View Full Version : SOCON Predictions, Power Rankings, and Playoffs - Week 10

ElCid
October 30th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Power Rankings

1 - The Citadel - Still owns its destiny, for now
2 - Samford - They are playing so good, they move up a notch
3 - Chattanooga - they may be off just a bit, maybe because they don't own their destiny right now
4 - Wofford - Strong win
5 - Mercer - Still a good team, will be fioghting for a winning season
6 - Furman - Looking much stronger down the stretch
7 - VMI - They may have issues if Cobb is out
8 - WCU - Are they putting it together finally?
9 - ETSU - Long way to go

Predictions

Samford @ The Citadel - The fact that Samford scored 41 points against an SEC team should scare anyone. I am not too impressed with the SEC Dogs defense, but still a notable achievement. With the way Samford has been playing lately this game scares me more than the UTC game did. The Chucktown Dogs give up too many short passes and Hodges cranks those out in a prolific manner, not to mention the deep balls. I think the only way we keep the Bama Dogs from scoring a lot is holding the ball 35-40 minutes. Then we can make it a Dog fight. Samford is ok at rush defense but they gave up almost 300 yards against Wofford and UTC. The Citadel has a bonus in being at home again for its only back to back home games this year. It is homecoming as well and tickets are just about gone. I am going to hate myself, but I still don't think the Citadel can do it. You can only reach into the magic bag so many times. Bama Dogs - 27-24

ETSU @ Mercer - Bears big - 49-13

Wofford @ Furman - Furman is getting back in the grove apparently and Wofford hasn't won in Greenville since 07. But Terriers responded well this past week and will want to cement their playoff chances - 25-17

VMI @ WCU - WCU got some offensive things in order this past week even if their defense appears to still be in idle. BUT, depending on what the status of Al Cobb is, that may very well decide this game. And even if he is not out for the season, he may be out for this game or a bit gimpy and that will be the difference, if it looks like he will be 100%, then I may revise this - Cats get a SOCON win - 31-20

UTC - IDLE, but most likely pulling for the Samford Bulldogs big time.

Playoff Picture

Good position

The Citadel - (8-0) 7 Div I wins, currently in SOCON drivers seat (still to go - Samford, VMI, UNC)

UTC - (8-1) 7 Div I wins (still to go - Wofford, Alabama)

Samford - (6-2) 5 Div I wins, has OOC Cent Ark Win (still to go - Cid, Mercer, ETSU)

Bubble

Wofford - (5-3) 4 Div I wins (still to go - Furman, UTC, VMI) really needs to win out to have an easy playoff berth at 8-3, 7-4 is probably a no go, but obviously depends upon the rest of the field. If they lose to UTC along with Cid and Samford already, probably a no go.

Autobid

Now for the fun part in regard to the autobid.

If The Citadel beats Samford, then it is probably game over, although VMI plays the Dogs pretty tough.

If Samford beats The Citadel...three way tie. Cid beat Mocs, Mocs beat Samford, Samford beat Cid. The following week's games would then all be critical in deciding the tie breaking results. Samford against Mercer, The Citadel against VMI, and UTC against Wofford. If any of the top teams loses, they are done and the head to head for the remaining teams would decide it. If all three of the top teams win, then the only loss any of them would have would be against eachother and it would come down to points allowed. Right now The Citadel leads that stat at 16.7 a game with UTC at 22.2 and Samford at 25.2. I did it by points per game because UTC has played one more game than the other two teams. The raw points are The Citadel 100, Samford 126, and UTC 133. Defenses might very well win championships.

chattanoogamocs
October 30th, 2016, 03:57 PM
3 - Chattanooga - they may be off just a bit, maybe because they don't own their destiny right now

Or the Mocs have just played 9 consecutive weeks with no break and have a lot of banged up players...including their #1 RB that has been held out for two weeks. The Mocs have played conservative the last two weeks after running out to big leads (QB1 that had to leave the VMI game in the 3rd quarter to have fluid drained off his knee).

Chattanooga has dominated the first halves against VMI (Keydets had 39 yards of total offense at the break last week) and Western (led 31-10 at the half and scored on their first 4 possessions) and then basically put it on cruise control in the 2nd halves, resting players and giving back ups a LOT of time (I have seen more of back up QB Tyler Roberson in the last two games than in the last 3 years combined). Alex Trotter, 3rd string RB, set career highs for yards and carries yesterday. Just because the scores aren't blowouts, doesn't mean that WCU or VMI were really in either game. Outside of a couple of great runs by Newsome (duly impressed, that dude is fast once he get a step on the D!), WCU had very little else on offense and their defense was just plain bad.

As for Samford, I was really excited to see how many points they put up against an SEC team (I will ALWAYS pull for SoCon teams against the SEC/ACC)...but it is tempered by the fact that State is awful and Samford gave up nearly 700 yards on defense.

But yeah, there won't be a Chattanooga fan that won't be pulling for Alabama Bulldogs this weekend. I am actually glad that this is UTC's off week so I can watch CIT/SAM without distraction, it should be an interesting and entertaining game.

Elcid1995
October 30th, 2016, 04:08 PM
The Citadel
Chat
Sammie
Woof Woof
Mercie
Furple
Stonewalls
Western
E.T.

Citadel by a touchdown

Mercer wins another

Wofford stomps the paladins

VMI over WCU

UTC comes away unscathed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
October 30th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Or the Mocs have just played 9 consecutive weeks with no break and have a lot of banged up players...including their #1 RB that has been held out for two weeks. The Mocs have played conservative the last two weeks after running out to big leads (QB1 that had to leave the VMI game in the 3rd quarter to have fluid drained off his knee).

Chattanooga has dominated the first halves against VMI (Keydets had 39 yards of total offense at the break last week) and Western (led 31-10 at the half and scored on their first 4 possessions) and then basically put it on cruise control in the 2nd halves, resting players and giving back ups a LOT of time (I have seen more of back up QB Tyler Roberson in the last two games than in the last 3 years combined). Alex Trotter, 3rd string RB, set career highs for yards and carries yesterday. Just because the scores aren't blowouts, doesn't mean that WCU or VMI were really in either game. Outside of a couple of great runs by Newsome (duly impressed, that dude is fast once he get a step on the D!), WCU had very little else on offense and their defense was just plain bad.

