PDA

View Full Version : Longhorns Looking to Tranfer - Sam or SFA?

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2005, 07:48 AM
This comes from DallasNews.com. Three solid Div I players. I'd personally love to see a transfer WR as we've already got a transfer from Houston and another from Virginia Tech in. That's my biggest concern. A defensive end would not be a bad pickup too as you always like depth there, but I think Williams would have less problems transferring to SFA (due to academic reasons). We'll see what happens, but you'd think Sam is closer to returning to national prestige than an SFA on this level.
*-------
Texas junior defensive end Mike Williams, who had six sacks as a sophomore but missed last season because of academic issues, has again run into academic difficulty and is preparing to transfer, according to three sources familiar with the situation.

According to one source, Williams took an unofficial visit to Stephen F. Austin last weekend, along with former UT linebacker Garnet Smith and former Longhorns receiver Robert Timmons of Flower Mound. Williams has also looked into transferring to Sam Houston State, according to the source.

Both schools are members of Division I-AA, which means Williams could transfer and play immediately.

ChickenMan
July 12th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Texas junior defensive end Mike Williams, who had six sacks as a sophomore but missed last season because of academic issues, has again run into academic difficulty and is preparing to transfer, according to three sources familiar with the situation.

If Williams has 'academic' issues that would prevent him from playing at Texas... could he be accepted at SHS and if so... would he be academicaly eligible?

kats89
July 12th, 2005, 08:04 AM
If Williams has 'academic' issues that would prevent him from playing at Texas... could he be accepted at SHS and if so... would he be academicaly eligible?

He would have to make his grades just like he was having to make his grades at UT. If he is having grade problems, chances are he might have to sit out a year to become elgible.

AgentOrange
July 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM
As for the others, would they have to sit out a year after the transfer?

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Brent in San Marcos reported, "Dont look for SHSU to be in the thick of things with Williams. Smith is at Southern and Timmons could end up at Valdosta St. Basically all three visited because they are friends. I could see Williams at SFA unless another team in the running turns up the heat."

Sly Fox
July 12th, 2005, 02:25 PM
All three of those guys are potentially dominant players ... Williams & Smith were impact players at UT prior to their current predicament. And Timmons has the same upside.

thadude45
July 12th, 2005, 02:31 PM
They should transfer to Northwestern State!!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror]Texas junior defensive end Mike Williams, who had six sacks as a sophomore but missed last season because of academic issues, has again run into academic difficulty and is preparing to transfer, according to three sources familiar with the situation.QUOTE]

If this guy couldn't make it at a 1-A football factory he must have Andy Katzenmoyer(sp??) intelligence. Running into academic trouble twice at a place like Texas, Miami, FSU, Ohio State, is not saying much. He might be a great player but it certaintly does not seem like he'll bring much of anything to Sam Houston or anywhere else that isn't a community college. By adding this guy to your team you school is saying being a good athlete is more important then doing well in the classroom.

Sly Fox
July 12th, 2005, 05:41 PM
News Flash! This is the State of Texas you are taljking about. We are VERY serious about our football down here.

And cut these kids some slack. Most of them work hard to get into school and just simply can't handle the classwork while playing ball. No, they aren't likely to work at NASA as rocket scientists anytime soon. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't get a second chance somewhere with relaxed classroom standards.

ChickenMan
July 12th, 2005, 06:21 PM
News Flash! This is the State of Texas you are taljking about. We are VERY serious about our football down here.

http://www.cca-carvers.org/images/batte_images/football_player.jpg

;)

Josh
July 12th, 2005, 07:36 PM
This comes from DallasNews.com. Three solid Div I players. I'd personally love to see a transfer WR as we've already got a transfer from Houston and another from Virginia Tech in. That's my biggest concern. A defensive end would not be a bad pickup too as you always like depth there, but I think Williams would have less problems transferring to SFA (due to academic reasons). We'll see what happens, but you'd think Sam is closer to returning to national prestige than an SFA on this level.
*-------

According to one source, Williams took an unofficial visit to Stephen F. Austin last weekend, along with former UT linebacker Garnet Smith and former Longhorns receiver Robert Timmons of Flower Mound. Williams has also looked into transferring to Sam Houston State, according to the source.

Both schools are members of Division I-AA, which means Williams could transfer and play immediately.

