PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota Playoffs?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2016, 09:10 AM
If they make it to 6-5, are they a playoff team? 6 D-I wins, and they'd have a win against a ranked team in their last three games.

If Missouri State makes it to 6-5, they would only have 5 D-I wins so they wouldn't be eligible. They need to run the table.

Twentysix
October 31st, 2016, 09:15 AM
They would probably have the MVFC autobid if they win out. So yes.

They would have head to head victories over NDSU and SDSU, and YSU will probably lose to NDSU.

Nevermind that is 7-4.

At 6-5 maybe. Especially if the win is over NDSU not SDSU. NDSU would stay ranked pretty high even after sustaining a loss to USD. SDSU would plummet to near 20 imo with a USD loss. SDSU would be a quality loss and NDSU would remain a better win.

Professor Chaos
October 31st, 2016, 09:35 AM
Agree with twentysix for the most part. I think USD is an incredibly long shot at 6-5... maybe with a win over NDSU but still very iffy and they'd need tons of help. Realistically, I think the Yotes lost any playoff shot with their 4th quarter meltdowns against UND and WIU. If they win either of those games they're in a lot better spot right now.

Twentysix
October 31st, 2016, 09:38 AM
I think USD is an incredibly long shot at 6-5. They'd have to rely on a theoretical win against NDSU as their signature win. Even if they beat SDSU it's not going to look that great since that'll knock SDSU down to 7-4 at best. Realistically, I think the Yotes lost any playoff shot with their 4th quarter meltdowns against UND and WIU. If they win either of those games they're in a lot better spot right now.

True, but if all the games off the USD schedule go as they should, and USD wins out they should win the autobid.

Basically that means USD wins out, and NDSU beats YSU. In that scenario 4 teams are 6-2 and USD holds the tiebreakers over NDSU and SDSU; and YSU would go to the best win head to head in MVFC standings which would be vs NDSU/SDSU in which YSU would have lost both games and USD would have won. Pretty sure that would give USD the auto in a 4 way tie. Hypothetical records: USD 2-1 vs 4 way tie. YSU 1-2 vs 4 way tie. SDSU 1-2 vs 4 way tie. NDSU 1-2 vs 4 way tie.

From what I've seen from all of these teams, USD winning out isn't impossible.

http://www.valley-football.org/news/default/2011-12/6071/missouri-valley-football---tiebreaker/

2. If the tied teams all played one another, the team with the best cumulative record involving games with the tied teams shall be declared champion. For example, if a team is 2-0 against two other tied teams, that team will be declared champion.

Professor Chaos
October 31st, 2016, 09:41 AM
True, but if all the games off the USD schedule go as they should, and USD wins out they should win the autobid.

Basically that means USD wins out, and NDSU beats YSU. In that scenario 4 teams are 6-2 and USD holds the tiebreakers over NDSU and SDSU and YSU would go to the best win head to head in MVFC standings which would be vs NDSU/SDSU in which YSU would have lost both games and USD would have won. Pretty sure that would give USD the auto in a 4 way tie.
WIU could crash that 6-2 party also making it a giant mess with 5 teams at 6-2. WIU and YSU don't play each other this year either so the tie breaker would get really complicated.

Regardless if they get the autobid or not though USD is in at 7-4.

Twentysix
October 31st, 2016, 09:48 AM
WIU could crash that 6-2 party also making it a giant mess with 5 teams at 6-2. WIU and YSU don't play each other this year either so the tie breaker would get really complicated.

Regardless if they get the autobid or not though USD is in at 7-4.

Oh my god **** that. Hopefully NDSU wins out and it doesn't matter.

Edit: In that scenario NDSU probably gets it because even with another loss NDSU will probably lead the GPI which seems to be where the tiebreaker rules end up when teams don't play each other and its a huge mess.

Twentysix
October 31st, 2016, 09:53 AM
And yes, at 7-4 USD will have a good resume.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2016, 10:32 AM
At 7-4 with wins over SDSU and NDSU they'd be a lock. I guess however they get to 6-5 they'd be a bubble team, but they'd be a much better bubble team with a win over NDSU than SDSU.

Yote84
October 31st, 2016, 02:31 PM
I would agree with the poster who stated USD's shot at playoffs went away this weekend with the loss to WIU. USD should win this weekend in Carbondale. But they will lose to both SDSU and NDSU. Not that they couldn't upset both of those teams.

