

Franks Tanks
November 2nd, 2016, 12:19 PM
No, it states the purpose is to help be more competitive. It is not about dropping football or D3. Also I think Lafayette would be more likely to move to the pioneer league or D3 before dropping football.

Fordham
November 2nd, 2016, 12:22 PM
If Franks is right I think this is a very good thing for Lafayette

superman7515
November 2nd, 2016, 12:25 PM
No, it states the purpose is to help be more competitive. It is not about dropping football or D3. Also I think Lafayette would be more likely to move to the pioneer league or D3 before dropping football.

It states the purpose is for the athletic department to be more competitive, not the football team, hence it being in the general news and not the football news section. I'm not suggesting they would/will recommend it, but consultants seemingly always come to the conclusion that the school wants them to come to, so hopefully that's not what they're being paid to suggest. Heck, if Lafayette fans/alums don't even know how to spell the college name, "Lafayeete Hires Consultant to Study Athletics," then what makes anyone think it will be missed?

LeopardBall10
November 2nd, 2016, 12:30 PM
I agree with Franks on this, too. Ever since the new president took over she has used campus-wide committees to garner support for initiatives initially opposed by one campus group. This is what she did when she wanted to change the faculty view on greek life or the Trustee opinion on enrollment increases and building plans.

I think she already knows what the issues are and how she would like to fix them, but bringing in a consultant allows her to use them as the barer of bad news while also letting the faculty and trustees feel like it was their idea all along. Although others are concerned about which Trustees and which faculty members will be selected to participate. Choose the wrong ones and your committee is going to hit a wall.

LeopardBall10
November 2nd, 2016, 12:33 PM
It states the purpose is for the athletic department to be more competitive, not the football team, hence it being in the general news and not the football news section. I'm not suggesting they would/will recommend it, but consultants seemingly always come to the conclusion that the school wants them to come to, so hopefully that's not what they're being paid to suggest. Heck, if Lafayette fans/alums don't even know how to spell the college name, "Lafayeete Hires Consultant to Study Athletics," then what makes anyone think it will be missed?

If this is the case then the entire alumni base is being quietly led to the slaughterhouse. We wouldn't even see it coming.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2016, 01:14 PM
The appointment of this group is really important. One thing is missing: Alumni on the Committee. I wonder why we were omitted? And depending who the Trustees are ... I hate to even think about it.

The following quote was pulled from Lafayette's message board, and concerns me.

Go Green
November 2nd, 2016, 01:19 PM
Dartmouth did this around 2009 with respect to the football team. I thought some of the conclusions were beyond obvious, but having it laid out in a report helped make some necessary changes.

Anyone who cares, here is the AD's summary of the report's conclusions.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=204772892

There were a few conclusions that were less publicized, but still implemented (and improvement resulted).

RichH2
November 2nd, 2016, 01:25 PM
I agree with Franks on this, too. Ever since the new president took over she has used campus-wide committees to garner support for initiatives initially opposed by one campus group. This is what she did when she wanted to change the faculty view on greek life or the Trustee opinion on enrollment increases and building plans.

I think she already knows what the issues are and how she would like to fix them, but bringing in a consultant allows her to use them as the barer of bad news while also letting the faculty and trustees feel like it was their idea all along. Although others are concerned about which Trustees and which faculty members will be selected to participate. Choose the wrong ones and your committee is going to hit a wall.

Hope you are right 10. Like beating Pards but it will be a lot more fun if Pards could actually compete more than just a few times each year.

Franks Tanks
November 2nd, 2016, 01:42 PM
The following quote was pulled from Lafayette's message board, and concerns me.

Everyone is reading way too into this. The press release was very short, and had little detail. Alumni may be on the committee, we just don't know. What is important is that for the 1st time since I've been associated with Lafayette, we have a president who has a stated a goal to improve athletic competitiveness. A consultant and committee is her preferred method to start the conversation, which is fine, but the important part is that she sees a problem and desires a fix.

KPSUL
November 2nd, 2016, 03:14 PM
Dartmouth did this around 2009 with respect to the football team. I thought some of the conclusions were beyond obvious, but having it laid out in a report helped make some necessary changes.

Anyone who cares, here is the AD's summary of the report's conclusions.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=204772892

There were a few conclusions that were less publicized, but still implemented (and improvement resulted).

Did they stop referring to the report once the League schedule started this season?

Lehigh'98
November 2nd, 2016, 03:50 PM
Interesting Dartmouth was looking to get rid of UNH as an OOC in that report, but they have been playing them at least the last two years.

crusader11
November 2nd, 2016, 03:53 PM
It helps that Dartmouth's former president, as of 2009, was a huge proponent of football.

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2016, 05:21 PM

Consultants tell you what you already know and like to fluff if it with fancy talk.

"Conclusion: Lafayette can become more competitive by... moving to D3 because they have more resources than Ursinus and we have nice buildings"

Gate83
November 2nd, 2016, 06:35 PM
Hiring a consultant is CYA for whatever the Board & Prez have already decided they want to do. After 35 years of lousy presidents at Colgate, we've finally got a guy (and board) where if they hired one of these firms I'd be OK with it. Here's to hoping you guys have the right folks in place...

SUPharmacist
November 2nd, 2016, 07:44 PM
Consultants come back with FBS recommendation and entire patriot league follows them up ��.

