PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 6 2016

superman7515
October 8th, 2016, 11:28 PM
Another week in the books, still getting a few last minute links added as people get recaps finished, but all the scores are in place...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15c8DbEW1lVnm6Bj_wU2orSqniTE0PgLCxxFES9_u5Qk/edit?usp=sharing

Perfection: We are down to five undefeated teams: Chattanooga, The Citadel, Harvard, North Dakota State, and Sam Houston State. Running the table in reverse is Abilene Christian, Austin Peay, Bethune-Cookman (who have really fallen off since Brian Jenkins left for Alabama State), Delaware State, Furman, and Mississippi Valley State.

Chattanooga and The Citadel play each other next weekend, Bethune-Cookman and Delaware State play just before Halloween, so at least two teams will fall off the list.

How Close Is Close: A few teams lost this week, to teams they were supposed to lose to, in close games. So how do you rank them? For example: #9 Richmond beat #14 Albany, at Albany, by 6 points in triple overtime... Does Albany drop, or does that mean we had Albany in the right spot, and they stay where they are?

Not just #9 Richmond/#14 Albany have me wondering; #16 Western Illinois over #31 Indiana State 36-35 and #22 Eastern Illinois over #28 Tennessee State 35-34 fit the bill this week as well.

The Coaches Poll xconfusedx: South Dakota State should probably be getting the 14 points from South Carolina State, which would move them up to #14 from #15. They might even get the 13 points from the South Dakota Coyotes, which would still have them at #14, but just 2 points behind Youngstown State. That being said, I put in the results that they published, even if it does continue to look like they aren't paying attention to what their voters are sending in.

Biggest Disappointment? Who would you say is the biggest disappointment through the first half of the season? I'm leaning towards Colgate, who goes from preseason Patriot champs to mid-season Patriot chumps, with a 1-4 record and no chance of seven D1 wins thanks to a 10-game schedule.

ngineer
October 8th, 2016, 11:56 PM
While Colgate has not achieved preseason prognostication levels, two of their losses are to FBS Syracuse and a very good Richmond team. The loss to Cornell is currently, 'surprising', but we may find out that Cornell is not the bottom feeder they have been the past few years, having lost their first game this week at Harvard, but not a blow out. 'gate's loss to Lehigh was projected by more than a few after seeing how Lehigh's offense has sprung to life the last four weeks. Stubbing their toe in the season opener by a two point loss to a 4-2 Monmouth team. As the saying goes, if you are going to lose, lose early in the season. The sign of a good team is whether it improves from week to week. Another team that, to me has been a disappointment from preseason selections is William & Mary. Some polls had them into the top 15.

Twentysix
October 9th, 2016, 12:00 AM
Thanks again

Twentysix
October 9th, 2016, 12:02 AM
While Colgate has not achieved preseason prognostication levels, two of their losses are to FBS Syracuse and a very good Richmond team. The loss to Cornell is currently, 'surprising', but we may find out that Cornell is not the bottom feeder they have been the past few years, having lost their first game this week at Harvard, but not a blow out. 'gate's loss to Lehigh was projected by more than a few after seeing how Lehigh's offense has sprung to life the last four weeks. Stubbing their toe in the season opener by a two point loss to a 4-2 Monmouth team. As the saying goes, if you are going to lose, lose early in the season. The sign of a good team is whether it improves from week to week. Another team that, to me has been a disappointment from preseason selections is William & Mary. Some polls had them into the top 15.

You should PM Pantherrob. Together you two could start a PAC that runs advertisements on behalf of Colgate's potential strength, in favor of getting X team into the top 25. Your slogan could be, "They are a really good 1-4."

clickclack
October 9th, 2016, 12:05 AM
You should PM Pantherrob. Together you two could start a PAC that runs advertisements on behalf of Colgate's potential strength, in favor of getting X team into the top 25. Your slogan could be, "They are a really good 1-4."

Shots fired...shots fired!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLdnBQM2BgJ7yQFHqsZttJOY10RGLaB YCGgYHX4oITeU0G5nXk

ngineer
October 9th, 2016, 12:08 AM

Well, tis true that they could have scheduled some D-II school or PFL team. I agree that "you are as good as what your record is", but we all know that there are fine lines between winning and losing some games each year. 'gate has the misfortune of only having ten games, which gives them no room for error or the stub of the toe, which virtually every team in the country commits each season.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 9th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Would not be kosher to give Sammy State "biggest loss of the week" for giving up 48 points to Incarnate Word, despite the fact that they won the game? Geez.

