PDA

View Full Version : Fordham to Host Eastern Washington in the Bronx Next Season

Fordhamanhattan
October 28th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Two of the best FCS running backs to face each other. Fordham has a challenging start to next season with Army in the first game and EWU in the third!

crusader11
October 28th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Wow, good for Fordham! I assume there's a return game to EWU?

Daytripper
October 28th, 2016, 02:33 PM
THAT is a long road trip.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2016, 02:39 PM
That's awesome!! Great OOC matchup!! So much more interesting than a bland FBS game imo...

Lehigh needs to pull one of these off.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2016, 02:40 PM
I'd love to be making that trip. I love most of them though. Very cool match up and like to see some other teams like Fordham setting a standard for other teams on the E Coast. Hope this signals good things to come.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2016, 02:41 PM
That's awesome!! Great OOC matchup!! So much more interesting than a bland FBS game imo...

Yep, that is a team that I was thinking of when making my last comment. Would be very good to see.

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2016, 02:42 PM
The teams on the East Coast don't need to do this... Blah blah blah rivals... Historic blah blah blah. xlolx

TheRevSFA
October 28th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I would love for SFA to do some home and homes with east coast schools...

Daytripper
October 28th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I want it. They want it. Home and Home. SHSU v. Delaware.

Sounds like the their AD has the cojones to do it.

RichH2
October 28th, 2016, 03:12 PM
A real coup. Congrats. Hell of an OOC schedule. A bit envious. LU not likely to follow the same path. As of now , appears we are scheduling bo further south than Va and no further west than Bucknell.. While I understand the logic of Coen and Sterrett, cant help but wish for that challenge once in a while.

Gangtackle11
October 28th, 2016, 03:18 PM
A real coup. Congrats. Hell of an OOC schedule. A bit envious. LU not likely to follow the same path. As of now , appears we are scheduling bo further south than Va and no further west than Bucknell.. While I understand the logic of Coen and Sterrett, cant help but wish for that challenge once in a while.

We all welcome the cross rivals, but the reality is they don't make sense for most Eastern FCS teams.

Good to see, but an aberration more than the norm currently.

Where is Fordham playing this game? They only have bleachers on 1 side.

Gangtackle11
October 28th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Here is the press release:

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2016/10/28/fordham-football-to-host-eastern-washington-in-2017.aspx

dewey
October 28th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Two of the best FCS running backs to face each other. Fordham has a challenging start to next season with Army in the first game and EWU in the third!

Chase Edmonds from Fordham is one of the best but who is the other runningback?

Dewey

dewey
October 28th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Wow, good for Fordham! I assume there's a return game to EWU?

According to the EWU press release this is a single game.

http://goeags.com/news/2016/10/28/football-eagles-to-play-at-fordham-on-sept-16-2017.aspx

As part of scheduling the one-game series versus the Rams, Eastern's home game versus North Dakota State will be moved to Sept. 9 from Sept. 16. Kickoff has been tentatively set for 10 a.m. Pacific time at Fordham, and the game versus NDSU at "The Inferno" at Roos Field in Cheney, Wash., will be scheduled for 1 p.m. Pacific.

Dewey

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2016, 04:25 PM

I'm sure you would be fine with another series with New Hampshire. That was a good one.

ngineer
October 28th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Great matchup, and I would hope EWU is making arrangements to come east early so the kids get a chance to "take in" NYC. A "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity for most of them, I would think. Lehigh has made efforts in the past to go beyond our northeast corner, but it takes some luck (i.e. open dates aligning), and financial arrangements that make sense as well. There were feelers several years ago to try and play El Cid when Higgins was still there, and as well as FAMU and Bethune because of a good number of alums in FL as well as a growing recruiting area. Just never worked out. Due to budgets, I don't think this can happen every year, but it would be nice every 3 years or so to this.

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I would love for SFA to do some home and homes with east coast schools...

