PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Matthew

walliver
October 4th, 2016, 03:06 PM
CSU had earlier rescheduled their game against Albany St for Thursday, but that is now off due to Hurricane Matthew.
El Cid is still planning on playing Saturday, but obviously that won't be played if there is an evacuation.
Are any other FCS games at risk due to the hurricane? Daytona, Deland, Savannah, and Orangeburg would appear to be at risk.

RootinFerDukes
October 4th, 2016, 03:15 PM
http://www.csusports.com/general/2016-17/releases/20161004lzvgld

October 6 – Football vs. Albany State – Postponed

Daytripper
October 4th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Katy, Texas is preparing to evacuate right now.

McNeese75
October 4th, 2016, 03:24 PM

xeyebrowx

walliver
October 4th, 2016, 03:28 PM
The Citadel campus is closing and cadets are being sent home.

No word on the game, but fortunately it is a D2 game - although there will be significant loss at the gate.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2016, 03:43 PM
El Cid is still planning on playing Saturday, but obviously that won't be played if there is an evacuation.

Why not? Good teams overcome hurricanes. :)

JK - Prayers for all that this thing runs 32 Veer and heads out to sea. I'm in JAX on business this week and looks like I need to head back to the high ground of ATL earlier than expected and then up to the foothills of the Appalachians on Sat.

walliver
October 4th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Why not? Good teams overcome hurricanes. :)

JK - Prayers for all that this thing runs 32 Veer and heads out to sea. I'm in JAX on business this week and looks like I need to head back to the high ground of ATL earlier than expected and then up to the foothills of the Appalachians on Sat.

Charleston floods during a drizzle. The only sport that could be played at Johnson Hagood in a hurricane would be water polo.

Hopefully you can avoid evacuation traffic on your way home.

Daytripper
October 4th, 2016, 04:06 PM
xeyebrowx

It is an inside joke among Houstonians. Katy is a suburb west of Houston. It is about 60 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. Every time there is even a hint of a tropical system threatening that part of the coast, people who live in Katy flood the airways and message board asking if they should evacuate.

McNeese75
October 4th, 2016, 04:11 PM
It is an inside joke among Houstonians. Katy is a suburb west of Houston. It is about 60 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. Every time there is even a hint of a tropical system threatening that part of the coast, people who live in Katy flood the airways and message board asking if they should evacuate.

Gotcha, I am familiar with Katy but was not aware of their hurricane anxiety, xlolx
We who are 20-30 miles away as the crow flies start flapping our wings whenever something almost to Galveston abruptly turns north.

Mattymc727
October 4th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Sounds like the UNH Elon game has been moved to friday night at 7pm

walliver
October 4th, 2016, 05:37 PM
SCSU vs Bethune Cookman has been rescheduled for later this year.
The Citadel will travel to Tigerville to play North Greenville on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catamount man
October 4th, 2016, 07:09 PM
NG hosting The Citadel? wow!

Go Green
October 4th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Sounds like the UNH Elon game has been moved to friday night at 7pm

Good luck!

Dartmouth-Yale should be rainy, but I doubt any talk of cancelation/postponement.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2016, 07:25 PM
UNI and USD will play in a dome this weekend.:p

TheRevSFA
October 4th, 2016, 07:32 PM

no one outside of Houston gets this joke

TheRevSFA
October 4th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Gotcha, I am familiar with Katy but was not aware of their hurricane anxiety, xlolx
We who are 20-30 miles away as the crow flies start flapping our wings whenever something almost to Galveston abruptly turns north.

People from Katy were the key cause of the Rita traffic mayhem

ElCid
October 4th, 2016, 07:40 PM
NG hosting The Citadel? wow!

Hey we passed Tigerville about 8 hours ago on our way to Chucktown. Headed back to Brevard tomorrow at o'dark ugly to avoid the traffic. We will make the arduous trip down Caesars Head to watch the game on Thursday Night! Can you make the game Catamount man? Let me know. My wife said she would not miss the hurricane game!

ElCid
October 4th, 2016, 07:42 PM
SCSU vs Bethune Cookman has been rescheduled for later this year.
The Citadel will travel to Tigerville to play North Greenville on Thursday.

You up for a mini road trip? Let me know. My wife and I are going for certain.

walliver
October 4th, 2016, 07:46 PM
You up for a mini road trip? Let me know. My wife and I are going for certain.

