PDA

View Full Version : Former College Athletes...Question???

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2016, 12:12 PM
As someone that understands what it took to actually participate in athletics and academics....would you allow your child to participate in College athletics? Why or Why not? Also in your comments, include your sport (I know most here will be FB), and what level (D1, D2, Pro, etc). Thanks forhelping, I'm doing a little project.

TTUEagles
October 4th, 2016, 12:29 PM
(Then) 1-AA football. Absolutely I would let them participate. Harder than most think it is from a time/work/stress standpoint, but it's something I look back with fond memories, very proud, etc. It's a cliche' but it's true, you learn a lot, a lot about what you can 'withstand,' managing your time, work ethic & determination (every year, there is someone there wanting to take your job/position)...

BearDownMU
October 4th, 2016, 12:33 PM
D1 Baseball here. I absolutely would, particularly if there was financial incentive (scholarship). Lol.

I do think it depends on the kid, tho. Depending on what school you go to, you will get a different level of academic pressure, and you obviously have to make sure the student athlete is capable of balancing the absurd requirements of your sport and the academic workload.

That being said, at most places, the student athlete generally has access to resources out the wazoo (academic advisers, tutors, etc.) to give them every chance to succeed on the field and in the classroom.

But, like everything, maturity matters.

Daytripper
October 4th, 2016, 12:40 PM
I am not an athlete, but I taught freshmen and sophomore college athletes at an FCS school. They were some of my best students. I don't mean they were the smartest, but they tried and were very conscientious about making sure they stayed eligible. I think the stereotype of college athletes not taking classes and cheating their way through school may apply to the P5 schools and the G5 to a lesser extent. But I think it is rare at levels lower than that. Student-athletes just have to work harder than the average student.

MacThor
October 4th, 2016, 01:25 PM
1-AA Football.

Absolutely yes. Not only would I allow it, I'd encourage it.

Football's probably not in the cards for my daughter, though. She's got her eye on swim & dive.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2016, 01:30 PM
maturity matters.

I'm out

ngineer
October 4th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Absolutely. To be a success in anything one needs to have a passion for what they are doing. Intercollegiate athletics is not a "casual" thing to do . It take a tremendous amount of dedication and time. It teaches discipline with time management skills. When I check out my opponent in any new case I enter ( i am a lawyer) and I see they were a college athlete at a school with demanding academics, it tells me a lot about his or her make up from a mental standpoint. They are competitive, organized, and have a "team" concept about they way they approach matters.

UNIFanSince1983
October 4th, 2016, 01:40 PM
I would absolutely allow them. Actually I would probably encourage it. I think it helps with discipline and planning. You have to plan out your time and manage time much better than an average student. I was D3 football and track and field.

nevadagriz
October 4th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I have two daughters in college and though they don't play sports they wish they did. The scholarship money and resources like tutors and meal plans are worth it. Both my daughters have been RA's and worked jobs to have food and housing. Athletes work their asses off and have to have great time management to be make it through school but, so do most of the student population. Unless mom and dad can pay for everything most students have very little free time athlete or not. When my son is ready for school I will encourage him to take any offer that comes his way no matter how small the school. (if that is what he wants to do)

- - - Updated - - -

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2016, 01:47 PM
As someone that understands what it took to actually participate in athletics and academics....
would you allow your child to participate in College athletics?
Why or Why not?
Also in your comments, include your sport (I know most here will be FB), and what level (D1, D2, Pro, etc)

Let him/her Play: Yes, I did - Son, D1 Football
Many reasons for him:financial benefits, including potential to turn pro or go into Coaching; build lifetime relationships with teammates, enjoyment of competition, learning discipline, how to outwork the competition, great education, overcoming adversity, jeez, I could go on and on...gain poise, building career networking relationships, groupies (ooops....I didn't mean to type that xsmiley_wix), travel, opportunities to give back to their communities/volunteerism
Reason for me:TONS OF FUN - MET GREAT FAMILIES/KIDS, Tailgating & Travel, etc.
Me: D1 Football

ASU33
October 4th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Absolutely! Football provided me not only with the ability to go to school and get a degree debt free but it help set me up for a nice career after school/football. The lessons that I've learned while playing are things that I still apply to my life today.

Bisonoline
October 4th, 2016, 03:58 PM
As someone that understands what it took to actually participate in athletics and academics....would you allow your child to participate in College athletics? Why or Why not? Also in your comments, include your sport (I know most here will be FB), and what level (D1, D2, Pro, etc). Thanks forhelping, I'm doing a little project.

