PDA

View Full Version : Will the Bison play at the Twin's Target Field

Laker
October 14th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Short article with little information- sounds like D3 St. John's and St. Thomas will play at Target Field next year. The last part of the story says that the Bison might have a game there in 2018. Any truth to that rumor and if so, who would they play?

http://www.startribune.com/sources-target-field-to-host-st-johns-vs-st-thomas-football-in-2017/397095471/

dewey
October 14th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Short article with little information- sounds like D3 St. John's and St. Thomas will play at Target Field next year. The last part of the story says that the Bison might have a game there in 2018. Any truth to that rumor and if so, who would they play?

http://www.startribune.com/sources-target-field-to-host-st-johns-vs-st-thomas-football-in-2017/397095471/

Here is an article from the Fargo Forums Mike McFeely about NDSU playing a game at Target Field.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4122131-mcfeely-ndsu-looks-possible-football-game-target-field

I think NDSU should ply UNI in a two year deal.

Dewey

BisonFan02
October 14th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Rumbles abound, but the rumor of choice was NDSU/UNI each giving up a home game in consecutive years.

ST_Lawson
October 14th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Would the new Vikings stadium (US Bank Stadium) make more or less sense for this?
It's already configured for football, but with it being NFL season, they may not want to have other teams playing in it.
There's a rendering of the inside shown with screens draped down over the upper level if they were worried about not filling the place.

Other issues with going with that?

http://www.vikings.com/assets/images/imported/MIN/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/tempmls-4-120414--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Bisonator
October 14th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Just rumors. This was started by St. Peter to get more events at Target Field. Apparently the Twins suck so bad they need these types of things to help them out.

Professor Chaos
October 14th, 2016, 11:33 AM
From NDSU's perspective I think this is the best effort "replacement" for the fact that no FBS team is likely to touch them in 2018. I'd rather see this be an OOC "road" game so to speak on top of 2 OOC home games. If they have to give up a home game for it I'd be very lukewarm on the whole deal.

dewey
October 14th, 2016, 01:55 PM
From NDSU's perspective I think this is the best effort "replacement" for the fact that no FBS team is likely to touch them in 2018. I'd rather see this be an OOC "road" game so to speak on top of 2 OOC home games. If they have to give up a home game for it I'd be very lukewarm on the whole deal.

I kind of agree with this but I will also say that I live in the MSP area and a game at Target Field would be a home game for me. This does sounds like a good idea considering we cannot get an FBS team to play us in 2018. It makes you wonder would and NDSU vs Sam Houston State at Target Field and then a game between NDSU and SHSU in Houston as part of a home and home make any sense? Or is it an NDSU OOC game?

I think it gets done since it is an easy 3 hour drive from Fargo and there are a lot of NDSU alumni in the MSP area.

Dewey

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2016, 02:01 PM
I vote for Chattanooga and Jacksonville State playing there. :p

Bisonator
October 14th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I vote for Chattanooga and Jacksonville State playing there. :p
Gotta be better then Montgomery.

neverobeyed
October 14th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Rumbles abound, but the rumor of choice was NDSU/UNI each giving up a home game in consecutive years.

Here's fuel for the fire ... Twins' CFO Kip Elliott is a UNI alum,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40

Daytripper
October 14th, 2016, 02:31 PM

SHSU and SFA gave up their home and home rivarly to play at NRG Stadium in Houston and it is an event. Some still don't like it, but most look forward to it each year. You could sell out Target or the new Vikings stadium with all the alums in the that area that don't want to travel to Iowa and/or Fargo to see a game. Of course the season tickets holders will all make the trip anyway..

melloware13
October 14th, 2016, 03:08 PM
One possibility I wouldn't prefer (but has match-ups scheduled) would be if UD and NDSU moved their series to MLB stadiums. Game in 2018 is in Fargo now, 2019 in Newark (MLB would be Minneapolis 2018, Philadelphia or Baltimore 2019).

Bisonoline
October 14th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Would the new Vikings stadium (US Bank Stadium) make more or less sense for this?
It's already configured for football, but with it being NFL season, they may not want to have other teams playing in it.
There's a rendering of the inside shown with screens draped down over the upper level if they were worried about not filling the place.

Other issues with going with that?

http://www.vikings.com/assets/images/imported/MIN/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/tempmls-4-120414--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

ANY football field makes more sense than playing in a BB stadium. The sight lines are freaking terrible. Its nothing more than a gimmick to make money for Minneapolis. There is no upside to this game for us. Especially if the opponent is a tomato can.

