PDA

View Full Version : FIVE teams outside of the Bison that could win a Natty?

BigSouthFan
October 5th, 2016, 01:53 PM
I'm interested to see everyone's top 5 teams thus far outside of NDSU that are strong enough or unique enough to win a national title? We all know the Bison are over capable, but who has a chance of either directly or indirectly stopping a 6-peat?

My 5, in no order:

JSU
EWU
Richmond
Chuck South
UNI

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Cal Poly could probably win it with the right path.

SDSU could probably win it with the right path.

I'd say your list is pretty good, but I don't think Richmond has a shot this year. I'd probably replace Richmond with SHSU.

Of course by the time the playoffs come around NDSU will be beating everyone by 30 points.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 5th, 2016, 01:57 PM
EWU
Montana
Sam Houston
UNI
JSU

crusader11
October 5th, 2016, 02:00 PM
CAA looking awfully pedestrian these days.

Catsfan90
October 5th, 2016, 02:05 PM
CAA looking awfully pedestrian these days.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161005/c96da47b5d4259cc6841e4ccd7106461.jpg

So pedestrian! ;)

Source: Massey.com

BEAR
Depends on if they regionalize the playoffs. I'd give

SHSU
UCA
Chuck South
Richmond
JSU

F'N Hawks
It will take a team familiar with them. It will also need to happen in the first couple rounds. Not happening in Frisco.

DFW HOYA
October 5th, 2016, 02:06 PM
The Patriot League is ninth?

BEAR
October 5th, 2016, 02:11 PM
OMG so ditch the perennial SLC powers HBU and Nicholls and the Southland moves up so much! xbangx

Silenoz
October 5th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Thanks MSU!

Catsfan90
October 5th, 2016, 02:13 PM
OMG so ditch the perennial SLC powers HBU and Nicholls and the Southland moves up so much! xbangx
Damn anchor teams! Lol

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I wonder if Chuck South would even come close in the rematch. It was Week 0 and the Bison are well coached.

Grizalltheway
October 5th, 2016, 02:23 PM
If the Griz can win out (and that's still a big if) and stay home through the semis, I think they have a decent shot. You don't just forget about the kind of beatdown they got in Fargo last year.

crusader11
October 5th, 2016, 02:23 PM
So pedestrian! ;)

Point is that the CAA doesn't seem to have a team that is a national threat.

MR. CHICKEN
October 5th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Point is that the CAA doesn't seem to have a team that is a national threat.

......RIGHT NOW....JMU.....VILLANOVA......RICHMOND....(IF DEY GET DUH GROUND GAME GOIN').......BRAWK!

...MAH FIVE:

1. SAM HOUSTON STATE
2. JMU
3. EASTERN WASHINGTON
4. MONTANA
5. JACKSONVILLE STATE

Daytripper
October 5th, 2016, 02:27 PM
EWU
Montana
Sam Houston
UNI
JSU

This list^^

ASU33
October 5th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Jacksonville State
Sam Houston State
Richmond
Charleston Southern
Montana

Hanca
October 5th, 2016, 02:31 PM
JMU should replace Richmond, at least until they meet. JMU's ground game and speed far more impressive than UR thus far.

UNIFanSince1983
October 5th, 2016, 02:32 PM
The question is does anyone get to play them outside of Fargo in the playoffs? (No Fargo South doesn't count).

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Why Jacksonville State? Did a lot change over the summer? :D

UNIFanSince1983
October 5th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Why Jacksonville State? Did a lot change over the summer? :D

I mean by that logic why any team? No one did it last year so why this year?

Daytripper
October 5th, 2016, 02:38 PM
The question is does anyone get to play them outside of Fargo in the playoffs? (No Fargo South doesn't count).

Yes, I think NDSU loses two games this season among these they have left: SDSU, WIU, UNI and YSU. That still might not prevent them from winning it all, but they will have a least one road game before Frisco.

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 02:39 PM

Because they weren't even close.

Gater
October 5th, 2016, 02:39 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161005/c96da47b5d4259cc6841e4ccd7106461.jpg

So pedestrian! ;)

So if you are ranked fourth in both that gives you an overall ranking of third but if you are ranked fourth in both you end up ranked third overall?

UNIFanSince1983
October 5th, 2016, 02:43 PM

So then only 1 team has a chance it was UNI that was by far the closest in the playoffs vs NDSU. 10pts was the closest playoff game for NDSU last year. So again we can't go on last year.

ElCid
October 5th, 2016, 02:52 PM
So if you are ranked fourth in both that gives you an overall ranking of third but if you are ranked fourth in both you end up ranked third overall?

Those were only two of about 2 dozen polls used to come up with the composite. When he copied it those two just happened to be copied with the actual average rank.

BisonTru
October 5th, 2016, 02:53 PM

That's just a screen shot of the Massey Composite which includes 20-30 rankings. It just shows two of them in the shot.

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Cal Poly could probably win it with the right path.

SDSU could probably win it with the right path.

I'd say your list is pretty good, but I don't think Richmond has a shot this year. I'd probably replace Richmond with SHSU.

Of course by the time the playoffs come around NDSU will be beating everyone by 30 points.

SDSU at best right now is a dark horse to be the dark horse team. After three weeks if the defense is playing well, then I might agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walliver
October 5th, 2016, 03:02 PM
It is interesting that no one has listed Chattanooga - Has Chattown poisoned the well that extensively?

I would put Chatty in the list well above Charleston Southern.

F'N Hawks
October 5th, 2016, 03:03 PM
SDSU at best right now is a dark horse to be the dark horse team. After three weeks if the defense is playing well, then I might agree with you.

I would go SDSU because they can score and they know what they need to do to beat the best based on past history. A rival is the best chance.

I would also go with UNI because they can stop the run and know what they need to do to, etc.

Poly stands ZERO chance.

BisonTru
October 5th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Mine, in order.

5. MVFC team (SDSU, UNI, YSU, WIU, and ISUr) - I can't really decide who could as they all seem close. UNI is the favorite to knock us out of the playoffs, but I'm not anymore confident in them getting a natty vs. the other valley teams listed.

4. Chattanooga - I haven't seen them posted and it may be we all really don't want to see this one play out as one poster here will become absolutely unbearable if they get a natty. However, they are a solid team and have been for the last couple of years. They could easily win out and get a high seed especially if the teams listed below lose.

3. Sam Houston St. - I've been one of the bigger critics of the Bearkats from not only their weak schedule, but also their disappointing performance in Jacksonville last year. However, I will respect they may be one of the harder teams to get a hold of as far as how good they are. They may have as good of a team as many of their fans think. I'm still a little skeptical by time will tell.

2. Eastern Washington - Spread/High tempo teams are designed to give extreme advantages to their offense, and turn games into a score fest. As an example, look precisely what they did in the Fargodome. If they can do that again they will have another shot to take down the Bison.

1. Jacksonville St - I know they got beat down bad in the championship game, but look no further than the Philadelphia Eagles to see how much impact Wentz can have on a game. If they get a re-match I would be shocked not to see a much closer game.

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2016, 03:08 PM
I would go SDSU because they can score and they know what they need to do to beat the best based on past history. A rival is the best chance.

I would also go with UNI because they can stop the run and know what they need to do to, etc.

Poly stands ZERO chance.

This is somewhat accurate. This might be SDSUs best chance of all the years to win against NDSU. Looking back to the Dakota Markers inception, every game SDSU has won they scored over 24 points. They only lost once when scoring over 24. They haven't won a single game where they scored 24 or less. So interestingly enough, it appears history would tell us SDSU actually needs a high powered offense to win instead of being built like the bison for low scoring grind it out type games like when they had Zenner.

Grizalltheway
October 5th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Mine, in order.

5. MVFC team (SDSU, UNI, YSU, WIU, and ISUr) - I can't really decide who could as they all seem close. UNI is the favorite to knock us out of the playoffs, but I'm not anymore confident in them getting a natty vs. the other valley teams listed.

4. Chattanooga - I haven't seen them posted and it may be we all really don't want to see this one play out as one poster here will become absolutely unbearable if they get a natty. However, they are a solid team and have been for the last couple of years. They could easily win out and get a high seed especially if the teams listed below lose.

3. Sam Houston St. - I've been one of the bigger critics of the Bearkats from not only their weak schedule, but also their disappointing performance in Jacksonville last year. However, I will respect they may be one of the harder teams to get a hold of as far as how good they are. They may have as good of a team as many of their fans think. I'm still a little skeptical by time will tell.

2. Eastern Washington - Spread/High tempo teams are designed to give extreme advantages to their offense, and turn games into a score fest. As an example, look precisely what they did in the Fargodome. If they can do that again they will have another shot to take down the Bison.

