PDA

View Full Version : What is the best state in USA for FCS football??? South Carolina!

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 05:37 PM
A friend was talking about how the state of Alabama dominates FBS football right now and how Florida used to. Well what about FCS?? What is the best state in America for FCS football and why?

I nominate South Carolina. Here's why: Diversity of atmospheres and success. The teams in alphabetical order...

Citadel: Military environment in a beautiful city. Very unique experience. Great stadium. Currently a top 10 team. Has wins over SEC teams 3x in past couple decades. Many NFL alumni.

Charleston Southern: Newish program. Currently top 10 team. Christian school. Great city to be in. Along with Citadel they offer a great weekend road trip for a game because of that city by the beach.

Coastal Carolina: Current top 15 team. Chicken mascot on TEAL TURF haha. And Myrtle Beach...I mean..enough said. Many NFL alumni...some big names too w Mike Tolbert, Josh Norman, Jerome Simpson, etc. If that's not enough Google "be a dog David Bennett".

Furman: National Champion winner back in the 80s. Gorgeous campus in beautiful Greenville area. Long time SoCon power.

Presbyterian: OK so they were a really good D2 program and are fairly new to FCS. Haven't done much since. Small rural town. Nothing to say EXCEPT....their nickname. The "Blue Hose". Yes. Blue Hose. I went to a PC vs GWU game once and heard the GWU team in pregame break their huddle on "Beat the Slutty Smurfs" on 3. Priceless.

SC State: Historically black college. Has LOTS of alumni who played in the NFL...including Hall of Fame member Deacon Jones. If you've never been to a game at "State"...go!! The tailgate food is incredible and their marching band is the best in the South.

Wofford: Not been D1 for all that long...but quickly became a SoCon contender, won a few and has some playoff success. Smallest D1 school in America. Also home to the NFLs Panthers training camp.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 27th, 2016, 05:43 PM
North Dakota

/end thread

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 06:08 PM
North Dakota

/end thread

Best state not best team. They're a 1 team state basically with UND being pretty solid too. One could easily argue Virginia is a better overall FCS state. But yes NDSU is clearly the best program right now.

UNHWildcat18
October 27th, 2016, 06:09 PM
I predict someone posting "furman" followed by another word beginning with "s"

Anyways, this thread made me yawn. Alaska is the answer

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 06:14 PM
I predict someone posting "furman" followed by another word beginning with "s"

Anyways, this thread made me yawn. Alaska is the answer

Haha. It's Thursday man. Just trying to spark some convo before Saturday.

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Cause there hasn't been much along the lines of argument going on right now, obvious time for trolling....

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Cause there hasn't been much along the lines of argument going on right now, obvious time for trolling....

Just a discussion. Not a troll attempt. What's your opinion on it?

Sitting Bull
October 27th, 2016, 06:42 PM
I'll put Virginia up for consideration.

Three programs with a deep history and tradition that goes back to major college football: W&M, Richmond and VMI.

Two newer programs which already compete for national championships and rank among the top ten in FCS attendance: JMU and Liberty.

Strong MEAC competitors: Hampton and Norfolk State.

College football - and all of the above - get good press in Virginia. The FCS group also plays annual and competitive games against their FBS rivals, UVA and Tech (sorry, not counting ODU) and win with some regularity; W&M and UR over UVA - JMU over Tech.

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Don't really have one. I look at FCS football as teams and conferences more than states. And its one of the reasons I appreciate FCS football way more than FBS. You have unique conferences like the Patriot League and the SoCon that all have their own culture to them much moreso than in FBS.

grizband
October 27th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Are we taking historical songs, including teams who no longer play FCS? Or only current FCS teams?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Pennsylvania:

Villanova
Lehigh
Lafayette
St. Francis (Pa.)
Duquesne
Bucknell
Penn
Robert Morris

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 07:03 PM
I'll put Virginia up for consideration.

Three programs with a deep history and tradition that goes back to major college football: W&M, Richmond and VMI.

Two newer programs which already compete for national championships and rank among the top ten in FCS attendance: JMU and Liberty.

Strong MEAC competitors: Hampton and Norfolk State.

College football - and all of the above - get good press in Virginia. The FCS group also plays annual and competitive games against their FBS rivals, UVA and Tech (sorry, not counting ODU) and win with some regularity; W&M and UR over UVA - JMU over Tech.

Now that's a good response. Yes. Virginia has a very diverse group of FCS as well as several with a lot of recent success at the highest FCS levels.

JSUSoutherner
October 27th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Pennsylvania:

Villanova
Lehigh
Lafayette
St. Francis (Pa.)
Duquesne
Bucknell
Penn
Robert Morris
I thought the question was best not most?

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Are we taking historical songs, including teams who no longer play FCS? Or only current FCS teams?

Historical is fine but only teams who have been FCS within the last 40 years.

IBleedYellow
October 27th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Historical is fine but only teams who have been FCS within the last 40 years.
Umm.