Come on up. Good seats still available...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nOllzLk0DOk/UuOoUmUkufI/AAAAAAAAD6g/l3Fzl9Wgu-k/s1600/Multi-purposeSportsFieldPainted2.jpg

TheValleyRaider
October 28th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Nice get for Fordham

As ngineer pointed out, this is definitely an attractive trip for a WC school. Easy trip into NYC, get a chance to see the sights. Good for Fordham and EWU for an interesting cross-country matchup

POD Knows
October 28th, 2016, 04:44 PM

Yea, you should play somebody, so you can get an early season ass kicking

Lehigh'98
October 28th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Yea, you should play somebody, so you can get an early season ass kicking

Monmouth took care of that for us this year.

Lehigh doesn't seem interested in challenging itself with OOC matchups against unfamiliar teams it seems. Had a chance to grab an extra game against Stony Brook recently in week 1 a couple years ago and didn't accept.

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Chase Edmonds from Fordham is one of the best but who is the other runningback?

Dewey

That's what I was wondering. No EWU running back is even averaging 30 ypg.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2016, 04:58 PM

Lehigh doesn't seem interested in challenging itself with OOC matchups against unfamiliar teams it seems. Had a chance to grab an extra game against Stony Brook recently in week 1 a couple years ago and didn't accept.

Lehigh plays quality OOC schedules but the opponents are generally the same ones like you said. There's definitely a comfort level with Villanova and UNH. JMU was a nice home and home and I wouldn't mind seeing them come back. I just want one or two MVFC teams to come into Goodman.

POD Knows
October 28th, 2016, 05:19 PM
I

I would like to have NDSU do a home and home with Lehigh. I like that part of the country.

caribbeanhen
October 28th, 2016, 05:23 PM
The teams on the East Coast don't need to do this... Blah blah blah rivals... Historic blah blah blah. xlolx

don't put me in that camp, this is exactly what FCS needs!

Gangtackle11
October 28th, 2016, 05:38 PM
don't put me in that camp, this is exactly what FCS needs!
Don't disagree that it's great that it's happening, but until you see this in volume it's
only a couple of 1 offs. It's a start.

bonarae
October 28th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Congratulations to the two schools! I'm still wishing for a day when the Ivies are kind enough to schedule scholarship opponents west of the Alleghenies and south of the Potomac...

TheValleyRaider
October 28th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Don't disagree that it's great that it's happening, but until you see this in volume it's
only a couple of 1 offs. It's a start.

I doubt you'll ever see these kinds of match-ups in bulk. The money, outside of a handful of cases, just isn't there for a level of football that is theoretically about "cost-containment"

Heck, this is apparently a one-off, meaning Fordham isn't even making the return trip out west

Not that I wouldn't mind Colgate making a few trips to some SLC schools, especially now that I live in Houston. Why not do a little recruiting in Texas and Louisiana? :D

Schism55
October 28th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Congrats to both schools and their fans, well done!
Props to Fordham for having some balls when most of their east coast bretheren clearly do not.

Gangtackle11
October 28th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Props to Fordham for having some balls when most of their east coast bretheren clearly do not.

Another brain surgeon from the other side of the Mississippi....smh.

Most eastern schools would welcome you big bad ugly Western FCS schools. Didn't read about a return trip here. Little cost hosting them.

Wonder if the lure of NYC had anything to do with this matchup? Fordham is in the Bronx if you guys out west weren't aware.

Good try though Doc.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2016, 07:49 PM
I

I would like to have NDSU do a home and home with Lehigh. I like that part of the country.

I would love to see it! With Wentz playing in Philly, NDSU now has legit name recognition in Eastern PA. Lehigh also hosted the Eagle's training camp for 15+ years.

I have no idea what Lehigh's schedule looks like next year but I'd love to see a big time non-CAA FCS opponent. Regardless of what happens tomorrow the Mountain Hawks should enter the season in the Top 15. They'll have the firepower to roll from the start....

dewey
October 28th, 2016, 07:53 PM

How does Fordham have "balls"? They are hosting EWU for a single game with no return game.

I would imagine any east coast team would be more than happy to host any MVFC or Big Sky team for a single game.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2016, 08:01 PM
How does Fordham have "balls"? They are hosting EWU for a single game with no return game.

I would imagine any east coast team would be more than happy to host any MVFC or Big Sky team for a single game.

Dewey

Amen! Fordham got a sweet deal!!

