PDA

View Full Version : Week 5 Attendance

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2016, 10:09 PM
7,138 narcoleptics at drizzly Harvard Stadium watched the underwhelming Crimson win over DC Jesuit.

Schism55
September 30th, 2016, 10:17 PM
7,138 narcoleptics at drizzly Harvard Stadium watched the underwhelming Crimson win over DC Jesuit.
LOL
Who are they trying to sell that load of horse**** to?

Sader87
September 30th, 2016, 10:38 PM
LOL
Who are they trying to sell that load of horse**** to?

Yeah, two of the finest universities in the country playing against one another in one of the most historic stadiums....what were they thinking???

Schism55
September 30th, 2016, 10:45 PM
If you watched the game, as I did, you would know there was no way in hell 20% of that # was present.

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2016, 03:33 AM
If you watched the game, as I did, you would know there was no way in hell 20% of that # was present.
That's 138 in the Stadium, 7,000 ticket holders who never made it in from the tailgate...:D

Schism55
October 1st, 2016, 10:51 AM
That's 138 in the Stadium, 7,000 ticket holders who never made it in from the tailgate...:D
This man knows what is up xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
October 1st, 2016, 11:28 AM

If you were at the game (which I was, just got back into town), the breakdown was largely as follows:

Georgetown (visitors side): 200
Harvard (home side); 600
Harvard (above the colonnade): 400
End zone: 0
Harvard students: <50

I'd guess 1200 and change. I parked in the HBS lot and it was a third-full, if that.

th0m
October 1st, 2016, 03:53 PM
25236 @ Bridgeforth today.

Vermont
October 1st, 2016, 05:00 PM
More than 21,000 in Durham for UNH Homecoming at the new Wildcat Stadium.

Mattymc727
October 1st, 2016, 05:37 PM
More than 21,000 in Durham for UNH Homecoming at the new Wildcat Stadium.

21,942 announced. Looked like about 5000 actually stayed to watch in the downpour.

BEAR
October 1st, 2016, 06:36 PM
4215 to see UCA visit ACU.

Dont know now where they were during the game though. TV clearly showed 500 tops with probably more UCA fans there. xlolx

SFA 93
October 1st, 2016, 09:53 PM
27,411 for the BOTPW another record high.

ngineer
October 1st, 2016, 10:04 PM
Will be interesting to see what the "official" attendance at the Yale Bowl was for Lehigh v. Yale. I would be shocked if more than 1,200 were in the stands, almost half were wearing Brown and White. Threat of rain, which never materialized, I am sure had some effect, but I could not believe the lack of attendance by the Eli. Why do they spend so much money renovating that crater?

ASU33
October 1st, 2016, 10:27 PM
56,184 for the State Fair Classic at the Cotton Bowl between Grambling and Prairie View.

catamount man
October 1st, 2016, 10:29 PM
12,283 in Cullowhee today for WCU-Citadel. Even with the usual "band crowd" exit after halftime, it was still a decent group that stayed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 1st, 2016, 10:34 PM
Will be interesting to see what the "official" attendance at the Yale Bowl was for Lehigh v. Yale. I would be shocked if more than 1,200 were in the stands, almost half were wearing Brown and White. Threat of rain, which never materialized, I am sure had some effect, but I could not believe the lack of attendance by the Eli. Why do they spend so much money renovating that crater?

The official attendance was listed at 2,196. That seems about right imo. It was a sparse crowd in such a cavernous stadium. It was over 16k when I was there in '04.

ngineer
October 1st, 2016, 10:43 PM
The official attendance was listed at 2,196. That seems about right imo. It was a sparse crowd in such a cavernous stadium. It was over 16k when I was there in '04.

I bet that number reflects tickets sold, with a good number not showing due to threat of rain. In a 60,000 seat stadium, and the excellent, but blaring sound system, it was somewhat eerie.

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2016, 10:44 PM
14,155 in Brookings for the SDSU/WIU game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red & Black
October 1st, 2016, 11:01 PM
10,741 in Cheney today to watch the romp over UC Davis.