Of course I would want them to participate. My sport was football. But any sport would be good.Why? Because sports teaches you many of life lessons. Its teaches you responsibility, accountability, teamwork, selflessness , perseverance, hardwork. How to be gracious and humble. How to manage your time etc etc etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely! Football provided me not only with the ability to go to school and get a degree debt free but it help set me up for a nice career after school/football. The lessons that I've learned while playing are things that I still apply to my life today.

xnodx

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Athletics - Yes, great.
Football - No or strongly discouraged. The brain and quality of life has suffered as a result of playing.

A lineman friend who played next to me at Lehigh passed last year. His brain was analyzed post mortem and he had signs of CTE.

When its all said and done, football is a great sport and I loved playing, but the toll it can extract isn't worth it imo.

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Of course I would want them to participate. My sport was football. But any sport would be good.Why? Because sports teaches you many of life lessons. Its teaches you responsibility, accountability, teamwork, selflessness , perseverance, hardwork. How to be gracious and humble. How to manage your time etc etc etc.

- - - Updated - - -

xnodx

might want to inquire about a refund for that class

Laker
October 4th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Jr. College football. Yes, certainly. Gave you a group to bond with. Made you walk with your head up. Taught you to balance your time. Taught me discipline both on and off the field- carried over to the classroom. Plus it got the thought out of my system and I could move on when I was done playing. I've met too many people who wondered about how things might have been instead of how it really was. As they get older, they imagine their talent and toughness to increase even more than their weight.

Pinnum
October 4th, 2016, 07:48 PM
I would only allow them to go to a program that I vetted first. The biggest issue is travel and time away from academics. Conferences like the Patriot League are a no-brainer. They take care of their athletes (even in basketball). However, SWAC would be out of the cards for a sport like basketball since they fly all over the country just trying to make their budget.

As for football, Saturday games would be a must. Thursday games would make me have some reservations.

Basically, it depends on the program and the coach; a kid can go pro from any conference or division.

spdram
October 4th, 2016, 09:08 PM
If the school adhered to the concept of a student-athlete, (encourages, supports, and demands their athletes be students first) I would support and encourage my child to be a college athlete. I played most every sport at one time or another, but was a D-1 track and cross country athlete. I feel my education was demanding and stellar, but my time as a D-1 athlete was equally beneficial. The lessons of organization, dedication, effort, industry, team work, and competition were highly beneficial. I am an attorney, I meet other attorneys and business persons nearly daily, I have seen a strong correlation between success in their chosen field and participation in college athletics.

October 4th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Good thread but do not forget that there are other extra activities at college that require commitment and a great deal of time, couple of examples are marching band and theater productions.

JSUSoutherner
October 5th, 2016, 01:34 AM
Good thread but do not forget that there are other extra activities at college that require commitment and a great deal of time, couple of examples are marching band and theater productions.
Yes.

chattanoogamocs
October 5th, 2016, 02:37 AM
I ran cross country and track (on an academic scholarship) and left the program after signing a development contract as a professional triathlete. My career highlight was beating Lance Armstrong when he was 17 and I was 19 as an amateur. It might sound impressive, but it really wasn't. It was the late 80's, early 90's and there was very little money in it and not much elite level competition (travel/expenses, stipends for teaching classes on race weekends, seminars, etc). Using a baseball analogy, I was a AA level pro. I injured my hip and I was done by the time I was 22 (still hurts 25 years later)

Growing up my parents made me basically try everything with the deal that after one year, if I didn't like it, I could quit. So I played football, baseball, soccer, wrestling, track and cross country. In college I briefly tried rugby. I am a firm believer in not specializing in sport.

I have a young son, I encourage him to be active and play sports. I have the same basic philosophy as my parents. But, his mother and I are also concert trained violinists and I would be just as happy if he wanted to go into music as sport, with the understanding that exercise is a life long endeavor.

I will support my son no matter what sport he chooses and I if he wants to try and work hard enough to obtain an athletics scholarship, I will do everything in my power to help him succeed, no matter the cost of the time involved. But, I will never force anything on him, I have no need to live vicariously through him.

