PDA

View Full Version : Massey Predicts CAA Playoff Race

Gangtackle11
October 25th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Interesting year in the CAA where 6-7 teams can make a case at 7+ wins and 8+ not out of the question.

Massey predictions in bold:

Richmond (7-1;4-1):James Madison, Delaware, @W&M

JMU (6-1; 4-0): Rhode Island, @Richmond, @ Villanova, Elon

Villanova (6-2; 4-1): @Maine, James Madison, @Delaware

Stony Brook (5-2;4-0) @UNH, W&M, Maine, @Albany

UNH (5-3; 4-1): Stony Brook, Albany, @Maine

Maine (4-3; 3-1): W&M, Villanova, @Stony Brook, UNH

Albany (4-3; 1-3): Elon, Delaware, @UNH, Stony Brook

Massey Final Standings
1. Richmond 10-1; 7-1
2. Villanova 9-2; 7-1
3. UNH 8-3; 7-1
4.James Madison 8-3; 6-2
5. Stony Brook 7-4; 6-2
6. Albany 7-4; 4-4
7. Maine 5-6; 4-4

KPSUL
October 25th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Interesting year in the CAA where 6-7 teams can make a case at 7+ wins and 8+ not out of the question.

Massey Final Standings
1. Richmond 10-1; 7-1
2. Villanova 9-2; 7-1
3. UNH 8-3; 7-1
4.James Madison 8-3; 6-2
5. Stony Brook 7-4; 6-2
6. Albany 7-4; 4-4
7. Maine 5-6; 4-4

Boy that MR Massey is a smart guy!

bostonspider
October 25th, 2016, 02:17 PM
If this all happened what kind of seeds would you all see? UR as a 4? VU as an 8?

flyrod
October 25th, 2016, 03:09 PM
TBH , this CAA race is quite the race for everyone....a heck of a lot better for all fans then just 1 clear cut favorite running away with it. Makes every CAA game meaningful to everyone.
I would call it exciting vs some of them other conferences out there.
Now of course each of us will root for our own team to the hilt. But its fun both the worries and the cheers. Just hope the zebras play fair is all anyone can ask....but then again thats asking alot cause it is the CAA.

Gangtackle11
October 25th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Massey predictions for this week:
Game-Probability
UNH 13 Stony Brook 10 56%
Maine 21 W&M 20 52%
UAlbany 24 Elon 10 83%
JMU 48 Rhode Island 21 97%

1st 2 games predicted to be a FG or less & pretty much a coin flip prediction.

Betting Lines:
UNH -4.5 Stony Brook (30.5)
W&M -3.5 Maine (43.5)
UAlbany -13.5 Elon (38.5)
JMU -31 Rhode Island (68.5)

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 25th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Massey predictions for this week:
Game-Probability
UNH 13 Stony Brook 10 56%
Maine 21 W&M 20 52%
UAlbany 24 Elon 10 83%
JMU 48 Rhode Island 21 97%

1st 2 games predicted to be a FG or less & pretty much a coin flip prediction.

Betting Lines:
UNH -4.5 Stony Brook (30.5)
W&M -3.5 Maine (43.5)
UAlbany -13.5 Elon (38.5)
JMU -31 Rhode Island (68.5)

I'll take the points in all games

Spider from the North
October 26th, 2016, 07:37 AM
I have little doubt that JMU will beat URI. However, URI has been improving and I would be reluctant to take JMU and give 31 points.
I think it will be a two, maybe three, TD game.

ZableNoise
October 26th, 2016, 07:54 AM
How is W&M favored on a neutral field against Maine? We could definitely win this weekend but I'm shocked to see us giving points

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 26th, 2016, 08:39 AM
How is W&M favored on a neutral field against Maine? We could definitely win this weekend but I'm shocked to see us giving points

Massey predicts Maine wins 21-20 yet we get 3.5 pts xdrunkyx
I do expect a close one.
Then Massey has Maine losing their last 3 games to go 5-6:D Sorry no way will this team drop their last 3 if we beat the tribe this w/e.

