3) Samford 1-1, 3-1
3) Wofford 1-1, 3-2
3) Mercer 1-1, 2-2
6) ETSU 1-2, 2-2
7) VMI 0-1, 2-2
8) Western Carolina 0-2, 1-3
8) Furman 0-2, 0-5

Next week:
Samford at Furman (wheels have fallen off Paladin nation)
ETSU at VMI (Keydets finally get home SoCon win)
Mercer at Chattanooga (Mocs won't overlook the Bears, getting ready for 10/15 in Charleston)
North Greenville at The Citadel (Citadel rests starters in 2nd half)
Wofford at Western Carolina (our offense bounces back but defense still can't stop anything)

GO CATS!!!

Milktruck74
October 2nd, 2016, 09:33 AM
Samford - but it isn't easy...Furple tries to right the ship and almost does....but not quite. 31-28
ETSU - These kids have heart....and some talent. Why not again....31-28
Chattanooga - The Mocs put a stamp on it....sticking with the 31....31-14
Citadel - rest up for next week....31,000-7
Wofford - SoCon Match Up of the week....good game to watch...better if you are a terrier fan....31-24

I have no Idea why 31 seems to be a good number this week, but there it is...I'll stick by my predictions...maybe not so much my scores.

catamount man
October 2nd, 2016, 09:56 AM
Samford - but it isn't easy...Furple tries to right the ship and almost does....but not quite. 31-28
Wofford - SoCon Match Up of the week....good game to watch...better if you are a terrier fan....31-24

I have no Idea why 31 seems to be a good number this week, but there it is...I'll stick by my predictions...maybe not so much my scores.

You're being generous based on what I witnessed yesterday. GO CATS!!!

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2016, 09:57 AM

I have no Idea why 31 seems to be a good number this week, but there it is...I'll stick by my predictions...maybe not so much my scores.You REALLY think 1-1 tied-for-3rd-place Woffy @ 0-2 8th place WCU is THE SoCon Match-up of THIS week? That is so very interesting.

Milktruck74
October 2nd, 2016, 10:00 AM
You REALLY think 1-1 tied-for-3rd-place Woffy @ 0-2 8th place WCU is THE SoCon Match-up of THIS week? That is so very interesting.

I think the match up make it a fun game to watch and Spier will have his guys ready to play. This game is going to be closer than people think. We will all know how wrong I am on Saturday.

Edit: I just looked at Massey and it says 28-23...Massey has been spot on for the FCS this year....don't trust me, but those computer rankings are pretty darn accurate.

kdinva
October 2nd, 2016, 11:20 AM
Samford 34 at Furman 24
ETSU 17 at VMI 35
Mercer 16 at Chattanooga 35
North Greenville 12 at The Citadel 41
Wofford 37 at Western Carolina 28

1) UTC
2) Citadel
3) Samford
4) Wofford
5) Mercer
6) VMI
7) WCU
8) ETSU
9) Furman

ElCid
October 2nd, 2016, 12:28 PM
I think the match up make it a fun game to watch and Spier will have his guys ready to play. This game is going to be closer than people think. We will all know how wrong I am on Saturday.

Edit: I just looked at Massey and it says 28-23...Massey has been spot on for the FCS this year....don't trust me, but those computer rankings are pretty darn accurate.

I have been doing an analysis on both Massey and Sagarin, at least in regard to picking winners...NOT SPREADS. Massey was slightly better (as of last week, I have not done yesterday's games yet). Massey was at 83% and Sagarin was at 80%. But of note, I recorded every pick of the year for Massey back in preseason and even those picks are at 82%. I think Massey is more detailed in their analysis AND they take ALL games into account, not just Div I games like Sagarin does. But yo are correct, Massey does get ridiculously close to the actual score, sometimes.

Milktruck74
October 2nd, 2016, 01:15 PM
I think they said 39-7 for the Mocs at ETSU yesterday...37-7 is darn close!!!

ElCid
October 2nd, 2016, 01:47 PM
I think they said 39-7 for the Mocs at ETSU yesterday...37-7 is darn close!!!

That is the one that really caught my eye.

The Mercer VMI game as well. They said 27-24 Mercer. It was 27-27 at the end of regulation. Pretty decent.

CID1990
October 2nd, 2016, 10:00 PM
You REALLY think 1-1 tied-for-3rd-place Woffy @ 0-2 8th place WCU is THE SoCon Match-up of THIS week? That is so very interesting.

I'm assuming you would argue that Chatty vs Mercer (who had to go to OT to beat VMI) is somehow a better candidate?

Right now Wofford is more of a question mark and they have not yet lost to The Citadel

There aren't any real head scratchers this week, but if there has to be one it would be Whofferd/WCU

If Mercer beats Chatty then they'll obviously have a Game 'O Da Week moving forward but right now they are playing as predicted by everyone except you and that prediction dude who is already irrelevant

And Mercer ain't ghana beat Chatty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2016, 11:53 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Pompous, narcissistic over exaggerations & empty boasts. Vain, dogmatic cliches. Blah, Blah, Blah

Yeah, OK, whatever, Syd Vicious. I was addressing the normally very objective and quite knowledgeable Chatt fan who said that, as it genuinely surprised me. Because if I were a Chatt fan this week, based on the very interesting Mercer/Chatt contests of the past 2 years, there would be no other SoCon game of any interest to me this week.

By the way, is there some reason you feel compelled to reply to my posts that have nothing to do with you and/or the Bellhops? Maybe you're just completing the field work for your postgraduate degree in Douchebaggery. You could sign up for one of Chatttttown's courses, though he'll require you to be humorous, and I'm not sure you can rise to that challenge.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 12:17 AM
Yeah, OK, whatever, Syd Vicious. I was addressing the normally very objective and quite knowledgeable Chatt fan who said that, as it genuinely surprised me. Because if I were a Chatt fan this week, based on the very interesting Mercer/Chatt contests of the past 2 years, there would be no other SoCon game of any interest to me this week.

By the way, is there some reason you feel compelled to reply to my posts that have nothing to do with you and/or the Bellhops? Maybe you're just completing the field work for your postgraduate degree in Douchebaggery. You could sign up for one of Chatttttown's courses, though he'll require you to be humorous, and I'm not sure you can rise to that challenge.

The Care Bear rears up. Last time I checked this was a thread about the SOCON. Everything in the SOCON is of concern to us. Calm down.

Oh and get over it. Not sure it is the "Game of the Week" either. Not that it means very much anyway. If you had a chance of beating them maybe but as it is, I think you are going to get waxed. And even if you do happen to beat them somehow, they are still the favorite right now and will probably remain so. The Wofford/Western or even the Samford/Furman game are just as compelling since Wofford and Samford are fighting to get out of the hole. Big games for both. In other words, you aren't really part of the conversation yet. Win a couple more and come back and whine.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 01:08 AM
Week 5 Review on the FCS Wedge.

http://thefcswedge.com/socon/socon-week-5-review-and-power-rankings/

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2016, 01:12 AM
Additional irrelevant BS; completely unrelated to the original conversation

Again, I was looking for MilkTruck's confirmation of his opinion; not a ration of blather from a couple of BellhopBlowHards. He gave me that. I'm good. Serenely calm. Not sure why you 2 boysinbabyblue feel like you have to chop block that convo, but rock on brother - those 5 points over the past 3 years, including the 1 this year, and that share of a SoCon Championship Mercer gifted you with by beating Chatt last season, give you full mouth-running rights. Enjoy it while it lasts.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 01:17 AM
Samford 33 @ Furman 28
ETSU 16 @ VMI 31
Mercer 13 @ Chattanooga 34
North Greenville 13 @ The Citadel 48
Wofford 31 @ Western Carolina 27

1) UTC - Sitting pretty
2) Citadel - Got it going full tilt
3) Samford - Got er done
4) Wofford - A swing and miss, but it was a good effort
5) Mercer - Crazy game but a W all the same
6) VMI - Way better this year
7) WCU - Needs to put an ad out for a new DC
8) ETSU - Got whipped
9) Furman - Needs therapy

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 01:19 AM
Again, I was looking for MilkTruck's confirmation of his opinion; not a ration of blather from a couple of BellhopBlowHards. He gave me that. I'm good. Serenely calm. Not sure why you 2 boysinbabyblue feel like you have to chop block that convo, but rock on brother - those 5 points over the past 3 years, including the 1 this year, and that share of a SoCon Championship Mercer gifted you with by beating Chatt last season, give you full mouth-running rights. Enjoy it while it lasts.