It's not like EWU will be playing in Yankee Stadium. Rose Hill is my favorite campus in the PL though. I love Fordham as a school...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci2Mp_bWEAEiNAI.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2016, 08:55 PM
First, congrats to the Rams. This is going to be a fantastic game highlighting some great FCS programs!

Second, Fordham has quietly been selling out their stadium during the regular season. They can only seat 10K, but they will sell this game out for sure.

melloware13
October 28th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Can Fordham put temporary seating up on the baseball side if their demand warrants it?

Go...gate
October 28th, 2016, 10:36 PM
I doubt you'll ever see these kinds of match-ups in bulk. The money, outside of a handful of cases, just isn't there for a level of football that is theoretically about "cost-containment"

Heck, this is apparently a one-off, meaning Fordham isn't even making the return trip out west

Not that I wouldn't mind Colgate making a few trips to some SLC schools, especially now that I live in Houston. Why not do a little recruiting in Texas and Louisiana? :D

Coastal Carolina never gave us a return game after we beat them down there in '08. Then again, that was Dave Roach's watch, and Colgate's OOC scheduling went way downhill.

I wonder if we will be able to get South Dakota to give us a game in Hamilton, since we went there not that long ago. On the other hand, Furman has no trouble with home-and-home match-ups.

TheValleyRaider
October 28th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Coastal Carolina never gave us a return game after we beat them down there in '08. Then again, that was Dave Roach's watch, and Colgate's OOC scheduling went way downhill.

I wonder if we will be able to get South Dakota to give us a game in Hamilton, since we went there not that long ago. On the other hand, Furman has no trouble with home-and-home match-ups.

As I recall, both the CCU and USD games were late additions, filling in openings in the schedule. Return trips were never really on the table.

I am looking forward to another series against Furman. As long as the play on the field doesn't go the same way as the last one...

ngineer
October 28th, 2016, 11:17 PM

It's not like EWU will be playing in Yankee Stadium. Rose Hill is my favorite campus in the PL though. I love Fordham as a school...

Has Fordham added some endzone seats at the scoreboard end of the field?? Capacity was previously listed at 7,500.

dudeitsaid
October 28th, 2016, 11:18 PM
That's what I was wondering. No EWU running back is even averaging 30 ypg.

He can see the future...that Antoine Custer Jr. is going to be a force next year.xthumbsupx He is playing as a true freshman this year, and has done some remarkable things on special teams, a couple of runs, and a circus catch that should've been a SportsCenter top 10. He is on the cusp of breaking out.

But I was wondering the same about his comment, cause for now, we don't have anybody is running amok on our opponents.

dudeitsaid
October 28th, 2016, 11:23 PM
According to the EWU press release this is a single game.

http://goeags.com/news/2016/10/28/football-eagles-to-play-at-fordham-on-sept-16-2017.aspx

As part of scheduling the one-game series versus the Rams, Eastern's home game versus North Dakota State will be moved to Sept. 9 from Sept. 16. Kickoff has been tentatively set for 10 a.m. Pacific time at Fordham, and the game versus NDSU at "The Inferno" at Roos Field in Cheney, Wash., will be scheduled for 1 p.m. Pacific.

Dewey

That's going to make some fans very unhappy. The lack of OOC return games to Cheney is a bit of a sore spot. Not sure why this is a one off, unless there just really wasn't any other way to fill that open slot next year. Can't imagine that with our pedigree and name recognition in the FCS world that it should be very hard for us to set up H&H's more frequently.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2016, 11:39 PM
That's going to make some fans very unhappy. The lack of OOC return games to Cheney is a bit of a sore spot. Not sure why this is a one off, unless there just really wasn't any other way to fill that open slot next year. Can't imagine that with our pedigree and name recognition in the FCS world that it should be very hard for us to set up H&H's more frequently.

Baldwin must really have wanted to play in NYC! This will be a cool trip for EWU. The Big Apple is like no city in the country. And driving to Fordham's campus is like no other drive in FCS, lol. It's truly the Bronx.

Some of the EWU fans don't have a lot of respect for Fordham and the PL. Based on the Rams playoff performances I understand that. However, Fordham returns quite a bit next year and they're brutally tough to beat at home....

dudeitsaid
October 28th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Baldwin must really have wanted to play in NYC! This will be a cool trip for EWU. The Big Apple is like no city in the country. And driving to Fordham's campus is like no other drive in FCS, lol. It's truly the Bronx.

