PDA

View Full Version : UMass 2007 Schedule

KAUMASS
January 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM
FYI to all AGS'ers

2007 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Sept. 1 HOLY CROSS (Campus Appreciation Day)
Sept. 8 at Colgate
Sept. 15 TOWSON* (Family Day)
Sept. 22 at Maine*
Sept. 29 at Boston College
Oct. 13 VILLANOVA* (Band Day)
Oct. 20 NORTHEASTERN* (Homecoming)
Oct. 27 at William & Mary*
Nov. 3 at Rhode Island*
Nov. 10 NEW HAMPSHIRE * (Veterans & Public Safety Day)
Nov. 17 at Hofstra*

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Not bad, but only five home games and only one after mid-October's Homecoming. :(

ysubigred
January 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM
FYI to all AGS'ers

2007 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Sept. 1 HOLY CROSS (Campus Appreciation Day)
Sept. 8 at Colgate
Sept. 15 TOWSON* (Family Day)
Sept. 22 at Maine*
Sept. 29 at Boston College
Oct. 13 VILLANOVA* (Band Day)
Oct. 20 NORTHEASTERN* (Homecoming)
Oct. 27 at William & Mary*
Nov. 3 at Rhode Island*
Nov. 10 NEW HAMPSHIRE * (Veterans & Public Safety Day)
Nov. 17 at Hofstra*

Question for you? Why is it that; James Madison seems to slip your schedule every year? Drop HC and add JMU :hurray:

MplsBison
January 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM
At BC should be an interesting one.

ChickenMan
January 11th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Question for you? Why is it that; James Madison seems to slip your schedule every year? Drop HC and add JMU :hurray:

UMass played JMU five years in a row ('01-'05)... prior to last year.

pantherclaw
January 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I'd like to see a CAA/Gateway thing. Like a member of the CAA play a member of the Gateway, kinda like the ACC-Big 10 challenge. obviously not all the CAA would play, but i think itd be interesting. Good scheddy though, i agree the BC game should be good.

andy7171
January 11th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Two 6 team divisions. 8 A10/CAA scheduled games a year. Each school plays all the team in their division. and 3 from the other. Leaving 3 A10/CAA schools not played for each school.

BTW, they played them in '00, '02, '03, '04, '05

ysubigred
January 11th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Two 6 team divisions. 8 A10/CAA scheduled games a year. Each school plays all the team in their division. and 3 from the other. Leaving 3 A10/CAA schools not played for each school.

I understand that BUT. Last year we had to hear how good JMU was and the same for UMASS. Why can't the best of the A-10 play every year and leave off some of the cream puff's ???

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 01:29 PM
And will in '08 and '09.

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Why can't the best of the A-10 play every year and leave off some of the cream puff's ???
Ahh, therein lies the problem. Tell me who will be the best and who will be a cream puff any year in the CAA. Always tough to say.

ChickenMan
January 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I understand that BUT. Last year we had to hear how good JMU was and the same for UMASS. Why can't the best of the A-10 play every year and leave off some of the cream puff's ???

The current system requires the A10 teams to play half of the other division (three opponents) each year... I'm not 100% sure... but I think those opponents rotate every three years. So UMass would play say UD, W&M and Towson for three conescutive years and then switch to Villanova, JMU and Richmond for the next three years.

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM
The current system requires the A10 teams to play half of the other division (three opponents) each year... I'm not 100% sure... but I think those opponents rotate every three years. So UMass would play say UD, W&M and Towson for three conescutive years and then switch to Villanova, JMU and Richmond for the next three years.
Every two years, so home and home then switch. Also the same three teams in the south face the same three teams in the north and then the two groups in each division switch.

Husky Alum
January 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM
That's how it works.

NU's "trios" are W&M, Towson and Villanova - who return to the schedule in 08 and 09 - and Richmond, JMU, and UD - who we played last year.

