PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 7 2016

superman7515
October 15th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Week 7 is done, but not without its twists and turns along the way, so let's see how teams are doing on the yellow brick road to Frisco...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B6leHFhdgBD_dsFd0rA7uKc974jJhgfA6qeJUfkT4VU/edit?usp=sharing

Perfection: Boy did this one take a hit this week, with three of the five undefeated teams tripping along the path. #1 North Dakota State loses to #11 South Dakota State, giving NDSU their first loss in a year (October 17, 2015), perhaps it's this week that does it for them. I have it on good authority that as you're reading this, David Harris (Northern Iowa's Director of Athletics) is furiously typing an email to try and get the Panthers and Bison scheduled for October 14th next year.

#5 Chattanooga gets their first loss to #7 The Citadel, who remains undefeated and moves to 6-0. #20 Harvard has the most surprising loss of the three teams, losing to a subpar Holy Cross team that looks to be middle of the pack in the Patriot League. #4 Sam Houston State easily handles Abilene Christian, so Sam Houston State and The Citadel are the final two undefeated teams in the FCS.

Of course, Abilene Christian is one of the teams trying to run the table in reverse, they fall to 0-7. Joining them at the kids table is Austin Peay (0-6), Bethune-Cookman (0-5), Delaware State (0-6), and Mississippi Valley State (0-7). Furman gets themselves off the schneid though, with a win over East Tennessee State.

Under The Radar: Last year, Portland State was the surprise team who enjoyed a better than expected season, and while things aren't working out quite as well, there are a few teams that aren't on the HTF sheet with records suggesting they may be worthy of you taking a few seconds to examine.

Weber State (4-2, 3-0) has won four straight games, their only losses this year are to FBS Utah State and #30 South Dakota, on the road, in double-overtime.
Maine (3-3, 2-1) has won three straight games, their record is hurt by two losses to FBS opponents, but they are 3-1 against FCS competition with their only loss to #6 James Madison.
North Carolina Central (5-2, 4-0) isn't getting the attention that #22 North Carolina A&T is because A&T has an FBS win that Central doesn't, but NCCU has won 5 straight games and their only losses were to FBS teams, #24 Western Michigan and Duke.

The Coaches Poll: South Carolina State continues to get votes that are most likely meant for South Dakota State, so take those poll numbers with a grain of salt, as that would change the ranking for 28 of the 38 teams that received points in their poll.

First to clinch? No one made it to seven D1 wins this week, and since James Madison has a bye next weekend, Richmond could be the first team to reach that mark this season if they can beat Elon on the road. With seven D1 wins, including an FBS victory, they may be the first team to unofficially clinch a playoff spot next week.

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Amazing thoughts as always.

BEAR
October 15th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Bears keep rolling!

Great work!

dewey
October 15th, 2016, 11:32 PM
Good work as ways Supe!

Dewey

Daytripper
October 15th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Bears keep rolling!

Great work!

It is very likely that UCA makes the biggest jump in the poll.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2016, 01:20 AM
props on increasing my vocabluary. schneid, never heard of it before.

MTfan4life
October 16th, 2016, 02:51 AM
#20 Harvard has the most surprising loss of the three teams, losing to a subpar Holy Cross team that looks to be middle of the pack in the Patriot League.

Harvard didn't only lose, but every team they've beaten this season also lost this weekend. They'll still receive some votes, though, I'm sure.

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Folks need to give the Citadel their credit.

Bulldogs have lost only twice in the last calendar year, and then only to two top 10 teams. Undefeated this year and just beat a really good UTC team.

RabidRabbit
October 16th, 2016, 07:06 AM
Supe - Indispensable Tool. Count on it each week! I will note that for SDSU in the AGS top 25, 2-1 (wins vs NDSU, WIU, L vs Cal Poly). Likewise, Cal Poly, AGS top 25, 2-1, wins vs SDSU, Montana, L to UND.

With only 2 wins vs D-I, UNI and Charleston Southern really have their backs to the wall.

sudog03
October 16th, 2016, 07:32 AM
It is very likely that UCA makes the biggest jump in the poll.

Don't forget about my Samford Bulldogs, who beat a fine UCA team on their home field and put double nickels on VMI yesterday!

Catatonic
October 16th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Don't forget about my Samford Bulldogs, who beat a fine UCA team on their home field and put double nickels on VMI yesterday!