KPSUL
October 26th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk Why is Zable considered a neutral field?

Gangtackle11
October 26th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Massey predicts Maine wins 21-20 yet we get 3.5 pts xdrunkyx
I do expect a close one.
Then Massey has Maine losing their last 3 games to go 5-6:D Sorry no way will this team drop their last 3 if we beat the tribe this w/e.

Massey ratings change week to week based on performance. A good win at W&M may change a game prediction or 2 down the stretch.

ZableNoise
October 26th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Why is Zable considered a neutral field?

Three points for home field usually. So on a neutral field W&M would still be favored is what I meant.

ccd494
October 26th, 2016, 09:28 AM
The issue with using the Massey ratings like this is that if a team, per their numbers, has a 49% chance of winning each of its four remaining games, the numbers aren't saying they are likely to go 0-4.

If you have a 49% chance of four different things happening, the most likely scenario is 2 of them will happen.

Gangtackle11
October 26th, 2016, 09:32 AM
The issue with using the Massey ratings like this is that if a team, per their numbers, has a 49% chance of winning each of its four remaining games, the numbers aren't saying they are likely to go 0-4.

If you have a 49% chance of four different things happening, the most likely scenario is 2 of them will happen.

True. That's why the only result that matters is the one on the field, but this site would be awful quiet. See you on the 5th!

KPSUL
October 26th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Three points for home field usually. So on a neutral field W&M would still be favored is what I meant.
thanks

smilo
October 26th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Massey Final Standings
1. Richmond 10-1; 7-1
2. Villanova 9-2; 7-1
3. UNH 8-3; 7-1
4.James Madison 8-3; 6-2
5. Stony Brook 7-4; 6-2
6. Albany 7-4; 4-4
7. Maine 5-6; 4-4

Best case scenario would probably have Stony Brook beat Albany. Albany beating the 2nd worst team in FBS is no longer impressive if it ever was. They might be good soon, but they're definitely not there yet. Stony Brook beating UR and UND will certainly be. I fully expect them to win.

Best case scenario for Nova would probably include JMU beating UR too, but I don't care, we tie either way so long as we win :)

Terry2889
October 26th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I guess I just don't see UNH winning all three of their final games.

KPSUL
October 26th, 2016, 12:22 PM
I guess I just don't see UNH winning all three of their final games.

Even if they are a slight favorite in each game, it is collectively a long shot. However, apparently Massey thinks it is more likely than Albany, Stony Brook or Maine winning out.

Terry2889
October 26th, 2016, 01:40 PM
It's funny. Of all of the schedules on there, I think UMaine's in the most favorable. W&M this week, 'Nova and UNH at home? I smell playoffs for the Black Bears. Also, 'Nova has a very difficult two game stretch ahead with a game at Maine and then followed by a home game with JMU. If they lose both do they even have a quality win? Better question, if UNH wins out, do we have a quality win?

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 26th, 2016, 01:55 PM
It's funny. Of all of the schedules on there, I think UMaine's in the most favorable. W&M this week, 'Nova and UNH at home? I smell playoffs for the Black Bears. Also, 'Nova has a very difficult two game stretch ahead with a game at Maine and then followed by a home game with JMU. If they lose both do they even have a quality win? Better question, if UNH wins out, do we have a quality win?

Careful Terry2889, one more positive UMaine comment and I am gonna have to call u sandbagahxpeacex

Mattymc727
October 26th, 2016, 02:47 PM

If UNH won out, I suppose it could have a quality win over SBU (depending on how SBu finished the season). Brownie points for a close loss with JMU?

Regardless, 8-3 is a lock with UNH's history considering there are 24 teams in the field.

KPSUL
October 26th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Careful Terry2889, one more positive UMaine comment and I am gonna have to call u sandbagahxpeacex

You catch on pretty quick for a Mainiac.

