PDA

View Full Version : 2017 FCS Kickoff: UTC @ Jacksonville State?

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 06:45 PM
On our fan board as well as the Mocs board there have been rumors circulating about a big announcement tomorrow morning at 10AM eastern from UTC's program supposedly being announcement of the FCS Kickoff. Oddly though, the rumors are also saying the game will be in either Montgomery or Atlanta rather than being in Jacksonville.

Anyone heard anything?

Gene Henley with the Chattanooga Times Free Press tweeted this out as well.

https://twitter.com/genehenleytfp/status/785935740601372672

Schism55
October 11th, 2016, 06:49 PM
That would require UTC to actually play a tough fcs opponent OOC. Color me doubtful. Guess we'll know soon enough at any rate.

Bisonator
October 11th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Would be a good match up.

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 06:53 PM
That would require UTC to actually play a tough fcs opponent OOC. Color me doubtful. Guess we'll know soon enough at any rate.

They are playing us next year reguardless of whether it's the kickoff or not. Unless they want a buyout we have them on contract for a game in Jacksonville next year and in 2019.

Bisonator
October 11th, 2016, 06:58 PM
They are playing us next year reguardless of whether it's the kickoff or not. Unless they want a buyout we have them on contract for a game in Jacksonville next year and in 2019.

That would make sense then. Good match already scheduled just move the game up. Done deal. Hope you guys put on a show!

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 07:00 PM
That would make sense then. Good match already scheduled just move the game up. Done deal. Hope you guys put on a show!
I do hope it is what the announcement is. Our games with UTC are always wildly entertaining. I just hope it's actually in Jacksonville.

Schism55
October 11th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Oh haha, don't mind me xlolx
Should be an exciting game!

Professor Chaos
October 11th, 2016, 07:03 PM
It would make a lot of sense and be a great choice for the game.

I hope this "big announcement" has a little more substance to it than the recent "big announcements" by the Big South and Big Sky.

BisonTru
I'd guess Chatty has developed an app. Yay! xlolxxcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
Maybe a double header with the already announced Richmond @Sammy State game?

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Completely forgot about that game. A double header would be pretty cool.

-----

Just double checked but the Richmond vs. SHSU game is Thursday August 31.

Isn't the kickoff normally on Saturday before everyone else starts? That date is still open.

JSU02
October 11th, 2016, 07:14 PM
http://m.wsfa.com/wsfa/db_330846/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=OHHPCkUL

Montgomery?????🙄😫

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 07:15 PM
the game will be in Montgomery

I can't say anything about this because I work in the athletics department.

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 07:17 PM
http://m.wsfa.com/wsfa/db_330846/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=OHHPCkUL

Montgomery?????

NOOOOOOOOOOO. I wanted a home game. xbawlingx

- - - Updated - - -

How unfortunate, a confirmation would be really assuring. xnodx

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 07:23 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO. I wanted a home game. xbawlingx

- - - Updated - - -

Slick.

On the upside, JSU will host a nationally televised game on ESPN with no other college football game in sight.

Milktruck74
October 11th, 2016, 07:25 PM

Who leaked it???? How'd you let Weids get scooped? You were just commenting about how much you loved his dual coverage stories...haha.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Who leaked it???? How'd you let Weids get scooped? You were just commenting about how much you loved his dual coverage stories...haha.

Gene Henley is the one that got blown on this one. They were trying to hold it to Wednesday morning and the two schools where waiting, but apparently someone let the cat out of the bag in Montgomery.

That being said, I have already made my reservations. ;)

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Is this game a yearly thing?

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Is this game a yearly thing?

It is a first year event that is being put together by ESPN Events...I assume they want to turn it into a yearly event with different teams.

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 07:34 PM
It is a first year event that is being put together by ESPN events...I assume they want to turn it into a yearly event with different teams in different locations.

Aww, I was hoping that our series was turning into a yearly thing. That would be epic.

Milktruck74
October 11th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Not having to go to Jacksonville is a plus!!!! JSU fans get to spend a nice weekend at some great restaurants in the Scenic City.....We get to hang out in Jacksonville and pick between the Waffle House and Cooter's Rib Shack. I think we know who gets the bad end of the plunger on that one!!! Montgomery it is!!!

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Aww, I was hoping that our series was turning into a yearly thing. That would be epic.

If we can both stay in the top 5, maybe it will!

(and if the two schools sell a lot of tickets the first year)

Mocs123
October 11th, 2016, 07:47 PM
I too would like to see the UTC-JSU series be a yearly thing.

I was planning on being out of town on 8/26/17, I am glad they announced it early when I can still change my plans.

Hopefully we can have a bunch of Chattanooga fans make the 3.5hr trip down.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 07:49 PM
It has been agony sitting on this news since Saturday. :)

I am really excited about it...it is HUGE exposure for both programs.

I will have a bunch of stuff posted about the location, hotels, etc up on Mocfans later tonight.

http://moctalk.yuku.com/topic/27822/

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Not having to go to Jacksonville is a plus!!!! JSU fans get to spend a nice weekend at some great restaurants in the Scenic City.....We get to hang out in Jacksonville and pick between the Waffle House and Cooter's Rib Shack. I think we know who gets the bad end of the plunger on that one!!! Montgomery it is!!!

Anything not to not play us in Burgess again, right? :D

If we can both stay in the top 5, maybe it will!

(and if the two schools sell a lot of tickets the first year)

I can't help but think that if it was at our place it would be an automatic sellout.

The exposure is fantastic but I would rather have it as a home and home rather than in Montgomery.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Since the JSU fans seem convinced that UTC is going to renege on the contract, I almost went over to the JSU fan board yesterday to guarantee them that UTC would not be playing at Jacksonville next year, just to watch all the heads explode. ;)

Milktruck74
October 11th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Anything not to not play us in Burgess again, right? :D

No, I just want our players not to have to trash the same locker room twice.