I think that may certainly have played a part. Sometimes we forget to consider what might be important to the players in scheduling, and a chance to go to NYC should certainly be an exciting opportunity. Having been there once myself, I've wanted to return ever since. It is an incredible place with more to see and do then they will have time for. Hopefully they get to experience some of it.

UNHWildcat18
October 29th, 2016, 12:00 AM
First, congrats to the Rams. This is going to be a fantastic game highlighting some great FCS programs!

Second, Fordham has quietly been selling out their stadium during the regular season. They can only seat 10K, but they will sell this game out for sure.

10k!?? What 4500 seats and 5500 standing room only?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2016, 12:05 AM
10k!?? What 4500 seats and 5500 standing room only?

xlolx

I don't think JCF's capacity is more than 7,200 or so. They had to of lost some seats when they put the chairbacks in between the 40s.

It's honestly not a bad place to see a game. It's unique and fits the environment imo. The highrises in background and hustle and bustle on the streets outside of the stadium make up for not having seats across from you.

CHIP72
October 29th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Fordham will probably win by forfeit after the EWU team gets lost in NYC subway system or inadvertently ends up in New Haven after missing their stop on Metro-North.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ram
October 29th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Fordham will probably win by forfeit after the EWU team gets lost in NYC subway system or inadvertently ends up in New Haven after missing their stop on Metro-North.

don't give away the game plan!

CHIP72
October 29th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Semi-related side note - some southern schools should try to schedule games at Columbia so they can go spit on Grant's Tomb (which is within easy walking distance of Columbia's campus).

tomq04
October 29th, 2016, 08:48 AM
The fact it isn't a home & home kind of stinks, but on the flip side it is a good opportunity for our players. Could have made more sense to try and shift it to the opening game of the season to give the players extra days before the game, but maybe that isn't feasible either.

Gangtackle11
October 29th, 2016, 08:57 AM
80 years ago, Fordham was a national power including the 7 blocks of Granite that included the legendary coach Vince Lombardi. They regularly played major conference teams from all over the country.

They often played to sellout crowds in the Polo Grounds & Yankee Stadium.

dgtw
October 29th, 2016, 09:24 AM
The fact it isn't a home & home kind of stinks, but on the flip side it is a good opportunity for our players. Could have made more sense to try and shift it to the opening game of the season to give the players extra days before the game, but maybe that isn't feasible either.

With a trip like this, I would try to lobby to have it moved to week zero.

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2016, 09:35 AM
With a trip like this, I would try to lobby to have it moved to week zero.

Nah, plenty of bigger games. Richmond-SHSU right off the top.

kdinva
October 29th, 2016, 10:35 AM
- some southern schools should try to schedule games at Columbia so they can go spit on Grant's Tomb (which is within easy walking distance of Columbia's campus).

Paging CitDog........ :)

CHIP72
October 29th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Paging CitDog........ :)

I had CitDog in mind when I made my post. 😀

dewey
October 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Nah, plenty of bigger games. Richmond-SHSU right off the top.

Agreed. Richmond SHSU is a big game but also Eastern Washington NDSU on that God awful red field. I would think how the rest of this season ends impacts which game is the FCS kickoff.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2016, 09:27 AM
E Washington better not try to drive across the G Washington....

CHIP72
October 30th, 2016, 09:59 AM
E Washington better not try to drive across the G Washington....

Especially if they cross Chris Christie...

kalm
October 30th, 2016, 10:07 AM

Yeah...it's been a less than stellar reaction on the home board. xlolx

Cool trip for the team but when you come off of Oregon, @ UNI, and MSU followed by Wazzu, @ NDSU, and UNI it would be nice to have a home game breather after Texas Tech and NDSU next year....or at least one the following year in return.

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2016, 10:08 AM

Was in the neighborhood a few months ago, had to get out of Puerto Rico to get some good Puerto Rican food.... haha, delicious ... anyone want to know the name of this little sidewalk blue collar latino establishment? I would love to see some of our North Dak state fans in the neighborhood, they would be totally freaked out... lol

Bisonator
October 30th, 2016, 10:15 AM
How much is EWU getting for this game?

ngineer
October 30th, 2016, 12:48 PM
How much is EWU getting for this game?