It's what we do.

And I never thanked you. Thank you.

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2016, 01:29 AM
It's what we do.

And I never thanked you. Thank you.

I know and I'm glad 'they' started calling it...in Week 2.

And I would say "You're welcome," but I had nothing at all to do with it.

Now, dropping "L's" regularly on The Citadel during your years as a Cadet, I definitely had something to do with that! Wait, I have video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

:D

CID1990
October 3rd, 2016, 06:00 AM

Look at the hypersensitive special flower.

Get over yourself. If you have a problem with people responding to something not directed at them you need to try a different forum.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2016, 06:40 AM
Samford @ Furman
ETSU @ VMI
Mercer @ Chattanooga
North Greenville @ The Citadel xlolx Just kidding:p
Wofford @ Western Carolina

CID1990
October 3rd, 2016, 06:49 AM
Samford @ Furman
ETSU @ VMI
Mercer @ Chattanooga

lol smartass

Milktruck74
October 3rd, 2016, 08:12 AM
Apparently my pics have drifted over to the Merced Message board. I'm providing the "bulletin board material" for them to rally around this week, because I think WCU/WC is going to be a closer game. So glad I can give their fan base something to do all week. This game/MU fans kind of have the same feel as the last two years against WCU....how they were going to show an over rated Chattanooga what a real team looked like.....I think we combined for a 92-13....we will see on Saturday. I didn't realize my simple comment would grow legs and walk to Macon.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2016, 08:50 AM
Apparently my pics have drifted over to the Merced Message board. I'm providing the "bulletin board material" for them to rally around this week, because I think WCU/WC is going to be a closer game. So glad I can give their fan base something to do all week. This game/MU fans kind of have the same feel as the last two years against WCU....how they were going to show an over rated Chattanooga what a real team looked like.....I think we combined for a 92-13....we will see on Saturday. I didn't realize my simple comment would grow legs and walk to Macon.

Any perceived slight to Mercer is met with full roar resistance. They haven't lost yet, you know. Just ran out of time.

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2016, 09:15 AM

Happy to extend your social media presence! No fees due.

Sure haven't seen anyone from Mercer saying anything like that (bolded) above. As the kids say these days, "Pics or it didn't happen." :)

Honestly, I am a little surprised, after Mercer beat Chatt in 2015 (after Chatt had beaten Samford, Wofford, WCU, and a week before they beat The Citadel) and was fingertips away from sending a 7 point game into OT in 2014, that 'everyone' is writing this game off as fait accompli in favor of the Mocs.

At this point, Chatt has a high ranking, 1 apparently 'good' win against Samford, 3 dominating wins over teams that have a combined 1-13 record with 0 wins vs. FCS Scholarship Teams, and a win over a 2nd year program. Mercer has a 1-point loss on a late FG to a highly-ranked undefeated FCS Team, a 'decent' loss to an FBS P5 Team, and 2 wins over FCS Teams with combined .500 records vs. only FCS/FBS competition.

That said, Chatt appears to be a heckuva an assembly of talent, may beat Mercer by 99+ points, and just may challenge for the FCS National Championship this year. No doubt, Chatt is and should be heavily favored; just don't see that's it's 'already decided,' given the past 2 head-to-head matchups and Chatt's schedule so far.

Toby
October 3rd, 2016, 09:22 AM
They haven't lost yet, you know. Just ran out of time.

Sounds like a great "never say die attitude" to me!

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2016, 09:27 AM
Any perceived slight to Mercer is met with full roar resistance. They haven't lost yet, you know. Just ran out of time.

Ha Ha - Nope - Mercer clearly lost to San Diego & Marist in '13, Woffy in '14, Sammy in '15, and GT in '16. The rest of 'em....one could, if one were so inclined, make an argument for the accuracy of your postulate....except for Woffy in '15 also, I guess, since that one was by 1 point in OT, which is untimed.

BTW...don't you...actually, WE have much bigger problems to worry about these days?

Thumper 76
October 3rd, 2016, 09:50 AM

Somebody's pissy today.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catamount87
October 3rd, 2016, 10:14 AM
Power Rankings:

1. UTC - still king of the hill
2. The Citadel - keeps getting it done
3. Samford - good but still a ways off from the above
4. Wofford - not quite as good as Samford but really close
5. (TIE) Mercer, ETSU, VMI - call it the 2-fer tie
8. WCU - wheels are off on the defensive bus and wobbly on the offensive bus now
9. Furman - officially a dumpster fire

Predictions:

Samford at Furman - someone pre-emptively call the Greenville FD to be on standby as Samford lights it up
ETSU at VMI - it should be entertaining, nod to the home team
Mercer at UTC - Mercer in another miracle win
North Greenville at The Citadel - Dogs run wild
Wofford at Western Carolina - Run defense? It'll be another ugly day in the 'Whee.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 10:32 AM
Samford @ Furman
ETSU @ VMI
Mercer @ Chattanooga

Hey they did demolish the planet school this week. But I don't think we will get Furmanized.* Could I see our guys kick back and let then get close? Maybe. They better not but remember what the planet school did to Chatty last year. The N Greenville game was actually on TV on Saturday and I watched a bit of it. They look like a good team and Massey has them ranked between Houston Baptist and Marist. I sure hope the storm does not impact the game. It is suppose to be sitting right off Charleston on Saturday.

All in fun......:D

Furmanize (\ˈfər\man\ˈīz\) - 1. playing under potential; 2. getting smacked down by a second year program; 3. going winless synonyms - loser, disappointment, fiasco, catastrophe antonyms - winner, successful, victorious, The Citadel

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 10:34 AM

Or the officiating beat them.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2016, 10:43 AM
Or the officiating beat them.

Now that Georgia Southern is gone, someone's fan base has to pin every bad play on the stripes. :)

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2016, 10:45 AM
Ha Ha - Nope - Mercer clearly lost to San Diego & Marist in '13, Woffy in '14, Sammy in '15, and GT in '16. The rest of 'em....one could, if one were so inclined, make an argument for the accuracy of your postulate....except for Woffy in '15 also, I guess, since that one was by 1 point in OT, which is untimed.

BTW...don't you...actually, WE have much bigger problems to worry about these days?

I don't have much more energy for Furman football this year. I'd rather them just be bad, lose by several scores every game, and just get on with the future. I'm tired of losing by a couple of points where constant unforced errors ultimately make up the difference.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 10:51 AM
I don't have much more energy for Furman football this year. I'd rather them just be bad, lose by several scores every game, and just get on with the future. I'm tired of losing by a couple of points where constant unforced errors ultimately make up the difference.