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Since the JSU fans seem convinced that UTC is going to renege on the contract, I almost went over to the JSU fan board yesterday to guarantee them that UTC would not be playing at Jacksonville next year, just to watch all the heads explode. ;)
It appears most of the guys over there aren't surprised by the fact you guys aren't returning our home game anyway. :D

dgtw
October 11th, 2016, 08:04 PM
I do not give a rat's ass about Montgomery. I do not care what there is to do because I will not be doing it. I am pissed at our AD for costing us a home game against a team we traveled to twice. The only consolation is they have a longer drive.

Way to screw over your fans and students. **** this game and I hope whoever is putting it on loses their shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaxSinfonian
October 11th, 2016, 08:05 PM

It's Cooter Brown's Rib Shack, and you're right -- you guys do get the better end of the bargain on that one.

Seriously, though, I enjoy our trips to 'Nooga for this series, and would rather drive to Finley than the Crampton Bowl. You can smell Troy from Montgomery when the wind is right.

Mocs123
October 11th, 2016, 08:17 PM
I agree that there isn't much there but Cooter Browns Rib Shack isn't half bad. I always enjoy my trips to Jacksonville (at least until the last minute or two of the game it seems lately) and personally I would rather drive to Jacksonville than Montgomery but I imagine it was too appealing to both AD's to get a game on ESPN with no other games on.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 08:40 PM
I do not give a rat's ass about Montgomery. I do not care what there is to do because I will not be doing it. I am pissed at our AD for costing us a home game against a team we traveled to twice. The only consolation is they have a longer drive.

Way to screw over your fans and students. **** this game and I hope whoever is putting it on loses their shirt.

Here is the email address to send your complaints:

Greg Seitz
Athletic Director
[email protected]
256-782-5368

;)

Schism55
October 11th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Anyone know the thinking behind this being in Montgomery?

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Anyone know the thinking behind this being in Montgomery?

I would assume since EPSN "owns" the Camellia Bowl (they made it up and run it), they were looking for another way to animate the Cramton Bowl. ESPN Events is who put this together and paid JSU for the right to do it.

JSU02
October 11th, 2016, 08:53 PM
I would assume since EPSN basically "owns" the Camellia Bowl (they made it up and run it), they were looking for another way to animate the Cramton Bowl. ESPN Events is who put this together and paid JSU for the right to do it.
How much did they pay?

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 08:56 PM
How much did they pay?

That I don't know. But it would have to be pretty good for JSU to give up a home game.

I would assume that JSU season ticket holders will get some sort of package deal and the rest of the tickets sold JSU gets a sizable cut.

JaxSinfonian
October 11th, 2016, 09:02 PM
I agree that there isn't much there but Cooter Browns Rib Shack isn't half bad. I always enjoy my trips to Jacksonville (at least until the last minute or two of the game it seems lately) and personally I would rather drive to Jacksonville than Montgomery but I imagine it was too appealing to both AD's to get a game on ESPN with no other games on.

Yeah, it's a small town. I could probably draw up an itinerary, though, that would keep Mocs fans entertained for the duration of a weekend's stay and distract from their disappointment in the loss.

I sort of understand, but do not share, the attraction to a nationally televised game at a neutral site two and a half hours from campus. If JSU was hosting the FCS Kickoff, as EWU, Montana and NDSU have done, this would make perfect sense to me. But the game was already contracted to be played -- we didn't need ESPN to play matchmaker -- at home in a stadium upgraded to shine under just this sort of light. ESPN wants to broadcast it? Cool; tell 'em to c'mon down. We'll move the date up for 'em.

Instead, JSU's core fans, who tend to live within 90 miles of the campus, will be inconvenienced with a 125-mile drive to a city that isn't on anyone's bucket list unless they're civil rights or Civil War history buffs. Montgomery's not the worst place in the world (that's 50 miles down U.S. 231), but it's also not a place you're likely to visit unless it happens to be the location of an event you don't want to miss.

I'm normally the last fan to publicly criticize the athletic department, and maybe there's more to this than we know yet -- heck it isn't even officially announced. So, I want to grant them the benefit of the doubt, especially since they've done so much right in the last few years. I just don't see the attraction of this venue for this game for the loyal JSU ticket-buying public.

Schism55
October 11th, 2016, 09:09 PM
I would assume since EPSN "owns" the Camellia Bowl (they made it up and run it), they were looking for another way to animate the Cramton Bowl. ESPN Events is who put this together and paid JSU for the right to do it.
I can understand that. Thank you for the knowledge good sir.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Yeah, it's a small town. I could probably draw up an itinerary, though, that would keep Mocs fans entertained for the duration of a weekend's stay and distract from their disappointment in the loss.

I sort of understand, but do not share, the attraction to a nationally televised game at a neutral site two and a half hours from campus. If JSU was hosting the FCS Kickoff, as EWU, Montana and NDSU have done, this would make perfect sense to me. But the game was already contracted to be played -- we didn't need ESPN to play matchmaker -- at home in a stadium upgraded to shine under just this sort of light. ESPN wants to broadcast it? Cool; tell 'em to c'mon down. We'll move the date up for 'em.

Instead, JSU's core fans, who tend to live within 90 miles of the campus, will be inconvenienced with a 125-mile drive to a city that isn't on anyone's bucket list unless they're civil rights or Civil War history buffs. Montgomery's not the worst place in the world (that's 50 miles down U.S. 231), but it's also not a place you're likely to visit unless it happens to be the location of an event you don't want to miss.

