PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Week 7 Review + Power Rankings

MrTitleist
October 18th, 2016, 09:21 AM
http://thefcswedge.com/big-sky-conference/big-sky-week-7-review-and-power-rankings/

Flame away.

cpalum
October 18th, 2016, 09:40 AM
I could argue but its minutia, EWU is definitely #1. 2-4 are a complete toss up from my point of view.

SUUTbird
October 18th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Rankings seem fair, I do think however we have the advantage at home against the Wildcats, their conference schedule so far has been pretty lackluster.

F'N Hawks
October 18th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Another comment about UND's schedule in there. Cool, bro.

Did you look at Montana's future schedule? The end with a three game, all-out artillery attack on the bottom of the conference. Hope you note it.

Also, no mention of Weber already having implemented their assault on the worst of the worst in the conference. xconfusedx

Grizalltheway
October 18th, 2016, 10:13 AM
I could argue but its minutia, EWU is definitely #1. 2-4 are a complete toss up from my point of view.

I agree. Should be an interesting home stretch.

Hambone
October 18th, 2016, 10:26 AM

Did you look at Montana's future schedule? The end with a three game, all-out artillery attack on the bottom of the conference. Hope you note it.

Also, no mention of Weber already having implemented their assault on the worst of the worst in the conference. xconfusedx

I also find it funny that the only difference in the conference schedules is they play EWU and we play Weber, and the three conference games they've played are teams that we've already played as well. EWU is obviously better at this time, but Weber isn't a last place team by any means. Is what it is :)

MrTitleist
October 18th, 2016, 10:45 AM

Noted that in a txt to a friend after I had published.

That said, the Big Sky needs some way to balance the schedule out. Avoiding both EWU and Montana is weak sauce scheduling (not the fault of the schools).. both teams have been up for quite a few years, and appear they will stay that way for the next few years. With Idaho coming back I can't imagine they won't be a top 3 team as well.. gotta work at least one of those three in for every school every year.

dewey
October 18th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Great write up Mr Titleist.

One small thing to fix.

The Lumberjacks let the ball fly for 319 yards from back-up Blake Kemp and put up 52 points on the hapless Idaho (add in "State") Bengals. Weber State continued their undefeated play in conference by taking down the even more hapless Montana State Bobcats.

UND has a very good chance to run the table the rest of the season and finish 9-2 (seed?)
UND's schedule.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/155/north-dakota-fighting-hawks

Eastern Washington has two tough games left hosting Montana and then the following week at Cal Poly.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/331/eastern-washington-eagles

Montana has one tough game left, at Eastern Washington.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/149

Cal Poly schedule. One tough game remaining against Eastern Washington.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/13

Seems like UND has the easier path to the conference championship by their virtue of avoiding Montana and Eastern Washington (schedule makers fault).

What happens in the Big Sky?

IF MT wins out they are 10-1...more than likely 9-2
IF UND wins out they are 9-2...very likely they go 9-2
IF Eastern Washington wins out they go 10-1
Cal Poly wins out they go 9-2...probably 8-3

Boy that unbalanced schedule is AWFUL.

What a mess if MT wins out, UND loses one and Eastern Washington loses one.

Dewey

veinup
October 18th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Seems like UND has the easier path to the conference championship by their virtue of avoiding Montana and Eastern Washington (schedule makers fault).

Dewey

it really is ridiculous.

MrTitleist
October 18th, 2016, 11:45 AM

One small thing to fix.

The Lumberjacks let the ball fly for 319 yards from back-up Blake Kemp and put up 52 points on the hapless Idaho (add in "State") Bengals. Weber State continued their undefeated play in conference by taking down the even more hapless Montana State Bobcats.

Fixed, thanks!

nodak651
October 18th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Noted that in a txt to a friend after I had published.

That said, the Big Sky needs some way to balance the schedule out. Avoiding both EWU and Montana is weak sauce scheduling (not the fault of the schools).. both teams have been up for quite a few years, and appear they will stay that way for the next few years. With Idaho coming back I can't imagine they won't be a top 3 team as well.. gotta work at least one of those three in for every school every year.

The solution is simple. There should be two conferences in the West. Montana fans worry about the have-not's controlling the direction of the Big Sky... and it is a valid concern. This is exactly why UND and Denver started the NCHC in hockey after the Big Ten schools left the WCHA. The top schools (northern schools) should break away and start their own conference. Play non conference games against the remaining schools with decent travel, instead of having to schedule d2 schools or "non conference" conference games. It baffles me that this has not happened yet. The Big Sky is wayyyy to big.

Both conferences would have a true conference champ in football, and the basketball conferences could have a scheduling agreement to get D1 non conference home games.

MrTitleist
October 18th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Good point. Could easily be solved with two divisions within the conference and have a two year rotating schedule. Not rocket science. But that's a blog thought for another time... how FCS does playoffs and scheduling. There really should be a week for conference championships for those who need it.

nodak651
October 18th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Good point. Could easily be solved with two divisions within the conference and have a two year rotating schedule. Not rocket science. But that's a blog thought for another time... how FCS does playoffs and scheduling. There really should be a week for conference championships for those who need it.

I'm saying a whole new conference, rather than divisions. An extra bid for basketball between so many schools would be very beneficial. I'll stop now to prevent thread drift.

nevadagriz
October 18th, 2016, 12:05 PM
One thing about the f'ed up schedule is the second place team could get a bid while the champ does not.

Everyone needs to just relax about rankings and the schedule, there is a ton of football to play and it will sort itself out.
The conference championship is not what is important, what is important is being the last standing in the playoffs.