Guys. Should we tell him?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 07:11 PM

Correct.

Should've clarified criteria:
- Success on field
- Diversity of gameday experiences at stadium (yes will need several teams)
- Quality of nearby stuff to see/do right after game

S Carolina and Virginia are hard to beat so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Umm.

Guys. Should we tell him?

Haha I already know....subtle sarcasm in my 40 year remark...

sgt smash
October 27th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Has Fake Bo Pelini ever adopted a:
Bulldog?
Paladin?
Chanticleer?
Blue Hose?
Terrier?

mmiller_34
October 27th, 2016, 07:19 PM
I have very unenthusiastically skimmed through this thread so far and have four thoughts to add to discussion:

1. Harvard, because oldest institution.
2. Lehigh is too high
3. None of the above are stadiums.
4. Caseys Pizza

Hope that clears things up a bit.

IBleedYellow
October 27th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Bulldog?
Paladin?
Chanticleer?
Blue Hose?
Terrier?
Hook. Line. Sinker.

The troll got ya.

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2016, 07:26 PM
http://www.vonitaly.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/fishing-07.jpg

caribbeanhen
October 27th, 2016, 07:30 PM

the Midwesterners display a weird paranoia about trolls... if your not praising the MVFC you must be fishing... haha..... wait for it now.....

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 07:41 PM
the Midwesterners display a weird paranoia about trolls... if your not praising the MVFC you must be fishing... haha..... wait for it now.....

Oh....I wasn't aware. I'll inform SkankHunt42.

Cocky
October 27th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Alabama:
JSU
Samford
Ala A&M
AL State

Then you have these teams which play at the FCS level:
Hoover High
TUNA
Troy
South Alabama
UAb when they have a team.

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Bulldog?
Paladin?
Chanticleer?
Blue Hose?
Terrier?

Oh...please elaborate. I don't know what you're talking about and it sounds funny...

- - - Updated - - -

Alabama:
JSU
Samford
Ala A&M
AL State

Hoover High
TUNA
Troy
South Alabama

The bottom half of your post: well played sir.

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Oh...please elaborate. I don't know what you're talking about and it sounds funny...
It actually is. The guy who runs the fauxbopelini twitter adopted a bison after they beat Iowa this year cause he hates Iowa. Kinda like how you adopt a starving kid in Zimbabwe except a Bison. Pretty funny ****.

sgt smash
October 27th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Oh...please elaborate. I don't know what you're talking about and it sounds funny..

When NDSU beat Iowa, he adopted a Bison and put it up on twitter. He did it in memory of Iowa.

Beat me to it

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2016, 07:51 PM
When NDSU beat Iowa, he adopted a Bison and put it up on twitter. He did it in memory of Iowa.

Beat me to it
JACK ATTACK!!!!!

ASU33
October 27th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Alabama:
JSU
Samford
Ala A&M
AL State

Hoover High
TUNA
Troy
South Alabama

I stand with him!

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 08:50 PM
It actually is. The guy who runs the fauxbopelini twitter adopted a bison after they beat Iowa this year cause he hates Iowa. Kinda like how you adopt a starving kid in Zimbabwe except a Bison. Pretty funny ****.

Haha!!! That's some good sh** right there

- - - Updated - - -

Beat me to it

Classic!

PantherRob82
October 27th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Oh....I wasn't aware. I'll inform SkankHunt42.

Dildo Swaggins is a SHSU fan.

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Dildo Swaggins is a SHSU fan.

Dildo Swaggins wouldn't lower himself to that and you know it.

dewey
October 27th, 2016, 11:09 PM
I nominate Texas. They have the STATS and Coaches poll #1 ranked and undefeated SHSU. No one else matters since the Bearkats are destroying teams every week.

(HEAVY SARCASM)

Dewey

grizband
October 27th, 2016, 11:45 PM
I nominate Texas. They have the STATS and Coaches poll #1 ranked and undefeated SHSU. No one else matters since the Bearkats are destroying teams every week.

(HEAVY SARCASM)

Dewey
Really, I didn't notice... ;)

CID1990
October 28th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Virginia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gangtackle11
October 28th, 2016, 06:02 AM

Maybe, but of the 24 FCS playoff spots there may be 3 from that group in Villanova, Lehigh, & St.Francis, Pa. along with the possible Ivy League Champ Penn.

As for things to do there is 2 major cities in Philadelphia & Pittsburgh that I'm sure you could enjoy. Lots of historical sites throughout the state also.

May not be #1, but it's not as bad as you may think. You just have to open your minds which for some of you is hard to do.

Twentysix
October 28th, 2016, 06:18 AM
This is some offseason bull**** if I've ever seen it before.

Gil Dobie
October 28th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Dakota Territory
NDSU 5x Championships
SDSU has beaten NDSU this year
USD beat NDSU last year
UND First place in the Big Sky

Lehigh'98
October 28th, 2016, 07:13 AM
This is some offseason bull**** if I've ever seen it before.