Yeah, take away about 6 turnovers and I think you could be 4-2?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 3rd, 2016, 11:11 AM
I was 3-2 last week. Mercer and Kennesaw State represented the Peach State well this past week (unlike their big brother from Athens who got their face stepped on with a hobnail boot that broke their nose and crushed their face). Here's where I have at after this week:

1) Chattanooga - Not the beatdown I was expecting but still a win
2) The Citadel - Still undefeated for another week
3) Samford - Survived the Terriers
4) Wofford - Came up short in the end
5) Mercer - Surprised the Keydets
6) ETSU - Was resilient in defeat
7) VMI - Has shown improvement over the past couple of seasons
8) Western Carolina - Got hammered by The Citadel
9) Furman - First SoCon team to be eliminated from playoff contention

Predictions
Samford @ Furman - Bulldogs cruise in this one.
ETSU @ VMI - Cardiac Bucs keep hope alive for one more week
North Greenville @ The Citadel (Beatdown of the Week) - Bulldogs keep their unbeaten record alive for one more week
Mercer @ Chattanooga (Game of the Week) - Mocs avenge last year's loss
Wofford @ Western Carolina - Terriers chew up the Catamounts

OL FU
October 3rd, 2016, 11:21 AM

Your math is worse than mine:D

CID1990
October 3rd, 2016, 11:26 AM
Now that Georgia Southern is gone, someone's fan base has to pin every bad play on the stripes. :)

The thing about SoCon refs is that we've ALL been there. They ARE bad. But what most fan bases have done is accepted it as part of being in the SoCon- your going to have crappy officiating from time to time, and most of us just take it as read. Every team in this conference can point to multiple games that *could* have gone the other way if not for the refs. As bad as the are, SoCon championships have never turned on the refs. The good teams still win more than they lose, and the bad ones couldn't win with all the ref help in the world.

CID1990
October 3rd, 2016, 11:29 AM

Since you already straddle two teams, maybe you should take up a third one: Chattanooga

Then you'd have a team that has actually beaten El Cid in the last 3-4 years

OrangeAndBlack
October 3rd, 2016, 01:41 PM
Power Ranks heading to Week 6:

1. UTC -- Default position until they lose it.
2. The Citadel -- Default until they beat UTC, or lose to someone else.
3. Samford -- Bounced back with a tight win over Wofford.
4. Wofford -- Neck and neck with Samford.
5. Mercer -- Nearly let one slip away, but rose to the occasion.
6. VMI -- Showed a lot of heart, and I have great respect for their team.
7. Furman -- Wow.
8. ETSU -- Fading the last few weeks, but still holds a victory over...
9. WCU -- Tough season so far.

Week 6 picks:

Samford 45, Furman 21
ETSU 17, VMI 35 -- VMI has to be heated from last week, and take it out on the Bucs.
North Greenville 3, The Citadel 35
Mercer 24, UTC 23 -- (Clearly the Game of the Week) -- The only SoCon team to beat UTC over the past 2.5 seasons will rise again.
Wofford 30, WCU 20

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2016, 03:46 PM

We had 4 turnovers against the Citadel and lost by, what, 5? I mean, we handed the Citadel the ball on the 4 yard line for their game winning score after a fumble.

Last season we lost to Wofford where the deciding factor was a pick 6. Lost to Mercer after an unsportsmanlike penalty on what should have been the game winning TD. Just last week we gave up 31 points to Coastal on 36 yards of offense.

If remember watching Elon when they came into the league. Just overmatched by virtually everyone. I don't look at Furman and see a team that is overmatched talent-wise. I see a team plagued by awful execution, little discipline, and who finds themselves down 14 points generally before the fans take their seats.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 04:01 PM
We had 4 turnovers against the Citadel and lost by, what, 5? I mean, we handed the Citadel the ball on the 4 yard line for their game winning score after a fumble.

Last season we lost to Wofford where the deciding factor was a pick 6. Lost to Mercer after an unsportsmanlike penalty on what should have been the game winning TD. Just last week we gave up 31 points to Coastal on 36 yards of offense.

If remember watching Elon when they came into the league. Just overmatched by virtually everyone. I don't look at Furman and see a team that is overmatched talent-wise. I see a team plagued by awful execution, little discipline, and who finds themselves down 14 points generally before the fans take their seats.

All good points, but execution and the psychology of winning are part of the game. Can't let little setbacks demoralize you. That is what I really like about our team this year. Nothing seemed to get them down. In those first three games where we were on the edge but they rose up every time. But I really liked how Furman responded in the second half this past week. I would not be terribly surprised if you beat Samford, but it will be tough. Now if you could just get Hannon to stop throwing it to the other team.....

OrangeAndBlack
October 3rd, 2016, 04:27 PM
It's been mentioned on the OP and on the Mocs boards, but the common theme is UTC won't "overlook" Mercer. That's only a theme that could have been applied last year after a 7 point game in 2014. Now that we have 2 games of recent history, it's enough evidence that Mercer can simply hang with UTC to the point of winning. These teams have just been evenly matched the past 2 seasons, with the trend of Mercer rising/improving.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 05:00 PM
For those who have not been watching, this weekends games might be impacted by Hurricane Matthew. The Citadel vs N Greenville probably for sure. But it could turn, slow down, or speed up and end up in any number of places in Ga, SC, or NC. Not sure what we will do if it gets too close to Charleston. Right now it could be off the coast a bit with 40 miles an hour sustained winds which do not make for a great ball game. It's Parents Day as well. Going to be a mess. Not sure if we would canx it or move it, especially considering Parent Day weekend. SC St and USC are both at home. Can't see us going to Tigerville to play them. CSU has already moved their game up to Thursday.

CID1990
October 3rd, 2016, 06:03 PM
For those who have not been watching, this weekends games might be impacted by Hurricane Matthew. The Citadel vs N Greenville probably for sure. But it could turn, slow down, or speed up and end up in any number of places in Ga, SC, or NC. Not sure what we will do if it gets too close to Charleston. Right now it could be off the coast a bit with 40 miles an hour sustained winds which do not make for a great ball game. It's Parents Day as well. Going to be a mess. Not sure if we would canx it or move it, especially considering Parent Day weekend. SC St and USC are both at home. Can't see us going to Tigerville to play them. CSU has already moved their game up to Thursday.

Hurricanes don't bother triple option teams.

In fact a downpour during the Chatty game would be nice.

Milktruck74
October 3rd, 2016, 06:24 PM
A downpour and 40+MPH winds...I like our ground game.... I also think It will be real interesting to see all 11 of our guys in the Box on Defense. We have been moving the LOS and putting tremendous pressure with only 4 (sometimes 3 and once a sack with only 2) rushers. It could be exciting to see what kind of damage we could do with all 11.

Toby
October 3rd, 2016, 07:04 PM
A downpour and 40+MPH winds...I like our ground game.... I also think It will be real interesting to see all 11 of our guys in the Box on Defense. We have been moving the LOS and putting tremendous pressure with only 4 (sometimes 3 and once a sack with only 2) rushers. It could be exciting to see what kind of damage we could do with all 11.

Glad to see you all have your undivided attention on the Citadel in 2 weeks!

citdog
October 3rd, 2016, 07:06 PM
Samford @ Furman
ETSU @ VMI
Mercer @ Chattanooga

Remember how I said it was easy to have compassion for you??? Now....NOT so much!!!

citdog
October 3rd, 2016, 07:07 PM
Hurricanes don't bother triple option teams.

In fact a downpour during the Chatty game would be nice.

Nice? Hell it would be Canoe U 1989 all over again!

Toby
October 3rd, 2016, 07:14 PM
Massey FCS Composite Rankings (33 rankings) with change from last week.

