PDA

View Full Version : AFCA honors Jerry Moore again

Mr. C
January 10th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Jerry Moore won his second consecutive AFCA national coach of the year award on Wednesday night. The press release is below:

Moore Wins Second-Straight AFCA National Coach of the Year Award

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - For the second-straight season, Appalachian State University's Jerry Moore has been named the Ameri-
can Football Coaches' Association (AFCA) Division I-AA Coach of the Year. He was honored on Wednesday evening at the AFCA
Coach of the Year Banquet in San Antonio.

In his 18th year at Appalachian, Moore led the Mountaineers to a school-record 14 victories and their second-straight NCAA Divi-
sion I Football Championship Series (FCS - formerly Division I-AA) national title. Following a hard-fought 23-10 setback in the
season opener at NC State, Moore's Apps ran off 14-straight wins by an average margin of 22.6 points, capped by a 28-17 triumph
over No. 3 Massachusetts in the 2006 NCAA Division I Football Championship in Chattanooga, Tenn. Six of ASU's 14 victories
came versus nationally ranked competition.

In perhaps his finest performance in 25 seasons on the sidelines as a head coach, Moore's troops swept the Southern Conference's
postseason awards (Offensive Player of the Year Kevin Richardson, Defensive Player of the Year Marques Murrell, Jacobs Block-
ing Trophy recipient Kerry Brown and Freshman of the Year Armanti Edwards), despite being led by a true freshman at quar-
terback in Edwards, who went 13-0 as a starter and became just the second freshman and fifth player overall in Division I history
to amass 2,000 passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards in a season. The postseason accolades also included eight all-Americans
and 19 all-conference selections, both ASU records.

The plaudits also rolled in for Moore, who swept the national Coach of the Year awards with recognition from the AFCA, The
Sports Network (Eddie Robinson Award) and College Sporting News. Additionally, Moore was named the SoCon Coach of the Year
for a record fifth time and the AFCA Region 2 Coach of the Year for the fourth time.

In 18 seasons at Appalachian, Moore has compiled a 154-68 record, making him the winningest coach in SoCon history. In 25
years as a head coach, which includes stints at Texas Tech (1981-85) and North Texas (1979-80), he is 181-116-2.

The other AFCA Coach of the Year recipients are Wake Forest's Jim Grobe (Division I-A), Grand Valley State's Chuck Martin (Divi-
sion II), Mount Union's Larry Kehres (Division III) and Sioux Falls' Kalen DeBoer (NAIA). The winners are selected by a vote of
the active AFCA members (coaches at four-year schools). The AFCA has named a Coach of the Year since 1935.

appfan2008
January 10th, 2007, 10:59 PM
That is awesome for coach!
GO JERRY!

youwouldno
January 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM
What's great about Moore, aside from his coaching of course, is that he is living proof of how stupid many App fans are, well at least of the internet-posting variety.

SoCon48
January 11th, 2007, 12:37 AM
wth is that supposed to mean?

NC Mountaineer
January 11th, 2007, 12:52 AM
yeah, really

Appaholic
January 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM
What's great about Moore, aside from his coaching of course, is that he is living proof of how stupid many App fans are, well at least of the internet-posting variety.

Explanation, please? :confused:

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Trollin', trollin', trollin' on a message board. I said, trollin', trollin', trollin' on a message board. Doot, doot, doot, doot, Doot, doot, doot ,doot....

OL FU
January 11th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Congratulations to Coach Moore.
I admire Coach Moore. Always have.

But come on. Two is enough. Let's give someone else a chance:o :p :)

youwouldno
January 11th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Oh please. App fans all wanted Moore out of there. They are lucky the administration had more wisdom.