Umass74
January 11th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Holy Cross is a great pick-up for UMass. We had lost a lot of our natural New England rivals. UConn was always our biggest draw. Add them to the loss of Harvard and Holy Cross, it really hurt our attendance. If it's a night game we should get 15,000+

BTW, we played JMU 01 through 05. We beat the Dukes in 01,02,03 and 05...

ysubigred
January 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Ahh, therein lies the problem. Tell me who will be the best and who will be a cream puff any year in the CAA. Always tough to say.

Agreed. I guess I need to understand having 12 teams in a conference opposed to just 7 like the GFC.

Sorry :p

KAUMASS
January 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Agreed. I guess I need to understand having 12 teams in a conference opposed to just 7 like the GFC.

Sorry :p

Hey ysubigred,

Good year for Youngstown this year..the program looks like it has come back..we both ran into a buzz saw called Appalachian this year!!

Do you have a lot of recruits at Youngstown that are in state kids? My first thought is that the best might go to Ohio State, but I'm not sure most kids want to wait 3 or 4 years to start and they must get their choice of kids from all over the country. I would think Miami of Ohio would be even with Youngstown-who else do you compete with for kids?

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Agreed. I guess I need to understand having 12 teams in a conference
I don't like it. I'd just rather just have 9 and play everyone. I will say though, I've never seen it where all three partners are tough or weak so it hasn't really had a big impact on SOS compared to the way it was.

ysubigred
January 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hey ysubigred,

Good year for Youngstown this year..the program looks like it has come back..we both ran into a buzz saw called Appalachian this year!!

Do you have a lot of recruits at Youngstown that are in state kids? My first thought is that the best might go to Ohio State, but I'm not sure most kids want to wait 3 or 4 years to start and they must get their choice of kids from all over the country. I would think Miami of Ohio would be even with Youngstown-who else do you compete with for kids?

Thanks same with the UMASS team. I don't know what part of APP St. I was impressed with the most. O or D was simply dominating for them in the playoff's.

Most of the Youngstown players comes from Ohio. Y-town is the only 1FCS team in a close area and in Ohio. We compete with mainly Kent State, Akron, Pitt, and WVU for great recruits. Ohio State get's the cream of the crop. Dayton and D-III MT. Union get some good recruits also that could compete at the 1FCS level. Then you have to figure in that we also lose out to some distance schools like Miami of Ohio, Toledo, Cincinnati, Penn St., Ohio University, and Bowling Green all with some great kids. Recruiting at Y-town is no piece of cake. You would think we could benifit from transfers with all the 1BS schools close to us but that don't seem to be the case. Most of our transfers come from out of state :eek:

Lehigh Football Nation
January 11th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Holy Cross is a great pick-up for UMass. We had lost a lot of our natural New England rivals. UConn was always our biggest draw. Add them to the loss of Harvard and Holy Cross, it really hurt our attendance. If it's a night game we should get 15,000+

BTW, we played JMU 01 through 05. We beat the Dukes in 01,02,03 and 05...

As much as I love HC playing UMass this year, I am less clear on guaranteeing 15,000+ for this game. It should be a nice turnout, but HC isn't the best travelling school in the world.

Of course, the UMass/Lafayette only had 5,124 fans at the playoff game.... in the worst fan accounting in the history of the playoffs (it was a damn-near sellout). If you get "5,124", you should be happy :p

dennisdent
January 11th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I agree that HC doesn't travel well; but the game usually (at least in the past series) pulls in UMass fans and others from Central/Eastern Mass who work/live around fans from both schools. Kind of Western Mass vs Central Mass college football rivalry...A lot of the attendance will depend on the weather, as usual. :D

KAUMASS
January 11th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Holy Cross is a decent, legitimate FCS game, won't hurt SOS or raise any criticism's like a StonyBrook in the past..although teams like Stonybrook and UAlbany and Central CT with additional scholies will not and are not cupcakes anymore..ie..Albany defeated Delaware, Central CT defeated Georgia Southern..ouch!!

I personally, with all the talk and heresay about upgrading to BS and possibly the Big East, and without the funding and support from the state, would like to see UMass schedule 3 BS teams per year for the next couple of years and fund their upgrade and stadium plans with the guarantee money from those games..Montana got $600,000 to play Iowa this year..holy cash batman!!