It might be interesting. I don't have to work Thursday. We do have family from the low country evacuating and I may not be free then. I'll PM if I can make it.

ElCid
October 4th, 2016, 07:56 PM
It might be interesting. I don't have to work Thursday. We do have family from the low country evacuating and I may not be free then. I'll PM if I can make it.

Hey I'm bringing my mother in law home with us. I am going.:D

BullDog85
October 4th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I'll be there.

catamount man
October 4th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Hey we passed Tigerville about 8 hours ago on our way to Chucktown. Headed back to Brevard tomorrow at o'dark ugly to avoid the traffic. We will make the arduous trip down Caesars Head to watch the game on Thursday Night! Can you make the game Catamount man? Let me know. My wife said she would not miss the hurricane game!

Negative. I get off work at 7pm and work in Anderson. Nice little haul to T'ville from there. Will catch over the web. Have fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Negative. I get off work at 7pm and work in Anderson. Nice little haul to T'ville from there. Will catch over the web. Have fun.

RootinFerDukes
October 5th, 2016, 09:02 AM
We should form a running talley list of all postponements/cancellations.

FCS Football ‏@NCAA_FCS (https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/783667850632454148)
This Saturday's match-up between @SCStateAthletic (https://twitter.com/SCStateAthletic) & @BCUGridiron (https://twitter.com/BCUGridiron) has been postponed due to #HurricaneMatthew (https://twitter.com/hashtag/HurricaneMatthew?src=hash)http://on.ncaa.com/2dJHYhE (https://t.co/LxDM6NQzw8)

RootinFerDukes
October 5th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Thursday
Albany State at Charleston Southern RESCHEDULED FROM SATURDAY, THEN POSTPONED

Friday
New Hampshire at Elon 7pm RESCHEDULED FROM SATURDAY

Saturday
Bethune-Cookman at South Carolina State POSTPONED
The Citadel at North Greenville 2pm LOCATION CHANGED AND NORTH GREENVILLE WILL HOST GAME
Campbell at Jacksonville POSTPONED
Morgan State at Savannah State POSTPONED

NDSU_grad
October 5th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Is this because there's a lot of non-native Houstonians there? My neighbor's sister lives in Katy now (born and raised in Minot, ND), and I could understand being a little weary of weather you're not familiar with.

Daytripper
October 5th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Is this because there's a lot of non-native Houstonians there? My neighbor's sister lives in Katy now (born and raised in Minot, ND), and I could understand being a little weary of weather you're not familiar with.

Good point. You are likely correct, though I have never really thought of that as the reason.

kdinva
October 5th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Latest info on the storm that it may not hit the S. Carolina coast until Saturday, then make a sharp right turn......

RootinFerDukes
October 5th, 2016, 12:14 PM
The three SC games being affected I understand, but the Elon rescheduling looks a bit premature in hindsight. The storm will still be one state south in SC by roughly their game time on saturday. Rain might be all they get.

Schism55
October 5th, 2016, 12:24 PM
WTF is North Greenville? Is that an NAIA D5 school???

SU DOG
October 5th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Any ideas on the weather for the Furman - Samford Game in Greenville Saturday?

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2016, 12:33 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161005/e15cb8fbaafa904cadd627687409ce17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2016, 12:34 PM

DII I believe. Haley tweeted that because the game for moved to their field it helps the Citadels strength of schedule.....

FUBeAR
October 5th, 2016, 12:39 PM
I'm in Jacksonville, FL and just listened to FL's Governor's live news conferences. Video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk

Think I'm going to cancel my Client meetings tomorrow and head for N. Georgia...and on to Chattanooga.

From what I'm hearing & reading, either way, I'm looking at massive destruction, loss of life and property; a disaster of epic proportions. Or...maybe it'll just be a lot of wind.

Libertine
October 5th, 2016, 12:40 PM
NGU is D2 independent but they have a scheduling agreement with the Gulf South.

Younts Stadium isn't bad as D2 stadiums go. Purpose built for football, artificial surface and capacity of5K.
http://www.d2football.com/stadiums/northgreenville/t144/

walliver
October 5th, 2016, 12:57 PM

North Greenville used to be a junior college, but moved to 4 years a while back. They are D2 and will join the Gulf South Conference in 2 years. It was a fairly small Southern Baptist school. When Furman divorced the Southern Baptist Convention, all the money FU used to get went to North Greenville and Charleston Southern.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Charleston Southern is baby Furman?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GD6qtc2_AQA/maxresdefault.jpg

ElCid
October 5th, 2016, 02:10 PM
DII I believe. Haley tweeted that because the game for moved to their field it helps the Citadels strength of schedule.....

