PDA

View Full Version : Article: Griz need to fill sked, dump SDSU

griz37
January 11th, 2007, 07:56 AM
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/01/11/sports/sports03.txt

I didn't know that UM had already bought out the game at South Dakota St. next year, I was really looking forward to traveling to Brookings. : smh :

The next best option would be a home & home w/NDSU, but I wouldn't doubt that NDSU comes here in '07 & the Griz buy them out in '08. :(

WYOBISONMAN
January 11th, 2007, 07:58 AM

I didn't know that UM had already bought out the game at South Dakota St. next year, I was really looking forward to traveling to Brookings. : smh :

The next best option would be a home & home w/NDSU, but I wouldn't doubt that NDSU comes here in '07 & the Griz buy them out in '08. :(

NDSU would only sign a home and home with the Griz if the first game were in Fargo......I have heard that from several folks in our Athletic Department and the Pres.

Cal Poly Mustang
January 11th, 2007, 08:06 AM
NDSU would only sign a home and home with the Griz if the first game were in Fargo......I have heard that from several folks in our Athletic Department and the Pres.

Good! It sounds like teams are catching on to UofM's scheme. It took Cal Poly awhile, but eventually they realized what the pattern was. :nod:

-- Go Mustangs!

RabidRabbit
January 11th, 2007, 08:38 AM
IMHO, 5 games at home and honor the return trip to SDSU is the correct solution. But we have a 21 page discussion about that.

It's time for Montana to get caught on their consistent refusal to honor a home and home. :thumbsup:

Model Citizen
January 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
From the third to last paragraph in Missoulian article:

Moving on could mean a home-and-home with an Ivy League team, or one of the Dakota schools: North Dakota State had Montana State opt out of its 2007 game at Fargo.

Is this for real? Can anyone give details on the Ivy League team?

Model Citizen
January 11th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Playing in Montana would be completely out of character for an Ivy League program. Could this be a case of mistaken identity? William Penn? Cornell College? Columbia School of Broadcasting? ;)

JBB
January 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
The Montana Schoola are smart. They have contracts that leveraged their future position. They are using them to their best advantage. In my modest proposal I see und and USD, the two new move-ups, appearing several times in Montana stadiums with promises to have return games in Dakota. I dont think they need the Great Land Grants right now.

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Playing in Montana would be completely out of character for an Ivy League program.
Not completely. I think both Yale and Princeton did a home and home with San Diego. :twocents:

henfan
January 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Good luck to the Griz trying to find any FCS school stupid enough to load the front end of a home-home with a trip to Missoula.:nod:

Model Citizen
January 11th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Not completely. I think both Yale and Princeton did a home and home with San Diego. :twocents:

Holy Moley! They moved San Diego to Montana?

NE MT GRIZZ
January 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Montana has to take care of the deficit first.
That means buy out the Fort Lewis game and take the biggest money game you can get for the first opening.

As a Montana native who went to college in North Dakota, I would love to see a rivalry start with NDSU for the Grizz's second opening. The Bison deserve to host the next game since they went to Missoula a couple years ago. UM/NDSU should be an annual game.
Playing a regional opponent is a much better idea than playing the Ivy league schools.

89rabbit
January 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM
The Bison deserve to host the next game since they went to Missoula a couple years ago.

Ya know I like your logic, of course the whole reason that the "Grizzly gridders still looking for game to fill gap", as the articles headline reads, is because Montana bought out a 2 for 1 deal with SDSU after we went to Missoula in '05 and '06. :nonono2:

I guess we would deserve to host the next two (one to replace the back end of our 2 for 1 and the next as the front half of a home and home).

Gil Dobie
January 11th, 2007, 10:17 AM
The XDSU's getting into the Gateway, would make a game with the Griz less likely during the regular season. I think both would try and continue their relationships with Cal Poly, UCD and Southern Utah (Mid-Con co-member). That's 11 games right there.

henfan
January 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I don't have a dog in this race, but it's really hard to feel sorry for Montana, given the circumstances. Books can be balanced without leaving other schools in the lerch.

