PDA

View Full Version : Weird Happenings In The Big South..

BigSouthFan
October 13th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Word from Clay Travis with Fox Sports Radio, is that for LSU and Florida to reschedule their game to 11/19, LSU would play South Alabama on 10/29, and Florida would play Presbyterian on 10/22. Negotiations are ongoing at this point. Big check for Presby. Only problem is, Presby is scheduled to play a conference game against Charleston Southern on that same date, 10/22. So in order to collect that check, they would have to forfeit a conference W to Charleston Southern. Is this possible? Has this ever happened before to one of you guys' teams? And is it smart? PC will likely finish at the bottom of the conference and have little shot to win the game so why not collect the check?

And another thing..

If PC did happen to forfeit the game to Charleston Southern, that would make 28 days in between games for Charleston Southern..

10/1 Coastal Carolina - W 59-58 (2OT)
10/6 Albany State - CANCELED due to Hurricane Matthew
10/15 BYE
10/22 Prebyterian - W (forfeit)
10/29 Bucknell

Have you ever seen a team go 28 days without a game without it being the offseason??? xeyebrowx

superman7515
October 13th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Only problem is, Presby is scheduled to play a conference game against Charleston Southern on that same date, 10/22. So in order to collect that check, they would have to forfeit a conference W to Charleston Southern. Is this possible? Has this ever happened before to one of you guys' teams? And is it smart? PC will likely finish at the bottom of the conference and have little shot to win the game so why not collect the check?

In 2009, Delaware State forfeited a conference game against North Carolina A&T in order to play Michigan for a $500,000 payday, a 63-6 beatdown, and two losses in one day.

ESPN, at the time, said if you made a list of the 10 dumbest things ever done by a university, Delaware State would occupy spots 1-5.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2016, 11:12 AM
If Presbyterian does this, they are basically admitting that they have given up on this season...and after seeing them play in person, I would tell them to take the money.

If you tell the alumni that you are going to use this money to buy a new coaching staff, they would be on board too. ;)

RootinFerDukes
October 13th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I say to hell with the sec. They can play the game on a Tuesday and God forbid they have a short week and only 20k show up to the game.

longtimemocfan
October 13th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Seems to me Presbyterian stiffed us one year to play a FBS game that left us scrambling to fill the schedule. Think it was filled with a D2 team.

Laker
October 13th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Word from Clay Travis with Fox Sports Radio, is that for LSU and Florida to reschedule their game to 11/19, LSU would play South Alabama on 10/29, and Florida would play Presbyterian on 10/22. Negotiations are ongoing at this point.

Why don't they have LSU play Florida on 11/19 and have Presbyterian play South Florida in Mobile that day? Money can go to hurricane relief.

This LSU-Florida game needs to be played or the SEC will end up looking like the Big 12.

walliver
October 13th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Why don't they have LSU play Florida on 11/19 and have Presbyterian play South Florida in Mobile that day? Money can go to hurricane relief.

This LSU-Florida game needs to be played or the SEC will end up looking like the Big 12.

Apparently LSU is not willing to give up a home game (nor is Florida).

My guess is that unless LSU wins the west and UF the east, these two may not play at all this year (unless they can somehow be teamed up in a bowl).

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Seems to me Presbyterian stiffed us one year to play a FBS game that left us scrambling to fill the schedule. Think it was filled with a D2 team.

Yes, they played Vanderbilt and the Mocs ended up with Glenville State.

I am pretty sure Glenville was nationally ranked, so we probably got a tougher game. ;)

caribbeanhen
October 13th, 2016, 01:43 PM
In 2009, Delaware State forfeited a conference game against North Carolina A&T in order to play Michigan for a $500,000 payday, a 63-6 beatdown, and two losses in one day.

ESPN, at the time, said if you made a list of the 10 dumbest things ever done by a university, Delaware State would occupy spots 1-5.

where do you think that 500,000 is today Superman?

Libertine
October 13th, 2016, 02:24 PM
If PC did happen to forfeit the game to Charleston Southern, that would make 28 days in between games for Charleston Southern..

10/1 Coastal Carolina - W 59-58 (2OT)
10/6 Albany State - CANCELED due to Hurricane Matthew
10/15 BYE
10/22 Prebyterian - W (forfeit)
10/29 Bucknell

That scenario would also leave CSU playing a nine-game schedule with one of them being a D2 school.

LUnpretty11
October 13th, 2016, 02:50 PM
This would be bad for college football all the way around. I hope PC doesn't fold to the pressure of a non-impactful paycheck. Their program isn't going to be a top 25 team anytime soon, so why give the SEC a favor? It would show college football that FCS is willing to roll over to FBS on a moments notice and nobody wants to see that happen. Agreed with whoever said have LSU vs. Florida play on a Tuesday. FIO - Figure It Out and move on SEC.

dgtw
October 13th, 2016, 02:59 PM
That scenario would also leave CSU playing a nine-game schedule with one of them being a D2 school.

I assume the forfeit would still count as a win for CSU towards how ever many you need for an at-large bid, if they need one.

flyrod
October 13th, 2016, 03:04 PM
"Dont Sell the FCS out"
I know every school wants/needs money ...but this may be one of the times principle should reign.
they are big boys FBS let them accomodate each other..heck theres plenty of time bowl games dont start till mid Dec...
why dont they just play in middle of the week...short rest game. 3 days rest or something like that if they can agree on a weekend date.

Hammerhead
October 13th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Heard on the radio that Florida is playing at LSU on Nov 19th.

dgtw
October 13th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Heard on the radio that Florida is playing at LSU on Nov 19th.