I'm normally the last fan to publicly criticize the athletic department, and maybe there's more to this than we know yet -- heck it isn't even officially announced. So, I want to grant them the benefit of the doubt, especially since they've done so much right in the last few years. I just don't see the attraction of this venue for this game for the loyal JSU ticket-buying public.

Don't get me wrong, I get your frustration (it is easier and less expensive for UTC fans to drive 90 minutes than 3 1/2 hours). I know there would be plenty of UTC fans saying the same thing if the moccasin was on the other foot.

But, from a program standpoint, this is huge to get a game on the mothership, with absolutely zero competition...and getting paid for it. Unfortunately, when it comes to sports, it's ESPN's world and we are all just living in it...and I assume playing it in Montegomery was the only way it was going to happen.

UCMoc
October 11th, 2016, 09:18 PM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2016/oct/11/utc-football-play-2017-kickoff-classic/391454/

Here is the link from The Chattanooga paper. Sorry if it's already up, I didn't see it.

Bisonator
October 11th, 2016, 09:20 PM
That would suck. Especially after traveling to Chatty. How many does that stadium seat? Gotta think JSU got the shaft on this deal.

Mocs123
October 11th, 2016, 09:23 PM
I understand your frustration with losing a home game and the added drive ( for both JSU fans and UTC fans alike) and the added distance make keep my wife and kids from going (especially with a good ESPN feed) but I plan on being there since I always have enjoyed UTC-JSU games so much (hopefully I enjoy this one more than the JSU fans).

Hopefully we have a good contengent go down for the game - a sellout would be really fun.

UCMoc
October 11th, 2016, 09:26 PM
That would suck. Especially after traveling to Chatty. How many does that stadium seat? Gotta think JSU got the shaft on this deal.

Mocs123
October 11th, 2016, 09:27 PM

Not if they got $$$ from ESPN

Bisonator
October 11th, 2016, 09:34 PM

Yeah be interesting to see how much. Still would suck as a season ticket holder. I could see moving it to a bigger facility in a better location but Mobile? You'd think ESPN would have a better product having it in JSU's stadium.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Yeah be interesting to see how much. Still would suck as a season ticket holder. I could see moving it to a bigger facility in a better location but Mobile? You'd think ESPN would have a better product having it in JSU's stadium.

Montgomery (not as nice as Mobile)

Schism55
October 11th, 2016, 09:41 PM
....and how does that help JSU fans?

JSU02
October 11th, 2016, 09:44 PM
....and how does that help JSU fans?
Good question. Hopefully a nice down payment on a new scoreboard?

JaxSinfonian
October 11th, 2016, 09:45 PM

Montgomery. Your point stands, though.

There's an important thing to note in this story (http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/jsu/jsu-set-to-face-chattanooga-on-espn-in-montgomery-in/article_b73f9a36-9024-11e6-bcf4-dbc5c2d83c74.html): This game apparently doesn't count as one of the two Chattanooga owes JSU at Burgess-Snow in the four-game series they started in 2014.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 09:51 PM

There's an important thing to note in this story (http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/jsu/jsu-set-to-face-chattanooga-on-espn-in-montgomery-in/article_b73f9a36-9024-11e6-bcf4-dbc5c2d83c74.html): This game apparently doesn't count as one of the two Chattanooga owes JSU at Burgess-Snow in the four-game series they started in 2014.

That actually makes sense.

BisonTru
October 11th, 2016, 09:55 PM

That's huge. From what I saw at some Chattanooga highlights, they don't get a lot of fans for home games. This game should be at least 75% JSU fans and not take away two future home games with Chattanooga.

The kickoff game is a great promotion of your football program as well as the school. You're the only game on, on national tv, at a time most football junkies have been football starved for 8 months.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2016, 09:59 PM
That's huge. From what I saw at some Chattanooga highlights, they don't get a lot of fans for home games. This game should be at least 75% JSU fans and not take away two future home games with Chattanooga.

The kickoff game is a great promotion of your football program as well as the school. You're the only game on, on national tv, at a time most football junkies have been football starved for 8 months.

It depends on who we play. Usually get 15k+ for games like ASU, JSU, or GSU.

And ask the JSU fans how many UTC fans showed up for the playoffs in Jacksonville last year. There were a few thousand Mocs in attendance.

In the last hour, my tailgate group already booked a block of 25 hotel rooms at the Embassy downtown.

It's going to be fun, with a bowl game type atmosphere.

Mocs123
October 11th, 2016, 10:00 PM

We draw ~10K in a ~21K stadium. 90% sit on the "home" side which is not the side shown on any highlights or on TV. It does look terrible though.

Cocky
October 11th, 2016, 10:19 PM
I like living so I will miss any chance to go to Montgomery. Could be the most dangerous city in the USA.

I could careless if it for money, ESPN or anything else. You should have your games at home.

JaxSinfonian
October 11th, 2016, 10:29 PM
I like living so I will miss any chance to go to Montgomery. Could be the most dangerous city in the USA.

I'd rather the game was going to be in J'ville, but I don't have any problem visiting Montgomery. Went for the season opener against Alabama State in 2007 and had a great time except for the outcome. Montgomery's a bit dull for a city its size, but there'll be decent food to eat somewhere, and this is an in-state road game closer than Troy. There's no way I'm not going. If you skip it out of fear you'll be shorting yourself a Gamecock football game for no good reason.

Scrappy94
October 11th, 2016, 10:30 PM
I have absolutely no problem with having this game in Montgomery. If it means not having to go Jacksonville, I'll take it. I have no desire to ever go to Jacksonville again after seeing the behavior of their players, one in particular, and even some of their fans last year. Worst game day experience I've ever had. This had nothing to do with the loss. I had already had a terrible experience before the outcome of the game was even decided.