As for Samford, I was really excited to see how many points they put up against an SEC team (I will ALWAYS pull for SoCon teams against the SEC/ACC)...but it is tempered by the fact that State is awful and Samford gave up nearly 700 yards on defense.

But yeah, there won't be a Chattanooga fan that won't be pulling for Alabama Bulldogs this weekend. I am actually glad that this is UTC's off week so I can watch CIT/SAM without distraction, it should be an interesting and entertaining game.

Well I didn't necessarily mean that UTC was all of sudden bad. They just didn't seem to have the same spring in their step when I watched them the last two weeks. They have played well. But lately, just not as domineering as they have earlier. I would have never guessed they would have allowed over 500 yards from WCU even if they had the game in hand the whole time. I am sure they will enjoy a week off to prepare for Wofford. It will most likely be another slobber knocker.

bonarae
October 30th, 2016, 04:54 PM
The Citadel
Mercer
Wofford
WCU

CID1990
October 30th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Samford
Wofford
Mercer
WCU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catamount man
October 30th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Citadel over Samford
Furman over Wofford
Mercer over ETSU
WCU over VMI

moc n tn1991
October 30th, 2016, 07:08 PM
I know after playing nine weeks without a bye week, the CHATTANOOGA players will get a well deserved break. That many weeks can really be taxing both mentally and physically.

longtimemocfan
October 30th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Well I didn't necessarily mean that UTC was all of sudden bad. They just didn't seem to have the same spring in their step when I watched them the last two weeks. They have played well. But lately, just not as domineering as they have earlier. I would have never guessed they would have allowed over 500 yards from WCU even if they had the game in hand the whole time. I am sure they will enjoy a week off to prepare for Wofford. It will most likely be another slobber knocker.

You mean over 400 yards. 446. Don't make it worse than it was. In all honesty I was a little alarmed by it too. I think the week off will be essential in getting key players healthy and rested. I think we'll be fine for Wofford.

PaladinFan
October 30th, 2016, 08:57 PM
I like Furman's chances against the Terriers. ETSU and VMI are not world beaters, but Furman has looked in complete control on both sides of the ball the last two weeks. Nice to finally see the Furman team many of our fans expected to see this season starting to make an appearance.

Statistically speaking, I believe Furman is the best FCS defense Wofford has yet seen. Rush defense numbers aren't great, but a lot of that is attributable to a horrific showing against Kennesaw State down our two starting linebackers. On the other hand, Furman held the Citadel to under 200 yards rushing in Week 2. In either event, third time Furman has seen the option this season.

Perhaps the key to the game is Reese Hannon. Hannon has put up over 1600 yards and 15 touchdowns with a 66% completion rate in six games. Only Hodges is putting up more offense per game than Hannon. I expect the game may come down to how well Wofford keeps Furman air attack in check.

ElCid
October 30th, 2016, 08:58 PM
You mean over 400 yards. 446. Don't make it worse than it was. In all honesty I was a little alarmed by it too. I think the week off will be essential in getting key players healthy and rested. I think we'll be fine for Wofford.

So funny. I just came back to correct it as I was just reviewing the box score and play by play. Sorry. I need to re-watch it as well.

P.S. it was still a lot.:D

PaladinFan
October 30th, 2016, 09:05 PM
One interesting wrinkle Furman has started to work into the game is running Reese Hannon, who has been pretty much a pocket passer his entire career.

Hannon had 13 carries against VMI (led the team). He had 10 carries two weeks earlier with a long touchdown run against Samford.

Furman is not really using him off the read option. Most of the time he tucks it under his arm and follows his blockers off tackle. Hannon's a big kid (6'2 212) and while not particularly agile, has good straight line speed and is a big barreling runner. Best I can tell, Furman will spread the defense out in a passing look, and then run Hannon behind either of the two big running backs (Richard Hayes or Antonio Wilcox).

longtimemocfan
October 30th, 2016, 09:17 PM
So funny. I just came back to correct it as I was just reviewing the box score and play by play. Sorry. I need to re-watch it as well.

P.S. it was still a lot.:D

Yes the yardage total is like I say alarming. I'm trying to chalk up to maybe some tired beat up players. I watched and even slowed down the 95 yard run which by the way was the longest given up in program history. And it wasn't like Newsome broke a bunch of tackles, we just got blocked.

Mocs123
October 30th, 2016, 09:32 PM
I was alarmed by the big plays put up by WCU (and VMI had one last week). Newsome had TD Runs of 95 and 75 yards and another long run of 40 yards. If (big if) we don't give up those plays, we hold WCU in check.

The Catamounts have good skill guys. Newsome is good and fast (I was surprised our DBs couldn't catch him) and Adams looked like a raw Armanti(sp) Edwards. He will put fear into teams for a long time.

We had a couple of miscues of offense as well. Bennifield didn't look as sharp as he did earlier in the year. It could have just been a bad game or that knee might be bothering him more than he let on. If you notice, he didn't run much.

Speir has WCU heading in the right direction.

Yes, I will be routing for Samford this week, but am more concerned with getting us right and healthy and beating a tough Wofford team to lock our spot in the playoffs.

I hope the SoCon gets at least three teams in and that they all win a game.

Bucs2016
October 30th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Power Rankings

1 - The Citadel - Still owns its destiny, for now
2 - Samford - They are playing so good, they move up a notch
4 - Wofford - Strong win
5 - Mercer - Still a good team, will be fioghting for a winning season
6 - Furman - Looking much stronger down the stretch
7 - VMI - They may have issues if Cobb is out
8 - WCU - Are they putting it together finally?
9 - ETSU - Long way to go

Predictions

Samford @ The Citadel - The fact that Samford scored 41 points against an SEC team should scare anyone. I am not too impressed with the SEC Dogs defense, but still a notable achievement. With the way Samford has been playing lately this game scares me more than the UTC game did. The Chucktown Dogs give up too many short passes and Hodges cranks those out in a prolific manner, not to mention the deep balls. I think the only way we keep the Bama Dogs from scoring a lot is holding the ball 35-40 minutes. Then we can make it a Dog fight. Samford is ok at rush defense but they gave up almost 300 yards against Wofford and UTC. The Citadel has a bonus in being at home again for its only back to back home games this year. It is homecoming as well and tickets are just about gone. I am going to hate myself, but I still don't think the Citadel can do it. You can only reach into the magic bag so many times. Bama Dogs - 27-24

ETSU @ Mercer - Bears big - 49-13

Wofford @ Furman - Furman is getting back in the grove apparently and Wofford hasn't won in Greenville since 07. But Terriers responded well this past week and will want to cement their playoff chances - 25-17

VMI @ WCU - WCU got some offensive things in order this past week even if their defense appears to still be in idle. BUT, depending on what the status of Al Cobb is, that may very well decide this game. And even if he is not out for the season, he may be out for this game or a bit gimpy and that will be the difference, if it looks like he will be 100%, then I may revise this - Cats get a SOCON win - 31-20

UTC - IDLE, but most likely pulling for the Samford Bulldogs big time.