FWIW, UD has a 2-for-1 with SDSU in future seasons.

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM
:confused: You're going to limit this as to no Ivy has been to Montana? I guess you win then. I figured when you said it would be uncharacteristic for an Ivy to do that you were implying they don't do home and homes that far away from the Ivy. :rolleyes:

NE MT GRIZZ
January 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Rabbit, Montana does owe SDSU a home game. Money is such a ****ty excuse but Montana did have to take measures when the old AD dug us a 1 million dollar hole. Hopefully the bridges haven't been burned completely with you guys. If we do schedule again, you guys definitely should host the first game, although I doubt you'll ever get 2 in a row.

89rabbit
January 11th, 2007, 10:29 AM
You best bring a lot of fire trucks.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:jWTn37Qhq-J2eM:http://collections.ic.gc.ca/gatineau/images/gendronburn8x6.JPG

GrizDen
January 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I don't have a dog in this race, but it's really hard to feel sorry for Montana, given the circumstances. Books can be balanced without leaving other schools in the lerch.

FWIW, UD has a 2-for-1 with SDSU in future seasons.

I don't think Montana is asking anyone to feel sorry for them. Like many people before me have stated, Montana shouldn't have bought out the SDSU game this year. They also shouldn't have scheduled a DII squad in Fort Lewis. If the Griz get a big guarantee game, they'll likely buyout Ft. Lewis.

I'm frankly embarrassed that UM continues to show a lack of good faith in the buyouts especially with Cal Poly at home and SDSU at home. I won't however feel bad about buying out a DII squad to get a big money game vs. BCS team.

WYOBISONMAN
January 11th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Ain't nothin' worse than a bunch of pissed off rabbits....;)

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 01:05 PM
With nasty, pointy teeth!

AZBison
January 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
You guys know you love the drama that the XDSU's offer

WYOBISONMAN
January 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
You guys know you love the drama that the XDSU's offer

Hell yes......you all would really have missed out if we had stayed D2!!:D

Mr. C
January 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Are we talking about the Killer Rabbits from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
:D xlolx :nod:

WYOBISONMAN
January 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Are we talking about the Killer Rabbits from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
:D xlolx :nod:

Only if the SDSU fans get too much whisky.:D

Grizalltheway
January 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM

San Diego. That's German for "a whale's v@gina" xlolx

BisonBacker
January 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM

I'm pretty sure after being at Teammakers today and hearing what Gene had to say regarding the BS with BSC teams that if any schedule is ever made with any BSC teams you will travel to Fargo first or there will be no games. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. We've gotten tired and wise to the BSC conference and your AD's way's.

RabidRabbit
January 11th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I'm pretty sure after being at Teammakers today and hearing what Gene had to say regarding the BS with BSC teams that if any schedule is ever made with any BSC teams you will travel to Fargo first or there will be no games. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. We've gotten tired and wise to the BSC conference and your AD's way's.

Is the BIG SKY Conference directing member schools to NOT play the GWFC at the GWFC sites?

In '06, only the Causeway classic between Sac St. and UC Davis was played at the GWFC member school.

The GWFC teams have been playing many games at the Big Sky, and now the Big Sky is NOT going to play at the GWFC homes. What kind of positive behavior pattern is that?

So far, it appears that in '07 -

Montana won't come down to Brookings, SD for the 1 game on their 2 Griz home & 1 Away game contract with SDSU, preferring to play Ft. Lewis at home rather than SDSU away.

Montana State isn't coming down to NDSU, adding Dixie St (or Ft. Lewis) on that date.

Sac St. isn't coming down to Cal Poly, despite a 20 year history.

EWU isn't honoring agreement with UCD?

The BIG SKY appears to be DIRECTING NO OOC away games. Certainly vs the GWFC.