I'm glad they have surprised as many people as they have this year but in all reality the "meltdowns" are more because this team is playing far above their talent level right now from really good coaching and player development. Our OL/DL are small with no depth.

Nielson and company are getting lots of quality recruits in early at a rate we have not seen at the D1 level yet. If they coached up the group of players they inherited I think USD fans are happy with the results regardless of what happens the last 2 weeks. We can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel finally.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 31st, 2016, 05:28 PM
7-4: easily in

6-5: slim chance

geaux_sioux
October 31st, 2016, 07:21 PM
So does UND get an credit for beating USD if they end up as a playoff team? Or does it not matter since they weren't ranked in week 3?

centennial
October 31st, 2016, 07:46 PM
So does UND get an credit for beating USD if they end up as a playoff team? Or does it not matter since they weren't ranked in week 3?

USD is not ending up as a playoff team. UND gets no credit.

taper
October 31st, 2016, 07:59 PM
That might be interesting. If USD does what it takes to get in, Cal Poly beats EWU then loses to Weber, and UND loses 2(maybe even 1) then UND could be left out having beaten 3 teams that got in.

NDSUtk
October 31st, 2016, 08:29 PM
That might be interesting. If USD does what it takes to get in, Cal Poly beats EWU then loses to Weber, and UND loses 2(maybe even 1) then UND could be left out having beaten 3 teams that got in.
Oh man would the weight room be busy...

F'N Hawks
October 31st, 2016, 08:32 PM

Hope in one hand and **** in the other......

SDFS
October 31st, 2016, 08:48 PM
I think that you are starting to see the impact of FCoA by the all the Dakota schools. It will be interesting to see if other schools move toward FCoA. I think that I have read that UNI is moving toward FCoA that but I have not seen others discussing it. The more successful ALL Dakota schools are it will puts pressure on more schools to keep up.

NOTE: I am not sure of SDSU has full FCoA for football. I think they said something to effect that it would be selective.

Thumper 76
October 31st, 2016, 08:54 PM
I think that you are starting to see the impact of FCoA by the all the Dakota schools. It will be interesting to see if other schools move toward FCoA. I think that I have read that UNI is moving toward FCoA that but I have not seen others discussing it. The more successful ALL Dakota schools are it will puts pressure on more schools to keep up.

NOTE: I am not sure of SDSU has full FCoA for football. I think they said something to effect that it would be selective.
On a case by case basis at the moment. We don't just open our mouths, not be able to afford it, and then expect the students to let us raise fees on them to pay for it like USeD did. I believe its called planning and responsibility, but I could be wrong.

SDSUAlum08
October 31st, 2016, 09:59 PM
On a case by case basis at the moment. We don't just open our mouths, not be able to afford it, and then expect the students to let us raise fees on them to pay for it like USeD did. I believe its called planning and responsibility, but I could be wrong.

No. You're 100% correct.

Bisonoline
October 31st, 2016, 11:29 PM

If youre going to offer FCOA to all athletes does that mean youre also going to fully fund all of your sports?

F'N Hawks
November 1st, 2016, 06:48 AM
If youre going to offer FCOA to all athletes does that mean youre also going to fully fund all of your sports?

No. They are talking about trying to full fund the lower sports but FCOA isn't tied to that at all. Because many sports can break up their scholarships, SAs get that same percentage in FCOA.

So if they give more Schollies, they will need more FCOA money also and so on

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2016, 08:05 AM
If USD does somehow beat NDSU again this year. When would be the last time the Bizon were swept by the South Dakota schools?

Evolution Prime
November 1st, 2016, 08:42 AM
I believe it is 2002.

Yote 53
November 1st, 2016, 10:30 AM

The butthurt that comes out of SDSU fans. Do you believe that we have to live in the same state with these people? Hey, how about you mind your own business and we will mind ours, okay? Have you seen any USD fans say anything about how SDSU handles it's funding or facilities projects or anything else? No, we don't. We've got a plan down here of what we're going to do. Fundraising by the foundation has been outstanding. The USD community has really stepped up when it has come to capital campaigns and support for the institution. If you haven't noticed our president has done a pretty good job at transforming this campus and making it a much better place. I trust his judgment on what is best for this school over some cowbell ringing Jack fan.

FWIW, the students passed that activity fee on their own, so, whatever.

