PDA

View Full Version : Vanderbilt band sidelined for homecoming in favor of Tennessee State

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 04:19 PM
https://www.seccountry.com/vanderbilt/vanderbilt-band-petitioning-to-play-own-homecoming-game

Vanderbilt's band was informed that they wouldn't be performing for halftime of their homecoming game this weekend because TSU's band was invited to perform. Interesting.

Laker
October 2nd, 2016, 05:18 PM
Vanderbilt's band was informed that they wouldn't be performing for halftime of their homecoming game this weekend because TSU's band was invited to perform. Interesting.

For their own homecoming? OUCH!

JSUSoutherner
October 2nd, 2016, 05:39 PM
Even if Vandys band did go and perform TSU's band would just try to play over them in the middle of their performance.

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 05:45 PM
Why not just have the visiting band perform for the post-game?

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2016, 07:04 PM
Why not just have the visiting band perform for the post-game?

Because white people leave when the game is over? :p

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 07:12 PM
Because white people leave when the game is over? :p

Ahhh! Lol

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2016, 08:10 PM
Personally I really enjoy marching bands, but I've never been to a game anywhere when there was a post game show.

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 08:12 PM
Personally I really enjoy marching bands, but I've never been to a game anywhere when there was a post game show.

The HBCUs have 5th quarters after the game. Its basically a stands battle but they can last almost an hour after the game sometimes.

https://youtu.be/dQ13qnDQAUo

Miles vs Alabama State 5th Quarter

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2016, 08:20 PM
The HBCUs have 5th quarters after the game. Its basically a stands battle but they can last almost an hour after the game sometimes.

I'd love to catch a classic and 5th quarter sometime.

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 08:28 PM
I'd love to catch a classic and 5th quarter sometime.

C'mon down!

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2016, 09:13 PM
C'mon down!

I'll remember that invite when I find some free time. :)

- - - Updated - - -

C'mon down!

I'll remember that invite when I find some free time. :)

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2016, 09:15 PM

I think NDSU and Minnesota did some collaborative stuff after one of the games before 2010.

JSUSoutherner
October 2nd, 2016, 09:24 PM
We do post-game shows a lot. Generally for homecoming, band day, Veterans Day weekend, and for the Southerners Reunion because we do specialized shows during halftime on those occasions.

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 09:26 PM
We do post-game shows a lot. Generally for homecoming, band day, Veterans Day weekend, and for the Southerners Reunion because we do specialized shows during halftime on those occasions.

I'll Fly Away after the game by the Southerners is EPIC!

JSUSoutherner
October 2nd, 2016, 09:56 PM
Yeah. It's especially epic when Tennessee State starts blasting in the middle of it...

TheValleyRaider
October 2nd, 2016, 09:56 PM
This doesn't make sense. There's plenty of time for 2 bands to play at halftime. And your own band, presumably with its alumni showing up? I don't get it...xconfusedx

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2016, 10:05 PM
This doesn't make sense. There's plenty of time for 2 bands to play at halftime. And your own band, presumably with its alumni showing up? I don't get it...xconfusedx

Agreed. Ten or twelve minutes each with everybody moving efficiently?

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 10:08 PM
Yeah. It's especially epic when Tennessee State starts blasting in the middle of it...

I sense that Tennessee State has struck a nerve with you.

Bisonoline
October 2nd, 2016, 10:15 PM

Why would they invite a classless band to perform at their homecoming? It makes no sense. And these people are supposed to be the leaders of an institution of higher education?

BEAR
October 2nd, 2016, 10:28 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/689888583868514306/cZB-MHBy_reasonably_small.jpg (https://mobile.twitter.com/ucaband1)
UCA Bands– ‏@ucaband1 (https://mobile.twitter.com/ucaband1)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhDQAMAIAAAP///////yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI py 0Po5y0ngIAOw==

Catch the BMB during the 5th Quarter show, after the UCA/SU game tonight. #ucaband (https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/ucaband?src=hash) #GoBears (https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/GoBears?src=hash)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsA5vqpUIAAXig8.jpg (https://mobile.twitter.com/ucaband1/status/774682636920893440/photo/1)

11:55 AM - 10 Sep 2016
3 RETWEETS5 LIKES

JSUSoutherner
October 2nd, 2016, 10:35 PM
I sense that Tennessee State has struck a nerve with you.
Lil bit.