TTUEagles
October 1st, 2016, 11:23 PM
Just over 7 Grand to see TTU beat EKU.

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2016, 12:30 AM
NDSU ISUr drew

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 02:12 AM
Mississippi Valley State @ Jackson State 18,083

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 02:15 AM
Savannah State v FAMU 16,923

Catsfan90
October 2nd, 2016, 02:18 AM
21,942 announced. Looked like about 5000 actually stayed to watch in the downpour.
Idk how they get away with this every year......

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 02:42 AM
14,195 in Montgomery to see Bama State get win #1 on the season against Arkansas Pine-Bluff

Dane96
October 2nd, 2016, 08:28 AM

Yeah, when I heard the announced figure...I laughed. HARD.

The official stadium capacity is just north of 11,000...and that includes the berm. Heck, even if it doesn't include the berm, that's maybe 3,000 more people (maximum).

It's pretty clear they did a "look test" of the awesome UNH tailgating, which anyone from New England knows is pretty awesome for big UNH games. I am not pooh pooing UNH (one of my favorite all-time schools) Football. I find it hard to believe nearly 22,000 people were tailgating.

Just the Athletic Department's total thumbing the nose at realism. If they had announced 15-16,000...it would be believable.

Stating an attendance number that nearly doubles official stadium capacity. xcrazyx

Catsfan90
October 2nd, 2016, 08:54 AM

The official stadium capacity is just north of 11,000...and that includes the berm. Heck, even if it doesn't include the berm, that's maybe 3,000 more people (maximum).

It's pretty clear they did a "look test" of the awesome UNH tailgating, which anyone from New England knows is pretty awesome for big UNH games. I am not pooh pooing UNH (one of my favorite all-time schools) Football. I find it hard to believe nearly 22,000 people were tailgating.

Just the Athletic Department's total thumbing the nose at realism. If they had announced 15-16,000...it would be believable.

Stating an attendance number that nearly doubles official stadium capacity. xcrazyx

They obviously based it on tickets sold. Due to a new rule by the Athletics department, students cannot drive into boulder field without a general admission ticket. So those sell out fast. I wouldn't doubt they sold that many tickets. But due to the awful weather, I am sure nowhere near that amount showed up. I was at boulder and it was almost all students, and it wasn't even full to capacity.

grizband
October 2nd, 2016, 09:42 AM
26,092 at Washington-Grizzly yesterday

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Dane96
October 2nd, 2016, 10:02 AM
They obviously based it on tickets sold. Due to a new rule by the Athletics department, students cannot drive into boulder field without a general admission ticket. So those sell out fast. I wouldn't doubt they sold that many tickets. But due to the awful weather, I am sure nowhere near that amount showed up. I was at boulder and it was almost all students, and it wasn't even full to capacity.

Clearly based on tickets sold. But to count the tailgating tickets is crazy, and something that blew my mind when they instituted the rule (needing to buy tailgate tickets). Those people can't "see the game". Why not just list attendance as the total number of people in Durham for the day. It's just as arbitrary.

Catsfan90
October 2nd, 2016, 10:06 AM
Clearly based on tickets sold. But to count the tailgating tickets is crazy, and something that blew my mind when they instituted the rule (needing to buy tailgate tickets). Those people can't "see the game". Why not just list attendance as the total number of people in Durham for the day. It's just as arbitrary.

I think what really bothered me about it was the fact they called it a record. Meaning that it will now be listed for years to come. How can you call it a record when it clearly wasn't true.

UNHWildcat18
October 2nd, 2016, 10:30 AM
I mean how much does it matter really? Next year we will probably fill the stadium to 11k with nice weather and still have 10k sitting at the tailgate. Rain ruined it this year otherwise the place would have been packed to the brim

NY Crusader 2010
October 2nd, 2016, 10:59 AM
I think what really bothered me about it was the fact they called it a record. Meaning that it will now be listed for years to come. How can you call it a record when it clearly wasn't true.

I believe one of you guys posted on the Holy Cross board that UNH requires everyone entering the tailgate area to buy a ticket to the game for Homecoming. This would probably explain the erroneous figure. 5K in the stands and 16K drinking prosecco and eating hot dogs under a tent.

