PDA

View Full Version : Southern Pigskin FCS Playoff Projections 1.0

Southern Pigskin
October 18th, 2016, 10:49 AM
The first edition of FCS Playoff Projections from Southern Pigskin.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/fcs-playoff-projections-1.0/

walliver
October 18th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Charleston Southern, The Citadel, JMU and Richmond seeded above NDSU?

Are there problems in Fargo of which I am unaware?

Daytripper
October 18th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Oh, my! I can't wait for the response to this. NDSU unseeded?

Daytripper
October 18th, 2016, 10:56 AM

This site is crap. They state 14 at-large bids but only list 12.

FUBeAR
October 18th, 2016, 10:56 AM
4 SoCon Teams...sounds about right; maybe not the right 4...or maybe the SoCon gets 5 in...

ccd494
October 18th, 2016, 11:14 AM

If that happens, and UND and NDSU are in the bracket, aren't they guaranteed to face each other due to the flight rules?

Bisonator
October 18th, 2016, 11:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWEvLT3gxzU

melloware13
October 18th, 2016, 12:38 PM
If that happens, and UND and NDSU are in the bracket, aren't they guaranteed to face each other due to the flight rules?
Yes.

UND and NDSU would have to play. I think Lehigh would go to either SBU or YSU (both are under 400 miles), but SBU is significantly closer. I think San Diego would go to Montana, Western Illinois plays UCA, EIU goes to Chattanooga, Youngstown plays Wofford. The only games that would remain from their bracket would be Wagner @ Villanova and Tennessee State v Samford

Gil Dobie
October 18th, 2016, 12:42 PM

They are only 2-1 against the seeded team, so they don't deserve a seed.

CockyGeek
October 18th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Like they would ever make Montana travel to Jacksonville

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

dewey
October 18th, 2016, 12:54 PM
4 SoCon teams and 3 OVC teams. Doubt it. This playoff bracket would have NDSU losing at least 2 more to go 8-3 or even 7-4. This would also have Montana losing at least 1-2 more to finish 9-2 to 8-3 (maybe lose to EWU but another one...doubt it). How would EWU go from potential 10-1 to a #4 with a win over a P5 school unless Montana or Cal Poly beats them. No Cal Poly even though they will finish 8-3?

Dewey

Mayville Bison
October 18th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Robbie Ross - Robbie Ross is Southern Pigskin's lead SoCon writer. A 19-year veteran of the Furman Radio Network, Ross also spent time with the Georgia State Radio Network prior to his ventures with Southern Pigskin. He is a voter in the STATS FCS Top 25 Poll.

If you didn't understand why the STATS poll is terrible, this playoff projection should help understand more. I honestly can't tell if this is a "if the season ended today" or how he projects the season to end. There are some big misses with both. Kind of surprised not to see UNI in there to be honest...

BisonTru
October 18th, 2016, 01:29 PM
This poll might as well have confederate flags flying in the background. It would certainly cause a civil war among this community.

No Cal-Poly?
The MVFC's best seed is 8th? NDSU doesn't even get a seed after beating two teams that are seeded?
EWU is only a four seed?

Not only that, he puts all of the MVFC AND all the Big Sky teams on the same side, and he's not even using realistic regionalization guidelines to justify it.

Bison56
October 18th, 2016, 01:30 PM
The first edition of FCS Playoff Projections from Southern Pigskin.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/fcs-playoff-projections-1.0/

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YoX52GkTUD8/hqdefault.jpg (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiM3O_-_eTPAhWL3oMKHfAJAp8QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYo X52GkTUD8&psig=AFQjCNGT6Tk5miw5ddMAqlciQpA4NF5Hug&ust=1476901725231965)

WrenFGun
October 18th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Dreadful.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 18th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Wofford IMO won't get in if they don't beat one of Chatty and El Cid. If they lose both of those game they are 7-4 with one win being Mars Hill.

Samford still has to play Miss State and El Cid, and Western and Mercer are probably capable of sneaking up on anyone in the SoCon. They do have the win over UCA going for them, though.