Yes. LSU will now go to Gainesville in 2017 and 2018. USA and Presbyterian are getting bought out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libertine
October 13th, 2016, 05:31 PM
USA and Presbyterian are getting bought out.

Presby gets paid a half mil to play anywhere else but Florida. Not a bad deal for the Hose.

walliver
October 13th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Presby gets paid a half mil to play anywhere else but Florida. Not a bad deal for the Hose.

They get paid for an a$$ kicking without having to get their a$$es kicked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

superman7515
October 13th, 2016, 06:25 PM

where do you think that 500,000 is today Superman?

The next year, Delaware State settled out of court with the equestrian team and several recruits who had signed LOI's. They sued Delaware State under several fronts; Title IX for a historic lack of opportunity for women, racial discrimination saying that the reason DelState was attempting to cut equestrian is because it was filled with white females, and since they were at an HBCU, they were the racial minority, and breach of contract with the recruits because they had signed LOI's and were no longer able to accept scholarships from other schools.

They had to fully fund the program for another year, honor all of the scholarships, pay all legal fees incurred by the team (they were represented by the Women's Law Project and two large firms out of Philadelphia and Wilmington so it was a large amount). All in all, I'd say it was gone within eight months of the game being played.

Schism55
October 13th, 2016, 06:35 PM
The next year, Delaware State settled out of court with the equestrian team and several recruits who had signed LOI's. They sued Delaware State under several fronts; Title IX for a historic lack of opportunity for women, racial discrimination saying that the reason DelState was attempting to cut equestrian is because it was filled with white females, and since they were at an HBCU, they were the racial minority, and breach of contract with the recruits because they had signed LOI's and were no longer able to accept scholarships from other schools.

They had to fully fund the program for another year, honor all of the scholarships, pay all legal fees incurred by the team (they were represented by the Women's Law Project and two large firms out of Philadelphia and Wilmington so it was a large amount). All in all, I'd say it was gone within eight months of the game being played.
Good to see that money was well spent :(

kdinva
October 13th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Maybe Presby could visit USA on 11/19, get $350K or so........

Professor Chaos
October 13th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Maybe Presby could visit USA on 11/19, get $350K or so........
Would make sense given the lack of options both schools will have. I'm guessing South Alabama has some bowl aspirations after beating Mississippi St on the road to start the season and taking down a ranked San Diego St squad last week to get to 3-2. They've already played an FCS game (OT win over Nicholls) so another FCS win wouldn't count towards bowl eligibility but they don't really have options anymore to get another FBS game.

bonarae
October 13th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Has a schedule change happened so late into the season for non-weather related reasons? Or was it indirectly related to weather? xconfusedx

walliver
October 13th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Has a schedule change happened so late into the season for non-weather related reasons? Or was it indirectly related to weather? xconfusedx

In 2013, Charleston Southern was allowed to play a 13th game due to a cancellation due to weather on Colorado's schedule.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Charleston_Southern_Buccaneers_football_team

And 9/11 caused a tremendous number of schedule changes.

Sader87
October 13th, 2016, 11:24 PM
Lot of college games were cancelled after JFK's assassination...the NFL did play the following Sunday.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2016, 11:46 PM
Personally I'm just amazed that the author of this thread correctly predicted that Presbyterian would beat Monmouth today xbangxxbangxxbangx

Laker
October 14th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Lot of college games were cancelled after JFK's assassination...the NFL did play the following Sunday.

Yes- Pete Rozelle said that was probably the biggest mistake that he made as commissioner. Players didn't want to play. Every network had the JFK news 24/7- the games weren't even televised to my knowledge. But I did see when Lee Harvey Oswald shot by Jack Ruby on national TV. The country seemed to be in a daze for four days- Friday through Monday.

superman7515
October 14th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Yes- Pete Rozelle said that was probably the biggest mistake that he made as commissioner. Players didn't want to play. Every network had the JFK news 24/7- the games weren't even televised to my knowledge. But I did see when Lee Harvey Oswald shot by Jack Ruby on national TV. The country seemed to be in a daze for four days- Friday through Monday.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/11/19/

There was no blueprint for what to do on the weekend that a president is being buried on national television. In Wisconsin more than 100 high school basketball games were played on the night of the assassination. Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore ran all weekend, and games were played in both the NBA and the NHL. In college football Nebraska and Oklahoma played each other, but all four games in the Big Ten were rescheduled, and Iowa and Notre Dame canceled their game. The AFL wiped out its entire slate of games, but Rozelle had made Sunday afternoons the property of the NFL, and because of that he was on the hook.

He called his college friend Pierre Salinger, who was Kennedy's press secretary. Speaking from the Honolulu airport, shell-shocked by the events of the day, Salinger gave Rozelle what amounted to the dead president's permission to play. "Football," Rozelle said in making the announcement, "was Mr. Kennedy's game."

The reaction very nearly undid Rozelle. At least two owners called and begged him to reconsider. Cleveland's Art Modell wound up paying for extra security to guard the Dallas Cowboys (http://www.si.com/nfl/team/dallas-cowboys), who were in town that weekend to play the Browns (http://www.si.com/nfl/team/cleveland-browns). In Philadelphia, Eagles owner Frank McNamee announced that he would miss his first game in 15 years and Mayor James H.J. Tate, who'd shared a platform at Independence Hall with President Kennedy a year earlier on July 4, tried to get a court to stop the Eagles-Redskins game.

WestCoastAggie
October 14th, 2016, 11:31 AM

They also had to give us cash for blowing us off that year.

jsnow84
October 14th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Florida has a bigger challenge than PC in a non-contact practice every day. Pretty good deal for PC though, half a mil and no injuries.