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Good question. Hopefully a nice down payment on a new scoreboard?
If this is actually what the money goes to I won't say a single negative thing about us getting screwed out of a home game.

Our scoreboard is almost as terrible as UTC's...

JaxSinfonian
October 11th, 2016, 10:36 PM
I have absolutely no problem with having this game in Montgomery. If it means not having to go Jacksonville, I'll take it. I have no desire to ever go to Jacksonville again after seeing the behavior of their players, one in particular, and even some of their fans last year. Worst game day experience I've ever had. This had nothing to do with the loss. I had already had a terrible experience before the outcome of the game was even decided.

Maybe you're just not used to having that many people around you at a football game?

BisonTru
October 11th, 2016, 10:39 PM
If this is actually what the money goes to I won't say a single negative thing about us getting screwed out of a home game.

Our scoreboard is almost as terrible as UTC's...

You're not. It's already been posted this doesn't count towards the two games Chatty owes you. You're getting a neutral site game on national tv that is significantly closer than your opponent.

If anyone should be upset it's the chatty folks, but really this game will be a great showcase for both programs.

JSUSoutherner
October 11th, 2016, 10:41 PM
You're not. It's already been posted this doesn't count towards the two games Chatty owes you. You're getting a neutral site game on national tv that is significantly closer than your opponent.

If anyone should be upset it's the chatty folks, but really this game will be a great showcase for both programs.
Yeah I didn't see that post until after I made that one.

Still JSU stadium makes Cramton look like a glorified high school stadium.

ESPN is really the only plus about this IMO. (At least until we figure out if we're getting money)

Cocky
October 11th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Why not have the game in ATL, Nashville,Bham, or even Huntsville?

BisonTru
October 11th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Yeah I didn't see that post until after I made that one.

Still JSU stadium makes Cramton look like a glorified high school stadium.

ESPN is really the only plus about this IMO. (At least until we figure out if we're getting money)

I'm not sure how the revenue will be split shared between ESPN, Chatty, and JSU, but if it's 50% or more of a home game for both institutions it's a win.

On ESPN a week before any one else, is huge. It may take some time to let this sink in, but I think JSU fans after the fact will look at this as a good move.

JaxSinfonian
October 11th, 2016, 11:12 PM

Because it's a city-owned venue of just the right size for an FCS game, in a city that is likely willing to pull out all the stops to make this happen. The new Atlanta stadium, Nashville's Nissan Stadium, and Birmingham's Legion Field would have tons of empty seats and look bad on TV. Plus, Atlanta and Nashville would never know the game was happening, and even Birmingham might struggle to notice. Huntsville's the right size, but there's no good venue. (I don't think it makes sense to play it at another school's stadium, so AAMU's Louis Crews is out.)

Basically, ESPN likely has a very willing partner in the city of Montgomery, which owns the Cramton Bowl and will probably be footing lots of the cost for the game. The city will be just as eager for the ESPN cameras as the football programs are, and will be thrilled to have several thousand visitors in town spending money.

It's the same concept as the neutral-site kickoff games in Atlanta and Dallas, but scaled down for FCS.

ASU33
October 11th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Interesting.

BigSouthFan
October 12th, 2016, 01:17 AM

Atlanta is the most attractive city. Question is, where would you have it in ATL that wouldn't make the crowd look like a crowd for a 5A GA High School State Championship game? Clark Atlanta? Hell no. The amount of empty seats in the GA Dome or GT's stadium would be bad for TV.

- - - Updated - - -

And sorry I didn't see the post that's 2 posts above mine. Kind of making the same point.

ASU33
October 12th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Atlanta is the most attractive city. Question is, where would you have it in ATL that wouldn't make the crowd look like a crowd for a 5A GA High School State Championship game? Clark Atlanta? Hell no. The amount of empty seats in the GA Dome or GT's stadium would be bad for TV.

- - - Updated - - -

And sorry I didn't see the post that's 2 posts above mine. Kind of making the same point.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herndon_Stadium

Too bad Herndon Stadium over at Morris Brown isn't up and running anymore.

JSU02
October 12th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Herndon would have work well. MB stadium would have been nice in soccer configuration. However I don't think ATL would have supported the game very well. Just look at GA State/GA Tech attendance.
As crappy as Montgomery is, some of those people might actually come to the game.

Cocky
October 12th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Because it's a city-owned venue of just the right size for an FCS game, in a city that is likely willing to pull out all the stops to make this happen. The new Atlanta stadium, Nashville's Nissan Stadium, and Birmingham's Legion Field would have tons of empty seats and look bad on TV. Plus, Atlanta and Nashville would never know the game was happening, and even Birmingham might struggle to notice. Huntsville's the right size, but there's no good venue. (I don't think it makes sense to play it at another school's stadium, so AAMU's Louis Crews is out.)

Basically, ESPN likely has a very willing partner in the city of Montgomery, which owns the Cramton Bowl and will probably be footing lots of the cost for the game. The city will be just as eager for the ESPN cameras as the football programs are, and will be thrilled to have several thousand visitors in town spending money.

It's the same concept as the neutral-site kickoff games in Atlanta and Dallas, but scaled down for FCS.

A&M stadium is as nice as the Crampton Bowl, my opinion nicer.. If your going to Montgomery at least go to State's beautiful stadium.

JSU02
October 12th, 2016, 07:33 AM
A&M stadium is as nice as the Crampton Bowl, my opinion nicer.. If your going to Montgomery at least go to State's beautiful stadium.

Louis Crew's is awful. The seats are a quarter mile from the field.