Playoff Picture

Good position

The Citadel - (8-0) 7 Div I wins, currently in SOCON drivers seat (still to go - Samford, VMI, UNC)

UTC - (8-1) 7 Div I wins (still to go - Wofford, Alabama)

Samford - (6-2) 5 Div I wins, has OOC Cent Ark Win (still to go - Cid, Mercer, ETSU)

Bubble

Wofford - (5-3) 4 Div I wins (still to go - Furman, UTC, VMI) really needs to win out to have an easy playoff berth at 8-3, 7-4 is probably a no go, but obviously depends upon the rest of the field. If they lose to UTC along with Cid and Samford already, probably a no go.

Autobid

Now for the fun part in regard to the autobid.

If The Citadel beats Samford, then it is probably game over, although VMI plays the Dogs pretty tough.

If Samford beats The Citadel...three way tie. Cid beat Mocs, Mocs beat Samford, Samford beat Cid. The following week's games would then all be critical in deciding the tie breaking results. Samford against Mercer, The Citadel against VMI, and UTC against Wofford. If any of the top teams loses, they are done and the head to head for the remaining teams would decide it. If all three of the top teams win, then the only loss any of them would have would be against eachother and it would come down to points allowed. Right now The Citadel leads that stat at 16.7 a game with UTC at 22.2 and Samford at 25.2. I did it by points per game because UTC has played one more game than the other two teams. The raw points are The Citadel 100, Samford 126, and UTC 133. Defenses might very well win championships.

Samford should come out wearing Blue and Gold unis. Trust me...Citadel will fold.

CID1990
October 30th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Samford should come out wearing Blue and Gold unis. Trust me...Citadel will fold.

You've won four in a row and yet we still live rent free in your heads. Your fan base is more obsessed with our team than we are.

Should we mention you more often? Is that it?

ElCid
October 30th, 2016, 11:40 PM
You've won four in a row and yet we still live rent free in your heads. Your fan base is more obsessed with our team than we are.

Should we mention you more often? Is that it?

He does seem obsessed with The Citadel somehow. Maybe he has shako envy.

ElCid
October 30th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Citadel over Samford
Furman over Wofford
Mercer over ETSU
WCU over VMI

Did you see the news flash out of Cullowhee?

Defensive Coordinator let go.

http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/103016aaa.html

ElCid
October 31st, 2016, 01:13 AM
Review of this past week's SOCON games on The FCS Wedge.

http://thefcswedge.com/socon/socon-week-9-review-and-power-rankings/

Smitty
October 31st, 2016, 05:01 AM
Well thankfully Western fired their defensive coordinator after having one of the worst defenses I've ever seen. I hate that a guy got fired but it was not working out. This is a big deal because normally Western coaches don't make necessary changes and later sink because they stood by their assistants instead of making the hard call.

Elcid1995
October 31st, 2016, 06:02 AM

CSU trolls. Their four fans are just the worst.

Elcid1995
October 31st, 2016, 06:03 AM
Did you see the news flash out of Cullowhee?

Defensive Coordinator let go.

http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/103016aaa.html

Hate to see a guy fired mid season at an FCS school. Must have been pretty bad

Smitty
October 31st, 2016, 06:54 AM

Ranked 120th out of 122 in the FCS in overall defense, 120th in sacks, nearly giving up an average of 510 yards per game

PaladinFan
October 31st, 2016, 07:53 AM
Hit that knocked Al Cobb out of the game at 1:25. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3EscQmKPZc

Clean hit, but Cobb never saw the defender coming.

Catamount87
October 31st, 2016, 07:59 AM

Without a doubt, one of the worst defensive performances over a given season. It wasn't because of the talent on the field either. Okay, we are thin on the defensive line. But the defensive play calling and positioning has been atrocious. All too often when we've been close or even leading defensive laps have sunk us. A prime example of that is past Saturday. We have the Mocs deep in their territory on a 3rd and 8. They'd just committed an offensive pass interference (IMHO, a good penalty or we would have had an interception.) and the previous play committed a false start. Just before the snap, we go from showing a tight coverage and possibly a blitz to a super soft zone defense. I mean like 10-15 yards+ off. The Mocs convert a pitch and catch pass that ends up going for 23 yards. They go on to score at TD later in the drive.

Everyone, I mean everyone in the stands around me yelled no at the same time when the defense backed off so much. We all knew even a middle school team could have converted that first down.

SU DOG
October 31st, 2016, 08:51 AM
CSU trolls. Their four fans are just the worst.

To say THAT team would fold is just asinine.

SU DOG
October 31st, 2016, 08:57 AM
BTW, I encourage ALL that troll or post on this thread to go and second the nomination of Samford @ The Citadel for AGS GOTW.

longtimemocfan
October 31st, 2016, 09:19 AM
BTW, I encourage ALL that troll or post on this thread to go and second the nomination of Samford @ The Citadel for AGS GOTW.

Going to be a tough hill to climb for Samford having to play in Charleston. Believe me I was hoping this game was in Birmingham as you know how important a win for Samford to us will be. The Citadel just plays at another level at home in front of their home crowd.

Elcid1995
October 31st, 2016, 09:38 AM

It's gonna be a tough one. Sammie is coming to play. God Bless all the players and coaches. Can't wait for Saturday. Safe travels to the Bama Dpgs.

walliver
October 31st, 2016, 09:41 AM
Power rankings:
1) The Citadel - still unbeaten
2) Chattanooga - Winning, but not as impressively as early in the year.
3) Samford - not far behind
4) Wofford - bounced back, but limited by injuries
5) Mercer - First Senior class playing hard, but these guys were recruited to a PFL team. Still they should be proud of what they have accomplished.
6) Furman - still dangerous
7) VMI - no big wins yet.
8) WCU - firing DC mid-season won't change much this year.
9) ETSU - possibly could finish higher in standings than WCU, but it's still a second year program.

