October 2nd, 2016, 03:48 PM
Here are last weeks results:

UCA 58 ACU 27
Sam 63 SFA 28
McNeese 38 Nicholls 13
Western Kentocky 50 HBU 3
Texas State 48 UIW 17
Lamar 38 SLU 14

Winning with big margins: UCA has won two games by big margins while running the ball by committee twice as many times as passing it. SHSU mauls opponents.
What the ??? SFA looked tough before Saturday. Sammy is just that much better this year. A typically close game was just the opposite this year.
Two undefeated: Only UCA and SHSU remain undefeated in conference still. 5 teams sit at 1 loss each.
Good win: McNeese figured out Nicholls.

Here's this week's match ups:

SFA at Nicholls
Kentucky Wesleyan at NWST
Lamar at ACU
Sam Houston at UIW
McNeese at SLU

My predictions:

SFA gets another win.
NWST too.
Lamar rolls.
Sam goes to 4 SLC wins.
Cowboys win again.

The_Raven
October 2nd, 2016, 03:58 PM
Here are last weeks results:

UCA 58 ACU 27
Sam 63 SFA 28
McNeese 38 Nicholls 13
Western Kentocky 50 HBU 3
Texas State 48 UIW 17
Lamar 38 SLU 14

Winning with big margins: UCA has won two games by big margins while running the ball by committee twice as many times as passing it. SHSU mauls opponents.
What the ??? SFA looked tough before Saturday. Sammy is just that much better this year. A typically close game was just the opposite this year.
Two undefeated: Only UCA and SHSU remain undefeated in conference still. 5 teams sit at 1 loss each.
Good win: McNeese figured out Nicholls.

Here's this week's match ups:

SFA at Nicholls
Kentucky Wesleyan at NWST
Lamar at ACU
Sam Houston at UIW
McNeese at SLU

My predictions:

SFA gets another win.
NWST too.
Lamar rolls.
Sam goes to 4 SLC wins.
Cowboys win again.

Totally agree with all your picks!

And I think Sam is that much better than the whole conference. They are their own worst enemy.

Daytripper
October 2nd, 2016, 04:36 PM
SFA at Nicholls - Nicholls by 10 - I just can't figure out SFA
Kentucky Wesleyan at NWST - NWST by 8
Lamar at ACU - Lamar by 20 - Harrington finally has a really big day
Sam Houston at UIW - SHSU by 13 - Maybe a bit of a letdown after BOTPW...but they muster enough
McNeese at SLU - McNeese by 14 - McNeese will find their groove

Katfan
October 2nd, 2016, 05:52 PM
SFA by 14
NWST by 7
Lamar by 14
SHSU by 28 + whatever happens in the 2nd half
McNeese by 14

SFA 93
October 2nd, 2016, 07:43 PM
SFA +6

TheRevSFA
October 2nd, 2016, 07:51 PM
Can't wait to even try to do my write up for this

Katfan
October 2nd, 2016, 08:25 PM
Can't wait to even try to do my write up for this
And we can't wait to see it��

BEAR
October 2nd, 2016, 10:07 PM
The race to 8.

I think it will take 8 division I wins for the second place team in the SLC to make the playoffs.
Last year UCA had 7 but didnt make it. Lets look at who could make it. Just my opinions from what ive seen so far.

OUT-
- ACU not eligible plus they are 0-5.
- UIW not eligible.
- NWST 0-4 and not enough DI games left.
- HBU 2 division I wins but its HBU. 6 Division I games left but i'm sure they are heavy underdogs in most of them.

Sam Houston- Has 3 division I wins and looks to win the conference.
-UIW, Nicholls, ACU, Texas Southern, NWST should be their confident wins.
- McNeese is a challenge and a tougher win.
- UCA will be the toughest due to a good defense and the fact its the last game of the year. Sam should have a playoff spot wrapped up by the NWST game worse case scenario.

SFA- Has 2 division I wins. Only 6 division I games left.
- Likely wins SLU, UIW, HBU, NWST maybe Nicholls.
- UCA will be tough.
- Honestly if SFA loses one more game then 7 division I wins won't be enough. (see UCA last year)

SLU- 1 division I win. Has 7 division I games left.
- Likely wins: HBU, UIW, ACU, Nicholls. ( not sure on Nicholls)
- Likely losses: McNeese, SFA, UCA.
- Must win out to qualify IMO.

Nicholls- 1 division I win. 7 division I games left.
-Likely losses to Sam Houston, UCA, and SFA.
- One loss and Nicholls who has played well will only have 7 wins. 2 losses its over.

Lamar- One division I win. 7 division I games left.
- Likely losses: McNeese and UCA.
- Needs to win out to be eligible IMO.

McNeese- 2 division I wins. 6 division I games left.
- Toughest games: SHSU and UCA.
- next toughest: Lamar, SLU
- easiest: ACU and NWST
- McNeese needed that SFA game. Backs are against the wall here. Not much room for error.

UCA- 4 division I wins. 6 division I games left.
- Likely wins: Lamar, Nicholls and SLU.
- Tough games. @McNeese, @SHSU, @SFA
- UCA has very little room for error but can lose a couple and still get 8 wins. If UCA wins the likely win games they have to pull one on the road in the tough games.