Younts Stadium isn't bad as D2 stadiums go. Purpose built for football, artificial surface and capacity of5K.

North Greenville used to be a junior college, but moved to 4 years a while back. They are D2 and will join the Gulf South Conference in 2 years. It was a fairly small Southern Baptist school. When Furman divorced the Southern Baptist Convention, all the money FU used to get went to North Greenville and Charleston Southern.

I'll be honest, I had never really known about them until we moved up here in the mountains and we pass by the school going to and fro Charleston. They look to be a pretty good DII school. Per Massey they are rated right between Houston Baptist and Marists, so it can't hurt SOS anymore than the HB game did for SHSUxlolx. The stadium does look pretty good. It may hurt our pocketbook a little, but I like than we didn't cancel outright. I like the boys staying fresh. Not sure why we scheduled them. Their HC is a Citadel grad so maybe that had something to do with it in addition to general scheduling issues.

walliver
October 5th, 2016, 03:14 PM
I'll be honest, I had never really known about them until we moved up here in the mountains and we pass by the school going to and fro Charleston. They look to be a pretty good DII school. Per Massey they are rated right between Houston Baptist and Marists, so it can't hurt SOS anymore than the HB game did for SHSUxlolx. The stadium does look pretty good. It may hurt our pocketbook a little, but I like than we didn't cancel outright. I like the boys staying fresh. Not sure why we scheduled them. Their HC is a Citadel grad so maybe that had something to do with it in addition to general scheduling issues.

It should be an easy win but I wouldn't overlook NG. We played them 2 years ago and probably should have lost. We fell behind for the first half or so. Fortunately, the almighty is Methodist so he sent a severe thunderstorm to delay the game an hour and allow us to regroup. We played them fairly closely after that, but were blessed with another thunderstorm which delayed action again and turned the field into a swamp which shut down their passing game. After that we pulled ahead, and, as the crusaders were trying to mount a comeback, the stadium lights automatically cut out at midnight. By that time, everybody was cold and wet and tired so they just went home.

Fortunately, our pass defense is much improved this year. Our defensive coordinator was brand new for that game and tried to run a defense without the personnel required to run his scheme.

ElCid
October 5th, 2016, 03:31 PM
It should be an easy win but I wouldn't overlook NG. We played them 2 years ago and probably should have lost. We fell behind for the first half or so. Fortunately, the almighty is Methodist so he sent a severe thunderstorm to delay the game an hour and allow us to regroup. We played them fairly closely after that, but were blessed with another thunderstorm which delayed action again and turned the field into a swamp which shut down their passing game. After that we pulled ahead, and, as the crusaders were trying to mount a comeback, the stadium lights automatically cut out at midnight. By that time, everybody was cold and wet and tired so they just went home.

Fortunately, our pass defense is much improved this year. Our defensive coordinator was brand new for that game and tried to run a defense without the personnel required to run his scheme.

Yeah, I remember that game now. The infamous lights issues. I forgot it was them. I sure hope we don't have a "moment" with them tomorrow night. What I fear is, the boys, somewhat distracted, on the road unexpectedly, maybe worrying about family, etc. might just kick back a little and expect their newspaper articles to win it for them. Hope our coaches are doing what they need to right now. Every team is susceptible to being lazy in certain situations. Hope we nip it in the bud and stomp them hard. I looked at some of the NG box scores and they are an offensive machine, running and passing.

walliver
October 5th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Back to the Hurricane:

Campbell at Jacksonville has been postponed ... 10 fans were inconvenienced by this.

ASU33
October 5th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Back to the Hurricane:

Campbell at Jacksonville has been postponed ... 10 fans were inconvenienced by this.

xlolx LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

catamount man
October 5th, 2016, 06:05 PM
No alcohol nor tobacco allowed during tailgating at N.Greenville just in case some Citadel fans were wondering. They even have signs telling you that you will be asked to leave the campus.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 5th, 2016, 06:17 PM
The three SC games being affected I understand, but the Elon rescheduling looks a bit premature in hindsight. The storm will still be one state south in SC by roughly their game time on saturday. Rain might be all they get.

Hindsight is 20-20. Had to make a decision on the data available and erring on the side of caution is the proper thing to do.