This week:
Samford at the Citadel - Sammy will score points and the Chucktown pups need to boost their offensive output. Bama pups could easily win this, but Bellhops seem to be a team of destiny and pull it out 31-28

ETSU at Mercer - Mountain pirates are at least scoring points now, but stopping nobody and cubs win big 42-10

VMI at WCU - Cants will score. On the other side of the ball a weakened VMI defense will take on a porous WCU defense and anything can happen. Cants win one 28-17 (but no possible outcome would surprise me.

Wofford at Furman - Wofford rarely plays well in Travelers Rest and often loses to bad Furple teams, and offense needs to step up. Hopefully Ayers will have team prepared, and Wofford wins over a vastly under-rated horsey team 17-14

Playoffs:
Citadel most likely auto bid
Chatty, even if they lose to Wofford, will be in good shape
Sammy - should be in good shape for at-large even with Citadel loss - they do need to win the rest.
Wofford - needs to win out, and even them could be on the bubble fighting for third spot with Sammy

SU DOG
October 31st, 2016, 10:01 AM
Going to be a tough hill to climb for Samford having to play in Charleston. Believe me I was hoping this game was in Birmingham as you know how important a win for Samford to us will be. The Citadel just plays at another level at home in front of their home crowd.

Definitely true about The Citadel at home. This is the kind of game with obstacles, however, that a playoff team must learn to overcome in establishing their caliber. I don't know what will happen, but I do think we are close to being that kind of team. Our guys have improved over the course of the season.xnodx Some needed changes in personnel were made after the UTC game, and this team is far better than it was when we weren't as competitive as we should have been. Our offense would be difficult for any FCS team to stop, and stats aside, our defense is better than most folks realize. I'm not tooting a horn for this Saturday, however. Before I make a prediction I will have to get an injury update. We did have several go down at Starkville. I'm not even sure I know all that did, but both starting DTs will not be able to go first half. I believe that one got a serious injury Saturday, and the other will be held out for a half due to a targeting call. That's 7 of 22 STARTERS that were injured then or previously and include WLB(Salmon) who is our leading tackler, OL-RT(Johnson), RB(Curry), CB(Williams), and #2 WR(Obajimi). No excuses here, as hopefully some of these will probably return for this game, and our depth is better than I EVER recall it being. Just a note that my prediction and score will be delayed. This game will not be for the faint of heart - like me. Must get the Xanax refilled before Saturday. xlolx

PaladinFan
October 31st, 2016, 10:05 AM
So, apple of discord time. If Samford beats Citadel, we could be back in 2013's tiebreaker circle of fun for the autobid.

Assuming Samford tops Citadel, and Samford, Citadel, and UTC all end up 7-1 in conference play. All three would be co-champs. Next tie breaker is record against tied teams, which would not help because all three would be 1-1 against the other two.

Unlike 2013, all three teams would be undefeated against the rest of the conference. That basically throws out much of the tie breaking procedure.

The last tie breaker before "random draw" is "fewest points allowed among the tied teams." Now, I can read that both to mean fewest total points allowed as compared to the other two. I also think you could plausibly read that to say fewest points allowed in games between the tied teams (that is, games against one another). If the former, Samford probably wouldn't be in the running as they are weaker defensively. Incredibly, UTC has given up 133 points this year. Citadel 134.

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/Championships/Tie-Breaking/Tie-breaking_Procedures_Football.pdf

kdinva
October 31st, 2016, 10:07 AM
1 - The Citadel
t2 - Samford
t2 - UTC
4 - Wofford -
5 - Mercer
6 - Furman
t7 - VMI
t7- WCU
9 - ETSU

Samford 33; The Citadel 28
VMI 24; WCU 22
Wofford 28; Furman 24
Mercer 41; ETSU 21

Catamount87
October 31st, 2016, 10:23 AM
Power Rankings
1. The Citadel - undefeated means you're #1
2. (Tie) Samford - playing like a well oiled machine
UTC - had a weakness exposed in the top defense
4. Wofford - Ran over and away from Mercer
5. Mercer - just not enough bearpower to crack the top 4
6. Furman - that much better than 7-9
7. VMI - not enough talent or depth to move up but enough to be competitive
8. (Tie) WCU - too much talent to be this bad but changes are happening
ETSU - plenty of heart but not enough depth

Predictions
Wofford at Furman - No love lost between these neighbors, the Terriers are tougher this year
Samford at The Citadel - Samford can light it up but the dogs play tough and pull out another close one
VMI at WCU - Cats get their first SoCon win with Coach Speir making some needed defensive adjustments
ETSU at Mercer - Mercer puts away the Bucs early

Season prediction record: 37 - 9

ElCid
October 31st, 2016, 10:46 AM
So, apple of discord time. If Samford beats Citadel, we could be back in 2013's tiebreaker circle of fun for the autobid.

Assuming Samford tops Citadel, and Samford, Citadel, and UTC all end up 7-1 in conference play. All three would be co-champs. Next tie breaker is record against tied teams, which would not help because all three would be 1-1 against the other two.

Unlike 2013, all three teams would be undefeated against the rest of the conference. That basically throws out much of the tie breaking procedure.

The last tie breaker before "random draw" is "fewest points allowed among the tied teams." Now, I can read that both to mean fewest total points allowed as compared to the other two. I also think you could plausibly read that to say fewest points allowed in games between the tied teams (that is, games against one another). If the former, Samford probably wouldn't be in the running as they are weaker defensively. Incredibly, UTC has given up 133 points this year. Citadel 134.

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/Championships/Tie-Breaking/Tie-breaking_Procedures_Football.pdf

I believe it is SOCON points only, not all games. It is implied, not written, but why would you include all games for a conference tie breaker? Go see my first post of thread. The Citadel is in the lead by a bunch. If Samford wins this week, and then all three are tied, then it comes down to the week after and there are some hard games for UTC and Samford and even for The Citadel with VMI rivalry. If all three win, then it is down to points.

walliver
October 31st, 2016, 10:47 AM

I believe it is fewest points allowed during all games. This came up in 2012 with three teams tied at 6-2. There was no clear cut 4th place team and GSU won by allowing the fewest points. I'm a little cloudy on the details, but I'm pretty sure all conference games counted for fewest points allowed.

Of course, I anticipate a Chatty loss in two weeks:). On the other hand, this being the SoCon, Sammy and El Cid could find a way to lose a second game, too.