1. UTC (3) -1
2. Citadel (7) +5
3. Samford (13) +8
4. Wofford (22) -2
5. Mercer (33) +12
6. WCU (61) -14
7. VMI (64) +2
8. ETSU (74) +8
9. Furman (76) -25

SoCon still ranked #2 conference behind MV and ahead of Colonial.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2016, 07:23 PM
Remember how I said it was easy to have compassion for you??? Now....NOT so much!!!
if I recall you and compassion maybe two words that have never met

citdog
October 3rd, 2016, 07:26 PM
if I recall you and compassion maybe two words that have never met

touche my furple friend....touche

Milktruck74
October 3rd, 2016, 07:38 PM
Revised my Picks just for the crew from Macon...

Chattanooga - Has a BYE this week to prepare for the Citadel next week.

So Con Power Rankings
1. UTC
2. Citadel
3. Samford
4. Wofford
5. WCU
6. VMI
7. ETSU
8. Furman

OL FU
October 3rd, 2016, 07:45 PM
Revised my Picks just for the crew from Macon...

Chattanooga - Has a BYE this week to prepare for the Citadel next week.

So Con Power Rankings
1. UTC
2. Citadel
3. Samford
4. Wofford
5. WCU
6. VMI
7. ETSU
8. Furman

my math sucks but aren't we missing a team in there somewhete

OL FU
October 3rd, 2016, 07:47 PM
Revised picks for Macon maybe that is why we are missing a teamxnodx

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 07:50 PM

Actually that just means once we are through, there will be nobody left for Renew to beat. I like it. And I like the way our O line has moved some of the D lines down the field. For not being all that big compared to others, the boys up front are doing OK. And we were getting sacks on G-W and I think one or two of the 7 sacks on WCU with just three or four rushers.

But the rain and wind are always equalizers. Rather be without it.

citdog
October 3rd, 2016, 07:51 PM
But the rain and wind are always equalizers. Rather be without it.

Not me....see @ navy 1989...

chattownmocs
October 3rd, 2016, 07:55 PM
We are outscoring opponents 40-8 on average. I know we have played an easy schedule, and out of the immense respect I have for mercer, I'll say 37-10.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 08:02 PM
We are outscoring opponents 40-8 on average. I know we have played an easy schedule, and out of the immense respect I have for mercer, I'll say 37-10.

If Chattanooga's D plays on par, I don't see Mercer scoring more than 2 TDs. It's when the Mocs relax that they let things get close.

CID1990
October 3rd, 2016, 08:30 PM

We'll toss it right over your heads if you do that. Ask WCU - both times they put everyone up close - 2 TDs through the air.

Chatty has the best D in the conference but unlike the last couple years - we WILL throw it when the other team offers it.

Mocs123
October 3rd, 2016, 09:50 PM
Talking about the wind and the triple option made me go look at stats. Is it just me or is The Citadel and Wofford throwing the ball more this year? I mean ya'll aren't going to be Samford anytime soon, but it seems like both teams are less one dimensional than they have been in the past, where they seem to throw it a couple of times a game.

And though I haven't posted my picks for this week, I am predicting a close game with Mercer. If you look at the past two years games, and Mercers games in general, they always seem to be close. I think I will go with something like Chattanooga 28 Mercer 24 but I am still evaluating.

BearDownMU
October 3rd, 2016, 09:53 PM
Chattanooga's defense is good. Real good. And scoring will be tough, I'm sure. That being said, I like our rush defense A LOT. I also like our pass rush. The trick in this game is going to be to keep scoring down.

All that said, I think last year's win and the close one the year before was about SCHEME. Having watched both games a few times, our game plan was really good against what they do.

Now, everyone has access to the same tape, so, the question is, can CBL dial up another GREAT offensive gameplan against a GREAT defense? Don't know. But I sure hope so.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 10:54 PM
Talking about the wind and the triple option made me go look at stats. Is it just me or is The Citadel and Wofford throwing the ball more this year? I mean ya'll aren't going to be Samford anytime soon, but it seems like both teams are less one dimensional than they have been in the past, where they seem to throw it a couple of times a game.

And though I haven't posted my picks for this week, I am predicting a close game with Mercer. If you look at the past two years games, and Mercers games in general, they always seem to be close. I think I will go with something like Chattanooga 28 Mercer 24 but I am still evaluating.

It's just you. I think we are a little down this year. In attempts at least, but I would have to check. OK I checked...in 13 games last year we passed 108 times for an average of 8.3 a game. In 4 games so far we have passed 32 times for 8 a game. So it was you. We are down .3 a game. Thought is was obvious.xlolx In yardage it was 74.8 a game last year. So far it is 71.8.

ElCid
October 4th, 2016, 12:22 AM
SOCON Week 6 Preview on the FCS Wedge.

http://thefcswedge.com/socon/socon-week-6-preview/

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2016, 05:36 AM
Chattanooga's defense is good. Real good. And scoring will be tough, I'm sure. That being said, I like our rush defense A LOT. I also like our pass rush. The trick in this game is going to be to keep scoring down.

All that said, I think last year's win and the close one the year before was about SCHEME. Having watched both games a few times, our game plan was really good against what they do.

Now, everyone has access to the same tape, so, the question is, can CBL dial up another GREAT offensive gameplan against a GREAT defense? Don't know. But I sure hope so.

Just my opinion, but as Furman is the only team to actually somewhat contain UTC's offense to this point, I think you have to stop Crain first and foremost. A lot of UTC's offense is built around play fakes, and if they get the running game going too, goodnight sweetheart.

UTC's offense is what I consider a "haymaker" type offense. They are like the anti-Citadel. Citadel wants to grind it out on the ground and just punish you before scoring. UTC wants to catch your defense out of position once a drive and throw it over your head for a touchdown. Their receivers are fast enough to run right by you if your defenders get caught out of position, and their QB can really launch it.

That said, I'm not sure Mercer is going to score enough to beat them. Furman had pretty good success playing field position and trying to keep the Mocs pinned at one end of the field.

BearDownMU
October 4th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Just my opinion, but as Furman is the only team to actually somewhat contain UTC's offense to this point, I think you have to stop Crain first and foremost. A lot of UTC's offense is built around play fakes, and if they get the running game going too, goodnight sweetheart.

UTC's offense is what I consider a "haymaker" type offense. They are like the anti-Citadel. Citadel wants to grind it out on the ground and just punish you before scoring. UTC wants to catch your defense out of position once a drive and throw it over your head for a touchdown. Their receivers are fast enough to run right by you if your defenders get caught out of position, and their QB can really launch it.

That said, I'm not sure Mercer is going to score enough to beat them. Furman had pretty good success playing field position and trying to keep the Mocs pinned at one end of the field.

I know for a fact that Derrick Craine can run for 102 yards and [Mocs QB] can run for 112 yards in the same game and it's possible for us to win. ;)

ElCid
October 4th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Not me....see @ navy 1989...

