PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 7

carney2
October 8th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Week 7

America and the folks on this board seem to be losing interest in Patriot League football 2016, but we plod on.

COLGATE @ BUCKNELL
Yale @ FORDHAM
LEHIGH @ GEORGETOWN
Harvard @ HOLY CROSS
LAFAYETTE @ Army

Game of the Week: There is nothing on this list that will cause me to abort my tour of Great Smoky Mountain National Park, so I threw a dart at the board and came up with Colgate @ Bucknell AND Lehigh @ Georgetown because (a) both are League games; (b) neither is expected to be very competitive; and (c) both should give us an idea of whether the over-matched home teams have anything at all as we head into the stretch drive.

RichH2
October 8th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Gerz carney you really want to get thru the season fast :)

Franks Tanks
October 8th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Colgate and Bucknell should be pretty competitive. Colgate not as good as we thought, and Bucknell always plays them tough. I can't watch Army massacre Lafayette.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Colgate and Bucknell should be pretty competitive. Colgate not as good as we thought, and Bucknell always plays them tough. I can't watch Army massacre Lafayette.

Colgate at Bucknell is a really interesting game. I have no idea how Bucknell beat Holy Cross today but they did. Colgate's defense is below average but they definitely have some talent. It's a season salvager for both teams....

I have to poke fun at Colgate's schedule again. It's going to be October 15th and you've played one home game!! xlolx

van
October 8th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Week 7
Game of the Week: There is nothing on this list that will cause me to abort my tour of Great Smoky Mountain National Park, so I threw a dart at the board and came up with Colgate @ Bucknell AND Lehigh @ Georgetown because (a) both are League games; (b) neither is expected to be very competitive; and (c) both should give us an idea of whether the over-matched home teams have anything at all as we head into the stretch drive.

suspect Gate/Buffs might be a pretty close game, Buffs QB is getting more comfortable and their D is pretty stout, Yale/Fordham might be pretty interesting also, Eli dropped the old indians today

bonarae
October 8th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Colgate
Fordham
Lehigh
Harvard
Army

ColgateTD
October 8th, 2016, 07:41 PM
I have to poke fun at Colgate's schedule again. It's going to be October 15th and you've played one home game!! xlolx

Read it and weep. Alums have been howling about this type of scheduling for years. All the color from the leaves will be drained from the upstate NY area by the time we get to Game #2.

As for today's disaster at Goodman, me thinks the ghost of the Cornellians had a lingering affect from last week's punch in the gut :(

ngineer
October 8th, 2016, 08:04 PM
I agree that the Cornell stunner could have had an effect; but it sure didn't effect the Raiders in the first quarter, and by then any cobwebbs from the Big Red would have dissipated. Melville is a heck of an athlete but he doesn't have enough supporting cast. Raiders have big play potential which they showed, but not being able to do long sustained drives and keep the ball away from Lehigh was a big factor. 'gate dominated possession in first quarter, but from about half way through second quarter, it was a different ballgame.

bison137
October 8th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Colgate at Bucknell is a really interesting game. I have no idea how Bucknell beat Holy Cross today but they did.

Starting early in the second quarter, Bucknell gave up only three first downs the rest of the game and almost no yardage. Yardage was 400-95 from that point on. Even missing five starters, the Bison may have the strongest defense in the league. However, four of the missing five are DB's, which leaves that area vulnerable to a good QB. BU is also missing their All-PL punter, and his replacement, which was a big issue today. Punts were all short line drives that led to long returns and good HC field position for most of the game.

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2016, 09:07 PM

http://i65.tinypic.com/2aeouhv.png

Ivytalk
October 8th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Bucky
Fordham
Lehigh
Harvard
Army

Sader87
October 8th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Holy Cross absolutely sucks....does that count for a pick?

TheValleyRaider
October 9th, 2016, 09:43 AM
As for today's disaster at Goodman, me thinks the ghost of the Cornellians had a lingering affect from last week's punch in the gut :(

I wouldn't give Cornell that much credit. We blew a big one against Yale at Homecoming last year, and then lost one game between then and December.

We had a few chances to stretch the lead or get back in this one, but gave up a few big plays at the wrong moments. Biggest concern was coming up short on the goalline late in the 1st half. We're just not as consistent as we need to be on offense.

ColgateTD
October 9th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Biggest concern was coming up short on the goalline late in the 1st half. We're just not as consistent as we need to be on offense.

I agree. That was a big turning point.

Colgate - maybe the last chance to get a tie for the PL title
Yale - by 23
Lehigh - by 35
Harvard - by 21
Army - by 49

24-10

Gangtackle11
October 9th, 2016, 04:52 PM
COLGATE @ BUCKNELL - Red Raiders find a way 24-16

Yale @ FORDHAM - Rams beat Bulldogs 40-29

LEHIGH @ GEORGETOWN - Mountain Hawks take Hoyas 34-23

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS - Crimson roll past Crusaders 35-21

LAFAYETTE @ Army - and the Caisons go marching.....Army 40-9

Last week: 2-2 Season: 22-12

Pard4Life
October 9th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Gerz carney you really want to get thru the season fast :)

As I said in August:
"Son, wake up! It's Lafayette football season!"
"Aww do we have to?"

Pard4Life
October 9th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Holy Cross absolutely sucks....does that count for a pick?

I disagree. We suck more.