ST_Lawson
October 14th, 2016, 04:19 PM
ANY football field makes more sense than playing in a BB stadium. The sight lines are freaking terrible. Its nothing more than a gimmick to make money for Minneapolis. There is no upside to this game for us. Especially if the opponent is a tomato can.

That's what I thought. I haven't ever been to a football game in a baseball stadium (I know that the Illinois/Northwestern game at Wrigley a few years back had some odd issues), but I've marched on a football field lined in a baseball stadium, and it sucked. The outfield stands are so far back in most stadiums that they're practically unusable. I would think that a NDSU vs UNI game at the Vikings stadium would be awesome, but they'd probably have to write NDSU a big check to get you to give up a home game (you guys and your 20 home games a season or whatever...xrolleyesx)

SUPharmacist
October 14th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Its nothing more than a gimmick to make money for Minneapolis. There is no upside to this game for us.

Definitely get the complaints, but disagree about there being no upside. With a decent opponent it would be fun for the fans that go (yes baseball stadium sucks for football), give the alumni in the area a chance to go, and it puts the team in front of the recruits/prospective students in that area. Now certainly it could be botched badly, and I get the problem for a season ticket holder/teammaker that sees it as a possible game being taken from them. Definitely realize my opinion is very biased as someone who is downtown Minneapolis every day.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 14th, 2016, 06:30 PM
IDK about Target Field but a game at US Bank would be awesome and I would go. With all of the alum down in the cities, there would be a good crowd. Sacrificing a home game would not the best idea but in a 12 season it would definitely work.

CHIP72
October 14th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Re: Football games at baseball parks.

I was at Lehigh/Lafayette 150 at Yankee Stadium III a couple years ago, and the seating isn't ideal, but as long as you aren't sitting too close to the field (too low), it's not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Re: Football games at baseball parks.

I was at Lehigh/Lafayette 150 at Yankee Stadium III a couple years ago, and the seating isn't ideal, but as long as you aren't sitting too close to the field (too low), it's not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that you need to sit in an upper level for a football games at baseball stadiums. The lower level has too gentle of a pitch that creates terrible depth perception. Our seats for #150 were solid given the venue.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10501830_877548065610959_6116310697977847371_n.jpg ?oh=72bb07c1386c64916f618b8423faac34&oe=58623E7F

neverobeyed
October 14th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Definitely get the complaints, but disagree about there being no upside. With a decent opponent it would be fun for the fans that go (yes baseball stadium sucks for football), give the alumni in the area a chance to go, and it puts the team in front of the recruits/prospective students in that area. Now certainly it could be botched badly, and I get the problem for a season ticket holder/teammaker that sees it as a possible game being taken from them. Definitely realize my opinion is very biased as someone who is downtown Minneapolis every day.

Given the number of NDSU hats, shirts and ads (billboard and print) I see daily (literally, daily) in the Twin Cities ... I suspect they would sell 20k tickets for a game anywhere in the Twin Cities before the press conference announcing it was even finished.

Bisonwinagn
October 14th, 2016, 10:39 PM

There has been zero discussion anywhere about playing 2 games. That's complete nonsense and made up by people who have no clue. The game could be against UNI, but it would definitely be the home game for NDSU.

BisonFan02
October 14th, 2016, 10:57 PM
There has been zero discussion anywhere about playing 2 games. That's complete nonsense and made up by people who have no clue. The game could be against UNI, but it would definitely be the home game for NDSU.

Oh really now? Please.....humor me with your thoughts and sources oh wise one. xlolx

Bisonoline
October 14th, 2016, 11:15 PM

The biggest thing is a very good opponent. The AD said he didnt think the opponent was as important as the destination and venue. Really? Who wants to go to the cities to watch a beat down of a tomato can in a baseball stadium with high priced tickets? Does he think the people of ND are so starved for entertainment that they cant wait to visit the cities as its some holy mecca? Its 2.5 hours down the road. You can go there anytime. I think hes betting on the come with this game. He think because the bison travel so well that they will naturally be lemmings and flock to the cities. Not me. Its going to have to be a really good opponent for me to even think about this trip.

Bisonoline
October 14th, 2016, 11:17 PM
IDK about Target Field but a game at US Bank would be awesome and I would go. With all of the alum down in the cities, there would be a good crowd. Sacrificing a home game would not the best idea but in a 12 season it would definitely work.

OH YEAH . US Bank would be great.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 15th, 2016, 07:29 AM
OH YEAH . US Bank would be great.

I would still probably go to a game at Target Field just to see how it all turns out. The opponent would have to be a good one to draw a really good crowd. A tomato can would draw Bison fans but a really good opponent would really draw them in IMO.

Losing a home game is not the way to go IMO. Or have the 6 home games and make this the FBS game.