PAllen
October 2nd, 2016, 10:58 PM
That's just pathetic.

WestCoastAggie
October 3rd, 2016, 07:37 AM
Lil bit.

xlolx

WestCoastAggie
October 3rd, 2016, 07:38 AM
https://www.seccountry.com/vanderbilt/vanderbilt-band-petitioning-to-play-own-homecoming-game

xlolx

Catatonic
October 3rd, 2016, 07:53 AM

Wait. That's a song with clear religious connotations. Someone should challenge this based on separation of church and state. No pregame prayer. No I'll fly away.

On the other hand, it should help bridge the racial divide. I'll fly away is beloved by redneck white boys and, apparently, HBCU bands. In a display of interracial harmony, Willie Nelson should be invited to sing a solo backed by the Southerners band. Maybe music could do what politicians can't. :D

ASU33
October 3rd, 2016, 08:57 AM
Wait. That's a song with clear religious connotations. Someone should challenge this based on separation of church and state. No pregame prayer. No I'll fly away.

On the other hand, it should help bridge the racial divide. I'll fly away is beloved by redneck white boys and, apparently, HBCU bands. In a display of interracial harmony, Willie Nelson should be invited to sing a solo backed by the Southerners band. Maybe music could do what politicians can't. :D

The rendition of I'll Fly away that we were talking about is played by Jacksonville State. As far as the church and state thing good luck with that in the HBCU world. There's still a prayer before the National Anthem at a lot of HBCU games. Also there's not an HBCU band out there that doesn't have gospel songs in their book. Most will play a gospel song when there's a player is down on the field. Our band will play "Order My Steps" whenever there's a Hornet down on the field.

https://youtu.be/G5bjuYH1yFg

FAMU playing "Praise Is What I Do" by Rev. Hezekiah Walker.

HailSzczur
October 3rd, 2016, 11:49 AM
I love when schools with (good) bands travel to our games. Beats the crap out of listening to ours.

ASU33
October 3rd, 2016, 11:28 PM
I love when schools with (good) bands travel to our games. Beats the crap out of listening to ours.

Ouch!!!!

Laker
October 4th, 2016, 07:32 AM

Last year I helped sponsor a road trip by the MSU-Mankato band to the University of Sioux Falls in a game for first place. When they got there they were told that they would not be able to play. This makes no sense since USF has no band. Finally they relented and said that they could play the school song "when and if" the Mavs scored. This really pissed off the band- and they responded with great gusto as the game was all over by halftime with MSU scoring often. I wasn't very happy when you had them sitting there while a tinny rendition of the National Anthem came over the speakers.

I can remember when UND and Nebraska-Omaha brought their bands to Mankato. I thought it was great and really added to the atmosphere.

PAllen
October 4th, 2016, 07:58 AM
College bands are awesome and add tremendously to the atmosphere of a game if done right. Can anyone imagine a game at the big house without Michigan's band playing, or a game a Notre Dame without the band? Of course, many schools at our level are more than a little bit challenged when it comes to bands. (I'm looking at you Ivy League, Lafayette, and a few others in the northeast).

What is pathetic is having the away team's band (no matter how good) completely supplant your own at Homecoming.

ASU33
October 7th, 2016, 07:43 AM
College bands are awesome and add tremendously to the atmosphere of a game if done right. Can anyone imagine a game at the big house without Michigan's band playing, or a game a Notre Dame without the band? Of course, many schools at our level are more than a little bit challenged when it comes to bands. (I'm looking at you Ivy League, Lafayette, and a few others in the northeast).

What is pathetic is having the away team's band (no matter how good) completely supplant your own at Homecoming.

I agree 100%!

Professor
October 7th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Shouldn't folks be mad at the Vanderbilt administration

HailSzczur
October 7th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Ouch!!!!

I was involved with the music program at Nova, don't get me wrong I love all the people involved. But they can't do a halftime show to save their life. They're perfectly fine with the fight song after scores, playing on timeouts etc. By the time basketball season rolls around they really are good at the Pep Band thing, and are fantastic at entertaining and leading the crowd. But they don't have the same command at a football game, and especially not at half time. And I know they are a "scramble" band not a marching band. But a good field show is an artform, it's entertaining, and creative/new component.