MrTitleist
October 18th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I'm saying a whole new conference, rather than divisions. An extra bid for basketball between so many schools would be very beneficial. I'll stop now to prevent thread drift.

Ohhhhh. That's why Idaho wants to restart the WAC as a football conference.

nodak651
October 18th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Ohhhhh. That's why Idaho wants to restart the WAC as a football conference.

I don't see the benefit of that vs a new conference, assuming FBS is off the table.

SUUTbird
October 18th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Only way they could ever think of reviving the WAC Conference is if they got both Montana and Dakota State schools on board, which isn't very likely.

In regards to the scheduling issues, create the Big Sky North conference and the Big Sky South Conference rather than divisions. Put 7 teams in each and go from there, could even required each team to play two teams from the other division / conference and since they are conferences they each get an automatic bid to the playoffs.

UNDBIZ
October 18th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Montana SOS = 200 (0-1 vs current AGS top 25)
North Dakota SOS = 170 (2-1 vs current AGS top 25)

Is the unbalanced BSC schedule garbage? Absolutely. But if Montana wants to complain, they should've beat Cal Poly.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 18th, 2016, 02:51 PM

Is the unbalanced BSC schedule garbage? Absolutely. But if Montana wants to complain, they should've beat Cal Poly.

God I love all these UND fans just feeling real big all of a sudden this year....YOU DONT PLAY MONTANA OR EWU....just accept that it will be a joke when you win the BSC this year...becasue everyone outside of UND thinks it will be....

The best part is...just when UNDs fanbase is getting to all time cocky levels...the playoff comittee will send you to get ass-blasted in Fargo 2nd round....I cant wait.

kalm
October 18th, 2016, 02:57 PM
God I love all these UND fans just feeling real big all of a sudden this year....YOU DONT PLAY MONTANA OR EWU....just accept that it will be a joke when you win the BSC this year...becasue everyone outside of UND thinks it will be....

The best part is...just when UNDs fanbase is getting to all time cocky levels...the playoff comittee will send you to get ass-blasted in Fargo 2nd round....I cant wait.

Or an Idaho State picks them off like last year.

BTW...who does UND play this week?

F'N Hawks
October 18th, 2016, 02:58 PM

Sound like you know about the whole ass-blast thing. I can't wait for Montana to beat a good team.

- - - Updated - - -

Or an Idaho State picks them off like last year.

BTW...who does UND play this week?

Sam Houston State, I think.

grizband
October 18th, 2016, 03:17 PM

I'm more curious about the conference SOS. Let's compare reasons I'd just those teams, art the end of the season

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

F'N Hawks
October 18th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I'm more curious about the conference SOS. Let's compare reasons I'd just those teams, art the end of the season

Why, is that all the playoff committee looks at?

Grizalltheway
October 18th, 2016, 03:27 PM

No, but if the Griz and Hawks both win out, do you really think the committee will seed you above us?

grizband
October 18th, 2016, 03:32 PM
No, but the argument has never involved out if conference opponents. The frustration centered around North Dakota's avoidance of arguably the conferences two top teams, which directly affects the auto bid.

F'N Hawks
October 18th, 2016, 03:35 PM
No, but the argument has never involved out if conference opponents. The frustration centered around North Dakota's avoidance of arguably the conferences two top teams, which directly affects the auto bid.

And what do you want them or anybody to do about it?

Didn't hear all this angst and despair last year when SUU had the easiest schedule in Big Sky history and won the auto-bid. Who actually got the seed? Portland State.

If Montana goes 9-2 they will get a higher seed/ranking than UND, no doubt. They will always get a higher seed with same record, especially this year having to play EWU.

FCSwatcher
October 18th, 2016, 03:36 PM

One small thing to fix.

UND has a very good chance to run the table the rest of the season and finish 9-2 (seed?)
UND's schedule.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/155/north-dakota-fighting-hawks

Eastern Washington has two tough games left hosting Montana and then the following week at Cal Poly.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/331/eastern-washington-eagles

Montana has one tough game left, at Eastern Washington.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/149

Cal Poly schedule. One tough game remaining against Eastern Washington.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/13

What a mess if MT wins out, UND loses one and Eastern Washington loses one.

Dewey

You don't think NAU is tough for Montana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FCSwatcher
October 18th, 2016, 03:40 PM

BadGrizFan. Be happy you do not play UND or Weber.

Might be the third round, and it won't correct what happened to the Griz last year in Fargo.

grizband
October 18th, 2016, 03:42 PM
And what do you want them or anybody to do about it?

Didn't hear all this angst and despair last year when SUU had the easiest schedule in Big Sky history and won the auto-bid. Who actually got the seed? Portland State.

If Montana goes 9-2 they will get a higher seed/ranking than UND, no doubt. They will always get a higher seed with same record, especially this year having to play EWU.
Honestly, nothing. Any logical person isn't blaming UND for their conference schedule.

Trust me, there was plenty of angst both here, and on egriz, about SUU winning the conference with an easy schedule. It will simply continue to be a problem, until fingering changes; either the conference splits, it something else.

F'N Hawks
October 18th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Honestly, nothing. Any logical person isn't blaming UND for their conference schedule.

Trust me, there was plenty of angst both here, and on egriz, about SUU winning the conference with an easy schedule. It will simply continue to be a problem, until fingering changes; either the conference splits, it something else.

I believe you, didn't see it for myself. There is zero doubt in my mind UND would lose to EWU and Montana on the road. They might have a punchers chance at home but would be dogs there too. Both those offenses give UND major issues at times.