RootinFerDukes
October 12th, 2016, 07:41 AM
All Fcs Kickoff game MUST be at on campus stadiums unless that school regularly uses another stadium off campus.
The point is not to show off a 75% empty Georgia dome, for example.

I hope Jacksonville state gets it and they branch out somewhere east of the Mississippi for a change.

Mocs123
October 12th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Wow. I have always had a great time in Jacksonville. Yes Barge acted like an a$$ but I am sure there were some classless things said on both sides between our fans/students and Barge/family(sitting in the visitors section). Most JSU fans have been nice -better than the App fans used to be in Boone.

The fact we still talk about these games (and the locker room thing) is proof that it is a great rivalry.

If I am an AD at either school, I want to keep a home and home , figure out a catchy name and trophy and the winner gets the trophy for the year if they win.

This rivalry game is as good as any in FCS and should be treated as such. This is our Florida- FSU or USC- Clemson. (I would say Ohio St- Michigan or Alabama-Auburn but they are in the same conference)

It would draw a good crowd from both sides and be a marquee OOC win for either program. We just need some people on the inside to pitch it to the ADs.

CockyGeek
October 12th, 2016, 08:43 AM
This is dumb if it's in Montgomery. That's not exactly close to either JSU or UTC.

Daytripper
October 12th, 2016, 08:59 AM

This would be awesome!

RootinFerDukes
October 12th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Having now read through the whole thread, wow what a colossal disappointment to have the game in Montgomery, a location that is further for both fan bases.

What is the capacity of the cramton bowl? Any chance it could sell out with an even larger crowd? That would be the potential silver lining.

Every Fcs kickoff has been a sellout so far but they've also been on campus.

ChattaHatta
October 12th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Official UTC Announcement:
http://gomocs.com/news/2016/10/12/football-mocs-open-2017-season-vs-jacksonville-state-on-espn.aspx

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Great for recruiting in the state of alabama as well as the rest of our footprint. If Jacksonville State thought we were going to let them have ownership of this game they are sadly mistaken. This rivalry is and will continue to be played on Chattanooga's terms. The fact that jacksonville state agreed to get the hell beat out of them on national tv is gravy.

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Not that it makes a huge difference but that won't be the only college football game on 8/26/17. USF will play at San Jose State that day (assuming it'll be a night game) because SJSU is allowed a 13th regular season game, and thus allowed to start a week earlier, due to their game at Hawaii: http://www.thedailystampede.com/2016/9/27/13080162/usf-football-vs-san-jose-state-moved-to-aug-26th-2017-week-zero

Still this is obviously a good thing for UTC and JSU and, like last year's Cal/Hawaii game in Australia, it's not a marquee FBS matchup so it won't be a huge draw away from the FCS Kickoff game. Now if only ESPN would market the FCS Kickoff game at all xrolleyesx. Get ready for an onslaught of ESPN official twitter handles and personalities counting down until the Thursday on Week 1 for the start of the college football season completely ignoring that there's a game on their network 5 days before that.

CockyGeek
October 12th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Great for recruiting in the state of alabama as well as the rest of our footprint. If Jacksonville State thought we were going to let them have ownership of this game they are sadly mistaken. This rivalry is and will continue to be played on Chattanooga's terms. The fact that jacksonville state agreed to get the hell beat out of them on national tv is gravy.

Do you have amnesia?

Bison56
October 12th, 2016, 10:13 AM

The gift that keeps on giving.

Mayville Bison
October 12th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Seems like a win-win-win if the $$$ situation gets cleared up. Great game for the kick-off - just wish JSU could've scheduled a more competitive game xsmiley_wix

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Do you have amnesia?

Amnesia about what? Your wins over the last couple of years? The 2 ot wins and the 3 point win when you had a more talented, more veteran team? Those games give you confidence? They should scare the hell out of you. There is a complete role reversal right now and will be even greater next year.

Chattanooga is clearly better and that should have been blatantly obvious coming in but no real effort is given. Chattanooga is the most dominant team in america. You haven't played a tougher FCS schedule. That's a myth. I don't know when libert became an fcs power, but they aren't any better than mercer. Coastal is not a bit better than samford. Samford is probably a lot better than them.

You are going to lose.

Schism55
October 12th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Delusion, party of 1, your table is ready.
Why don't you remind us all what happened the last time these two teams played?

dgtw
October 12th, 2016, 10:30 AM
The Cramton Bowl is actually pretty nice. They had a big remodel a few years ago. I have not been to a game there but I have been to an event in the arena attached to it and saw the field through a window. So I have no issue with the stadium.

My big gripe is that it is not in Jacksonville. Now I have to drive 2.5 hours instead of walking. We already had a home game scheduled with them, why not just have that be the one for TV.

UTC owes us two home games. If this counts as one of them we need a new AD.

Bisonator
October 12th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Amnesia about what? Your wins over the last couple of years? The 2 ot wins and the 3 point win when you had a more talented, more veteran team? Those games give you confidence? They should scare the hell out of you. There is a complete role reversal right now and will be even greater next year.

Chattanooga is clearly better and that should have been blatantly obvious coming in but no real effort is given. Chattanooga is the most dominant team in america. You haven't played a tougher FCS schedule. That's a myth. I don't know when libert became an fcs power, but they aren't any better than mercer. Coastal is not a bit better than samford. Samford is probably a lot better than them.

You are going to lose.

Ok here is where we all start xlolx

Mocs123
October 12th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Chattanooga and Jacksonville State always seems to be one Heck of a football game. Other than the odd fan or two I think we can all agree on that.

I look forward to another good game - hopefully one that we pull out in the end this time.