UCA v Samford would be an excellent rematch come playoff time. I have Samford one spot above UCA in my poll.

superman7515
October 16th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Supe - Indispensable Tool. Count on it each week! I will note that for SDSU in the AGS top 25, 2-1 (wins vs NDSU, WIU, L vs Cal Poly). Likewise, Cal Poly, AGS top 25, 2-1, wins vs SDSU, Montana, L to UND.

South Dakota State - Cal Poly (then #27) wasn't ranked in the top 25 when they played in Week 3.
Cal Poly - North Dakota (then #36) wasn't ranked in the top 25 when they played in Week 5.

Just like the NCAA football and basketball polls, it's where the team was ranked the week you played them, it doesn't change from week to week. If you beat #10 Notre Dame to begin the 2016 season, you still have a Top 25 victory credited to your team in every ranking, despite the fact they are now 2-5. Likewise in basketball, if UNI knocks off #24 Temple and Temple never gets back into the Top 25, UNI is still credited with a Top 25 win all year. Conversely, if UNI gets ranked for that week after beating Temple, no one that had already played UNI gets credit for a win/loss vs a Top 25 team.

MR. CHICKEN
October 16th, 2016, 09:56 AM
...HOW IN DUH WORLD.....IS SACREMENTO STATE....@ 1-6......LISTED IN NEXT 15....xconfusedx..................FIRE BRAWK!

mainejeff
October 16th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Maine (3-3, 2-1) has won three straight games, their record is hurt by two losses to FBS opponents, but they are 3-1 against FCS competition with their only loss to #6 James Madison.

Maine is very close to being a pretty decent team. The offense has been inconsistent but Collins has an arm and Maine has numerous game breakers in the receiver corps (ask Albany). The D has been improving every week and looked solid yesterday. Maine's schedule is favorable with he next 2 @ miserable URI and a very beatable W&M. After that is Villanova, @ Stony Brook, and UNH. Maine will need to go 4-1, but it's not out of the question. They could be a tough out in the first round of the playoffs.

MacThor
October 16th, 2016, 11:26 AM
7 wins is hardly a clinch. UR went 8-3 in 2012, were CAA co-champs, beat the AQ on the road, and were left out. I'm sure there are other examples.

grizband
October 16th, 2016, 12:40 PM
South Dakota State - Cal Poly (then #27) wasn't ranked in the top 25 when they played in Week 3.
Cal Poly - North Dakota (then #36) wasn't ranked in the top 25 when they played in Week 5.

Just like the NCAA football and basketball polls, it's where the team was ranked the week you played them, it doesn't change from week to week. If you beat #10 Notre Dame to begin the 2016 season, you still have a Top 25 victory credited to your team in every ranking, despite the fact they are now 2-5. Likewise in basketball, if UNI knocks off #24 Temple and Temple never gets back into the Top 25, UNI is still credited with a Top 25 win all year. Conversely, if UNI gets ranked for that week after beating Temple, no one that had already played UNI gets credit for a win/loss vs a Top 25 team.
At least Montana still gets credit for beating a top 10 UNI team ;)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
October 16th, 2016, 12:45 PM
7 wins is hardly a clinch. UR went 8-3 in 2012, were CAA co-champs, beat the AQ on the road, and were left out. I'm sure there are other examples.

Nobody is stating it is a clinch unless I missed that in someone's post along the way here. It is the line we use as being "considered". Where did you get "clinch" from?

MacThor
October 16th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Nobody is stating it is a clinch unless I missed that in someone's post along the way here. It is the line we use as being "considered". Where did you get "clinch" from?

In the original post of the thread.

First to clinch? No one made it to seven D1 wins this week, and since James Madison has a bye next weekend, Richmond could be the first team to reach that mark this season if they can beat Elon on the road. With seven D1 wins, including an FBS victory, they may be the first team to unofficially clinch a playoff spot next week.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 16th, 2016, 01:42 PM

Yes, I went back and reread the original post and saw that so figured this was what you were speaking of. I am not sure but super uses the colors as who is eligible and who is not and that may be the reference for clinch but you are correct, the only way to clinch a playoff berth is to grab your conference title.

