PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern has some scary good players..

BigSouthFan
October 22nd, 2016, 07:10 PM
Drove down to Charleston to see my alma mater Presbyterian play Charleston Southern tonight, and take in the city some after. Hoped to see a better game but didn't expect it. It's 28-3 early in the 3rd and PC can't get the ball past midfield.

1st off, #24 Hammond is a beast. He's crazy elusive, both carrying the ball and returning kicks. Never goes down on the first guy. Easily one of the best backs in FCS Football. Can see why he was preseason POY in the conference and on watch for National POY.

2nd, #6 Holloway is actually the better of the two backs pure talent and speed wise, great nose for the end zone.

3rd, #84 Kameron Brown is a big play WR standing at 6'3, he's been making huge plays every game this season, including his first ever college game against NDSU, redshirt freshman ladies and gentlemen.

4th, #10 Mitchell, the backup QB. Helped secure the win against Coastal with 3 total TD's, 2 rushing, and has 2 rushing TD's tonight including a 70+ yarder tonight. Kid is HUGE. Don't know why he isn't starting.

The whole defense is solid, but #8 is the lone standout to me. DE Anthony Ellis. He's been wrecking shop all year, terrorizing QB's, making huge plays, and showing that his name in the conversation for National DPOY was no mistake, and neither was him getting preseason DPOY in the conference.

All in all, even though it's against my poor Blue Hose, this is my first time seeing CSU in person and they look darn good. Sound everywhere, not too many mistakes nor penalties, aggressive play calling to big time playmakers. I think they will make a lot of noise in this years FCS playoffs. Just my take.

Libertine
October 22nd, 2016, 07:21 PM
Helped secure the win against NDSU

xeyebrowx

The what now?

BigSouthFan
October 22nd, 2016, 07:25 PM
xeyebrowx

The what now?
Sorry, meant to say Coastal.

centennial
October 22nd, 2016, 07:28 PM
xeyebrowx

The what now?

Triggered.

BigSouthFan
October 22nd, 2016, 08:36 PM
Final 38-3.

citdog
October 22nd, 2016, 09:57 PM
the baptist college has some players who can't spell scary??? we ALL knew that.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
October 22nd, 2016, 10:20 PM
Drove down to Charleston to see my alma mater Presbyterian play Charleston Southern tonight, and take in the city some after. Hoped to see a better game but didn't expect it. It's 28-3 early in the 3rd and PC can't get the ball past midfield.

1st off, #24 Hammond is a beast. He's crazy elusive, both carrying the ball and returning kicks. Never goes down on the first guy. Easily one of the best backs in FCS Football. Can see why he was preseason POY in the conference and on watch for National POY.

2nd, #6 Holloway is actually the better of the two backs pure talent and speed wise, great nose for the end zone.

3rd, #84 Kameron Brown is a big play WR standing at 6'3, he's been making huge plays every game this season, including his first ever college game against NDSU, redshirt freshman ladies and gentlemen.

4th, #10 Mitchell, the backup QB. Helped secure the win against Coastal with 3 total TD's, 2 rushing, and has 2 rushing TD's tonight including a 70+ yarder tonight. Kid is HUGE. Don't know why he isn't starting.

The whole defense is solid, but #8 is the lone standout to me. DE Anthony Ellis. He's been wrecking shop all year, terrorizing QB'a, making huge plays, and showing that his name in the conversation for National DPOY was no mistake, and neither was him getting preseason DPOY in the conference.

All in all, even though it's against my poor Blue Hose, this is my first time seeing CSU in person and they look darn good. Sound everywhere, not too many mistakes nor penalties, aggressive play calling to big time playmakers. I think they will make a lot of noise in this years FCS playoffs. Just my take.

Glad he's a classy guy! Does he make them take him out to dinner first??

jsnow84
October 23rd, 2016, 10:56 AM

The whole defense is solid, but #8 is the lone standout to me. DE Anthony Ellis. He's been wrecking shop all year, terrorizing QB's, making huge plays, and showing that his name in the conversation for National DPOY was no mistake, and neither was him getting preseason DPOY in the conference.

Maybe we can get the other fan's take on the game as well. :)

Bucs2016
October 23rd, 2016, 03:15 PM
How did you like the city? Charleston is...BY FAR...the #1 recruiting tool for CSU. I played there early 2000s and we joked that we were the unofficial football team of the College of Charleston. We spent all our free time downtown. And why not. It's like 5 to 1 girl/guy. And the...um...Trump style rating would say the girls probably average like an 8 in Charleston! Insanity! The food is 2nd to NO ONE outside of major metros like New York City or LA. Simply insane how many outstanding restaurants there for a city that's not that big.

And the beaches...incredible. If CSU had any kind of stadium or funding watch out...bc if they did...combined with that city to recruit to...perennial top 10 team.