Thumper 76
November 1st, 2016, 12:04 PM
The butthurt that comes out of SDSU fans. Do you believe that we have to live in the same state with these people? Hey, how about you mind your own business and we will mind ours, okay? Have you seen any USD fans say anything about how SDSU handles it's funding or facilities projects or anything else? No, we don't. We've got a plan down here of what we're going to do. Fundraising by the foundation has been outstanding. The USD community has really stepped up when it has come to capital campaigns and support for the institution. If you haven't noticed our president has done a pretty good job at transforming this campus and making it a much better place. I trust his judgment on what is best for this school over some cowbell ringing Jack fan.

FWIW, the students passed that activity fee on their own, so, whatever.
How fun is it that when SDSU moved up to FCS they weren't allowed to use any new student fees but USeD can use student fees to pay their athletes. Thats fun.

Twentysix
November 1st, 2016, 01:41 PM
How fun is it that when SDSU moved up to FCS they weren't allowed to use any new student fees but USeD can use student fees to pay their athletes. Thats fun.

There are always more rules for the big brother.

Yote84
November 1st, 2016, 02:01 PM

It comes down to one thing Thumper 76. You and a select few other wabbit fans are jealous that USD, NDSU, and UND is offering FCOA in all sports and the wabbits cannot yet. So you throw stupid statements out about USD raising student fees etc.

The students increased the fees for athletic support on their own with a vote by the students. Get over it. If you didn't have 70 sports like equestrian, wrestling, men's tennis, and baseball in freezing cold SD you wouldn't be spread so thin. HOLY NUTMEG.

BigSouthFan
November 1st, 2016, 02:03 PM
My guess is that at 7-4 they are a lock. At 6-5 with a win over NDSU it's around 50% as long as SDSU wins out and is ranked high at 8-3. With a SDSU win and NDSU loss, around 10%.

Thumper 76
November 1st, 2016, 03:17 PM
It comes down to one thing Thumper 76. You and a select few other wabbit fans are jealous that USD, NDSU, and UND is offering FCOA in all sports and the wabbits cannot yet. So you throw stupid statements out about USD raising student fees etc.

The students increased the fees for athletic support on their own with a vote by the students. Get over it. If you didn't have 70 sports like equestrian, wrestling, men's tennis, and baseball in freezing cold SD you wouldn't be spread so thin. HOLY NUTMEG.
xlolx stupid comment? Thats great that the students decided to vote for that and all, did the university pitch it to them as what the total cost addition would be during the duration of their schooling or as a per credit tiny number? Got to love when a university uses classic car sales techniques to get their students funding to bail them out. Obviously all schools use student fees to fund things, so it is what it is, but its got to be nice to have all these concessions made for your school by the BOR to try to help you catch up after SDSU paved the way under all sorts of restrictions. As to your statement of being jealous of USD and UND, you're funny. Would I rather we just blurted it out like those two only to be in their positions now? Nope. UND jumps in on it and now have a budget crisis while USD goes to the student fees money fountain. USD has almost $10 more than other SD schools in their athletic fees with less sports offered than SDSU. I don't really even mind if they did it for a new stadium, or the new basketball arena they built to be honest. At least the students would get to use those things in some respect. I'm just not terribly impressed that they are doing it to cover paying athletes. Are you really comfortable with that? Have any of the other Dakota schools went to their students to cover for FCOA? I'm fairly certain there would be a massive ****storm about it in ND right now. But USD gets to do what they want and gets the benefit of the doubt from the BOR time and time again. I do agree that SDSU offers too many sports for a school our size with our budget, you aren't wrong there.

Yote84
November 1st, 2016, 03:38 PM
Yes, the BOR is favoring USD over SDSU on a systematic basis. Are you listening to yourself. Classic car sales techniques? Quit exaggerating things by making it sound like USD pulled a fast one over on the students to get a yes vote. Also, quit exaggerating what that increase in student fees was all used for. funding athletics was only a part of it.

Your argument about this is as stupid as people in the state who complained about the hundreds of thousands of tax payers dollars SDSU used when hiring their president recently. Don't be such a homer and have blinders on all the time. When you constantly run down everything about other schools it makes you sound like cock and not creditable.

mango433
November 1st, 2016, 04:20 PM
Yes, the BOR is favoring USD over SDSU on a systematic basis. Are you listening to yourself. Classic car sales techniques? Quit exaggerating things by making it sound like USD pulled a fast one over on the students to get a yes vote. Also, quit exaggerating what that increase in student fees was all used for. funding athletics was only a part of it.