LeopardBall10
November 3rd, 2016, 08:00 AM
Interesting quote from the Dartmouth release on their consultant's methodology:

Rick made two visits to the campus and met with Buddy, his assistants, current players, senior athletics administrators, support personnel, Dean Crady, Dean of Admissions Maria Laskaris ‘84, Vice-President for Development Carrie Pelzel ‘54a, and alumni representatives, including former Dartmouth AD Seaver Peters ’54 and former Big Green coach and longtime Syracuse AD Jake Crouthamel ‘60. Rick also consulted with the current Ivy athletic directors and researched our competitors’ programs.

I would think that any consultant worth the money would meet with the AD, all of the coaches, Deans, etc. But I think it is important that current players on each team are interviewed, along with former players/alumni representatives. It is easy to measure program wins and loses, but the consultant and the committee will need to also quantify the culture of the department.

Go Green
November 3rd, 2016, 08:06 AM
Interesting Dartmouth was looking to get rid of UNH as an OOC in that report, but they have been playing them at least the last two years.

At the time, Dartmouth had a contract with UNH for 15 games. As of 2009, 13 of those games had been played. My understanding is that UNH agreed to kick the last two games down the road (2014 and 2016) to allow Dartmouth to implement the necessary improvements to regain competitiveness.

Personally (and I don't think I'm alone here), I'd like to see the UNH series continue. It sucked when they were good and we were awful. But when both teams are competitive (our Ivy record this year notwithstanding), it can be a fun game.

Go Green
November 3rd, 2016, 08:08 AM
Did they stop referring to the report once the League schedule started this season?

This season has been far and away the craziest season I've seen from a Dartmouth team. Never can I recall such a Jekyll and Hyde team.

carney2
November 3rd, 2016, 08:23 AM
for the 1st time since I've been associated with Lafayette, we have a president who has a stated a goal to improve athletic competitiveness. A consultant and committee is her preferred method to start the conversation, which is fine, but the important part is that she sees a problem and desires a fix.

Et tu, FT, et tu? The cheerleaders on the Lafayette board continue to give President Byerly a pass on this. Time to face facts: she is part of the problem. She was hired because she was deemed right for the culture.

2ram
November 3rd, 2016, 11:33 AM
cool. so lafayette will lead the way on redshirting and an increase to 63 schollies!

who knew! rawr leopards, rawr!

citdog
November 3rd, 2016, 11:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OvQIGDg4I

catamount man
November 3rd, 2016, 08:05 PM
Won't go into too much detail but I clearly remember WCU doing something similar like this back in 2007 with it mainly focusing on how to improve the football program. A LOT of alums were like "Isn't this the reason we have an athletic director?"

All the best Lafayette.

ngineer
November 3rd, 2016, 09:24 PM
True, but one solid theory is that the consultants are needed to support what is already known, and hopefully help faculty buy in. Just the fact that she publically stated that we will be working toward being more competitive is s good sign.

There is an old adage, "Consult enough experts and your hypothesis will be confirmed."

ngineer
November 3rd, 2016, 09:27 PM
Consultants tell you what you already know and like to fluff if it with fancy talk.

"Conclusion: Lafayette can become more competitive by... moving to D3 because they have more resources than Ursinus and we have nice buildings"

Me thinks they will suggest creating a whole new D4 division just for Laughyette. That way the Leotards can do what they do best.....play with themselves.xsmiley_wix

ngineer
November 3rd, 2016, 09:34 PM
Et tu, FT, et tu? The cheerleaders on the Lafayette board continue to give President Byerly a pass on this. Time to face facts: she is part of the problem. She was hired because she was deemed right for the culture.

Very true. She came from some small New England D3 school with strong rep in the classics, etc., and not with a big athletic history. I'd be concerned her vision is another Swarthmore. Luckily, we've got a new president who really appreciates the importance of having a vibrant athletic program. Of course, Simon came from Virginia and, previously, Duke, so he came with a totally different perspective. He was barely on campus last year and whole-heartedly agreed to be on the cover of the Lehigh Wrestling Club membership brochure urging people to join, because "Simon Sez..." An attitude, atmosphere, and vision is the job of the President.

carney2
November 4th, 2016, 08:49 AM
All of this makes Frank Tavani's status even more confusing. "Studies" generally take some time, and we shouldn't expect this one to be submitted until well into 2017. Further, Lafayette is a copy of the ultra-secretive Star Chamber, and only carefully planned leaks will trickle into public attention. Finally, academia moves at a glacial pace, and any movement will need instrumentation from the Geology Department to be detected. If Frank resigns, retires, or otherwise is moved aside, what coach in his right mind would step into this bubbling cauldron of losing and turmoil?

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Very true. She came from some small New England D3 school with strong rep in the classics, etc., and not with a big athletic history. I'd be concerned her vision is another Swarthmore. Luckily, we've got a new president who really appreciates the importance of having a vibrant athletic program. Of course, Simon came from Virginia and, previously, Duke, so he came with a totally different perspective. He was barely on campus last year and whole-heartedly agreed to be on the cover of the Lehigh Wrestling Club membership brochure urging people to join, because "Simon Sez..." An attitude, atmosphere, and vision is the job of the President.

No, it is not about D3 good grief. The school is growing. We committed to scholarships. Yes, we need to get better, but we are not going to D3.

ngineer
November 4th, 2016, 11:30 AM
No, it is not about D3 good grief. The school is growing. We committed to scholarships. Yes, we need to get better, but we are not going to D3.

Didn't say you were going D3. My point is that she comes from a D3 atmosphere/philosophy, which I don't see meshing well with the College's previous commitment to scholarships, etc.

carney2
November 4th, 2016, 11:57 AM

I'm not taking issue with you, but how can you be so certain? These "studies" are seldom begun without a preconceived agenda, and the power base at the College is decidedly anti-athletics and would like nothing better than to see it further de-emphasized.