Likely in: SHSU.
Probable: UCA, SFA, McNeese
Maybe: Lamar, SLU
Not likely: Nicholls

BEAR
October 3rd, 2016, 11:37 AM
Any thoughts from SLC fans on this week's games?

Daytripper
October 3rd, 2016, 12:03 PM

I will be looking for a letdown from the Bearkats.

I will also be looking to see if either SFA or Nicholls bounces back. That is the best game in my mind.

BEAR
October 3rd, 2016, 12:10 PM
I will be looking for a letdown from the Bearkats.

I will also be looking to see if either SFA or Nicholls bounces back. That is the best game in my mind.

An SFA loss there and the Lumberjacks run out of room for error the rest of the year. Nicholls has ZERO room for error.

TheRevSFA
October 3rd, 2016, 01:26 PM
I picked against SFA...

Who knows what team shows up vs Nicholls...

eiu1999
October 3rd, 2016, 02:09 PM
SFA at Nicholls +10
Kentucky Wesleyan at NWST +17
Lamar at ACU +7
Sam Houston at UIW +14
McNeese at SLU +17

TheRevSFA
October 3rd, 2016, 03:33 PM
http://thefcswedge.com/slc/slc-week-6-preview/

McNeese75
October 3rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
SFA at Nicholls -7
Kentucky Wesleyan at NWST -24
Lamar -14 at ACU
Sam Houston -28 at UIW
McNeese -10 at SLU

Daytripper
October 3rd, 2016, 04:05 PM
http://thefcswedge.com/slc/slc-week-6-preview/

I agree with most of this...except the margin of victory for Sam over UIW. On the road after a rivalry game, I see a bit of a let down by the Bearkats.

BEAR
October 3rd, 2016, 04:12 PM
Waiting for that let down game....xlolx

Sammy94
October 3rd, 2016, 04:27 PM
I don't see the Kats game close at all. This team is pretty focused on each opponent weekly and not looking ahead. I was on the sideline this weekend as Keeler was having to tell Longo to slow it down enough is enough. This offense could score 80 a week if Keeler let it. I see it as another done at halftime game. 35-7 at half, rest a lot of folks and cool the jets 1/2 way thru the 3rd. 51-21 finish is more likely.

Katfan
October 3rd, 2016, 07:39 PM
SFA at Nicholls +10
Kentucky Wesleyan at NWST +17
Lamar at ACU +7
Sam Houston at UIW +14
McNeese at SLU +17
At least you picked us this week

katstrapper
October 3rd, 2016, 09:44 PM

SFA at Nicholls ................................... I think Nicholls St gets the win at home. SFA confuses me.
Kentucky Wesleyan at NWST ................. NW State gets their first
Lamar at ACU...................................... Harrington gets his yards, but I think ACU gets the upset.
Sam Houston at UIW............................ Closer than most think, but I think the Kat Offense is just too potent.
McNeese at SLU................................... McNeese in a close on.

katstrapper
October 3rd, 2016, 09:47 PM
I don't see the Kats game close at all. This team is pretty focused on each opponent weekly and not looking ahead. I was on the sideline this weekend as Keeler was having to tell Longo to slow it down enough is enough. This offense could score 80 a week if Keeler let it. I see it as another done at halftime game. 35-7 at half, rest a lot of folks and cool the jets 1/2 way thru the 3rd. 51-21 finish is more likely.

Now see I dont like hearing this. I dont think Keeler and staff should be taking any prisoners and let it fly. Its called the killer intstinct. This isnt pee wee football. If the Kats want to be taken seriously then KCK shouldnt be taking his foot off their throats.

Daytripper
October 4th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Now see I dont like hearing this. I dont think Keeler and staff should be taking any prisoners and let it fly. Its called the killer intstinct. This isnt pee wee football. If the Kats want to be taken seriously then KCK shouldnt be taking his foot off their throats.

In my mind it is about showing respect to the opposing coach and teaching the young players respect for their opponent, no matter how bitter the rivalry. I know many will not agree, but those kinds of lessons are bigger than the immediate gratification of piling on an opponent.

TheRevSFA
October 4th, 2016, 08:45 AM
In my mind it is about showing respect to the opposing coach and teaching the young players respect for their opponent, no matter how bitter the rivalry. I know many will not agree, but those kinds of lessons are bigger than the immediate gratification of piling on an opponent.

That was why I hated Coach Harper..putting up 82 points on a team is not necessary..especially when you are still throwing the ball

katstrapper
October 5th, 2016, 09:47 AM

I am pretty sure they respected their opponent before the game started. You still run your offense even with the third string in there. Where you show respect is not passing every down and you go into ground and pound mode, which the offense did that. Its the opponents job to stop you.

Like I said above, this is Division I football, not peewee football.

McNeese75
October 5th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I am pretty sure they respected their opponent before the game started. You still run your offense even with the third string in there. Where you show respect is not passing every down and you go into ground and pound mode, which the offense did that. Its the opponents job to stop you.

xthumbsupx An OC stopping the passing attack is one thing. But if the opponent can't stop the run, well it is what it is. You cannot expect the third string to just take a knee.