UNDBIZ
October 18th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Why do Montana fans care about the auto-bid? It carries zero value for the Griz. Lose to NAU, EWU, and MSU, finish 7-4, and the committee still won't leave you out. And the "great" thing about the FCS is you'll get to host the 1st round game.

UNDBIZ
October 18th, 2016, 04:27 PM

You've played 1 good team this year and you lost. Sorry.

Still not sure why EWU potentially having to share the BSC title with UND matters so much to you.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 18th, 2016, 04:30 PM

The main difference is SUUs fans wernt cocky as **** and recognized their cakewalk schedule.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 18th, 2016, 04:32 PM
You've played 1 good team this year and you lost. Sorry.

Still not sure why EWU potentially having to share the BSC title with UND matters so much to you.

Again...no Montana fan is arguing their schedule to date....we close with a tough schedule....yours has been a joke to date..and closes as a joke...

Also I dont care what anyone says...beating UNI on the road after they beat Iowa State is a good win against a good team. I still think UNI is a good team.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 18th, 2016, 04:33 PM
BadGrizFan. Be happy you do not play UND or Weber.

Might be the third round, and it won't correct what happened to the Griz last year in Fargo.

I wil never be happy we aren't playing UND or Weber....ever

Sioux24/7
October 18th, 2016, 04:37 PM
The main difference is SUUs fans wernt cocky as **** and recognized their cakewalk schedule.

I think most UND fans do realize that we have a schedule very favorable for us. It just gets old every week when that is the narrative of why our record is what it is.

SUUTbird
October 18th, 2016, 04:39 PM

Really the only team we avoided last year was Montana, EWU was garbage last year and I'm pretty confident we would have beaten them at home or even on the road. Against North Dakota I think we could have gotten the win but it would have been a tough game so our schedule is not necessarily as weak as you claim, but overall it was a pretty easy schedule, comparable to both North Dakotasand Montanas schedules this season.

Sioux24/7
October 18th, 2016, 04:40 PM
The thing is we only play one different Big Sky team and that is Weber while you guys play EWU. Obviously, I would much rather play Weber but that's the lone difference in scheduling but ours is just a complete cakewalk....

abc123
October 18th, 2016, 04:45 PM
Again...no Montana fan is arguing their schedule to date....we close with a tough schedule....yours has been a joke to date..and closes as a joke...

Also I dont care what anyone says...beating UNI on the road after they beat Iowa State is a good win against a good team. I still think UNI is a good team.

Not sure how UND's could be a joke to date and year to date when they had an arguably tougher OOC and their conference schedule is exactly the same minus one game. Is that one game difference tougher for UM than it is for UND? Yes. But the hyperbole on the difference is over the top.

UM had UNI, Saint Francis and a team that has been called the poorest in D-1 in OOC (edit - they were not D2 as I previously mentioned, my mistake)
UND had a poor FBS team USD and Stony Brook (both of which appear in the low end of the top 25 this week).

UNDBIZ
October 18th, 2016, 04:47 PM

You close with 4 teams UND plays + EWU, which is a tough game UM will probably lose. So are those other teams only tough when UM plays them?

UND's schedule is beneficial this year, but we beat Cal Poly. You didn't. The standings right now are really that simple.

UNDColorado
October 18th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Not sure how UND's could be a joke to date and year to date when they had an arguably tougher OOC and their conference schedule is exactly the same. Is that one game difference tougher for UM than it is for UND? Yes. But the hyperbole on the difference is over the top.

UM had UNI, Saint Francis and a D-2 in OOC.
UND had a poor FBS team USD and Stony Brook (both of which appear in the low end of the top 25 this week).

Mississippi Valley State is a D1 but I do not believe fully funded. Still really crappy.

UND fans are tired about hearing about the weak schedule we can't control. We can control our OOC schedule and chose to play some decent teams.

abc123
October 18th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Mississippi Valley State is a D1 but I do not believe fully funded. Still really crappy.

Yep, you are correct. It threw me off when the opening spread was in the 50's.

UNDColorado
October 18th, 2016, 04:56 PM

I would look in the mirror first. Nobody from UND is on here spouting off about how dominant we are. This is all reaction to dumb comments like the one you just made.

SUUTbird
October 18th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Honestly when comparing Montana's and North Dakota'sschedule I would have to say they are pretty much even in terms of strength. Montana played UNI and St. Francis and have to play Eastern Washington while North Dakota played Bowling Green, Stony Brook and South Dakota.

grizband
October 18th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Not sure how UND's could be a joke to date and year to date when they had an arguably tougher OOC and their conference schedule is exactly the same minus one game. Is that one game difference tougher for UM than it is for UND? Yes. But the hyperbole on the difference is over the top.

UM had UNI, Saint Francis and a team that has been called the poorest in D-1 in OOC (edit - they were not D2 as I previously mentioned, my mistake)
Griz didn't play a DII this year...though, I believe they are FCS in name only

grizband
October 18th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Also, remember, Montana is one of the teams UND avoids. Obviously, the Griz can't play themselves, but the argument remains they avoid two perennial conference powers...frustration should be directed at the conference, though, but UND.

dewey
October 18th, 2016, 06:19 PM

If Montana is truly a top 10 a 3-4 Northern Arizona should not be much of a problem even if the game is in Flagstaff. Northern Arizona's wins are against New Mexico Highlands ( D2 ), Montana State (close game) and a blowout vs Idaho State.

The Grizzlies should win this game comfortably.

Dewey

SDFS
October 18th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Lots of football left - no one has won the Big Sky yet - plus FCS has the playoffs so it will work itself out. Feel bad for Poly, I think they are the best team in the Big Sky. UND is a bad match up for them. Much like EWU is a bad match up for UND.