Terry2889
October 16th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Maine is very close to being a pretty decent team. The offense has been inconsistent but Collins has an arm and Maine has numerous game breakers in the receiver corps (ask Albany). The D has been improving every week and looked solid yesterday. Maine's schedule is favorable with he next 2 @ miserable URI and a very beatable W&M. After that is Villanova, @ Stony Brook, and UNH. Maine will need to go 4-1, but it's not out of the question. They could be a tough out in the first round of the playoffs.

I like Maine a lot this year. Stud WR's and a decent defense. I see you guys finishing up at 7-4 with a loss to 'Nova.

dudeitsaid
October 16th, 2016, 02:21 PM
...HOW IN DUH WORLD.....IS SACREMENTO STATE....@ 1-6......LISTED IN NEXT 15....xconfusedx..................FIRE BRAWK!

Why fire Brawk? Is he the one that voted for Sac? Keep seeing you calling for Brawk's head...poor guy.

superman7515
October 16th, 2016, 03:37 PM

That's why it says "unofficially" because with the remaining schedule including games against Elon, Delaware, and William & Mary they should be able to get in without any problems. They have JMU remaining, that should be their only real test left, and it's at home, so pretty favorable for them.

Anyway, Massey & SOS is updated. Sorry so late, I'm posting and updating from my phone after watching Ryan Kerrigan eat Carson Wentz' lunch. HTTR!

JMUNJ08
October 16th, 2016, 03:49 PM
This could be a weird result for JMU. The #6 team in the country wins on the road vs. a top 25 team (42-12 before a massive late comeback), two teams above them lose and then they drop a spot? Very possible:

- NDSU should still be higher;
- SDSU resume more impressive;
- El Citadel resume more impressive & undefeated;
- Chatty falls below

NDSUtk
October 16th, 2016, 04:44 PM
#1 North Dakota State loses to #11 South Dakota State, giving NDSU their first loss in a year (October 17, 2015), perhaps it's this week that does it for them. I have it on good authority that as you're reading this, David Harris (Northern Iowa's Director of Athletics) is furiously typing an email to try and get the Panthers and Bison scheduled for October 14th next year.

October 13, 2012...loss to Indiana State at home as well. Might be on to something.

RootinFerDukes
October 16th, 2016, 07:12 PM

7-4 Towson last year didn't make it. I think und was also 7 wins when they were stiffed.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2016, 07:16 PM
This could be a weird result for JMU. The #6 team in the country wins on the road vs. a top 25 team (42-12 before a massive late comeback), two teams above them lose and then they drop a spot? Very possible:

- NDSU should still be higher;
- SDSU resume more impressive;
- El Citadel resume more impressive & undefeated;
- Chatty falls below

JMU dropped 2 spots in my poll. Though in reality other teams moved in front of JMU because of their body of work, JMU only dropped as an effect. UNH also was not a top 25 team in my poll, though they were in my top 35 and their close loss to JMU moved them into the top 25 this week.

RootinFerDukes
October 16th, 2016, 07:40 PM
JMU dropped 2 spots in my poll. Though in reality other teams moved in front of JMU because of their body of work, JMU only dropped as an effect. UNH also was not a top 25 team in my poll, though they were in my top 35 and their close loss to JMU moved them into the top 25 this week.

I get that it's your poll, but you aren't willing to consider something a ranked win despite the fact that the collective message board did see UNH as a ranked team?

MR. CHICKEN
October 16th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Why fire Brawk? Is he the one that voted for Sac? Keep seeing you calling for Brawk's head...poor guy.

.......BROCK WAS ACTUALLAH FIRED DIS AFTERNOON......HE WAS REPORTED TA BE MAKIN' $350K/$400K ON GOHENS....DON'T KNOW FO' FACT....IF TRUE.......HE WAS IN DUH FOURTH YEAR UH FIVE CONTRACT......HE WAS HIRED BAH OURAH SINCE FIRED SNAKE OF AN AD....(BUDS FROM TIME @ BOSTON COLLEGE).....HE JES' DIDN'T DELIVER DUH W'S....PECKERHEADS ARE USED TA.....THE MAN WASN'T FIRED....THE COACH WAS........HE'S CONNECTED.......OTHERAH SKOOLS...MAYBE ASSISTANT IN PROS...........BRAWK!

Gangtackle11
October 16th, 2016, 08:49 PM
I like Maine a lot this year. Stud WR's and a decent defense. I see you guys finishing up at 7-4 with a loss to 'Nova.