Schism55
October 2nd, 2016, 12:57 PM
I believe one of you guys posted on the Holy Cross board that UNH requires everyone entering the tailgate area to buy a ticket to the game for Homecoming. This would probably explain the erroneous figure. 5K in the stands and 16K drinking prosecco and eating hot dogs under a tent.
Haha, man that cracked me up.

RootinFerDukes
October 2nd, 2016, 01:09 PM

Isn't the new unh capacity in the ballpark of 12-13k? I'd love to see the school explain that number.
If we're counting people in the vicinity of campus as numbers, then JMU had at least a 40k crowd yesterday.

NDSUtk
October 2nd, 2016, 01:18 PM
14,155 in Brookings for the SDSU/WIU game

Ouch. The extra seats may not have been needed...

CatsWin
October 2nd, 2016, 01:22 PM
10,424 at Elon Stadium watching the Phoenix and Villanova. For the second weekend in a row, the Wildcats spoiled a Family Weekend for the home team.

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2016, 01:31 PM
Ouch. The extra seats may not have been needed...

This has been gone over, but let's do this again I guess. First the stadium was built for the future. Our average attendance last year was 12,899. So this game still had over our average last year, and was the poorest attended game so far. This game in CAS, after the loss to an unranked (at the time) Cal Poly team would have drawn 10,000 if we were lucky. Also, we need the extra seats for big games like USD, Hobo Day, and the Marker game. We never have had consistently huge crowds. We're building up to that. We don't have the tradition or success of a Montana or a NDSU. I think we've only been ranked in the top five maybe once. Maybe. The Missouri State game might be even lower attended if we lose to NDSU. But I would expect Hobo Day and the USD game to both be sell outs, or darn close. Had we won against cal Poly this would likely have been closer to 16,000 at the game. I understand it's difficult for a lot of NDSU fans to comprehend, because you have never had to play catch up like this. But that's the reality of the situation.

NDSUtk
October 2nd, 2016, 01:37 PM
This has been gone over, but let's do this again I guess. First the stadium was built for the future. Our average attendance last year was 12,899. So this game still had over our average last year, and was the poorest attended game so far. This game in CAS, after the loss to an unranked (at the time) Cal Poly team would have drawn 10,000 if we were lucky. Also, we need the extra seats for big games like USD, Hobo Day, and the Marker game. We never have had consistently huge crowds. We're building up to that. We don't have the tradition or success of a Montana or a NDSU. I think we've only been ranked in the top five maybe once. Maybe. The Missouri State game might be even lower attended if we lose to NDSU. But I would expect Hobo Day and the USD game to both be sell outs, or darn close. Had we won against cal Poly this would likely have been closer to 16,000 at the game. I understand it's difficult for a lot of NDSU fans to comprehend, because you have never had to play catch up like this. But that's the reality of the situation.

Didn't mean to set you off. Just was noting it's an interesting situation since you expanded. And actually, NDSU didn't fill the stadium every game not that long ago. I just quickly pulled up 2008 season and we had a couple thousand seats open for some of the home games. So no, it's not hard for NDSU fans to relate.

LeeshaJo
October 2nd, 2016, 03:58 PM
I guess for me to put in perspective what the new stadium has done in terms of attendance at South Dakota State just compare numbers.... last season in six home games the Jacks averaged 12,899 per game. This year after three home games we are averaging 15,404. A positive increase of 2,500 per game average. That to me is pretty telling, and honestly, our two biggest games (In terms of attendance) Homecoming and USD are still to be played. I think when the season is said and done our average attendance will be north of 16,000 and a net increase of 3,000 per game.

You tell me which school wouldn't be thrilled with a net increase of 3,000 fans per game?

Also, when you build a new stadium, you don't build it to be full on opening day, you build it to support the fan base that is going to grow with your product.

Go Green
October 2nd, 2016, 05:22 PM
A little shy of 6K to watch Dartmouth lay an egg against Penn in Hanover.