KPSUL
October 26th, 2016, 03:10 PM

I see 2 and 2 for Maine, and they'll have 5 losses and be out. Cashing in by scheduling 2 FBS OOC games is not good strategy for making the playoffs. Sorta the East coast answer to UNI.

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 26th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I see 2 and 2 for Maine, and they'll have 5 losses and be out. Cashing in by scheduling 2 FBS OOC games is not good strategy for making the playoffs. Sorta the East coast answer to UNI.

Thanks KPSUL that is the UNH hospitality I am used to. If Maine doesn't play two FBS teams this program goes away. We don't have the financial backing like our neighbors to the south. It kills us in the OOC but we have no option. As far as going 2 and 2 I have no idea I was thinking taking 2 out of 3 if we get by the Tribe. But if you are correct and we go 2 and 2 as long as the last one is a W us Mainiacs will be fine with thatxthumbsupx

KPSUL
October 26th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Thanks KPSUL that is the UNH hospitality I am used to. If Maine doesn't play two FBS teams this program goes away. We don't have the financial backing like our neighbors to the south. It kills us in the OOC but we have no option. As far as going 2 and 2 I have no idea I was thinking taking 2 out of 3 if we get by the Tribe. But if you are correct and we go 2 and 2 as long as the last one is a W us Mainiacs will be fine with thatxthumbsupx

Would you find it more hospitable if I lied and said I expect Maine to go 4-0 and that playing two OOC games is a great idea? Not that has much to do with my post, but UM and UNH have similar sized total endowment, and I'd be willing to bet the state of Maine provides a greater percentage of direct financing then the State of NH. As far as your last game, I'd think it is one of your better chances for a win during the remainder of the season. I hope it is a good game.

ccd494
October 26th, 2016, 09:35 PM

Well, we make more money on the FBS games than we would on a playoff game, even at home, and it isn't even close. Keeping the program going depends a whole lot more on those two paydays than making the playoffs.

Terry2889
October 27th, 2016, 07:41 AM

Maine is much more balanced than UNH, Stony Brook, and Villanova. I can easily see them winning their final four games. I was impressed with what I saw against JMU. They have a lot of athleticism and a stable of running backs that might be the second best combo in the CAA. Defensively they are good enough to hold those teams to manageable scores while offensively they are much better than UNH and Stony Brook. They have 'Nova at home. I am not sandbagging, just trying to take a logical approach. I don't believe that this UNH team has the experience to stay focused for four games in a row. We will slip up and make the same boneheaded mistakes that we have managed to survive against second rate competition. We will not be able to make those mistakes against Stony Brook and Maine. I do believe that we are flat out better than Albany though. Nothing against the Great Danes but they don't look as physical or athletic as most of the CAA and it's showing.

Anthony215
October 27th, 2016, 08:23 AM
I like for 5 CAA teams to get into the playoffs this year. Richmond, Nova, JMU, UNH & Stony Brook

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Maine is much more balanced than UNH, Stony Brook, and Villanova. I can easily see them winning their final four games. I was impressed with what I saw against JMU. They have a lot of athleticism and a stable of running backs that might be the second best combo in the CAA. Defensively they are good enough to hold those teams to manageable scores while offensively they are much better than UNH and Stony Brook. They have 'Nova at home. I am not sandbagging, just trying to take a logical approach. I don't believe that this UNH team has the experience to stay focused for four games in a row. We will slip up and make the same boneheaded mistakes that we have managed to survive against second rate competition. We will not be able to make those mistakes against Stony Brook and Maine. I do believe that we are flat out better than Albany though. Nothing against the Great Danes but they don't look as physical or athletic as most of the CAA and it's showing.

Yet, Albany played Maine to a 1 score game (20-16) in Orono. I'll see 1st hand in a couple of weeks. I didn't see much from UAlbany @ Nova, but they played Richmond tough.

Maine will be playing against a top 5 FCS defense that day. (3rd statistically for the record)

mainejeff
October 27th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Maine has the ability to go 4-0 over their last 4 games....will they?....not likely. The Black Bears have not played well over their past 3 games despite going 3-0. W&M always seems well prepared...that worries me a lot.