JSUSoutherner
October 5th, 2016, 07:40 PM
I'm in Jacksonville, FL and just listened to FL's Governor's live news conferences. Video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk

Think I'm going to cancel my Client meetings tomorrow and head for N. Georgia...and on to Chattanooga.

From what I'm hearing & reading, either way, I'm looking at massive destruction, loss of life and property; a disaster of epic proportions. Or...maybe it'll just be a lot of wind.
You've seen the rest of Monty Python right? That bunny is one serious MF.

BisonTru
October 5th, 2016, 07:43 PM
You've seen the rest of Monty Python right? That bunny is one serious MF.

Agreed. Jack Attack.

http://youtu.be/wCf0Hj34RUk

Schism55
October 5th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Agreed. Jack Attack.

http://youtu.be/wCf0Hj34RUk
That song never ceases to punish my ear drums.
He has to be the Black Eyed Peas songwriter, just repetitive garbage.

ngineer
October 5th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Latest forecast has Matthew turning out to sea around the SC/NC line so the northeast coast will be spared this weekend if this holds up. Good luck to y'all in the path from FL to NC.

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Good point. You are likely correct, though I have never really thought of that as the reason.

As a native midwesterner that really only has to deal with tornadoes every spring, I assume you're pretty darn safe if you're that far inland?

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2016, 09:55 PM
As a native midwesterner that really only has to deal with tornadoes every spring, I assume you're pretty darn safe if you're that far inland?

As a Midwesterner where a tornado hits a town with at best an hour or so warning one might happen, I always scratch my head at the people saying I can't believe this happened when they were talking about the hurricane for a week in advance.

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2016, 10:01 PM
As a Midwesterner where a tornado hits a town with at best an hour or so warning one might happen, I always scratch my head at the people saying I can't believe this happened when they were talking about the hurricane for a week in advance.

Well, yea, but we're used to that. Sirens going off, head for the cellar (or go out on the porch to see it...depending on how drunk you are).
But I agree:
tornado...maybe 60 minutes tops...most likely closer to 10-15 minutes.
earthquake...like...no practically zero time.
hurricane...days...maybe a week even to plan and prepare.

I was just curious what the safe distance was for a good-sized hurricane. Is Katy, TX safe enough, or are you guys down on the TX gulf coast hightailing it to Oklahoma?

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Well, yea, but we're used to that. Sirens going off, head for the cellar (or go out on the porch to see it...depending on how drunk you are).

If you don't stand on the porch and crack a beer to try to get a peek at that sucker you aren't from the Midwest, or a trailer park xlolx

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2016, 10:08 PM
If you don't stand on the porch and crack a beer to try to get a peek at that sucker you aren't from the Midwest, or a trailer park xlolx

I'm surrounded by trees, can't see crap from my house until the thing drops right down into the front yard. That hasn't happened yet, although one got within about 200 yards once. My in-laws had one hit their neighborhood, blew the garage door in at the house next door, completely flattened the house that was still being built right on the other side (both no more than 20 feet from their house)...but theirs....nothing...well...I think they lost a weather vane off their roof.

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 10:11 PM
We once had a tornado on a path for our house, but 10-15 mins away. We rounded up our prized possessions and on my last trip upstairs I noticed the storm had changed paths. Missed us. Talk about stressful.

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2016, 10:23 PM
We once had a tornado on a path for our house, but 10-15 mins away. We rounded up our prized possessions and on my last trip upstairs I noticed the storm had changed paths. Missed us. Talk about stressful.

Yea, that's no fun, especially when you're trying to wrangle a couple of kids.

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Yea, that's no fun, especially when you're trying to wrangle a couple of kids.

Luckily we were kid free back then.

PAllen
October 6th, 2016, 06:59 AM
I've had a tornado cut across the parking lot for our condo in Ocean City twice. Both times it took out the roof and walkway of the building right next to ours. I was there for the first one, it was night and it just seemed like a very strong wind until we went outside and saw the devastation. Luckily, the dumpster didn't land on my car (it landed on my brother's car who had shown up unannounced earlier in the day). It took a day for them to clear enough of the power lines and poles strewn everywhere for us to get out of our lot. The second one was caught on video by someone in a rental agency on the other side of the block.

ST_Lawson
October 6th, 2016, 08:51 AM

Not huge, but it looks nice.

BEAR
October 6th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Will any of these delayed games affect the votings/polls?

RootinFerDukes
October 6th, 2016, 09:38 AM
This is all according to ESPN.com. Please correct it if it's wrong.