Ramblin' Man
October 9th, 2016, 06:15 PM
I agree. That was a big turning point.

Colgate - maybe the last chance to get a tie for the PL title
Yale - by 23
Lehigh - by 35
Harvard - by 21
Army - by 49

24-10

If you are serious about picking Yale by 23 over Fordham, please message me at once. I'll cover any amount you want to bet, up to and including the value of my mortgage. xasswhipx

ngineer
October 9th, 2016, 06:16 PM
I think the Raiders will bounce back, though on the road in Bucky Land. The Bison impressed me with their come from behind win on the road, but I saw Colgate's weapons, which I think will be too much. Colgate 31-17

Rams will be licking their lamb chops. Yale will get worn down. Yale QB inexperienced. Edmonds runs wild again. FU 45-17

Crusaders are reeling and the Crimson are rolling. If Crusaders have lost their way after blowing game with Bison, this could get ugly. Crimson 35-17.

Laugheyette does battle with the Black Knights of the Hudson. This will be uglier. Army 49-14

Lehigh at Georgetown could be trap game for the Mtn. Hawks, but I don't see Coen and Company losing their focus. After their scintillating win this week, what has been talked about since August is now reality. They hold their destiny and the only team that can beat them in the PL is themselves. Other teams have highlight reel players, but Lehigh's team seems broader and deeper. Hoyas play a tough defense and may throw all sorts of blitzes to try and force turnovers. Playing with "reckless abandon" is the only way G'town can have a shot, so why not shoot the works and see what works. Could and likely result in some long scores. Lehigh 52-20.

Pard4Life
October 9th, 2016, 10:14 PM
You guys have to up your game on the Lafayette Army scores.

Something like 59-10 would be appropriate

Go...gate
October 9th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Colgate at Bucknell is a really interesting game. I have no idea how Bucknell beat Holy Cross today but they did. Colgate's defense is below average but they definitely have some talent. It's a season salvager for both teams....

Again, this was not at all unusual at Colgate for many years and may be headed back in that direction. Fine by me.

jimbo65
October 10th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Colgate

Fordham

Lehigh

Harvard

Army

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2016, 08:09 AM
I'd like to know what happened to Army. When they beat UTEP 66-14 on the road I honestly thought they might have a team that has a shot at the CoC trophy. Now they've lost back-to-back games to (ecch) Buffalo and Duke. The Duke loss might have been partially weather related, but they only managed 6 points.

It figures that Army's best team in a decade will be facing off against a Navy team that upset Houston and a decent Air Force team too.

Franks Tanks
October 10th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I'd like to know what happened to Army. When they beat UTEP 66-14 on the road I honestly thought they might have a team that has a shot at the CoC trophy. Now they've lost back-to-back games to (ecch) Buffalo and Duke. The Duke loss might have been partially weather related, but they only managed 6 points.

It figures that Army's best team in a decade will be facing off against a Navy team that upset Houston and a decent Air Force team too.

Duke is not a bad loss..Duke beat Notre Dame and is a solid program. Army is much better, but still a team learning to win.

Go...gate
October 10th, 2016, 10:23 AM

The emotions of losing their teammate must still weigh on them to a degree. It is a long season and I believe they will get things back together.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2016, 10:58 AM
One thing I know about Monken is he will not let up on the Leopards if they show any sign of weakness. If they go up by a lot, they well keep the accelerator pressed down. So if the Leopards to have a chance in this game, they have to make Army doubt their own abilities from the very first few drives. If they don't, it could get real ugly real fast.

Fordham
October 10th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Is there any excitement in Pard land over this game? We were awful in 2011 and ended up getting pounded in a rare October blizzard that day but the fan base, alums, etc were very excited about playing a game at West Point. It felt like an amazing accomplishment for the program. Does that feeling exist in Pardland?

Franks Tanks
October 10th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Is there any excitement in Pard land over this game? We were awful in 2011 and ended up getting pounded in a rare October blizzard that day but the fan base, alums, etc were very excited about playing a game at West Point. It felt like an amazing accomplishment for the program. Does that feeling exist in Pardland?

None that I am aware of. We last played Army in 1997, but nobody seems to care. I'm not going, and nobody I know is going. Interest in Lafayette football is about as low as I've ever seen at the moment. We need our own Coach Joe to save us.

Franks Tanks
October 10th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Forgot to mention that our former longtime DC John Loose is now on the Army staff. Loose was with Lafayette for I think 13 years, and knows Frank and Mickey as well as anyone. It will be ugly.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2016, 12:09 PM
None that I am aware of. We last played Army in 1997, but nobody seems to care. I'm not going, and nobody I know is going. Interest in Lafayette football is about as low as I've ever seen at the moment. We need our own Coach Joe to save us.

If true, that is extraordinary. I like to think if Lehigh were in the doldrums and not doing well, I'd still make time to take the trip up to Army. It is a beautiful, iconic venue and one of the best places to watch a football game. I've been to Michie and it is great.

DFW HOYA
October 10th, 2016, 12:22 PM
So how do the Lehigh coaches prevent a troubling case of overconfidence this weekend? The Engineers have won 15 straight in the series. In its last three games this season, it has averaged 50 points per game. In its last three, Georgetown has scored 17 points in each game but were a chilling 4 for 42 in third down conversions. (Earlier this season against Marist, it wasn't much better, just 5 for 20.)