As for the 2016 team, yes, they're very good. CSU had always been that team with some good individual talent but just couldn't put it all together for numerous reasons. Seems the Bucs have found a way haha! I'm a little worried about the 3 weeks without a game. Liberty will be a big challenge and by then we won't have faced a roster with that size and speed since October 1st (no offense to PC, GWU or Bucknell but they are down right now).

citdog
October 23rd, 2016, 03:18 PM
How did you like the city? Charleston is...BY FAR...the #1 recruiting tool for CSU. I played there early 2000s and we joked that we were the unofficial football team of the College of Charleston. We spent all our free time downtown. And why not. It's like 5 to 1 girl/guy. And the...um...Trump style rating would say the girls probably average like an 8 in Charleston! Insanity! The food is 2nd to NO ONE outside of major metros like New York City or LA. Simply insane how many outstanding restaurants there for a city that's not that big.

And the beaches...incredible. If CSU had any kind of stadium or funding watch out...bc if they did...combined with that city to recruit to...perennial top 10 team.

As for the 2016 team, yes, they're very good. CSU had always been that team with some good individual talent but just couldn't put it all together for numerous reasons. Seems the Bucs have found a way haha! I'm a little worried about the 3 weeks without a game. Liberty will be a big challenge and by then we won't have faced a roster with that size and speed since October 1st (no offense to PC, GWU or Bucknell but they are down right now).

you are NOT located in Charleston.

Bucs2016
October 23rd, 2016, 03:23 PM
Keeping QBs healthy has always been CSUs Achilles Heel to get over the hump. NOW they are rolling...with the help of the depth that the full funding gave them.

I remember the 2000 team had a great defense and Oklahoma transfer Jake Sills, who started at OU a few games. He went down and they end up 5-6. Lost to Samford in overtime 10-7 I think. Would've been first winning season but no quality depth.
The 2002 team had All Big South QB Darren Swiggett. They were probably a 7 or 8 win team but he goes down early season and they end up 4-8. Again no depth.

Many positions were the same. Good starters. Maybe some good 2nd team guys at spots. No depth.

In 2004 they FINALLY went from 35 to the full 65 scholarships and the rest is history. 2 Big South Championships (2005, 2015) and program is rolling with just a hiccup around 2011/2012 as Jay Mills kinda drifted into retirement.

It's really fun to watch. A lot of blood sweat and tears by former players trying to get CSU over that hump. To see them not only get over it but SOAR over it....really fun.

BigSouthFan
October 23rd, 2016, 03:26 PM

Finally a response that matched the topic, ha.

I enjoyed it! I went to Stars Rooftop Bar and Grill on King Street after the game. Great food and yes, beautiful women! Stayed at the Francis Marion hotel. Downtown is a short drive from CSU and boy it's worth it! Charleston and Savannah boasts some of the best food in America.

As for your boys, I believe they will be okay. They just needed to see some live action and work the rust out. Bucknell though not super talented, will bring down some big solid boys and really challenge CSU to be physical, even though I fully expect you all to run over them by 3 or 4 TDs at the end of the day. I don't see you guys losing a league game.

Bucs2016
October 23rd, 2016, 03:32 PM
you are NOT located in Charleston.

Really? This again? CSU is in Charleston County, in the city of North Charleston. I don't know why Citadel folks get so sensitive about this. Did you know the University of Miami is actually in Coral Gables? Or that the NY Jets and Giants...actually play in New Jersey?

There's a thing called "Metro Areas" that the US Census does. The Charleston Metro Area. Look it up. Many many many many schools, businesses, orgs, etc, identify with the large metro area they're in or near even if they aren't in the municipality carrying the namesake of the metro area.

In short....get over it.

citdog
October 23rd, 2016, 03:38 PM
Really? This again? CSU is in Charleston County, in the city of North Charleston. I don't know why Citadel folks get so sensitive about this. Did you know the University of Miami is actually in Coral Gables? Or that the NY Jets and Giants...actually play in New Jersey?

There's a thing called "Metro Areas" that the US Census does. The Charleston Metro Area. Look it up. Many many many many schools, businesses, orgs, etc, identify with the large metro area they're in or near even if they aren't in the municipality carrying the namesake of the metro area.

In short....get over it.

ladson southern university

it's been an insult for 100 years to say to someone that "you are from North Charleston"

Bucs2016
October 23rd, 2016, 03:42 PM
Finally a response that matched the topic, ha.

I enjoyed it! I went to Stars Rooftop Bar and Grill on King Street after the game. Great food and yes, beautiful women! Stayed at the Francis Marion hotel. Downtown is a short drive from CSU and boy it's worth it! Charleston and Savannah boasts some of the best food in America.

As for your boys, I believe they will be okay. They just needed to see some live action and work the rust out. Bucknell though not super talented, will bring down some big solid boys and really challenge CSU to be physical, even though I fully expect you all to run over them by 3 or 4 TDs at the end of the day. I don't see you guys losing a league game.

I hope so. I've heard Bucknell is very physical. We'll need it vs Liberty. Lynchburg is tough. We've only won there 2x...ever. 2000 and 2014.