I had to dig back into my memory a bit but I checked the records to refresh them and I am not likely the parallels with 1989. This year we have started 4-0 and a hurricane threatens to disrupt our rhythm and get the boys distracted. In 1989 we started 4-0, including that victory over Navy and we tubed the season beginning with a tie against WCU up in Columbia. The campus and stadium were trashed and the boys got distracted. If this game is moved somehow I sure hope they stay focused. And the storm is now forecasted to be even closer to Charleston. But if it keeps going as scheduled it should be off Myrtle Beach by game time. That could still make it a crazy game as this thing is a monster. Maybe it will be moved to a Sunday game. The Parent Day thing has really limited the administrations options. Hard to play a game upstate when all your fans are hunkered down in Charleston.

walliver
October 4th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Samford at Furman - FU may be the best 0-5 team in America, but there are major problems in Traveller's Rest, and despite Fowler's great turn-around 2 years ago, I don't see it happening now. If he could fix the problem, he would have done it earlier this season, if not last year. Sammy pulls off a 28-21 win.
ETSU at VMI - The Mountain Bucs had a few big wins early and could pull this one off, but VMI has experience and wins at home 31-10
Mercer at Chattanooga - The Cubbies have done well against the Mocs the last two years, but there's no element of surprise anymore and Chatty pulls out a 31-17 win.
North Greenville at The Citadel - CSU-lite has a pass happy offense. They would struggle mightily against the Citadel, but if it rains, this game cold get ugly fast. Chucktown pups win 56-3
Wofford at WCU - Penalties killed the T-Dogs last week (and yes, most were good calls by the officials). We're down to our 3d team QB and a true freshman. WCU on the other hand seems to be in disarray. Whichever team gets it act together first will win. Terriers pull out a 28-23 win.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I know for a fact that Derrick Craine can run for 102 yards and [Mocs QB] can run for 112 yards in the same game and it's possible for us to win. ;)

This group is a little different on offense than they were last year. Less content with trying to gash you to death in the middle. They'll run it a bit, try to get to the edges, and then try to knock you off your feet downfield.

And, again, their defense is really good.

SU DOG
October 4th, 2016, 11:41 AM
My Picks
Samford - Hope the rain isn't a factor as we are slightly one-dimensional. LOL.
VMI - Keydets won't let this one get away.
Chatty - Not this year for the Bears, and probably won't be close. Hope I'm wrong - lots of Bears fans this week.
The Citadel - Mismatch!
Wofford - Their 3rd string QB is pretty darn good. The Terriers are big and physical, and IMO, considerably better than last year.

longtimemocfan
October 4th, 2016, 11:41 AM
It's been mentioned on the OP and on the Mocs boards, but the common theme is UTC won't "overlook" Mercer. That's only a theme that could have been applied last year after a 7 point game in 2014. Now that we have 2 games of recent history, it's enough evidence that Mercer can simply hang with UTC to the point of winning. These teams have just been evenly matched the past 2 seasons, with the trend of Mercer rising/improving.

You cant really blame the Chattanooga fan base for their thinking on overlooking Mercer. Since Mercer has come into the league they are 4-12 in the conference to date. The wins being VMI twice, Furman and Chattanooga. Chattanooga is 16-1 to date. You may be improving, but not over the hump yet. Playing someone close doesn't mean your on level with them yet. In 2011 we were 3-5. The 5 losses were by combined total of 12 points. We were up and coming, but just didnt have what it took to win those close games.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Playing someone close doesn't mean your on level with them yet.

Solid logic. Going with that premise, what does beating them mean, then?

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2016, 11:49 AM
You cant really blame the Chattanooga fan base for their thinking on overlooking Mercer. Since Mercer has come into the league they are 4-12 in the conference to date. The wins being VMI twice, Furman and Chattanooga. Chattanooga is 16-1 to date. You may be improving, but not over the hump yet. Playing someone close doesn't mean your on level with them yet. In 2011 we were 3-5. The 5 losses were by combined total of 12 points. We were up and coming, but just didnt have what it took to win those close games.

And most educated Mocs Fans understood we were not as good as (or even close) to most of those teams. Score differential doesn't indicate the talent gap.

longtimemocfan
October 4th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I'll give you that win and your team deserved it. Despite Mercer losing the statistical battle I still say they outplayed us. No excuses, but that's just one good win. You have to back it up with some more.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2016, 11:55 AM

Games like this matter a lot, as I faintly recall back when Furman was good.

UTC is ranked top 5. They are likely looking at a loss to Alabama later this year. If they were playing virtually anyone other than Alabama, they'd probably have a decent shot at a win.

They can still win the conference with a loss and a win over the #2 team. However, for playoff purposes a loss would be pretty crippling. Especially considering many of the top 10 teams are not going to play one another. Granted, anything can happen in the playoffs, but it is much nicer to be playing at home than having to hit the road in the post season.

UTC will still get in the playoffs, but at their level right now, it really becomes about seeding.

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Solid logic. Going with that premise, what does beating them mean, then?

It mean's you were better than VMI this year...I do remember when all UTC had to gloat about for many years was knocking off #1 Marshall....yep when we sucked, we always went back to that too.

longtimemocfan
October 4th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Games like this matter a lot, as I faintly recall back when Furman was good.

UTC is ranked top 5. They are likely looking at a loss to Alabama later this year. If they were playing virtually anyone other than Alabama, they'd probably have a decent shot at a win.

They can still win the conference with a loss and a win over the #2 team. However, for playoff purposes a loss would be pretty crippling. Especially considering many of the top 10 teams are not going to play one another. Granted, anything can happen in the playoffs, but it is much nicer to be playing at home than having to hit the road in the post season.

UTC will still get in the playoffs, but at their level right now, it really becomes about seeding.

Your correct, the Mercer loss last year took us from a 2 or 3 seed to playing in the 1st round :-(

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2016, 12:04 PM
I'll give you that win and your team deserved it. Despite Mercer losing the statistical battle I still say they outplayed us. No excuses, but that's just one good win. You have to back it up with some more.

+4 in the Turnover margin is the biggest stat. I don't care if you are NDSU, give up the ball 4 times and you will will be in the right column in sunday's paper.

longtimemocfan
October 4th, 2016, 12:14 PM
+4 in the Turnover margin is the biggest stat. I don't care if you are NDSU, give up the ball 4 times and you will will be in the right column in sunday's paper.

Losing the turnover battle can be the most telling stat reguardless of how many yards you gain absolutely.

BearDownMU
October 4th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Unless I'm looking at it incorrectly, the turnover differential was 3, not 4. But, to your point, it is really difficult to give teams extra possessions and win.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2016, 12:32 PM
It mean's you were better than VMI this year

OK...solid logic again. Going with that premise, then renders all of this...

Since Mercer has come into the league they are 4-12 in the conference to date. The wins being VMI twice, Furman and Chattanooga. Chattanooga is 16-1 to date.

...with the exception of this last week's results, meaningless. Correct?

Therefore, using your logic, as opposed to longtimemocfan's, all we know is:
1) Mercer is better than VMI this year
2) Chatt is better than ETSU this year
3) Mercer was better than Chatt last year.

Fair enough.

OrangeAndBlack
October 4th, 2016, 06:10 PM
The Citadel is moving their game to D2 North Greenville. Should make for a mildly interesting side story. I wonder how the players will handle all the shuffling around?

CID1990
October 4th, 2016, 06:18 PM
It's just you. I think we are a little down this year. In attempts at least, but I would have to check. OK I checked...in 13 games last year we passed 108 times for an average of 8.3 a game. In 4 games so far we have passed 32 times for 8 a game. So it was you. We are down .3 a game. Thought is was obvious.xlolx In yardage it was 74.8 a game last year. So far it is 71.8.

There's one difference this year though- the few times we have thrown it it has been punishing to the other teams

We kept drives alive with the pass against GW and scored two TDs against WCU

In the past we just threw the ball to keep the other teams honest after having run it up the middle 20 times in a row. Now we are actually throwing it as a part of the game plan (albeit a small one)

MUfan
October 4th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Samford 37- Furman 13
VMI 27- ETSU 23
Mercer 24- Chattanooga 21
The Citadel 45- NG 13
Wofford 33- WC 17

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2016, 06:45 PM
There's one difference this year though- the few times we have thrown it it has been punishing to the other teams

We kept drives alive with the pass against GW and scored two TDs against WCU

AND...

2nd and 17 at CIT20
Jordan Black pass complete to Tyler Renew for 15 yards to the CIT35

2nd and 10 at CIT40
Jordan Black pass complete to Reggie Williams for 25 yards to the MER35, 1ST DOWN CIT

...leading to...