Strange as it may seem, Georgetown still stands a better chance with Lehigh than Fordham.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2016, 12:30 PM
So how do the Lehigh coaches prevent a troubling case of overconfidence this weekend? The Engineers have won 15 straight in the series. In its last three games this season, it has averaged 50 points per game. In its last three, Georgetown has scored 17 points in each game but were a chilling 4 for 42 in third down conversions.

Strange as it may seem, Georgetown still stands a better chance with Lehigh than Fordham.

FWIW the head coaches were already all over this by the postgame. Also worthy of note was that all the games during the winning streak for Lehigh were either high-stakes games (Penn), revenge games (Princeton, Yale), or both (Colgate). I think the Lehigh coaches are calling this high-stakes because it's a league game (thus by definition it's high-stakes). Certainly stubbing their toe at G'Town would undo a lot of good that has built up over the last four weeks.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2016, 12:33 PM
One word of caution about the Yale game. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Yale slows down Fordham's running game. Their front seven is legit. They've had a lot of problems everywhere else, but their DL and LB are very good players.

ngineer
October 10th, 2016, 12:57 PM
You guys have to up your game on the Lafayette Army scores.

Something like 59-10 would be appropriate

My thinking was that was possiblity,but I'd like to think 'pards will show some spunk,and I don't think Army is into running it up.

ngineer
October 10th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Forgot to mention that our former longtime DC John Loose is now on the Army staff. Loose was with Lafayette for I think 13 years, and knows Frank and Mickey as well as anyone. It will be ugly.

Wow. I was not aware Loose was at West Point. I thought he had gone to the midwest. With him 'so close', I see him as Frank's successor if he's into rebuilding.

ngineer
October 10th, 2016, 01:05 PM
So how do the Lehigh coaches prevent a troubling case of overconfidence this weekend? The Engineers have won 15 straight in the series. In its last three games this season, it has averaged 50 points per game. In its last three, Georgetown has scored 17 points in each game but were a chilling 4 for 42 in third down conversions. (Earlier this season against Marist, it wasn't much better, just 5 for 20.)

I spoke with a number of players after the game and, to a man, each one seemed focused on the reality that nothing has been accomplished yet, nor will will be accomplished if they lose focus on the next game. I'd love to see them come out at Georgetown with a huge killer instinct. Actually a 'close' win could be a blessing to teach any non-believers that each week can be different. Just look at the who beat who this year. I think someone somewhere else showed that Columbia should beat Notre Dame because of the number of upsets.

eiu1999
October 10th, 2016, 02:34 PM
COLGATE @ BUCKNELL
Yale @ FORDHAM
LEHIGH @ GEORGETOWN
Harvard @ HOLY CROSS
LAFAYETTE @ Army

van
October 10th, 2016, 02:53 PM
COLGATE @ BUCKNELL, gate has too many weapons on O and solid run D

Yale @ FORDHAM, which Eli shows up? should not matter as Rams O too potent

LEHIGH @ GEORGETOWN, "trap game" concern not withstanding, engineers win going away and second teamers get some PT

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS, could be ugly, will anyone care?

LAFAYETTE @ Army, see above

TheValleyRaider
October 10th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Two rough weeks in a row. Also, my picks haven't been great recently. 2-2 last week, 23-11 overall. Time to get off the mat and get going.

Colgate at Bucknell Colgate Even with the better offenses we've brought to face the Bison in recent years, their defense has done a solid job keeping us off the scoreboard. I certainly don't blame this last loss on any lingering hangover from the Cornell debacle, but I'm still not sure of this team's mental state. More importantly, I'm not sold on this offense without James Holland at RB. Yards and points will be tough to come by, and I expect a real slog. The thing that gives me the most confidence at this point is that I don't believe the Bison are as good as the two teams that just beat us. It'll be tough, probably unpleasant to watch, but a winning record is still very much on the table for the 'Gate.

Yale at Fordham Fordham Sandbagging from some of their fans aside, Fordham has quietly been chugging along this year, at least compared to the noise generated by other programs. Points were plentiful again last week, though their opponents here are probably gaining a renewed confidence after their upset of Dartmouth. Even if the Yale defense can slow the Rams down a bit, I'm not sure their offense will be able to keep up. Lehigh looms in two weeks...

Lehigh at Georgetown Lehigh Speaking of which, the Hawks follow up their big win by travelling to DC. The long trip might take something out of them, but not enough for the Hoyas to keep up. Even if there's a bit of a (understandable) letdown, I don't buy Georgetown being strong enough defensively to keep the Hawks off the board for too long, or their offense being able to match the pace. Fordham looms in two weeks...

Harvard at Holy Cross Harvard Beware the dead coach walking. Indications from the Sader Faithful are that November will be the end of the line for Gilmore. Do his players have one last big effort to grab a big upset? I'd feel better about predicting that if they hadn't just blown a lead to Bucknell. Maybe they can keep close and build confidence for an upset later in the year? Harvard hasn't lost to a PL opponent since 2011, when they went down in Worcester. Of course, none of those opponents was Fordham/Colgate/Lehigh, but it is a streak. Not saying anything about this matchup (see the pick), just thought it was interesting.