Probably Guest Passes to the Bronx Zoo! (Just across the highway from the the campus).

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Was in the neighborhood a few months ago, had to get out of Puerto Rico to get some good Puerto Rican food.... haha, delicious ... anyone want to know the name of this little sidewalk blue collar latino establishment? I would love to see some of our North Dak state fans in the neighborhood, they would be totally freaked out... lol

When in the Bronx eat like Caribbean!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23783&stc=1

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Rumor has it that this is a part of the Fordham guarantee for Eastern Washington:

https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/pMjgcGUBM6OH9srtHxaGBA/o.jpg

dudeitsaid
October 30th, 2016, 08:09 PM
When in the Bronx eat like Caribbean!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23783&stc=1
I see at least 7 food safety violations there...

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2016, 08:13 PM

maybe, but that's what the Lime is for....

CHIP72
October 30th, 2016, 09:25 PM

Why do you think a lot of casual food on the East Coast tastes so good?

kalm
October 31st, 2016, 06:36 AM
Rumor has it that this is a part of the Fordham guarantee for Eastern Washington:

If we wanted great seafood we'd play the UW again. Fantastic mussels and clams, the Puget Sound squid fishing is prime in the fall, and the crab is superior.

Fordham
October 31st, 2016, 07:52 AM
If we wanted great seafood we'd play the UW again. Fantastic mussels and clams, the Puget Sound squid fishing is prime in the fall, and the crab is superior.
no doubt butI think LFN is referencing your ability to get good ol' mafia style Italian food as Little Italy is next to our campus. Once you guys give us an idea of when you're coming out and what you're looking to do we can put together some good recommendations for both NYC in general as well as for game day.

kalm
October 31st, 2016, 07:58 AM
no doubt butI think LFN is referencing your ability to get good ol' mafia style Italian food as Little Italy is next to our campus. Once you guys give us an idea of when you're coming out and what you're looking to do we can put together some good recommendations for both NYC in general as well as for game day.

Ahhh...gotcha. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2016, 08:44 AM

As Fordham said, Puget Sound seafood is awesome (I've had it many times, including mussels and clams hand-plucked by me from the Sound) but so is Little Italy Zuppa Di Fruti Di Mare from the Bronx. xthumbsupx

Daytripper
October 31st, 2016, 09:08 AM
This is why Richmond and North Dakota are travelling south in the next couple of years:

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/we-asked-for-your-favorite-underdog-texas-bbq-joints-and-you-answered-2.jpg?quality=85&strip=info

https://img.grouponcdn.com/deal/oe45vuvNeMNNKSEZXRM5/kk-700x420/v1/c700x420.jpg

dudeitsaid
October 31st, 2016, 01:09 PM
As Fordham said, Puget Sound seafood is awesome (I've had it many times, including mussels and clams hand-plucked by me from the Sound) but so is Little Italy Zuppa Di Fruti Di Mare from the Bronx. xthumbsupx

Man...I'm getting hungry all ready!

The Boogie Down
November 4th, 2016, 07:05 PM

At the risk of sounding like a provincial New Yawka,,, I'm sorry but NOTHING beats Frutti di Mare! Maybe a simple dish of scungilli with a spicy marinara over rock-hard pepper friselle biscuits if you wanna just get right to it, but if we're gonna class it up? Then list starts and ends with frutti di mare!

And as my fellow alum has already said above, please reach out for any dining suggestions once the date is set. From Italian, to Caribbean, to simply random NYC stuff in general, just say the word. Aside from the eats, I promise a "different" experience for any EWU fans visiting the biggest non-college football town in America :)

The Boogie Down
November 4th, 2016, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the nice words and the photo showing our friends at EWU what to expect.

xlolx

I don't think JCF's capacity is more than 7,200 or so. They had to of lost some seats when they put the chairbacks in between the 40s.

It's honestly not a bad place to see a game. It's unique and fits the environment imo. The highrises in background and hustle and bustle on the streets outside of the stadium make up for not having seats across from you.

