PDA

View Full Version : SHOULD IDAHO BE THE ONLY FBS SCHOOL TO DROP TO FCS

MontanaVandal
October 30th, 2016, 09:46 PM
The question surrounding the Vandals fan base, mainly is why? But the other question is our traveling buddies down in Las Cruses following Idaho to FCS. Before this season I would have said maybe Eastern Michigan should drop to FCS. Yet, is there any other schools that are ripe for at least looking into the possibility of dropping to FCS?

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 30th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Come home, Georgia State Panthers.

Bucs2016
October 30th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Georgia State.
Florida Atlantic and Florida International.
Cleveland Browns.

MontanaVandal
October 30th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Does anybody think that the Big Sky could possibly throw New Mexico State a bone if the Aggies brought something to the conference?

Schism55
October 30th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Georgia State.
Florida Atlantic and Florida International.
Cleveland Browns.
So much this xdrunkyx

HailSzczur
October 30th, 2016, 10:04 PM
UConn.....so they can join the Big East

....I wish

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Does anybody think that the Big Sky could possibly throw New Mexico State a bone if the Aggies brought something to the conference?

Would unbalance the conference to 15 football members with Idaho rejoining. Would require UND to leave to go to the Valley/Summit, which would require either YSU or Missery State to leave, and I feel like in order for YSU to leave for the CAA, Rhode Island would have to leave for the NEC and/or Missery State leaving for that Sunbelt invite.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Honestly? Any program that hasn't even averaged 15,000 fans per game over the last three seasons combined. Your program is too insignificant to bother with FBS while some high end FCS are frankly more deserving of being up there.

With that being said, part of fan interest is winning. Just look at ODU's declining interest now that they're being forced to see a series of .500 seasons.

SUUTbird
October 30th, 2016, 10:35 PM
San Jose State is another one that comes to mind

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 30th, 2016, 10:44 PM
UMass without question should be the other team. Terrible stadium situation, no conference, apathetic fan base and bad teams are the perfect storm....

The Minutemen's return to FCS would be a HUGE boost to Northeast and, more specifically, New England FCS football..

TheRevSFA
October 30th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Would unbalance the conference to 15 football members with Idaho rejoining. Would require UND to leave to go to the Valley/Summit, which would require either YSU or Missery State to leave, and I feel like in order for YSU to leave for the CAA, Rhode Island would have to leave for the NEC and/or Missery State leaving for that Sunbelt invite.

Put missouri state in OVC? Hell they aren't that far out of the SLC footprint

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2016, 10:57 PM

I would agree with those options, Missery State believes they are FBS material and will settle for nothing less. Their facilities are extremely nice for tennis and basketball, but I do not watch either of those sports nor follow them so nice is to the eye of the beholder.

ElCid
October 30th, 2016, 11:45 PM
UMass without question should be the other team. Terrible stadium situation, no conference, apathetic fan base and bad teams are the perfect storm....

The Minutemen's return to FCS would be a HUGE boost to Northeast and, more specifically, New England FCS football..

Yup. Should have never left.

ElCid
October 30th, 2016, 11:51 PM
Georgia Southern? Oh wait, they just moved up. They haven't been disillusioned yet. They might have a losing season this year...in the Sun Belt. Ouch. If they don't improve their conference at some point, they may eventually become irrelevant.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2016, 11:53 PM
UMass scored only 8,000 fans this weekend vs. Wagner, putting them below an average of 15,000 again for the season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 30th, 2016, 11:57 PM
Georgia Southern? Oh wait, they just moved up. They haven't been disillusioned yet. They might have a losing season this year...in the Sun Belt. Ouch. If they don't improve their conference at some point, they may eventually become irrelevant.

Georgia Southern is screwed imo. They simply don't have the recourses/money to be truly relevant in FBS. Those fans are in for a rough existence after how successful they were in FCS/1AA. What can their ultimate goal be? Reach "ORV" status in the polls and beat a 7-5 MAC team in a pre-Christmas bowl game? If they're lucky? I just don't get it....

The Pioneer Football League offers a better platform for success (due to automatic playoff bid) in FCS than the Sun Belt does in FBS.

MontanaVandal
October 31st, 2016, 12:15 AM
Sun Belt Conference. The D1 version of Limbo.
App State, Idaho, the Georgia schools, Coastal, etc...

JSUSoutherner
October 31st, 2016, 12:22 AM
Just what the conference needs, another team that sucks at football.