BEAR
October 9th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Only two SLC teams deserve to be ranked- UCA and SHSU.

Milktruck74
October 9th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Thanks for all your hard work Supe!!!! My Sunday routine....1. Brew coffee 2. Print spreadsheet 3. Drink coffee 4. Retreat to the throne room with my highlighter, pen, iPad and spreadsheet..... 5. Do some serious WORK!!!!! I'm a multitasker!!!! 6. Drop a Marshall and wipe my App Hole. 7. Input my poll.

clawman
October 9th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Why is it that SHSU and Jack St are ranked so high?

RootinFerDukes
October 9th, 2016, 08:12 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because they're not losing?

Katfan
October 9th, 2016, 08:24 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because they're not losing?
Probably has something to do with it.

kalm
October 9th, 2016, 08:27 AM

JSU played a solid OOC schedule and returns one of the best QB - WR tandems in FCS. SHSU has a **** schedule but also returns a ton on offense and a terrific DL in PJ Hall.

Milktruck74
October 9th, 2016, 08:30 AM

Because they are both top 5 teams....they both had solid finishes last year, and continue to win....they will be there until somebody knocks them out of that seat....and looking at the schedule....UCA, maybe can give SHS a game, but it's doubtful either gets beat the rest of the year, so get use to seeing them here.

Nickels
October 9th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Because we win a lot of games and pound BSC teams in the playoffs.

clawman
October 9th, 2016, 10:26 AM
JSU played a solid OOC schedule and returns one of the best QB - WR tandems in FCS. SHSU has a **** schedule but also returns a ton on offense and a terrific DL in PJ Hall.

What is so solid about Jack St playing DII N Alabama, LSU, and transitional Coastal Carolina??
Or SHSU playing Panhandle State?

Professor Chaos
October 9th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Did anyone else have a real hard time finding a most significant win this week?

TheKingpin28
October 9th, 2016, 10:35 AM
For the first time this season, my poll wont need a complete make over. Obviously there will be minimal a shuffle from 1-16/17 but there will be a struggle again with 17/18-25 but I have an idea with how this will shake up.

Daytripper
October 9th, 2016, 11:06 AM
What is so solid about Jack St playing DII N Alabama, LSU, and transitional Coastal Carolina??

Dude. You play who is on your schedule. Read all the other comments. Actually, go read about a dozen threads from the last two weeks and you will see your very question argued over ad nauseam.

superman7515
October 9th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Sagarin, Massey, and SOS have been updated.

Per our friend ElCid, who has been tracking the Sagarin vs Massey war all season:
Massey - 331-77 for 81.1% picking winners
Sagarin - 223-60 for 78.8% picking winners

The discrepancy in the total numbers is due to Sagarin did not predict Week 1 games or Div II games.

Katfan
October 9th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Nothing I don't think anyone would argue that it is.

polsongrizz
October 9th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Would not be kosher to give Sammy State "biggest loss of the week" for giving up 48 points to Incarnate Word, despite the fact that they won the game? Geez.

I was wondering if I should do that, but I was sure it would result in another email from Troy...;)

polsongrizz
October 9th, 2016, 11:22 AM

It took me about as long to figure that out as it did to rank the bottom ten...

kalm
October 9th, 2016, 11:32 AM

N. Alabama is a good DII program...similar to CWU. They also played Liberty. The Chants and LSU are obviously tough opponents. Not saying it's the most difficult, but it's solid.

toobahcowboy
October 9th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Another week in the books, still getting a few last minute links added as people get recaps finished, but all the scores are in place...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15c8DbEW1lVnm6Bj_wU2orSqniTE0PgLCxxFES9_u5Qk/edit?usp=sharing

Perfection: We are down to five undefeated teams: Chattanooga, The Citadel, Harvard, North Dakota State, and Sam Houston State. Running the table in reverse is Abilene Christian, Austin Peay, Bethune-Cookman (who have really fallen off since Brian Jenkins left for Alabama State), Delaware State, Furman, and Mississippi Valley State.

Chattanooga and The Citadel play each other next weekend, Bethune-Cookman and Delaware State play just before Halloween, so at least two teams will fall off the list.

How Close Is Close: A few teams lost this week, to teams they were supposed to lose to, in close games. So how do you rank them? For example: #9 Richmond beat #14 Albany, at Albany, by 6 points in triple overtime... Does Albany drop, or does that mean we had Albany in the right spot, and they stay where they are?

