PDA

View Full Version : Longest D-I winning streak now belongs to

HiHiYikas
January 9th, 2007, 04:04 PM
App State. Maybe this has been pointed out in the 'other sports' section of the board, but it is worth mentioning that, with Ohio State's loss to Florida, the longest in-tact winning streak in Division I football is Appalachian's 14 games.

This isn't exactly the stuff of fruitful discussion, but it's a nice FYI piece for ASU and FCS fans.

http://goasu.com/article/10266/?fSession=062bc7b4e2e62aee43c2541a7661734263fb0fa7

spelunker64
January 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM
It's nice that the ASU boosters forked out 10s of $$$ for that nice looking sign...

crunifan
January 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I find it amusing that the school's football championship makes the TOWN's welcome sign. Boone really must be small...

AppGuy04
January 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I find it amusing that the school's football championship makes the TOWN's welcome sign. Boone really must be small...

The enrollment is larger than the population of the town

Mountaineer
January 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Can't be much worse than driving into Cedar Falls from Waterloo and taking the stripmall infested University Ave, or coming in from Hudson Rd and seeing a bunch of cornfields and a Target distribution center welcoming you to the Cedar Valley. :thumbsup:

Lots of cities and towns have signs like this - ever been through Atlanta?

BigApp
January 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM
is it Cedar Falls that smells like Crunchberries the 2nd Tuesday of every month?

CSUBUCDAD
January 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Heck, down south here just about every town is small and has a sign announcing the crowns it's high school and college teams have received on the city limit signs.

Seven Would Be Nice
January 9th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Heck, down south here just about every town is small and has a sign announcing the crowns it's high school and college teams have received on the city limit signs.

Statesboro's city limit sign says "Statesboro High School AAAA Football Champions 2001 & 2004"
It looks like a green DOT generic sign, nothing like that one for boone.

I don't think it even mentions GSU except when you exit off the interstate 10 miles away.

crunifan
January 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
is it Cedar Falls that smells like Crunchberries the 2nd Tuesday of every month?

That would be Cedar Rapids. Cedar Rapids has Quaker Oats which makes the world's supply of Cap'n Crunch.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/BrandoJac/CFsign.jpg

Mountaineer,

Waterloo is a gang infested, disgsuting, economically depressed city that we do not call our own. That may be a tad harsh, but Waterloo and Cedar Falls are VERY different cities. Cedar Falls on the other hand, is a very nice town with a thriving downtown and other very nice areas.

Hudson is lined with brand new housing developments, the Pipac Center (seen below) and repainted water tower, Prairie Lakes Park, and the industrial park! Yes, that Target Distribution Center is still there. :nod: xlolx
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/BrandoJac/main_building2.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/BrandoJac/tower.jpg

HiHiYikas
January 9th, 2007, 08:58 PM
This isn't exactly the stuff of fruitful discussion...
Looks like I was right on target, but if the thread wants to be about stuff like populations and signs...

The signs are to NC DOT specifications, and are 'semi-permanent' fixtures expected to remain in place for three to four years. They are not the only "Welcome to Boone" signs posted at town limits. They were presented last January at a National Championship celebration in Boone. The one in my rarely-used signature is actually at Kidd Brewer Stadium, an appropriate spot but not at the town limits. It was photographed about 24 hours after the signs became outdated, and a fan decided to humorously make the update.

The approximate ratio of people to national championships in Boone is about 6800 to 1. When residents realize that there are bigger cities out there, with nicer town limit signs and no national championships, a wave of shame sweeps over them.

appfan2008
January 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Yes it is a sad sign but it was just made temporarily because we knew we would have to get a new one after the this season!!!!!!!!!

crunifan
January 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Hey, what else is there to do in the off-season?

Appalachian State has joined us in the world of this living as far as basketball goes though!:nod:

I expect things will get even more "interesting" as winter wears on.:p

Fordham
January 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Same goes for up north, csu. There are plenty of small towns in the suburbs of NYC that have similar signs up for their local HS or even Little League teams who have had significant state wide wins.

lizrdgizrd
January 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Same goes for up north, csu. There are plenty of small towns in the suburbs of NYC that have similar signs up for their local HS or even Little League teams who have had significant state wide wins.
We think we're so different, but we're really all the same....

Cum Bah Ya anyone? xlolx

Appaholic
January 10th, 2007, 09:22 AM
The approximate ratio of people to national championships in Boone is about 6800 to 1. When residents realize that there are bigger cities out there, with nicer town limit signs and no national championships, a wave of shame sweeps over them.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx :hurray: :thumbsup:

proasu89
January 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
The approximate ratio of people to national championships in Boone is about 6800 to 1. When residents realize that there are bigger cities out there, with nicer town limit signs and no national championships, a wave of shame sweeps over them.