Aside from some typos I've caught over the decades (listing capacity at 7,500), JCF has always been listed at 7,000 seats. Once, while extremely bored and during an extremely low turnout, I counted the amount of seats in a row. Then I counted the rows, got a rough estimate of the section, multiplied it by the other sections and figured it actually seats about 6,500.

Even with the new chairbacks between the 40s it's still about the same since those seats were always wider and those sections always contained fewer rows.

As seen in the photo above, about 200/300 temp seats have been added to the end zone on the left so I'm guessing it's closer to the stated 7,000 seats now. OTOH, aside from the chairbacks, it's all bleacher seating so the school can squeeze in as many as deemed legally safe. Throw in the baseball bleachers (not pictured above) and standing room area on the baseball diamond itself and that explains how we can get 8,500 to a venue that probably only has 6,700 assigned seats.

So yeah, unique (especially if watching from the baseball bleachers) indeed. Far from the best venue but okay enough to catch a game. Plus there's that food thing nearby. Not to mention Grand Central Station being just 2 stops away on the Metro North commuter rail. Already looking forward!

Go...gate
November 4th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Especially if they cross Chris Christie...
Christie is a Delaware grad!!

Go...gate
November 4th, 2016, 08:01 PM

Arthur Avenue has some of the best Italian restaurants you will ever find.

The Pud
November 4th, 2016, 08:25 PM
At the risk of sounding like a provincial New Yawka,,, I'm sorry but NOTHING beats Frutti di Mare! Maybe a simple dish of scungilli with a spicy marinara over rock-hard pepper friselle biscuits if you wanna just get right to it, but if we're gonna class it up? Then list starts and ends with frutti di mare!

And as my fellow alum has already said above, please reach out for any dining suggestions once the date is set. From Italian, to Caribbean, to simply random NYC stuff in general, just say the word. Aside from the eats, I promise a "different" experience for any EWU fans visiting the biggest non-college football town in America :)

I love me some Frutti di Mare! Whenever I am in Little Italy I go to Da Nico's for mines!

NY Crusader 2010
November 4th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Arthur Avenue has some of the best Italian restaurants you will ever find.

Arthur Avenue is 10x better than Little Italy in Manhattan.

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2016, 10:49 PM

Little Italy in Manhatten is worlds worst tourist trap... stay away....

Go...gate
November 4th, 2016, 11:30 PM

Many say that Arthur Avenue IS the real Little Italy. A trip to Rose Hill is fun - beautiful campus, fine football and a good post-game repast!

Gate83
November 5th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Many say that Arthur Avenue IS the real Little Italy. A trip to Rose Hill is fun - beautiful campus, fine football and a good post-game repast!

Looking forward to my trip there... today! Beautiful day for the game, reservation at Pasquale Rigoletto's afterwards. Too bad the game's for 2nd place in the PL, otherwise couldn't be much better...

The Boogie Down
November 17th, 2016, 08:51 AM
80 years ago, Fordham was a national power including the 7 blocks of Granite that included the legendary coach Vince Lombardi. They regularly played major conference teams from all over the country.

They often played to sellout crowds in the Polo Grounds & Yankee Stadium.

Not quite a sellout but 21,000+ for our first game @ The Stadium since 1946 was pretty sweet. Would be cool if we can get some more "big" games (like Eastern Washington) there going forward. Unfortunately, Eastern Washington has to be on-campus because the Yankees won't allow for football on their diamond until the baseball season is over. Still, in future years Fordham needs to be back in The Stadium on an annual basis. From the crowd, to the food/drink options, to obvious things like the setting as well as seats/scoreboard/PA system, to post-gaming at Stan's which is an old school sports bar to Billy's which is a night club, the entire experience was as different from Jack Coffey Field as a Fordham game can get.

We'll never get back to where we were in the 1930s and early '40s, but late season Yankee Stadium games against big FCS opponents (like Eastern Washington/ND State) or small FBS opponents (like Army/Temple) would be a nice throwback to those Glory Years.

Unfortunately, some of my photo files were too large to upload but here's some smaller ones from last Saturday night:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23883&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23880&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23881&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23882&stc=1

WeAreThePride
November 17th, 2016, 01:01 PM
This game is relevant to my interests.