Mike Williams is an NFL Prospect who is an All-Southland candidate once he steps on the field in the league. I like his game and if he gets his grades together he could be one to watch out for.

kats89
July 13th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Brent in San Marcos reported, "Dont look for SHSU to be in the thick of things with Williams. Smith is at Southern and Timmons could end up at Valdosta St. Basically all three visited because they are friends. I could see Williams at SFA unless another team in the running turns up the heat."

I wouldn't count Whitten out on anything.

Bub
July 13th, 2005, 10:21 AM

And cut these kids some slack. Most of them work hard to get into school and just simply can't handle the classwork while playing ball. No, they aren't likely to work at NASA as rocket scientists anytime soon. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't get a second chance somewhere with relaxed classroom standards.

Why should a I-A student/athlete assume there will be lesser classroom standards at a I-AA school? I don't think that is true. If these players could transfer to another I-A school without sitting out a year they would do it in a heart beat. Yet I-AA schools line up for these guys like addicts waiting for a fix, regardless of the problems they have. See UNI picking up Hakim Hill after all his problems. I'm bothered by this. I'm all for players having opportunity, afterall the demands of I-A football aren't for everyone. Absolutely no issue with a kid who decides I-AA is more suited to his situation, just bothered by the view that I-AA should serve as a dumping ground for I-A problem players.This is a general rant and has nothing to do with the kids which are the original topic.

Brent
July 13th, 2005, 02:04 PM
He would have to make his grades just like he was having to make his grades at UT. If he is having grade problems, chances are he might have to sit out a year to become elgible.

Williams hasnt been at UT for over a year now. He's been at ACC and failing there I might add. Put your money on D-II for Williams and Timmons. If Smith leaves Southern...not likely but if he did, he would have to sit out a year with one year remaining because he used his One-Time NCAA transfer to Southern University this past spring.

I really wish some writers would research more before writing this crap.

blackfordpu
July 13th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Getting any one of those guys would be a treat. Lets hope they like what they see in Huntsville.

Though, Sam is a pretty tough academic school, they would have to work to keep their grades up.

JohnStOnge
July 13th, 2005, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror]Texas junior defensive end Mike Williams, who had six sacks as a sophomore but missed last season because of academic issues, has again run into academic difficulty and is preparing to transfer, according to three sources familiar with the situation.QUOTE]

If this guy couldn't make it at a 1-A football factory he must have Andy Katzenmoyer(sp??) intelligence. Running into academic trouble twice at a place like Texas, Miami, FSU, Ohio State, is not saying much. He might be a great player but it certaintly does not seem like he'll bring much of anything to Sam Houston or anywhere else that isn't a community college. By adding this guy to your team you school is saying being a good athlete is more important then doing well in the classroom.

While it's true that big time football schools let guys who are top football players in that would never get in without being football players then devote substantial resources to holding their hands in an effort to see to it that they're successful, the University of Texas actually has a pretty decent academic reputation. US News and World Reports, for instance, has Lehigh ranked 36th among national universities and Texas...while somewhat lower...comparably ranked at 46th. To kind of put it into perspective UMass is rated 98th and Northeastern is ranked 120th among national universities.

Of course my own belief is that we don't know if academic reputations reflect reality anyway. We talk as though it's supposed to be harder to get through highly rated schools yet we rank schools more highly when they have higher graduation rates. So, actually, the schools such that a lower percentage of students are successful in passing are the ones that are, according to the conventional wisdom, the poorer schools. The truth is there has never been a true quantitative assessment to answer questions such as: "Of Texas and Lehigh, which is the most difficult to get through in a given degree program?" or "For a given degree program, is a Texas or Lehigh graduate better prepared upon graduation?"

TxSt02
July 13th, 2005, 08:31 PM
"Of Texas and Lehigh, which is the most difficult to get through in a given degree program?" or "For a given degree program, is a Texas or Lehigh graduate better prepared upon graduation?"

Probably better than the chefs that McNeese puts out! Just kidding!

http://www.pc.maricopa.edu/marketing/gallery/PC_viewbook_revised2/images/Chef.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 13th, 2005, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=Go Lehigh TU owl]
"Of Texas and Lehigh, which is the most difficult to get through in a given degree program?" or "For a given degree program, is a Texas or Lehigh graduate better prepared upon graduation?"