1. Jacksonville St - I know they got beat down bad in the championship game, but look no further than the Philadelphia Eagles to see how much impact Wentz can have on a game. If they get a re-match I would be shocked not to see a much closer game.

So you'd give 5 Valley teams, one of whom Montana beat on the road, another who already got pounded by NDSU this year, a better shot of knocking them off than Montana?

http://65.media.tumblr.com/e8c28224ab6283725c89d64617792715/tumblr_inline_nhprr4v1KL1qaohdj.jpg

POD Knows
October 5th, 2016, 03:22 PM
This is somewhat accurate. This might be SDSUs best chance of all the years to win against NDSU. Looking back to the Dakota Markers inception, every game SDSU has won they scored over 24 points. They only lost once when scoring over 24. They haven't won a single game where they scored 24 or less. So interestingly enough, it appears history would tell us SDSU actually needs a high powered offense to win instead of being built like the bison for low scoring grind it out type games like when they had Zenner.

Teams that rely on a ground game, will not beat the Bison.

Bisonator
October 5th, 2016, 03:24 PM
1. UNI
2. SDSU
3. EWU
4. SHSU
5. Montana

It'll either take brute force on the lines or a fling it all over the field and outscore ya type team. #chuckthepigskin

Milktruck74
October 5th, 2016, 03:39 PM
It is interesting that no one has listed Chattanooga - Has Chattown poisoned the well that extensively?

I would put Chatty in the list well above Charleston Southern.

As a fan, I want to jump up and say don't forget the Mocs, but as a realist.....I think they are good enough to be considered on this list, but there also a ton of things that have to fall into place. This year with a easy start building in difficulty each week for the first 7 does fit nicely for a team with a new QB. I will say Chattanooga has the tools to get it done, but it has to align perfectly for them.

BisonTru
October 5th, 2016, 03:40 PM
So you'd give 5 Valley teams, one of whom Montana beat on the road, another who already got pounded by NDSU this year, a better shot of knocking them off than Montana?

Not really fair, but I would guess it will be one of those teams than the Griz. I could have included the Griz and Charleston Southern in that group or maybe even just called it the field. Or just did my top 4. xthumbsupx

grizband
October 5th, 2016, 03:43 PM

Poly stands ZERO chance.
Cal Poly has zero chance? If Prothero is healthy, they should be able to compete with almost anyone.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

smilo
October 5th, 2016, 03:45 PM

December 8, 2015, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii: Oklahoma 78, Villanova 55
April 2, 2016, Houston, Texas: Villanova 95, Oklahoma 51

Yeah, basketball is a different sport, but there is no doubt in my mind that these are also two very talented teams in NDSU and JSU, and psychology and coaching adjustments make a ton of difference - take that as a key underlying point.

Also, it doesn't have to happen in the final. Who's to say the Bison aren't taken out before then, and that team gets beat?

I do believe JSU is the 2nd best team in the FCS. I still put NDSU's probability at 75%

BigSouthFan
October 5th, 2016, 03:57 PM

Yeah, basketball is a different sport, but there is no doubt in my mind that these are also two very talented teams in NDSU and JSU, and psychology and coaching adjustments make a ton of difference - take that as a key underlying point.

Also, it doesn't have to happen in the final. Who's to say the Bison aren't taken out before then, and that team gets beat?

I do believe JSU is the 2nd best team in the FCS. I still put NDSU's probability at 75%

^ this here ^

jacksfan29
October 5th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Teams that rely on a ground game, will not beat the Bison.

Then this is our year. We definitely do not rely on a ground game.

JSUSoutherner
October 5th, 2016, 04:08 PM

I do believe JSU is the 2nd best team in the FCS.

I would love to say I agree but I can't say that we are. Not outright anyway. Too many little mistakes. We can't be a top team until we quit playing ourselves. However, if we get our game cleaned up teams better look out.

MacThor
October 5th, 2016, 04:18 PM
If the Richmond team that went to Charlottesville reappears they have a shot. They were on a mission to throttle every opponent between NDSU last year and NDSU this year.

They lost their swagger and haven't found it for three weeks.

EWU
JSU
SHSU
Montana
CAA Champ

BadlandsGrizFan
October 5th, 2016, 04:35 PM

Griz did it!

Silenoz
October 5th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Cal Poly has zero chance? If Prothero is healthy, they should be able to compete with almost anyone.

Poly has no defense, or at least its been MIA for weeks now. Hard to win playoffs games without that.

HailSzczur
October 5th, 2016, 04:39 PM
I'd like to think that we would be in "the next 5". As long as Bernardzyck doesn't revert to last season and become a huge turnover liability, the Cats won't beat themselves and could hang in a game with almost anyone. This team is incredibly balanced and the defense has just looked outstanding. The offense is probably about 1 play maker away from having a legit shot.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 5th, 2016, 04:39 PM
I think it has to be outside the FargoDome....only a very few can go into Fargo and win...its would have to be a team like Poly or UNI that is just gonna hammer away with the run..and not play a game where the QB checks are important....

F'N Hawks
October 5th, 2016, 04:44 PM

There is one side of the ball.

How about the other? Poly's defense would give up 300+ yards rushing at NDSU. They haven't shown anything close to a good defense yet this year. They put no pressure on Studsrud the other day, and I mean none, no sacks, hurries or knockdowns.

kalm
October 5th, 2016, 04:48 PM
I think it has to be outside the FargoDome....only a very few can go into Fargo and win...its would have to be a team like Poly or UNI that is just gonna hammer away with the run..and not play a game where the QB checks are important....

Gubrud threw 3 picks including a pick 6, we missed a PAT and the game winner at the end of regulation.

They might scheme away from zone but we were able to eventually pick apart WSU and UNI in man situations. Plus, no Deluca.

Not saying I'd favor us by any means but I'd feel optimistic about another shot there.

And we don't rely on QB checks near as much anymore.

kalm
October 5th, 2016, 04:50 PM
There is one side of the ball.

How about the other? Poly's defense would give up 300+ yards rushing at NDSU. They haven't shown anything close to a good defense yet this year. They put no pressure on Studsrud the other day, and I mean none, no sacks, hurries or knockdowns.

They've played poorly the last two weeks but held SDSU and Nevada below 400 yards and (without checking) I'm guessing season low yardages.

UNIFanSince1983
October 5th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Griz did it!

In the playoffs?

Grizalltheway
October 5th, 2016, 05:04 PM
In the playoffs?

Sure, let's go with that! :D

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 05:22 PM
So then only 1 team has a chance it was UNI that was by far the closest in the playoffs vs NDSU. 10pts was the closest playoff game for NDSU last year. So again we can't go on last year.

...and we might still have the best chance. I'm just curious why Jacksonville State already has a good chance based on this season or past experience.

I would say:
-UNI:Because that's who we are built to beat and we have done it.
-SDSU: rival, and their passing attack might be able to take advantage like EWU
-EWU: because OT
-CSU: because OT
-Maybe The Citadel?: Because CSU and Georgia Southern have given the Bison some good games? xlolx

KPSUL
October 5th, 2016, 05:25 PM
The five teams in random order:
EWU
JSU
Chattanooga
JMU
SHSU

UNI and SDSU could play at the level of the other 5; however, both teams are currently 2-2 and are likely to lose 2 MVFC conference games, ending up 7-4. Neither team will be seeded at 7-4, and consequently, will have a tougher route through the playoff bracket.

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2016, 06:09 PM
The five teams in random order:
EWU
JSU
Chattanooga
JMU
SHSU

UNI and SDSU could play at the level of the other 5; however, both teams are currently 2-2 and are likely to lose 2 MVFC conference games, ending up 7-4. Neither team will be seeded at 7-4, and consequently, will have a tougher route through the playoff bracket.

SDSU at 7-4 is virtually guaranteed to get sent to Fargo. If they don't get paired with Montana in immediately, they get a first round home game and end up getting a shot at it.

JSUSoutherner
October 5th, 2016, 06:12 PM
...and we might still have the best chance. I'm just curious why Jacksonville State already has a good chance based on this season or past experience.

I would say:
-Maybe The Citadel?: Because CSU and Georgia Southern have given the Bison some good games? xlolx

...Because we're loaded?

Like I said before, if we clean up our act we will contend. The Coastal game is a perfect example. That game should have been a total blowout. We them to 42 yards rushing but sloppy penalties and sloppy special teams (and one busted coverage) kept that game way closer than it should have been.

I'm just curious why UNI already has a good chance based on this season or past experience?

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 06:24 PM
...Because we're loaded?