Of course, if he ended up being an All-American long distance runner, while doubling as a field goal kicker for the Mocs and then playing violin for the Avett Brothers after college, I would be cool with that. ;)

Milktruck74
October 5th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I have posed this question to many different groups and have gotten some unique responses. Mostly, I have found that Student Athletes would encourage their children to participate in athletics, mainly based on the time mgt, life skills, life lessons mentioned above. Those that say they would not encourage their brood to participate tend to be from a FB background and at higher levels (D1 vs D2/D3/Juco). I'm speculating, (which is a no no in research, but this is not a scientific poll) but I think it has more to do with lifelong injuries more than the actual commitment. I also think as you climb the ladder in levels, you tend to lose more and more of the "regular college" experience. Meaning, a SA at Hampton Sydney College is going to experience college much the same as a regular student, a kid at an SEC program is not.

Th commitment level for athletics far outweighs that of other college activities. Yes there is a 20 hour practice week, but that doesn't include non-mandatory (yeah right) meetings, lifting, treatment/training, study hall, etc....I easily spent 40-45 hours doing "football" stuff each week that regular students didn't do. And that number is usually directly proportional to the level at which you participate.

i have 4 kids, I think it would be great for them to participate in athletics, but I also think it is important as a responsible parent (yeah right) to explain all the pros and the cons.

blackbeard
October 5th, 2016, 09:09 AM
I have supported and encouraged my children to participate in HS and College athletics if they had a desire to do so. I didn't want them to look back 10 years later and say "I could have done ...". 3 children out of HS, one still playing HS sports.

One son played FCS Football and had a great experience. Lived 4 years in a part of the country he never would have otherwise. Met many close friends and contacts that are already helping him as he is now coaching HS football at one of the top programs in the country. The connections in the coaching circles are amazing - its easy to quickly build a huge network of contacts. The time commitment was significant, especially in the Fall. The school had great academic support for student athletes through mandatory study halls, tutors as needed, etc. He enjoyed the "college experience" and he and his teammates didn't miss out on much going on around campus. Had a few injuries along the way that caused him to misss a couple of games two of his four years but nothing serious, still a few aches and pains from the years of pounding though.

Daughter runs D1 Track at a school that she probably could not have gotten into without athletics. She earned a full ride to an amazing school and can already see the doors that are being opened for her personally and professionally. She had offers from several top universities in the country if she had been able to get some test scores a little higher, but at marks that were still far below normal entrance marks. Without Track these opportunities would not have existed. The time commitment for her is significant but not oppressive, still plenty of time to have lots of fun. Her school also has great academic support for athletes with required study halls, etc. which really helped her with the transition. She's making good grades and on schedule to graduate. She has some injuries from time to time but they are more related to her sport in general vs being a college athlete. She gets great medical care and training room support through her school.

I would do it again and they would as well. If my youngest wants to give it a shot I'll in football or baseball I'll encourage and help him get there. He's already doing the things necessary to get an opportunity but if he just wants to go to college and be a student that will be more than fine also. There is a lot more academic scholarship money available for kids and its much easier to go this route if possible. Less work load in college, less physical toll on the body, etc.

flyrod
October 5th, 2016, 09:19 AM

+1

My daughter is a Cheerleader, and no not just one of those that cheers only the sideline, she is a competitive cheerleader, and a 3 Time NCA (Natl Cheer Assn) All American and been on the JMU team Competing at Nationals in Daytona for the last 4 years. Talk about commitment and time and training....They do lifting, train in stunts and tumbling spending hours in the gym. In HS she was a competitive gymnast along with cheer. The commitment is real and as much as if not more than the Spotlight sports like FB and BB. I know JMU treats them also as student athletes however they dont get all the benefits as the spotlight sports. Most Collegiate sports teach you many of life lessons. as stated previously" it teaches you responsibility, accountability, teamwork, selflessness , perseverance, hardwork. How to be gracious and humble. How to manage your time" and how to accept failures and successes which we all face in life's journey.

Sycamore62
October 5th, 2016, 10:36 AM
id just encourage my daughters to do what they want. I dont think I would push anything that didnt have some sort of financial incentive. since I dont have any boys me saying Id let them play football doesnt really mean that much. If my girls wanted to play football the answer is no. It seems like the value of a full scholarship is quite a bit more now as opposed to the mid 90s when I played. I dont think a job that payed as much as a scholarship would require much less time.