ElCid
October 31st, 2016, 10:54 AM
I believe it is fewest points allowed during all games. This came up in 2012 with three teams tied at 6-2. There was no clear cut 4th place team and GSU won by allowing the fewest points. I'm a little cloudy on the details, but I'm pretty sure all conference games counted for fewest points allowed.

Of course, I anticipate at Chatty loss in two weeks:). On the other hand, this being the SoCon, Sammy and El Cid could find a way to lose a second game, too.

Did you mean all CONFERENCE GAMES?

walliver
October 31st, 2016, 10:55 AM
Yes.

I had corrected it in the next phrase but didn't go back to change the first sentence.

ElCid
October 31st, 2016, 11:01 AM
Yes.

I had corrected it in the next phrase but didn't go back to change the first sentence.

Yeah my brain was short circuiting reading that. I though that was what you meant, but my brain isn't in gear yet this morning.

Just to be clear it, as of today, it is...

The Citadel - 96

Samford - 126

UTC - 133

I went back and checked my math again. UTC has one more game played though, so it will tighten up. With the way Samford can score, UTC may very well be in the lead after Saturday unless we can find a way to shut them down.

walliver
October 31st, 2016, 11:05 AM
BTW in 2012, three teams were tied for fourth at 5-3 : The Citadel, Samford and Chattanooga. In some ways, 2012 was the last year of an era dominated first by ASU, GSU and Furman; and later by ASU, GSU, and Wofford. I miss the good old days:(, even though we are just 5 points away from sole possession of first place this year.

kdinva
October 31st, 2016, 11:31 AM
Hit that knocked Al Cobb out of the game at 1:25. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3EscQmKPZc

Clean hit, but Cobb never saw the defender coming.

VMI had a back up in at left OT........and for some reason, he blocked down instead of checking the OLB.......ouch.

Spider from the North
October 31st, 2016, 01:12 PM
Samford @The Citadel
VMI @WCU
Wofford @ Furman
ETSU @ Mercer

longtimemocfan
October 31st, 2016, 01:15 PM
Yeah my brain was short circuiting reading that. I though that was what you meant, but my brain isn't in gear yet this morning.

Just to be clear it, as of today, it is...

The Citadel - 96

Samford - 126

UTC - 133

I went back and checked my math again. UTC has one more game played though, so it will tighten up. With the way Samford can score, UTC may very well be in the lead after Saturday unless we can find a way to shut them down.

That kind of stinks just because in most our wins the bench has been emptied by the 4th quarter. I would think or hope the coaches are aware of this tie breaker. Of course If you just win it doesn't matter so much.

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2016, 01:33 PM
In the grand scheme of things, if Samford, Citadel and UTC all end up 7-1...all of them will get a share of the title, all of them will end up in the playoffs...so I am not sure it matters that much much who officially gets the autobid. Now if everyone was 6-2, I'd be nervous that someone would get left out like UTC did in 2013.

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2016, 01:38 PM
I know after playing nine weeks without a bye week, the CHATTANOOGA players will get a well deserved break. That many weeks can really be taxing both mentally and physically.

The TFP article this morning mentioned that they probably needed a mental break right now as much as a physical one. One of the players said it will be nice to just be a college student for a couple of days.

ElCid
October 31st, 2016, 01:42 PM
The TFP article this morning mentioned that they probably needed a mental break right now as much as a physical one. One of the players said it will be nice to just be a college student for a couple of days.

Ala sex, drugs, and rock and roll? xlolx

SU DOG
October 31st, 2016, 01:45 PM

Agreed. Also another one of my many worries - This will be Samford's 7th in a row, off the heels of a bruising SEC beating, a very LONG bus ride, and playing one of the most physically brutal FCS teams in the land.

longtimemocfan
October 31st, 2016, 01:58 PM
Agreed. Also another one of my many worries - This will be Samford's 7th in a row, off the heels of a bruising SEC beating, a very LONG bus ride, and playing one of the most physically brutal FCS teams in the land.

The main reason I like playing those games early on in the season.

PaladinFan
October 31st, 2016, 02:09 PM
In the grand scheme of things, if Samford, Citadel and UTC all end up 7-1...all of them will get a share of the title, all of them will end up in the playoffs...so I am not sure it matters that much much who officially gets the autobid. Now if everyone was 6-2, I'd be nervous that someone would get left out like UTC did in 2013.

So, you are volunteering the Mocs to forego possibility of a seed and play North Dakota State on the road?

Mocs123
October 31st, 2016, 02:29 PM
I want to win a share of the confrence title and get a seed, however that is out of our control. We just need to go beat Wofford and then the chips fall where they may.

If Samford beats The Citadel we would be boarder line in getting a seed just as we were last year.

I would like to host a game or two but if we have to travel I would much rather our path run through Jacksonville, AL. as we have some unfinished business there.

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2016, 02:34 PM
So, you are volunteering the Mocs to forego possibility of a seed and play North Dakota State on the road?

Maybe I am not understanding what you are saying, but I don't really see where one has anything to do with the other. Getting the autobid doesn't get you a seed if one of the other teams has a stronger profile. Especially considering some of the silly ways that are used to break a tie.

Furman got the autobid and got bracketed with the 1-seed in 2013. Samford got an at-large was bracketed with the 6-seed. So yeah, I'd take that.

Now granted, Furman hosted a first round game and Samford has to go on the road, but that had nothing to do with autobids and seeds...that was all about how much teams were willing to bid for first round games (Furman outbid SC State and JSU outbid Samford...neither of which was terribly surprising).

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 31st, 2016, 02:59 PM
I was 4-1 last week. Furman is showing some signs of life. Here's where I have at after last weekend's games:

1) The Citadel (IN) - Avenged their loss from 2003
2) Chattanooga (IN) - Fought off a valiant effort
3) Samford (2 out of 3) - Had nothing to be ashamed of
4) Wofford (3 out of 3) - Survived their elimination match
5) Mercer (3 out of 3) - Playoff hopes are now knocking on Heaven's door
6) Furman (OUT) - Fowler lives to see another game on the sideline
7) VMI (OUT) - Lost their leader in defeat
8) ETSU (OUT) - Saw the last of their conference win streaks from 2003 come to an end
9) Western Carolina (OUT) - Saw their DC get axed a question

Predictions
Wofford @ Furman - Terriers grit out a victory on the road
VMI @ Western Carolina - Keydets find a way to win
Samford @ The Citadel (Game of the Week) - This battle goes to the dogs (of SC)
ETSU @ Mercer - Bucs look improved but fall short

thirdgendin
November 1st, 2016, 07:18 AM
Maybe I am not understanding what you are saying, but I don't really see where one has anything to do with the other. Getting the autobid doesn't get you a seed if one of the other teams has a stronger profile. Especially considering some of the silly ways that are used to break a tie.