Guys on the Ivy board said that the game was scheduled the same time as fraternity and sorority rush at Dartmouth. So that probably cost us 1,000 in student attendance (and the student section did look thin on television).

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 06:13 PM
4,825 for Alabama A&M @ Texas Southern

melloware13
October 2nd, 2016, 07:42 PM
Isn't the new unh capacity in the ballpark of 12-13k? I'd love to see the school explain that number.
If we're counting people in the vicinity of campus as numbers, then JMU had at least a 40k crowd yesterday.

Don't sell yourselves short, and count every vehicle that passes on 81 as being full. Semis get 150 people.

dakotadan
October 2nd, 2016, 10:22 PM
10,097 in the Alerus Center to see UND beat #16 Cal Poly.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/dakotadan/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140906_151236220.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/dakotadan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140906_151236220.jpg.html)

RootinFerDukes
October 3rd, 2016, 06:58 AM
Don't sell yourselves short, and count every vehicle that passes on 81 as being full. Semis get 150 people.

As long as old people with oxygen tanks and walkers get to count as 1.5 people at UD stadium.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 3rd, 2016, 09:56 AM
Idk how they get away with this every year......

What is most likely true is that 21,942 tickets were sold. The game was announced as a sell out on Friday. I was at an event on Friday and university staff members were saying over 20K tickets had been sold. I think the capacity of 11K is actual seats. Normally UNH will sell unlimited general admission tickets because so many can sit on the berm, stand along the fences (see the number of students standing in front of the fence in the student section end zone at the Holy Cross game), stand in multiple rows on top of the old grandstand and stand in multiple rows along the path to the parking lot with the visiting team's buses. You actually can get close to double the seating capacity with all the SRO capability. And on a nice day, more SRO folks could go onto the concourse in the new grandstand. Saturday it was filled with people standing under cover rather than sitting in the rain.

I was there too and it is pretty easy for me to think there were 22K people tailgating. Boulder Field was sold out, but obviously some people didn't show up, still it was mostly full. The A Lot area was sold out for the first time in my memory. Lewis Field (old baseball field) was used for the first time and also sold out. And it was packed with cars and canopies. I had friends with tickets who parked off campus and walked in and tailgated with me. I met other people who did the same thing. UNH has had previous Homecoming crowds of 18-19K plus the past few years. With the additional parking this year, 22K is entirely feasible.

Did the university go overboard touting a record crowd, absolutely. But let me play devil's advocate. What other CAA school besides Delaware and JMU has ever sold 21,942 tickets for a home game? How often did Richmond in City Stadium do that since they joined the Yankee Conference in 1986? Outside BC, UConn, some Harvard-Yale games and long ago games at Fitton Field (Holy Cross), how often does New England see 21,942 tickets sold for a college football game? And they were charging $30 for a general admission ticket!! And if you didn't have a season's pass for parking in Boulder Field, IIRC it cost $50 to buy one for this Homecoming game! I don't know what they charged for A Lot or Lewis Field, but I'm pretty sure it was at least $20. This wasn't some giveaway promotion, people shelled out serious money regardless of whether they entered the stadium! BTW, the requirement to have a ticket to enter Boulder Field has been in place for many seasons now.

If I'm the university, I'm going to publicize the record number of people who had purchased tickets too. Personally, on bad weather games I'm always more interested in tickets sold. You guys can nitpick over the attendance, but I'm sure the university is more interested in the revenue from Saturday's game than the number of people who actually braved the rain to enter the stadium. In fact I don't think they even scanned the tickets at the gate. They took the stub from mine and ripped off part of the 8.5 x 11 print out from that type. Why not celebrate the number of people interested in returning to their Alma Mater and that a football game was the vehicle to do that? Only 14 seasons ago, probably only 4-5K showed up.

Thumper 76
October 3rd, 2016, 10:08 AM
What is most likely true is that 21,942 tickets were sold. The game was announced as a sell out on Friday. I was at an event on Friday and university staff members were saying over 20K tickets had been sold. I think the capacity of 11K is actual seats. Normally UNH will sell unlimited general admission tickets because so many can sit on the berm, stand along the fences (see the number of students standing in front of the fence in the student section end zone at the Holy Cross game), stand in multiple rows on top of the old grandstand and stand in multiple rows along the path to the parking lot with the visiting team's buses. You actually can get close to double the seating capacity with all the SRO capability. And on a nice day, more SRO folks could go onto the concourse in the new grandstand. Saturday it was filled with people standing under cover rather than sitting in the rain.