It's time to LET them KNOW, and all the REST OF AGS that the BIG SKY is taking full advantage of their clout, and NOT PLAYING TOUGH SCHOOLS AWAY FROM BIG SKY HOMES. I hope NO MORE SCHOOLS SCHEDULE THE BIG SKY SCHOOLS WITHOUT HAVING THEIR HOME GAME AT HOME FIRST.

To quote a Chicken - BRAWK!!! :eek: :eek:

The Big "Fluffy" doesn't fair so well when the games are not in the mountains.

Come on down, and show us that home field isn't the ONLY REASON that you win these games! :nonono2: :nonono2:

That the Montana AD has the BALLS to propose ANOTHER MONTANA-SDSU game at Montana when won't play in Brookings is xlolx xlolx xlolx

Beware Big Sky, hopefully all FCS teams will make you come to their place first, since it appears that you make the home-n-home, and then buy out the return. Make it a guarantee game instead! At least then you're upfront about what's going to happen.

Ya. I know this is a :deadhorse: but hey, it's more blatant than Big Sky successes on the field.

WYOBISONMAN
January 11th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Weber did return a home game to NDSU. I doubt that there is anything coming like that from the BSC office. OOC Games are scheduled by the individual schools.

RabidRabbit
January 11th, 2007, 06:10 PM

With this article, I feel like the Griz are demonstrating some pretty low-life, snake type behavior!

And here's how rabbits address snakes :nod: :nod: :nod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ez5QPW-ku4

RabidRabbit
January 11th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Weber did return a home game to NDSU. I doubt that there is anything coming like that from the BSC office. OOC Games are scheduled by the individual schools.

Yep, probability of 4 of 9 choosing to not return back ends of home-n-homes in the same year are strickly coincidental. :rolleyes: Hope it doesn't roll to other 5 schools this year, otherwise the 15,000 miles travelled by Davis last year may be low.

BTW, Portland St., thanks for honoring home/home with Davis.

This isn't Iowa, for our hooved Ca compatriots....You have built it (new stadiums) and still can't get anyone to come? :bawling: :bawling:

Look forward to game in Davis this year! :bow: :bow:

BTW, SDSU's schedule for '07 is looking awesome. Thanks Gateway members (WIU, UNI, YSU) for scheduling us for 3 games! :hurray: :hurray:

griz37
January 11th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I am wondering how much longer our AD will continue to use the budget deficit as an excuse not to go on the road. The Griz have played Oregon & Iowa to big pay days in order to balance the budget & yet we are still not there? This Griz fan would much rather travel to Fargo, Brookings or even stay home & watch the Griz take on CP in SLO, then watch a home game vs. Ft. Lewis. The amount of bad blood that is being generated w/all these games being bought out concerns me for future scheduling.

Griz Grunt
January 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM
...Ya. I know this is a :deadhorse: but hey, it's more blatant than Big Sky successes on the field.

Well, at the very least, ya got the :deadhorse: part right!

89rabbit
January 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
You want to see some crying go over to E-Griz. No one is happy that Montana may have to play 2 D-II schools (or maybe NAIA) in '07. :bawling:

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/viewtopic.php?t=19611

Remind us how much do you guys pay for season tickets? xlolx

Cal Poly Mustang
January 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I am wondering how much longer our AD will continue to use the budget deficit as an excuse not to go on the road. The Griz have played Oregon & Iowa to big pay days in order to balance the budget & yet we are still not there? This Griz fan would much rather travel to Fargo, Brookings or even stay home & watch the Griz take on CP in SLO, then watch a home game vs. Ft. Lewis. The amount of bad blood that is being generated w/all these games being bought out concerns me for future scheduling.

I wonder the same thing. Based upon my rough estimates the Griz made around $600,000 between Oregon and Iowa. Throw in 19 regular season home games in the past three years at $300,000 a game, and the combined revenue is $6,300,000. The UofM athletic director wrote the following article that just reaffirms my suspicions that the deficit is just an excuse to stay in Missoula and make more money.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/11/04/grizmania/griz-gameday/gday07.txt

Here's my favorite part of the article.