I live in PA and have learned to laugh at the rankings when large flagship universities are included in those rankings. Penn State is ranked either slightly above or below Lehigh and i think that's bogus to some extent. Penn State must accept any PA resident into one of their 10 or so campus's if they have graduated from a public HS in the state. Also we have one of the satalite campus's hear in Scranton and it's the butt of all jokes, i work with someone who dropped out of HS got his GED and now carries a 4.0 from a PSU campus often referred to as Worthless and the 13th grade. What irks me most about these PSU satalite campus's is when you get a degree all it says is PSU inferring you did the same level of work as those students at main, which is a joke. The campus by me is often considered easier than a couple of low level Community College's, one being Lackawanna JC where a lot of dumber than rocks football players come before going on to Miami, FSU etc. Still at the end of the day their diploma will say Penn State University and they can brag they went to a top 40 institution :rolleyes: when most couldn't hack it in HS let alone any other college.

JohnStOnge
July 14th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Well, Lehigh guy, in some strange way we agree. But the University of Texas is an interesting situation. It has a LOT of money. Back in the 80s or 90s I remember reading about how it went raiding highly rated institutions...particularly the Ivy League...around the country. It'd just make faculty/staff members it coveted financial offers they couldn't refuse and brought them to Austin. It's got the physical infrastructure too. When it comes to equipment, labs, etc. there's pratically no limit to what it can afford. That doesn't necessarily translate into quality but there's no doubt that they're willing to spend the money toward that end.

All that said, most Division I-A and I-AA football programs have players that wouldn't be in their schools and wouldn't make it through their schools if they weren't football players.

Sly Fox
July 14th, 2005, 09:17 AM
UT doesn't have similar entrance requirements to Penn State. Even though it is the largest university in America, it does have legitimate entrance requirements.

Their business school in particular is top notch. And yes, thanks a fortune made on oilfield in West Texas the school has money coming out of its ears.

txstman
July 14th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Texas State is considered to have the third toughest entrance requirements for state universities in Texas behind Texas and Texas A&M. Definately makes it difficult to take on academic casulties from other universities. Matasakis did exactly that and I didn't see many take the field the next season at Texas State...McCoy, Hart, Glasper, how many others were one and done after the Matasakis season? Now I don't know if those guys were academic problems, I just know they were not back on the field. But if so, I bet the Bobcats learned fast they cannot do that with the level of academics in the classroom at Texas State.

Brent
July 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Texas State is considered to have the third toughest entrance requirements for state universities in Texas behind Texas and Texas A&M. Definately makes it difficult to take on academic casulties from other universities. Matasakis did exactly that and I didn't see many take the field the next season at Texas State...McCoy, Hart, Glasper, how many others were one and done after the Matasakis season? Now I don't know if those guys were academic problems, I just know they were not back on the field. But if so, I bet the Bobcats learned fast they cannot do that with the level of academics in the classroom at Texas State.

Hart was a senior, Johnny McCoy did in fact have grade problems and Glasper quit football.

John Wood (transfer from Miami) is another player that comes to mind. Zane Tomlin (transfer from Missouri) was at Tx State for about 3 weeks. Randy McAdams (transfer from Oklahoma) another 3 week guy here...still at Tx State, quit football.

JohnStOnge
July 15th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I think it's a shame people put so much emphasis on admissions standards when it comes to judging the quailty of a school because it puts pressure on schools to be elitist. I especially hate that state schools do it. I'd prefer it if state schools, in particular, would give every resident of their states that wanted a shot a shot as long as they physically had the space to do it. And if they didn't have the space or the class sizes were too big I wish states would make more space.

Just don't dumb down the education and let everybody sink or swim. If you let everybody in and have a very low graduation rate, that's fine. At least they had a shot. Of course that outlook is discouraged by the counter-intuitive idea that a higher graduation rate means it's a better school.

The sad thing is that there isn't necessarily a cause and effect relationship between admissions standards and quality of education...yet somehow that concept has become institutionalized in prevailing thought.

To me a school like Texas State ought to be letting anybody who's a resident of that state who graduated from high school take their shot in San Marcos if they wanted. Same with University of Texas at Austin. But the system we've established means they get a better reputation if they turn people away...both because they've got the sacred higher admissions standards and the sacred higher graduation rate that goes along with that. I think it's sad that this "nose in the air" mentality has evolved because I think it's totally uneccessary and I don't think you have to lower the ACTUAL quality of the school to let somebody try.