Like I said before, if we clean up our act we will contend. The Coastal game is a perfect example. That game should have been a total blowout. We them to 42 yards rushing but sloppy penalties and sloppy special teams (and one busted coverage) kept that game way closer than it should have been.

I'm just curious why UNI already has a good chance based on this season or past experience?

More loaded than last year when they beat you by 4 TDs?

UNI lost to them TWICE by a combined 13 points. Both games in Fargo. We have a great shot in the UNI-Dome this season and proved we could hang with them on the road in the playoffs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2016, 06:33 PM
UNI
EWU
SHSU
JSU
SDSU

Grizalltheway
October 5th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Because they lost to two Big Fluffy teams this year.xcoffeex

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Depends on if they regionalize the playoffs. I'd give

SHSU
UCA
Chuck South
Richmond
JSU

It's good to dream little bear.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 06:47 PM

Poly stands ZERO chance.

I disagree, I think unique offenses are able to win with inferior overall teams if they get the right path. Poly has a chance for the same reason that SDSU has a chance.

YoUDeeMan
October 5th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Some folks need to replay the JSU NDSU game to understand what went on.

NDSU completed several 3rd/4th downs by the skin of their teeth thanks to Mr. Wentz. If they gave up the ball, the JSU offense had a chance to get warmed up. Instead, NDSU kept the drives alive (by inches) and kept JSU's offense on the bench. Flipped, JSU missed some of those third down conversions by inches. The score got out of hand, but in reality, JSU was inches away from being in, and possibly winning, that game.

And those who watched the first half of the NDSU/SHSU game knew that if Johnson had any accuracy, NDSU should have been down a few scores as the SHSU WRs were running free behind the Bison D. An SHSU lead would have changed that game dramatically.

But, those things happened as they did, and NDSU won.

Fast forward to 2016: EWU already gave NDSU all it could handle. SHSU's offense is MUCH better than last year and the year before...and they now have a deep and physical D. JSU is also team that looks better than last year. NDSU is no longer going to intimidate their 3 biggest challengers, especially if NDSU has to go on the road.

UNI isn't winning the chipper. They might beat NDSU due to their rivalry, but they plod too much and don't have the speed to stick with the better teams.

If you need another 2 besides the three above, I'd say JMU or Chatty, but they both have exploitable weaknesses.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 06:54 PM

NDSU completed several 3rd/4th downs by the skin of their teeth thanks to Mr. Wentz. If they gave up the ball, the JSU offense had a chance to get warmed up. Instead, NDSU kept the drives alive (by inches) and kept JSU's offense on the bench. Flipped, JSU missed some of those third down conversions by inches. The score got out of hand, but in reality, JSU was inches away from being in, and possibly winning, that game.

And those who watched the first half of the NDSU/SHSU game knew that if Johnson had any accuracy, NDSU should have been down a few scores as the SHSU WRs were running free behind the Bison D. An SHSU lead would have changed that game dramatically.

Fast forward to 2016: EWU already gave NDSU all it could handle. SHSU's offense is MUCH better than last year and the year before...and they now have a deep and physical D. JSU is also team that looks better than last year. NDSU is no longer going to intimidate their 3 biggest challengers, especially if NDSU has to go on the road.

UNI isn't winning the chipper. They might beat NDSU due to their rivalry, but they plod too much and don't have the speed to stick with the better teams.

If you need another 2 besides the three above, I'd say JMU or Chatty, but they both have exploitable weaknesses.

I think EWU would struggle mightily if they play NDSU again this year. NDSU's DBs will be significantly improved and the gimmick defense won't be used again.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
October 5th, 2016, 06:55 PM

PHRASING! Are we not doing phrasing anymore?

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 07:01 PM

I know this is hard, but what does that have to do with matching up against NDSU. xrolleyesx;)

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Also, my bad, I was going as best chance to beat the Bison. I'm a ****up. Thanks.

JSUSoutherner
October 5th, 2016, 07:03 PM
I know this is hard, but what does that have to do with matching up against NDSU. xrolleyesx;)
About as much as fluffing up two losses to NDSU last year.

If two close losses last year means a win this year then I'm scared ****less of Chattanooga.

BisonTru
October 5th, 2016, 07:11 PM

What are you talking about? Are you referring to the 35-3 game played two years ago?

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 08:08 PM
About as much as fluffing up two losses to NDSU last year.

If two close losses last year means a win this year then I'm scared ****less of Chattanooga.

...and we beat them the year before. Our coach hates them. They are the team we are built to best. Maybe if you're lucky we'll knock them out and then you can beat us by 4 scores. In the meantime you can dream about beating the Bison while we experience it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2016, 08:33 PM

JSU was never in that game. Plus, the last time NDSU played SDSU, they curb stomped them.

Keep going with your revisionist history.

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2016, 09:11 PM
All I know is if people want NDSU out of Fargo in the playoffs they should be huge UNI and SDSU fans

Cocky
October 5th, 2016, 09:15 PM

I would say:

Might also consider Eli Jenkins was playing hurt during the NC game and required off season surgery. If he is 100% we are a better team.
Looking at UNI v NDSU and JSU v NDSU playoff games the big differences are TOs, TOP, diff in number of plays and 3rd and 4th down conversions.
JSU and UNI avg close to the same yds per play and NDSU had the same avg per play.
JSU was the better rushing team while UNI was the better passing team against NDSU.
Passing yards were way better by UNI, Jenkins bad shoulder didnt help JSU for sure.
Penalty yards by JSU and UNI were close while NDSU had a few more yds of penalties against UNI
3rd down conversions and 4th down conversions were great deal different and this is where Wentz shined against JSU.
JSU loss the TO battle while UNI tied
Number of plays, 3rd and 4th downs, was close for UNI 54-58 while NDSU controlled the ball against JSU 51-82.
TOP was the same story UNI was closer by a big margin 28:14 to 31:46, JSU on the other hand terrible 19:09 to 40:51.

Give us our best player at full strength and NDSU minus their best player and yes I think we have a chance. Are we the favorite, no but neither is UNI or anyone else. Plus Frisco will probably go out their way for NDSU more than Fargo.

Of the one listed above, I would be more than happy to take our chances against any with our team this year.

Grizalltheway
October 5th, 2016, 09:31 PM
...and we beat them the year before. Our coach hates them. They are the team we are built to best. Maybe if you're lucky we'll knock them out and then you can beat us by 4 scores. In the meantime you can dream about beating the Bison while we experience it.

Well I guess you know as well as I do that beating them in the regular season means jack come December.xthumbsupx

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Then this is our year. We definitely do not rely on a ground game.

Pretty sure you don't need it.

FCSwatcher
October 5th, 2016, 09:58 PM

Yep and the Bison lost a Big Fluffy last year in the first game. How did that turn out?

It isn't where you start it is where you finish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Might also consider Eli Jenkins was playing hurt during the NC game and required off season surgery. If he is 100% we are a better team.
Looking at UNI v NDSU and JSU v NDSU playoff games the big differences are TOs, TOP, diff in number of plays and 3rd and 4th down conversions.
JSU and UNI avg close to the same yds per play and NDSU had the same avg per play.
JSU was the better rushing team while UNI was the better passing team against NDSU.
Passing yards were way better by UNI, Jenkins bad shoulder didnt help JSU for sure.
Penalty yards by JSU and UNI were close while NDSU had a few more yds of penalties against UNI
3rd down conversions and 4th down conversions were great deal different and this is where Wentz shined against JSU.
JSU loss the TO battle while UNI tied
Number of plays, 3rd and 4th downs, was close for UNI 54-58 while NDSU controlled the ball against JSU 51-82.
TOP was the same story UNI was closer by a big margin 28:14 to 31:46, JSU on the other hand terrible 19:09 to 40:51.

Give us our best player at full strength and NDSU minus their best player and yes I think we have a chance. Are we the favorite, no but neither is UNI or anyone else. Plus Frisco will probably go out their way for NDSU more than Fargo.

Of the one listed above, I would be more than happy to take our chances against any with our team this year.

At least you have a large band to keep you company. :)

sgt smash
October 5th, 2016, 11:07 PM
Has anyone said the Bison second stringers yet?

Mocs123
October 6th, 2016, 08:10 AM
I want to get through a scrappy Mercer team this week.

If we take it one week at a time we will see who if anyone is ready to take NDSUs crown soon enough.

UNIFanSince1983
October 6th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Here is the thing I am not sure if we can win a National Championship this year. In fact I highly doubt we can. I really doubt SDSU could either. However, I do feel like these teams have good shots at beating NDSU this year. So lucky for everyone else in the field that the two teams with the best shot at beating them would see them in the Playoffs long before the teams that do have legitimate shots at winning the Championship. This list includes:
JSU
UTC
EWU
JMU
SHSU

Gil Dobie
October 6th, 2016, 08:44 AM
JSU
Chatty
EWU
Chuck South
SHSU

UNI has a good chance to beat the Bison, but not sure if they can win the natty.