Lafayette at Army Army The Black Knights of the Hudson from Army West Point New York United States might actually be good again. Or at least not dreadful anymore. Could they go bowling? Whatever happens I'm sure Pards who do go will enjoy the trip. Keep an eye on the leaves, which are usually lovely this time of year. The football? Probably less so.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2016, 11:45 PM

Lehigh will be focused on that task at hand. The key is avoiding injuries. Georgetown is in serious trouble on Saturday. Bucknell beat Lehigh after 15 straight losses. The Hoyas are destined for 16...

Lehigh's dominance over the Hoyas and Bucknell during the last 15+ years is both shocking and impressive. No one else in the league has come close to those streaks. Hell, in the country...

carney2
October 11th, 2016, 07:28 AM
COLGATE @ BUCKNELL - Bucky's running out of time to show something - anything.

Yale @ FORDHAM - Eli shows that the Dartmouth win was done with smoke and mirrors

LEHIGH @ GEORGETOWN - We keep hearing that the Hoyas are "better than you think." Time to prove it.

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS - Many Crossers want this to get truly ugly, considering it yet another nail in the Gilmore coffin.

LAFAYETTE @ Army - In the middle of one of the better Army seasons in a long time, the Cadets have to take a time out to scrimmage a near D3 club football program and its part-time coach.

LeopardBall10
October 11th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Wow. I was not aware Loose was at West Point. I thought he had gone to the midwest. With him 'so close', I see him as Frank's successor if he's into rebuilding.

He still "lives" in North Hampton. He spends a lot of time away from his family with his new job, but he got a big time pay bump and finally got away from Frank. But with his daughter struggling with her brain tumors and all of her doctors established there, and another daughter in high school he wasn't about to uproot everything.

I think he would be very interested in the position, but my gut tells me that the bad taste in his mouth still lingers. But if you look at the Lafayette Coaching tree almost everyone comes from the Loose branch. A Loose run team would see a lot of successful alumni come back to the hill.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2016, 10:28 AM
COLGATE @ BUCKNELL - Bucky's running out of time to show something - anything.

Bucky did beat Holy Cross last week....

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0001/926/MI0001926566.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

2ram
October 11th, 2016, 11:07 AM
LAFAYETTE @ Army - In the middle of one of the better Army seasons in a long time, the Cadets have to take a time out to scrimmage a near D3 club football program and its part-time coach.

that doesn't seem fair. i'm sure it's been a full time job getting lafayette to permanent cellar dwellar status.

ngineer
October 11th, 2016, 12:31 PM
He still "lives" in Northampton. He spends a lot of time away from his family with his new job, but he got a big time pay bump and finally got away from Frank. But with his daughter struggling with her brain tumors and all of her doctors established there, and another daughter in high school he wasn't about to uproot everything.

I think he would be very interested in the position, but my gut tells me that the bad taste in his mouth still lingers. But if you look at the Lafayette Coaching tree almost everyone comes from the Loose branch. A Loose run team would see a lot of successful alumni come back to the hill.

It's Northampton (one word). Home of the Konkrete Kids. Being from "The Valley" is even more of a reason to hire Loose, assuming he would want it. Great local connection to boost interest.

Fordham
October 11th, 2016, 12:46 PM
That's really too bad. Amazing location and so cool to see your team run onto that field imo. Add in that it's right when the leaves are changing and I can't think of many better places to catch a college football game. Stunning scenery and campus and as their on-field product went down they have done a really nice job with the overall game day experience imo. You should really try to go and you Pard fans should really try to enjoy it as much as it's frustrating to see how poorly you're playing right now.

carney2
October 11th, 2016, 01:22 PM
It's Northampton (one word). Home of the Konkrete Kids. Being from "The Valley" is even more of a reason to hire Loose, assuming he would want it. Great local connection to boost interest.

In my uninformed opinion, John Loose would not be a good hire to replace Frank. We need a complete break from the past. We need a young go-getter who can recruit and who doesn't mind telling anyone who will listen that he is on the way up and doesn't plan on sticking around. Of course, with Brucie on the search committee, we will hire an aging former head coach who can get in line to eventually get his gold watch upon retirement. The other option, of course, is to promote from within. Chances of a Tavani exit ending well are way below 50% - again in my opinion.

CFBfan
October 12th, 2016, 02:56 PM
kevin kelly might be looking for a new gig

crusader11
October 12th, 2016, 03:13 PM
kevin kelly might be looking for a new gig

Which Kevin Kelly??? The Ball State DC and former Georgetown coach, or this guy: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-high-school-football-coach-who-never-punts/

We will see a college team use this strategy, in some capacity, in the near future.

CFBfan
October 12th, 2016, 03:22 PM
tongue in cheek the former gtown coach

DFW HOYA
October 12th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Which Kevin Kelly??? The Ball State DC and former Georgetown coach, or this guy: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-high-school-football-coach-who-never-punts/

The former Georgetown and Ball State coach is now a HS coach in Kingston, PA:

http://www.wyomingseminary.org/page.cfm?p=2201&teamID=35&display=Coaches

MR. CHICKEN
October 12th, 2016, 03:51 PM
COLGATE
FORDHAM
LEHIGH
HARVARD
ARMY

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 12th, 2016, 04:27 PM

Bill Russo's old stomping grounds! That place is like $20k a year...

Go...gate
October 12th, 2016, 04:27 PM

That is a very fine school.

ngineer
October 12th, 2016, 07:18 PM

Not really a "high school" but a prep school that matriculates a lot of high school grads who go there for a year of "maturing". You will have students who go through the lower grades, but "The Sem" has been known to be a holding pen for a lot of promising football players and wrestlers who need another year for whatever reason before entering college.