ElCid
October 31st, 2016, 12:25 AM
UMass scored only 8,000 fans this weekend vs. Wagner, putting them below an average of 15,000 again for the season.

That is pitiful. Even we had about 13K this past week playing ETSU.

ElCid
October 31st, 2016, 12:27 AM
Georgia Southern is screwed imo. They simply don't have the recourses/money to be truly relevant in FBS. Those fans are in for a rough existence after how successful they were in FCS/1AA. What can their ultimate goal be? Reach "ORV" status in the polls and beat a 7-5 MAC team in a pre-Christmas bowl game? If they're lucky? I just don't get it....

The Pioneer Football League offers a better platform for success (due to automatic playoff bid) in FCS than the Sun Belt does in FBS.

I don't ever see them experiencing the same level of success that they did unless they change their conference. Will not happen for decades, if football is still played then.

centennial
October 31st, 2016, 01:01 AM

They have as much if not more resources than anyone in the OVC. Frankly at worst an average FCS team this year. Give them 2 more years, they would help the OVC. They will never leave the MVFC unless they get FBS.

Twentysix
October 31st, 2016, 01:17 AM

You might be surprised at how well they could do in the OVC.

MontanaVandal
October 31st, 2016, 11:10 AM
There is no FBS conference that would take Missouri State. If there are any FCS programs that are being looked at its NDSU, JMU, EKU, Liberty and the upper group of the Big Sky.

centennial
October 31st, 2016, 11:16 AM
There is no FBS conference that would take Missouri State. If there are any FCS programs that are being looked at its NDSU, JMU, EKU, Liberty and the upper group of the Big Sky.
Missouri State is a solid contender. They have the facilities, money, and the fans(if they can win a little).

Thumper 76
October 31st, 2016, 11:22 AM
Honestly Missouri State sucks at football but as far as geography and backing goes, I have no doubt that they could get a look. Their facilities are extremely impressive overall. If NDSU was located where Missouri State is they would already be FBS, but they are too far flung and in too small of a media market to be a draw for any conference at the moment.

Anyways, I personally think Vandal fans shouldn't feel bad at all about going FCS. Its not FBS, but its really not a step down from the Sun Belt in competition when it comes to the good teams in the subdivision. Actually for the top 10 teams or so its a step up in competition.

As to your question there is a lot of schools that should likely be FCS but love writing huge checks to keep that ego boosting name tag of FBS and playing in front of empty stadiums. To each there own. Any school that regularly has an athletics department with millions upon millions in deficit every year shouldn't be at the level they are, but it is what it is.

MSUDuo
October 31st, 2016, 11:38 AM
I would agree with those options, Missery State believes they are FBS material and will settle for nothing less. Their facilities are extremely nice for tennis and basketball, but I do not watch either of those sports nor follow them so nice is to the eye of the beholder.

Gotta throw baseball in there too. Hammons Field is one best college baseball parks in the country. On campus fields for soccer, track, and field hockey (I know, I know) are extremely nice as well.

Don't necessarily believe we are FBS material but the thought process has been, if we are going to suck this bad, might at well be up there before the FCS games get shutout completely by the big boys.

kdinva
October 31st, 2016, 11:40 AM
As to your question there is a lot of schools that should likely be FCS but love writing huge checks to keep that ego boosting name tag of FBS and playing in front of empty stadiums.

yeah, I love those mid-week MAC games with maybe 3,742 in attendance.... xdrunkyx

Bisonator
October 31st, 2016, 12:00 PM
The question surrounding the Vandals fan base, mainly is why? But the other question is our traveling buddies down in Las Cruses following Idaho to FCS. Before this season I would have said maybe Eastern Michigan should drop to FCS. Yet, is there any other schools that are ripe for at least looking into the possibility of dropping to FCS?
The better question is why would they want to stay FBS? They suck. They have to whore themselves out and they have no fan support. What exactly is the big draw to be FBS? Getting killed by every other FBS team and being looked at like a door mat? Sounds fun.xlolx

catamount man
November 1st, 2016, 06:53 PM
I will throw a different bone out there. It will NEVER happen as long as ESPN and the P5 rule the roost but take every FBS team, every FCS team and pony out 75 scholarships max for each team. Doesn't matter stadium size, attendance, history, whatever.

I would love to see this and see conferences that make geographic sense. Yeah, will never happen but I'd like every I-A/I-AA team with same amount of schollies hook em up.

