PDA

View Full Version : The Three Tiers Of the Patriot League

DFW HOYA
October 1st, 2016, 07:57 PM
The Patriot League would like to think of itself as en egalitarian football conference, but nearing the midway point of year four with scholarships, three tiers appear to have hardened for the foreseeable future:

1. The Contenders (Lehigh, Fordham, Colgate); No surprise, perhaps, that the school with the three largest budgets appear to be the three that will compete for the PL's playoff bid for the forseeable future. And given that the PL hasn't earned the reputation of being a multi-bid conference, that's likely to be a one or (occasionally) two bid conference going forward. Expect these schools' football budgets to top $6-7 million within a few years.

2. The Aspirants (Holy Cross, Lafayette, Bucknell): These schools are spending lots of money to finish 4-7 and 5-6 every year. Not enough strength in recruiting and head coaching concerns are keeping these schools a distinct step back of the other three.

3. The Third Wheel (Georgetown): After 16 years in the league, Georgetown is no closer to competing for the title than when they arrived and is resigned to the fact that they cannot do so, so why spend $3 million more just to finish sixth? Football at Georgetown is comparable to basketball at Army: good kids, 110% effort, but it can't recruit and is nowhere close to the talent level needed to contend. Absent a call from the Ivy League as a football-only affiliate, Georgetown seems content where they are and the PL has no leadership to force the issue either way.

KPSUL
October 1st, 2016, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately it looks like none of your 3 Tier 1 schools will be ranked Top 25 this week.

Lehigh'98
October 1st, 2016, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately it looks like none of your 3 Tier 1 schools will be ranked Top 25 this week.

Deservedly so.

KPSUL
October 1st, 2016, 08:44 PM
Deservedly so.

The N'g'neers are darn close. Villanova was a "good" loss and Monmouth looks like a solid team - Close losses to both. Three solid win over Ivies. Considering how they dismantled Dartmouth Friday night, Penn might be the class of the Ivy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 1st, 2016, 10:13 PM
Deservedly so.

Beat Colgate and they'll be ranked imo. And deservedly so...until then I agree. They'll receive some points in the AGS poll this week imo....

ngineer
October 1st, 2016, 10:23 PM
Beat Colgate and they'll be ranked imo. And deservedly so...until then I agree. They'll receive some points in the AGS poll this week imo....

Yes, this coming week should really tell us something, unless one of teams gets "too hyped" and lays and egg. Winner will have inside track to the PL crown. The two Lehigh losses, in addition to being very early, were one very good team and one with a solid team. No question in my mind that we would beat Monmouth by 2-3 TD's right now. We just tripped over ourselves sleep walking in the first half of the first game and woke up too late. Plus, from what I saw today, Mayes may be #1 QB for the next 2.5 years.

PAllen
October 1st, 2016, 10:39 PM
No PL team deserves to be ranked. Not this week, not next. We'll see in three weeks where we are.

NY Crusader 2010
October 2nd, 2016, 12:55 AM
Agree - you'd have to rank Cornell and Monmouth ahead of anyone in the PL right now. Any chance the Big Red get love this week at 3-0?

LUHawker
October 2nd, 2016, 09:47 AM
Plus, from what I saw today, Mayes may be #1 QB for the next 2.5 years.

I think you should be correct, but doubtful that stubborn-Coen won't see it. If Andy won't make Mayes the starter, I'd be content with at least mixing Mayes in for a few series a game to keep the opposing defenses honest.

UNHWildcat18
October 2nd, 2016, 10:27 AM
Monmouth PL champs 2016

CatsWin
October 2nd, 2016, 02:09 PM
Lehigh is definitely the top team in Tier 1. They looked impressive against Nova.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 3rd, 2016, 12:55 AM
Lehigh is definitely the top team in Tier 1. They looked impressive against Nova.

They need to prove it this week against Colgate. Next to Lafayette, the Raiders are Lehigh's second biggest rival and it's not really close imo. Lehigh had 4 downs from the 'Gate 10 last year with the PL Title on the line and couldn't get it done in the 49-42 loss. I'm sure both units want redemption.

I'm so stoked for Saturday! Colgate will be pissed off and ready to go. This will be an absolute battle. The only problem is it's being played a month too soon! :(

Holy Cross can build up some equity by stomping Bucknell. The Crusaders have the talent but lack the direction. They're the wildcard imo....