Plus, Poly has what appears to be one of the better nonconference wins on the road at SDSU.

Shame on AGS Poll Poly has beaten both Montana and SDSU is ranked lower than both....

mvemjsunpx
October 18th, 2016, 06:56 PM
If Montana is truly a top 10 a 3-4 Northern Arizona should not be much of a problem even if the game is in Flagstaff. Northern Arizona's wins are against New Mexico Highlands ( D2 ), Montana State (close game) and a blowout vs Idaho State.

The Grizzlies should win this game comfortably.

Depends on whether Cookus comes back or not. It sounds like he won't, but who knows?

F'N Hawks
October 18th, 2016, 06:58 PM
At this point shouldn't Cookus just take redshirt?

geaux_sioux
October 18th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Lots of football left - no one has won the Big Sky yet - plus FCS has the playoffs so it will work itself out. Feel bad for Poly, I think they are the best team in the Big Sky. UND is a bad match up for them. Much like EWU is a bad match up for UND.

Plus, Poly has what appears to be one of the better nonconference wins on the road at SDSU.

Shame on AGS Poll Poly has beaten both Montana and SDSU is ranked lower than both....
But they lost on the road to lowly North Dakota.

abc123
October 18th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Probably fair to point out the one place the schedule makers didn't do UND any favors is putting their bye week the last week of the year. As a team that is still building depth and dealing with multiple nagging injuries (the same as any other team at this point of the year), a bye week somewhere during the middle of the season would be a lot more helpful.

dudeitsaid
October 18th, 2016, 11:20 PM

If they are, that will be a bad sign for Montana...

NAU is not the same team without Cookus. Sorry, not buying the blowout against ISU as them finding their rhythm.

grizband
October 18th, 2016, 11:52 PM

Just like Poly is a bad matchup for Montana...

OverratedGriz
October 19th, 2016, 12:44 AM
The real question is will Montana beat a ranked opponent this year?

dewey
October 19th, 2016, 05:53 AM

Well UNI was highly ranked when Montana beat them.

Dewey

Grizzlies82
October 19th, 2016, 06:36 AM
But they lost on the road to lowly North Dakota.

It is a fact, No Dakota is winning the games they need to. Though keep in mind when UND beat Cal Poly, the Mustangs were on the road with both their QB & fullback injured. Still a very good win for No Dakota.

F'N Hawks
October 19th, 2016, 06:54 AM
It is a fact, No Dakota is winning the games they need to. Though keep in mind when UND beat Cal Poly, the Mustangs were on the road with both their QB & fullback injured. Still a very good win for No Dakota.

Who were they missing? Wut.

geaux_sioux
October 19th, 2016, 07:12 AM
And UND was at full strength with their best players at 100%. Gmafb.

cpalum
October 19th, 2016, 07:15 AM
This thread has kind of become a bitching loop. UND is a good team so is Montana. We have half a season to sort it out.

F'N Hawks
October 19th, 2016, 07:49 AM
This thread has kind of become a bitching loop. UND is a good team so is Montana. We have half a season to sort it out.

This. Got a bad feeling UND is going to drop one they shouldn't.

kalm
October 19th, 2016, 07:59 AM
UND has the better resume right now with a stronger SOS and higher quality win. After EWU, Montana catches up a little in the SOS. Unless SB and USD finish strong in which case it's clearly UND.

Neither team has faced a quality passing attack. MVSU is 46th in FCS, St. Francis is 71st and every other team either played is below 80. We'll find out about Montana's pass D the next two weeks and about UND's at the end of the season when they play UNC and NAU.

I think NAU is a very dangerous opponent for the Griz right now, with or without Cookus. Kemp looked like he was figuring things out last week and he has a ton of weapons. Plus...the Jacks have nothing to lose and still a slim shot the playoffs.

MrTitleist
October 19th, 2016, 09:40 AM
The Griz always play like ass in Flagstaff too.

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 19th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Also, remember, Montana is one of the teams UND avoids. Obviously, the Griz can't play themselves, but the argument remains they avoid two perennial conference powers...frustration should be directed at the conference, though, but UND.

I don't think this is getting enough attention.

F'N Hawks
October 19th, 2016, 10:50 AM
I don't think this is getting enough attention.

No doubt about it. Seems to have been glossed over by people.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 19th, 2016, 11:32 AM
real question is...how did UND get so many fans all of a sudden???

Kabooom
October 19th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I see a few Disses about Montana's schedule so far in regards playing St Francis.
Montana's Coaches were very impressed with the talent and savy of that team....Maybe a CAA/Towson St fan can chime in about their match-up with them. They topped SFU by a TD. Towson may be down this year in the CAA, but were still talking CAA...

St Francis is D1 and currently sits on the top of the NEC this season.

kalm
October 19th, 2016, 12:00 PM
I see a few Disses about Montana's schedule so far in regards playing St Francis.
Montana's Coaches were very impressed with the talent and savy of that team....Maybe a CAA/Towson St fan can chime in about their match-up with them. They topped SFU by a TD. Towson may be down this year in the CAA, but were still talking CAA...

St Francis is D1 and currently sits on the top of the NEC this season.

It's not the worst schedule and the NEC looks to be improved (see SH taking out Stony Brook). The questions arise when comparing Montana's resume to some of the other teams vying for seeds.

bobcathpdevil56
October 19th, 2016, 12:04 PM
This argument really comes down to what the Big Sky Conference is doing to help our teams get into the playoffs and get good seeds. The scheduling in the conference is not going to get any better, in fact with Idaho coming in, it will only get worse. With a 9 game conference schedule, hopefully we alleviate some of this problem, but it is not going away.

