View Full Version : NEC Pick 'em - Week 9

RedFlash
October 27th, 2016, 10:29 AM
NEC Week 9

Central Connecticut (-2.5) at Robert Morris
Bryant at Duquesne (-6.5)
Wagner at UMass (no line available)
St. Francis (-3.5) at Sacred Heart

CCSU travels to RMU for what is an interesting match-up for two 3rd year head coaches. John Banaszak is 5-22 in his 3rd season at RMU while Pete Rossomando is 8-20 at CCSU. There was some talk of both coaches possibly being on the hot seat in the “Who’s on the Hot Seat (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?187701-Who-s-on-the-Hot-Seat-and-Who-s-the-perfect-candidate)" thread, if you’re interested. Both coaches had excellent success at the lower levels, Rossomando was 42-13 at D-II New Haven, while Banaszak was 38-9 at D-III W&J. Not sure Rossomondo is feeling the heat, but I have to think Banaszak is feeling some pressure since the school recently installed a new university president. Injuries have played a big factor at RMU – who are rivaling the Browns in terms of the number of QB’s they will start this season – but I think this could be their week as the Blue Devils face the long bus ride to Moon Twp.
Perhaps CCSU and Bryant should have split the cost of a chartered flight to Pittsburgh this weekend, as Bryant also travels to Pittsburgh this weekend for a game on the Bluff against the Dukes. Assuming Duquesne isn’t still kicking themselves after last Friday’s game where they had the edge in just about every statistical category except the final score, I expect them to win big, taking out that frustration on the Bulldogs.
Wagner looks for another payday against an FBS level team, this time the 1-7 UMass Minutemen. Despite its record, UMass has been respectable so I expect them to win against the Seahawks – although I will be curious to see if Wagner can hang with them for a while.
StFU looks to go 4-0 in NEC conference play for the first time ever on Saturday, but they will have to avoid the long bus ride struggles and the dangers of having a letdown after Friday night’s come from behind victory over arch rival Duquesne. StFU’s defense has been impressive under first year D-Coordinator Marco Pecora, but they will have their hands full again against an SHU squad that has one of the better running back tandems in the FCS. In their only loss of the season to Wagner, the Pioneers only rushed for 108 yards, well below their season average of 229 yds/game. StFU has the conference’s best rush defense, so it should be strength against strength on Saturday at Campus Field.

Last week 2-2. Overall 30-12

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 10:35 AM
CCSU 17 Robert Morris 14
Duquesne 31 Bryant 7
Sacred Heart 24 St.Francis (Pa.) 20
UMass 35 Wagner 13

Home teams in bold.

Last Week: 4-0 Season: 34-8

blackbeard
October 27th, 2016, 01:25 PM
RMU playing better after soem awful weeks, think they pull the upset here.
Dukes roll
SFU has had the Pioneers' number in recent years while SHU has climbed to the top of the conference. SFU has just been that thorn in the side. I think SHU turns that around this year with a win to keep their conference title hopes alive.
Wags takes it on the chin in a closer game than most expect.

RedFlash
October 27th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I just saw in StFU's Game Notes for this week that Lorenzo Jerome is not listed on the Two Deep - as he sat out most of the 2nd half of last week's game against Duquesne. Not a good sign for the Flash, but with their bye week coming up next week, it makes sense to hold him out this week to give his body almost three full weeks to heal.

bonarae
October 27th, 2016, 07:29 PM
CCSU
Duquesne
UMass
Sacred Heart

Original_RMC
October 28th, 2016, 08:38 AM
CCSU @ RMU: What a tough pick this week. Both teams coming into this game with a 4 game losing streak. One team will be alone in the basement. One thing CCSU has that RMU doesn't is the same QB that has played in all their games. Dolegala is having a tremendous season for CCSU, completing 158-of-262 passes for 1,744 yards and 10 touchdowns. CCSU's D is blah - RMU's O is blah. And two head coaches perhaps on the hot seat per the fans.
RMU is 0-2-1 when playing games on October 29th.
14-13

Bryant @ Duquesne: Long road trip for the Bulldogs against a pissed off Dukes team that now needs help to secure another NEC title. Perhaps that SFU lost will get this team focused. Dukes finally show their potential. 34-13

Saint Francis @ Sacred Heart: The all-time series is tied 10-10 between the programs with SFU winning last four meetings. SFU has the pass rush to get to Noel and bring him down without him dancing around the pocket. SFU escapes with the win behind their rushing attacked and their D.
21-20

Wagner @ Umass: Another FBS game for Wagner. Good for them stepping up and taking the money. They are quietly building something up there in NY and could be the surprise team to bolt from the NEC first. 38-20

RedFlash
October 28th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Wagner @ Umass: Another FBS game for Wagner. Good for them stepping up and taking the money. They are quietly building something up there in NY and could be the surprise team to bolt from the NEC first. 38-20

My question re: Wagner is where would they go? To the Big South with Monmouth?