WrenFGun
October 6th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I think you need a team that is maddeningly inconsistent firing on all cylinders to beat NDSU. These teams that play like NDSU-lite are not going to beat NDSU in Fargo. No offense meant to defensively and offensively sound teams but I just don't think that's how it works. To me, Eastern Washington with their explosive offense is a team that might hang, despite obvious defensive inefficiencies. They're going to get blown out 60% of the time but have a chance to win in other circumstances, IMO. Teams like (IMO) Villanova are just going to keep games close but never be in them (like 21-6 or something) because I don't know that they have the offensive firepower to do anything.

Vintage UNH teams would've been an interesting matchup for NDSU because they could score in droves but were also a risk to lose 55-7. That type of team is going to be the one with the best shot, IMO.

slostang
October 6th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Poly has no defense, or at least its been MIA for weeks now. Hard to win playoffs games without that.
If Cal Poly has no defense what to the Griz have for a defense? Griz gave up 42 points to Cal Poly which was 1 more point than the Poly defense gave up to the Griz. Love how some Griz fans act like Cal Poly is beneath them when Cal Poly has beat them three straight games and 4 of the last 6 (would have been 5 of 6 if the Griz did not block a chip shot FG in 2013).

POD Knows
October 6th, 2016, 09:18 AM
If Cal Poly has no defense what to the Griz have for a defense? Griz gave up 42 points to Cal Poly which was 1 more point than the Poly defense gave up to the Griz. Love how some Griz fans act like Cal Poly is beneath them when Cal Poly has beat them three straight games and 4 of the last 6 (would have been 5 of 6 if the Griz did not block a chip shot FG in 2013).

Cal Poly has lost two games in a row to the University of North Dakota, that is all that needs to be said, BTW, both Cal Poly and Montana have ****ty defenses.

KPSUL
October 6th, 2016, 09:31 AM
JSU was never in that game. Plus, the last time NDSU played SDSU, they curb stomped them.

Yep, and I, a purely objective observer, was there too. Sorry Cluck you, I just don't remember all those tense moments where the game was hanging on an inch or two measurement. Instead it felt like "Bison-Fest" all day at Toyota Stadium.

Grizalltheway
October 6th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Cal Poly has lost two games in a row to the University of North Dakota, that is all that needs to be said, BTW, both Cal Poly and Montana have ****ty defenses.

Nope

Thumper 76
October 6th, 2016, 09:40 AM
I think you need a team that is maddeningly inconsistent firing on all cylinders to beat NDSU. These teams that play like NDSU-lite are not going to beat NDSU in Fargo. No offense meant to defensively and offensively sound teams but I just don't think that's how it works. To me, Eastern Washington with their explosive offense is a team that might hang, despite obvious defensive inefficiencies. They're going to get blown out 60% of the time but have a chance to win in other circumstances, IMO. Teams like (IMO) Villanova are just going to keep games close but never be in them (like 21-6 or something) because I don't know that they have the offensive firepower to do anything.

Vintage UNH teams would've been an interesting matchup for NDSU because they could score in droves but were also a risk to lose 55-7. That type of team is going to be the one with the best shot, IMO.

Paging SDSU. I think this list is different than a list of best teams. We've seen that it's more likely for NDSU to get beat by a team familiar with the Fargodome. Also, two of the non MVFC teams that have caused them issues in Fargo were triple option teams. The only one I can think of that was not a conference team or a triple option team that gave them a close game in Fargo during this run has been EWU. Poly might not have an awesome defense but they could do something similar to NDSU as to what they did to SDSU by just keeping the bison offense off the field. I do think they are much better at running the triple and at passing than CSU is. So my list would go:

Cal Poly- triple could give bison fits

UNI- just always play at another level vs bison

SDSU- has an offense as high powered as EWU and is used to the dome

SHSU-has an offense as high powered as EWU

EWU- been there, almost done that.

This isn't a list of top NC contenders in my mind, but of teams that could upend the bison in the playoffs. Also, you'll notice that most if not all of these teams would be likely suspects to play in Fargo. That wasn't on purpose. So I do think this could be the year that they get knocked out before the NC game.

In all reality it is possible that they could drop two of three conference games between SDSU, UNI, YSU, or WIU. More likely they drop one and get caught by somebody they shouldn't. Could happen this week, they tend to play poorly in Missouri. Either way I doubt they get a top 2 seed with two conference losses. Best way to end this run is for the MVFC to do well enough against them to get them out of Fargo. That's not arguable.

POD Knows
October 6th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Nope

Nope what?? That Cal Poly lost two games in a row to UND or that both schools have ****ty defenses, both statements are true. That doesn't mean that they couldn't beat the Bison, of course they could, South Dakota beat us last year.

kalm
October 6th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Montana had one poor defensive showing. Poly has played very good defense at times as well. Neither are ****ty.

Thumper 76
October 6th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Montana had one poor defensive showing. Poly has played very good defense at times as well. Neither are ****ty.

I would hold off on the very good defense, especially if you're thinking of the SDSU game. Poly never punted the whole game, had an eleven minute advantage in TOP, and SDSU still put up 31 points. Sure that's the least amount of points SDSU has put up, but that's more because Polys offense controlled the game and didn't let them in the field. And yards aren't near as important as points. If SDSU forces two or three punts they likely win by a TD or two.

Grizalltheway
October 6th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Nope what?? That Cal Poly lost two games in a row to UND or that both schools have ****ty defenses, both statements are true. That doesn't mean that they couldn't beat the Bison, of course they could, South Dakota beat us last year.

You've been talking to Alpha too much.

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2016, 10:19 AM

Inconsistent? That's my Panthers!

kalm
October 6th, 2016, 11:11 AM
I would hold off on the very good defense, especially if you're thinking of the SDSU game. Poly never punted the whole game, had an eleven minute advantage in TOP, and SDSU still put up 31 points. Sure that's the least amount of points SDSU has put up, but that's more because Polys offense controlled the game and didn't let them in the field. And yards aren't near as important as points. If SDSU forces two or three punts they likely win by a TD or two.

That's why I used the caveat "at times". But if you can use the TOP explanation does that mean that EWU's defense is really not all that bad considering we give teams 16 possessions to score? :D

In all seriousness, the type of offense a team plays affects defensive statistics. A stat that might be interesting to follow considering all of the up tempo/spread offenses these days would be points given up per possession.

Silenoz
October 6th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Funny, as soon as I wrote that I knew you'd chime in

1 - Do you see me claiming the Griz as a title contender?
2 - Yes, we know Poly owns us, you've stated these numbers repeatedly. I've also been one of the more vocal critics of the Griz in this regard. Why? It's not because Poly is beneath us, its because Poly fades every damn year, and we end up having yet another loss to a team that won 4-6 games. Why would anyone be okay with that? If UNI was getting owned by Southern Illinois annually, they'd grumble too

Silenoz
October 6th, 2016, 11:25 AM
...but yes, I would say our defense is better than Poly's. Other than playing TO teams. We'd lose to a f#$king high school TO team. Doesn't matter what year, or what coaching staff we had, we get owned every time.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 6th, 2016, 11:31 AM

Montana's defense is actually pretty good. I would venture to say really good. Cal Poly always gives the Griz D trouble because its so different from anything else....and yes Cal Poly's program is below the University of Montana's thats why we act like that.

Do something in the playoffs...EVER...and you will get respect.....until then you will always be that team that is about the 4th best in the Big Sky year in and year out.

jacksfan29
October 6th, 2016, 12:40 PM

Seems as if he was referring to SHSU but hey, if it makes you feel better yes; the Bison did manhandle SDSU last year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 6th, 2016, 01:16 PM

Montana's defense looks pretty good from what I have seen. Cal Poly's option is pretty unique, so giving up that many points is probably out of the ordinary.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 6th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Seems as if he was referring to SHSU but hey, if it makes you feel better yes; the Bison did manhandle SDSU last year.

Cut me some slack, I meant SHSU....typing on my phone.

POD Knows
October 6th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Montana's defense is actually pretty good. I would venture to say really good. Cal Poly always gives the Griz D trouble because its so different from anything else....and yes Cal Poly's program is below the University of Montana's thats why we act like that.

Do something in the playoffs...EVER...and you will get respect.....until then you will always be that team that is about the 4th best in the Big Sky year in and year out.