Thursday
Albany State at Charleston Southern POSTPONED ACCORDING TO CSU, CANCELED ACCORDING TO ESPN.
The Citadel at North Greenville RESCHEDULED. GAME PLAYED AT NORTH GREENVILLE. The Citadel won 38-14.

Friday
New Hampshire at Elon 7pm RESCHEDULED

Saturday
Bethune-Cookman at South Carolina State POSTPONED TO 11/26/16
Campbell at Jacksonville POSTPONED
Morgan State at Savannah State POSTPONED

walliver
October 6th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Will any of these delayed games affect the votings/polls?

Unless The Citadel loses to NGU, these are all fairly unimportant games. Although I guess UNH-Elon might be of some significance.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 6th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Inland doesn't get the storm surge and the wind is usually not as strong as near the coast, but winds can still be hurricane strength quite a ways inland. The biggest danger inland tends to be the huge amount of rain that falls during the hurricane and its remnants. There are many examples of terrible floods inland caused by the remnants of a hurricane. With Irene in 2011 there were horrific floods in upstate NY as well as in VT and NH all caused by the incredible rainfall in the remnants of the storm.

The second highest recorded water level of the CT River in Hartford was during a hurricane in 1938. The entire downtown area of Hartford flooded because so much rain fell over New England. (The source of the CT River is near the Canadian border in NH.) Because the highest level occurred in 1936 (spring rains and snow melting), a dike (levee) system was built in the early 40's which has not been topped. Rain from remnants of 1955 hurricanes caused the third highest level on the CT River and catastrophic floods elsewhere in CT. (See the attached picture to see markers for these three floods. The lowest marker is the average Spring flood height.) In 1955 benign little rivers became raging torrents that ripped out the pavement and their road beds exposing the utility pipes for entire streets. There is an old railroad bridge now used by a bike path over the Farmington River (40-50 feet below) that articles in the local newspaper told of people in boats having to duck their heads going under the bridge! Ridiculous amounts of rain are often associated with these storms.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23665&stc=1

Pinnum
October 6th, 2016, 10:48 AM
While I lived there, the CT River always seemed to flood around Hartford. I swear the Riverside Park near the 84/91 junction spends all spring underwater.

Thumper 76
October 6th, 2016, 12:21 PM
I'm surrounded by trees, can't see crap from my house until the thing drops right down into the front yard. That hasn't happened yet, although one got within about 200 yards once. My in-laws had one hit their neighborhood, blew the garage door in at the house next door, completely flattened the house that was still being built right on the other side (both no more than 20 feet from their house)...but theirs....nothing...well...I think they lost a weather vane off their roof.

I've lived in the Dakotas so long I forget you can't see these things from miles away. Watched one go across about 8 miles away from my deck with a buddy once. Was crazy.

melloware13
October 6th, 2016, 01:02 PM
The 1955 flooding was an aftermath of 2 storms within 2 weeks (Connie and Diane). That flooding killed about 75 in my town and created 20 ft cliffs while washing out every bridge. Now we have levees that (from anything I've experienced) seem excessively high. Combining the distance from the coast (75 miles) and elevation (400+ ft), it's not like I live in a low lying coastal town.

Worst I personally remember was Floyd, all non-leveed creeks were up to the floodplains, and trees were down all over.

bluehenbillk
October 6th, 2016, 02:55 PM
LSU & Florida now postponed/cancelled for Saturday. Questionable if it will get made up later in season.

Laker
October 6th, 2016, 04:42 PM
LSU & Florida now postponed/cancelled for Saturday. Questionable if it will get made up later in season.

I saw a good idea- one school is supposed to play Presbyterian and the other South Alabama on Nov 19th. The suggestion was to pay off both teams, have them play in Mobile with the money to go to hurricane relief while LSU plays Florida.

I also saw something about how Butch Jones is insisting that the game be played. I think that they can worry about that after the hurricane is gone.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/butch-jones-wants-postponed-florida-lsu-game-rescheduled/

RootinFerDukes
October 6th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Why can't it just be moved to Sunday or Monday? I know turnout would suck but it's going to no matter what you do.

Gangtackle11
October 6th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Why can't it just be moved to Sunday or Monday? I know turnout would suck but it's going to no matter what you do.

Governor is saying major power outages throughout the state.

CHIP72
October 6th, 2016, 06:37 PM

You have seen the projected loop hurricane path, right?

CHIP72
October 6th, 2016, 07:04 PM

Depends on a hurricane's specific storm track. With most hurricanes, the most damage comes from rain flooding, especially if the storm is slow-moving. Do a search on "Hurricane Agnes" if you want to find out about the terrible impacts of a weakened hurricane stalling out.

In I think 2003, Tropical Storm Allison, which never even reached hurricane status, devastated much of the Houston area because it parked itself over southeast Texas. That region is particularly prone to flooding because it is often moist (thunderstorms on many summer afternoons) and very flat, meaning the water has nowhere to drain.

kdinva
October 6th, 2016, 07:29 PM
This is all according to ESPN.com. Please correct it if it's wrong.

Saturday
Bethune-Cookman at South Carolina State POSTPONED

saw on fbschedules.com the SCSt.- BCC game moved to Nov. 26th..

https://twitter.com/RickHenry10

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Speaking of tornados. A radar indicated tornado just missed my house as I was getting ready for bed. It cut right through a pretty large metro area. Of it was actually a tornado of even the smallest size it caused a lot of damage.

Go...gate
October 6th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Depends on a hurricane's specific storm track. With most hurricanes, the most damage comes from rain flooding, especially if the storm is slow-moving. Do a search on "Hurricane Agnes" if you want to find out about the terrible impacts of a weakened hurricane stalling out.

In I think 2003, Tropical Storm Allison, which never even reached hurricane status, devastated much of the Houston area because it parked itself over southeast Texas. That region is particularly prone to flooding because it is often moist (thunderstorms on many summer afternoons) and very flat, meaning the water has nowhere to drain.

Agnes wiped out a good section of NJ and NE PA in 1972. Horrible casualties and damage.

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2016, 11:35 PM
Speaking of tornados. A radar indicated tornado just missed my house as I was getting ready for bed. It cut right through a pretty large metro area. Of it was actually a tornado of even the smallest size it caused a lot of damage.

Over 16000 reported without power here in Davenport, Iowa.

RootinFerDukes
October 7th, 2016, 07:16 AM
You have seen the projected loop hurricane path, right?

If it looped back around, it wouldn't be until Wednesday, I think I saw. I understand the power issue, but if there's power in the Gainesville area, more mid-florida, isn't that all that matters? I just say tentatively move it to say monday and you can always change it again if it doesn't look good.

CHIP72
October 7th, 2016, 08:56 AM
If it looped back around, it wouldn't be until Wednesday, I think I saw. I understand the power issue, but if there's power in the Gainesville area, more mid-florida, isn't that all that matters? I just say tentatively move it to say monday and you can always change it again if it doesn't look good.

What about the fans who would live in more impacted areas and the emergency response personnel (which includes law enforcement) who would dealing with post-hurricane issues a little more important than a college football game?

Before you say anything about the Florida State/Miami game, neither of those areas (especially Tallahassee) will probably be impacted as much as the Gainesville area will be.

RootinFerDukes
October 7th, 2016, 09:03 AM
What about the fans who would live in more impacted areas and the emergency response personnel (which includes law enforcement) who would dealing with post-hurricane issues a little more important than a college football game?

Before you say anything about the Florida State/Miami game, neither of those areas (especially Tallahassee) will probably be impacted as much as the Gainesville area will be.

So if every last soul in the state of florida couldn't make it, it must be not played at any point once it's calmed down? I understand if gainesville area police and emergency professionals are so overwhelmed that they can't even get enough to show up to properly staff the game or the area is devastated, but what would it hurt to have a contingency plan. I'm assuming they have one.
Gainesville is in the middle of the state and the center of the hurricane is skimming up along the coastline in a mainly north-south direction. Even looking at their forecast currently, it's light rain and they're in a tropical storm warning. The hurricane is roughly to the east of them currently.

RootinFerDukes
October 7th, 2016, 10:24 AM
saw on fbschedules.com the SCSt.- BCC game moved to Nov. 26th..

https://twitter.com/RickHenry10

Morgan State at Savannah State has been rescheduled to 11/26/16 also.

BEAR
October 7th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Apparently a Fox news reporter said this hurricane will kill you, your friends and your children....

So hide the kids, hide your wife...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Over 16000 reported without power here in Davenport, Iowa.

sorry to hear about that 82 but see the nobody cares thread ... 3.5 million without power with not a tear shed

Thumper 76
October 8th, 2016, 09:44 AM
sorry to hear about that 82 but see the nobody cares thread ... 3.5 million without power with not a tear shed

I dunno what you expect people on a message board to do about it? Obviously you had power to your home to be able to post throughout it. And had plenty of time to post on here a lot, so I'll ask what did YOU do to show you care besides mindlessly bitch on a message board? Were you out volunteering to help those who needed it? Just curious.

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I dunno what you expect people on a message board to do about it? Obviously you had power to your home to be able to post throughout it. And had plenty of time to post on here a lot, so I'll ask what did YOU do to show you care besides mindlessly bitch on a message board? Were you out volunteering to help those who needed it? Just curious.

people on message board to do about it? nothing

not bitching at all, really just reporting, sorry if it seems like bitching but ..haha... no not at all

what did I do about it? I wasn't home thank goodness

help people out? I've been pretty busy with that over the past 34 years

the only reason Ive been reporting on it is the US Tax payer is paying for it all, so if your a tax payer.....

things always aren't how the seem on a message board

wise up

fc97
October 8th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Wind has been kicking like crazy in central nc all day, think it was smart that they moved it, plus it let UNH fly out without delays.....

walliver
October 8th, 2016, 10:32 PM

Do they play FCS football in PR? If not, why do they need power?

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Do they play FCS football in PR? If not, why do they need power?

good question... they need power so the US doesn't have to invest more of your tax dollars to keep the power on

superman7515
October 10th, 2016, 05:37 PM
North Carolina A&T @ Bethune-Cookman was originally scheduled to be played at Bethune-Cookman in Daytona Beach on Saturday, but due to Hurricane Matthew, more than 75,000 homes & businesses are still without power, and the game has been moved to Saturday in Greensboro.

ElCid
October 11th, 2016, 10:44 PM
From Bulldogs coach Brent Thompson on Tuesday.

Opening Statement: "Good afternoon. I would like to first thank all the schools and Lookup Lodge for accommodating us this past weekend, Furman allowed us to train in their facility and use their equipment facility on Friday which we greatly appreciated. Presbyterian College allowed us to use their dining facility on our way up there and then of course Lookup Lodge did a wonderful job of hosting us so I really wanted to thank all of those different schools and different entities for helping us out in our time of need. I was proud of the way the team handled the situation, it was a difficult situation for us to be in. We had a team meeting and discussed all of our different options and what the different options were going to be and it was a fairly quick decision. I thought we made it in about a matter of 15 or 20 minutes, we had thought about all the different possibilities and in hindsight it was probably the best thing for The Citadel, The Citadel football and for our players which was obviously our number one concern going in. This hurricane was a lot bigger than our football program. I know it affected a lot of the communities along the coast here but we were very, very fortunate here at The Citadel to turn out, for the most part, unscathed. Johnson Hagood is in great shape here and the campus community has done a great job of cleaning up what we've got left so I think for the most part we ended up better than most.

To Furman and Presbyterian xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

CID1990
October 12th, 2016, 06:22 AM
From Bulldogs coach Brent Thompson on Tuesday.

Opening Statement: "Good afternoon. I would like to first thank all the schools and Lookup Lodge for accommodating us this past weekend, Furman allowed us to train in their facility and use their equipment facility on Friday which we greatly appreciated. Presbyterian College allowed us to use their dining facility on our way up there and then of course Lookup Lodge did a wonderful job of hosting us so I really wanted to thank all of those different schools and different entities for helping us out in our time of need. I was proud of the way the team handled the situation, it was a difficult situation for us to be in. We had a team meeting and discussed all of our different options and what the different options were going to be and it was a fairly quick decision. I thought we made it in about a matter of 15 or 20 minutes, we had thought about all the different possibilities and in hindsight it was probably the best thing for The Citadel, The Citadel football and for our players which was obviously our number one concern going in. This hurricane was a lot bigger than our football program. I know it affected a lot of the communities along the coast here but we were very, very fortunate here at The Citadel to turn out, for the most part, unscathed. Johnson Hagood is in great shape here and the campus community has done a great job of cleaning up what we've got left so I think for the most part we ended up better than most.

To Furman and Presbyterian xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

Furman doesn't suck this week only.

If we beat Chatty then they don't suck until the season is over

citdog
October 12th, 2016, 11:14 AM
One of the last encampments of the SCCC in 1865 before the disbursement, there never was a surrender, was where furman now stands. History is full of irony! I agree that furman sucks less today than it did two weeks ago.