PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference Officials Change Rules DURING Season

BEAR
October 19th, 2016, 08:30 AM
What the heck? xeyebrowx Southland Conference officials have taken to the practice of redefining rules as the season goes on. From coach Campbell in an article he clearly states that conference officials have been contacting the coaches with new definitions of established rules.

He said coaches are regularly getting emails from conference officials that adjust how rules are interpreted and being enforced.
“It used to be that the rule book was set in stone; now it is constantly tweaked during the season,” he said. “The targeting rule before the season read leading with the crown of the helmet. Well, what is the crown? That has been updated that the crown is considered the facemask up. If we are being informed of the interpretations, the officials are also being told. And they are being graded. If something happens that is questionable, they are going to throw the flag.
“Because of safety, the rules have gotten more and more stringent and we’re just going to have to study more how to coach our players on what to do.”

http://thecabin.net/sports/2016-10-17/ucas-victory-over-mcneese-sweet-one-after-last-seasons-frustration#.WAdxF_krLcs

I wondered about that when one of our players was ejected for targeting and the replay showed there was no crown to crown contact. Our defender even had his arms wrapped around the receiver and never left his feet. It looked like a good open field tackle. I'll see if I can get the video of it. No biggie, but what I object to is the conference changing the rules or interpretation of the rules during the season. If it can't be clearly defined before the season leaving doubt as how it can be called then don't make it a rule or use last year's interpretation. Good grief.

BEAR
October 19th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Oh wow...from the NCAA football rules site: Apparently the replay official can "CREATE" a targeting penalty if the on-field officials miss it.

“Targeting ARTICLE 5. a. The replay official shall review all targeting fouls, Rules 9-1-3 and 9-1-4. The review includes all aspects of the targeting foul to ascertain whether there is at least one indicator of targeting action (Note 1 to Rules 9-1-3 and 4), and: 1. Whether the crown of the helmet is used to make forcible contact (Rule 9-1-3);OR 2. Whether there is forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (Rules 9-1-4 and Rule 2-27-14).b. The replay official may create a targeting foul only in egregious instances in which afoul is not called by the officials on the field. Such a review may not be initiated by a coach’s challenge.”Comments: Gives the instant replay official expanded flexibility to review all aspects of a targeting ruling. Also calls upon the instant replay official to make a ruling of targeting when an egregious targeting action goes undetected by the on-field officials.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016PRMFB_NCAA_Football_Rules_Changes_Final_201604 18.pdf

McNeese75
October 19th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I wondered about that when one of our players was ejected for targeting and the replay showed there was no crown to crown contact. Our defender even had his arms wrapped around the receiver and never left his feet. It looked like a good open field tackle. I'll see if I can get the video of it. No biggie, but what I object to is the conference changing the rules or interpretation of the rules during the season. If it can't be clearly defined before the season leaving doubt as how it can be called then don't make it a rule or use last year's interpretation. Good grief. [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

I actually thought the call was for celebration when they threw the flag and did not think it was targeting either. But I was not sad to see #9 exit the game, lol (Not that it mattered)

BEAR
October 19th, 2016, 09:29 AM
I actually thought the call was for celebration when they threw the flag and did not think it was targeting either. But I was not sad to see #9 exit the game, lol (Not that it mattered)

I thought that too! His teammate came over and patted him on the head a few times. It was a good open field tackle with very little head contact, probably just facemask brushing by the other players helmet. He even had his arms wrapped around the McNeese player's body and never left the ground. No biggie. But what i'm worried about is the power the SLC is giving officials to "redefine" what the rules are during the game. If it's targeting in one game and it happens in another game they can simply change the rule's interpretation and say it isn't. That may cost the game for a team.

McNeese75
October 19th, 2016, 09:54 AM
I thought that too! His teammate came over and patted him on the head a few times. It was a good open field tackle with very little head contact, probably just facemask brushing by the other players helmet. He even had his arms wrapped around the McNeese player's body and never left the ground. No biggie. But what i'm worried about is the power the SLC is giving officials to "redefine" what the rules are during the game. If it's targeting in one game and it happens in another game they can simply change the rule's interpretation and say it isn't. That may cost the game for a team.

Nothing new here. SLC officiating is always a new strange world every Saturday night (and has been for years).

walliver
October 19th, 2016, 10:01 AM
It is better to "clarify" the rules than play a season with vague and poorly defined rules that can be interpreted differently by each crew.