The additional $200,000 budgeted for football allowed us to hire a dedicated strength and conditioning coach for that sport and its 100-plus student-athletes, as well as purchase some new weight equipment.

It also provided the funding to fly the football team to Weber State this year instead of making the long 500-mile bus trip, plus add to the new salary pool for the coaches.

Lets see the Griz can afford to:

1. Hire new staff
2. Give out raises
3. Buy new equipment
4. Charter a flight to Utah for a game against Weber instead of taking a bus

It just begs the question, why not bus to Weber, and fly to SDSU or SLO.

:confused:

Oh that's right. I forgot about the $1,000,000 deficit. There's no way they could afford to travel to little ol' SLO, CA or Brookings, SD.

-- Go Mustangs!

GRZZ
January 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Ya. I know this is a :deadhorse: but hey, it's more blatant than Big Sky successes on the field.

I know you are upset about this and yes most of us agree with you. But taking shots at Big Sky play is bordering on smack, or it would be if the moderators didn't agree with the point you are trying to make. And you can't discount that Montana is a member of the Big Sky and has a long playoff streak and a couple of National Championships. We are upset too, you already pointed that out. So leave all of our Big Sky Conference players who work hard every day and give their all out of your whining. We all agree.

Griz Grunt
January 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM
You want to see some crying go over to E-Griz. No one is happy that Montana may have to play 2 D-II schools (or maybe NAIA) in '07. :bawling:

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/viewtopic.php?t=19611

Remind us how much do you guys pay for season tickets? xlolx

http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/old-crybaby-rabbit-R.gif Mere pikers when compared to the expertise exhibited byhttp://people.montana.com/~rkdl/old-crybaby-rabbit-L.giffans!

Grizo406
January 11th, 2007, 08:55 PM
http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/old-crybaby-rabbit-R.gif Mere pikers when compared to the expertise exhibited byhttp://people.montana.com/~rkdl/old-crybaby-rabbit-L.giffans!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: ;)

RabidRabbit
January 11th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I know you are upset about this and yes most of us agree with you. But taking shots at Big Sky play is bordering on smack, or it would be if the moderators didn't agree with the point you are trying to make. And you can't discount that Montana is a member of the Big Sky and has a long playoff streak and a couple of National Championships. We are upset too, you already pointed that out. So leave all of our Big Sky Conference players who work hard every day and give their all out of your whining. We all agree.

In large part, your (GRIZ) success is due to playing at Wash/Griz stadium. For the last 15 years you're like 120-19 at Wash/Griz? Phenomenol success rate. Take you out of the friendly confines of W/G and play on the road, and Griz drop into 60% W/L, and vs play-off teams away from W/G the wins drop dramatically? You enjoy a fantastic home field advantage, and every year playing a majority of games at home redoubles that advantage. IMHO, I'd venture a guess that on year's with 5 home and 6 away games, especially against top 25 teams, that you'd have an extra loss. Poly missed the play-offs this year due to two 1 point losses. If they would have had the Griz at SLO in '06, could they have been on the top end? We'll never know. IMHO, much more likely a Poly victory in SLO than in Missoula.

We like and respect the Griz talents on the FB field. And we want to celebrate with our home crowds bringing in this giant of a program. Kind of like the Bison, Griz are a Bear at home, but on the road, much more even game. Come on down to play! :smiley_wi

Griz Grunt
January 11th, 2007, 09:22 PM
In large part, your (GRIZ) success is due to playing at Wash/Griz stadium. For the last 15 years you're like 120-19 at Wash/Griz? Phenomenol success rate. Take you out of the friendly confines of W/G and play on the road, and Griz drop into 60% W/L, and vs play-off teams away from W/G the wins drop dramatically? You enjoy a fantastic home field advantage, and every year playing a majority of games at home redoubles that advantage. IMHO, I'd venture a guess that on year's with 5 home and 6 away games, especially against top 25 teams, that you'd have an extra loss. Poly missed the play-offs this year due to two 1 point losses. If they would have had the Griz at SLO in '06, could they have been on the top end? We'll never know. IMHO, much more likely a Poly victory in SLO than in Missoula.