Not just #9 Richmond/#14 Albany have me wondering; #16 Western Illinois over #31 Indiana State 36-35 and #22 Eastern Illinois over #28 Tennessee State 35-34 fit the bill this week as well.

The Coaches Poll xconfusedx: South Dakota State should probably be getting the 14 points from South Carolina State, which would move them up to #14 from #15. They might even get the 13 points from the South Dakota Coyotes, which would still have them at #14, but just 2 points behind Youngstown State. That being said, I put in the results that they published, even if it does continue to look like they aren't paying attention to what their voters are sending in.

Biggest Disappointment? Who would you say is the biggest disappointment through the first half of the season? I'm leaning towards Colgate, who goes from preseason Patriot champs to mid-season Patriot chumps, with a 1-4 record and no chance of seven D1 wins thanks to a 10-game schedule.

As a McNeese fan I'm pretty disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjtheflamesfan
October 9th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Two years removed from playing for a national championship, ISUr is on the D1 bubble after a loss yesterday

ElCid
October 9th, 2016, 01:17 PM

In a word...YES! Got any suggestions. I am at a loss for win.

ElCid
October 9th, 2016, 01:18 PM
N. Alabama is a good DII program...similar to CWU. They also played Liberty. The Chants and LSU are obviously tough opponents. Not saying it's the most difficult, but it's solid.

The question was so silly I surprised you answered it.

PantherRob82
October 9th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Still sour about that? xrolleyesx

Houndawg
October 9th, 2016, 01:55 PM

I think we all expected UNI would have a much better record at this point but its hard, for me anyway, to call them a disappointment since they aren't doing anything out of the ordinary for them.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 9th, 2016, 01:57 PM
So now my team (Stony Brook, 3-2) has lost to a team (Sacred Heart, 4-1) that lost to a team (Wagner, 3-2) that lost to Columbia (1-3). How demoralizing.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 9th, 2016, 01:59 PM
So now my team (Stony Brook, 3-2) has lost to a team (Sacred Heart, 4-1) that lost to a team (Wagner, 3-2) that lost to Columbia (1-3). How demoralizing.

And for your Richmond fans, your team Richmond lost to a team (Stony Brook) that lost to a team (Sacred Heart) that lost to a team (Wagner) that lost to Columbia.

- - - Updated - - -

And for your Richmond fans, your team Richmond lost to a team (Stony Brook) that lost to a team (Sacred Heart) that lost to a team (Wagner) that lost to Columbia.

And for you Albany fans, you lost to a team (Richmond) that lost to a team (Stony Brook) that lost to a team (Sacred Heart) that lost to a team (Wagner) that lost to Columbia.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 9th, 2016, 02:01 PM
And for your FBS Buffalo Bulls fans, you lost to a team (Albany) that lost to a team (Richmond) that lost to a team (Stony Brook) that lost to a team (Sacred Heart) that lost to a team (Wagner) that lost to Columbia.

grizband
October 9th, 2016, 02:04 PM
And for your FBS Buffalo Bulls fans, you lost to a team (Albany) that lost to a team (Richmond) that lost to a team (Stony Brook) that lost to a team (Sacred Heart) that lost to a team (Wagner) that lost to Columbia.
Ahhh, the transitive property of sports!

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 9th, 2016, 02:06 PM
We could take this another way, Notre Dame lost to Duke, who lost to Virginia, who lost to Richmond, who lost to Stony Brook, who lost to Sacred Heart, who lost to Wagner, who lost to Columbia. Therefore Columbia is better than Notre Dame.

Thumper 76
October 9th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Probably because there weren't any big matchups this week really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
October 9th, 2016, 02:47 PM
I think the Richmond win over Albany was important. Western Illinois over Indiana State. That was almost a playoff knockout game.

For losses you gotta look at UNI, Colgate, Indiana State, Tennessee State.