ASU33
October 7th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Shouldn't folks be mad at the Vanderbilt administration

I think that's who everyone is pissed at. xeyebrowx

Ivytalk
October 7th, 2016, 03:06 PM

The Harvard band plays at all home games and at Ivy League away games, but generally not at OOC road games. It has real uniforms, silly formations, obnoxious commentary, and pretty good music. Princeton's is similar. Cornell -- true to its image as a state school -- has fancy uniforms and precise marching formations.

Laker
October 7th, 2016, 04:23 PM
The Harvard band plays at all home games and at Ivy League away games, but generally not at OOC road games. It has real uniforms, silly formations, obnoxious commentary, and pretty good music. Princeton's is similar. Cornell -- true to its image as a state school -- has fancy uniforms and precise marching formations.

Was it Columbia's band that was making fun of their own football team?

ngineer
October 7th, 2016, 11:20 PM

A few years ago, Lehigh took their band to CCSU. A last minute "addition" to CCSU's halftime activities took Lehigh's time, so they were asked to put on their show after the game, and surprisingly many on the CCSU side stayed and enjoyed "The best marching band in the East of all points West".

ngineer
October 7th, 2016, 11:23 PM

Yes, I love all good college bands. I get pissed at the televised games that no longer show the marching bands at halftime. We get talking heads ad nauseum, blah, blah, blah. The bands help make the atmosphere unique from the NFL.

grizband
October 8th, 2016, 12:03 AM
So one could say their band was banned?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2016, 01:29 AM
Yes, I love all good college bands. I get pissed at the televised games that no longer show the marching bands at halftime. We get talking heads ad nauseum, blah, blah, blah. The bands help make the atmosphere unique from the NFL.
Reason halftime shows don't get televised: Copyright infringment.

https://www.collegemarching.com/content/why-doesnt-espn-show-the-halftime-shows

Twentysix
October 8th, 2016, 02:43 AM
So one could say their band was banned?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Good job pops.

ASU33
October 8th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Reason halftime shows don't get televised: Copyright infringment.

https://www.collegemarching.com/content/why-doesnt-espn-show-the-halftime-shows

Oh wow! I didn't know about this at all.

Hammersmith
October 8th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Oh wow! I didn't know about this at all.

Yeah, there's normally at least three layers of copyright permissions that are needed to broadcast a marching band song on TV(not including college fight songs and the like). The original song has copyright protection. The marching band arrangement has separate protection(as long as the arranger secured permission from the original copyright holder to make the arrangement in the first place). When the school purchases the marching band arrangement, they get limited performance rights as part of the price. Those rights do not include TV, radio or internet broadcasts of the performance, live or recorded. They only give you live performance rights to the audience physically present.

aside: Now that doesn't include commissioned arrangements. Those may or may not include broadcast permissions of the arrangement as part of the commission, but they probably don't include broadcast permissions from the original copyright holder.

So for ESPN to broadcast a halftime show, they need permission from the school to show the band's performance, they need permission from the arrangement publisher for that version of the song, and they need permission from the copyright holder of the original song. That's at least three permissions for every song that's broadcast(often 3-5 songs per halftime show).

Sometimes it gets even trickier. Say a pop song is later covered by a different singer/group in an extremely distinctive way. Then a marching band arrangement is made from the cover. Now you need permissions from the school, the arrangement publisher, the copyright holder of the cover, and the copyright holder of the original song. And you can even add another layer if the first marching band version is extremely difficult(for a drum corps or top-flight marching band) and then that arrangement is used as the basis for a simplified version for small, young bands.

Now often these permissions are included as part of the agreements made at each level of the process, but you still need to check or you leave yourself open to litigation if you're a major company like ESPN.

When I think about stuff like this, it makes me glad I'm a director of a small HS band and not a big time college program. Of course if I was the director of a big program, I'd have an administrative staff to worry about this crap instead of doing it all myself.

CockyGeek
October 8th, 2016, 09:26 AM
I'm glad Vanderbilt gets to play during halftime. TSU is good at what they do (play for 3 straight hours without taking a breath and never be in tune) but they're not good enough to take over the home band'd slot. That's ridiculous.

dgtw
October 8th, 2016, 09:35 AM
That makes sense. It sounds like there would be a lot more involved than ESPN just writing a check to ASCAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catsfan90
October 8th, 2016, 09:40 AM
One of the coolest things I ever experienced was when UNH played nova a few years ago, and it came down to a final drive. The UNH band was perfect in helping to add to the suspense!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2016, 09:41 AM
I'm glad Vanderbilt gets to play during halftime. TSU is good at what they do (play for 3 straight hours without taking a breath and never be in tune) but they're not good enough to take over the home band'd slot. That's ridiculous.
You forgot "and be obnoxious as ****."