We like and respect the Griz talents on the FB field. And we want to celebrate with our home crowds bringing in this giant of a program. Kind of like the Bison, Griz are a Bear at home, but on the road, much more even game. Come on down to play! :smiley_wi
As you stated, JYHO:bang: . Be patient grasshopper, the game at your house will be played! http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif:nod:http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

AmsterBison
January 11th, 2007, 10:34 PM
If NDSU's or SDSU's AD schedules a home-and-home series with Montana with the first game being at Wash-Griz, the Bunny-Bison alumni will not be forgiving.

For NDSU, I think it would have to be a guarantee game at Wash-Griz and then a non-guarantee game in Fargo (with a six-figure buyout). Anything less and our AD would be putting his job on the line.

GRZZ
January 11th, 2007, 11:20 PM

Yes, you are absolutely right. But I don't think it is necesarily a bad thing for the University of Montana to want six homes games a year. Game day is great for the local economy and the six home games help our athletic department financially. The same is obviously true with many programs throughout the country. Also, most teams have better winning percentages at home than on the road, by I understand and agree with what you are saying. I will say, however that the two biggest victories in our program occured nowhere near Washington Grizzly Stadium. One was in Huntington, West Virginia and the other was in Chattanooga, Tennesee. The game in Huntington was a home game for Marshall in everyway but name. Montana has built a strong program with an amazing homefield experience. I have already stated that I want the Griz to finish these home and homes, but we have no control over it. But not for a second do I feel that the Griz should feel bad about playing so many home games.

Cleets
January 11th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I was kind of thinking during this debate:

isn't the national championship game in Tenn. kind of a home game for App. State? How come nobody wonders out loud on the forum about that?

Or perhaps I've missed that one
(No worries)

Continue discussions... PTI

AZGrizFan
January 12th, 2007, 12:23 AM

Hmm. Funny. Why didn't we have that success at Dornblazer?

Think it might have something to do with the COACHES and PLAYERS we have? Go back and look at the last 14 seasons for the Griz, rabbit. There is one, maybe TWO seasons where one more losses MIGHT have kept them out of the playoffs.

BTW, what's SDSU's record on the road against playoff teams? Just wondering.....

NDSUFREAK
January 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Wellll, buy out the contracts all you want but the state of North Dakota has the upper hand on the state of Montana.....Remember that?

JohnStOnge
January 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

griz8791
January 12th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Personally, I'm going to be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that 89-"payback is a bitch"-Rabbit and Rabid-"revenge is a dish best served cold"-Rabbit never get offered the AD job in Brookings.:)

89rabbit
January 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Personally, I'm going to be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that 89-"payback is a bitch"-Rabbit and Rabid-"revenge is a dish best served cold"-Rabbit never get offered the AD job in Brookings.:)

I know our AD very well, I don't think it will matter if either I or Rabid ever replace him. ;)

It is not a big deal. A 2 for 1 with the first two in Brookings and all will be forgiven. :nod:

89rabbit
January 13th, 2007, 12:24 PM
From the Fargo Forum's Sports Reporter Jeff Kolpack:

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

Don't feed the bears

Interesting article from The Missoulian's Fritz Neighbor on the adventures of the University of Montana football schedule. Put it this way: if you schedule the Grizzlies for a home-and-home, make sure they come to your place first.

Because, they probably won't return the game.

The Griz just hosed South Dakota State on a home-and-home deal. They hosed California Poly this year. The Missoulian article says the Griz stiffed Hofstra.