There needs to be some forward thinking and some brainstorming done by our conference or this will continue to be an issue.

Mayville Bison
October 19th, 2016, 02:03 PM

UND fans are tired about hearing about the weak schedule we can't control. We can control our OOC schedule and chose to play some decent teams.

Please tell me this is a joke right? At week 7, they are looking like decent teams because they took the Almighty Hawks to the wire...oh wait...UND went 1-2 in OOC play? Against a team that tied for 9th in the CAA last year and a team that tied for 7th in the MVFC? That can't be right...

It might be that SB and USD are "legit" this year, but when you chose to play them, I really doubt they were considered decent teams.

UNDBIZ
October 19th, 2016, 02:32 PM

Ndsu lost, so they switched bandwagons.

UNDColorado
October 19th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Please tell me this is a joke right? At week 7, they are looking like decent teams because they took the Almighty Hawks to the wire...oh wait...UND went 1-2 in OOC play? Against a team that tied for 9th in the CAA last year and a team that tied for 7th in the MVFC? That can't be right...

It might be that SB and USD are "legit" this year, but when you chose to play them, I really doubt they were considered decent teams.

I am not talking about last year and you are correct that they both weren't good last year. This year they are decent teams which makes UND's OOC schedule decent. I am only looking at the present.

Montana OOC schedule not so tough other than on the road at an average UNI (this year so don't freak out).

EWU on the other hand had a tough OOC schedule.

OverratedGriz
October 19th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Montana is very fortunate they only have to play EWU this year and not North Dakota.

OverratedGriz
October 19th, 2016, 03:50 PM

You mean the school that sells more tickets to all its athletic sporting events than any other FCS program "suddenly" has so many fans???

Silenoz
October 19th, 2016, 04:02 PM

Nice handle. UND is like the 30th team down our rivalry list, but whatever works for you/flatters us.

Probably an NDSU fan stirring the pot anyways.

You mean the school that sells more tickets to all its athletic sporting events than any other FCS program "suddenly" has so many fans???
The hockey board is that way ->

(somewhere)

ursus arctos horribilis
October 19th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Nice handle. UND is like the 30th team down our rivalry list, but whatever works for you/flatters us.

The hockey board is that way ->

(somewhere)

I think it adorable when UND fans try to pretend like that should matter.

Hell, you could tell me UND had won a NC in it and I'd believe you.

There are a lot of good UND fans and friends here so please take this as the barbing back & forth that it is too New boy defines himself my the Grizzlies. That is pretty damn good. xlolx

OverratedGriz
October 19th, 2016, 04:13 PM

Not sure how constantly seeing the team with the most resources put into FCS football yet always come up short has anything to do with their rivals....nevermind I get it now, those newcomers keep passing Montana. SUU won the big sky last year, UND this year, NDSU winning championships.

If I'm a Grid fan, I'm hoping no other teams from Division 2 move up. & Keeps comparing itself to Montana State.

bobcathpdevil56
October 19th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Not sure how constantly seeing the team with the most resources put into FCS football yet always come up short has anything to do with their rivals....nevermind I get it now, those newcomers keep passing Montana. SUU won the big sky last year, UND this year, NDSU winning championships.

If I'm a Grid fan, I'm hoping no other teams from Division 2 move up. & Keeps comparing itself to Montana State.

Hey man, leave us out of this PMS fest

Silenoz
October 19th, 2016, 04:33 PM

Stop trying. We already have EWU and MSU, and Idaho soon enough. You're not going to be our rival.

Grizalltheway
October 19th, 2016, 04:34 PM

You actually haven't won dick yet, but it is cute that you think you're even in the same universe as NDSU.

And hey, remember that time our 3rd string QB threw 6 TDs against your sorry asses? That was fun.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 19th, 2016, 04:51 PM
You actually haven't won dick yet, but it is cute that you think you're even in the same universe as NDSU.

And hey, remember that time our 3rd string QB threw 6 TDs against your sorry asses? That was fun.

Wasn't that when we had like 13 pass attempts? We probably should have stopped passing a lot earlier than we did. 6 attempts would probably have been plenty.

I know what you are gonna say too. "Hey, it was our 3rd stringer and he needed a few reps". A few yes, but overdoing it like that just doesn't look good.

nevadagriz
October 19th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Since UND can't be beat, Mostly because of all the lifting, who do you guys think you will beat in Frisco?
serious question I mean I'm on the Hawk xbandwagonx

BSC power rankings
1 und
2und second string
3 und womens hockey
4 ewu
5 poly
6 weber st
7 suu
8 montana
9 -15 who cares

OverratedGriz
October 19th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Stop trying. We already have EWU and MSU, and Idaho soon enough. You're not going to be our rival.

Already apart of the greatest rivalry in FCS (and formerly D2) football. Rivalry so strong the teams are still butt hurt about how the other schools have handled the transition they refused to play.

Makes any rivalry Montana has look like child's play.

OverratedGriz
October 19th, 2016, 05:08 PM

For a team to be as FCS as long as Montana has, and have the most fans (all the big boys already left), and only won couple championships, I'd though the 3rd stringer would have thrown for 14 tds against a team fresh off playing in D2.

F'N Hawks
October 19th, 2016, 05:23 PM
For a team to be as FCS as long as Montana has, and have the most fans (all the big boys already left), and only won couple championships, I'd though the 3rd stringer would have thrown for 14 tds against a team fresh off playing in D2.