BTW, SP has some knowledgeable people, so don't judge them based on this one questionable bracket. xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
October 18th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Is JSU being the 5 seed even a possibility at this point? I feel like if we win out we are at minimum a 3 seed. If we drop a game in the OVC we likely won't be seeded IMO.

No way NDSU doesnt get a seed unless they drop 2 more games.

cpalum
October 18th, 2016, 02:09 PM
If the playoffs started today and Poly wasn't in them I'd lose my mind....meanwhile according to this, three teams they beat would go. That is a head scratcher

Daytripper
October 18th, 2016, 02:13 PM
They are only 2-1 against the seeded team, so they don't deserve a seed.

Unless NDSU loses another game, they are getting a seed.

Grizalltheway
October 18th, 2016, 02:19 PM
If the playoffs started today and Poly wasn't in them I'd lose my mind....meanwhile according to this, three teams they beat would go. That is a head scratcher

It's just terrible all around. Southern Pigskin should stick to the Sun Belch.

Thumper 76
October 18th, 2016, 02:29 PM
BTW, SP has some knowledgeable people, so don't judge them based on this one questionable bracket. xthumbsupx

They sure are doing their level best not to show it here. Sweet baby Jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gil Dobie
October 18th, 2016, 03:43 PM
This is why you have to win your games. You just never know what the selection committee will come up with.

CID1990
October 18th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Well it IS called SOUTHERN Pigskin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big_Fan
October 19th, 2016, 12:37 AM
Well it IS called SOUTHERN Pigskin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

..and yet they have JSU seeded 5th. As my esteemed colleague pointed out, either we are 11-1 with our only loss being to LSU, and several decent wins...or we have an OVC loss and probably won't be seeded. A 5 seed is a virtual impossibility. Their 1 seed has a week as milk toast schedule, as lost to us by 50 in last year's playoffs. I still don't get the love being shown to SHSU.

dudeitsaid
October 19th, 2016, 10:57 PM
Southern Pigskin must be the FCS equivalent of The Onion. Current enough to be taken serious, till you realize its just a joke there to make you laugh.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Bison56
October 20th, 2016, 02:50 PM
..and yet they have JSU seeded 5th. As my esteemed colleague pointed out, either we are 11-1 with our only loss being to LSU, and several decent wins...or we have an OVC loss and probably won't be seeded. A 5 seed is a virtual impossibility. Their 1 seed has a week as milk toast schedule, as lost to us by 50 in last year's playoffs. I still don't get the love being shown to SHSU.

What is milk toast?

Grizalltheway
October 20th, 2016, 03:31 PM
What is milk toast?

It's what you have as an appetizer before milk steak.

Daytripper
October 20th, 2016, 03:40 PM
What is milk toast?

He meant milquetoast.

Schism55
October 20th, 2016, 04:25 PM
It's what you have as an appetizer before milk steak.
Gogo Charlie!!
This projection is hilarious, thanks for the laugh today.

Bison56
October 20th, 2016, 05:39 PM
I guess it's a southern thing, kind of like keeping it in the family.:D

caribbeanhen
October 20th, 2016, 05:46 PM
They sure are doing their level best not to show it here. Sweet baby Jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried one of those recently, it went down very silky smooth... thank you Jesus for giving us cerveza!

Terry2889
October 20th, 2016, 06:00 PM
My biggest issue is the matchup between Lehigh and Wofford.... This would be the most boring game from an aesthetic standpoint ever!

Gangtackle11
October 20th, 2016, 06:02 PM
They put all 4 MVFC on the same side. Tisk...tisk...

dewey
October 20th, 2016, 06:31 PM

It worked out well for NDSU last time.

Dewey

grizband
October 20th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Only to avoid another all MVFC final

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Big_Fan
October 20th, 2016, 08:13 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_toast#Milk_toast_in_Asia

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Rabbit74
October 20th, 2016, 08:41 PM
With the Massey Composite rating showing 3 of the top 4 teams coming out of the Valley, I don't think you are going to see the Valley getting only one seed and that a number 8 at that. And, regional match ups are supposed to be less common this year;

Evolution Prime
October 20th, 2016, 11:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/EvolutionPrime/Mobile%20Uploads/gif_simmons_zpseobuk1mf.gif