That will be a tough game for Nova. Nova @ 5-2 needs to win 3 of 4 to get in. Starts with homecoming game with Albany, a bye, @ Maine, JMU, @ Delaware.

Hoping Delaware has packed in by then & not inspired to keep interim coach if they string some wins together. Won't matter if we don't find some consistency on offensive side.

1st things 1st. Albany.

MR. CHICKEN
October 16th, 2016, 09:16 PM
That will be a tough game for Nova. Nova @ 5-2 needs to win 3 of 4 to get in. Starts with homecoming game with Albany, a bye, @ Maine, JMU, @ Delaware.

Hoping Delaware has packed in by then & not inspired to keep interim coach if they string some wins together. Won't matter if we don't find some consistency on offensive side.

1st things 1st. Albany.

......INTERIM COACH.....WON'T BE HIRED......DUH OC/DC'S........WERE FROM LIKE D-II/D-III....DOORMAT SKOOLS......DUH WHOLE BOAT WAS TAKEN ON WA-WA.....RIGHT FROM DUH BEGINNIN'........LOTTAH OFFICES TA CLEAN OUT........OURAH FEMALE AD.....FROM MICHIGAN.......WILL RUN HER DEPARTMENT....LIKE DUH BIG BOYS @ DUH BIG HOUSE DO.....LOSIN' IS NOT ACCEPTABLE ....SHE'S ALREADY COME OUT SWINGIN'......INKIN' UH PACT WHIFF NORFF DAKOTAH STATE....TA FIRE UP ATTENDANCE & GET US EXCITED......SHE'LL FIND UH COACH...WHO'LL GET US READY...FO' 2018/2019......BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2016, 09:56 PM
......INTERIM COACH.....WON'T BE HIRED......DUH OC/DC'S........WERE FROM LIKE D-II/D-III....DOORMAT SKOOLS......DUH WHOLE BOAT WAS TAKEN ON WA-WA.....RIGHT FROM DUH BEGINNIN'........LOTTAH OFFICES TA CLEAN OUT........OURAH FEMALE AD.....FROM MICHIGAN.......WILL RUN HER DEPARTMENT....LIKE DUH BIG BOYS @ DUH BIG HOUSE DO.....LOSIN' IS NOT ACCEPTABLE ....SHE'S ALREADY COME OUT SWINGIN'......INKIN' UH PACT WHIFF NORFF DAKOTAH STATE....TA FIRE UP ATTENDANCE & GET US EXCITED......SHE'LL FIND UH COACH...WHO'LL GET US READY...FO' 2018/2019......BRAWK!

Mr C, Brock never seemed that fired up to be in Newark if you ask me, heck every time I've been in Newark I'm thinking Delaware Football is the only reason this town exists, or at least that's what I thought. Harker came in, the so called Prez, Wharton Business man background, corporate cookie cutter mentality, seemed to clash with the brash swash buckling KC Keeler, Harker seemed like he didn't appreciate that the football program was bigger than him and his college boy ego. He seemed to resent KC Keeler, first order of business for the new AD back in 2012 Eric Zaidy was to fire Keeler, kind of like a hit man order from a mafia controlled boss Harker who has since moved on to the Fed. Zaidy tells the fans that after a "National search" Dave Brock is the man to take Delaware to the promised land.... it was obvious from Day 1 that Brock was just an average Dave on his best day, no energy, no creativity, but a genuine nice normal average guy, and this nice guy did finish last, teams got worse every year. the one thing I thought he was doing well was bringing in some talent on D with his recruiting, but now even the D has regressed.... play to soft, players want to play down hill and they are told to play on heels, developed a losing attitude over time and it was only going to get worse.

The easy part was what our AD did today, firing Brock was a no brainer, but now she has to get it right.
I hope to see a young creative mind, innovative and not afraid to take some chances, doesn't have to be a "Delaware guy" for me, any intelligent prospect can "get it" with the Delaware history. Hen fans have hope again and if any of you AGS'ers have any coaching suggestions let's hear em.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2016, 10:00 PM
I get that it's your poll, but you aren't willing to consider something a ranked win despite the fact that the collective message board did see UNH as a ranked team?