MontanaVandal
November 5th, 2016, 08:22 PM
With the possibility of UND leaving the Big Sky, can we please get NM State to drop?? Not only to the Big Sky for football but maybe bring in as a full member?

Travel Partners
Montana-Montana State
Eastern Washington-Idaho
Portland St-Sacramento ST
Idaho State-Weber State
Northern Arizona-Southern Utah
Northern Colorado-NEW MEXICO STATE

Still have Davis and Cal Poly as football only members

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Missouri State is a solid contender. They have the facilities, money, and the fans(if they can win a little).

interesting

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2016, 08:35 PM
UMass lost to a good Troy team 52-31 today. The Minutemen are 2-8 with trips to BYU and Hawaii on tap. Pull the plug already...

kdinva
December 4th, 2016, 11:44 AM
At least Idaho folks can smile at this.......in their last year labeled as a "1-A", they are going to a bowl game.......Notre Dame, Mich. State, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, Mississippi, are not.....

EWU Grad 82
December 4th, 2016, 12:36 PM
The Spokane Spokesman-Review has reported that UI athletic director Rob Spear was against rejoining the Big Sky for football and vigorously tried to postpone the decision to do so. Apparently he had the idea that he could resurrect football in the WAC by persuading some of the top Big Sky programs to defect to his new WAC, and pick up some marginal FBS teams from other conferences to form a legitimate new FBS conference. This sounds like nothing more than some wild pipe dream. I amazes me that he really thinks Idaho belongs in the FBS. As I see it they aren't even good enough to be a top Big Sky team let alone be a competitive FBS team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2016, 12:40 PM
The Spokane Spokesman-Review has reported that UI athletic director Rob Spear was against rejoining the Big Sky for football and vigorously tried to postpone the decision to do so. Apparently he had the idea that he could resurrect football in the WAC by persuading some of the top Big Sky programs to defect to his new WAC, and pick up some marginal FBS teams from other conferences to form a legitimate new FBS conference. This sound like nothing more than some wild pipe dream. I amazes me that he really thinks Idaho belongs in the FBS. As I see it they aren't even good enough to be a top Big Sky team let alone be a competitive FBS team.

So basically a West Coast Sun Belt? xchinscratchx

EWU Grad 82
December 4th, 2016, 12:45 PM

Sounds like it to me.

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2016, 12:57 PM
The Spokane Spokesman-Review has reported that UI athletic director Rob Spear was against rejoining the Big Sky for football and vigorously tried to postpone the decision to do so. Apparently he had the idea that he could resurrect football in the WAC by persuading some of the top Big Sky programs to defect to his new WAC, and pick up some marginal FBS teams from other conferences to form a legitimate new FBS conference. This sound like nothing more than some wild pipe dream. I amazes me that he really thinks Idaho belongs in the FBS. As I see it they aren't even good enough to be a top Big Sky team let alone be a competitive FBS team.
I'm going to go on a limb and guess that AD's in FBS make more money, so I would be fairly suspicious about his intentions being for the best interests of the university.

Sent from my RCT6303W87M7 using Tapatalk

CHIP72
December 4th, 2016, 01:47 PM

The Snow Belt Conference. I like the name!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyHobbs101
December 4th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Charlotte is a team that tried to run well before it could crawl, much less walk.

EWU Grad 82
December 4th, 2016, 02:19 PM
I'm going to go on a limb and guess that AD's in FBS make more money, so I would be fairly suspicious about his intentions being for the best interests of the university.

Sent from my RCT6303W87M7 using Tapatalk

Apparently the UI Board of Regents and President agree with you as they voted to return to the Big Sky.

Bisonoline
December 4th, 2016, 02:25 PM

He was taking his guidance from Siouxvolley at SS.com

Redbird007
December 4th, 2016, 02:36 PM
The Snow Belt Conference. I like the name!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..and lets change the MVFC to the Rust Belt Conference.

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2016, 03:10 PM
..and lets change the MVFC to the Rust Belt Conference.

Corn Belt conference would be more accurate I would think.

Redbird007
December 4th, 2016, 04:27 PM
that is better yet

GABison
December 4th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Grain Belt Conference

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Grain Belt Conference
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/ac7a1395ab96772382fe883cf8952253.jpg
I'm sure the NCAA would love it xlolx

Bisonator
December 4th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Casey's Belt Conference?

Redbird007
December 4th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Grain Belt Conference

THe NCAA will love it if it brings in revenue. Now give me a belt of whiskey

BadlandsGrizFan
December 5th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Corn Belt conference would be more accurate I would think.