Daytripper
October 5th, 2016, 11:08 AM

Oh, I agree 100%. I just mentioned this as a response to those who said we should have dropped a hundred on them because they disrespected us. When you do that you put yourself on their level. Civility and respect should not be confused with political correctness or wussification.

MR. CHICKEN
October 6th, 2016, 11:36 AM
NICHOLLS STATE
NORTHWESTERN STATE
LAMAR
SAM HOUSTON STATE xcoolx
MCNEESE STATE

Sammy94
October 6th, 2016, 12:51 PM
SFA at Nicholls +7
Kentucky Wesleyan at NWST +14
Lamar + 13 at ACU
Sam Houston +27 at UIW
McNeese +10 at SLU

BEAR
October 6th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Dang ACU had so much promise coming into this year. ACU fans have got to be s-i-c-k.

Katfan
October 6th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Dang ACU had so much promise coming into this year. ACU fans have got to be s-i-c-k.
Any clue what happened? I also thought they were going to better this year.

Daytripper
October 6th, 2016, 01:57 PM

Is their coach on the hot seat? Abilene seems like a place that they should be able to recruit pretty good FCS talent. Maybe the wrong guy is in charge.

Catatonic
October 6th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Is their coach on the hot seat? Abilene seems like a place that they should be able to recruit pretty good FCS talent. Maybe the wrong guy is in charge.

Opinions vary on our board but there are more posters who are openly calling for a coaching change than at any time since we announced the move to D1.

Others think a shake up of the defensive staff is what's needed and the HC needs at least one more year. No word from the AD or BMD's (big money donors) and they are the one's who will make the decision. There are clearly problems and a lot of frustration about the apparent lack of progress. For example, against the four 2016 opponents that we played last year, the 2016 Defense has given up more yardage four times this year over 2015. The loss to HBU was a low point, one of the most humiliating defeats in our history.

BEAR
October 6th, 2016, 03:34 PM
I'm surprised because Ken is a really good coach. He knows football. There must be something more going on there than just a coaching problem. Losing to HBU...that means your Oline did NOTHING to stop their rush and your Dline must have had ZERO penetration. Might be time for Ken to shakeup his assistant coaches. What in the world changed from last year? coaches? new ones? Big player turnover? Did Ken implement a new scheme in both the offense and defense? Sometimes that takes a year to adjust to.

Catatonic
October 7th, 2016, 04:08 AM
I'm surprised because Ken is a really good coach. He knows football. There must be something more going on there than just a coaching problem. Losing to HBU...that means your Oline did NOTHING to stop their rush and your Dline must have had ZERO penetration. Might be time for Ken to shakeup his assistant coaches. What in the world changed from last year? coaches? new ones? Big player turnover? Did Ken implement a new scheme in both the offense and defense? Sometimes that takes a year to adjust to.

Ken is an outstanding QB coach. He is a great offensive coordinator. Those skills are proven. Whether he is a good head coach is an open question. Team discipline, play calling by both the DC and OC, and overall preparation are areas that have been criticized.

There have been no new schemes. The Offensive and Defensive Coordinators remain the same. The only new addition to the staff has been a corners coach. He replaced a half time coach who was essentially a grad assistant with a bit more salary. We lost several offensive linemen due to injuries and academics but every player on our O Line had significant playing time last year.

BEAR
October 8th, 2016, 03:34 PM
SFA 14
Nicholls 0
2 qrtr

If Nicholls loses this they still have SHSU and UCA to go. This may be their season.

BEAR
October 8th, 2016, 03:38 PM
SFA 14
Nicholls 7
2nd qrtr

BEAR
October 8th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Nicholls 21
SFA 14
3rd quarter

SFA driving.....stalled. Nicholls takes over.

Announcer just said Nicholls has held SFA in check since 4 minutes in the first qrtr

BEAR
October 8th, 2016, 05:27 PM
10 minutes left.

Tied at 21.

Nicholls looking for a way to give SFA the game. Trick plays? Just do what got you there.

SFA takes over.

BEAR
October 8th, 2016, 05:34 PM
SFA Oline looks tired with 6 minutes left in 4th quarter.

Punts away and it lands at Nicholls 45 and bounces backward to SFA 44. Dang. xeyebrowx

BEAR
October 8th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Nicholls 35
SFA 28
Final 2 OTs

SHSU 14
UIW 0
1st quarter

TheRevSFA
October 8th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Well I called us losing

BEAR
October 8th, 2016, 07:03 PM
Well I called us losing

Nicholls is a headache even for good teams.

But I was sure SFA would pull this one out. Watching the SFA Oline with hands on hips in the fourth I began to wonder. This will throw a wrench in my playoff predictions.

Hood
October 9th, 2016, 02:56 AM
Either way the SLC championship still has to go through Huntsville. xsmhx

LIONFAN07
October 9th, 2016, 12:58 PM
We need some help since we don't play Sam. We would have to win out and hope Sam has two losses. I don't see that happening. I could see them loosing once and have a split title. Like we did with them in 2014.

We need to worry about ourselves. We have plenty of tough games left.

SLC is always fun.