DFW HOYA
October 12th, 2016, 08:18 PM
That is a very fine school.

Five years ago, Kevin Kelly was a finalist for the Yale job. Now, he's at a prep school. Such is the life of coaches--no guarantees.

jimbo65
October 13th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Disagree, Army was known for running it up when they had a chance, problem for them was in recent years they had little opportunity to do so. If they can run it up Saturday, they will. Hopefully Lafayette will be competitive.

Leopard Loyalist
October 13th, 2016, 12:50 PM
COLGATE @ BUCKNELL
Yale @ FORDHAM
LEHIGH @ GEORGETOWN
Harvard @ HOLY CROSS
LAFAYETTE @ Army

Spider from the North
October 13th, 2016, 01:12 PM
COLGATE @ BUCKNELL
YALE @ FORDHAM
LEHIGH @ GEORGETOWN
HARVARD @ HOLY CROSS
LAFAYETTE @ ARMY

Fordhamanhattan
October 13th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I am picking some home cooking for the Bison 23-20
The Rams over the Eli 45-21
The erstwhile Engineers big over the Hoyas 45-10
Sadly the Crimson 55-21
The Black Knights of the Hudson 65-10. Army does run it up. I was at Fordham's 55-0 Halloween snowball loss.

TheValleyRaider
October 13th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Five years ago, Kevin Kelly was a finalist for the Yale job. Now, he's at a prep school. Such is the life of coaches--no guarantees.

All the more reason for the potential Holy Cross job to be attractive to a pretty wide range of candidates... xtwocentsx

PAllen
October 14th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Bucknell with some help at home.
Fordham big
Harvard big in what could truly mark the final slide into oblivion for Gilmore's time at the helm.
Army might break 80.

And the superstition pick of the week: The Hoyas in a close one.

While definitely a trap game, I think the Engineers should be the favorites. That all said, I've been picking LU's games all wrong this season, and I'm happy to give up my W-L record if it could help the team's W-L at all. :) Plus, it looks like I'll be seeing this game in person after all. I'll be the guy on the home side with the two blond kids in tow.

carney2
October 14th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Army might break 80.

I doubt if 60 minutes is enough time for an offense like Army's to crack 80. They can pretty much name any score they want however. It won't be Michigan @ Rutgers bad, but will feel that way.

RichH2
October 14th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Army
Fordham
Lehigh
Gate
Harvard

BucBisonAtLarge
October 14th, 2016, 03:53 PM
That's really too bad. Amazing location and so cool to see your team run onto that field imo. Add in that it's right when the leaves are changing and I can't think of many better places to catch a college football game. Stunning scenery and campus and as their on-field product went down they have done a really nice job with the overall game day experience imo. You should really try to go and you Pard fans should really try to enjoy it as much as it's frustrating to see how poorly you're playing right now.

I agree. I watched the Bucknell-Army game on TV. It was a great day for the program. That game may have been the season highlight.

Lehigh'98
October 14th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Bucknell - Defense coming together
Fordham
Harvard
Lehigh
Army

Go...gate
October 14th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Colgate 20, Bucknell 19

Fordham 33, Yale 21

Lehigh 28, Georgetown 20

Harvard 30, Holy Cross 24

Army 35, Lafayette 16

Bonus Pick: Princeton 24, Brown 14

Bill
October 14th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Almost forgot to post my picks of the week. I remain a very pedestrian 23-11 for the year.

COLGATE @ BUCKNELL - - Colgate, 36-22
Yale @ FORDHAM - Fordham, 40-18
LEHIGH @ GEORGETOWN - Lehigh, 48-19
Harvard @ HOLY CROSS - Harvard, 24-21
LAFAYETTE @ Army - Army, 44-12

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2016, 07:57 PM
2-2 last week, still a solid 24-9 on the year....

Army 59 Lafayette 16 -This will not be pretty but the 'Pards are getting a nice paycheck as a consolation prize....

Harvard 42 Holy Cross 23 - The Crusaders have questions at QB and on defense. The Crimson have no such worries...

Fordham 51 Yale 38 - I have no idea how Yale beat Dartmouth. Based on the first 3 gams they have little shot at slowing down the Rams offense...

Colgate 27 Bucknell 24 - This is a very interesting game. I still don't buy Bucknell but Colgate is definitely limping right now. This a character test for the defending league champion Raiders...

Lehigh 45 Georgetown 17 - The Hoyas offense is a mess right now. Their D is solid but short fields will kill them tomorrow. Lehigh just needs to get out of DC healthy...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Army 66 Lafayette 6 - Does me no joy is predicting this score, just think Monken and company will pour it on early and often.

Harvard 42 Holy Cross 24 - Ditto

Yale 28 Fordham 27 - A shocker.

Colgate 24 Bucknell 13 - Gate better than this

Lehigh 27, Georgetown 17 - Another shocker. (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2016/10/lehigh-at-georgetown-game-breakdown-and.html)

Pard4Life
October 15th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Colgate 30, Bucknell 21
Fordham 35, Yale 28
Harvard 42, Holy Cross 17
Lehigh 56, Georgetown 21
Army 59, Lafayette 14

RichH2
October 15th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Army 28-0 mid 2nd.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Shaf to Casey for a 40 yard TD...

