PDA

View Full Version : Fresno Bee: NoCo Should Be BCS Champ

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2007, 06:08 AM
This is an odd story. Found it in the Greeley Tribue, courtesy of the Fresno Bee. I think it's more a knock on NoCo than it is anyone else...

Bears should be No. 1 in BCS
Wire Reports
January 11, 2007

If undefeated Boise State can't be champ, then it is time for the annual search for the real No. 1 team in America. The writers with votes have said Florida, but the Gators were not perfect, and so it is up for debate.

The trophy should go to the University of Northern Colorado.

"But wait," you might be saying, "aren't the Bears the I-AA team whose backup punter stabbed its starting punter in the leg and finished 1-10?"

First off, it's allegedly. The backup punter is charged with attempted first-degree murder, not convicted. But no, now that you mention it, they weren't perfect either.

They were winners, though, on Sept. 16, five days after the alleged stabbing, a game in which Northern Colorado was shut out in the second half, outgained 437 yards to 221, and still managed to beat Texas State 14-13. (In a strange twist, the eventual winning touchdown was scored on a blocked punt.)

The Texas State Bobcats, whom many of us in "the know" were calling "underrated," went on to beat Sam Houston State, which in turn beat Missouri State, which beat Western Illinois, which beat Northern Iowa, which beat the South Dakota State Jackrabbits.

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20070111/SPORTS/101110090

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Must register. Hate the Greeley Tribune. :mad:

Model Citizen
January 11th, 2007, 08:10 AM
'Would've been more fun to talk about Division III Wisconsin-La Crosse (beat South Dakota State...).

NoCoDanny
January 11th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Basically it breaks down like this:

UNC beat
Texas State who beat
Sam Houston State who beat
Missouri State who beat
Western Illinois who beat
Northern Iowa who beat
South Dakota State who beat
UC-Davis who beat
Sacramento State who beat
Eastern Washington who beat
Montana State who beat
Colorado who beat
Iowa State who beat
Missouri who beat
Mississippi who beat
Vanderbilt who beat
Georgia who beat
Auburn who beat
Florida

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Basically it breaks down like this:

UNC beat
Texas State who beat
Sam Houston State who beat
Missouri State who beat
Western Illinois who beat
Northern Iowa who beat
South Dakota State who beat
UC-Davis who beat
Sacramento State who beat
Eastern Washington who beat
Montana State who beat
Colorado who beat
Iowa State who beat
Missouri who beat
Mississippi who beat
Vanderbilt who beat
Georgia who beat
Auburn who beat
Florida
I acutally enjoy those strings, but I ususally limit them to teams the original team didn't lose to. UNC lost to five of the teams in the string which kills it for me. :twocents:

Mr. C
January 11th, 2007, 10:46 AM
My good, old hometown paper, The Fresno Bee, isn't exactly known for its wonderful sports columnists — or great journalism, for that matter. This column strikes me as being a bit of the ridiculous side. You can do similar threads with every team around, unless it is a winless squad like Duke. If you win even one game, you can make this work.

MplsBison
January 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I think the point of the column is to be ridiculous.

Or did you actually think he was making a case for UNC?

JDC325
January 11th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Must register. Hate the Greeley Tribune. :mad:

I feel the same way. Try this

http://www.bugmenot.com/

been using it for awhil when linking to the AJC and Savannah paper.

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I feel the same way. Try this

http://www.bugmenot.com/

been using it for awhil when linking to the AJC and Savannah paper.
Interesting. Thanks, I will check it out. :thumbsup:

saccat
January 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Actually App. state would be the National champs. because they beat MSU who beat Colorado who beat...........who beat Florida

Mr. C
January 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I think the point of the column is to be ridiculous.

Or did you actually think he was making a case for UNC?
The Troll comes out of his hole yet again. No, I didn't think he was being serious. :bang: xidiotx :rotateh: :nonono2:

It is a DUMB column, period. This newspaper has dumb columns like this all of the time. It was obviously a very slow news day for this guy to write something so moronic.

GRZZ
January 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Actually App. state would be the National champs. because they beat MSU who beat Colorado who beat...........who beat Florida

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

JALMOND
January 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Too many branches on this tree. It could even stretch into DII and DIII.