PDA

View Full Version : A&M-CC Football - It May Come

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2007, 06:15 AM
A&M-CC is among the non-football squads in the SLC giving a serious look at playing football. I'm not sure what will happen on this front, but I'm glad they are looking into it. The last AD I recall wanted their institution to hit 10,000 for enrollment. I'll update at the end of the month when an update should be available...

CORPUS CHRISTI - The Islanders football study should be in within the next couple of weeks. The Islanders are hoping it offers some insight to the feasability of adding football to the program.

One thing that is known, the Islanders would play their games in Buc stadium, at least inititally until they get the financial wherewithall to build a new facility. That could take some time, especially, if the sport isn't a financial bonanza. Islanders Athletic Director Brian Teter said he trusts the study will be thorough.

"They've done a real comprehensive job on it, and we're looking forward to seeing what it's going to be," Teter said. "They're not going to recommend, yes you should, no you shouldn't. I just think it's a fact finding mission that they have been on for the better part of six or seven months, and they're going to come up with a final analysis for us to look at. Then it will end up in the president's hands, and he'll take some time, before a decision's made."

There are three main things for which Teter and the President's Committee will be looking. Foremost, the cost, at least $4 million, or double the current athletic budget, also, the Title 9 factor - will they have to add another female sport? And the facilities, not just the stadium. The Islanders aren't under the gun on this. The Southland Conference has not issued an ultimatum

"It was not required that we add the sport of football to come into the Southland," Teter said. "Now, if we do I'm sure they would be very happy about it. It's very comprehensive. So, there's no urgency, there's no pressure. They really actually appreciate the situation and position we're in."

Now, Teter said Lamar and UTSA are also conducting studies right now. Teter has dealt with this study group before. He knows they do good work. Once again, he expects to get the study by the end of the month.

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5923098&nav=Bsmj

NoCoDanny
January 11th, 2007, 09:15 AM
So what's the scoop on Buc Stadium? I assume it's a local high school stadium. How far is it from campus and it's capacity?

txstatebobcat
January 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
With a decent sized market and no real competition for two hours around, I still say that the islanders would have almost immidiate success ala U of South Florida in terms of being able to bring in large crowds.

Sly Fox
January 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Buc Stadium is a decent high school stadium. Going by memory, it probably seats 6-8k. Nothing in Corpus is very far from each other. Its probably 15 minutes from the island campus.

gatadotcom
January 11th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Buc Stadium is a decent high school stadium. Going by memory, it probably seats 6-8k. Nothing in Corpus is very far from each other. Its probably 15 minutes from the island campus.

According to WorldStadiums.com the stadium seats 18,000. Here are photos: http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/texas/corpus_christi_buccaneer.shtml

Bison_Kent
January 11th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I hope the Islanders field a team. The Southland could go from the minimum number of teams to get an auto bid to one of the subdivision's largest in terms of teams.

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I hope the Islanders field a team. The Southland could go from the minimum number of teams to get an auto bid to one of the subdivision's largest in terms of teams.

Nothing wrong with that...

Lots of great players in Texas. Would help scheduling...would love if we could add atleast one more so we have four home and four away. Nine teams is very ideal...

slycat
January 12th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Nothing wrong with that...

Lots of great players in Texas. Would help scheduling...would love if we could add atleast one more so we have four home and four away. Nine teams is very ideal...

i dunno the more we add the more it would take away from our OCC. but then again maybe we would stop playing Div 2 schools. plus dont you think it would really start to dilute the talent in texas even more?

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2007, 10:29 AM
i dunno the more we add the more it would take away from our OCC. but then again maybe we would stop playing Div 2 schools. plus dont you think it would really start to dilute the talent in texas even more?

I'm not so sure...

Our OOC is pretty gruesome in the SLC. We got too many games against FBS teams and if the OOC grew another team, that'd probably mean we had a better chance at getting two teams in the playoffs due to the amount of Div I games they had a chance at winning...

Ideally, playing four home and four away in conference plus one FBS game, one Div II game (which seems customary in the SLC) and one FCS game. I like it...

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Can't wait for this puzzle piece to fall...

Islanders Notebook: 01.17.07
January 17, 2007
Football study due soon

The final decision might not be handed down for a while, but Texas A&M-Corpus Christi athletic director Brian Teter said Monday that he fully expects to have the school's football consulting study in hand within two weeks, and likely some time next week.

Teter said NACDA Consulting was finalizing its report, which included interviews and analysis on the feasibility of the Islanders fielding a football team.

The report will be a guide for the man with the final call on whether or not to tee it up - university president Flavius Killebrew. The consulting report will not make the decision, but rather present a mountain of stats and facts for Killebrew to review. A final decision will likely occur closer to spring.

http://www.caller.com/ccct/islanders/article/0,1641,CCCT_820_5285211,00.html

gokats85
January 18th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I hope TAMU-CC goes through with this. There's a ton of excellent talent in South Texas that gets overlooked.

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I hope TAMU-CC goes through with this. There's a ton of excellent talent in South Texas that gets overlooked.

I agree...

A&M-CC can really build a strong program right away. They'll be instant players in the SLC and FCS. Being a Div I program, the transition is not as bad and I think teams would love to travel down to Corpus Christi to play. Instant rivalry with Texas State - San Marcos...

Sly Fox
January 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Back in the day, Texas State was rivals with A&I. So this would certainly be a better matchup than the Javs.

As for th etalent level in South Texas, I assume you are including San Antonio. Otherwise its never produced a great deal of quality prospects.

slycat
January 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I agree...

A&M-CC can really build a strong program right away. They'll be instant players in the SLC and FCS. Being a Div I program, the transition is not as bad and I think teams would love to travel down to Corpus Christi to play. Instant rivalry with Texas State - San Marcos...

this would be the best part. we have to share the kats for now with their bitter rivals sfa. i would love to hate A&M-CC.

aggie6thman
January 19th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I saw CC play basketball a few years ago at a tourney we were both in. They had some great talent and I think they have a great basketball arena to play in. I think they would be a great addition to the FCS and to the SLC.

TexasTerror
January 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
this would be the best part. we have to share the kats for now with their bitter rivals sfa. i would love to hate A&M-CC.

We share the Jacks with their bitter rivals, NWST...

Wish we had pure rivals, but everyone in the SLC seems to have several...

'Cats have UTSA in many things, SHSU and even Nicholls in football...