Now, I realize the Griz did this legally by buying out the contracts. But that just doesn't seem to be bargaining in good faith. SDSU was counting on more than a big crowd for the Grizzly game. It was to be a marquee game; another reason why going Division I was a good idea. . . . (read more)

AZGrizFan
January 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
IMHO, 5 games at home and honor the return trip to SDSU is the correct solution. But we have a 21 page discussion about that.

It's time for Montana to get caught on their consistent refusal to honor a home and home. :thumbsup:

How many times, exactly, has Montana bought out a home/home arrangement?

89rabbit
January 13th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Well in the last 2 or 3 seasons we know for sure Hofstra, Cal-Poly twice, SDSU (2 for 1 deal), and a D-II school from last year (can't remember the name and don't really care if Montana buys out D-II schools).

Cal Poly Mustang
January 13th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Since 2004 I belive it's the following. Cal Poly twice, Hofstra once, and SDSU once.

The SDSU buyout wasn't a home and home deal, but rather a 2 for 1, so in my mind that's even more ridiculous.

If once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a pattern what's four times? Consistent?

-- Go Mustangs

AZGrizFan
January 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Since 2004 I belive it's the following. Cal Poly twice, Hofstra once, and SDSU once.

The SDSU buyout wasn't a home and home deal, but rather a 2 for 1, so in my mind that's even more ridiculous.

If once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a pattern what's four times? Consistent?

-- Go Mustangs

Consistent---they do the same thing every time. This would imply they've bought out every home/home since 2004. (They may have, I honestly don't know).

Frequent----they do it often...

Either way, in this fan's opinion, I don't like it anymore than the teams getting screwed do. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

blukeys
January 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Yes, you are absolutely right. But I don't think it is necesarily a bad thing for the University of Montana to want six homes games a year. Game day is great for the local economy and the six home games help our athletic department financially. The same is obviously true with many programs throughout the country. Also, most teams have better winning percentages at home than on the road, by I understand and agree with what you are saying. I will say, however that the two biggest victories in our program occured nowhere near Washington Grizzly Stadium. One was in Huntington, West Virginia and the other was in Chattanooga, Tennesee. The game in Huntington was a home game for Marshall in everyway but name. Montana has built a strong program with an amazing homefield experience. I have already stated that I want the Griz to finish these home and homes, but we have no control over it. But not for a second do I feel that the Griz should feel bad about playing so many home games.

No one in this thread has suggested that UM should not try to get 6 home games a year. Delaware typically gets 7 home games for all of the reasons you have listed. However, Delaware informs the opponent that it is a one year contract and that it is in Newark. The opponent takes the game or leaves it. The negotiations are in good faith with each party intending to fulfill their end of the bargain.

On the other hand most of the non Montana posters appear to make a very strong case that Montana negotiates a deal for a home and home with no intention of going on the road. The fact that they have done this to NDSU, SDSU, Cal Poly, and Hofstra suggests that Montana is negotiating in bad faith. They are getting more favorable terms from these teams. These teams are hoping for a big name opponent and hopefully getting a better attended home game thanx to this opponent. In such an arrangement they would be willing to offer UM better terms then a home only take it or leave it arrangement.

I like most others have great respect for the Griz and their program. But this behavior is reprehensible and totally disrespectful of the 4 programs that have been screwed to date. As for the financial argument, most FCS schools have financial issues. However, They don't negotiate home and home deals with little or no intention of fulfilling the back end of the arrangement.

From this date on, No AD should be hoodwinked by Montana. Anyone who schedules the first game of a home and home at Missoula deserves to get whatever.

I would still love to see a regular season home and home with the Griz BUT I want to see the first game in NEWARK. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

GRZZ
January 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Our AD said recently that most teams have started requireing $125,000 gaurentee. What do others teams generally pay as gaurnetees for the teams visiting them?

AZGrizFan
January 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
No one in this thread has suggested that UM should not try to get 6 home games a year. Delaware typically gets 7 home games for all of the reasons you have listed. However, Delaware informs the opponent that it is a one year contract and that it is in Newark. The opponent takes the game or leaves it. The negotiations are in good faith with each party intending to fulfill their end of the bargain.