There is very little difference between #24 and #30 this year so even if UNH was my #24 last week (like they were in the AGS aggregate) I don't think I would see JMUs win any differently. It just wasn't good enough to stop the other teams from jumping them in the ranking.

taper
October 16th, 2016, 10:09 PM
7-4 Towson last year didn't make it. I think und was also 7 wins when they were stiffed.

That co-champ 8 win Richmond was probably stiffed. UND was left out because of strength of schedule. They only had 1 win over teams with a winning D1 record. WIU beat 3 teams already in the bracket. Pretty easy decision for that last slot.

WileECoyote06
October 16th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Week 7 is done, but not without its twists and turns along the way, so let's see how teams are doing on the yellow brick road to Frisco...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B6leHFhdgBD_dsFd0rA7uKc974jJhgfA6qeJUfkT4VU/edit?usp=sharing

Perfection: Boy did this one take a hit this week, with three of the five undefeated teams tripping along the path. #1 North Dakota State loses to #11 South Dakota State, giving NDSU their first loss in a year (October 17, 2015), perhaps it's this week that does it for them. I have it on good authority that as you're reading this, David Harris (Northern Iowa's Director of Athletics) is furiously typing an email to try and get the Panthers and Bison scheduled for October 14th next year.

#5 Chattanooga gets their first loss to #7 The Citadel, who remains undefeated and moves to 6-0. #20 Harvard has the most surprising loss of the three teams, losing to a subpar Holy Cross team that looks to be middle of the pack in the Patriot League. #4 Sam Houston State easily handles Abilene Christian, so Sam Houston State and The Citadel are the final two undefeated teams in the FCS.

Of course, Abilene Christian is one of the teams trying to run the table in reverse, they fall to 0-7. Joining them at the kids table is Austin Peay (0-6), Bethune-Cookman (0-5), Delaware State (0-6), and Mississippi Valley State (0-7). Furman gets themselves off the schneid though, with a win over East Tennessee State.

Under The Radar: Last year, Portland State was the surprise team who enjoyed a better than expected season, and while things aren't working out quite as well, there are a few teams that aren't on the HTF sheet with records suggesting they may be worthy of you taking a few seconds to examine.

Weber State (4-2, 3-0) has won four straight games, their only losses this year are to FBS Utah State and #30 South Dakota, on the road, in double-overtime.
North Carolina Central (5-2, 4-0) isn't getting the attention that #22 North Carolina A&T is because A&T has an FBS win that Central doesn't, but NCCU has won 5 straight games and their only losses were to FBS teams, #24 Western Michigan and Duke.

The Coaches Poll: South Carolina State continues to get votes that are most likely meant for South Dakota State, so take those poll numbers with a grain of salt, as that would change the ranking for 28 of the 38 teams that received points in their poll.

Thanks for the shout out. With two consecutive wins over the Aggies, spoiling an outright title both times, you'd think we get more consideration in the MEAC race. Now that we've exorcised our BCU-demons; I don't see any losses on our schedule leading up to the A&T game in our home stadium. Also, despite SCSU getting misplaced votes, they still control their own fate in the title race.

ngineer
October 16th, 2016, 11:25 PM
Lehigh now in Massey's Top 20. The offense continues to impress and the defense is showing signs of improvement. Special teams are clicking. Could be a special year.

superman7515
October 17th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the shout out. With two consecutive wins over the Aggies, spoiling an outright title both times, you'd think we get more consideration in the MEAC race. Now that we've exorcised our BCU-demons; I don't see any losses on our schedule leading up to the A&T game in our home stadium. Also, despite SCSU getting misplaced votes, they still control their own fate in the title race.

Yeah, NCCU has the potential to play spoiler, but that would also answer the question of whether or not the playoff committee will give an invite to the MEAC again. If A&T runs the table and then falls to NCCU in the de facto MEAC championship game, that would put them at 9-2 with an FBS win, and almost certainly still ranked in the Top 25 of the polls. If a Top 25 MEAC team with an FBS victory doesn't get an invite, then the MEAC & SWAC are simply no longer under consideration.

JMUNJ08
October 17th, 2016, 08:25 AM

Not sure how you can really call it a 'close' loss by UNH to move them up. I was overly unimpressed watching the game. Again, we were up by 30 through 50 minutes. There was a clear gap in the 2 teams until JMU let their foot off the gas at the very end.

Otherwise, if I was voting this year, this is their best W to date so a few teams staying ahead/ moving ahead of them after this weekend is what I expected.