Bisonator
October 5th, 2016, 11:39 AM
might want to inquire about a refund for that class
https://theartoftoadkissing.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/kettlecallingpotblack.jpg

Bisonoline
October 5th, 2016, 08:10 PM
https://theartoftoadkissing.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/kettlecallingpotblack.jpg

Hes just trolling like usual. Its his MO to crap on a good thread when he has nothing worthy to offer.

spdram
October 5th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Not quite on point, but similar theme. A good friend's son was AA football at a D-1 program, rose from a walk-on. He was invited to NFL Combines, and the son told my friend he did not want to accept. My friend, knowing of my love of sports and sports background, asked me to "try to convince" him to accept and try out at the Combines. I told my friend I would not "try to convince" him, but I would speak with him. I asked about his experiences and why he not want to go to the Combines, to which he responded. Personally I thought his reason was more exhaustion than a dislike, etc. However the basis of my discussion was, if he was certain that later in life, he could look in the mirror and be certain he would not regret the decision, that is what he should do -- but keep in mind this would be his only opportunity to go to Combines.

Green26
October 5th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Played D-I football (4 years) and D-1 Lacrosse (1 year).

Have 3 kids who played, or could have played, D-I sports in college. It was their decision. However, my advice was not to play D-I. Too demanding. Too much time. Basically a job. Would severely impact or ruin non-athletic part of college experience.

One son invited to walk-on in football at an FCS school. We knew he would be more of a practice player. He played rugby instead. Became a terrific player. Never attended a single football game at his school. Enlisted in the army after college, became a Ranger, deployed to Iraq twice, headed a sniper unit and was a door to door guy (think American Sniper), got a big hole in him on his first trip, went to law school when he was done, is now a lawyer. Great kid. Very tough.

One daughter was a very good athlete. Didn't want to play sports in college, and would not necessarily have gotten an opportunity. Opted for rugby at a D-! school. The program is varsity now. Co-captain of her team. Still plays. Invited to the US Eagle training camp, more as an opposition player as opposed to a candidate for the world cup team. Still a nice honor. Will finish law school next spring and join large NYC law firm (starting salaries are now $180,000). Will probably keep playing rugby. She is fast and a hitter. And very pretty. She and I attended the Hong Kong Rugby 7's tourney twice.

One son playing football at a D-III. He wanted to walk-on at a D-I and had the opportunity. I discouraged him and took him to visit multiple D-III's. More chance to play sooner; less time commitment; more opportunity to participate in and enjoy college. More fun. It's working out well.

Getting an athletic scholarship was not something we needed.

I love sports and college sports, but don't like what modern day sports have become. Too year round. Too professional. Too much influence from money. Not as many people playing for the love of the game. D-III is closer to what college sports used to be, and should be, in my view. Ivy is a nice option, but has also gotten relatively demanding and time-consuming.

caribbeanhen
October 6th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Hes just trolling like usual. Its his MO to crap on a good thread when he has nothing worthy to offer.

you know it's not trolling, it's actually all for you as someday you will go before the judge, I want you to be ready!

eiu1999
October 6th, 2016, 04:38 PM
I played basketball and baseball in HS, wife did soccer and gymnastics in HS, soccer in college.

I'd say that you have to let the kids want to do it. I'd support them, but never push them just because it's what I want. I'm sure we all know people who are still living through their kids in sports.

semobison
October 6th, 2016, 08:01 PM
I played Juco basketball and ran T&F. Football was the game that I loved but after HS I had had enough. I was fast but lean and took a beating. I have two granddaughters who play fast pitch softball and want to play for Arizona State! That would be great. I love that game!

Bisonoline
October 6th, 2016, 08:49 PM
you know it's not trolling, it's actually all for you as someday you will go before the judge, I want you to be ready!

Youre just being an azz which is the same as trolling. You need to look at your own behavior before you try and critique others.

With that being said------

Look and read the title of the thread. Does this pertain to you? No. You can now be on your way as you have nothing to offer.

KPSUL
October 7th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Absolutely I've strongly encouraged my daughter to compete in the sports she's drawn to at college level and beyond. It develops self-confidence, a sense of discipline and a more realistic understanding of what it actually takes to be truly competitive at anything. I played college soccer a long time ago, I really have no idea what "level", we played teams that now range from from Div 1 to Div 3. I've never been much of a soccer fan, enjoy football and baseball much more as a spectator.

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Youre just being an azz which is the same as trolling. You need to look at your own behavior before you try and critique others.

With that being said------

Look and read the title of the thread. Does this pertain to you? No. You can now be on your way as you have nothing to offer.

you say it but why don't you practice it yourself?