XXL Belt makes the most sense..

lol fat jokes

clenz
December 5th, 2016, 04:51 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/ac7a1395ab96772382fe883cf8952253.jpg
I'm sure the NCAA would love it xlolx

Mmmmm....

I'd prefer the premium though.

Most places around me only carry those two. Don't get to try their other stuff.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2016, 05:03 PM
XXL Belt makes the most sense..

lol fat jokes

You beat me to it!! Extra notch belt conference.

woffordgrad94
December 5th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Didn't Idaho make a bowl game? They certainly weren't close to the WORST FBS team out there.

CHIP72
December 5th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Didn't Idaho make a bowl game? They certainly weren't close to the WORST FBS team out there.

They did - the Vandals were 8-4 this year.

tigonian02
December 5th, 2016, 08:06 PM
They did - the Vandals were 8-4 this year.

Half of the Sunbelt teams this year made a bowl. As far as GaSouthern is concerned, there is no overwhelming delusion going on. The simple truth is that we sucked this year. It wasn't due to the players on the roster...we made a bad coaching hire...a hire in which our AD just defended, and gave another year to correct his errors (which in turn handcuffs him to the said coach if things are this bad again next year). It's both sad and encouraging to see teams like WMU, make it to the access bowl, knowing that we didn't give our best to them. The floor for GaSouthern should be 6 wins every year in the Sunbelt. Now we have to deal with this clown for another year. All I can say is that we'll see what happens next year. As far as the subject of this thread, we are far from a situation where we're on the edge of being forced back down to FCS. Idaho has the misfortune of not having an FBS conference anywhere near them (that wants them). They did pretty well this year and earned a bowl, but if the rumors are true, their coach is attempting to bail on them. No doubt they will have a new coach before they finish their transition.

citdog
December 5th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Half of the Sunbelt teams this year made a bowl. As far as GaSouthern is concerned, there is no overwhelming delusion going on. The simple truth is that we sucked this year. It wasn't due to the players on the roster...we made a bad coaching hire...a hire in which our AD just defended, and gave another year to correct his errors (which in turn handcuffs him to the said coach if things are this bad again next year). It's both sad and encouraging to see teams like WMU, make it to the access bowl, knowing that we didn't give our best to them. The floor for GaSouthern should be 6 wins every year in the Sunbelt. Now we have to deal with this clown for another year. All I can say is that we'll see what happens next year. As far as the subject of this thread, we are far from a situation where we're on the edge of being forced back down to FCS. Idaho has the misfortune of not having an FBS conference anywhere near them (that wants them). They did pretty well this year and earned a bowl, but if the rumors are true, their coach is attempting to bail on them. No doubt they will have a new coach before they finish their transition.

GSU is in ATLANTA

tigonian02
December 5th, 2016, 09:34 PM
GSU is in ATLANTA

Yes they are. Not sure about the relevance of your post, but I'm glad you know Atlanta facts. My original post was in regards to Lehigh TU Owl's posts about Georgia Southern (which is in Statesboro if you didn't know...although you should...we've beaten you 19 times xthumbsupx).

Receiving votes is nice and all, but the real goal is the same as it was in FCS, and that is to receive as much positive recognition as possible for the school. As far as football is concerned, before 2013 that involved chasing the FCS national championship. Now it's ranking up and trying to get into that access bowl spot, which could end up within this expanded 8 team playoff that seems to be gaining traction. Yeah, we played a MAC team last year in a bowl game but they weren't 7-5, they were 10-3. The Sunbelt gets a lot of ***** here, but the conference as a whole is making good progress. Until recently, we were ahead of the MAC, and CUSA in conference RPI ranking. 6 of the 11 teams made it into a bowl this year, which I'm not sure has ever happened before (unfortunately not GaSouthern), and Troy for a second was ranked in the AP Poll and in the top 3 or 4 competing for that access bowl spot, which looks like it's going to go to a MAC team this year.

I'm not here to bash FCS or compare it to FBS. I thought the topic was interesting and gave it my two cents. I will say that Troy didn't have the guts to beat us, which ultimately doomed us to having to deal with our coach for one more year. If things aren't better next year (he just fired both OCs, so who knows), UNH could potentially do what Troy couldn't and finally seal his fate.