I will dig up the survey UMass did 4 years ago about going to BS level and funding it privately and what type of bucks it would take without any state support and post it..

Go...gate
January 15th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Nice to see UMass playing another PL team. Most of our conference schools are natural regional rivals.

ysubigred
January 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Nice to see UMass playing another PL team. Most of our conference schools are natural regional rivals.

I would like to see the Guins get in on some of the PL action. Closer than the teams we play in the GFC :thumbsup:

saint0917
January 16th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Of course, the UMass/Lafayette only had 5,124 fans at the playoff game.... in the worst fan accounting in the history of the playoffs (it was a damn-near sellout). If you get "5,124", you should be happy :p

Uh....I was at that game and there was at least 13,000+. Teams under-report so they can keep most of the gate money.

AZGrizFan
January 16th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Glad we don't have that problem. :cool: ;) :p

DrG
January 16th, 2007, 09:24 PM
The HC game is on Labor Day weekend, just before the students return to campus. By comparison, we only drew 8,000 for the Colgate game on the same weekend last year, although the weather was iffy if I remember correctly. It's less than an hour drive from Worcester, so that may help. Playing it under the lights would definitely help but I don't see that happening. In any case, HC should be a better local draw .. no disrespect to 'Gate; it's an old long-standing regional rivalry.

TheValleyRaider
January 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Knowing that UMass is losing some key pieces going into next season, I wouldn't be surprised if they struggled. A tough CAA schedule mixed in with OOC against an improving HC and a trip to Colgate where they've historically struggled could spell a tough season. If I'm a UMass fan though, I like this schedule, especially the history of seeing Holy Cross again, plus the rivalries with BC and Colgate. Too bad this Originally-4-now-5-year series has to end, it's been fun matching-up with a top program like UMass. Perhaps we'll see each other again in years down the line. Good luck this year, but not too much on 9/8 ;)

89Hen
January 17th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Glad we don't have that problem. :cool: ;) :p
Must be nice to have an auto auto. :nod: :D

th0m
January 17th, 2007, 08:56 AM

What cream puffs? Please elaborate?

DrG
January 17th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Too bad this Originally-4-now-5-year series has to end, it's been fun matching-up with a top program like UMass. Perhaps we'll see each other again in years down the line. Good luck this year, but not too much on 9/8 ;)
Agreed. It appears the PL will continue to be a part of UMass' OOC schedule for the foreseeable future. I'd also like to see Lehigh and Lafayette in the mix at some point.

WrenFGun
January 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I'm pretty excited about UNH's return to UMass towards the end of the season. If UNH can even survive their horrifyingly tough schedule to begin the season (@Marshall, @JMU, @Richmond) then they have a shot to make this game pretty important. It'll be nice to travel back to the site of a really great playoff game, too. I'll tell you, UMass fans don't really like UNH Fans from what I could tell, and it makes for a pretty rowdy atmosphere.

A couple of my buddies and I were walking into the stadium when we got surrounded by the UMass band, who played their fight song while walking around us. Good stuff.

DrG
January 17th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty excited about UNH's return to UMass towards the end of the season. If UNH can even survive their horrifyingly tough schedule to begin the season (@Marshall, @JMU, @Richmond) then they have a shot to make this game pretty important. It'll be nice to travel back to the site of a really great playoff game, too. I'll tell you, UMass fans don't really like UNH Fans from what I could tell, and it makes for a pretty rowdy atmosphere.

A couple of my buddies and I were walking into the stadium when we got surrounded by the UMass band, who played their fight song while walking around us. Good stuff.
This game will probably start at noon as opposed to the 2:30 kickoff for the playoff game, leaving 2 1/2 fewer hours of drinking for the student tailgaters. Which is a good thing for everybody. :nod:

WrenFGun
January 19th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Heh, I'll tell you. Walking back to the car after that game was like walking down death row. I swear we were almost dead. And it wasn't just because of the frigid cold.