Montana's defense looked good in the UNI game and they look better than last year but I sort of compare this type of stuff to other benchmarks. I don't the Bison have a great defense this year. I think we are average at best but will get better. It is tough sometimes to rate defenses hell, Missouri State has a statistically better run D than NDSU. Do they have a better run D, I doubt it but the stats say so.

As a Bison fan would I rather play Cal Poly or the Griz, I will take Cal Poly all day long, triple option be damned.

grizband
October 6th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Montana's defense looks pretty good from what I have seen. Cal Poly's option is pretty unique, so giving up that many points is probably out of the ordinary.
Especially when 14 of the points followed short field turnovers.

UNHWildcat18
October 6th, 2016, 01:33 PM
IF JMU's defense shows up to play I don't see how they aren't in the mix, they have a great passing attack as well as a strong OL with a good ground and pound game.

Daytripper
October 6th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Cut me some slack, I meant SHSU....typing on my phone.

Freudian thumb slip....

Bisonator
October 6th, 2016, 02:07 PM
1. UNI
2. SDSU
3. EWU
4. SHSU
5. Montana

It'll either take brute force on the lines or a fling it all over the field and outscore ya type team. #chuckthepigskin
Caveat to my post. I was referring to teams who could knock NDSU out of the PO's. Once that happens hell anyone could win it. Yes even chatty.....xlolx

centennial
October 6th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Any good team with a high powered offense or unique offense + good enough defense. And NDSU will need to commit a couple of turnovers. The only exception to this rule is UNI. They are build to beat NDSU. My list-

SDSU- They seem very EWU like with a slightly better defense.

JMU- Good athletes, if they catch the Bison on the wrong day.

SHSU- Same as JMU.

EWU- Came close already. Fair warning NDSU fixes the defensive scheme and the game might not be the same anymore.

UNI

Others that could do it- Montana, CSU, Chatty, Jacksonville State, Youngstown State, Villanova, The Citadel.

Milktruck74
October 6th, 2016, 03:04 PM
So the question is how will teams approachNDSU in the playoffs....as a team that is unbeatable because they have won so many straight? or as a team that is due to be knocked off?

centennial
October 6th, 2016, 03:08 PM
So the question is how will teams approachNDSU in the playoffs....as a team that is unbeatable because they have won so many straight? or as a team that is due to be knocked off?

If a team comes in afraid they will get destroyed. The way to beat NDSU is come in with a few wrinkles that the coaches haven't seen. Score early, and put pressure on NDSU. Then hope that NDSU makes a few errors.

eiu1999
October 6th, 2016, 03:14 PM
JMU
JSU
EWU
Montana
NDSU practice squad

Daytripper
October 6th, 2016, 03:15 PM
If a team comes in afraid they will get destroyed. The way to beat NDSU is come in with a few wrinkles that the coaches haven't seen. Score early, and put pressure on NDSU. Then hope that NDSU makes a few errors.

I think the mistake some teams make is that when they come up against the Bison in the playoffs, they get away from what got them there. They think they have to do something special to beat them...but that means they are doing something that they are not really comfortable with and it backfires.

centennial
October 6th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I think the mistake some teams make is that when they come up against the Bison in the playoffs, they get away from what got them there. They think they have to do something special to beat them...but that means they are doing something that they are not really comfortable with and it backfires.

I agree, don't change who you are. Just new plays within the same scheme. Illinois State tried to become EWU this past week and it backfired. The only team that has been successful with this is SDSU who ran the veer, and almost best the Bison. They also had a NFL RB which helped.

Thundar
October 6th, 2016, 03:38 PM

always liked out games with Poly in the GWFC, miss them

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 6th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Any good team with a high powered offense or unique offense + good enough defense. And NDSU will need to commit a couple of turnovers. The only exception to this rule is UNI. They are build to beat NDSU. My list-

SDSU- They seem very EWU like with a slightly better defense.

JMU- Good athletes, if they catch the Bison on the wrong day.

SHSU- Same as JMU.

EWU- Came close already. Fair warning NDSU fixes the defensive scheme and the game might not be the same anymore.

UNI

Others that could do it- Montana, CSU, Chatty, Jacksonville State, Youngstown State, Villanova, The Citadel.

I bet the NDSU coaches do not run a 3 man rush if they play EWU again. Pressuring the QB is about the only way to slow down that offense.

Thundar
October 6th, 2016, 03:45 PM
NDSU loses in the playoffs i feel they will have beat themselves with poor play

with that anything can happen with injuries etc..and virtually any team with some luck has a chance to win it. NDSU is talented, but young they probably need Home field in Dec to go all the way again

centennial
October 6th, 2016, 03:55 PM
I bet the NDSU coaches do not run a 3 man rush if they play EWU again. Pressuring the QB is about the only way to slow down that offense.
Not only that we lost contain too many times. Illinois State game looked similar for a quarter. EWU offense requires some creativity on the defense. Send an extra man every so often, zones also have to utilized correctly, they understood how to exploit the nickel well, mismatches on man coverages will also become a problem with them.

AmsterBison
October 6th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Seems pretty wide open this year. NDSU isn't looking dominant... at least not yet.

CatsWin
October 6th, 2016, 09:46 PM

Not sure what you are talking about. In Villanova's 4 wins, the average score is 35-16. Just saying . . . . .

Bisonwinagn
October 6th, 2016, 10:37 PM
First I have no idea why people are talking about who can beat NDSU when it is irrelevant to who can win the Championship. The odds on favorites are those with top seeds and home games. That goes to JSU and SAM who should easily run the table and maybe Chatty OR EWU. I don't see anyone in the CAA getting a high seed and will make it a more difficult road. The 5th would be Montana or Richmond, UNI as they have playoff experience from last year.

slostang
October 6th, 2016, 11:19 PM

We did knock Montana out of the playoffs not too long ago.

Why does Cal Poly often fade late in the year? Depth. Unlike most teams in the Big Sky (UC Davis being the other exception) it takes more than a pulse to get accepted into Cal Poly. Average incoming GPA was 4.0 and we had over 57,000 applicants for 8,000 spots. Cal Poly lands a few great players like Protheroe, but it is hard to stock pile players because the coaches have to ask for transcripts before asking for film. if Cal Poly can stay relatively healthy this year I would not want to draw them in the playoffs.

CappinHard
October 6th, 2016, 11:50 PM
Mods, can you rename this thread "Big Sky d*ck measuring contest - Cal Poly vs. Montana"?

UNHWildcat18
October 7th, 2016, 05:19 AM
First I have no idea why people are talking about who can beat NDSU when it is irrelevant to who can win the Championship. The odds on favorites are those with top seeds and home games. That goes to JSU and SAM who should easily run the table and maybe Chatty OR EWU. I don't see anyone in the CAA getting a high seed and will make it a more difficult road. The 5th would be Montana or Richmond, UNI as they have playoff experience from last year.

JMU if they win out will be a top 4 seed

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2016, 05:44 AM
......RIGHT NOW....JMU.....VILLANOVA......RICHMOND....(IF DEY GET DUH GROUND GAME GOIN').......BRAWK!

...MAH FIVE:

1. SAM HOUSTON STATE
2. JMU
3. EASTERN WASHINGTON
4. MONTANA
5. JACKSONVILLE STATE

I like it but toss Montana aside and enter the Citadel

kalm
October 7th, 2016, 05:52 AM
JMU if they win out will be a top 4 seed

Yep. Even if the current top 4 win out, you'd have to move them above SHSU based on SOS. I'd also have them ahead of UTC for the same reason. Same can be said for Richmond and Albany. JMU has had it pretty easy so far, though.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 7th, 2016, 06:10 AM
There are a lot of lists without JMU on it, and for good reason. What have the Dukes done in the playoffs lately? Yeah... it's depressing for us purple and gold clad fans.

That being said, as the eternally faithful fan's mantra goes, this year is different! Why? In a word: coaching. We have recruited some amazing athletes the past couple years under Everette Withers; however, he grabbed Vad Lee and that was his security blanket to get to the next level (Texas St? ugh.). I am happy for the man, he's a classy guy aside from the way he left the program. But JMU is all the better for it. Only 1-2 guys transferred to Texas St., and the nucleus he recruited is slowly being turned into a fully balanced football team under a much more experienced staff across the board. For example, we have VT's Tight Ends coach as our.... Tight Ends coach! (Full disclosure: Stinespring is a JMU alum and also the run-game coordinator. Worked under Frank Beamer since '92 and wanted to be JMU's head coach, but he's far from that position on this staff. The Hokies always played a smashmouth run game, even with the Vick bros. at QB) In short, many of our coaches belong at the FBS level.