Can you shut up now?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 19th, 2016, 05:27 PM
Can you shut up now?

xlolx

F'N Hawks
October 19th, 2016, 05:30 PM
xlolx

He's making me look level-headed.

veinup
October 19th, 2016, 06:40 PM
my 2 pence upon some thoughts .. the scheduling in the BSC just stinks. not UND's fault they don't play montana or ewu. i vow that i won't give them any **** about their schedule from here on out cuz i don't think they deserve it. can't stand here and say that the griz would whip UND or anything like that. it'd just be a bummer if (in theory) UND wins out and wins the big sky without playing UM or EWU. it'd be the same if our teams situations were reversed. griz fans would obviously have liked their team to have a shot at UND should that situation occur. however .. still a lot of football to be played, and if the griz win out/make the playoffs there's a decent chance we'll meet UND in the playoffs, which would be just fine.

tldr: scheduling sucks but let it go, it'll all play out. go griz

mvemjsunpx
October 19th, 2016, 07:38 PM
my 2 pence upon some thoughts .. the scheduling in the BSC just stinks. not UND's fault they don't play montana or ewu. i vow that i won't give them any **** about their schedule from here on out cuz i don't think they deserve it. can't stand here and say that the griz would whip UND or anything like that. it'd just be a bummer if (in theory) UND wins out and wins the big sky without playing UM or EWU. it'd be the same if our teams situations were reversed. griz fans would obviously have liked their team to have a shot at UND should that situation occur. however .. still a lot of football to be played, and if the griz win out/make the playoffs there's a decent chance we'll meet UND in the playoffs, which would be just fine.

tldr: scheduling sucks but let it go, it'll all play out. go griz

From the Big Sky's perspective, it doesn't suck though. The relative lack of cannibalism means a potentially large number of playoff teams.

UNDBIZ
October 19th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Can you shut up now?
Second

JALMOND
October 19th, 2016, 11:33 PM
Once again the picture is getting clearer and probably ripe for a complete turnover this weekend. Still, the first four are probably the clear top, and a toss of the coin could decide the rest. But, if the conference only gets four teams in to the playoffs, those four would represent the conference pretty well. Here are this week's power rankings based on my opinion (last week in parenthesis). Everyone plays this weekend except for Portland State, who may have their hands full against bye.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week bye, this week at Montana State---The Eagles have got off to a flying start (no pun intended) entering the bye. Sometimes, teams slow down after the extra week however, but it seems the Eagles are playing for something bigger.

2. Montana (2)---Last week beat Sacramento State at home 68-7, this week at Northern Arizona---The Grizzlies have outscored their last two opponents 135-14, both hapless and both at home. Now they enter their stretch run with the toughest games on the road.

3. North Dakota (3)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 45-23, this week at Idaho State---The Hawks have emerged as a formidable foe, racing to the top of the conference. Things shouldn't slow down for them this week, even on the road.

4. Cal Poly (4)---Last week won at Portland State 55-35, this week UC-Davis at home---The Mustangs completed their daunting part of the schedule with a resounding win on the road. With the exception of the EWU game in a few weeks, things do get a bit easier.

5. Southern Utah (5)---Last week lost at North Dakota 45-23, this week Weber State at home---The Thunderbirds took one on the chin last week at North Dakota and now must recover against a rejuvenated Weber State team if they want to stay near the top.

6. Northern Arizona (7)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 52-7, this week Montana at home---The Lumberjacks got what they wanted, a confidence building win at home last week heading in to this week's game. What they do with it still without their star quarterback remains to be seen.

7. Weber State (8)---Last week beat Montana State at home 45-27, this week at Southern Utah---Don't look now but the Wildcats are slowly climbing back towards the top and a strong win this weekend could possibly get them some mention with the contenders.

8. Northern Colorado (6)---Last week lost at UC-Davis 34-21, this week Sacramento State at home---The Bears were looking pretty good and getting some attention from around the league, but then they stubbed their paws on the road. They need a home win to get back.

9. UC-Davis (11)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 34-21, this week at Cal Poly---For the Aggies, beating a up and coming team at home is one thing, but to knock off a top contender on the road would really be something worth mentioning.

10. Portland State (9)---Last week lost to Cal Poly at home 55-35, this week bye---After a tremendous season last season, a dose of reality for the Vikings this year. Maybe an off week will cause them to regain focus and end the season on a high note.

11. Montana State (10)---Last week lost at Weber State 45-27, this week Eastern Washington at home---Things are looking pretty bad for the Bobcats and with the top team, Eastern Washington coming to town, things may not get any better for awhile.

12. Idaho State (12)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 52-7, this week North Dakota at home---When a struggling backup quarterback can look unbeatable against you, things are not good, and things are currently not going to get any better for the Bengals any time soon.

13. Sacramento State (13)---Last week lost at Montana 68-7, this week at Northern Colorado---So the Hornets lost last week in a hostile environment and looked pretty bad. Now they face an upstart foe who is trying to get back to feeling good. Can the Hornets feel good?

RECAP: 1-4 out front, 5 falling a bit, 6-8 in a pack, 9-11 reeling, 12-13 way off.

Hambone
October 20th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Since UND can't be beat, Mostly because of all the lifting, who do you guys think you will beat in Frisco?
serious question I mean I'm on the Hawk xbandwagonx

BSC power rankings
1 und
2und second string
3 und womens hockey
4 ewu
5 poly
6 weber st
7 suu
8 montana
9 -15 who cares

You may have the UND WHky team a little overrated, and I would put montana above suu, but other than that looks pretty good xthumbsupx

F'N Hawks
October 20th, 2016, 08:58 AM
You may have the UND WHky team a little overrated, and I would put montana above suu, but other than that looks pretty good xthumbsupx

Ursus, if we started a "Come here to bitch about Women's Hockey" thread, you wouldn't believe the number of UND fans that would be registering. But, I digress......xlolx

F'N Hawks
October 20th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Nice job, Jalmond. That is about how I see it, too.

EWU and Montana are clear cut #1-2.
UND and Poly and clear cut #3-4.
SUU, Weber, and NAU are #5-7.
The rest.

P.S> - I need to spread more rep, too. Keep forgetting about that. Lot of good stuff on here lately. xthumbsupx

wapiti
October 20th, 2016, 09:20 AM
As always, nice job Jalmond.
and thanks for posting it right in the thread so I do not have to click on a link to read it.

nevadagriz
October 20th, 2016, 09:20 AM
The ewu vs msu game could be more interesting then it should be. I will be watching this one saturday.

veinup
October 20th, 2016, 09:39 AM
The ewu vs msu game could be more interesting then it should be. I will be watching this one saturday.

just out of curiosity, why do you say that? what do you see happening?

UNDBIZ
October 20th, 2016, 09:54 AM

EWU going to make a push for 100?

nodak651
October 20th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Can you shut up now?

Second

Third. Embarrasing

nevadagriz
October 20th, 2016, 10:50 AM

EWU has started very slow all year, as was pointed out on egriz they have not led at halftime all season. If MSU can get a lead and keep the crowd into the game this could stay close through 3qtrs. Last thing ewu wants to happen is for a young msu team with nothing to lose to stick around in the 4th qtr.
Every year there is a conference game that makes people shake their head, this could be one of those.

Silenoz
October 20th, 2016, 11:09 AM
EWU should win by like 40, but the Bobcats have had stretchs where they looked like they kind of knew what they were doing. I'd really like to attend the game, but it probably won't happen

EWU 49
MSU 28

SDFS
October 20th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Second
Third

SDFS
October 20th, 2016, 11:40 AM

Well the BSC pairwise has it:
1 und Mens Hockey
2 und
3 und second string
4 und red shirt class still in the gym lifting weights.
5 ewu
6 poly
7 weber st
8 Quinnipiac
9 und womens hockey
10 suu
11-15 who cares

nevadagriz
October 20th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Well the BSC pairwise has it:
1 und Mens Hockey
2 und
3 und second string
4 und red shirt class still in the gym lifting weights.
5 ewu
6 poly
7 weber st
8 Quinnipiac
9 und womens hockey
10 suu
11-15 who cares

Not sold on Weber I really think you could make a case for Quinnipiac at 7

SDFS
October 20th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Once again the picture is getting clearer and probably ripe for a complete turnover this weekend. Still, the first four are probably the clear top, and a toss of the coin could decide the rest. But, if the conference only gets four teams in to the playoffs, those four would represent the conference pretty well. Here are this week's power rankings based on my opinion (last week in parenthesis). Everyone plays this weekend except for Portland State, who may have their hands full against bye.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week bye, this week at Montana State---The Eagles have got off to a flying start (no pun intended) entering the bye. Sometimes, teams slow down after the extra week however, but it seems the Eagles are playing for something bigger.

2. Montana (2)---Last week beat Sacramento State at home 68-7, this week at Northern Arizona---The Grizzlies have outscored their last two opponents 135-14, both hapless and both at home. Now they enter their stretch run with the toughest games on the road.

3. North Dakota (3)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 45-23, this week at Idaho State---The Hawks have emerged as a formidable foe, racing to the top of the conference. Things shouldn't slow down for them this week, even on the road.

4. Cal Poly (4)---Last week won at Portland State 55-35, this week UC-Davis at home---The Mustangs completed their daunting part of the schedule with a resounding win on the road. With the exception of the EWU game in a few weeks, things do get a bit easier.

5. Southern Utah (5)---Last week lost at North Dakota 45-23, this week Weber State at home---The Thunderbirds took one on the chin last week at North Dakota and now must recover against a rejuvenated Weber State team if they want to stay near the top.

6. Northern Arizona (7)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 52-7, this week Montana at home---The Lumberjacks got what they wanted, a confidence building win at home last week heading in to this week's game. What they do with it still without their star quarterback remains to be seen.

7. Weber State (8)---Last week beat Montana State at home 45-27, this week at Southern Utah---Don't look now but the Wildcats are slowly climbing back towards the top and a strong win this weekend could possibly get them some mention with the contenders.

8. Northern Colorado (6)---Last week lost at UC-Davis 34-21, this week Sacramento State at home---The Bears were looking pretty good and getting some attention from around the league, but then they stubbed their paws on the road. They need a home win to get back.

9. UC-Davis (11)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 34-21, this week at Cal Poly---For the Aggies, beating a up and coming team at home is one thing, but to knock off a top contender on the road would really be something worth mentioning.

10. Portland State (9)---Last week lost to Cal Poly at home 55-35, this week bye---After a tremendous season last season, a dose of reality for the Vikings this year. Maybe an off week will cause them to regain focus and end the season on a high note.

11. Montana State (10)---Last week lost at Weber State 45-27, this week Eastern Washington at home---Things are looking pretty bad for the Bobcats and with the top team, Eastern Washington coming to town, things may not get any better for awhile.

12. Idaho State (12)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 52-7, this week North Dakota at home---When a struggling backup quarterback can look unbeatable against you, things are not good, and things are currently not going to get any better for the Bengals any time soon.