Nor Eastern
December 5th, 2016, 09:46 PM
I have zero idea why Southern didn't hire Chadwell. That didn't make a lot of sense. They definitely mis-hired. Yet, they're still 23−14 in 3 seasons in FBS. They made a good addition to the Sun Belt. So did Appalachian who has record against the Sun Belt and other conferences as well. App State has only lost one non-sunbelt G5 game in their first three years by 1 point to Southern Miss, played in their first year of FBS before they went on a 6 win run.

tigonian02
December 5th, 2016, 11:08 PM
I have zero idea why Southern didn't hire Chadwell. That didn't make a lot of sense. They definitely mis-hired. Yet, they're still 23−14 in 3 seasons in FBS. They made a good addition to the Sun Belt. So did Appalachian who has record against the Sun Belt and other conferences as well. App State has only lost one non-sunbelt G5 game in their first three years by 1 point to Southern Miss, played in their first year of FBS before they went on a 6 win run.

I agree. I still would like Chadwell. I heard he didn't interview well, which is probably a load of BS. On Sunday, our fan base collectively crapped the bed when our AD came out and said he wasn't firing Summers. We will be searching for an OC though. It's all speculation, but I would imagine we're looking at UNM, Navy, Charleston Southern, and others who have run first offenses. But it's going to take someone who's not afraid to tie themselves to the potential sinking ship a.k.a. this current staff. I guess we'll have to wait one more year to give Chadwell the nod. We'll likely be searching for an AD also if that's the case.

Go...gate
December 6th, 2016, 12:34 AM

Yes, they did receive a bowl bid. Hard to understand why they want to reclassify.

tigonian02
December 6th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Yes, they did receive a bowl bid. Hard to understand why they want to reclassify.

Petrino has done well rebuilding the program for them, but they don't have an administration willing to even attempt to try FBS independence. Aside from that, their biggest issue is that no G5 wants to add them. Maybe if they were as good as they are this year in years past, the Sunbelt would have renewed their contract with them.

Sitting Bull
December 6th, 2016, 05:06 AM

Because the Big Sky conference is the only logical place for them to compete within an all sports conference and it happens to sponsor FCS football. Idaho still plays in a 15,000 seat dome, which isn't far from average at the FCS level, never mind FBS. There is nothing to help substantiate Idaho as a serious FBS member.

Why anyone would throw an entire athletic department into financial limbo for a possible Bowl game is lunacy.

To the question, UMass is an obvious pick. There is nothing there to make the transition work (a conference, facilities) and no indication from their draw that it makes a spit of difference with their fans, save 30-40 hardcore posters who want them to be Alabama.

Eventually, all of G5 outside AAC and MW should fold into FCS or whatever you want to call it. It's triple A college football and that's not going to change.

Penguin Nation
December 6th, 2016, 07:26 AM
It's only a matter of time until most of the MAC drops to FCS. At least the MAC East. Akron recently dropped baseball and continues to buy their own tickets since they are way below 15K in paid attendance. Funny how places that teach math have no clue what it is.

tigonian02
December 6th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Because the Big Sky conference is the only logical place for them to compete within an all sports conference and it happens to sponsor FCS football. Idaho still plays in a 15,000 seat dome, which isn't far from average at the FCS level, never mind FBS. There is nothing to help substantiate Idaho as a serious FBS member.

Why anyone would throw an entire athletic department into financial limbo for a possible Bowl game is lunacy.

To the question, UMass is an obvious pick. There is nothing there to make the transition work (a conference, facilities) and no indication from their draw that it makes a spit of difference with their fans, save 30-40 hardcore posters who want them to be Alabama.

Eventually, all of G5 outside AAC and MW should fold into FCS or whatever you want to call it. It's triple A college football and that's not going to change.

This. It really is their only logical option.

Nor Eastern
December 6th, 2016, 09:26 AM
UMass is a basketball school otherwise they'd be full members of the MAC right now. They had the offer, said no and got kicked to independent. Can't fault them for doing their own thing. I think they're hoping to get a life line thrown from the AAC. Don't see that happening. They're having no scheduling teams as Indy.

Idaho makes sense to go back to FCS. They're on a real island out there and their administration cares little for FBS.

NMST will survive as Indy just like UMass. There are enough teams that they'll make a full schedule and probably will save on travel costs compared to the Sun Belt.

clenz
December 6th, 2016, 08:07 PM
CBS came out with their bottom 25. The "winner"? Texas State.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-bottom-25-rankings-crowning-our-champion-texas-state/

Other former fcs programs in the bottom 25?

1. Texas State, 2-10
6. Massachusetts, 2-10
7. Marshall,
11. UL-Monroe, 4-8
20. Charlotte, 4-8