7-0 Lehigh about 8 minutes left 1Q

TheValleyRaider
October 15th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Colgate 13
Bucknell 0
Halftime

Missed the 1st quarter and part of the 2nd. We've had to settle for 3 FG attempts so far, 1 miss. Doesn't sound like the Bison offense has been able to do a whole lot

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Lehigh 7 Georgetown 0 end 1Q

Hoya DL given the Lehigh OL trouble. Shaf has made some very questionable throws....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Shaf reinjured his ankle. Mayes in....

CHIP72
October 15th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Lehigh 7 Georgetown 0 end 1Q

Hoya DL given the Lehigh OL trouble. Shaf has made some very questionable throws....

Lehigh dodged a bullet on that INT where Shaf was sacked but the play was blown dead. (The throw was definitely after the whistle though.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHIP72
October 15th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Shaf reinjured his ankle. Mayes in....

LU doesn't miss a beat with Mayes. Now 14-0 Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Mayes to Pelletier for a TD. Shaf was not on his "A" game before he got banged up (didn't look serious). Mayes looked sharp on the scroring drive....

Lehigh 14-0 9:07 2Q

CHIP72
October 15th, 2016, 01:50 PM
As is often the case when Lehigh plays at Georgetown, there are as many, if not more, Lehigh fans than there are Georgetown fans in attendance.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 01:51 PM
The enigma that is Holy Cross is beating Harvard 21-17 at the half...

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2016, 02:10 PM
As is often the case when Lehigh plays at Georgetown, there are as many, if not more, Lehigh fans than there are Georgetown fans in attendance.

There's a good reason for that. (Many reasons, actually.)

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I can't believe the GTown kicked the FG on 4th and goal from the 3 instead of going for it. Play for the win coach!

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I can't believe the GTown kicked the FG on 4th and goal from the 3 instead of going for it. Play for the win coach!

When you've lost 15 straight to the Engineers, you take what you can get in the 2nd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Lehigh 14 Georgetown 3 Half

Lehigh was moving the ball at will at the end of the half but the Hoya's get a tipped ball int to prevent points. Mayes looks really good overall. Lehigh is dominating much of the play by the Hoya D is very solid...

CHIP72
October 15th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Watching Lehigh/Georgetown live, that late INT on the deflected pass looked like it hit the ground. What did you guys see on the stream?

TheValleyRaider
October 15th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Colgate 13
Bucknell 7
End 3rd

Chiarolanzio started the 2nd half at QB for the Bison after an injury to the starter Muh. Already has 100 yds and a score at the Bison pull close. Raiders are 3-8 on 3rd down, still not great

Raiders driving to start the 4th

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Watching Lehigh/Georgetown live, that late INT on the deflected pass looked like it hit the ground. What did you guys see on the stream?

It was impossible to see. The Hoya player didn't look too sure he caught it though....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Army 62 Lafayette 7 Final
Holy Cross 24 Harvard 17 3:20 3Q
Fordham 34 Yale 15 4:11 3Q

CHIP72
October 15th, 2016, 02:31 PM
It was impossible to see. The Hoya player didn't look too sure he caught it though....

I'm sitting opposite where the cameras are (visitors side), so I had a better look. The defender might have caught it, but it would have been a very good catch. I think it was one of those catches where the ball touches the ground and the player had some possession, but doesn't catch it without the ground's help.

CHIP72
October 15th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Mayes still in at QB for Lehigh to start the 2nd half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Lehigh's Left tackle Tim O'Hara suffered what looked a pretty serious knee injury. Really got rolled up on...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 02:56 PM
TD Lehigh! Bragalone from a yard out

Lehigh 21-3 7:52 3Q

- - - Updated - - -

Holy Cross 27 Harvard 17 5:45 4Q

Wow!

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2016, 02:59 PM
This team has NO offense. Then again, not a lot of impact players with a 1400 SAT without a scholarship offer these days.

Lehigh'98
October 15th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Go Holy Cross!!

TheValleyRaider
October 15th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Colgate 27
Bucknell 7
Final

Raiders got a score midway through the 4th to put this one away, then one more to make the margin look good. Bison never really threatened to score in the quarter, though they had the ball with a couple of chances to take the lead. Gutty win to follow up on a few wrenching losses. Next week is a bye, then Holy Cross comes to Hamilton.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Mayes to Casey for a 55 yard TD!

Lehigh 28-3 5:17 3Q

CHIP72
October 15th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Lehigh with a 57 yard catch and run TD. LU now up 28-3 with 5:16 left in the 3rd quarter.

CHIP72
October 15th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Wrong thread Rooster. 😀

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Holy Cross beats Harvard 27-17!!

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Holy Cross beats Harvard 27-17!!

Time for that coaching extension... xlolx

crusader11
October 15th, 2016, 03:08 PM
May be making the drive to Worcester next weekend for Holy Cross vs. Lehigh.

What a win for HC. What a way to bounce back after that Bucknell debacle.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Lehigh 28 Georgetown 3 End 3Q

Lehigh will have 1st and 10 at the Hoya 22 to start the 4th quarter.

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Down 35-3, no hope of a comeback.

Analyst Emory Hunt noted that Georgetown's freshmen have a "bright future". What, did he find a transcript from the Lehigh-Georgetown game in 2001?

Georgetown has no bright future in the PL. Tough words, but after 16 years, true ones.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 03:19 PM
TD Lehigh!

Lehigh 35 Georgetown 3 12:57 4Q

crusader11
October 15th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Emory Hunt is simply a terrible color analyst.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Lehigh 35 Georgetown 3 Final

Lehigh showed mercy on the Georgetown in the 4th quarter. That's 16 straight wins over the Hoyas. The O'Hara injury is worth monitoring. It really didn't look good. Shaf was fine (he was doing the holding duties). Lehigh is 2-deep at QB anyway...

PAllen
October 15th, 2016, 08:06 PM

Had a great view of it from the stands. It was an INT. That was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen at any level, but the INT call was one of the few correct ones. Luckily for LU, most of the bad calls went their way, or had no effect on the outcome.

PAllen
October 15th, 2016, 08:08 PM
This team has NO offense. Then again, not a lot of impact players with a 1400 SAT without a scholarship offer these days.

If the Hoyas have a QB, they score at least 21 more.

CHIP72
October 15th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Had a great view of it from the stands. It was an INT. That was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen at any level, but the INT call was one of the few correct ones. Luckily for LU, most of the bad calls went their way, or had no effect on the outcome.

You must have been sitting near me; I was at the north end of the field (the end where the deflection took place) in the top row on the visitors' side at about the 30 yard line.

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2016, 08:52 PM
If the Hoyas have a QB, they score at least 21 more.

The first stringer is injured (Barnes) and the second stringer has struggled early (Norris). The third stringer bears watching--freshman Brock Johnson played in the last series of this game, but without a running game he'd get mauled as a starter. In its last three games the Hoyas have averaged only 90 yards/game on the ground and are a combined 7 for 40 on third down conversions.

Football runs in Johnson's family. Brock's dad played QB at UCLA and his uncle is Rob Johnson, the former Buffalo Bills QB. He was offered a walk-on slot at USC but opted to go east.

ngineer
October 15th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Just rolled in from Georgetown. What a brilliant day for football. Stadium was packed with Lehigh fans filling entire visitor side and standing. My take aways: Typical G'town game for us. Hoyas undermanned but played a very scrappy first half creating some mistakes by the Mtn. Hawks. Two ints prevented two more TDs and Lehigh committed a bunch of penalties, which to me showed a lack of focus. Andy got them focused at half because the third quarter really salted away the game.

Shafnisky reinjured his left ankle. He did NOT do the holding in the second half, #15 Timchenko did. He is gimpy and not 100%. He acknowledged he was hurting last week after the game, so I think his playing at HC will be a game time decision. Mayes played pretty good, though the two tipped passes, one an INT and another almost. Both QB's are making good reads down field while scrambling when our WRs start breaking free. Casey is a beast. Again, he breaks tackles after a catch and takes it to the house on a 57 yarder. He is a "strong" runner. While this year is looking good, I can't help but look into next year with all of these weapons returning with more experience.

Defense played great. Of course, meaning no disrespect, but it was Georgetown, whose offense is restricted. But good tackling. Lambert is becoming a force as the Rover. Mish's kicking and punting was excellent. Everything was booming.

Ohara's injury is his right ankle, not his knee. he was on the sideline with a walking boot the second half. I think he will be okay, but may not be ready for next week. Will have to be assessed tomorrow. Bragalone ran very hard. His legs don't stop pumping. Most his yards come after contact. This team is rolling. It's looking confident and I think the Crusader's upset over the Johnnies will get their attention. Wish I could be in Wuhster next week, but will be in FL visiting my son. Hopefully it will be streamed via the PL network.

CHIP72
October 16th, 2016, 07:40 AM
The Lehigh/Holy Cross game will be televised by the American Sports Network and available for streaming on the ASN website (and probably the Patriot League website). You can check to see if the game will be televised in your area by checking the ASN TV schedule at http://americansportsnet.com/schedule/ (enter zip code near the top of the page).

CHIP72
October 16th, 2016, 07:43 AM
There were a few Georgetown fans on the visitors' side (I was sitting next to 3 of them), but not too many.

Apparently Georgetown now sells semi-GA tickets that assign you to one side of the field. It was sunny on the visitors' side (sunny enough that I even got a little sunburn, despite the low sun angle; pale skin does that to you).

ColgateTD
October 16th, 2016, 09:32 AM
So what does Colgate's win over BU tell about the title hopesof the Red Raiders? Is there still the possibility of a 3-way tie? (...not smart enough myselfto figure this out)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2016, 10:26 AM
So what does Colgate's win over BU tell about the title hopesof the Red Raiders? Is there still the possibility of a 3-way tie? (...not smart enough myselfto figure this out)

The 3-way tie scenario would involve most likely Fordham, Lehigh, and Colgate going 1-1 against each other, with all common opponent records the same (Fordham and Lehigh beat Penn, Colgate, Fordham and Lehigh beat Yale). Certainly could happen, but the FCS autobid would then go to highest vote of the Lafayette, Bucknell, GTown and Cross ADs.

Other possibility is Lehigh loses twice and Colgate runs the table. Also possible.

TheValleyRaider
October 16th, 2016, 10:33 AM

We need Lehigh to lose a game and we win out to have a shot at co-champs. Most likely scenario is probably Fordham knocks off the Hawks in 2 weeks. Assuming we then beat the Rams, that means we're tied with LU and get to be co-champs. In that scenario, Lehigh would still win the autobid, unless Fordham also wins out (except against us, of course). This gets much simpler if Lehigh were to lose a second game. If that were to happen, I'd say their game at Holy Cross next week is the best chance right now.