Furman got the autobid and got bracketed with the 1-seed in 2013. Samford got an at-large was bracketed with the 6-seed. So yeah, I'd take that.

Now granted, Furman hosted a first round game and Samford has to go on the road, but that had nothing to do with autobids and seeds...that was all about how much teams were willing to bid for first round games (Furman outbid SC State and JSU outbid Samford...neither of which was terribly surprising).

Furman played AT South Carolina State in 2013 playoffs.

FUBeAR
November 1st, 2016, 05:27 PM
Power Rankings now...picks later

Because I'm tired - it's a long season - I've decided to let Mr. David Wilson rank the Top 6 Teams in the SoCon this week, instead of the 5 that he has ranked for me in recent weeks. I'll sort out the bottom 3. And, as has become my custom, I'll also post Mr. Wilson's Comparative Ratings of all 13 FCS Conferences.

Wilson SoCon Rank
Wilson National Rank
Team
W
L
Wilson Rating

Citadel

Chattanooga

Samford

Wofford

Mercer

Furman

FUBeAR SoCon Rank
FUBeAR National Rank
Team
W
L
FUBeAR Rating

>40
WCU
<671

>41
VMI
<670

>42
ETSU
<669

SoCon still has 5 Teams ranked in the Top 24, nationally! How many total Teams are in the Playoffs this year?

Wilson Conference Rank
Conference
Avg Rating

Missouri Valley Football Conference

Southern Conference

Big Sky Conference

Big South (w/o CCU)

Colonial Athletic Association

Ohio Valley Conference

Southland Conference

Patriot League

Ivy League

Northeast Conference

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

Pioneer Football League

Southwestern Athletic Conference

SoCon still ranked highly at #2, but yielded the #1 spot to the MVFC this week & the Patriot League overtook the Ivy League.
All other Conference Rankings remained the same from last week.

Milktruck74
November 2nd, 2016, 09:27 AM
Mercer
Western - in a game of who can maybe get a single stop....
Wofford - this one will be close.
Samford - One can hope.

longtimemocfan
November 2nd, 2016, 03:29 PM
Mercer
Western - in a game of who can maybe get a single stop....
Wofford - this one will be close.
Samford - One can hope.

Think a lot of us will be hoping.

SU DOG
November 2nd, 2016, 04:29 PM

A LOT of us.

ElCid
November 2nd, 2016, 04:47 PM

A LOT of us.

Uhm....not all of us.:D

SU DOG
November 2nd, 2016, 05:08 PM
Wofford @ Furman - The Terriers - will not be their own worst enemies this week. They could easily be undefeated in the SoCon right now you know.

VMI @ Western - Western - Home crowd will help. Cats desperately want a conference win.

SAMFORD @ The Citadel - Bama Dogs - Will overcome adversity (injuries, long trip, and a ridiculously good El Cid defense) and do enough to get the win. Samford may be playing at another level right now. This will be the time to show what the underrated SU defense can do.

ETSU @ Mercer - Bears - I underestimated this team. They showed against Wofford they can be really tough.

Mocs123
November 2nd, 2016, 05:23 PM
Picks:
Samford 31
The Citadel 35 - Game of the Week - I hope Samford pulls the upset, but I think at home the Bellhops will be too much and win a tight one.

Wofford 24 - Furman seems to have found its groove and Wofford has historically struggled in Paladin Stadium, but I think the Terriers are too much this year.
Furman 21

ETSU 13
Mercer 41 - Mercer takes our some frustration on the Bucs.

VMI 28
Western Carolina 33 - Upset of the Week - I could see this one going either way just like the Samford/The Citadel Game, but I don’t think Cobb will be 100% (or even playing), and I think the shakeup in Cullowhee might be a good thing for the Catamounts. Catamounts get their first SoCon win of the season.

Rankings :
1.) The Citadel - Keep the top spot until someone knocks them off
2.) Chattanooga - Getting a well deserved week off to try and get heathy for Wofford
3.) Samford - The Bulldogs had a fantastic showing offensively against Miss St.
4.) Wofford - Quietly having a good season - must win out for a playoff spot
5.) Mercer - The Bears are on the fringe of a playoff spot. Need to win out
6.) Furman - Are the Paladins starting to figure things out?
7.) VMI - The Keydets are dangerous with Cobb - but will he play this week?
8.) Western Carolina - Very talented team, but the defense keeps letting them down
9. ETSU - About where we thought the program would be at this point.

Playoff Picture:
8 wins pretty much guarantees you a spot in the playoff field, and with 7 D1 wins you “should” be in, but no guarantees. I seriously doubt a 6 win SoCon team gets in this year.
Possible D1 wins (excluding $ games)
The Citadel - 9
Chattanooga - 8
Samford - 8
Mercer - 7
Wofford - 7
VMI - 6 - Eliminated
Furman - 5 - Eliminated
ETSU - 4 - Eliminated
Western Carolina - 3 - Eliminated

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2016, 06:54 PM
I don’t think Cobb will be 100% (or even playing)

7.) VMI - The Keydets are dangerous with Cobb - but will he play this week?

Cobb is NOT listed on the 2-Deep in VMI's Game Notes for WCU ( P. 19 - http://www.vmikeydets.com/pdf9/5056408.pdf?ATCLID=211155711&SPSID=43765&SPID=3895&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=9800 )

longtimemocfan
November 2nd, 2016, 09:17 PM
Uhm....not all of us.:D

Lol I wouldn't think so.

moc n tn1991
November 3rd, 2016, 05:16 AM
Picks:
The Citadel over Samford, 34 - 31
Wofford over Furman, 24 - 17
Western Carolina over VMI, 31 - 25
Mercer over ETSU, 41 - 17

Power:
1. The Citadel
2. Chattanooga
3. Samford
4. Wofford
5. Mercer
6. Furman
7. VMI
8. Western Carolina
9. ETSU

ElCid
November 3rd, 2016, 03:46 PM
Preview of games on The FCS Wedge.