In fact I am kind of hoping we meet in the playoffs this year - I wouldn't mind playing JSU in Frisco :)

JSU02
October 12th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Here is the good guys' take.
http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/news/2016/10/11/jsu-to-open-2017-college-football-season-vs-utc-on-espn.aspx

Daytripper
October 12th, 2016, 10:49 AM
From what I read, this game is scheduled for 8pm Eastern Time. If I remember correctly, most FCS kickoff games have been day games. I think this bodes well for those of us who want a double or triple header of FCS on that day. I can potentially see Richmond/SHSU in the mix. Any other good early OOC games out there that might round out a triple header?

BisonTru
October 12th, 2016, 10:58 AM
From what I read, this game is scheduled for 8pm Eastern Time. If I remember correctly, most FCS kickoff games have been day games. I think this bodes well for those of us who want a double or triple header of FCS on that day. I can potentially see Richmond/SHSU in the mix. Any other good early OOC games out there that might round out a triple header?

The kickoff game this past year was in the evening. NDSU plays Eastern Washington. Also, IIRC, UNI@Montana.

dgtw
October 12th, 2016, 11:05 AM

It has to be at night. A day game in Montgomery in late August would be miserable.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Ok here is where we all start xlolx

Chattanooga has outscored it's opponents 155-10 in the 1st half. We've given up a lot of garbage time points and yards and still lead the nation in total and scoring defense. Let us hear about those great bizzzzzzon victories when their opponents missed kicks in the fargodome.

RootinFerDukes
October 12th, 2016, 11:07 AM
So JSU's stadium is 24k but the Cramton Bowl is 21k. Wouldn't we want to showcase the largest crowd possible? Is Montgomery that big of a town that they just couldn't lay off?

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2016, 11:10 AM
So JSU's stadium is 24k but the Cramton Bowl is 21k. Wouldn't we want to showcase the largest crowd possible? Is Montgomery that big of a town that they just couldn't lay off?
Burgess-Snow in Jacksonville is 24k also.

Chattanooga has outscored it's opponents 155-10 in the 1st half. We've given up a lot of garbage time points and yards and still lead the nation in total and scoring defense. Let us hear about those great bizzzzzzon victories when their opponents missed kicks in the fargodome.
Tell us about all the prestige the Chattanooga football program gained by hosting the NC game all those years.

dgtw
October 12th, 2016, 11:13 AM

I will be driving down that morning and home after the game. I have zero desire to sightsee or eat somewhere. If I get a hotel because of the late kickoff it will not be in Montgomery. There are plenty of cheap places on 65 I can stay at.

Daytripper
October 12th, 2016, 11:15 AM
It has to be at night. A day game in Montgomery in late August would be miserable.

Good point. Same with a day game in Huntsville, Texas.

Bison56
October 12th, 2016, 11:38 AM

xlolx look at who they have played, lets see how they do when the competition gets better.

Bisonator
October 12th, 2016, 12:02 PM
NDSU SOS = 1

Chatty SOS = 76

https://drcolleenrobb.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/mic-drop-2boom.jpg

chattanoogamocs
October 12th, 2016, 12:10 PM
JSU fans = "we'll I'm going, but that doesn't mean I have to have any fun" Harrumph! :)

I have never had any interest in going to Montgomery (except to drive through to get the Gulf coast) and I doubt I ever will again. But the game is going to be there, it is huge exposure for both schools, it will have a bowl like atmosphere. I and my tailgate friends are really excited about it and are making a weekend of it. We already sold out a block of 25 rooms at the Embassy Suites downtown. Already reserved a big section down the street at Dreamland for lunch.

Fun is what you make of it. You could play this game in a cow pasture in Hale County, Alabama and my group would still be there and ready to party and have a good time. I know a number of ASU fans that went down for the Camellia Bowl and they had a blast.

JSU02
October 12th, 2016, 12:33 PM
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/rankinfile/2016/10/12/espn-announces-monrtgomery-kickoff-classic-2017/91939454/

Apparently JSU will be hosting the 2018 kickoff game in Montgomery as well, against an opponent TBA.

chattanoogamocs
October 12th, 2016, 12:44 PM
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/rankinfile/2016/10/12/espn-announces-monrtgomery-kickoff-classic-2017/91939454/

Apparently JSU will be hosting the 2018 kickoff game in Montgomery as well, against an opponent TBA.

That makes sense, JSU is easily the best FCS, nationally ranked, team that is closest to Montgomery (no offense to Alabama St intended) and has a strong fan base to buy tickets.

Hopefully everything will go well and UTC will play them again down there...and then can go to Jacksonville in '19 and '20.

centennial
October 12th, 2016, 12:53 PM

The tallest midget. We have among the strongest, if not the strongest SOS in the FCS. While you play at best average teams. NDSU has beat 2 teams with P5 wins, one P5 team, and another 3-1 MVFC team.

Mocs123
October 12th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I would love to play JSU in 18 but I don't think we have an opening. We play Kentucky, TTU, and @ Martin from what I understand.

dewey
October 12th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Congratulations to Jacksonville State and Chattanooga on the ESPN FCS Kickoff game.

Dewey

CockyGeek
October 12th, 2016, 02:29 PM

You are going to lose.
You have more confidence than Donald Trump. One win in the past ten years against us. Can't win the big games.

Schism55
October 12th, 2016, 02:39 PM
You have more confidence than Donald Trump. One win in the past ten years against us. Can't win the big games.
Haha, so true xdrunkyx

CockyGeek
October 12th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Haha, so true xdrunkyx

That game doesn't count 😏

ChattaHatta
October 12th, 2016, 03:12 PM
JSU fans = "we'll I'm going, but that doesn't mean I have to have any fun" Harrumph! :)

I have never had any interest in going to Montgomery (except to drive through to get the Gulf coast) and I doubt I ever will again. But the game is going to be there, it is huge exposure for both schools, it will have a bowl like atmosphere. I and my tailgate friends are really excited about it and are making a weekend of it. We already sold out a block of 25 rooms at the Embassy Suites downtown. Already reserved a big section down the street at Dreamland for lunch.