If Maine does win in Williamsburg I see them going 7-4 and making the playoffs.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 10:42 AM
If Maine does win in Williamsburg I see them going 7-4 and making the playoffs.

Better think 8-3.

There will be several 7-4 teams most likely out there & may be a 6-5 UNI type. I think you better be looking at 8-3 with your only perceived quality wins over Villanova & UNH who will be 7-4 most likely too & lower quality wins if it plays the way you say.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Playing @ Maine is never easy, but when I look at the 2 common opponents and compare it's hard for me not think that the 'Cats are slightly better than Black Bears. I'd say Nova escapes Maine with a 7-10 point win, but I'm not betting the farm.

Maine 20 Albany 16
Maine 28 Rhode Island 21

Villanova 24 Albany 13 (24-0 after 3)
Villanova 35 Rhode Island 0

mainejeff
October 27th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Better think 8-3.

There will be several 7-4 teams most likely out there & may be a 6-5 UNI type. I think you better be looking at 8-3 with your only perceived quality wins over Villanova & UNH who will be 7-4 most likely too & lower quality wins if it plays the way you say.

Maine will make it in @ 7-4 but that's a long way off right now.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Maine will make it in @ 7-4 but that's a long way off right now.

I like your confidence. xsmiley_wix

KPSUL
October 27th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Maine, Stony Brook, UNH and Albany? There appears to be a paper thin difference between these teams right now. If only we had some sort of clear historical evidence about the ability of each team to win the games at the end of a season they need to get in a position to make it to the playoffs. If one team had clearly shown the ability to do this over the last 5 or 10 seasons, perhaps that would help us determine the one team most likely to be playing on the last weekend in November.

DirtyDukes
October 27th, 2016, 01:15 PM
No way do the Dukes lose to both UR and Nova.

wmmii
October 27th, 2016, 01:26 PM
W&M passing offense looked improved in the second half to beat Delaware and the run game with Anderson is strong. The D has been an unexpected surprise and would have better stats if the O had kept them off the field more in our losses. If W&M can beat Maine coming off our bye week then think we have a strong chance of running the table up to Richmond with a 4 game win streak which would throw off this analysis since W&M would beat Maine and Stony. Our fate is hanging by a spider web but you should not count out the Tribe as they were ranked in the Top 15 for the first 3 weeks of the season.

Matt
October 27th, 2016, 02:51 PM
No way do the Dukes lose to both UR and Nova.

Yeah, I'm shocked that's what they came up with. Taken individually, its not impossible. Our games are never predictable, we're gonna score a lot of points on that D (at least we should), and we have a very good defense (#1 pass D in the country..for now). And then Nova's rush defense could completely shut down Abdullah. If these games were a few weeks apart I could see it. Losing consecutive weeks, however, is extremely unlikely from what I've seen of the Dukes.

Terry2889
October 27th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Yet, Albany played Maine to a 1 score game (20-16) in Orono. I'll see 1st hand in a couple of weeks. I didn't see much from UAlbany @ Nova, but they played Richmond tough.

Maine will be playing against a top 5 FCS defense that day. (3rd statistically for the record)

The Maine-Albany game was similar in to the UNH-JMU game in that Maine was up big and seemed to let the foot off the pedal. Also Maine completely dominated them statistically.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 04:06 PM
The Maine-Albany game was similar in to the UNH-JMU game in that Maine was up big and seemed to let the foot off the pedal. Also Maine completely dominated them statistically.

Game was 13-8 Maine @ half. 20-8 after 3 & 20-16 with 10 mins. left. Maine did outgain Albany 467-335.

JMU was up 42-12 with 7 minutes left.

That's a little different type game being up 30 vs. being up 4 in the middle of the 4th quarter.