The defense is still not there, but it seems to get stronger with each passing quarter. QB Schor has matured and is settling nicely managing this team, learning when to throw vs. run, and becoming a leader. He was in full control vs. Delaware like no other game he has started. The RB tandem is among the best in the FCS, and WRs are heads and shoulders better than what we saw in the days of Mickey Matthews' Wide Blockers.

JMU has not been tested yet (UNC aside - wow what an offense they have!), but the schedule has worked out nicely to tune this team up and let them roll for the second half of the season against a much stronger half of the CAA. Rarely does a team come out unscathed, but I do expect JMU to make the playoffs. No one will want to play JMU despite recent records.

Side note: SHSU and Chattanooga are two other teams I would not want to face. It's just harder to figure them out in the SoCon and Southland conferences. I also think this might be Eastern Washington's year to break through and win it all. Villanova is a dark horse. There, that's five.

Disclaimer: Sorry fellow Dukes fans for totally jinxing the team. xdrunkyx

Gangtackle11
October 7th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Any selection of Richmond needs to include Villanova & JMU until further notice. There is little to no evidence that the Spiders have separated themselves from the current CAA leadership. I guess Albany can be mentioned too, but I suspect Richmond will take care of them tomorrow.

kalm
October 7th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Any selection of Richmond needs to include Villanova & JMU until further notice. There is little to no evidence that the Spiders have separated themselves from the current CAA leadership. I guess Albany can be mentioned too, but I suspect Richmond will take care of them tomorrow.

Yep. My bad. Nova is definitely included in that mix.

Gangtackle11
October 7th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Yep. My bad. Nova is definitely included in that mix.

Wasnt directed at your post, but I think for now they are in the CAA conversation.

Gangtackle11
October 7th, 2016, 08:17 AM
JMU wins out it will be impressive as they visit UNH, Richmond, & Villanova. Not to mention in-state rival W&M this weekend in Harrisonburg.

Grizalltheway
October 7th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Mods, can you rename this thread "Big Sky d*ck measuring contest - Cal Poly vs. Montana"?

I guess it's a nice change from the usual MVFC circle jerks around here.

UNIFanSince1983
October 7th, 2016, 09:19 AM
I guess it's a nice change from the usual MVFC circle jerks around here.

We like to jerk and we like circles. Deal with it! xviolinx

longtimemocfan
October 7th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Mine, in order.

I feel your pain and agree with you. I think how well we do through the end of the season depends on the progression of our QB. The defense is championship caliber, but the offense is still too inconsistent. Explosive more than in years past, but have to learn to grind out drives when up against really good defenses.

ST_Lawson
October 7th, 2016, 09:26 AM

https://i.imgur.com/G5IjNrI.jpg

Silenoz
October 7th, 2016, 10:56 AM
We did knock Montana out of the playoffs not too long ago.

Why does Cal Poly often fade late in the year? Depth. Unlike most teams in the Big Sky (UC Davis being the other exception) it takes more than a pulse to get accepted into Cal Poly. Average incoming GPA was 4.0 and we had over 57,000 applicants for 8,000 spots. Cal Poly lands a few great players like Protheroe, but it is hard to stock pile players because the coaches have to ask for transcripts before asking for film. if Cal Poly can stay relatively healthy this year I would not want to draw them in the playoffs.

That was one game, a decade ago. And we sucked.

I'm not trying to slam Poly. I want them to finish strong this year.

Okay, back to the circle jerk

grizband
October 7th, 2016, 10:57 AM
If Montana wins out (not saying it's likely), they would at least be in the discussion for a top 4 seed too

Grizalltheway
October 7th, 2016, 11:09 AM
If Montana wins out (not saying it's likely), they would at least be in the discussion for a top 4 seed too

Should be a shoo-in if they do. But I'm sure they'll have to make way for some 3 loss MVFC team.

grizband
October 7th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Should be a shoo-in if they do. But I'm sure they'll have to make way for some 3 loss MVFC team.
Helping Montana is our attendance, especially for later round playoff games.

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Has anyone mentioned the MVFC's record in OOC FCS games yet???

F'N Hawks
October 7th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Has anyone mentioned the MVFC's record in OOC FCS games yet???

Usually you guys take care of that for everyone. Somebody let us know!! xlolx

Thumper 76
October 7th, 2016, 12:01 PM
xlolx as long as it's outside of the MVFC thread. In there it gets ugly.

AmsterBison
October 7th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Usually you guys take care of that for everyone. Somebody let us know!! xlolx

Overall:

ConferenceId
W
L

Big Sky Conference

Big South Conference

Colonial Athletic Association

Ivy League

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

Missouri Valley Football Conference

Northeast Conference

Ohio Valley Conference

Patriot League

Pioneer Football Conference

Southern Conference

Southland Conference

Southwestern Athletic Conference

Against P5 competition:

ConferenceId
W
L

Big Sky Conference

Southland Conference

Patriot League

Ohio Valley Conference

Southern Conference

Northeast Conference

Big South Conference

Against FCS competition:

ConferenceId
W
L

Big Sky Conference

Southland Conference

Patriot League

Ohio Valley Conference

Southern Conference

Ivy League

Northeast Conference

Big South Conference

Pioneer Football Conference

Note: I haven't double-checked these numbers.

dewey
October 7th, 2016, 02:56 PM

If the Grizzlies win out I bet they are a top 2 seed. There only loss would be on the road at Cal Poly with wins over UNI and EWU.

Dewey

moc n tn1991
October 7th, 2016, 07:15 PM
I didn't realize the Southern was 8-1 against FCS OOC.

centennial
October 7th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I didn't realize the Southern was 8-1 against FCS OOC.

Yes, but how many of those are ranked teams?

kalm
October 8th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Yes, but how many of those are ranked teams?

I had UCA ranked at one point, but that's the only one that's even remotely close that I can think of. Fairly meaningless stat.

Mocs123
October 8th, 2016, 07:57 AM
I think we are 12-2 in FCS OOC games this year as of now. Our two losses were to Kennesaw State and Coastal Carolina both by Furman.

We have one more FCS OOC game when Meecer plays Austin Peay next week.

CSU18
October 8th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Would love to throw CSU in that list although with the injuries I'm not sure it's likely. Would love to have healthy team to take another crack at NDSU too.

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Had a vision last night. Our playoff opponents are:

Chattanooga
JMU
SHSU

Have I seen the future? We shall see in about two months.

Thumper 76
October 8th, 2016, 10:34 AM

Chattanooga
JMU
SHSU

So you're saying you don't make the NC game losing to SHSU? Or the NC game isn't a part of the playoffs?

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2016, 10:47 AM
So you're saying you don't make the NC game losing to SHSU? Or the NC game isn't a part of the playoffs?

NC isn't part of the playoffs.

centennial
October 8th, 2016, 10:51 AM
NC isn't part of the playoffs.

Is that where we all crown NDSU?

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2016, 11:06 AM
I don't know.

Katfan
October 8th, 2016, 11:11 AM

Chattanooga
JMU
SHSU

Hope we gave you a better game in your vision!

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Hope we gave you a better game in your vision!
As long as it doesn't end like 2014...

Thumper 76
October 8th, 2016, 11:16 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/lj935f7J3guGc/giphy.gif

TheKingpin28
October 8th, 2016, 11:42 AM

Keep drinking that Haterade. Seems like it has been working. xthumbsupx

Bisonoline
October 8th, 2016, 11:45 AM

You guys have been doing a lot of that in January havent you.xthumbsupx

centennial
October 8th, 2016, 12:31 PM

It was sarcasm. Always butt hurt.

Thumper 76
October 8th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Keep drinking that Haterade. Seems like it has been working. xthumbsupx

My ocean of haterade would make pacific seem small......

BigSky21
October 10th, 2016, 08:54 AM
After seeing UND change its season by coming from 20 points down in the fourth quarter against what appears to be a decent USD team with their win over Northern Iowa, I believe that this team is gaining momentum to make a run in the Big Sky and can be in the discussion for this list of teams outside NDSU that can contend. I am not saying UND is on the same level yet as NDSU but frankly for the last 5 years nobody has been. I think if anybody is going to dethrone NDSU it will need to be a team that isn't intimidated by their success. Bubba took a very young and inexperienced team into Fargo last year early in the year and obviously that showed on the scoreboard. I think anybody that followed college football at all last year knew that UND was not the same team at the end of the year and had they had some better luck in the middle of their schedule with Injuries, probably would have snuck into the playoffs. I am seeing the same similarities develop with this team this year. They have moved some o-lineman around and are creating a unit that can move the ball on the ground, they have 3 talented running backs that all bring a different element to the offense, and their QB when he is on can manage a game without turning the ball over. The defense has played very well thus far and the secondary is covering much better than a year ago. UND has every game left on its schedule as winnable and if they continue to play at the level they have been the last couple weeks they will be right there come playoff time with a potential matchup in Fargo. Though unlikely, I will take my chances with an in state rivalry playoff game being the game that ends NDSU's run over a rematch with Jacksonville State in Frisco.