CockyGeek
October 8th, 2016, 10:48 AM
There's just a fundamental difference in HBCU bands and corps style bands it v or military style bands. Playing over everything is expected and enjoyed. I'm just glad they typically travel to JSU. Always great to hear another band unless it's UTC.

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2016, 11:08 AM
There's just a fundamental difference in HBCU bands and corps style bands it v or military style bands. Playing over everything is expected and enjoyed. I'm just glad they typically travel to JSU. Always great to hear another band unless it's UTC.
Then you're in for a treat. Talladega College will be here today.

Bisonoline
October 8th, 2016, 11:23 AM
So did we ever find out what the reasoning was from this decision? Are they going to let the band play? Why did they change there mind?

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2016, 11:30 AM
So did we ever find out what the reasoning was from this decision? Are they going to let the band play? Why did they change there mind?
Yeah, they fixed their stuff. No idea what their initial logic for the decision was though.

http://wkrn.com/2016/10/03/vanderbilt-band-to-play-during-homecoming-game-following-change-org-petition/

dgtw
October 8th, 2016, 11:30 AM

Last year the played during game action and got us a penalty.

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Last year the played during game action and got us a penalty.

Yup.

Like we need more penalties than we are already going to get.

Bisonoline
October 8th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Yeah, they fixed their stuff. No idea what their initial logic for the decision was though.

http://wkrn.com/2016/10/03/vanderbilt-band-to-play-during-homecoming-game-following-change-org-petition/

Thanks. But what a bunch of needless BS.

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Thanks. But what a bunch of needless BS.
The SEC in five words.

ASU33
October 9th, 2016, 03:17 PM

Good!

ASU33
October 9th, 2016, 03:20 PM

Talladega has made a few trips to Montgomery for a few games. I wasn't really impressed, they seem to be a knockoff version of Southern with knockoff Jackson State drum majors.

JSUSoutherner
October 9th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Talladega has made a few trips to Montgomery for a few games. I wasn't really impressed, they seem to be a knockoff version of Southern with knockoff Jackson State drum majors.
We had to cut our show short because they hogged halftime. We had 25 minutes. We told them to be off by 18 left and they didn't finish until 11.

SU DOG
October 9th, 2016, 07:44 PM

And playing after the game for some relatives of mine's wedding. xembarrassedx

SU DOG
October 10th, 2016, 01:46 PM
I am SO embarrassed. But I guess that every family has some dark sheep. LOL

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2016-10-08/jacksonville-st-coach-john-grass-officiates-wedding-after-win

ASU33
October 10th, 2016, 02:28 PM

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2016-10-08/jacksonville-st-coach-john-grass-officiates-wedding-after-win

I think this is pretty cool!

dgtw
October 10th, 2016, 03:41 PM

I am in that video.

What was embarrassing? I thought it was kind of neat. Do you not like the relative?

SU DOG
October 10th, 2016, 05:41 PM
I am in that video.

What was embarrassing? I thought it was kind of neat. Do you not like the relative?

Wonderful people with the relatives of mine on the groom's side. As for the wedding, being in a JSU jersey and having the coach perform it - TOO much Yardbird mania for me to take. LOL

dgtw
October 10th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Wonderful people with the relatives of mine on the groom's side. As for the wedding, being in a JSU jersey and having the coach perform it - TOO much Yardbird mania for me to take. LOL

I see. I don't really know either of them, my wife was the reason I was there. Not sure if I'd want to do that, but whatever works for them. But I can see how it would be a bit much for a non-Jax State person.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2016, 10:18 AM
This story is even more weird now that I see the two teams play this weekend.

ASU33
October 18th, 2016, 04:46 PM
This story is even more weird now that I see the two teams play this weekend.

Its been worked out now. Tennessee State is doing a shortened halftime show to ensure that Vandy's band will have the opportunity to perform.

kdinva
October 18th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Its been worked out now. Tennessee State is doing a shortened halftime show to ensure that Vandy's band will have the opportunity to perform.

or, duplicate the SUper Bowl halftime, make it 40 minutes, or whatever...