The whole "targeting" issue has gotten out of hand. Maybe the NCAA should just ban dangerous passing routes that put receivers at risk.

McNeese72
October 19th, 2016, 11:03 AM
What the heck? xeyebrowx Southland Conference officials have taken to the practice of redefining rules as the season goes on. From coach Campbell in an article he clearly states that conference officials have been contacting the coaches with new definitions of established rules.

http://thecabin.net/sports/2016-10-17/ucas-victory-over-mcneese-sweet-one-after-last-seasons-frustration#.WAdxF_krLcs

I wondered about that when one of our players was ejected for targeting and the replay showed there was no crown to crown contact. Our defender even had his arms wrapped around the receiver and never left his feet. It looked like a good open field tackle. I'll see if I can get the video of it. No biggie, but what I object to is the conference changing the rules or interpretation of the rules during the season. If it can't be clearly defined before the season leaving doubt as how it can be called then don't make it a rule or use last year's interpretation. Good grief. [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

I was watching on TV and thought that targeting call was a bull**** call.

Doc

Libertine
October 20th, 2016, 07:51 AM
It's not the Southland, it's the NCAA

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17679366/ncaa-issues-two-rules-interpretations-targeting-fouls-clarifies-definition-crown-helmet

BEAR
October 20th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Stanford coach David Shaw advocated for rules changes as a result of the non-call this week, saying that a targeting penalty should blanket all helmet-to-helmet contact -- and not just that initiated by the crown of the helmet. To me, the letter of the law is immaterial," Shaw said. "If you have contact on one helmet to another helmet, that should be a penalty. .

Stanford. Freakin' whimps. Seriously?! Any helmet contact? OMG. Let's take the defense OUT of the game.

Let's see,
You can't tackle a player below the knees even if its in the process of holding them so they can't run.
You can't make any helmet to helmet contact.
You can't tackle a QB. Saw where a player did that 10 yards back while the kid still had the ball.

Why bother wearing helmets? Seriously. NCAA is so screwed up. xrotatehx

Let's give them a "safe space" to throw and run the ball. xeyebrowx

McNeese75
October 20th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Damn glad these rules were not around back in the day (cut blocks, crackback blocks, leg whips were all part of the contest in my illustrious HS career). You have to have a friggin PHD to undertand what you can and can't do now xlolx

BEAR
October 20th, 2016, 08:50 AM
EA Sports is coming out with a new NCAA 17 version of football:

Two hand touch.
No helmets.
If a player gets grabbed its an automatic penalty.
If a player feels intimidated there is a designated "safe space" on the sidelines with counselors.
Players on the field must issue apologies immediately to the opponent if offended in any way.
No more 4th downs, teams get to continue endless downs until they establish a sense of accomplishment in their drive and get a touchdown.
Cheerleaders cheer for both teams.
No yelling by the coaches.
If a player sweats they have to be taken to the locker room to change uniforms.
If a team is down by more than one point the other team must give them the ball until they tie up the game.
Everyone gets a trophy.

walliver
October 20th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Stanford coach David Shaw advocated for rules changes as a result of the non-call this week, saying that a targeting penalty should blanket all helmet-to-helmet contact -- and not just that initiated by the crown of the helmet. To me, the letter of the law is immaterial," Shaw said. "If you have contact on one helmet to another helmet, that should be a penalty. .

I see a lot of helmet-to-helmet contact when a running back lowers his head to dive for a few extra yards. Should a defender be kicked out of the game for trying to tackle that player.

BEAR
October 20th, 2016, 09:06 AM
I see a lot of helmet-to-helmet contact when a running back lowers his head to dive for a few extra yards. Should a defender be kicked out of the game for trying to tackle that player.

Have these officials ever been on an offensive or defensive line? Seriously? I bet they take helmet to helmet contact 60+ times a game! Eject them all??? That's what the rule now reads! This is so ridiculous.

OldKat95
October 20th, 2016, 01:48 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23735&stc=1

NCAA Football in ten years.....

McNeese72
October 20th, 2016, 02:10 PM
You better have the undershirt under your jersey tucked in. Or they will stop play and make you miss a play while you are sent to the sideline to tuck it in.

Doc

BEAR
October 20th, 2016, 02:48 PM
You better have the undershirt under your jersey tucked in. Or they will stop play and make you miss a play while you are sent to the sideline to tuck it in.

Doc

That and "illegal equipment"....whatever that is....xlolx

Schism55
October 20th, 2016, 04:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIBD7L73I4Q
The only Redefine needed ;)