UNHWildcat18
October 27th, 2016, 04:14 PM
W&M passing offense looked improved in the second half to beat Delaware and the run game with Anderson is strong. The D has been an unexpected surprise and would have better stats if the O had kept them off the field more in our losses. If W&M can beat Maine coming off our bye week then think we have a strong chance of running the table up to Richmond with a 4 game win streak which would throw off this analysis since W&M would beat Maine and Stony. Our fate is hanging by a spider web but you should not count out the Tribe as they were ranked in the Top 15 for the first 3 weeks of the season.

William and Mary is not going 4-0. You were ranked and obviously shouldn't have been, not that UNH is good this year IMO in terms of making a deep playoff run. I wouldn't be surprised if you go 1-3 or 2-2.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 27th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Maine, Stony Brook, UNH and Albany? There appears to be a paper thin difference between these teams right now. If only we had some sort of clear historical evidence about the ability of each team to win the games at the end of a season they need to get in a position to make it to the playoffs. If one team had clearly shown the ability to do this over the last 5 or 10 seasons, perhaps that would help us determine the one team most likely to be playing on the last weekend in November.

Ha well we have something even better. We have actual games. Stony Brook plays Maine, UNH, Bill and Marie and Albany. I'm hoping for 3-1 ... I'm fearing 1-3.

KPSUL
October 27th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Ha well we have something even better. We have actual games. Stony Brook plays Maine, UNH, Bill and Marie and Albany. I'm hoping for 3-1 ... I'm fearing 1-3.

3-1 could get you share of the conference title (if JMU loses at least one game), and in most possible scenarios, the auto-bid.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 27th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I'm shocked that's what they came up with. Taken individually, its not impossible. Our games are never predictable, we're gonna score a lot of points on that D (at least we should), and we have a very good defense (#1 pass D in the country..for now). And then Nova's rush defense could completely shut down Abdullah. If these games were a few weeks apart I could see it. Losing consecutive weeks, however, is extremely unlikely from what I've seen of the Dukes.

Matt, you should kiss his ass more.

Matt
October 27th, 2016, 05:39 PM
JFC. Bill and Marie. CAA fans have never been great at making up snarky nicknames for rivals (UR definitely included), but that one sets a new bar.

wmmii
October 28th, 2016, 09:44 AM
William and Mary is not going 4-0. You were ranked and obviously shouldn't have been, not that UNH is good this year IMO in terms of making a deep playoff run. I wouldn't be surprised if you go 1-3 or 2-2.

I remember a season not too long ago where UNH had to win out to make the playoffs after dropping out of the top 25 and the kids delivered. Not saying the Tribe will do that but the current record does not reflect the talent of the players....just saying....

Gangtackle11
October 28th, 2016, 10:28 AM
I remember a season not too long ago where UNH had to win out to make the playoffs after dropping out of the top 25 and the kids delivered. Not saying the Tribe will do that but the current record does not reflect the talent of the players....just saying....

Good luck. Lots of respect for the program, but I think 7-4 teams are going to be sweating it out on selection day.

Seawolf97
October 28th, 2016, 10:50 AM
3-1 could get you share of the conference title (if JMU loses at least one game), and in most possible scenarios, the auto-bid. We just don't know which team will show up on any Saturday . If the team that beat UND and Richmond shows up we are in good shape . If the team that got pounded by Sacred Heart appears we are doomed . This is a scary season for Seawolves Fans.

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 28th, 2016, 03:28 PM

Huge game for both teams and I see no reason why it won't be decided by more than one score and will more than likely come down to a last possession. I hope to watch on the CAA stream any idea if there is play by play commentating and the cost?
Watched the Rhody game on the A10 stream and video was good but no play by just the announcer at the game. Ended up listening to stream w/UMaine announcers but video and audio stream are never the samexsmhx

Matt
October 28th, 2016, 06:50 PM

Lol sounds good, dude

Matt
October 28th, 2016, 06:53 PM

Also, I'm right.

