PDA

View Full Version : 30 Years Ago...

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2016, 01:46 AM
Montana had recently finished construction on a nice little 12,000 seat stadium. Here are some pics in case you wanted to see it. A friend of mine recollects walking by it at one point going to class and saying "What the hell, how do they think they are gonna fill that hole (soon to be stadium) up?!"

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/photos-washington-grizzly-stadium-construction/collection_304ef10d-00a4-51dd-a06e-1267a1773822.html#25

dewey
October 20th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Good stufff. Thanks for sharing. I scrolled down after seeing the photos and viewed a slide show titled "the evolution of Washington Grizzly Stadium". More good stuff.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/the-evolution-of-washington-grizzly-stadium/html_b42018e2-8b3f-53a7-adb3-a0dff5987510.html

If FCS fans out there haven't been to Washington Grizzly Stadium I highly recommend it.

It is my third favorite place to watch a college football game.

Dewey

Sader87
October 20th, 2016, 11:24 AM
On the flip-side, 30 years ago Holy Cross was on the top of the heap in the 1-AA world and now are an after-thought at best.

Bison56
October 20th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Montana had recently finished construction on a nice little 12,000 seat stadium. Here are some pics in case you wanted to see it. A friend of mine recollects walking by it at one point going to class and saying "What the hell, how do they think they are gonna fill that hole (soon to be stadium) up?!"

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/photos-washington-grizzly-stadium-construction/collection_304ef10d-00a4-51dd-a06e-1267a1773822.html#25

Cool, thanks for sharing.

MR. CHICKEN
October 20th, 2016, 11:56 AM
.....LOOKS LIKE....UH OUTPOST......TA REFRESH....DUH SLED DOGS.......IT'S HOW AH REMEMBER IT.....WHEN DUH HENS......CAME HOME......WHIFF UH FUR COAT......GAME WAS BROADCAST BACK EAST......TUBBY SAID...DUH TUNDRA...WAS SO HARD....."IT WAS LIKE PLAYIN' ON I-95"....OURAH QB...LEO HAMLETT......CAUGHT UH SHOE ON FIRE.......TRYIN' TA WARM UP DUH EXTREMITIES......NICE BACK-DROP....ICONIC MOUNTAIN....BEHIND DUH STADIUM........OWN-LAH ONE BETTERAH.....HOLLYWOOD HILL........BROCK...xoopsx.........ER...BRAWK!

nevadagriz
October 20th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Lots of great memories at ol WA Griz. One of the best was the fans stacking cups on the SHSU players helmets during the playoff game. The time the SFA qb stayed out the night before the game and drank with griz fans (threw like 6 ints next day) Watching southern teams walk down to the frozen river to play on the Ice. The Comeback against SDSU and The two epic playoff games against APPY!

DFW HOYA
October 20th, 2016, 12:28 PM
On the flip-side, 30 years ago Holy Cross was on the top of the heap in the 1-AA world and now are an after-thought at best.

That 1986 team played at tradition-rich places like Michie Stadium, Harvard Stadium and Cary Field, and won them all. Did anyone dream that HC would one day be playing at places like Jack Coffey and Multi-Sport Field?

AshevilleApp2
October 20th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Was it loud, and was it cold? :)

Schism55
October 20th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Good stufff. Thanks for sharing. I scrolled down after seeing the photos and viewed a slide show titled "the evolution of Washington Grizzly Stadium". More good stuff.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/the-evolution-of-washington-grizzly-stadium/html_b42018e2-8b3f-53a7-adb3-a0dff5987510.html

If FCS fans out there haven't been to Washington Grizzly Stadium I highly recommend it.

It is my third favorite place to watch a college football game.

Dewey
Absolutely, a must visit for any real college football fan.
Top 10 for this guy.
Been lucky enough to be in the building for a huge Bison win :)

caribbeanhen
October 20th, 2016, 05:42 PM
a great setting for FCS football for sure, that Appy game several years ago had some juice to it.... felt like a big time game

30 years.... wow
I gotta song for 10 year - 10 years gone by Led Zep
20 years = it was 20 years ago today that Sgt Pepper taught the Band to play

but 30 years? .... let me get back on this one

CrunchGriz
October 20th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Was it loud, and was it cold? :)

It definitely was for both App State games! Both classics.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Glad I had the opportunity to attend a game there! I'll get back one day!

Go...gate
October 20th, 2016, 08:27 PM
That 1986 team played at tradition-rich places like Michie Stadium, Harvard Stadium and Cary Field, and won them all. Did anyone dream that HC would one day be playing at places like Jack Coffey and Multi-Sport Field?

Played BC on ABC television, too.

JALMOND
October 20th, 2016, 08:33 PM

Some of us old timers here can remember going to games at Dornblazer. My first game at Wash-Griz, I was thinking quite an improvement for sure.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 20th, 2016, 09:13 PM
30 years ago Stony Brook was the Patriots, not the Seawolves, were Division III, and was a campus full of nerds ... well one thing hasn't changed.

Schism55
October 20th, 2016, 09:48 PM
30 years ago Stony Brook was the Patriots, not the Seawolves, were Division III, and was a campus full of nerds ... well one thing hasn't changed.
Thats an odd nickname change...know the story behind that?

Daytripper
October 21st, 2016, 07:29 AM
Today....Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play....

AmsterBison
October 21st, 2016, 08:36 AM
1986 Bison team won a national championship. Undefeated with a 5 touchdown average margin of victory. That was a pretty good year.

ST_Lawson
October 21st, 2016, 08:45 AM
Today....Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play....

At first I was like "you're drunk, Sgt. Pepper came out a lot longer than 20 or 30 years ago".
And then I was like..."oh....hehe....yea....I'm an idiot."

Now I'm going to go listen to some Beatles, maybe Sgt. Pepper, which will actually be 50 years old next June.

bostonspider
October 21st, 2016, 09:20 AM
Thirty years ago Richmond was still hosting the likes of Virginia Tech..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPcMbjZR360

Kabooom
October 21st, 2016, 09:50 AM
Of Note: MSU's Jan Stensrud set a NCAA record at the time with around a 55 or 56 yard field goal back in about 1965 or 66 at the old Dornblazer Stadium to beat the Griz. Unfortunately for the Griz, the Cats would have their number for the next 20 years...
The bleeding stopped immediately thereafter when the new Wa.-Griz was built in 1986.

Definite proof of what a new facility can do for a program.

Schism55
October 21st, 2016, 11:49 AM
1986 Bison team won a national championship. Undefeated with a 5 touchdown average margin of victory. That was a pretty good year.
I was at everyone of those games. Probably the best Bison team of all time.
The O and D lines just mauled people.
Great memories. Go Bison!

Thumper 76
October 21st, 2016, 12:11 PM
A friend of mine recollects walking by it at one point going to class and saying "What the hell, how do they think they are gonna fill that hole (soon to be stadium) up?!"
Really interesting timing to read this with what all the bison fans are saying about the DJD now xlolx.

Really cool to see the beginnings of an extremely storied place, a place I tend to think of as the Lambeau of the FCS.

Twentysix
October 21st, 2016, 03:18 PM

good stuff

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2016, 03:19 PM
Oh look, it's another NDSU thread...xcoffeex

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2016, 05:26 PM
and Navy came to Newark to take there annual flogging

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2016, 05:30 PM
just saw the Billy Buckner Mookie Wilson commercial....pretty good.... and it was 30 years ago now..

MTfan4life
October 21st, 2016, 06:45 PM
Thirty years ago, two Sun Belt members played in the most poorly attended National Championship game. For some reason, Tacoma, Washington thought it'd be a good idea to bid for the NC for a two-year run. Of course that was the period where teams from the far southeast seemed to be in the title every year, so it didn't really work. Only 4,419 people saw Georgia Southern rough up Arkansas St. 48-21. Nevada-Reno and Eastern Kentucky were the other two teams in the final four. The quarterfinal losers were Tennessee State, Nicholls State, Delaware, and Eastern Illinois. The rest of the playoff field included: Idaho, Jackson State, North Carolina A&T, Appalachian State, Sam Houston State, William & Mary, Murray State, and Furman.

I-AA Fan
October 22nd, 2016, 12:30 AM
30 years ago YSU hired this man:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23739&stc=1

veinup
October 22nd, 2016, 01:52 AM
great pictures.

many a drunken saturday spent there in my earlier years, i miss it. hope to get back home for a game one day.

Schism55
October 22nd, 2016, 03:03 AM
30 years ago YSU hired this man:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23739&stc=1

And many a scandal was enjoyed/endured by all! xdrunkyx

Gil Dobie
October 22nd, 2016, 08:40 AM

No seating around the entire field.

Not a Stadium at the time.

Thumper 76
October 22nd, 2016, 08:48 AM

Good catch!

veinup
October 22nd, 2016, 11:03 AM

my mind is blown, my head is in my hands ..

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 22nd, 2016, 12:26 PM
Thats an odd nickname change...know the story behind that?

As a Division III team there was ZERO student/community interest in the athletics program, so when we went Division I, the idea was to rebrand it with a mascot and new color scheme and everything, which I think was a good decision. Around here people hear Patriots and they think Tom Brady and company, who play right across the sound from here.

grizband
October 22nd, 2016, 12:45 PM
my mind is blown, my head is in my hands ..
Washington Grizzly...(not a) Stadium!

Thumper 76
October 22nd, 2016, 12:52 PM
Washington Grizzly...(formerly not a) Stadium!
FIFY

grizband
October 22nd, 2016, 12:55 PM
Washington Grizzly...(not a) Stadium!

FIFY
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Thumper 76 again.