PDA

View Full Version : FCS on Dan Patrick Show

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2016, 09:32 AM
I just got in the car and turned on the radio and heard them talking about the Lehigh Yale game. Then they turned around and talked about Brady Gustafson from Montana and said they thought that he would be a second-round draft pick this year. They said that he was the next Carson Wentz.

Not sure about some of their opinions, but it was interesting to hear a national sports radio show mention a couple FCS games.

Bucs2016
October 3rd, 2016, 09:38 AM
It's awesome our level is finally getting a little respect. It's always been really good football. Casual fans just never respected it because we aren't elite top 25 FBS caliber. There's like 1000+ colleges in America that play football. 330ish play D1. Everyone forgets that FCS is part of that.

Daytripper
October 3rd, 2016, 09:40 AM
It's awesome our level is finally getting a little respect. It's always been really good football. Casual fans just never respected it because we aren't elite top 25 FBS caliber. There's like 1000+ colleges in America that play football. 330ish play D1. Everyone forgets that FCS is part of that.

The Wentz effect.....

putter
October 3rd, 2016, 09:41 AM
Brady is no where near Wentz. Not as bulky as Wentz was but is 6' 7" and has a good arm but I don't think he could take the punishment an NFL QB will take. Glad to hear they are talking about him thought, good FCS press

Daytripper
October 3rd, 2016, 10:07 AM
Brady is no where near Wentz. Not as bulky as Wentz was but is 6' 7" and has a good arm but I don't think he could take the punishment an NFL QB will take. Glad to hear they are talking about him thought, good FCS press

If Wentz was on the bench or not playing well, there would be no discussion of FCS quarterbacks in the national media. The fact that he is having success will open some minds and put more eyeballs on FCS teams and players....that is a good thing. They are all going to be looking for the next FCS diamond.

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2016, 10:38 AM

I'm guessing they meant the next FCS QB drafted who was under the radar, but hard to say.

Silenoz
October 3rd, 2016, 12:19 PM
2nd round? What are people smoking?

Not to throw him under the bus or anything as I think Brady is in an offense that asks a ton of its QB, hence a lot of the struggles. But he also has a pretty stellar receiving corps that is responsible for a lot of the numbers we've put up.

We'll see where he's at at the end of the year but I'm thinking maybe round 6-7 depending on how he does in a senior bowl or combine, if he gets invited to something.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 3rd, 2016, 12:32 PM
His size will get him drafted 2-3 rounds before he should IMO.....great arm..can make all the throws...very smart also.....I wouldnt put him with Wentz tho

Maybe if he goes on a terror and wins the chipper

BisonTru
October 3rd, 2016, 12:46 PM
His size will get him drafted 2-3 rounds before he should IMO.....great arm..can make all the throws...very smart also.....I wouldnt put him with Wentz tho

What about Jake Coker? Big, tall, won a national championship with Alabama. On top of that Coker ran a pro similar offense. People get too hung up on ideal measurements. It's definitely a plus to have them, but there's so much more that goes into a QB. I don't see Brady getting drafted. Possibly late depending on how well he does in the pre draft process which for him will be one of the all star bowls because I'd be shocked to see him blow up at the combine.

I've said it before, but I think the next FCS high draft pick at QB (top 4 rounds is my definition here) will be Kyle Lauletta, and he won't come out (hopefully) until '18. I just don't see much from this division at that position this year. Eli Jenkins is the other interesting prospect, but if you limit the read option and put him in more pro style situations I'm concerned how he will look. In my amateur opinion I'd put both Jenkins and Gustafson in the 7th to FA category.

BEAR
October 3rd, 2016, 12:52 PM
Radio guys in our state have no idea where Wentz went. "one of the northern schools I think. Dakotas maybe? I think he should have transferred after his freshman year and not wasted his talent at the division II level". Sigh. xlolx

Bisonator
October 3rd, 2016, 01:03 PM
Who is the Griz QB coach? Gustafson's footwork and mechanics need work IMO. Just going off what little I've seen of him in the 2 games against NDSU last year. Does he call plays in a huddle? Work under center much? Adjust protections at the line and audible much? Stitt's offense probably isn't going to do him any favors at the NFL level. Not saying he can't do all of these things but it's not an easy transition as most spread QB's find out.

Silenoz
October 3rd, 2016, 01:06 PM
We don't huddle and he doesn't go under center (other than the QB dive fail we tried against UNI)

But yes he is making calls at the line. Or at least, deciding which way the play is going to go

I'd also say the offense has evolved past what NDSU saw in its two games, into a truer "Stitt" offense

clenz
October 3rd, 2016, 01:08 PM
FCS gets talked about almost daily on the Dan Patrick show.