ZableNoise
October 28th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Huge game for both teams and I see no reason why it won't be decided by more than one score and will more than likely come down to a last possession. I hope to watch on the CAA stream any idea if there is play by play commentating and the cost?
Watched the Rhody game on the A10 stream and video was good but no play by just the announcer at the game. Ended up listening to stream w/UMaine announcers but video and audio stream are never the samexsmhx
I know it's free through Tribe TV. Jay Colley is a good announcer but he's gonna be a little biased.

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 29th, 2016, 07:03 AM
I know it's free through Tribe TV. Jay Colley is a good announcer but he's gonna be a little biased.

Thanks, UMaine site is linking to Tribe telecast. 75F and sunny, should make for a great game. Will this deadication of stadium upgrade make for a huge crowd ?

ZableNoise
October 29th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Thanks, UMaine site is linking to Tribe telecast. 75F and sunny, should make for a great game. Will this deadication of stadium upgrade make for a huge crowd ?
Hopefully. They actually had a ticket giveaway to season ticket holders just to pack it.

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Updated to reflect Massey rating changes from yesterday after it predicted the winner in each game correctly yesterday.

Massey Predicts CAA Playoff Race

1. JMU (7-1; 5-0): @Richmond, @ Villanova, Elon

2. UNH (6- 3; 5-1): Albany, @Maine

3. Richmond (7-1;4-1):James Madison, Delaware, @W&M

4. Villanova (6-2; 4-1): @Maine, James Madison, @Delaware

5. Stony Brook (5-3; 4-1): W&M, Maine, @Albany

6. Maine (5-3; 4-1): Villanova, @Stony Brook, UNH

7. Albany (5-3; 2-3): Delaware, @UNH, Stony Brook

Massey Final Standings
1. Richmond 10-1; 7-1
2. Villanova 9-2; 7-1
3. UNH 8-3; 7-1
4.James Madison 8-3; 6-2
5. Stony Brook 7-4; 6-2
6. Albany 7-4; 4-4
7. Maine 5-6; 4-4

Schism55
October 30th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Might want to pump the brakes there. The 5 absolute dumpster fire teams in your conference will undoubtedly come back to haunt a couple of teams hopes for the playoffs.

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Might want to pump the brakes there. The 5 absolute dumpster fire teams in your conference will undoubtedly come back to haunt a couple of teams hopes for the playoffs.

Nowhere did it say they made the playoffs. Just how many wins. I firmly believe 7-4 CAA teams are going to be sweating it out & probably out on selection Sunday.

KPSUL
October 30th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Updated to reflect Massey rating changes from yesterday after it predicted the winner in each game correctly yesterday.

Massey Final Standings
1. Richmond 10-1; 7-1
2. Villanova 9-2; 7-1
3. UNH 8-3; 7-1
4.James Madison 8-3; 6-2
5. Stony Brook 7-4; 6-2
6. Albany 7-4; 4-4
7. Maine 5-6; 4-4

If this unlikely scenario were to occur, the CAA will get only 4 teams in; who could they pick among the 7-4 teams if none has the acronym UNH?

UNHWildcat18
October 30th, 2016, 07:25 PM

A little harsh eh? two of the 5 play teams close, just cant win. SIU is just like a W&M and UD. I'll still give you Elon URI and Towson are dumpster fires though xlolx

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2016, 08:57 PM
I have little doubt that JMU will beat URI. However, URI has been improving and I would be reluctant to take JMU and give 31 points.
I think it will be a two, maybe three, TD game.

xdrunkyx

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Massey predictions for week 10:

Richmond 40 James Madison 37 58%

Albany 24 Delaware 10 84%

Villanova 20 Maine 13 68%

Stony Brook 21 William & Mary 14 71%

Home teams in bold.

Gangtackle11
October 31st, 2016, 07:55 AM
Here is Massey rankings of strength of schedules for CAA contenders. Not much to complain about overall.

Maine 168th
Villanova 173rd
Stony Brook 174th
Richmond 176th
Albany 191st
UNH 194th
James Madison 198th

* rankings include FBS/FCS teams.
** all games included.

Gangtackle11
November 10th, 2016, 06:10 AM
Massey predictions for this weekend: