PDA

View Full Version : OVC Week 8

eiu1999
October 17th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Murray State at Eastern Illinois Charleston, Ill.
Southeast Missouri at Tennessee Tech Cookeville, Tenn
Jacksonville State at Eastern Kentucky Richmond, Ky
UT Martin at Georgia State Atlanta, Ga.
Mercer at Austin Peay Clarksville, Tenn.
Tennessee State at Vanderbilt Nashville, Tenn

JSUSoutherner
October 17th, 2016, 10:29 AM
EIU
SEMO
JSU
GSU
APSU
Vandy

Big_Fan
October 17th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Vandy will be riding high after beating UGA...it wouldn't surprise me to see TSU upset them.

TTUEagles
October 17th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Murray State at Eastern Illinois
SE MO at Tennessee Tech
Jacksonville State at E K U
UT-Martin at Georgia State
Mercer at APSUx
TSUx at Vandy

CockyGeek
October 17th, 2016, 02:37 PM
EIU
TTU
JSU
GSU
Mercer
Vandy

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

bonarae
October 17th, 2016, 07:12 PM
EIU
SEMO
Jacksonville State
Georgia State
Mercer
Vandy

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2016, 10:20 AM
EASTERN ILLINOIS
TENNESSEE TECH
JACKSONVILLE STATE
GEORGIA STATE
MERCER
VANDERBILT

EKU Toss Sweep
October 21st, 2016, 12:09 PM
EIU
TTU
EKU -- It's homecoming and happy alums write bigger checks!
GSU
Mercer
Vandy

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2016, 12:12 PM
EIU
TTU
GSU
Mercer
Vandy
You guys actually going to score this year?

Buzzcut
October 21st, 2016, 01:25 PM
EIU
TTU
GSU
Mercer
Vandy

Completely detached from reality

EKU Toss Sweep
October 21st, 2016, 03:34 PM

Yes, EKU will score. Glad you are riding high. Enjoy the ride and enjoy the success, it doesn't last forever. Neither do the lows.

Am I a homer? Absolutely. Detached from reality? Possibly. Either way, I think EKU avoids the turnovers and stupid penalties that have made for a really long 6 weeks and in doing so the Colonels get the win tomorrow. And, happy alums really do write bigger checks.

Schism55
October 23rd, 2016, 12:09 AM
Gonna be a 1 bid season eh OVC?

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2016, 12:14 AM
Tennessee St has the potential to be incredibly polarizing. If they win out and finish unbeaten in the OVC they'll be 9-2 with no FCS losses and they'll probably get in but even then it'll be easy to poke holes through their creampuff schedule (that misses JSU). Their best win would be 6-5 EIU or 6-5 UTM (assuming both lose to JSU). There will be a lot of pissed off teams whose bubble will be burst trying to figure out how TSU's resume looks better than theirs.

EDIT: Forgot that TSU has already lost to EIU this year. So their 9-2 resume would be even weaker unless they beat UTM and UTM wins the rest of their games (including JSU).

Schism55
October 23rd, 2016, 12:18 AM
Tennessee St has the potential to be incredibly polarizing. If they win out and finish unbeaten in the OVC they'll be 9-2 with no FCS losses and they'll probably get in but even then it'll be easy to poke holes through their creampuff schedule (that misses JSU). Their best win would be 6-5 EIU or 6-5 UTM (assuming both lose to JSU). There will be a lot of pissed off bubble teams trying to figure out how TSU's resume looks better than theirs.
Thanks for that well thought out reasoning bud. I'm way too baked for that deep a dive tonight xbowx
Just looking through the fcs scoreboard and noticed some bad losses there today.
Tenn St OOC schedule W T F??? That's some embarrassing **** Tigers xconfusedx

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2016, 12:25 AM
This might be striking a nerve for the OVC crowd but why don't Tennessee St and Jacksonville St play each other this year? It looks like all of the other OVC teams play all of the 8 other OVC teams. I know TSU likes to get their OOC games against the HBCUs (and get their FBS OOC game also) but that seems like it creates a real mess for tie breaker scenarios. Do they really have that much pull to dictate that they play one less conference game each year?

TSUsupporter
October 23rd, 2016, 02:54 AM
This might be striking a nerve for the OVC crowd but why don't Tennessee St and Jacksonville St play each other this year? It looks like all of the other OVC teams play all of the 8 other OVC teams. I know TSU likes to get their OOC games against the HBCUs (and get their FBS OOC game also) but that seems like it creates a real mess for tie breaker scenarios. Do they really have that much pull to dictate that they play one less conference game each year?

To get TSU into the OVC, they basically made a deal with the school to let them play 3 - 4 games vs HBCU schools ( Historically Black Colleges and Universities ). So they're locked in for a 7 game OVC schedule, with the option to play an 8th game.

It's "kinda, sorta" like the deal Notre Dame has with the ACC. They are full members in every team sport . . except football, in which they are partial members. In football, Notre Dame isn't eligible for an ACC title, but they are mandated to play at least 5 ACC teams in their schedule.

As for TSU's weak schedule, I totally agree.

They need to drop one of those HBCU games, and either schedule another FBS team ( a money game ), or one of the schools from the Southern Conference ( preferably Chattanooga ). Or just play a full OVC schedule.

The game vs Jackson St in Memphis ( Southern Heritage Classic ) is locked in. And TSU's home opener ( normally the John Merritt Classic ) is vs an HBCU team, normally from the SWAC, but will feature a few MEAC schools in the future. Their longtime rival, Florida A&M, was usually the 3rd locked in HBCU game, but not necessarily anymore. A 4th HBCU game is routinely added, to round out TSU's OOC schedule.

The schedule is not only weak, it normally doesn't prepare TSU properly for OVC competition. That's why when they play Jacksonville St, it's usually a loss.

But yeah, TSU playing a 7 game OVC schedule wreaks havoc on tiebreaker scenarios, and hurts them when it comes to playoff consideration. Having said that, this year's team is a legit Top 20 FCS squad. The offense is high powered. The defense is mediocre, but opportunistic. And they are a well coached team.

They played well against Vandy tonight, only making 2 critical mistakes in Vandy territory that cost them the game.

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2016, 08:18 AM
To get TSU into the OVC, they basically made a deal with the school to let them play 3 - 4 games vs HBCU schools ( Historically Black Colleges and Universities ). So they're locked in for a 7 game OVC schedule, with the option to play an 8th game.

It's "kinda, sorta" like the deal Notre Dame has with the ACC. They are full members in every team sport . . except football, in which they are partial members. In football, Notre Dame isn't eligible for an ACC title, but they are mandated to play at least 5 ACC teams in their schedule.

As for TSU's weak schedule, I totally agree.

They need to drop one of those HBCU games, and either schedule another FBS team ( a money game ), or one of the schools from the Southern Conference ( preferably Chattanooga ). Or just play a full OVC schedule.

The game vs Jackson St in Memphis ( Southern Heritage Classic ) is locked in. And TSU's home opener ( normally the John Merritt Classic ) is vs an HBCU team, normally from the SWAC, but will feature a few MEAC schools in the future. Their longtime rival, Florida A&M, was usually the 3rd locked in HBCU game, but not necessarily anymore. A 4th HBCU game is routinely added, to round out TSU's OOC schedule.

The schedule is not only weak, it normally doesn't prepare TSU properly for OVC competition. That's why when they play Jacksonville St, it's usually a loss.

But yeah, TSU playing a 7 game OVC schedule wreaks havoc on tiebreaker scenarios, and hurts them when it comes to playoff consideration. Having said that, this year's team is a legit Top 20 FCS squad. The offense is high powered. The defense is mediocre, but opportunistic. And they are a well coached team.

They played well against Vandy tonight, only making 2 critical mistakes in Vandy territory that cost them the game.
But they are eligible for the OVC autobid right?

My (and I would bet a lot of other people's issue) come playoff time is there's no proof to back up your top 20 assertion beyond "the eye test" and I don't think that'll hold much weight. EIU's bad losses are hurting TSU also because that makes TSU's loss look to EIU look worse. We'll see how it plays out but I think TSU needs to win out to get in the playoffs and even then it'll be debatable.

JSUSoutherner
October 23rd, 2016, 10:32 AM
But they are eligible for the OVC autobid right?

My (and I would bet a lot of other people's issue) come playoff time is there's no proof to back up your top 20 assertion beyond "the eye test" and I don't think that'll hold much weight. EIU's bad losses are hurting TSU also because that makes TSU's loss look to EIU look worse. We'll see how it plays out but I think TSU needs to win out to get in the playoffs and even then it'll be debatable.
We would need to drop an OVC game for TSU to even think about getting the autobid anyway. But yeah in years where they win the OVC outright they are eligible.

If TSU wins out and and we drop a game I have no idea how they determine the tiebreaker.

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2016, 10:41 AM
We would need to drop an OVC game for TSU to even think about getting the autobid anyway. But yeah in years where they win the OVC outright they are eligible.

If TSU wins out and and we drop a game I have no idea how they determine the tiebreaker.
It actually works out fairly well this year I'd think because, unless UTM crashes the part it'll really come down to TSU and JSU for the autobid if JSU does drop a game. Where I would think this could spark controversy is if say EIU or UTM would've gone 7-1 in conference and get the autobid over a 6-1 JSU. If TSU wants to put themselves behind the 8 ball in terms of getting the autobid by only playing 7 conference games that's their prerogative but the problem is each year there's another OVC team that's going to involuntarily be in the same spot. Although I'm sure the other conference schools knew that when TSU joined so I guess they don't have anyone else to blame but themselves.

JSU02
October 23rd, 2016, 10:53 AM
It actually works out fairly well this year I'd think because, unless UTM crashes the part it'll really come down to TSU and JSU for the autobid if JSU does drop a game. Where I would think this could spark controversy is if say EIU or UTM would've gone 7-1 in conference and get the autobid over a 6-1 JSU. If TSU wants to put themselves behind the 8 ball in terms of getting the autobid by only playing 7 conference games that's their prerogative but the problem is each year there's another OVC team that's going to involuntarily be in the same spot. Although I'm sure the other conference schools knew that when TSU joined so I guess they don't have anyone else to blame but themselves.

I seem to remember that the OVC champion isn't the team with the most conference wins, but rather the fewest conference losses. In other words, a 6-1 team could be champ over a 7-1 team depending how the tie breakers fall. This is all due to TSU playing 1 less game. I suspect one reason the OVC is pushing to go to 12 games is so that this will no longer be an issue.

JSU02
October 23rd, 2016, 11:02 AM
Also, I would not be surprised to see a 9-2 TSU traveling to Chattanooga in the first round, with the winner playing in Jacksonville. Those two games would sell some tickets.

ASU33
October 23rd, 2016, 05:41 PM
Also, I would not be surprised to see a 9-2 TSU traveling to Chattanooga in the first round, with the winner playing in Jacksonville. Those two games would sell some tickets.

Yep.

dgtw
October 23rd, 2016, 08:30 PM

Well, their offense outscored ours.

I have said this many times on here, but I hate Tennessee State's situation where they only have to play seven league games. I understand the historical ties with the other schools on their schedule and that they are big money makers. But if you want to play in a non-HBCU league, you should have to make some sacrifices. Missouri dropped a long time series with Kansas when they joined the SEC and life went on. Oklahoma no longer plays Nebraska and the world did not spin off its axis.

I also think they should force Morehead State to play scholarship football and for Belmont and SIU-Edwardsville to start a team or else tell all three to get lost and admit UNA as a full member. But like the TSU deal, the OVC did not consult me on the matter.

TTUEagles
October 24th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Well, their offense outscored ours.

I have said this many times on here, but I hate Tennessee State's situation where they only have to play seven league games. I understand the historical ties with the other schools on their schedule and that they are big money makers. But if you want to play in a non-HBCU league, you should have to make some sacrifices. Missouri dropped a long time series with Kansas when they joined the SEC and life went on. Oklahoma no longer plays Nebraska and the world did not spin off its axis.

I also think they should force Morehead State to play scholarship football and for Belmont and SIU-Edwardsville to start a team or else tell all three to get lost and admit UNA as a full member. But like the TSU deal, the OVC did not consult me on the matter.

I agree on all counts. However, with TSU: what upsets me is that this year and at least another season, TSU has NOT played all "classic" games for OOC. They played Vandy. How does this acknowledge the OVC's agreement with TSU? I'd somewhat understand if they played another "classic" game to get their 4 OOC games, but they didn't, they played Vanderbilt. Maybe next year, TTU can schedule another FBS game and avoid the preseason conference favorite. Fair?

CockyGeek
October 27th, 2016, 12:24 PM
FCS PLAYOFFS/OVC TIEBREAKER

In the event of a tie for the OVC Championship,
the following procedures will be used to break
all ties and to determine the league’s NCAA
playoff representative.

TWO-WAY TIES
1.) A two-way tie shall exist only if the tied
teams have the same number of losses.
2.) Should two teams have the same number of losses, and the two teams played each
other during the regular season, the winner of
the head-to-head contest shall be the league’s
postseason representative.
3.) If the two tied teams have the same
number of losses, but did not play each other
during the regular season, the following procedure shall be utilized to break the tie:
a.) A comparison of each team’s headto-head record against the team occupying the
highest position in the regular-season standings
that each team has played. If one team won its
game against that team, the winning team shall
be declared the representative.
b.) Should the procedure outlined in
Item a. fail to break the tie, the process will
continue to the next-place team and beyond
until the tie is broken.
c.) When arriving at another group of
tied teams, composite records between the tying teams shall be utilized to determine if one
of the tied teams has won more games against
the group of tied teams.
4.) If the procedures described previously
fail to break the tie, the representative shall be
determined by a coin flip.

Schism55
October 29th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Just call me Negrodamus :D

JSUSoutherner
October 29th, 2016, 08:14 PM
LETS GO!