13. Sacramento State (13)---Last week lost at Montana 68-7, this week at Northern Colorado---So the Hornets lost last week in a hostile environment and looked pretty bad. Now they face an upstart foe who is trying to get back to feeling good. Can the Hornets feel good?

RECAP: 1-4 out front, 5 falling a bit, 6-8 in a pack, 9-11 reeling, 12-13 way off.

Hey you do a great job with this. My thoughts:

1) Start a different thread because Mr. Titleist's version is nothing more that click bait. He will make another backhanded comment toward UND. The UND fanbase will become unhinged. This is second or third week of the schedule stuff. He might dip into new (well different) material next week like college hewkey. Then watch the mayhem start.

2) Rankings: The next three weeks will definitely short things out at the top.

1) Poly - I like the offense with a real threat to throw the ball. They are a tough matchup to prepare for in a week. The Poly/EWU will be a good one to watch. Next 3 weeks - Davis, @Sac and then hosting EWU. Will Poly be looking ahead to EWU and get tripped up by one of the rivals?

2) UM and EWU - both very good teams. EWU has Montana and @Poly in the next three weeks. Montana is on the road for 3 of its last 5 games and has both @NAU and @EWU in the next two weeks. No word on Case at this point. So, it doesn't appear that he will be back soon.

3) UND - They benefit from the remaining schedule (note I said remaining schedulexpeacex). They have Weber at home in two weeks which I think is there toughest remaining game. No disrespect toward NAU, UNC (special teams scare me those two returners/receivers are good) and ISU - all three of those teams scare me because they all throw the ball around and will UND's secondary have a let down game. Or will they continue to lead the FCS in INTs.

4) Weber St - They have three tough games remaining. We will know more about them in a couple of weeks. They win both they are looking at a shot at the playoffs. But, they have to get through - @SUU and @UND first. Important next two weeks.

5) SUU - if the QB continues to improve they will be a very tough team to beat. This week's game for SUU is huge. They win - they could reel off 4 straight (WSU, ISU, MSU and NAU) and finish 6-2 in the Big Sky with an overall record of 7-4 (2 FBS losses) and 7 FCS wins and shot at the playoffs. SUU's season is not over but they will need the QB to continue to improve and win this week.

Next Group: NAU (hard to read because of QB situation), UNC, UC-Davis, PSU, MSU

Then ISU and Sac St.

Nodak78
October 20th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Like SDFS said. next four weeks will sort things out at the top. Everyone take a deep breathe.

Schism55
October 20th, 2016, 06:56 PM
What has happened in Portland this season?
Haven't been able to see much if at all of the Vikings.

JALMOND
October 20th, 2016, 08:24 PM
What has happened in Portland this season?
Haven't been able to see much if at all of the Vikings.

Viks in the toilet. A combination of injuries and a lack of defense, particularly pass defense which is a huge liability in the pass happy Big Sky. It's been ugly to watch at times.

JALMOND
October 20th, 2016, 08:29 PM
As always, nice job Jalmond.
and thanks for posting it right in the thread so I do not have to click on a link to read it.

Thanks for the kind words. I've actually enjoyed Mr. T's writeups every week about the Big Sky. His explanations and analysis are really good readings, much more than what I can hope to do. We both have had the same top 4 for a couple weeks now, so it makes me think that I'm doing something right. I certainly don't mind piggybacking on his thread.

Schism55
October 20th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Viks in the toilet. A combination of injuries and a lack of defense, particularly pass defense which is a huge liability in the pass happy Big Sky. It's been ugly to watch at times.
Thanks for the knowledge.
Major bummer when the injury bug bites.
Always have a soft spot for teams Bison beat in title games I was in attendance at. Here's to next a better next year for the Vikes.

SDFS
October 20th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Not sold on Weber I really think you could make a case for Quinnipiac at 7

I can see your point, I just didn't want my East Coast bias to show.

OverratedGriz
October 22nd, 2016, 10:36 PM
Good thing UND doesn't play Montana this year or they'd have even a weaker strength of conference schedule.

UNDBIZ
October 22nd, 2016, 11:00 PM
Ugh. Stop.

OverratedGriz
October 22nd, 2016, 11:04 PM
Ugh. Stop.
Please stop with the personal stuff and keep it Big Sky football related.

nodak651
October 22nd, 2016, 11:08 PM
Please stop with the personal stuff and keep it Big Sky football related.
How about you stop trolling.

OverratedGriz
October 22nd, 2016, 11:24 PM
How about you stop trolling.

Lots of personal attacks on this site:

I'm pointing out as it currently stands UND plays 3 of the top 4 big sky team's.

Montana only has to play 1 of the top 3 big sky team's.

nodak651
October 22nd, 2016, 11:48 PM
Lots of personal attacks on this site:

I'm pointing out as it currently stands UND plays 3 of the top 4 big sky team's.

Montana only has to play 1 of the top 3 big sky team's.

That wasn't a personal attack. It was a suggestion. Nice try. Montana was the 10th ranked team in the country and is still one of the top teams in the big sky. Maybe try being more subtle next time.

SUUTbird
October 23rd, 2016, 09:03 AM
Man talk about an unneeded second-half collapse, basically killed what little shot we had left of getting to the playoffs. Props to Weber State for the second-half comeback, huge game at North Dakota next week if the Wildcats want to keep their playoff hopes alive. Their loss against South Dakota is looking a lot better now as well since the Yotes are rolling in their conference schedule so far this year. After this week my rankings:

-EWU
-North Dakota
-Cal Poly
-Montana
-Weber State

Everyone else