Paul Pabst went to SIU
McLovin went to Dartmouth

Usually a few FCS mentions a week in some capacity

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2016, 01:11 PM

Paul Pabst went to SIU

That's cool. I don't normally get to listen more than 10 minutes.

clenz
October 3rd, 2016, 01:14 PM
That's cool. I don't normally get to listen more than 10 minutes.
I used to listen to every show. I got tired of the national perspective since the teams I follow get about 0 seconds of national talk (Vikings, Twins, T'wolves, Wild....noticing a trend?). So I started listening to Minneapolis sports radio.

Love the DP show though and catch what I can when I can.

AAMAF Paul lists his favorite teams in all of sports as Favorite Teams: Chicago Cubs, Liverpool FC, Yale football on the DP website.

Paul also teaches at Sacred Heart and goes to 3 or 4 of their games a year and posts photos on twitter/instagram.

Franks Tanks
October 3rd, 2016, 01:59 PM

Paul Pabst went to SIU

Dan Patrick is a Dayton grad.

AmsterBison
October 3rd, 2016, 02:03 PM
The Wentz effect.....

Not to mention Jimmy Garoppolo and Tony Romo (the Eastern Illinois effect.)

clenz
October 3rd, 2016, 02:04 PM
Not to mention Jimmy Garoppolo and Tony Romo (the Eastern Illinois effect.)
Or David Johnson or any of the dozens of FCS players playing every week.

Nope...All Carson Wentz

blackbeard
October 3rd, 2016, 04:08 PM
Paul Pabst is also an instructor in Sports Communication and Media at SHU and frequently sports SHU swag on the show. He has also interviewed SHU coaches and players on the show on more than one occasion.

BisonFan02
October 3rd, 2016, 08:28 PM
Or David Johnson or any of the dozens of FCS players playing every week.

Nope...All Carson Wentz

FFS......one is a #2 overall pick playing the QB position in Philadelphia....media market and position driven.

Katfan
October 3rd, 2016, 08:40 PM
FFS......one is a #2 overall pick playing the QB position in Philadelphia....media market and position driven.
And plus he got a lot of attention in the draft

BisonFan02
October 3rd, 2016, 08:50 PM
And plus he got a lot of attention in the draft

As he should have......not a real surprise in a QB driven league.

caribbeanhen
October 3rd, 2016, 09:49 PM

since when did Wentz play at a FCS school? xcoffeex

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 3rd, 2016, 10:16 PM

Agreed, his size alone will have NFL morons drooling like a NYC tourist in Thailand

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

veinup
October 4th, 2016, 12:05 AM
bradys giraffe limbs will get broken to pieces in the NFL

POD Knows
October 4th, 2016, 10:31 AM
since when did Wentz play at a FCS school? xcoffeex

AlaBizon, I like that.

Katfan
October 4th, 2016, 03:10 PM
As he should have......not a real surprise in a QB driven league.
Absolutely my son and I were both of the opinion that Wentz should have been the Number 1 pick over Goff. Any doubt I may have had was removed on the first pass he threw in the championship game.

Model Citizen
October 5th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Daniel Patrick Pugh, a.k.a. Dan Patrick, is a Dayton alum. He's been known to drop a few Flyer references on the air.

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2016, 12:31 PM
They've had one of the guys wearing SDSU shirts from time to time. Also, not sure if it's a Dan Patrick effect from his cameos, but Adam Sandler wears a bunch of FCS teams swag in his movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herder
October 5th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Who is the Griz QB coach? Gustafson's footwork and mechanics need work IMO. Just going off what little I've seen of him in the 2 games against NDSU last year. Does he call plays in a huddle? Work under center much? Adjust protections at the line and audible much? Stitt's offense probably isn't going to do him any favors at the NFL level. Not saying he can't do all of these things but it's not an easy transition as most spread QB's find out.

Gus's offense at Montana is Goff-esque. He's not learning the NFL style. The guy playing in Fargo now will have an NFL opportunity when his college days are done.

Bisonator
October 5th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Gus's offense at Montana is Goff-esque. He's not learning the NFL style. The guy playing in Fargo now will have an NFL opportunity when his college days are done.

Stick? Yeah I doubt that. He doesn't have the size or arm talent IMO.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Stick? Yeah I doubt that. He doesn't have the size or arm talent IMO.

Nah, its probably pretty likely that he will get a camp invite.

Bisonator
October 5th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Nah, its probably pretty likely that he will get a camp invite.
Maybe, still 2 years away.

espete
October 17th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Paulie is sporting a Jackrabbit shirt today. Was wondering if they would bring the game up.