Fun is what you make of it. You could play this game in a cow pasture in Hale County, Alabama and my group would still be there and ready to party and have a good time. I know a number of ASU fans that went down for the Camellia Bowl and they had a blast.

This is what keeps getting me: UTC fans are thrilled and can't wait to play the game in front of a national audience. I'm confused as to why JSU fans aren't as excited. This will most likely be a top-ten match up between two teams who don't like each other during prime time on a network watched across the country. It was either that, or be relegated to the OVC Digital Network where there are still fans that don't realize that network exists.

This game will be a lot of fun for both fan bases, not sure why there is such resentment from some.

CockyGeek
October 12th, 2016, 03:48 PM
1. It's a weird location... It's Montgomery.
2. We had a home game, now it's a neutral site
3. I think both of our stadiums are nicer than this.

Schism55
October 12th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Very good points.
What are the chances that the $ numbers come out regarding what ESPN paid JSU for this?

ASU33
October 12th, 2016, 04:19 PM
I'll make the drive down to Montgomery for this.

JSUSoutherner
October 12th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Very good points.
What are the chances that the $ numbers come out regarding what ESPN paid JSU for this?
No idea but I'm eager to see them.

Mocs123
October 12th, 2016, 04:38 PM

True it is a wierd location but ESPN wanted to get this started and I imagine Montgomery kicked in some as well. It's a 4 hour drive for me but I plan on being there.

I understand that you are losing a home game in 2017 - but you still get the 2 return games from Chattanooga (as discussed this does not count as the 2017 game we owe you in Jacksonville)

Burgess Snow is a really nice stadium - especially the new home side, Finley is really nice as well but does need a new scoreboard. I can't comment on the Crampton bowl, but from what I can see online - you are probably right.

Hopefully both schools will travel well and we sell it out.

dgtw
October 12th, 2016, 04:45 PM
I have no issues with the stadium. It is a nice place. I just don't want to go to Montgomery. If you want to get an overpriced hotel room there knock yourself out. I'll either get a big cup of coffee and drive home that night or get a cheap place in Prattville just so Montgomery doesn't get my money.

And now we have to go back in 2018. Dear God this sucks. I hope they go broke and cancel it after next year.

Milktruck74
October 12th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Very good points.

Real good. JSU is a public university, that info is public.

chattanoogamocs
October 12th, 2016, 05:09 PM
I keep forgetting how cheap the living must be in Northeast Alabama.

I guess us big city folk don't think $113 at the Embassy Suites is a big deal.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

Real good. JSU is a public university, that info is public.

FOIA is your friend.

Milktruck74
October 12th, 2016, 05:20 PM
I keep forgetting how cheap the living must be in Northeast Alabama.

I guess us big city folk don't think $113 at the Embassy Suites is a big deal.

:)

$113 is a whole bunch of chickens and Copenhagen.

Cocky
October 12th, 2016, 05:30 PM
$113 is a whole bunch of chickens and Copenhagen.

Paying $13 to stay in Montgomery is too much. For those going be careful.

ASU33
October 12th, 2016, 05:43 PM

I could careless if it for money, ESPN or anything else. You should have your games at home.

Montgomery isn't that bad. Just like any other city it has its areas which are areas tourist don't venture to anyway.

dgtw
October 12th, 2016, 07:03 PM
Montgomery isn't that bad. Just like any other city it has its areas which are areas tourist don't venture to anyway.

The area around the Cramton Bowl is one such area.

dgtw
October 12th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Must be sad life if going to Montgomery is exciting to you.

ASU33
October 12th, 2016, 07:23 PM
The area around the Cramton Bowl is one such area.

It is not. We played at The Cramton Bowl until 2012 and has no issues. Most of the troubled areas of the city are on the south and southwestern areas of the city.

JaxSinfonian
October 12th, 2016, 09:57 PM
The more I learn about this, the better I feel about it. I'm certainly not so ticked that I'll refuse to spend a dime in Montgomery; quite the contrary.

Big upside: A couple members of our tailgate crew who'd moved away to South Georgia for a few years just moved to Montgomery this summer. They were already excited at being able to attend more games without the long drive. I think they are in heaven today.

dudeitsaid
October 12th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Congratulations to Jacksonville State and Chattanooga on the ESPN FCS Kickoff game.

Dewey

Agree, that is a game I would definitely tune in to watch for a first game of the season. Congrats to both teams on landing that.

Was hoping it would be EWU and NDSU...but I guess having those two teams play in both the last game of the 2016 season and the first game of the 2017 season would be a bit redundant. :D

Thumper 76
October 13th, 2016, 02:01 AM
This is what keeps getting me: UTC fans are thrilled and can't wait to play the game in front of a national audience. I'm confused as to why JSU fans aren't as excited. This will most likely be a top-ten match up between two teams who don't like each other during prime time on a network watched across the country. It was either that, or be relegated to the OVC Digital Network where there are still fans that don't realize that network exists.

This game will be a lot of fun for both fan bases, not sure why there is such resentment from some.

Not gunna lie, if SDSU was losing a home game for one season to this and it was against a team that owed us two home games I'd be pretty pissed about that part. That's just me though. I mean I'd be happy about it overall, but that would REALLY rub me the wrong way. Especially if I was a season ticket holder.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Not gunna lie, if SDSU was losing a home game for one season to this and it was against a team that owed us two home games I'd be pretty pissed about that part. That's just me though. I mean I'd be happy about it overall, but that would REALLY rub me the wrong way. Especially if I was a season ticket holder.