If FU beats LU, we beat FU, and all tie at 5-1 in the League, things get a little weird. Here are the League's bylaws from last year:

Tiebreaker for the Automatic Bid to the NCAA Championship
i. If a tie exists, the higher seed will go to the team that won the most head-to-head League contest(s) played against the other team(s) involved in the tie.
ii. If a tie still exists, a comparison of League records will be made between the tied institutions starting at the highest seed and continuing through the lowest seed, if necessary.
iii. If a tie still exists, a comparison of records against common out-of-league opponents will be made;
iv. If a tie still exists, a committee consisting of the athletics directors of each of the institutions not involved in the tie will make a final decision. The committee should consider various factors including, but not limited to, the following examples.
Note: the examples are listed in no particular order:
a). strength of schedule
b). overall record
c). computer rankings
d). performance during second half of season

The committee will meet immediately following the conclusion of the final game of the season’s final weekend. A majority vote of the members of the committee will be needed to determine the champion.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/genrel/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/201516PLpolicyAndProcedures.pdf

We'd already pass steps 1 and 2, so down to #3. At this point we would have 1 common opponent: Yale. All 3 of us now have wins over Eli. In addition, Fordham and Lehigh have both played Monmouth and Penn. Both beat the Quakers and lost to the Hawks.

From there, it looks like we're on to step 4, the other 4 ADs get to choose the autobid. At this point it's doubtful that the PL is getting an at-large, so you have to think the question of "who will perform best in the playoffs" will be a critical factor. From Colgate's perspective, you could easily argue that our success last year and close loss to potential CAA champ Richmond would help our SOS. On the other hand, we've only got 10 games on the schedule, and our best win would be Fordham. How impressive is that should Penn get the Ivy title? I'm sure fans of both FU and LU could make a case for or against themselves pretty easily too.

ColgateTD
October 16th, 2016, 11:37 AM
We need Lehigh to lose a game and we win out to have a shot at co-champs. Most likely scenario is probably Fordham knocks off the Hawks in 2 weeks. Assuming we then beat the Rams, that means we're tied with LU and get to be co-champs. In that scenario, Lehigh would still win the autobid, unless Fordham also wins out (except against us, of course). This gets much simpler if Lehigh were to lose a second game. If that were to happen, I'd say their game at Holy Cross next week is the best chance right now.

If FU beats LU, we beat FU, and all tie at 5-1 in the League, things get a little weird. Here are the League's bylaws from last year:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/genrel/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/201516PLpolicyAndProcedures.pdf

We'd already pass steps 1 and 2, so down to #3. At this point we would have 1 common opponent: Yale. All 3 of us now have wins over Eli. In addition, Fordham and Lehigh have both played Monmouth and Penn. Both beat the Quakers and lost to the Hawks.

From there, it looks like we're on to step 4, the other 4 ADs get to choose the autobid. At this point it's doubtful that the PL is getting an at-large, so you have to think the question of "who will perform best in the playoffs" will be a critical factor. From Colgate's perspective, you could easily argue that our success last year and close loss to potential CAA champ Richmond would help our SOS. On the other hand, we've only got 10 games on the schedule, and our best win would be Fordham. How impressive is that should Penn get the Ivy title? I'm sure fans of both FU and LU could make a case for or against themselves pretty easily too.

OK,thanks for the enlightenment. In any scenario our chances look slim.

Go...gate
October 16th, 2016, 07:16 PM

I don't believe so. At this point, if we can finish 5-5, I'll take it.

Go...gate
October 16th, 2016, 07:17 PM
What is this I hear about Murphy holding out some Harvard starters against Holy Cross to save them for the Ivy League schedule? What kind of BS is that?

ngineer
October 16th, 2016, 07:43 PM
What is this I hear about Murphy holding out some Harvard starters against Holy Cross to save them for the Ivy League schedule? What kind of BS is that?

I heard that somewhere, too, that he was going to use the HC game as the last "scrimmage" before league play. Not being familiar with the Johnnie's roster and who played in Wuhster, I cannot comment, but those in the know should be able to compare the rosters of who played with past games.

RichH2
October 16th, 2016, 08:01 PM
He did hold a number of starters out. Viviano starting QB for one. The issue is whether they were hurt or was he resting them. Globe said they were hurt.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I heard that somewhere, too, that he was going to use the HC game as the last "scrimmage" before league play. Not being familiar with the Johnnie's roster and who played in Wuhster, I cannot comment, but those in the know should be able to compare the rosters of who played with past games.

What I can say rather quickly was the QB Viviano played the entire game vs. Cornell. But maybe it was just old-fashioned hubris - they thought they could beat Holy Cross with their scrubs?

Worthy of mention here is that the Ivies don't enjoy a "bye week".

Is there a link to a quote somewhere of Murphy saying this?

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2016, 04:03 PM
He did hold a number of starters out. Viviano starting QB for one. The issue is whether they were hurt or was he resting them. Globe said they were hurt.
The Globe article I read said that Semar Smith (starting RB) was hurt (and the "scrubs" are terrible), but it didn't mention Viviano. Let the conspiracy pot stir.xninjaxxdontknowx