On the other hand most of the non Montana posters appear to make a very strong case that Montana negotiates a deal for a home and home with no intention of going on the road. The fact that they have done this to NDSU, SDSU, Cal Poly, and Hofstra suggests that Montana is negotiating in bad faith. They are getting more favorable terms from these teams. These teams are hoping for a big name opponent and hopefully getting a better attended home game thanx to this opponent. In such an arrangement they would be willing to offer UM better terms then a home only take it or leave it arrangement.

I like most others have great respect for the Griz and their program. But this behavior is reprehensible and totally disrespectful of the 4 programs that have been screwed to date. As for the financial argument, most FCS schools have financial issues. However, They don't negotiate home and home deals with little or no intention of fulfilling the back end of the arrangement.

From this date on, No AD should be hoodwinked by Montana. Anyone who schedules the first game of a home and home at Missoula deserves to get whatever.

I would still love to see a regular season home and home with the Griz BUT I want to see the first game in NEWARK. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Where's their case, blukeys? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

They may not LIKE the fact that it's happened 4 times in recent years, but unless they've got the AD's office bugged, they have no reasonable proof that Montana is negotiating in bad faith.

BisonBacker
January 14th, 2007, 11:06 PM
AZGrizFan, I was catching up on this thread and read your comments that you stated you didn't like it anymore then the fans of the teams this was happening to and I thought to myself that here is a Griz fan who I can talk with and at least see's this for what its worth and then you come back and post a later that you don't see this as not being in good faith. Are you serious? Again another BSC fan who needs some oxygen to facilitate clear thinking as the lack of oxygen at such a high altitude has decreased the thought process to a mere fraction of what is normal.

AZGrizFan
January 15th, 2007, 12:12 AM
AZGrizFan, I was catching up on this thread and read your comments that you stated you didn't like it anymore then the fans of the teams this was happening to and I thought to myself that here is a Griz fan who I can talk with and at least see's this for what its worth and then you come back and post a later that you don't see this as not being in good faith. Are you serious? Again another BSC fan who needs some oxygen to facilitate clear thinking as the lack of oxygen at such a high altitude has decreased the thought process to a mere fraction of what is normal.

Bison, the fact that I don't like it doesn't mean there's some big conspiracy (unless of course, you're a democrat----then there's ALWAYS a conspiracy ;) ). Other than a lot of assumptions, no one has a single shred of evidence that these contracts were negotiated in bad faith, and I don't think the AD's are that stupid to negotiate contracts they have no intention of honoring. Unfortunately, you can't predict things like finances, other opportunities, etc., that may come along after the contract is signed. That's why they INCLUDE buyout clauses. I despise the fact that the Griz have taken that road recently, but I certainly don't believe they're doing it maliciously. Besides, the other AD's that are negotiating these contracts need to hold out for bigger buyouts, or insist on scheduling their game at home first....hell, maybe a taste of their own medicine will get the Griz back on the straight and narrow.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll make the same offer I made on egriz----$5 bucks says the griz go to brookings in the next three years. :twocents: :twocents:

aggie6thman
January 15th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Montana shows their true colors by scheduling a D-II team and not playing SDSU. I really hope they have some serious trouble filling their schedule.

aggie6thman
January 15th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I'll make the same offer I made on egriz----$5 bucks says the griz go to brookings in the next three years.

Yeah, they will have to because nobody else will be willing to sign a home and home without the first game being played away from Montana. Teams learn quickly how things work in Missoula.

AZGrizFan
January 15th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Yeah, they will have to because nobody else will be willing to sign a home and home without the first game being played away from Montana. Teams learn quickly how things work in Missoula.

I've said that all along. Stay with us, aggie. :read: :read: :read:

AZGrizFan
January 15th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Montana shows their true colors by scheduling a D-II team and not playing SDSU. I really hope they have some serious trouble filling their schedule.