Your argument about this is as stupid as people in the state who complained about the hundreds of thousands of tax payers dollars SDSU used when hiring their president recently. Don't be such a homer and have blinders on all the time. When you constantly run down everything about other schools it makes you sound like cock and not creditable.

Well, when SDSU moved up to Division I, the BOR specifically told them that student activity fees could not be raised to help fund the move. But apparently that wasn't the case for USD as the activity fees continue to rise at USD.

I know if I was a student at USD and my activity fees just went up to pay student-athletes FCOA I would be pissed.

AGSYOTE
November 1st, 2016, 04:44 PM
Never apologize for winning at money and politics. Play on.

goyotes
November 1st, 2016, 05:09 PM
Never apologize for winning at money and politics. Play on.

For the win.

Coyote Fan
November 1st, 2016, 08:38 PM
I would agree with the poster who stated USD's shot at playoffs went away this weekend with the loss to WIU. USD should win this weekend in Carbondale. But they will lose to both SDSU and NDSU. Not that they couldn't upset both of those teams.

I'm glad they have surprised as many people as they have this year but in all reality the "meltdowns" are more because this team is playing far above their talent level right now from really good coaching and player development. Our OL/DL are small with no depth.

Nielson and company are getting lots of quality recruits in early at a rate we have not seen at the D1 level yet. If they coached up the group of players they inherited I think USD fans are happy with the results regardless of what happens the last 2 weeks. We can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel finally.

The meltdowns are not because of talent level. If the team is good enough to totally dominate in the first half only to fall apart in the second half that is more about coaching and mentality then it is about talent level. Nielson has done a great job at certain things but as good as he is getting the Coyotes to play so well he is equally as bad when the team is blowing these big leads. Nielson has a big hand in the success in the first place but he is the biggest reason these meltdowns are happening. Combining the talent of their quarterback and their receivers they don't have a talent problem there. The O-line is over matched at times as is the D-line but there is alot of good talent at the skilled positions on this team. The Coyotes are an offense made to be in attack mode. If they play that way they succeed but as soon as they go into preservation mode they become very ineffective. They don't have a true power running game that succeeds in the Valley because they are more of a finesse offense by nature. Ironically Streveler is probably the toughest guy on the entire offense.

Coyote Fan
November 1st, 2016, 08:43 PM
There are always more rules for the big brother.

In other words for the younger and fatter brother

AmsterBison
November 2nd, 2016, 07:42 AM
I believe it is 2002.

They just goes to show how crappy that 2002 season was... and 2002 included a loss to Augustana (SD) just to make it that much worse.

2002 was the only season in the last 50* that NDSU got swept by the South Dakota public schools. Even with the 2-8 season, it took 4 OTs to lose to USD.

*1962 was the last time before 2002 that NDSU lost to both South Dakota universities in the same year.

Thumper 76
November 2nd, 2016, 12:39 PM
Oh my look at all the Yote fans coming out of the shadows! Good to see, should make it a lot more fun around here next week :D

jacksfan29
November 2nd, 2016, 01:35 PM
Well, when SDSU moved up to Division I, the BOR specifically told them that student activity fees could not be raised to help fund the move. But apparently that wasn't the case for USD as the activity fees continue to rise at USD.

I know if I was a student at USD and my activity fees just went up to pay student-athletes FCOA I would be pissed.

If I recall that was due to the BOR and the USD administration not wanting SDSU to move up. The goal of the USD dominated BOR was to make it more difficult for SDSU. Much like UND and NDSU, USD were not very happy that SDSU were moving up.

Thumper 76
November 2nd, 2016, 01:52 PM
If I recall that was due to the BOR and the USD administration not wanting SDSU to move up. The goal of the USD dominated BOR was to make it more difficult for SDSU. Much like UND and NDSU, USD were not very happy that SDSU were moving up.
That makes it OK now just ask a USeD fan.

mango433
November 2nd, 2016, 02:04 PM
That makes it OK now just ask a USeD fan.

Well, yeah NDSU and SDSU did pave the way for USD to move up so it was easier already and then the BOR made it even easier for them by allowing them to do whatever they wanted.