4th and 3 at MER18
Cody Clark field goal attempt from 35 GOOD, clock 02:20.

TOTAL
16 plays , 65 yards Time of Possession: 7:09

SCORE: The Citadel 24-23 Mercer

40 yards in 2 plays of the game winning final 65 yard drive were gained with passes
The other 13 running plays in that drive gained 25 yards (1.9 yards/attempt)

Also, on an earlier 5 play El Cid TD Scoring drive, almost half of the yards gained and the only 1st down made on the drive was via a pass (9 of the total 21 yards)(4 rushes for 12 yards - 3.0 yds/attempt).

How soon you forget?

Yep, I'd say those 3 passes were EXTREMELY punishing to the other Team in this game!

CID1990
October 4th, 2016, 06:49 PM
The El Cid game with North Greenville has been moved to North Greenville this Thursday.

Doubtful there will be an ESPN3 feed now.

walliver
October 4th, 2016, 07:12 PM
The El Cid game with North Greenville has been moved to North Greenville this Thursday.

Doubtful there will be an ESPN3 feed now.

There are a fair number of D2 games on ESPN3, although as an independent, NGU may not have the equipment. Hopefully they can make it work as stadium capacity is only 5000.

catamount man
October 4th, 2016, 07:19 PM
http://www.nguathletics.com/football/news/2016-17/4423/hurricane-matthew-forces-ngu-vs-citadel-football-game-to-tigerville/

I don't see how NG handles this but kudos to them for stepping up on this one.

CID1990
October 4th, 2016, 07:27 PM
There are a fair number of D2 games on ESPN3, although as an independent, NGU may not have the equipment. Hopefully they can make it work as stadium capacity is only 5000.

It does look like they have their own video feed. Maybe ESPN3 would pick it up but either way it will be nice to watch- especially since I'll be in Norfolk this weekend and wasn't going to be able to watch the game on Sat

ElCid
October 4th, 2016, 07:29 PM
The Citadel is moving their game to D2 North Greenville. Should make for a mildly interesting side story. I wonder how the players will handle all the shuffling around?

Yeah, I saw that. That was the least likely in my mind but the governor made their mind up for them. Luckily I am leaving tomorrow to go back to the mountains with Mother in law in tow. N Greenville is just 30 or so miles so we will be there on Thursday.

kdinva
October 4th, 2016, 07:43 PM

I wonder if CSU even considered looking into moving their game w/D2 Albany St. to their faclility, vs. postponing/cancelling? xconfusedx

Albany St. may have a better venue......

ElCid
October 4th, 2016, 07:48 PM
I wonder if CSU even considered looking into moving their game w/D2 Albany St. to their faclility, vs. postponing/cancelling? xconfusedx

Albany St. may have a better venue......

No "may" about it...they do.

ElCid
October 4th, 2016, 07:54 PM
AND...

2nd and 17 at CIT20
Jordan Black pass complete to Tyler Renew for 15 yards to the CIT35

2nd and 10 at CIT40
Jordan Black pass complete to Reggie Williams for 25 yards to the MER35, 1ST DOWN CIT

...leading to...

4th and 3 at MER18
Cody Clark field goal attempt from 35 GOOD, clock 02:20.

TOTAL
16 plays , 65 yards Time of Possession: 7:09

SCORE: The Citadel 24-23 Mercer

40 yards in 2 plays of the game winning final 65 yard drive were gained with passes
The other 13 running plays in that drive gained 25 yards (1.9 yards/attempt)

Also, on an earlier 5 play El Cid TD Scoring drive, almost half of the yards gained and the only 1st down made on the drive was via a pass (9 of the total 21 yards)(4 rushes for 12 yards - 3.0 yds/attempt).

How soon you forget?

Yep, I'd say those 3 passes were EXTREMELY punishing to the other Team in this game!

Yeah but we also had nice tosses in each of the Furman and G-W games as well on the crucial drives.

kdinva
October 4th, 2016, 08:26 PM
No "may" about it...they do.

just found albany state's facility on Bing Maps........looks to seat about 8,000

CID1990
October 4th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Yeah but we also had nice tosses in each of the Furman and G-W games as well on the crucial drives.

The thing is- 3 years ago we threw the ball on 3rd and 24 or when there was 4 minutes left in the game and we were down by 10.

Even with Samford putting 11 literally inside the box a couple years ago we still ran the dive.

Now the pass is a part of the game plan, and the minute the DBs and LBs start cheating we will throw it every time. Our redshirt frosh has a pretty accurate arm, too. Dom still throws a little low but also completes them when we need them.

ElCid
October 4th, 2016, 10:05 PM
The thing is- 3 years ago we threw the ball on 3rd and 24 or when there was 4 minutes left in the game and we were down by 10.

Even with Samford putting 11 literally inside the box a couple years ago we still ran the dive.

Now the pass is a part of the game plan, and the minute the DBs and LBs start cheating we will throw it every time. Our redshirt frosh has a pretty accurate arm, too. Dom still throws a little low but also completes them when we need them.

Bingo. I actually like the timing of some of those passes. I like Jordan Blacks southpaw arm. But you can see he is simply not seasoned enough yet. Dom is not as good of a passer mechanics' wise, but I think he handles himself better.

chattanoogamocs
October 5th, 2016, 03:03 AM
Seats 1,000 more than Charleston Southern and looks nicer too...

Younts Stadium is the home of the North Greenville University Football Team. Constructed in 2005, the Stadium seats 5,000 fans, including 4,000 seats on the home side and 1,000 on the visitors. Younts Stadium is located in the North Greenville Athletic Complex, directly across highway 414 from the main North Greenville Campus. Fogle Field, located inside of Younts Stadium, is equipped with the latest artificial field turf technology from APT Americas, the global leader in high performance engineered sports surfaces.http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o549/ngcrusaders/Younts_zps4298474a.jpg

FUBeAR
October 5th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Bingo. I actually like the timing of some of those passes. I like Jordan Blacks southpaw arm. But you can see he is simply not seasoned enough yet. Dom is not as good of a passer mechanics' wise, but I think he handles himself better.

http://www.cadets.ca/assets/Cadets/images/Atlantic/greenwood-hugs.jpg

CID1990
October 5th, 2016, 11:55 AM
http://www.cadets.ca/assets/Cadets/images/Atlantic/greenwood-hugs.jpg

You should probably start obsessing about UTC there, Lance.

Milktruck74
October 5th, 2016, 12:01 PM
If they were from Mercer they would be back to front....

Toby
October 5th, 2016, 12:58 PM
If they were from Mercer they would be back to front....

Going with gutter jokes now?

Milktruck74
October 5th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Going with gutter jokes now?

Just keeping it at a level Bears fans on your board will be able to understand.

Mocs123
October 5th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Samford 38 - I expected this game to be competitive, but I think with all the injuries and adversity, this Paladin team is a shell of its potential self, the Bulldogs go to Greenville and come out with the win.
Furman 14

ETSU 13 - VMI wins at home over a scrappy ETSU team
VMI 24

Mercer 24 - Game of the Week - Both Mercer and Chattanooga games have been determined by one score so I think this keeps that trend, but the Mocs keep the pesky Bears at bay on Homecoming Day.
Chattanooga 28

North Greenville 3 - The Citadel starts thinking about Chattanooga before the first quarter is over
The Citadel 42

Wofford 31 - Western’s offense rebounds a bit, but they just can’t stop the Terriers
Western Carolina 24

Rankings -
1.) Chattanooga - Took care of business against ETSU
2.) The Citadel - Beat a talented but reeling Western team on the Road
3.) Samford - Responded to the Chattanooga loss, by beating a good Wofford Team
4.) Mercer - It wasn’t pretty, but they beat a better than usual VMI team
5.) Wofford - Put up a good fight against Sammy, but in the end didn’t get it done.
6.) VMI - The Keydets are proving they will be competitive this year
7.) Western Carolina - Very talented team, but the defense keeps letting them down.
8.) ETSU - Better than everyone thought, but may have hit the wall a little bit
9. Furman - I never thought I would rank Furman last in the SoCon, but at 0-5, I am not sure where else to put them.

moc n tn1991
October 5th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Here we go for week 6.