My other selections:
-EWU based on their showing in Fargo earlier this year
-Youngstown State out of the Valley
-Cal Poly if they can beat everyone other than EWU they will be in at 8-3 with a talented QB and a tough offense to stop (defense questionable)
-Montana - simply because its going to take a valley or big sky team to beat NDSU in my opinon and the big sky has played the valley tough this year

nodak651
October 10th, 2016, 09:14 AM
After seeing UND change its season by coming from 20 points down in the fourth quarter against what appears to be a decent USD team with their win over Northern Iowa, I believe that this team is gaining momentum to make a run in the Big Sky and can be in the discussion for this list of teams outside NDSU that can contend. I am not saying UND is on the same level yet as NDSU but frankly for the last 5 years nobody has been. I think if anybody is going to dethrone NDSU it will need to be a team that isn't intimidated by their success. Bubba took a very young and inexperienced team into Fargo last year early in the year and obviously that showed on the scoreboard. I think anybody that followed college football at all last year knew that UND was not the same team at the end of the year and had they had some better luck in the middle of their schedule with Injuries, probably would have snuck into the playoffs. I am seeing the same similarities develop with this team this year. They have moved some o-lineman around and are creating a unit that can move the ball on the ground, they have 3 talented running backs that all bring a different element to the offense, and their QB when he is on can manage a game without turning the ball over. The defense has played very well thus far and the secondary is covering much better than a year ago. UND has every game left on its schedule as winnable and if they continue to play at the level they have been the last couple weeks they will be right there come playoff time with a potential matchup in Fargo. Though unlikely, I will take my chances with an in state rivalry playoff game being the game that ends NDSU's run over a rematch with Jacksonville State in Frisco.

My other selections:
-Cal Poly if they can beat everyone other than EWU they will be in at 8-3 with a talented QB and a tough offense to stop (defense questionable)
-Montana - simply because its going to take a valley or big sky team to beat NDSU in my opinon and the big sky has played the valley tough this year

Get ready to be made fun of. I don't think this years team has enough skill or depth on the OL. Next year could be interesting.

I'd like to start with making the playoffs for the first time.

F'N Hawks
October 10th, 2016, 09:37 AM

My other selections:

You are new here. You don't understand the dynamics of this message board but you are passionate about your team and happy they are finally winning some games. Like that. UND is not beating NDSU any time soon but like the passion.

Everyone, just be nice. It's Dakota Marker Week!!!!

Bison56
October 10th, 2016, 09:44 AM

Real good form, maybe slow it down a bit.

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Not just directed at UND but really with any team that doesn't have some playoff pedigree from the previous year (or two) isn't going to have much of a shot at getting on the stage in Frisco. Even NDSU made the quarterfinals the year before their run started. I went back and looked at all the semifinalists (other than NDSU) from the last 5 years and what they did the previous season and there's definitely a trend of being at least a playoff team.

Richmond - Made the playoffs (unseeded) - lost in the 2nd round
Jacksonville St - Made the playoffs (#3 seed) - lost in the 2nd round (their first game)
Sam Houston St - Made the playoffs (unseeded) - lost in the semis to eventual champ NDSU

Sam Houston St - Made the playoffs (unseeded) - lost in the 2nd round
Illinois St - Missed the playoffs (5-6)
New Hampshire - Made the playoffs (unseeded) - lost in the semis to eventual champ NDSU

New Hampshire - Made the playoffs (unseeded) - lost in the 2nd round (their first game)
Towson - Missed the playoffs (7-4)
Eastern Washington - Made the playoffs (#2 seed) - lost in the semis to runner-up SHSU

Georgia Southern - Made the playoffs (#3 seed) - lost in the semis to eventual champ NDSU
Sam Houston St - Made the playoffs (#1 seed) - lost in the title game to NDSU
Eastern Washington - Missed the playoffs (6-5)

So that's 9 of 12 that made the playoffs (although only 4 of 12 were seeded). 7 of those 9 won a playoff game the year before their run to the semis (or beyond). If you include NDSU those numbers go to 13 of 16 made the playoffs (8 of 16 were seeded) and 11 of those 13 teams won a playoff game the previous year.

BigSky21
October 10th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Yep I am new here and I realize there are a lot of Bison fans on here that will bash me for supporting my team which is just fine. I never once said UND was better than NDSU at the current moment. I respect NDSU for winning 5 national championships in a row with the real possibility of a 6th coming this year. The question was simply 5 teams outside of NDSU that can contend and my feelings are that those 5 teams would come from either the Big Sky or MVFC. I am not going to answer with Villanova, Chuck South, or Richmond because frankly once NDSU gets by the first couple rounds of regional playoff games the competition tends to fall off. We have seen that happen year over year and the only teams that have made them sweat in the playoffs outside of Georgia Southern were teams they were familiar with (SDSU, Illinois State). If UND can take care of business and win the remaining games on their schedule a matchup with NDSU in Fargo is a realistic possibility and having the experience from going into the Dome last year they will know what to expect with playing a game in Fargo. These thoughts are just my 2 cents on the makeup of FCS football at the current moment. NDSU is on another level from everyone else and their chances of a slip up are much higher against the teams that are familiar with them or play a similar brand of football.

CappinHard
October 10th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Yep I am new here and I realize there are a lot of Bison fans on here that will bash me for supporting my team which is just fine. I never once said UND was better than NDSU at the current moment. I respect NDSU for winning 5 national championships in a row with the real possibility of a 6th coming this year. The question was simply 5 teams outside of NDSU that can contend and my feelings are that those 5 teams would come from either the Big Sky or MVFC. I am not going to answer with Villanova, Chuck South, or Richmond because frankly once NDSU gets by the first couple rounds of regional playoff games the competition tends to fall off. We have seen that happen year over year and the only teams that have made them sweat in the playoffs outside of Georgia Southern were teams they were familiar with (SDSU, Illinois State). If UND can take care of business and win the remaining games on their schedule a matchup with NDSU in Fargo is a realistic possibility and having the experience from going into the Dome last year they will know what to expect with playing a game in Fargo. These thoughts are just my 2 cents on the makeup of FCS football at the current moment. NDSU is on another level from everyone else and their chances of a slip up are much higher against the teams that are familiar with them or play a similar brand of football.

Solid post, however I would disagree with your last statement. I think you need to take NDSU out of their element to beat them. (See the Iowa game this year) I know USD beat them with the ground and pound last year, but I see that as an outlier. I see a team needing a dynamic passing attack to be able to beat them. (Look at Montana last year and EWU almost doing it this year)

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2016, 10:14 AM
It's just a lazy argument to discount the CAA and SOCON completely. The SOCON was weakened by defections but some of the toughest playoff games the Bison played were against Wofford and Georgia Southern in 2012. The Big Sky has actually been the weakest of the 4 best conferences during NDSU's playoff run. They've only played one playoff game against Big Sky teams and that was the 37-6 whitewashing of Montana last year. In general over the last 5 years, Big Sky teams have been knocked out before they've been able to face NDSU.

BigSky21
October 10th, 2016, 10:48 AM
It's just a lazy argument to discount the CAA and SOCON completely. The SOCON was weakened by defections but some of the toughest playoff games the Bison played were against Wofford and Georgia Southern in 2012. The Big Sky has actually been the weakest of the 4 best conferences during NDSU's playoff run. They've only played one playoff game against Big Sky teams and that was the 37-6 whitewashing of Montana last year. In general over the last 5 years, Big Sky teams have been knocked out before they've been able to face NDSU.

Its not a discount to the CAA or SOCON. They are good FCS conferences but I don't see them producing the team that will take down a 5 time champion in the Fargodome or in a stadium full of Bison fans in Frisco so that is why I didn't select any teams from those particular conferences. 2012 was 4 years ago and Georgia Southern is no longer an FCS football team. The Iowa Hawkeyes have more scholy's than NDSU and more highly touted recruits, however NDSU hit them in the mouth by playing a similar brand of football and beating them at the line of scrimmage. Some may feel that you need to hit NDSU with a different element in order to beat them and for EWU that nearly worked which is why I listed them in my picks. My thoughts support my team because I feel we are built with the same strengths that NDSU is (playing solid defense and winning games at the line of scrimmage). I realize we need to make the playoffs first, I am just saying that if we take care of the winnable games on our schedule we will be right there come playoff time with an opportunity to show what we can do against the best in the FCS. The year is 2016 and the Big Sky is 4-2 against the MVFC so that is what I am basing my focus on for this season.