I get what you are saying, however...

1) they might be losing the home game this year, but according to the Anniston newspaper, UTC is still on the hook for two more games at Jacksonville.

2) schedules get changed all the time. The last two years the Mocs were supposed to play all DI schedules, only to have teams back out late and UTC ended up with a Non DI. As a fan, I don't want to see Non DI's on the schedule, but as someone who works in athletics, I realize that sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. The two teams that backed out got great opportunities to play FBS payday games.

3) season tickets haven't been sold yet for next year, so it is not like it is a bait and switch. Anyone who puts up their schedule this early usually point out that "schedule is subject to change"

For whatever reason, many JSU fans have this conspiracy theory that Chattanooga is going to back out of the contract because they are scared of playing in Jacksonville. That's equal parts silly and absurd and they have no basis in reality to assume so. I can't recall Chattanooga ever backing out of a contract (though that have had plenty back out on them...Georgia St, Presbyterian, and Austin Peay just in the last 5 years).

JSU02
October 13th, 2016, 11:42 AM
For whatever reason, many JSU fans have this conspiracy theory that Chattanooga is going to back out of the contract because they are scared of playing in Jacksonville. That's equal parts silly and absurd and they have no basis in reality to assume so. I can't recall Chattanooga ever backing out of a contract (though that have had plenty back out on them...Georgia St, Presbyterian, and Austin Peay just in the last 5 years).

Maybe because it has happened before.

Mocs123
October 13th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Maybe because it has happened before.

Chattanooga has backed out on JSU? Please enlighten me.

ST_Lawson
October 13th, 2016, 03:03 PM

Earlier in the season I had heard rumors of Western Illinois at Northern Arizona being a possibility if both teams did well this season, but with the injury to Cookus, it doesn't look like that's happening.

dgtw
October 13th, 2016, 03:04 PM
It is not. We played at The Cramton Bowl until 2012 and has no issues. Most of the troubled areas of the city are on the south and southwestern areas of the city.

I was at the Cramton Bowl for a wrestling tournament a couple years ago and a friend had their car broken into at the arena.

That being said, the area there really isn't that bad. My big gripe is having to drive to Montgomery for the game. I wouldn't want to have to go to Atlanta for this, either.

I saw the field when I was there for wrestling and it does look very nice. Good job by the city to get it improved and getting a bowl game.

ASU33
October 13th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I was at the Cramton Bowl for a wrestling tournament a couple years ago and a friend had their car broken into at the arena.

That being said, the area there really isn't that bad. My big gripe is having to drive to Montgomery for the game. I wouldn't want to have to go to Atlanta for this, either.

I saw the field when I was there for wrestling and it does look very nice. Good job by the city to get it improved and getting a bowl game.

I think the game would've gotten a better atmosphere in Jacksonville. More student involvement, and an opportunity for JSU to showcase their campus which is one of the most beautiful campuses that you'll see.

Scrappy94
October 15th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Maybe you're just not used to having that many people around you at a football game?

There was quite a bit of unprofessional behavior from my experience. For example, a lot of individuals are unaware of this particular instance.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23718&stc=1

JSUSoutherner
October 15th, 2016, 05:27 PM
There was quite a bit of unprofessional behavior from my experience. For example, a lot of individuals are unaware of this particular instance.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23718&stc=1
Maybe if they weren't such a joke people would take them seriously. xcoffeex

Scrappy94
October 15th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Maybe if they weren't such a joke people would take them seriously. xcoffeex

As I always say, quality over quantity. The Marching Mocs are a great band. With you guys having such a large band, it is easy for mistakes to be covered up. With so few members, mistakes are more easily heard, but they pour their heart into what they do, and they don't need smack talk from someone who can hide their mistakes behind such a large number of musicians. They support their team, win or lose. Opinions aside, what your men's basketball program posted was beyond rude and unprofessional, yet you guys wonder why Chattanooga hates the lamecocks outside the outcome of games. Absolute classlessness. The musicianship of the Marching Mocs is fantastic, and they don't need large numbers to show it. If your school was surrounded with 4 other universities with music programs within 30 minutes driving range, recruiting would be difficult for you too.

JaxSinfonian
October 15th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Specifically not responding to anything Scrappy had to say.

The tweet was offsides. Disappointing.

dgtw
October 15th, 2016, 07:21 PM
We fired the basketball coach after the season.

Scrappy94
October 15th, 2016, 07:34 PM
We fired the basketball coach after the season.

From my understanding, most accounts for different teams within an athletics department are usually run and managed by the marketing department. I could be wrong though. Might be a different situation at JSU. I don't know that program well enough.

dgtw
October 15th, 2016, 08:20 PM
From my understanding, most accounts for different teams within an athletics department are usually run and managed by the marketing department. I could be wrong though. Might be a different situation at JSU. I don't know that program well enough.

I doubt it was the coach who tweeted that.

CockyGeek
October 15th, 2016, 08:41 PM
The UTC band gets absolutely no support from the school and it's obviously the director doesn't care anything about marching band. There are plenty of smaller schools who sound good with that many members. We shouldn't be making fun of the students. That tweet was stupid. I'm sure the guy is either a moron or forgot to sign into his own Twitter or both.

Mocs123
December 3rd, 2016, 06:33 PM
Well I guess after today Moc fans and Gamecock fans can start talking about this game again. xbawlingx

I am looking forward to the game and am planning on being there in Montgomery.

We have to replace our best RB in Craine, two wideouts, and two on the oline. On the defensive side of the ball, we lose a safety, linebacker, our two defensive ends, and on defensive tackle. On special teams we will have a new kicker.

Our biggest challenges will be replacing the Defensive ends and running back.