You picked some fine choices to go to downtown. That place is incredible all over.

As for PC...I remember when PC was D2 and had Todd Cunningham. They were very good. As good as half the FCS teams back then. I know PC can and will get where they need to be in time.

Bucs2016
October 23rd, 2016, 03:45 PM
ladson southern university

it's been an insult for 100 years to say to someone that "you are from North Charleston"

Wow has it?? An insult for 100 years? The Citadel needs to brush up its math and civics education because North Charleston has only existed since 1972. Not 1916 for 100 years. CSU was founded in 1967...5 years before the City of North Charleston existed. Ooops. But then again....The Citadel has always tended to produce some guys who think it's still 1861 so your sense of time may be warped a bit.

That 4 losses in a row to us obviously struck a nerve. We're gonna see yall in the playoffs and make it 5.

citdog
October 23rd, 2016, 03:51 PM
Wow has it?? An insult for 100 years? The Citadel needs to brush up its math and civics education because North Charleston has only existed since 1972. Not 1916 for 100 years. Ooops. But then again....The Citadel has always tended to produce some guys who think it's still 1861 so you're sense of time may be warped a bit.

That 4 losses in a row to us obviously struck a nerve. We're gonna see yall in the playoffs and make it 5.

yep. you are right. not a single trailer home for white trash existed in the north area before 1972. the navy base and spruill ave, where most ladson southern chicks ply their avocation nightly, just sprang up in '72.

you are irrelevant in the Lowcountry.

Bucs2016
October 23rd, 2016, 03:59 PM
yep. you are right. not a single trailer home for white trash existed in the north area before 1972. the navy base and spruill ave, where most ladson southern chicks ply their avocation nightly, just sprang up in '72.

you are irrelevant in the Lowcountry.

Ah. Classy response from a fine Citadel man I see. Well...relevant in Lowcountry how? With headlines? I mean...we aren't covering for child rapists like Citadel has. We don't have our starting football players committing armed robbery and kidnapping against their own coaches like Citadel has. We aren't proudly flying the Confederate flag as if 1861 was last season...like Citadel has. We don't have our students dressing up like KKK members then playing it off as "Christmas ghosts" like you guys have.

So yeah we aren't in the headlines much for anything other than being a fairly decent place to go to college, producing graduates who go on to nice lives in nursing, teaching, law enforcement; Oh...and now winning a whole lot of football games.

But hey...you're right. The Citadel is MUCH more likely to end up on Page 1 of the Post and Courier for SOMETHING before CSU will. And we're just fine with that.

citdog
October 23rd, 2016, 04:09 PM
Ah. Classy response from a fine Citadel man I see. Well...relevant in Lowcountry how? With headlines? I mean...we aren't covering for child rapists like Citadel has. We don't have our starting football players committing armed robbery and kidnapping against their own coaches like Citadel has. We aren't proudly flying the Confederate flag as if 1861 was last season...like Citadel has. We don't have our students dressing up like KKK members then playing it off as "Christmas ghosts" like you guys have.

So yeah we aren't in the headlines much for anything other than being a fairly decent place to go to college, producing graduates who go on to nice lives in nursing, teaching, law enforcement; Oh...and now winning a whole lot of football games.

But hey...you're right. The Citadel is MUCH more likely to end up on Page 1 of the Post and Courier for SOMETHING before CSU will. And we're just fine with that.

see #1 Public College in the South.

see APR for athletes

nothing wrong with the Flag being where it is. SC Law says so.

ravali case dismissed

got headphones???

Bucs2016
October 23rd, 2016, 07:15 PM
see #1 Public College in the South.

see APR for athletes

nothing wrong with the Flag being where it is. SC Law says so.

ravali case dismissed

got headphones???

Yawn. You mean Skip Reville? Oh there was more than 1 child rapist Citadel harbored.

The rebel flag flying in 2016? Really? It isn't 1861 Bulldogs. Move on.

Bucs2016
October 23rd, 2016, 07:17 PM
But Citadel does receive high public school awards. Can't deny them that. Great recognition for the military - themed college on the peninsula.

CSU18
October 24th, 2016, 10:28 AM

You're wasting your time with this one. They're so bitter it's not even funny. Had a football program for all those years, lose 4 straight to us, now they're "National Contenders" (which I'm not 100% sold on), and they get their panties in a wad anytime CSU is mentioned.

Bucs2016
October 24th, 2016, 11:36 AM
You're wasting your time with this one. They're so bitter it's not even funny. Had a football program for all those years, lose 4 straight to us, now they're "National Contenders" (which I'm not 100% sold on), and they get their panties in a wad anytime CSU is mentioned.

Yep that sums it up. For guys who are so disciplined to "brace" under stress....they lose their sh** anytime CSU comes up. You can have Citadel guys standing firm under the intensity of the most ferocious Corp of Cadets cadre. But a 5th string CSU scout teamer can smile at em and they fold like Shannon Faulkner haha.