He didn't get your sign off on his post on a public fcs board. Should be deleted immediately! Make AGS great again

TheRevSFA
October 28th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Correct.

Should've clarified criteria:
- Success on field
- Diversity of gameday experiences at stadium (yes will need several teams)
- Quality of nearby stuff to see/do right after game

S Carolina and Virginia are hard to beat so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha I already know....subtle sarcasm in my 40 year remark...

Success on the field? So I assume SC State and Presby counter Chuck South and Citadel....Wofford and Furman can split.

- - - Updated - - -

Bulldog?
Paladin?
Chanticleer?
Blue Hose?
Terrier?

FauxPelini is one of the greatest twitter feeds ever, just like Fake Dan Beebe.

kalm
October 28th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Dakota Territory
NDSU 5x Championships
SDSU has beaten NDSU this year
USD beat NDSU last year
UND First place in the Big Sky

WashIdMo...

5 National Championships
3 Paytons since 2005
5 Buchanans since 2005
Gorgeous red turf
Hellgate Canyon blizzards
Loud and Cold
Merril Hoge
The Gallatin Valley
Going to the Sun Road
The Palouse
The Bitteroots
Zips Drive In
Fred's (or is it Red's?)
The oldest enclosed stadium on a college campus in the US
Dicks by the bagful.

UNIFanSince1983
October 28th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Wait we are saying Alabama is currently the best in FBS simply because of the Tide right? I mean Auburn had one good year with Cam Newton and that is it. So why can't well call North Dakota the best state in FCS football because of the one team that has won 5 straight NCs? Not even Alabama did that.

Terry2889
October 28th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Pennsylvania. Lehigh has a ton of Patriot Championships and a National Championship game appearance. Villanova has a storied tradition with soon to be multiple NFL hall of famers, CAA championships and a National Championship. UPenn up until recently dominated the most storied football conference in the entire FCS. And tons of other lesser school that compete in various other conferences.

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2016, 09:55 AM
I haven't read the thread, but I feel like it needs more of this.

http://www.umt.edu/featured-stories/images/top_stadium.jpg

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2016, 09:56 AM
WashIdMo...

5 National Championships
3 Paytons since 2005
5 Buchanans since 2005
Gorgeous red turf
Hellgate Canyon blizzards
Loud and Cold
Merril Hoge
The Gallatin Valley
Going to the Sun Road
The Palouse
The Bitteroots
Zips Drive In
Fred's (or is it Red's?)
The oldest enclosed stadium on a college campus in the US
Dicks by the bagful.

Both

Thumper 76
October 28th, 2016, 10:02 AM

Oh theres even fireworks in this one! Very nice!

ElCid
October 28th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I think the top ones are in no particular order SC, PA, VA, NY. They all have great histories with success in different eras. By that I mean they have some teams which are FCS now but had history way back before the split and some recent success. And between these 4 states they are just shy of 1/4 of the current total FCS teams...30/125. Some are new, and some are ancient.

Other notables are LA, TX, IL, TN, and now the Dakotas (we can just lump them both together can't we?)xlolx

BisonFan02
October 28th, 2016, 03:12 PM
The Palouse

/thread

Sammy94
October 28th, 2016, 03:18 PM

(HEAVY SARCASM)

Dewey

For sure Texas but not because of the Kats, we have high school teams that could beat FCS teams on regular basis especially the real weak ones the Kats beat up on every week.

Daytripper
October 28th, 2016, 03:22 PM
For sure Texas but not because of the Kats, we have high school teams that could beat FCS teams on regular basis especially the real weak ones the Kats beat up on every week.

This year, it is the The Woodlands. They would be above .500 in the Southland..xlolx

Gangtackle11
October 28th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Pennsylvania. Lehigh has a ton of Patriot Championships and a National Championship game appearance. Villanova has a storied tradition with soon to be multiple NFL hall of famers, CAA championships and a National Championship. UPenn up until recently dominated the most storied football conference in the entire FCS. And tons of other lesser school that compete in various other conferences.

I nominated Pennsy Terry & took the hit for it not being worthy. Welcome aboard.

Bucs2016
October 28th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I think the top ones are in no particular order SC, PA, VA, NY. They all have great histories with success in different eras. By that I mean they have some teams which are FCS now but had history way back before the split and some recent success. And between these 4 states they are just shy of 1/4 of the current total FCS teams...30/125. Some are new, and some are ancient.

Other notables are LA, TX, IL, TN, and now the Dakotas (we can just lump them both together can't we?)xlolx

Yep I agree with that top 4. SC PA NY VA. And LA TX IL TN as close to them. As for regions go...the mountains/northwest region with the Dakotas, UNI, EWU, Portland, etc are probably the strongest region of the country right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Allen High School at their peak vs Savannah State at their low point.....hmmmm.

Twentysix
October 28th, 2016, 08:57 PM

Not a stadium