The Citadel over N. Greenville, 37-10.
Greenville was nice enough to say they would host the game, and so the Bulldogs go ahead and accept their hospitallity and more.
Samford over Furman, 34-24.
Samford tries to keep their post season hopes alive with a win, but (maybe) Furman hasn't given up just yet.
ETSU over VMI, 24-17.
ETSU is putting together a good season so far. They keep up their winning ways with a close one win VMI.
Chattanooga over Mercer, 31-17.
Mercer has played some very tight games so far, but Chattanooga will be focused and ready to play from the start, and not just try to run out the clock.
Wofford over Western Carolina, 28-17.
Wofford has played well on the road, and will come away with another win.

catamount man
October 5th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Amazing that the opinion of one lone poster regarding which game is "game of the week" status turned this thread into the pissing contest I've been reading.

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2016, 03:46 AM
I guess this is this week's 'SoCon Pick'em' Thread...and I gotta do it now cuz the Bellhops didn't want to even try to overcome the hurricane...:p

Last Week...3-2
* Chattanooga at ETSU - 42-7 - Actual = Chatt won 37-7 - OK, Coach Huesman called off the snakes/shoes/trains/birds a bit earlier than I expected.
* Mercer at VMI - 31-17 - Actual = Bears won 33-30 - bogus called back TD would have made this one 31-20 with about 3 min. to play - Refs even messin' wit my score predictions
* Kennesaw State at Furman - 35-10 - Actual = Owls won 52-42 - Called for an FU "Breakout Game" - D broke out in hives 1st half and O broke out (some) in 2nd; so I was right - xbawlingx
* Wofford at Samford - 24-21 - Actual = Sammy 28-26 - Glad to be wrong on this one; did get the margin almost right though...sorta
* The Citadel at Western Carolina - 42-17 - Actual = El Cid wins 37-14 - Missed on the score a bit, but Boys of Samsonite did get the BIG road win I expected

19-10 - .655 for the season - My purple-tinted lenses are hurting my record

This Week...
* Samford at Furman - 45-0 - gonna party like it's 1979 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwWjx7Cw8I
* ETSU at VMI - 38-17 - Keydets air assault and SealTeam-type D is too much for upstart Bucs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkH5Ak4wAnY
* Mercer at Chattanooga - 17-14 - I once read the best predictor of the near future is the most recent past - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtLNgbeln1g
* North Greenville at The Citadel at North Greenville - 42-35 - tougher than expected, surprisingly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENc4v0wyBp4
* Wofford at Western Carolina - 28-24 - After emotional loss, RatDogs struggle against beleaguered, but proud Cantamounts D. Cats are bounced again, but, gain confidence back for their trip to Maconga next week - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtA7n1QSnMQ

Power rankings
1. Chattanooga - Can solidify this position in the next 2 weeks...or not
2, The Citadel - I really hate putting them here every week.
3. Mercer - Moved up with Woffy's loss to Sammy. Chance to move up (or down) BIG this week - for now, solidly in SoCon's 3rd Playoff spot
4. Samford - Moved up after edging out PorchMutts. Still, the bad loss to Chatt keeps them in this spot - Good news though (for now) - Sitting in SoCon's 4th Playoff spot
5, Wofford - Don't fall far with their close loss to Sammy - this is a GOOD Football Team
6. VMI - Moved up 1 with closer than expected (or needed to be) loss to #3 Mercer
7. Furman - FU Channels my 1979 Paladins this week and starts their uphill climb; so we'll leave 'em right here before moving them up next week
8. ETSU - Bucs, last week, lost the 2nd of 4 in a row that they will lose. If they can upset the solid Keydets, they may move up
9. Western Carolina - surprised at their performance so far - predicting some gained confidence this week and maybe they start to claw their way back up the ladder...or not

ElCid
October 6th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I guess this is this week's 'SoCon Pick'em' Thread...and I gotta do it now cuz the Bellhops didn't want to even try to overcome the hurricane...:p

* North Greenville at The Citadel at North Greenville - 42-35 - tougher than expected, surprisingly

On paper, should not even be close. However, I can't help think back to 1989 when a hurricane had my Dogs take their eyes off the ball. Not necessarily on the game day, but in its aftermath. On game day, as Hugo churned inland, we smacked Navy. And the Dogs stayed focused a the next week beating SC St up in Columbia after our stadium was trashed. But we went downhill from there. Apparently too many distractions, too many road games. Right now my Dogs are only about 15 miles from me as the crow flies staying in a summer camp of all places. I really hope they stay focused. The only bonus is that I get to drive down the mountain to go to the game, although afterwards driving up the side of the mountain at night on 10 miles of switchbacks is always fun.

And this damn storm may do a do-si-do and come right back at Charleston next week in time for the UTC game.

moc n tn1991
October 6th, 2016, 11:10 AM
We don't mind doing the right thing and playing the game at Finley next week so we won't have to cancel because of weather.

ElCid
October 6th, 2016, 12:23 PM
We don't mind doing the right thing and playing the game at Finley next week so we won't have to cancel because of weather.

I sure hope that thing just fizzles out. With Parents Day being moved to next week, it will be a full house for sure. We could get 15K for the game. They have 3000 seats all refurbished on the visitor's side. Folks just shouldn't eat the paint chips outside of that.

CID1990
October 6th, 2016, 01:04 PM
North Greenville has given FCS teams fits in recent history. The game could be closer than many people think.

That said, if the D spends as much time in their backfield as they did in WCU's it won't be pretty.

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2016, 01:14 PM
They have 3000 seats all refurbished on the visitor's side. Folks just shouldn't eat the paint chips outside of that.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tYBUrL__jPE/TeVRw1TDVZI/AAAAAAAAIlA/k4d2Xjneh58/s1600/lead-paint-chip-yummy.jpg

DUTCH BOY PAINT CHIPS
Now available at the Johnson Hagood Stadium Concession Stands (Visitors Side ONLY)

moc n tn1991
October 6th, 2016, 02:09 PM
I sure hope that thing just fizzles out. With Parents Day being moved to next week, it will be a full house for sure. We could get 15K for the game. They have 3000 seats all refurbished on the visitor's side. Folks just shouldn't eat the paint chips outside of that.

They should be ok as long as they don't think they are a new flavor of potato chip.

CID1990
October 6th, 2016, 04:15 PM
They should be ok as long as they don't think they are a new flavor of potato chip.

That was a problem when GSU and Marshall used to come to town but not anymore

moc n tn1991
October 6th, 2016, 04:32 PM
xthumbsupx That's for sure

walliver
October 6th, 2016, 04:58 PM
That was a problem when GSU and Marshall used to come to town but not anymore

That really wasn't a problem. Lead causes brain damage, but it's hard to measure damage when they arrived damaged.

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Nice quality stream from NGU...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/north-greenville-university-athletics

21-14 The Citadel at the half

catamount man
October 6th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Damn. North Greenville putting up fight than my CATS did against Citadel............wow. Thanks for the link.

kdinva
October 6th, 2016, 08:54 PM
That really wasn't a problem. Lead causes brain damage, but it's hard to measure damage when they arrived damaged.

is their pee wall lead?