Week 10 in the Southern Conference has two games that may have a big impact on post season chances. First, it’s a battle of Bulldogs as The Samford Bulldogs take on The Citadel Bulldogs in Charleston. If The Citadel wins they take the SOCON autobid. If Samford wins it will be a three way tie between The Citadel, Samford and Chattanooga all at 6-1 and the following week’s games will decide the autobid. Next up is Furman at Wofford where the Terriers will try and continue to secure at large playoff berth. In other games ETSU visits Mercer who theoretically could end up at 7-4, but they would need to win out and 7-4 probably will not get them a playoff spot. The last game is VMI at Western Carolina. This will be WCU’s best remaining chance at gaining a conference victory this year....read more

http://thefcswedge.com/socon/socon-week-10-preview/

Scrappy94
November 3rd, 2016, 07:46 PM
Rankings:

1. The Citadel - Here until they lose. Big test this week with outright title chances on the line.
2. Chattanooga - Still winning, but the need for this bye week is obvious. Finally a chance to get healthy again after 9 straight weeks of football. Will spend the Saturday off cheering on Samford for the chance to enter a 3-way tie for 1st place.
3. Samford - Fantastic showing in the loss to Mississippi State. Will be playing very motivated this week with the chance to enter a 3-way tie for 1st place.
4. Wofford - Dark horse. Dangerous team. Still a chance for a playoff spot, but it's a tough path to get it. In if they beat Chattanooga. On the bubble if the lose to Chattanooga, and win the rest.
5. Mercer - Still a good team. Could get a playoff spot if they win out.
6. Furman - Looking better the last few weeks.
7. VMI - How with they look without Cobb?
8. ETSU - Still showing signs of a recently restarted program. Should be much more competitive next year or farther down the road.
9. Western Carolina - No SoCon wins equals last place.

Predictions:

Samford @ The Citadel - 31-28 The Citadel hasn't faced an offense as powerful and explosive as Samford.
ETSU @ Mercer - 38-17 Should be an easy win for the Bears.
Wofford @ Furman - 21-17 Paladins are getting better, but Terriers are too much for them.
VMI @ Western Carolina - 28-21 Could go either way. Edge to the Cats with Cobb out.

longtimemocfan
November 4th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Samford @ The Citadel - Tough game to call. I want to say The Citadel just because it's a home game for them, but Hodges is playing at such a high level he could level the playing field. 34-31 This could also be a O.T. game.
Wofford @ Furman - I picked Wofford just because they will be playing for their playoff lives. Could go either way. 24-21.
ETSU @ Mercer - Bears get a much needed breather. 38-14.
VMI @ Western Carolina - Cobbless VMI will not have enough for Catamount offense. 31-21.

The Citadel
Chattanooga
Samford
Wofford
Mercer
Furman
WCU
VMI
ETSU

catamount man
November 4th, 2016, 02:09 PM

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2016, 01:57 AM
Power Rankings now...picks later
Because I'm tired - it's a long season - I've decided to let Mr. David Wilson rank the Top 6 Teams in the SoCon this week, instead of the 5 that he has ranked for me in recent weeks. I'll sort out the bottom 3. And, as has become my custom, I'll also post Mr. Wilson's Comparative Ratings of all 13 FCS Conferences.

Wilson SoCon Rank
Wilson National Rank
Team
W
L
Wilson Rating

Citadel

Chattanooga

Samford

Wofford

Mercer

Furman

FUBeAR SoCon Rank
FUBeAR National Rank
Team
W
L
FUBeAR Rating

>40
WCU
<671

>41
VMI
<670

>42
ETSU
<669

SoCon still has 5 Teams ranked in the Top 24, nationally! How many total Teams are in the Playoffs this year?

Wilson Conference Rank
Conference
Avg Rating

Missouri Valley Football Conference

Southern Conference

Big Sky Conference

Big South (w/o CCU)

Colonial Athletic Association

Ohio Valley Conference

Southland Conference

Patriot League

Ivy League

Northeast Conference

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

Pioneer Football League

Southwestern Athletic Conference

SoCon still ranked highly at #2, but yielded the #1 spot to the MVFC this week & the Patriot League overtook the Ivy League.
All other Conference Rankings remained the same from last week.

Last Week...4-1
* MY PICK: Mercer @ Wofford 26-24 / ACTUAL: AnkleChewers won 31-21 - Didn't know Mercer's #1 WR broke his foot in practice on Wed. putting a big damper on the Bear's game plan nor did I properly anticipate the Special Teams & Coverage miscues made by the Bears, On the other hand, I really didn't expect Mercer's D to shut down Woffy's running game quite as thoroughly as they did. So, on balance, I blew this pick. Rat(Dog)s!!
* MY PICK: Furman @ VMI 24-21 / ACTUAL: Paladins prevailed 24-10 - Got the game right and nailed the winner's points. If Cobb doesn't get knocked out in the 1st half, I believe the Roos would have a put a few more points on the board and made me look smarter. Oh well.
* MY PICK: ETSU @ The Citadel 52-0 / ACTUAL: Bellhops won 45-10 - Well, I think the score coulda been 52-0, but the BoysOfSamsonite wanted to keep more of their powder dry for the ALBullPups this week.
* MY PICK: Chattanooga @ WCU 42-13 / ACTUAL: Mocs won 38-25 - I've been saying the Catamounts are better than their record; I just didn't know when they were going to prove it. Not a bad showing against the 3-times-in-a-row...maybe 4-time SoCon Champs
* MY PICK: Samford @ Mississippi State 49-24 / ACTUAL: MSBullPups won 56-41 - Right pick - overestimated both Teams D's or underestimated their O's...not sure which

33-13-1 - .717 for the Season - Seems fairly decent

This Week

* Wofford @ Furman 1:30 PM - No doubt, the PorchYappers have A LOT riding on this game and FU has been down until recently...BUT...the 'Dins are resurgent and have found an offense with Hannon throwing (A LOT) and also running. Also, Woffy has, traditionally, not played very well in G'Vegas and the Terriers are coming off 2 VERY physical close games, while FU is coming off a bye week and 2 games that they pretty much controlled from kickoff until final whistle. FU has gotten more healthy and Woffy has gotten banged up. Heck, even the guy who blocked Mercer's Punt and scored the TD off the block is out this week (for a very noble reason - http://woffordterriers.com/news/2016/11/4/football-david-howerton-donates-bone-marrow.aspx) I'm going with the upset. Paladins win 24-16