Professor Chaos
October 9th, 2016, 03:14 PM
In a word...YES! Got any suggestions. I am at a loss for win.
Idk, I looked at a few different ones:

Chattanooga - Avenged last year's only SOCON loss with a vengeance
South Dakota - Huge win for them obviously but I think UNI's loss is much more significant and I hate voting for the same game as significant win/loss
Nicholls St - Finally wins a close game... proves they should at least be at least in the discussion for inclusion in the top 25.
Richmond - First quality FCS win and on the road
Eastern Illinois - Avoided losing a second OVC game which would've almost certainly put them out of playoff contention (since they still play JSU) and instead put them in solid position as the #2 team in the OVC

I went with Chatty but it was mostly just the best of a bunch of bad options for me.

superman7515
October 9th, 2016, 03:24 PM
South Dakota - Huge win for them obviously but I think UNI's loss is much more significant and I hate voting for the same game as significant win/loss

Thank you

ngineer
October 9th, 2016, 03:49 PM

- - - Updated - - -

And for you Albany fans, you lost to a team (Richmond) that lost to a team (Stony Brook) that lost to a team (Sacred Heart) that lost to a team (Wagner) that lost to Columbia.

That's why it's called "any given Saturday".

ngineer
October 9th, 2016, 03:54 PM
For the sake of receiving the usual vitriol of the Lehigh haters, I would submit that the Mountain Hawks win over Colgate was quite significant, not only with winning the the way they won. A great majority of those picking the game were picking Colgate by over a 2-1 margin. Lehigh averaging about 50 points/game since their "Air Lehigh" has been relaunched. The win put them in the inner lane and sets the table for the rest of the season. Everyone of the prognisticators were picking Colgate as the #1 team in the Patriot. This win has reshuffled the deck.

kdinva
October 9th, 2016, 05:05 PM
We could take this another way, Notre Dame lost to Duke, who lost to Virginia, who lost to Richmond, who lost to Stony Brook, who lost to Sacred Heart, who lost to Wagner, who lost to Columbia. Therefore Columbia is better than Notre Dame.

xnodx

Schism55
October 9th, 2016, 05:16 PM
For the sake of receiving the usual vitriol of the Lehigh haters, I would submit that the Mountain Hawks win over Colgate was quite significant, not only with winning the the way they won. A great majority of those picking the game were picking Colgate by over a 2-1 margin. Lehigh averaging about 50 points/game since their "Air Lehigh" has been relaunched. The win put them in the inner lane and sets the table for the rest of the season. Everyone of the prognisticators were picking Colgate as the #1 team in the Patriot. This win has reshuffled the deck.
Very nice win Lehigh. Was expecting Colgate to win but the engineers played a better game. Well done!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2016, 05:20 PM

I think Lehigh has done enough to get ranked imo. They don't have a bad loss and they've shown dominance in every game during their winning streak. I think there's a great chance it's battle of ranked teams in 3 weeks when Fordham visits Lehigh.

A good Lehigh team in great for AGS! :p No PL team stirs the masses quite like the Mountain Hawks....

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Hey, just over 20 minutes left so if you have not gotten your vote in yet you better get on it!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2016, 10:56 AM
You should all be checking your emails right now as well...or in the last hour anyway.

clawman
October 17th, 2016, 06:53 PM

Renewing the same question I posed in earlier thread. Why are these two #1 and #2 now?

Nickels
October 17th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Renewing the same question I posed in earlier thread. Why are these two #1 and #2 now?

Because, even with a weak schedule, we have proven time and time again we're better than any BSC champ and on top of that we're significantly better than the teams that beat those teams. When will yall learn?

clawman
October 17th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Because, even with a weak schedule, we have proven time and time again we're better than any BSC champ and on top of that we're significantly better than the teams that beat those teams. When will yall learn?
Whether that is true or not I'll not debate. I thought the polls were of the current year, not lifetime!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2016, 09:20 PM

They are not in the AGS Poll so I'm not sure why you would be asking those not responsible for that here.

Nickels
October 17th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Whether that is true or not I'll not debate. I thought the polls were of the current year, not lifetime!
You might want to follow a little more closely. It's clear the committee rewards based on past playoff success or we wouldn't have made the playoffs the last 4 years.

ST_Lawson
October 17th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Oh good, does that mean we can get some "extra credit" for doing fairly well in the '90s and early '00s?

superman7515
October 18th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Oh good, does that mean we can get some "extra credit" for doing fairly well in the '90s and early '00s?

I would argue that several teams get extra credit for doing well in years past. Even this season, Delaware was getting votes at points in the polls, despite no evidence under the (now previous) regime of an ability to have any sort of sustained success.

I'll need to update this soon, but as an example, once again see what has happened with Northern Iowa, Delaware, and McNeese:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?176057-Most-Overrated-Underrated-Teams-Of-The-AGS-Era