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2016, 09:05 PM
is their pee wall lead?

I don't know, but I'm sure there are more than a few Marshall, GaSou, and Appy fans who can provide that info for you. I've heard many of them preferred eating their paint chips moist.

longtimemocfan
October 7th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Almost nailed Mercer,VMI game. 27-24 with 19 seconds left. Mercer prevailing in o.t.

Chattanooga
The Citadel
Samford
Wofford
Mercer
VMI
ETSU
WCU
Furman

VMI-27 ETSU-17
Samford-35 Furman-28
Wofford-31 WCU-14
Chattanooga-38 Mercer-21

FUBeAR
October 7th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Almost nailed Mercer,VMI game. 27-24 with 19 seconds left. Mercer prevailing in o.t.

Mecer @ VMI - VMI at home 27-24.

Yeah, you did...the SoCon Officials got you too, though, with the BAD late hit call on VMI that enabled Mercer to send it to OT. Don't be too mad at them for that ONE though. They made at least 2 other BAD calls on Mercer which put the score where it was; instead of 31-20 in Mercer's favor. Maybe you had the foresight and experience to anticipate the 1st 2 awful calls, but didn't think they could possibly be that BAD as to make that last terrible call.

Takeaway Lesson: Never sell SoCon Football Officials short on their ability to make HORRENDOUS calls that directly impact the scoring and the outcomes of games. They'll always outperform your expectations!

kdinva
October 7th, 2016, 11:22 AM
....Takeaway Lesson: Never sell SoCon Football Officials short on their ability to make HORRENDOUS calls that directly impact the scoring and the outcomes of games. They'll always outperform your expectations!

xbowx

Toby
October 7th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Yeah, you did...the SoCon Officials got you too, though, with the BAD late hit call on VMI that enabled Mercer to send it to OT. Don't be too mad at them for that ONE though. They made at least 2 other BAD calls on Mercer which put the score where it was; instead of 31-20 in Mercer's favor. Maybe you had the foresight and experience to anticipate the 1st 2 awful calls, but didn't think they could possibly be that BAD as to make that last terrible call.

Takeaway Lesson: Never sell SoCon Football Officials short on their ability to make HORRENDOUS calls that directly impact the scoring and the outcomes of games. They'll always outperform your expectations!

Hmmmm. So are we suppose to assume all bad, horrible, no good calls split 50/50? Or does the SoCon head office expect the refs to favor certain teams over other certain teams which then in turns influences the balance of bad, horrible, no good calls?

longtimemocfan
October 7th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Officiating is what it is in the SoCon, but in general it seems like the home team gets the beneficiary of the bogus calls.... The two from my vantage point that I remember the most were both against Ga.Southern in back to back years. 2012 Faysal Shafaat (TE) blatantly pushes off a defender in the end zone to haul in a 4th down desperation pass from Jacob Huesman that everybody in the stadium but the officials saw to force a 2nd O.T. 2013 not once, but twice officials call back a scoring pass play by Jacob Huesman (ineligible receiver downfield) The 2nd call probably cost us the game. Clearly not a penalty. So their you go.

FUBeAR
October 7th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Hmmmm. So are we suppose to assume all bad, horrible, no good calls split 50/50? Or does the SoCon head office expect the refs to favor certain teams over other certain teams which then in turns influences the balance of bad, horrible, no good calls?

Are you trying to take the 'fun' out of it? How & how much the SoCon Officials choose to take over and impact each game with their ridiculous calls is the 'X Factor' that you have to cipher out when you're making your weekly SoCon picks and/or 'investments.'

catamount man
October 7th, 2016, 05:37 PM
SoCon officials have always sucked. I'm talking decades. GO CATS!!!

Mocs123
October 7th, 2016, 06:07 PM
All bad calls go against Mercer.

(Just kidding- I couldn't help it)

I do remember a bad call against us in GSU that cost us the game and the playoffs that year ~2013?

longtimemocfan
October 7th, 2016, 10:04 PM

I do remember a bad call against us in GSU that cost us the game and the playoffs that year ~2013?

Yes, in Statesboro.

CID1990
October 8th, 2016, 12:01 AM

You may be kidding

But we paid the SoCon refs to hate Mercer and to call lots of penalties on them

I've been exposed

moc n tn1991
October 8th, 2016, 05:13 AM
Is that the Go Fund Me account, BeatMercer, you're talking about?

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2016, 11:23 AM
I always like how fans of every league think their particular refs are the worst...it's universal, from your kids pee wee league all the way up to the NFL. :)

ElCid
October 8th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I always like how fans of every league think their particular refs are the worst...it's universal, from your kids pee wee league all the way up to the NFL. :)

But ours really are the worst...aren't they?xrotatehx

longtimemocfan
October 8th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Chattanooga started the conference I believe in 1977. I guess after so many years on this level of officiating you become conditioned to it. What's funny in basketball you actually can get some really good officials to call a game during the week when teams from the big conferences aren't playing. On Saturday you can forget it. The officiating is watered down and you can tell the different level.

kdinva
October 8th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Here we go for week 6.
ETSU over VMI, 24-17. .

xnonox

BullDog85
October 8th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Mercer is laying an egg right now. 38-3 at end of 1st half against Mockingbirds.

moc n tn1991
October 8th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Mercer is laying an egg right now. 38-3 at end of 1st half against Mockingbirds.

Mocs D too much for Mercer so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utcfan
October 8th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Nice 52-31 win by UTC. Coach won't be happy with all the 2nd half points the Mocs gave up.

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2016, 06:33 PM

Mercer did not lay an egg. Chattanoga pummeled them.

Milktruck74
October 8th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Nice 52-31 win by UTC. Coach won't be happy with all the 2nd half points the Mocs gave up.

Mercer prides themselves on a balanced attack. In the middle of the third it was pretty balanced with 55 passing yards and 38 rushing yards....I guess the Mocs D is THAT GOOD.

ElCid
October 8th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Mercer prides themselves on a balanced attack. In the middle of the third it was pretty balanced with 55 passing yards and 38 rushing yards....I guess the Mocs D is THAT GOOD.

Yeah, I guess Mercer will blast to the world how they scored 28 second half points on you. Too bad you guys checked out in the second half. I think the last three TDs they scored were against your scrubs. It was a great performance by the Mocs. Easily the best of the year. Sure hope you got it out of your system.xthumbsupx I was actually hoping you drilled the Bears. Hopefully the Mocs will be full of themselves come next Saturday.

moc n tn1991
October 8th, 2016, 07:15 PM
I don't think Coach will let that happen. How did Charleston fair with the hurricane?

Milktruck74
October 8th, 2016, 07:17 PM
I'll go ahead and say Mocs @ The Citadel is the GAME OF THE WEEK!!!!!......and so far Chattanooga hasn't played any real teams yet!!!!!!

ElCid
October 8th, 2016, 07:35 PM
I'll go ahead and say Mocs @ The Citadel is the GAME OF THE WEEK!!!!!......and so far Chattanooga hasn't played any real teams yet!!!!!!

Yeah, I don't think that will be in doubt, for the SOCON and for all of FCS.

citdog
October 8th, 2016, 08:43 PM
slippers vs low quarters at General Hagood's House on Sat! With the SCCC and our fans we couldn't ask for more.

Mocs123
October 8th, 2016, 08:54 PM
We played lights out in the first half and didn't play all that great in the second half. We did play our 2nd string the entire 4th quarter.

Mercer isn't a bad team. I have always thought your QB is good. He didn't have a great game today, but he is one of the best in the league. He isn't going to put up big numbers like Cobb or Hodges, but you can tell he is a leader and rarely makes mistakes. That #8 wideout is really good as well.

HUGE game next week for the Mocs!