* Samford @ The Citadel 2:00 PM - As I did last week, I've been pondering on Sammy's game all week. I was spooked from picking them last week because of their low point total vs. WCU. I guess they showed me that they CAN score points. BTW - If they only scored 30 on WCU, who fired their DC the following week, and they scored 41 on MissState, what does that say about MissState's DC's future? Anyway, back to the BIG matchup in the SoCon this week. Someone made me recall a crazy game I played in down in Charleston many years ago with a final score of 45-44 and the Bellhops were on the losing end of that one. So, as tribute to that forced recollection, I'm going to 'assign' 89 points to this game and go with the ALBulldogs 56-33

* VMI @ WCU 2:00 PM - Cats found their O last week vs. the Mocs and they find their D this week without their former DC and facing a Cobb-less group of Roo's without much else in their pouch. I see Adams, Newsome, and the Robinsons putting up BIG numbers this week. Catamounts lay waste to the Keydets as they take out a season's worth of frustration 63-10

* ETSU @ Mercer 3:00 PM - I've seen some big numbers predicted, but I don't see it. The Bucs want to avenge last year's 52-0 shelling of their MountainPirate Schooner, just as they did when they whipped Kennesaw to open the Season. Mercer has played 5 very physical games in a row (including their game with APSU). They are a banged up Team on Offense right now and they really don't have much depth remaining on that side of the ball. This contrasts with their Defense, which is using 20+ Players in a regular rotation. So, I see this game as a closer-than-expected Defensive battle, but the Bears, as has become their custom in 1-score games, pull it out in the end, 24-17.

ElCid
November 5th, 2016, 10:23 AM
* Samford @ The Citadel 2:00 PM - As I did last week, I've been pondering on Sammy's game all week. I was spooked from picking them last week because of their low point total vs. WCU. I guess they showed me that they CAN score points. BTW - If they only scored 30 on WCU, who fired their DC the following week, and they scored 41 on MissState, what does that say about MissState's DC's future? Anyway, back to the BIG matchup in the SoCon this week. Someone made me recall a crazy game I played in down in Charleston many years ago with a final score of 45-44 and the Bellhops were on the losing end of that one. So, as tribute to that forced recollection, I'm going to 'assign' 89 points to this game and go with the ALBulldogs 56-33

While I guess it is possible, I don't think there is any way that there are 89 points scored in this game. 49 maybe, but 89? No.

SU DOG
November 5th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Fifty-six points against a Citadel defense that is allowing only 16.0 points/game to SoCon opponents? Not imagined in my wildest dream. LOL

Milktruck74
November 5th, 2016, 10:50 AM
I see my fellow Mocs are all picking with the heart this week....I did too. But I just don't think Samford has enough in the tank to beat Citadel at home.

moc n tn1991
November 5th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I wanted to pick with my heart, but Wofford broke my heart a couple weeks ago, so I had to go with my head, The Citadel xbawlingx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 5th, 2016, 04:20 PM
The Bulldog Bowl headed to OT!

catamount man
November 5th, 2016, 04:36 PM
WCU 32 VMI 29

Considering we blew a 21-9 lead, I'll take it. Still undefeated vs VMI in Cullowhee. 12-0 all-time. GO CATS!!! BEAT FURMAN!!!

ElCid
November 5th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Absolutely one of the best performances I have ever seen my Bulldogs play. Down ten in the fourth with 6 minutes to play and found a way to win. Crowd had a hand in it as the 5 yard false start pushed them back a bit and their FG attempt was slowly coming over, but no good.

Great game played by two really good teams.

9-0 Baby!

catamount man
November 5th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Absolutely one of the best performances I have ever seen my Bulldogs play. Down ten in the fourth with 6 minutes to play and found a way to win. Crowd had a hand in it as the 5 yard false start pushed them back a bit and their FG attempt was slowly coming over, but no good.

9-0 Baby!

Happy for you bro! Hoping one day WCU will be in that position. GO CATS!!!

SU DOG
November 5th, 2016, 04:55 PM
IF Samford drops in the polls due to this, I will be totally PO'ed. Congrats to The Citadel. A really GOOD team, and seemingly also a very charmed team. And I do NOT mean that in a derogatory way at all. Championship teams just know how to win.

ElCid
November 5th, 2016, 05:00 PM
IF Samford drops in the polls due to this, I will be totally PO'ed. Congrats to The Citadel. A really GOOD team, and seemingly also a very charmed team. And I do NOT mean that in a derogatory way at all. Championship teams just know how to win.

No offense taken whatsoever. A wise man once said, it is better to be lucky than good. But we are good as well, so we get a bonus.xthumbsupx Wow, what a game. I still cannot digest it. I can tell you they will not drop in my poll (caveat, depending on what teams under you did, but Samford is for real). Another congrats on the good showing last week...Miss St put it to the Aggies today. Computers will give us all a boost now.

moc n tn1991
November 5th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Great comeback by the Citadel. Of course I was pulling for Samford, I just knew that somehow Citadel would pull it out. This IS your year, without a doubt.

Smitty
November 5th, 2016, 05:20 PM

Samford will drop in the polls because people will just see it as a loss instead of a quality loss.

citdog
November 5th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Great comeback by the Citadel. Of course I was pulling for Samford, I just knew that somehow Citadel would pull it out. This IS your year, without a doubt.

It's THE Citadel but it is alright if you just want to call us BACK TO BACK SOUTHERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS!

9-0

CID1990
November 5th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Samford will drop in the polls because people will just see it as a loss instead of a quality loss.

Sadly this is probably true. Losing to The Citadel in a close-fought game doesn't carry the same weight as losing in the same fashion to NDSU or EWU

yet

moc n tn1991
November 5th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Oh, I get it. THE is now 9 - 0. I didn't know there were other Citadels making it necessary. What is the history of having to use 'The Citadel.'

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 5th, 2016, 06:26 PM
No doubt Samford is a top-25 team. It's a good thing we don't play them this year because half our fan base's heads would explode if we lost to a team coached by Chris Hatcher.

longtimemocfan
November 5th, 2016, 06:59 PM

9-0 Baby!

Told you it could be a O.T game. Tried actually picking Samford to see if it would work, even though deep down the way you guy's play there it was going to be a tall order.

CID1990
November 5th, 2016, 08:32 PM
This might be the first of two games that Sammy plays in JHS this year