:thumbsup: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx :hurray: :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]
I feel a little bit of shame even as I type.

Yikas, thanks for the laugh. :smiley_wi

bobcatfan06
January 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm just glad to see Texas State isn't the only major state university with a watertower painted with the school logo...I hate it...looks so high schoolish.

http://static.flickr.com/2/1417474_dc703c05b4_m.jpg

crunifan
January 10th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I'm just glad to see Texas State isn't the only major state university with a watertower painted with the school logo...I hate it...looks so high schoolish.

http://static.flickr.com/2/1417474_dc703c05b4_m.jpg

I'm actually a fan of our water tower. I like it when schools do that. Just a personal preference though.

BigApp
January 10th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I think the water tower is kinda cool. Doesn't Oklahoma have one too?

crunifan
January 10th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I think a few schools have them.

I know down in Iowa City, a few fans were jealous when UNI painted our logos on it. Iowa has a water tower directly next to Kinnick Stadium and the U of I Hospitals and Clinics and they have wanted that thing painted black and gold forever.

The water tower is there, might as well make it look better! :thumbsup:

SoCon48
January 11th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Hey, what else is there to do in the off-season?

Appalachian State has joined us in the world of this living as far as basketball goes though!:nod:

I expect things will get even more "interesting" as winter wears on.:p

Snow skiing for one.

SoCon48
January 11th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Glad you didn't use another kind of "berries" in your quip.xlolx

SoCon48
January 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM
It's nice that the ASU boosters forked out 10s of $$$ for that nice looking sign...

Actually boosters forked out a million in scholarship money to help build the winning programs. The sign's cost was negligible.:rolleyes:

SoCon48
January 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM

xlolx Compared to the metropolis of Cedar Falls? Population 36,175? Home of ? national championships.

Yep, Boone is only 13,472 and around 29,000 including the university. Home of 2 national championships. Consecutive, BTW.:rolleyes:

crunifan
January 11th, 2007, 09:43 AM
xlolx Compared to the metropolis of Cedar Falls? Population 36,175? Home of ? national championships.

Yep, Boone is only 13,472 and around 29,000 including the university. Home of 2 national championships. Consecutive, BTW.:rolleyes:

xlolx

Did you need four seperate posts to defend Boone?

First of, the Cedar Falls metro is over 120,000. Waterloo/Cedar Falls isn't huge, but it's not podunk town either.

Second, get you facts straight before you throw something out. UNI has infact won a national championship. It was for wrestling, and while it was awhile ago (and for a sport you probably don't care about) it still counts. So settle down, cheif!

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 09:58 AM
xlolx

Did you need four seperate posts to defend Boone?

First of, the Cedar Falls metro is over 120,000. Waterloo/Cedar Falls isn't huge, but it's not podunk town either.

Second, get you facts straight before you throw something out. UNI has infact won a national championship. It was for wrestling, and while it was awhile ago (and for a sport you probably don't care about) it still counts. So settle down, cheif!
technically we've also got a 2X NCAA Champion track star. But we won't go into that here...

KiddBrewer
January 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM
the sign in the picture is not the welcome sign into town, its beside the stadium to remind the other team when they arrive on the bus where they are. As for the paper "& 2006", ha i think its funny, we'll for sure be gettin a new sign here soon. As well as a new sign for every entrance into the county, new signs for the scoreboard, visitor side box, home side, and ofcourse, a new sign for the official Appalachian State University sign at the entrance to campus. so we got a lil bit of pride, shoot us.

Blueandwhitefightfight
January 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM
the sign in the picture is not the welcome sign into town, its beside the stadium to remind the other team when they arrive on the bus where they are. As for the paper "& 2006", ha i think its funny, we'll for sure be gettin a new sign here soon. As well as a new sign for every entrance into the county, new signs for the scoreboard, visitor side box, home side, and ofcourse, a new sign for the official Appalachian State University sign at the entrance to campus. so we got a lil bit of pride, shoot us.

May I use Yosef's gun to do the honors?? :D

I guess I can't be jealous of your sign too much. Afterall, we had to get a seperate flag pole because we ran out of room on the first one. :D

I just hope next year I can go back up to Boone like I did during freshman year (last year) and see the team with more flags pull off an upset.

crunifan
January 12th, 2007, 01:42 AM
I don't think people get it...

I give up.