So, they could go to SDSU, lose $150,000, or play a D-II at home and make $300,000. Hmmmmm....tough call......SUCKS for SDSU fans. Hell, sucks for us Griz fans that want to see competitive games, but from a financial and business perspective, it makes perfect sense. Now, they may be burning a few bridges along the way, but that's just us fans' opinions....

And, since they only have 3 OOC games a year, I highly doubt they'll have trouble EVER filling their schedule.

Edit: And I'm STILL waiting for all that evidence that these contracts were negotiated in bad faith. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

aggie6thman
January 15th, 2007, 12:56 AM
And, since they only have 3 OOC games a year, I highly doubt they'll have trouble EVER filling their schedule.

Edit: And I'm STILL waiting for all that evidence that these contracts were negotiated in bad faith. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

I don't think they were negotiated in "bad faith." I do however believe that what Montana is doing will come back to bite them in the ass, as evident by their not being able to find that final game to fill the schedule.

Uncle Buck
January 15th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Consistent---they do the same thing every time. This would imply they've bought out every home/home since 2004. (They may have, I honestly don't know).

Frequent----they do it often...

Either way, in this fan's opinion, I don't like it anymore than the teams getting screwed do. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

The only thing that threw me was that Montana did honor a home and home with Hofstra at one time if I remember, then dropped us the next time after we came to Missoula again. Then again, given Montana's high profile status in FCS, teams are willing to take the chance for a big win.

Proud Griz Man
January 15th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Actually, UM has traveled to Cal Poly SLO (twice), and Maine, and Hofstra, and Sam Houston State, and McNeese State, and to Northern Iowa. I probably forgot one or two others. :nod:
UM's President is not allowing much state funding into the Athletic Department, and appears to be directing this money towards new building construction on campus. The Athletic Director at UM appears to be under directives to balance the budget (i.e. no deficits, and repay past deficits) and he has to utilize the big money makers (primary two = Washington Grizzly stadium, and 1-A football game paydays of $500,000+).:cool:

BisonBacker
January 15th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Proud Griz Man I understand what your saying and I applaud your president for his stance. You also have to understand that every school has it's financial issues to deal with and when these contracts are put together the other schools are relying on the BSC schools to honor their end of the contract. Supporters of this policy can say all they want to about buyout clauses and how it's being honored but if put to a vote by the fans I think you would see that the majority don't approve. I will even start a poll on this topic and see where people stand on it but I for one think its stinks. The schools on the short end wind up not getting a home game against a good opponent and a sellout for them. I agree with Aggie about this coming back to bite the BSC school's. I'm sure they will get teams to come to play at their house but they won't be Marquee type teams with a big draw. If the fans of the BSC powers want to see the DII's come in and get pummeled and they get excited about that then they are not the fans I thought they were. Oh boy we get to see little known schools with no football reputation to come in and get pummeled for a paycheck, how exciting is that?

ndsu71und74
January 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM
The only way to make buyouts go away is to make the cost very prohibitive. If both teams agreed to pay the other team, say $500,000.00, if they backed out of a deal, everyone would be a lot more careful in signing contracts. Otherwise, its a lot like high school girls looking for a prom date, accepting an offer from anyone, and then canceling that one when a BBD (Bigger, better deal) comes along.

Walkon79
January 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Wellll, buy out the contracts all you want but the state of North Dakota has the upper hand on the state of Montana.....Remember that?

Forget about the game in Bozeman in 2005? Upper hand, Montana STATE.

GRZZ
January 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUFREAK10

Nicely Done. :hurray: :hurray:

The Sheriff
January 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Uh oh!!! Was that supposed to happen?

BisonBacker
January 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM
We will see if your ad has the gonads to make the deal happen and you guys come to Fargo otherwise I'd be keeping a low profile over there in BSC Land. Seems to me that you backed in to the playoffs last year and had it not been for the transition NDSU was in you would have been sitting at home where you belonged last year.