I was there too and it is pretty easy for me to think there were 22K people tailgating. Boulder Field was sold out, but obviously some people didn't show up, still it was mostly full. The A Lot area was sold out for the first time in my memory. Lewis Field (old baseball field) was used for the first time and also sold out. And it was packed with cars and canopies. I had friends with tickets who parked off campus and walked in and tailgated with me. I met other people who did the same thing. UNH has had previous Homecoming crowds of 18-19K plus the past few years. With the additional parking this year, 22K is entirely feasible.

Did the university go overboard touting a record crowd, absolutely. But let me play devil's advocate. What other CAA school besides Delaware and JMU has ever sold 21,942 tickets for a home game? How often did Richmond in City Stadium do that since they joined the Yankee Conference in 1986? Outside BC, UConn, some Harvard-Yale games and long ago games at Fitton Field (Holy Cross), how often does New England see 21,942 tickets sold for a college football game? And they were charging $30 for a general admission ticket!! And if you didn't have a season's pass for parking in Boulder Field, IIRC it cost $50 to buy one for this Homecoming game! I don't know what they charged for A Lot or Lewis Field, but I'm pretty sure it was at least $20. This wasn't some giveaway promotion, people shelled out serious money regardless of whether they entered the stadium! BTW, the requirement to have a ticket to enter Boulder Field has been in place for many seasons now.

If I'm the university, I'm going to publicize the record number of people who had purchased tickets too. Personally, on bad weather games I'm always more interested in tickets sold. You guys can nitpick over the attendance, but I'm sure the university is more interested in the revenue from Saturday's game than the number of people who actually braved the rain to enter the stadium. In fact I don't think they even scanned the tickets at the gate. They took the stub from mine and ripped off part of the 8.5 x 11 print out from that type. Why not celebrate the number of people interested in returning to their Alma Mater and that a football game was the vehicle to do that? Only 14 seasons ago, probably only 4-5K showed up.

It's called attendance, not purchases. As in how many attend the game. Not how many purchased a ticket and stayed home or couldn't be bothered to enter the stadium.

Panther88
October 3rd, 2016, 10:13 AM
56,184 for the State Fair Classic at the Cotton Bowl between Grambling and Prairie View.

I read an online paper where att was listed @ 56K but the official att, as reported by the SWAC, was "Attendance: 53182."

Still a fine showing.

RootinFerDukes
October 3rd, 2016, 10:18 AM
It's called attendance, not purchases. As in how many attend the game. Not how many purchased a ticket and stayed home or couldn't be bothered to enter the stadium.

I don't disagree personally, it's the dictionary definition of the word attendance. However, the NCAA has defined in their rules that attendance can be "tickets sold" which pretty much allows schools to announce whatever bogus numbers they want. Georgia State has said something like 15k when there's supposedly maybe 300 persons in the seats. Kent State once "sold" 8k or so seats to a sponsor, Pepsi, who tried to give them away as free promo to the community. They said 11k but photos showed it was probably 3k at best.
I haven't heard of schools counting tailgaters as attendance yet though. That is a first.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 3rd, 2016, 10:24 AM
I don't disagree personally, it's the dictionary definition of the word attendance. However, the NCAA has defined in their rules that attendance can be "tickets sold" which pretty much allows schools to announce whatever bogus numbers they want. Georgia State has said something like 15k when there's supposedly maybe 300 persons in the seats. Kent State once "sold" 8k or so seats to a sponsor, Pepsi, who tried to give them away as free promo to the community. They said 11k but photos showed it was probably 3k at best.
I haven't heard of schools counting tailgaters as attendance yet though. That is a first.

I seriously doubt that the 21,942 is a bogus number, they sold that many tickets. They don't count tailgaters, they count tickets sold.