DirtyDukes
October 10th, 2016, 10:57 AM

Wait, why does everyone forget that Richmond lost to STONY BROOK? I feel like Nova and JMU should be included over the SPATTERS

Bisonator
October 10th, 2016, 10:58 AM

My other selections:
UND's defense is solid. Your offense has a ways to go to be a factor in the PO's IMO. Kind of similar to the 2010 NDSU team. If you get the right match ups you could win a game or 2.

POD Knows
October 10th, 2016, 11:01 AM

I am an NDSU fan that is picking UND to win the BSC title and I am serious about that. You have a cupcake conference schedule and all your tough conference games are at home. The stars are aligned, it is yours to lose.

CockyGeek
October 10th, 2016, 11:08 AM
JSU
Chattanooga
EWU
James Madison
Citadel

Bucs2016
October 10th, 2016, 11:26 AM
I think the best chance is a CSU vs NDSU rematch. CSUs defense had NDSUs offense matched up pretty well. We're a FG missed by 1 foot away from beating em in Fargo.

I think NDSU will roar into the playoffs and be unbeatable in Fargo.

If CSU can make a run and get em outdoors in the NC game...that's the best chance. Their 2nd string QB appears to run their offense better than the starter. He's really emerged as an excellent Game Day player.

BigSouthFan
October 10th, 2016, 12:46 PM
I think the best chance is a CSU vs NDSU rematch. CSUs defense had NDSUs offense matched up pretty well. We're a FG missed by 1 foot away from beating em in Fargo.

If CSU can make a run and get em outdoors in the NC game...that's the best chance. Their 2nd string QB appears to run their offense better than the starter. He's really emerged as an excellent Game Day player.

I don't know about BEST chance. I believe it's one of the good ones. Your boys took a nice game plan up to Fargo and almost came out on top.

When I listed Chuck South, they were one of the teams I was speaking of having a chance to win indirectly (Bison going down by someone else). That option works well as an element of surprise, I'm sure teams like PC and GW have slipped up and beat them in the past because of experience PLAYJNG against it not just seeing it on film. A NDSU - CSU matchup would be either in Fargo or in Frisco (Fargo South), two damn near IMPOSSIBLE places to play in the playoffs. Even though it's hard to beat a good team twice and CSU is really good. I think CSU's best possible route avoids NDSU.

jacksfan29
October 10th, 2016, 01:07 PM
NDSU have seen CSU this year. One of the things so many miss in the Bison run, the quality of their coaching staff. No one gets a second chance. Bison beat CSU by 2 TDS this time around.

Grizalltheway
October 10th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Wait, why does everyone forget that Richmond lost to STONY BROOK? I feel like Nova and JMU should be included over the SPATTERS

Not only lost but got BTFO. And yet apparently still deserve to be ranked above us despite our only loss being by 1 point to a top 15 team on the road.

Twentysix
October 10th, 2016, 01:37 PM

Barring injuries ndsu has a much improved o line.

DirtyDukes
October 10th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Not only lost but got BTFO. And yet apparently still deserve to be ranked above us despite our only loss being by 1 point to a top 15 team on the road.

I mean I guess beating UVA is supposed to impress? Still, no reason for them to be so high. I think Nova smokes them in their tiny stadium this weekend.

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2016, 06:10 AM
I like it but toss Montana aside and enter the Citadel

Montana not tossed out just yet but the Citadel can sleep on in to the finals

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2016, 06:37 AM
SDSU vs YSU winner is in the drivers seat for MFVC autobid.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 17th, 2016, 06:56 AM
I mean I guess beating UVA is supposed to impress? Still, no reason for them to be so high. I think Nova smokes them in their tiny stadium this weekend.

Good call.

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Montana not tossed out just yet but the Citadel can sleep on in to the finals

nothing gets past the Caribbean haha

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I would have to say Sammy has the best chance overall of winning the natty. Just a feeling.

Twentysix
November 5th, 2016, 08:06 PM
I would have to say Sammy has the best chance overall of winning the natty. Just a feeling.

ofc,lol

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:07 PM
ofc,lol

?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2016, 08:09 PM
EWU, JMU, The Citadel, Jacksonville State, Villanova

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:10 PM
In order:

Sammy
EWU
UCA
Villanova
JSU

CID1990
November 5th, 2016, 08:31 PM
In order:

Sammy
EWU
UCA
Villanova
JSU

Why the hardon for Sammy?

If today was a playoff game they'd be going back to AL

BTW they will go to the playoffs and if they beat CSU they will get another shot in JHS

i like our chances in the rematch

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 08:32 PM
In order:

Sammy
EWU
UCA
Villanova
JSU

xlolx obvious troll is obvious xlolx

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:33 PM

BTW they will go to the playoffs and if they beat CSU they will get another shot in JHS

For one they have a fun offense to watch

2nd, their QB is a freaking All American

3rd, they practically have their entire team back from last year's semi-finalist appearance

4th, they have KC Keeler as their head coach

- - - Updated - - -

3rd, they practically have their entire team back from last year's semi-finalist appearance

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 08:36 PM
-SHSU
-KC's sunglasses
-Briscoe's knees
-Those pants the Bearkats had that looked like underwear
-62-10

CID1990
November 5th, 2016, 08:41 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Sammy-

You mean SHSU

ok

You need to work on your nicknames

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 08:45 PM
-SHSU
-KC's sunglasses
-Briscoe's knees
-Those pants the Bearkats had that looked like underwear
-62-10

Damn I was trying to give you a rep for the helmet choices but You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PantherRob82 again.

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Sammy-

You mean SHSU

ok

You need to work on your nicknames

yea, I know, but hey.....I am from New York. I am just a fan of Sammy cuz I love how they play offense and Keeler is the real deal.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 5th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Damn I was trying to give you a rep for the helmet choices but You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PantherRob82 again.
Same.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 08:48 PM
yea, I know, but hey.....I am from New York. I am just a fan of Sammy cuz I love how they play offense and Keeler is the real deal.
GTFO. LOL. xrolleyesx

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:51 PM
GTFO. LOL. xrolleyesx
Next week it will be your turn to see the Sammy QB tear your defense apart.

:D

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 08:54 PM

He is a UNI fan? Do you not read? That must be a pre-requisite to be a SHSU fan to be incoherent and even if your tag say NYU, you have made it clear you like to be on the bandwagon

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:54 PM
He is a UNI fan? Do you not read? That must be a pre-requisite to be a SHSU fan to be incoherent and even if your tag say NYU, you have made it clear you like to be on the bandwagon

look at his helmet you idiot

Bison56
November 5th, 2016, 08:58 PM

Does it hurt being reeled in?xlolx

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Does it hurt being reeled in?xlolx

not really....... especially when you have a superior offensive unit and stud for a QB.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 09:18 PM
not really....... especially when you have a superior offensive unit and stud for a QB.

"when you"?

I thought you weren't an SHSU fan, just an admirer from a far. :rolleyes:

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 09:22 PM
"when you"?

I thought you weren't an SHSU fan, just an admirer from a far. :rolleyes:

can't I be a fan of Sammy just like you are a fan of Northwester St?

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 09:27 PM
look at his helmet you idiot

If you had any intelligence, you would know he is UNI, but part of being a Novembrist is that you show up guns blazing until you get your **** called out and then disappear and have no clue who anyone is or how anything works.

- - - Updated - - -

He is not though! He is just trying to prove to you he is anti-sammy

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 09:28 PM
If you had any intelligence, you would know he is UNI, but part of being a Novembrist is that you show up guns blazing until you get your **** called out and then disappear and have no clue who anyone is or how anything works.

- - - Updated - - -

He is not though! He is just trying to prove to you he is anti-sammy
who gives a rat azz buddy.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 09:39 PM

Spoken just like a sammy fan. When called out for their bull****, they pull a hillary clinton and act as if "what difference does it make" to try and deter people from seeing beyond their worthless team. Last political post for me, outside the political board, but when you push this narrative and I call you out for being wrong, yet again, you act as if you can just play it off as no big deal. So I care that you are a worthless attempt at a "fan" of FCS football. Become more knowledgeable before posting again, at least do us this favor.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 09:42 PM

Let me know when I claim them as my "QB"

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently you do, because here you are.

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 09:45 PM

- - - Updated - - -

you make zero sense ma'am

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2016, 10:34 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Rob, how come you keep choosing such "weak" teams for your avatar??? xlolx

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 6th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Just stop, NDSU is going to win 6 in a row and there is not one team capable of stopping them when they get in playoff mode.

You would be better suited to start a 2017 thread about gumdrops and rainbows. This is stupid.