Original_RMC
October 28th, 2016, 11:20 AM
My question re: Wagner is where would they go? To the Big South with Monmouth?

I think many NEC schools are looking at Monmouth and saying we can do that. Get your basketball program into a larger conference and see if the NEC will keep you as an associate member. If not then you go independent for a season or two and attempt to find a conference for football.

Bluefish845
October 28th, 2016, 02:59 PM
I think many NEC schools are looking at Monmouth and saying we can do that. Get your basketball program into a larger conference and see if the NEC will keep you as an associate member. If not then you go independent for a season or two and attempt to find a conference for football.

I'm not so sure about that from a football operations perspective yes I'm sure every NEC wants more schollies and a chance to "step up" to a perceived more competitive level whether it is CAA or Big South and full scholly Patriot. But from an administrative $$$ point of view does the school want to invest in those additional schollies and say the additional travel costs involved with joining the Big south. The Wagner model seems to work well for Wagner, schedule 2-3 money games each year to help fund the current program and attract transfers looking for those types of games. I could be wrong but don't see SHU, RMU, STFU, Wagner or even CCSU looking to expand in the near future. That is also not to say that there aren't forces at work that may force it too happen should a school bolt the NEC and suddenly the NEC loses it's auto bid.

This week:
CCSU over RMU, just not enough offensive fire power for Bobby Mo
Bryant in an 'upset' over the Dukes, the scoreboard will light up like a pinball machine.
Wagner takes the money and runs but loses in a game that will be closer than it should be
My Pioneers need to play mistake free football to remain in the race for the NEC title, I'm calling SHU in a nail biter.

RedFlash
October 28th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I'm not so sure about that from a football operations perspective yes I'm sure every NEC wants more schollies and a chance to "step up" to a perceived more competitive level whether it is CAA or Big South and full scholly Patriot. But from an administrative $$$ point of view does the school want to invest in those additional schollies and say the additional travel costs involved with joining the Big south. The Wagner model seems to work well for Wagner, schedule 2-3 money games each year to help fund the current program and attract transfers looking for those types of games. I could be wrong but don't see SHU, RMU, STFU, Wagner or even CCSU looking to expand in the near future. That is also not to say that there aren't forces at work that may force it too happen should a school bolt the NEC and suddenly the NEC loses it's auto bid.

I have to agree with Bluefish on this point (even if he is an SHU fan.) The idea that Wagner could leave the NEC for football and remain as an associate member in other sports just isn't realistic. Maybe they could look to the MAAC or the American East for their sports, but I don't know if those conferences need additional members. Plus, Wagner would probably need to upgrade their stadium for a larger football conference - as I don't think their current stadium holds more then about 4-5,000. If I was placing odds on which team is most likely to leave, I'd say Bryant would be my top choice.

Bluefish845
October 28th, 2016, 05:24 PM
I have to agree with Bluefish on this point (even if he is an SHU fan.) The idea that Wagner could leave the NEC for football and remain as an associate member in other sports just isn't realistic. Maybe they could look to the MAAC or the American East for their sports, but I don't know if those conferences need additional members. Plus, Wagner would probably need to upgrade their stadium for a larger football conference - as I don't think their current stadium holds more then about 4-5,000. If I was placing odds on which team is most likely to leave, I'd say Bryant would be my top choice.

Thanks Flash, Bryant is probably the most attractive candidate Shu is expanding the campus like crazy including a new athletics building right next to campus field on the horizon. It certainly will not leave much room for adding add'l seating capacity in order to " move up". In the next 5 years I do think we will see a reshuffling of the NEC, Pioneer and Big south with perhaps the Caa picking up a pair of schools although I would not begin to speculate who and where. I think it will shake out in the near future though. If you come to Shu tomorrow come to the tailgate area, my set up has the 2 flags billowing in the breeze.

Bluefish845
October 28th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Last week at the RMU-SHU (@ SHU) game I saw 2 guys wearing Youngstown state gear, I stopped dead in my tracks and told them they were at the wrong game...got to talking and slipped in a Any given Saturday comment and they didn't take the bait, oh well.

MR. CHICKEN
October 28th, 2016, 07:41 PM
CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE
DUQUESNE
UMASS
SACRED HEART

UNHWildcat18
October 28th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks Flash, Bryant is probably the most attractive candidate Shu is expanding the campus like crazy including a new athletics building right next to campus field on the horizon. It certainly will not leave much room for adding add'l seating capacity in order to " move up". In the next 5 years I do think we will see a reshuffling of the NEC, Pioneer and Big south with perhaps the Caa picking up a pair of schools although I would not begin to speculate who and where. I think it will shake out in the near future though. If you come to Shu tomorrow come to the tailgate area, my set up has the 2 flags billowing in the breeze.

Personally while I love the Idea of Bryant in the CAAFB and America East for sports, I just don't see them expanding the stadium to 8k which I believe Ualbany had to have as a minimum when they said they would make a new facility. I agree though that if any school could pull a Monmouth or something else its Bryant.